Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Onsen towels?

I need a towel refresh, and I'm intrigued by these waffly quick drying towels but also concerned that they sound thin. Or maybe that's good. Does anyone have them? Like them? Dislike them? I also worry that they're billed as "the internet's favorite towels," because ewww.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 17, 2021 2:29 PM

Haven’t tried them, but I love thin towels. I think they absorb water better and they dry on a towel rack quickly. I’ve got a thin cotton waffle-y towel that I stole from a hotel in Reykjavik 25 years ago. It’s my favorite towel for that reason. Those thick plush things just push the water around.

And fabric softener makes it worse. My sister loves the thick plush towels and uses a ton of Downy. They’re like trying to dry your skin with greasy velvet.

by Anonymousreply 1September 8, 2021 1:04 PM

I used Gilden Tree's modern waffle towels for years, and while I liked them, and never had any lint issues with them, I wanted something a bit heavier weight.

I debated buying Onsen towels, but wound up buying Imabari towels from The Citizenry instead. They have a higher GSM, and I wanted them in natural, as opposed to Onsen's Oatmeal.

I have been very happy with the Imabaris. They still dry quickly, and don't leave lint behind. The are holding up very well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 8, 2021 1:05 PM

Have had Onsen towels for nearly three years and they are in the same shape as they were at purchase. Really happy with them.

by Anonymousreply 3September 8, 2021 1:16 PM

I have Lady Pepperell. Knew you'd want to know this, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4September 8, 2021 1:22 PM

Why do you need towels?

by Anonymousreply 5September 8, 2021 1:27 PM

A waffle towel sounds kind of scratchy to me. I don't mind waffle fabric dressing gowns as they are breathable, and if the skin is wet they press on and take a bit of mositure. But I like towels fluffy, especially after they have been laundered several times. But I really hate fluffy towels loaded up with fabric softener. I ditch fabric softener and add half a cup of Epsom salts, it makes fluffy towels soft and does not over condition/alter absorbability.

by Anonymousreply 6September 8, 2021 1:43 PM

IKEA makes a full size bath towel that’s thin, for $2! They dry quickly, have an eyelet stitched in so you can hang it, and you can use a fresh one every day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 7September 8, 2021 1:49 PM

I just bought Onsen towels and have used them for about a week. They do dry you off quickly and the towels themselves also dry out quickly. However, they do feel flimsy (almost to the point where you think you could poke your finger through the weave). So, for me, the jury is still out. I've only laundered them once with virtually no lint. Fluffy towel, OTOH, when laundered the first time usually fills the lint trap.

by Anonymousreply 8September 8, 2021 1:49 PM

Mmmmm .... waffles ......

by Anonymousreply 9September 8, 2021 1:52 PM

We're waiting until Mike Lindell releases his towel line.

by Anonymousreply 10September 8, 2021 1:53 PM

[quote] A waffle towel sounds kind of scratchy to me.

r6 have you tried them?

[quote] I just bought Onsen towels and have used them for about a week.

r8 please keep me/us posted!

by Anonymousreply 11September 8, 2021 2:10 PM

Gilden Tree Classic Waffle towels are a bit stiff and scratchy. The Modern Waffles and the Citizenry towels aren't scratchy at all.

by Anonymousreply 12September 8, 2021 2:15 PM

"Onsen" - really?

Get an actual Japanese towel - Mizu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 8, 2021 2:17 PM

[quote] "Onsen" - really?

what does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 14September 8, 2021 2:20 PM

and, no, r13, I don't want "Color-changing bacteria detection."

by Anonymousreply 15September 8, 2021 2:21 PM

Onsen refers to hot springs in Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 16September 8, 2021 2:22 PM

R11, No I haven't. I might pick up a set as some backup towels though.

I like towels after they are hung outside in UV to dry. I wonder if drying them outdoors makes them as stiff and dry as cardboard?

by Anonymousreply 17September 8, 2021 2:23 PM

Do the towels come with him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 8, 2021 2:25 PM

This Onsener even feels comfortable enough to flash us a glimpse of penis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 8, 2021 2:27 PM

Yuppies are still around?

by Anonymousreply 20September 8, 2021 2:36 PM

helpful and clever r20

by Anonymousreply 21September 8, 2021 3:39 PM

Bumping in case there are any more votes before I go buy towels!

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2021 1:21 PM

I grew up with thin towels and thought that was the only way they come.

Then I went to a good hotel and felt luxurious thick bath towels.

Those are what I use now.

Hilariously, my siblings all came to my house, felt the towels, and were amazed that none of us knew thick towels existed.

by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2021 1:41 PM

If you're the same poster who's underwater with credit card debt, then no you don't need to be spending that kind of money on over-priced bath towels.

For $50 you could probably hire someone to towel you off.

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2021 1:53 PM

I'm not that poster r24, and I don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2021 2:06 PM

I still want good towels that won't bankrupt me. Medium blue, please.

by Anonymousreply 26December 15, 2021 1:19 PM

They beat Pampers.

by Anonymousreply 27December 15, 2021 1:34 PM

Thick terry cloth towels are fine if you live someplace with low humidity. Otherwise, they never dry out properly.

by Anonymousreply 28December 15, 2021 1:49 PM

agreed r28. so any reccos?

by Anonymousreply 29December 15, 2021 2:51 PM

I only use Turkish bath towels. They are paper thin and definitely take getting used to at first, but they’re the best bath towels I’ve ever had. No other kind of bath towel absorbs water from your skin better. And they dry very quickly. And because they’re so thin they fold up into very small bundles so they take up almost no space when you store them. Highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 30December 15, 2021 3:10 PM

I love this thread. I feel like I time traveled to 1952.

by Anonymousreply 31December 15, 2021 3:15 PM

I’m with r7. I refresh my plain white bath towels from either IKEA or Costco which sells them by the bundle. I would be hard pressed to come up with even one name brand towel. I like nice things but my only requirement in a bath towel is that it is clean and dry.

by Anonymousreply 32December 15, 2021 3:25 PM

I don't like soft thick fluffy towels. Thin is better.

by Anonymousreply 33December 15, 2021 3:42 PM

Repeating R1 (and probably others), for drying purposes, "cheap" thinner towels are always better for me - like basic gym towels. There's all sorts of thicker and softer towels that look nicer and might feel better, but in terms of drying, basic towels are always the best.

by Anonymousreply 34December 15, 2021 3:46 PM

[quote] I love this thread. I feel like I time traveled to 1952.

...when you were 20?

by Anonymousreply 35December 15, 2021 3:51 PM

Yes R35!!

I think they had the same discussion in Better Homes & Gardens that year.

I am serious that I do enjoy this thread though. I need new towels too.

by Anonymousreply 36December 16, 2021 1:16 AM

I use the classic waffle Gilden Tree. Best thing I ever did was get their bath mat; I wash it every time I do the towels. Don't know how I ever used the rubber-backed mats.

by Anonymousreply 37December 16, 2021 10:20 PM

You’re happy with the Gilden towels? I do t know that co

by Anonymousreply 38December 17, 2021 1:57 AM

Yes. They have held up pretty well. Some people like their modern waffle line, but the classic (thinner, tougher) dries out in a snap.

by Anonymousreply 39December 17, 2021 2:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!