Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The UK set to change the law to allow people to freeze their embryos, sperm or eggs for up to 55 years.

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2021 6:25 PM

Also covered in more detail in The Guardian for those with an aversion to the Daily Mail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 6, 2021 9:10 AM

I’d like to see the future legal problems this will create. Should estates set aside a portion of the inheritance for an heir embryo, or could they sue for it 55 years later, including interest?

by Anonymousreply 2September 6, 2021 9:15 AM

r2 It is not a blank 55 year renewal. Fresh permission has to be given every 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 3September 6, 2021 9:20 AM

Some varied and interesting comments on this news !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 6, 2021 10:05 AM

Some are seeing this as sinister and connected to the vaccine, a fallback incase a new word order cull goes too far....!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 6, 2021 12:36 PM

Why 55 years?

by Anonymousreply 6September 6, 2021 1:27 PM

I don't understand having it that long. Use them or lose them. Instead of a big conspiracy, I think it's just money related, with them having a larger catalogue of DNA, since fertility treatments are growing in popularity. Not trying to drag a trans debate into this thread (please don't go there), but I am wondering if that's related too. Minors are taking drugs that destroy fertility and are warned to store eggs/ sperm beforehand. 55 yrs is quite excessive though. I could see maybe 3 decades.

I guess you never know what's really going on behind the curtain though. Maybe with pollutants, climate change threats, the threat of global illnesses, growing demand for designer babies, and people having kids so late, they're getting prepared. It can't be cheap though, and there's been clinics that have lost everything from a simple electric failure.

by Anonymousreply 7September 6, 2021 1:33 PM

Is this them caving to right-wing loons who think destroying the embryos is tantamount to an abortion? That would explain the extremely strange length of time. This is going to affect scientific research because that's where a lot of the unused embryos used to go.

by Anonymousreply 8September 6, 2021 1:40 PM

r8 Ww don't really have abortion wars in UK politics like in the USA. It isn't really a party political issue here and those who want abortion banned are in a tiny minority compared to the USA.

by Anonymousreply 9September 6, 2021 2:48 PM

r6 Good question. We have had a few but increasing number of cases in the UK of men in their seventh or older having children with younger women. News presenter Jon Snow springs to mind. I guess the 55 year rule is to cater for that trend so people can't say they are being discriminated against and also maybe making it such a big increase so that they don't have to keep coming back and revising the law to increase the number of years?

by Anonymousreply 10September 6, 2021 4:30 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 7, 2021 3:22 AM

Embryo frozen for over 27 years resulted in a baby last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 7, 2021 9:38 PM

Frozen is never as good as fresh.

by Anonymousreply 13September 7, 2021 9:46 PM

Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 14September 7, 2021 9:49 PM

r14 Which aspect in particular?

by Anonymousreply 15September 7, 2021 9:59 PM

r13 Are you sure your talking about embryos here?!😁😉

by Anonymousreply 16September 7, 2021 10:00 PM

The replies to this tweet are extremely suspicious and sceptical of the motives behind this to say the least!! A future way to make a slave population apparently!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2021 1:45 AM

Narcissism

by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2021 1:51 AM

It's inevitable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2021 2:03 AM

r18 Do you think the take up will be huge?

by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2021 2:12 AM

For the contingent who think life starts at conception, does that mean there are going to be a lot of 55 year old babies?

by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2021 2:12 AM

r21 Excellent question!! Do republican pro lifers pass much comment on frozen embryos?

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2021 2:13 AM

R22, they consider them all people. They protest against them being donated to scientific research or being destroyed, even if the parents want it. They also give them funerals. So, yes, they most certainly do. What I've never understood is that everything is "god's plan" until god tells them they shouldn't have any kids by making them infertile. Then, it's off to see the scientists. There is literally nothing the religious are not hypocritial about. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2021 2:23 AM

r23 Funerals? My God thats over the top.

Oh I agree pro lifers in politics can be so hypocritical.They are pro life until you are born and then economic and political dogma overtakes the life is sacred principle .I mean how many pro lifers are anti vax and were anti lockdown even though they saved lives?

by Anonymousreply 24September 12, 2021 2:26 AM

R24, don't forget that the majority of the pro-lifers are also pro-death penalty. Ultimate hypocrisy.

And, the term pro-life is even bullshit. They are pro-birthers. That's where them giving a shit ends because at that point it moves from controlling the woman to helping the woman and they wouldn't want to do that.

by Anonymousreply 25September 12, 2021 3:39 AM

r25 Excellent post. Their hypocrisy is staggering.

by Anonymousreply 26September 12, 2021 1:22 PM

An interesting new opinion column on the expansion of egg freezing although many of its points would apply to sperm and embryos too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2021 1:16 AM

In the grand scheme of things, very few people are freezing their genetic material. So all the handwringing about this being some failsafe for the NWO is just more paranoid fuckery from the usual lunatics.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2021 1:23 AM

r28 The new world order pandemic conspiracy theory tweets around this topic are a real trip to crazy town!

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2021 1:35 AM

Who's all set now to freeze their precious amazing sperm?

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2021 1:52 PM

How about those of dogs and cats? They are more than dear friends to me though.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2021 2:08 PM

Have you ever seen a chicken breast that has been in the freezer too long? Are we going to get a whole generation of desiccated, tough and bland babies born this way?

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2021 2:37 PM

r31 Is it true Babs cloned her dog?

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2021 6:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!