Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alternatives to Xanax.

My psychiatrist put me on Xanax for anxiety, and it seems to either not work at all, or it makes me feel like I'm moving through molasses the whole day, so I was wondering if there were any good, and effective alternatives.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 109September 14, 2021 12:07 PM

Buspar is okay

I've heard Ashwaganda (sp?) is okay too. It's a supplement sold in vitamin sections

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2021 10:55 AM

It's also super addictive. Have you tried GABA or Valerian root? Also, in the same class is Klonopin which stays in your body much longer and can be taken at night 2 hours before bed. That still works by morning. It's half-life is about 8 hours so 16 hours later it's still there in half a dose. Takes about 1 hour to hit. However, Xanax hits fast but has a 4 hour half-life. Also, be careful. As I wrote on the thread about Veganism...getting off it can be a bitch even for people with a huge support system and with a doctor and psych on call 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2021 10:57 AM

R2 Bitch don’t tell him to try Klonopin.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2021 11:06 AM

Just smoke copious amounts of pot, silly!

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2021 11:06 AM

Honey try a low dose of ssri or snri. Don’t take Xanax.

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2021 11:07 AM

Percocet.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2021 11:09 AM

R3 - I did tell him to be careful cuz it's also addicting. Plus, not like he can get it without a prescription. But seriously OP...why isn't your doctor trying non-habit forming stuff first and throwing addictive meds at you like they are candy?

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2021 11:13 AM

Tradazone works for me to handle general anxiety/sleep aid. I don't believe it's addictive chemically, but you may depend on it.

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2021 11:17 AM

It’s a fucking nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2021 11:20 AM

Can you just take a tiny amount of pot when needed? Like a thc mint 2mgs?

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2021 11:21 AM

UGH trazadone is horrible.....ancient drug

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2021 11:23 AM

I was on Klonopin for years. Not everyday but it helped control panic attacks. I moved and started going to a shithole clinic "Equatas Health" and they will not prescribe it. Now I just sit at home and never leave because I have panic attacks in public. I don't want to smoke weed. They really screwed up my anxiety meds. I used to be so level and now I don't have the medicine that helps at all.

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2021 11:29 AM

I have been on Trazedone. Garbage. I used to put it in a jar, pour bleach on it, and throw it away.

by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2021 11:30 AM

R12 - isn't there anywhere else you can go? I had the same after my partner died and all these clinics were focused on rehab so wouldn't prescribe it. I had shit insurance because I lost my job and was in a dark place. I finally found an old doctor who prescribed it and charged 80 bucks a visit. When I didn't have it, I just had a stiff shot and went out. I know...crazy but once out, it was better.

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2021 11:34 AM

R14 = Thank You. It sounds like you understand. The place I go to makes me feel like a dopehead for bringing it up. I have 3 and a half very old pills left for emergencies. Equatas had a Dopehead Needle Exchange---complete with dopers filling up their waiting room. Those are the people they should have worried about. I have never had a substance problem. They also implied if I see one of THEIR on staff counselors (I have insurance), I can adjust my prescriptions. If I have to see someone new I will just quit Equatas Health all together. Like I said--my meds were pretty stable and no problem and now they completely screwed it up.

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2021 11:41 AM

Both my doctor and a judge said that ivermectin might be a panacea. I take with my Laetrile.

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2021 11:50 AM

you have worms, R16?

by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2021 11:51 AM

R15 - yeah stay away from those clinics if you can...They used to make more depressed and they also screwed up my meds big time. I went on a desperate search and finally found an old-timer who was sane. I totally 100% feel you..

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2021 12:03 PM

Thanks R18...Appreciated...

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2021 12:14 PM

You don't use Xanax for anxiety, so your doctor is a quack. Try getting a doctor that has read a medical book since the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2021 12:18 PM

Ivermectin or bleach injections. Works every time.

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2021 12:18 PM

The guy feeling for you and telling you to find an $80 old timer dealer doctor is just another drug addict, OP. You’re panic attacks will level out. You say you’re not addicted to anything than know that you should absolutely not go back to using them for any reason. Low dose of ssri. They are what will smother the panic. Trust.

by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2021 12:23 PM

*using ‘them’=benzos

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2021 12:24 PM

Herbs: Valerian, motherwort, passiflora

Nootropics like N-acetyl cysteine.

Exercise

Quit caffeine. It’s a bitch. I did it. Helps.

My husband is on beta blockers for his blood pressure and they’ve mellowed him out.

Yoga or meditation

Something that gives me anxiety is procrastination and neglecting responsibilities. And some of that comes from from being overwhelmed and possibly ADHD. Is it possible that you need a different diagnosis?

by Anonymousreply 24August 31, 2021 12:27 PM

R22 - I am not a drug addict asshole and he's a pretty well respected physician with over 45 years of experience. The doctor in question was an independent practitioner and he gave it to me at the time in a combo with an SSRI. When I got better, he instructed that I cut it out by cutting 1/8 of a dose ever 2 months. After that, I was fine. This clinic is making this guy feel like an addict because a medicine was working.

by Anonymousreply 25August 31, 2021 12:32 PM

Cognitive behavioral therapy and vistaril

by Anonymousreply 26August 31, 2021 12:45 PM

Also Celexa as a control med. celexa is approved outside of the US for anxiety. In US it’s just depression, but most doctors will write it off label.

by Anonymousreply 27August 31, 2021 12:48 PM

5-HTP

by Anonymousreply 28August 31, 2021 12:54 PM

[quote]Tradazone

I OD'ed on that as a suicide attempt. Obviously it didn't work, but that was one of the most miserable, agonizing, experiences (woke up choking on my own vomit and almost aspirated to death).

I now can't even look at the word without getting flashbacks.

by Anonymousreply 29August 31, 2021 12:56 PM

OP, I haven't read every post in detail. And it sounds like you haven't been on Xanax for very long. Stop taking it now. You will have some weird dysphoria, but the longer you take it for the worse the withdrawal will be. I swear I would consult a nutritionist before taking benzos regularly.

by Anonymousreply 30August 31, 2021 1:02 PM

R20 Of course they still give Xanax for anxiety. Go take your ivermectin.

by Anonymousreply 31August 31, 2021 1:04 PM

Trazodone is great - I take it at night and it reduces anxiety and puts me to sleep. I wake up feeling rested. And it is not addictive like other sleeping pills.

by Anonymousreply 32August 31, 2021 1:10 PM

R27. All SSRIs and SNRIs are equally efficacious for anxiety. No one will fund studies to get FDA approval for a generic drug and most of these medications are generic.

by Anonymousreply 33August 31, 2021 1:14 PM

The very last thing you should do is get advice about which psychotropic drugs to take off the internet. Talk to your psychiatrist about getting a scrip for something else.

by Anonymousreply 34August 31, 2021 1:30 PM

R34, you’re right, of course, but it all depends on the psychiatrist. I have personally witnessed a loved one diagnosed and re-diagnosed and placed on wildly different drugs, according to whichever psychiatrist she’s seen. Her insurance is Medicaid, and these are clinic doctors who rotate. The hospital is one of the best in the US, so it’s not some shady deal.

She’s been diagnosed with depression, adhd and and bipolar, respectively. She’s been put on antipsychotics, SSRI’s, amphetamines and I forget what-all. There’s this attitude of “let’s try THIS!” and “that other guy didn’t take THAT into consideration.” It’s been years and no one is getting it right. It’s very frustrating to observe. I can’t imagine what it’s like to live through.

by Anonymousreply 35August 31, 2021 1:41 PM

I take celexa and it helps keep anxiety attacks at bay for the most part but not always. Several posters on here acting like experts on anxiety obviously have never had a real uncontrollable panic attack. Intense fight or flight reactions that come out of nowhere and continue. When I am having a major attack I try cohesive breathing and If it still persists I take a klonopin. Xanax was too much for me. Thankfully I haven’t had many panic attacks lately. I am trying to get a medical marijuana card so I can get a good quality cbd oil for emergencies instead of taking a Benzo

by Anonymousreply 36August 31, 2021 1:42 PM

Xanax is known for causing rebound anxiety. I prefer ativan, another benzo, all possibly dangerous depending on how you take. Melatonin is great and doesn't have the same risks for habit formation.

Psychotropics, SSRIs, NSRIs, Tricyclicss all can get complicated but you should have a Dr that doesn't make you feel badly for seeking treatment, and don't let them prescribe substances for side effects. Many Dr's do this bc of people misusing meds but it's not a good way to practice. Look for a biofeedback/neurofeedback practitioner for non drug treatment that changes your brain for the better.

by Anonymousreply 37August 31, 2021 1:44 PM

Gabapentin worked for me in an emergency situation. I was on it for a year.

Weening off involved rages over silly shit. I was able to keep my mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 38August 31, 2021 2:45 PM

Miltown, baby.

by Anonymousreply 39August 31, 2021 2:49 PM

Americans are lucky that doctors are so eager to prescribe Xanax. I would love some, and I think it would work well for the issues I have, but where I live doctors almost never prescribe benzos. I suppose the downside is the large amount of addicts created by the American health system.

by Anonymousreply 40August 31, 2021 2:55 PM

[quote]I suppose the downside is the large amount of addicts created by the American health system.

Yes, indeedy.

by Anonymousreply 41August 31, 2021 2:58 PM

I fucked up my life for years with benzos (all prescribed). Never again.

I do use Trazadone for sleep; it is not a benzo.

by Anonymousreply 42August 31, 2021 3:20 PM

R42 you use an antipsychotic which is known to cause heart problems.

R38 was being given a 50 yr old anticonvulsant for side effects. Since it's rise in popularity as a pain medication (causes a fog in the brain that prevents neurons from reaching their receptors), but now people are misusing it and dying because Narcan doesn't work on non narcotic overdoses.

Know what you're taking before you let yourself be experimented on by drs who are essentially throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks. If you want natural look at non drug therapies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 31, 2021 3:31 PM

I've tried every anti depressant out there and finally settled on Cloneazepam, .25mg, taken SPARINGLY. I supplement with THC drops / a joint wherever feasible.

Cloneazepam is a benzo so addictive and absolutely should not be taken with alcohol. I also do not recommend it for anyone who has addictive tendencies given its addictive properties. I use it mainly for sleep when I do use it. Which, again, is not often.

I've learned that anti depressants do more harm than good at least for me. That molasses feeling you allude to happens with all of them and I just cannot go thru life like that.

by Anonymousreply 44August 31, 2021 3:55 PM

R44, I was told that molasses feeling was how normal people feel all the time.

by Anonymousreply 45August 31, 2021 4:06 PM

What's missing from all these posts is dosage. Most doctors and shrinks, when they prescribe benzos or anti-depressants, ask you to take too much of the drugs. Or, they don't pay enough attention to your personal reactions. I take kloponin daily but although my doctor prescribed 1 -2 mgs a day, I started off at .25 and realized quickly I could go down to .125, which is all I need to be less anxious at night (my bad time).

Medical professionals pretend that they know each of our bodies better than we do. They don't. 2 mgs of one drug might work for one person while .2 works for another. We're all different. The key is to figure out on your own your best dosage.

by Anonymousreply 46August 31, 2021 4:14 PM

R43. You seem to have limited understanding of psychotropic medication.

Trazodone is NOT an antipsychotic (which act primarily on certain dopamine receptors and, to lesser extent, histamine and serotonin receptors.

It is an antidepressant. It is in the category of SARI drugs (serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitors)

Are you by chance a scientologist? Just asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 47August 31, 2021 4:19 PM

Gabapentin 300 tid or 600-800 tid is a good alternative to benzos. I work for Talkspace and I can't prescribe controlleds (which I LOVE, I get no drug seekers and harassment over prescriptions for benzos and stimulants) and I have many patients responding well to Gabapentin, many in conjunction with a SSRI.

by Anonymousreply 48August 31, 2021 4:22 PM

We use trazadone for the dogs when a big thunderstorm is coming or for fireworks, works pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 49August 31, 2021 4:26 PM

R47 No, just spent years working in pharmacology and am not an advocate of using medications for side effects, but it's your brain and body, do what you feel is best.

Do you actually think that the AIDS unit I'd linked to is an e-meter?

by Anonymousreply 50August 31, 2021 6:27 PM

R25 Because a medicine is working? You ARE a drug addict, cunt. Benzos shouldn’t be rx’d for over 6 fucking days in a row. So STFU with your old man side doctor you had to go seek out.

by Anonymousreply 51August 31, 2021 6:55 PM

I don't know about other benzos but it takes someone 6 weeks to become an addict on Xanax. 6 weeks. You CANNOT take Xanax everyday. Try Kava Kava, OP. I heard that it's great for anxiety, never tried it myself. Legal and non-addictive, although tolerance does go up after awhile, so use it sparingly. There are many different types of Kava Kava also so don't be afraid to experiment.

by Anonymousreply 52August 31, 2021 8:56 PM

R31 - I must be the weirdest drug addict on earth then since I had no problem stopping it and that was in 2015. What I take now is Valerian root. And it was the old doctor that you call a quack that informed me of the potential of dependency and gave it to me for a total of 6 months. He also wasn't an OD but rather an MD. These centers? All they do is cater to all kind of junkies and their doctors are students or nut jobs. Stop acting like a doctor unless you are one. You know what they do? They throw all kind of 60 year old medicine like Tradazone at people and, if it doesn't work, they throw something else at them. They don't do an evaluation, they don't do blood tests, and they don't (unlike my doctor) tell you to also seek out a holistic approach and work with your family doctor to make sure he's aware of your treatment.

by Anonymousreply 53August 31, 2021 8:57 PM

R22 = Shut the fuck up. You aren't a doctor. My Panic Attacks will not "level out" or go away. You fucking asshole. I have been diagnosed with PTSD.. My last prescription of Klonopin was 2 years ago and I still have 3 pills left. I use them for emergencies. You sound like a dumbass who says try YOGA for panic attacks. I DO qualify for medicinal WEED so I guess I have to become a pothead instead of taking Klonopin? Oh, that's just wonderful. I have always wanted my house to smell like weed and now I can!!...And of course my insurance doesn't cover weed so I get to spend MORE money when my proven medication Klonopin could just be paid for my insurance. ....R12 here...

by Anonymousreply 54August 31, 2021 10:51 PM

[quote]No, just spent years working in pharmacology...

If you did, then you're a real idiot not knowing that trazodone is an antidepressant and not an antipsychotic.

by Anonymousreply 55September 1, 2021 12:06 AM

I was able to control my anxiety for many years with Lexipro and a great psychotherapist. Unfortunately, recent life stressors triggered profound anxiety and my primary care prescribed Klonopin (.05) “as needed.” It’s become a nightly habit but, frankly, I find its effects to be quite subtle. I would never “recommend” any psychotropic medication to anybody since we are each unique in our chemistry. But I’m thankful for modern science that simply helps me get through my days (and nights).

by Anonymousreply 56September 1, 2021 12:25 AM

I've been taking Lamictal and it has been helping with my anxiety. Normally it is prescribed for bipolar, but in lower amounts it can help with anxiety. I took Clonopin years ago and loved it, but can only get a script now for 3x per week usage. So I fill the Clonopins and save them up for an emergency.

by Anonymousreply 57September 1, 2021 12:40 AM

I want to try CBD, THC, or just straight-up marijuana, because I hate the foggy/clumsy feeling Xanax causes, and I'm also worried about becoming dependant on it, unfortunately, I go to what is essentially one of a chain of psychiatric clinics dotted around the area, and I was told, if I tried anything "natural" they'd kick me out, and close my file.

by Anonymousreply 58September 1, 2021 1:04 AM

r58 They would have no way to prove it if you were taking CBD, so you can go ahead and try it.

by Anonymousreply 59September 1, 2021 1:07 AM

If you have anxiety pot may exacerbate that. Try thc-free CBD gummies. I take 500 mg but you can get a higher dose. They help for sleep too. Good luck. Anxiety can eat you alive. A low dose SSRI may help too.

by Anonymousreply 60September 1, 2021 1:15 AM

Only my experience, but the calm of weed boomerangs into nervous energy and anxiety as it wears off.

It's why I lose weight when smoking; I clean, organize, and move around a lot.

At the moment, I'm off caffeine and mainlining cat memes. Alcohol throws me into deep depression.

by Anonymousreply 61September 1, 2021 1:39 AM

R61 We may have similar brain chemistry. I cant do weed, the anxiety is unbearable and drink lost its euphoric effects years ago.

by Anonymousreply 62September 1, 2021 2:40 AM

R57 My Dr. prescribed me lamictal. What dose are you at?

by Anonymousreply 63September 1, 2021 2:41 AM

Chamomile tea ,works like a charm...two bags . STOP TAKING THE XANAX... i took them in the ninties...it took a week of not sleeping to get over them. The week was horrible ! I haven't taken them since

by Anonymousreply 64September 1, 2021 2:44 AM

Just take copious amounts of ambien, silly.

by Anonymousreply 65September 1, 2021 5:54 AM

my old psychiatrist put me on ativan----he was kind of a jerk, jaded and annoyed most of the time

my new one who is young and just like a text book (he says I like this whatever drug because the bonding nucleus or whatever attaches better---its like chemistry class.)

Surprisingly he changed me to old fashioned valium and it does seem to work. He says he really likes the effects of valium. I think it must be less addicting. It's pretty fast acting so I take it when I'm in a state of anxiety. There are somedays when I don't even use the three per day I'm prescribed.

by Anonymousreply 66September 1, 2021 6:00 AM

Lexipro. CBD tincture drops in the morning. Good hybrid cannabis with both THC and CBD properties in the evening with two glasses of red wine a night. It has saved me during this past 18 months. I still get panicky about once every 3-4 months and will take a half of a 0.5 Xanax pill. I need the immediacy but I don't particular like the way I feel- too drowsy. So I need to learn about something that is super fast acting. other than a shot of tequila.

by Anonymousreply 67September 1, 2021 6:22 AM

R32. So what happens to your sleep if you don’t have any trazadone?

by Anonymousreply 68September 1, 2021 7:53 AM

Habit forming? Even fucking Tylenol can be habit forming! So what is the problem? Well, habits may be bad for those with OCD, but habits in and of themselves are harmless. And we all have some habits. Maybe you don’t wake up fully before your morning shower and a cuppa joe. Sounds like afucking habit to wake you up. Better fucking get rid of those nasty habits because if you don’t bathe and have no coffee, you might not make it to the office on time. And you know what that means, dontcha? Bye bye job! Save yourself all that trouble then and just slit your wrists now while you’re still head.

I can’t believe all these people marinating themselves in kool aid.

by Anonymousreply 69September 1, 2021 8:51 AM

To help me sleep I take an Ambien. Two Melatonins (5 mg each). A shot of Nyquil z 10% alcohol. I sleep like a baby.

by Anonymousreply 70September 1, 2021 9:45 AM

R54 - ignore that moron. The fact is that addiction clinic wasn't allowed to prescribe Klonopin because of all the crazies and druggies so they wanted to give me an ancient anti-psychotic that could cause all kind of nasty side effects or Tradazone which made me so sleepy I couldn't drive. Finally, after searching through a bunch of independent practitioners in the San Fernando Valley, many of who came across as nothing more than glorified drug dealers who proposed EVERY addictive benzo without a care in the world, I found someone who explained half-lives, addiction potential, the take as needed to prevent dependency, the idea of monitoring sodium levels and working with an SSRI in combination and who presented a treatment plan. It worked and in 6 months I was good as new and cut the 1 mg of Klonopin as per his instructions perfectly in 1/8 mg doses taken at the exact time each day for 2 months. The fact is few doctors really care these days...just wanna throw shit at the wall hoping something sticks and don't take a holistic approach. He also suggested cognitive behavioral therapy in conjunction with medication and, yes, power yoga or cardio in the early evenings. Worked like a charm. No way you should be popping Xanax and remember, it has a short half-life so be weary of addiction potential. The best solution? First talking to the doctor about your concerns and how, if possible, to avoid the "dependency rabbithole". Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 71September 1, 2021 10:03 AM

Over the past ten years I've been taking Ativan and then Klonopin every day .5 a day. When I run out after about 30 hours I get a really bad headache, can't sleep, have no appetite and my anxiety goes way up and is almost constant. I don't want to stop it because overall my meds combo has been working for a while. The PA says she's not worried about addiction because it's such a small amount.

by Anonymousreply 72September 1, 2021 7:40 PM

R72 - I don't know. It's a small dose. Still, I would get a second and third opinion maybe. Personally, I was glad to finally get rid of Klonopin though...one less thing to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 73September 1, 2021 9:27 PM

OP don’t just stop taking the Xanax without some medical supervision, you could have seizures. Definitely look for a new doctor who will take your insurance. Telemedicine has opened up a lot more resources. Even if you have to drive a few hours for an initial in person appointment it might be worth it.

Xanax should only be used for situational anxiety, like getting through a trial or funeral. I would have zero confidence in a doctor who prescribed it to manage an anxiety disorder and panic attacks.

I also suffer from it and have not had a panic attack in several years. My GP gives me a scrip for 10 Valium per year at my annual physical. If I need more he’s referring me back to the psychiatrist. I haven’t taken any in at least three years.

I’ve had several epic panic attacks, two required ambulance calls and oxygen administered, one was at work and I hid in my office building’s loading dock until everyone went home for the night. The best advice I ever got from a therapist is that I will not die during a panic attack. Knowing I have meds and some coping mechanisms (breathing exercises, or singing if I can’t breathe — you can’t sing if you can’t breathe so being able to sing helps me realize that even if it FEELS like I cannot breathe, I am getting oxygen.

I also gave up caffeine and cut way, way back on alcohol. I realized that those three epic panic attacks were within 24-36 hours of heavy drinking. I will still have a couple of drinks and get a buzz, but I don’t sustain that buzz for hours and don’t get drunk anymore. Weed doesn’t agree with me. It makes me paranoid, makes my heart pound and ratchets up my anxiety. Hot showers and physical activity, especially walks before bed, also help push the anxiety down.

Good luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 74September 1, 2021 10:21 PM

Xanax is not only highly addictive, it changes your brain. I use it very occasionally as a sleep aid. I literally only take it when i am planning on going to sleep because it will put me to sleep in 90 mins or less.

I'd find another doctor. So many other anti-depressants that will level out anxiety as opposed to taking xanax, which hits you like a mack truck

by Anonymousreply 75September 1, 2021 11:10 PM

I have generalized anxiety disorder, and for many years have been on a combo of Lexapro and wellbutrin that keeps my anxiety, not to mention depression, pretty well in check. Never been prescribed a benzo, and I reckon it's just as well. I've been through withdrawal from another substance (kratom), and never want to do that again.

On a non-drug note, you might try googling "vagal nerve" and do some research in that area. I have been trying some of the methods for stimulating this nerve, and I think it's working, but it's too soon to tell. But the latest research indicates that it is possible to move your nervous system from the "fight/flight" end of the spectrum closer to the "rest/digest" end. I am giving it my best shot.

I have also found a series on YouTube called "Therapy in a Nutshell" to be helpful. She talks a lot about feeling and processing emotion which is good for me as I've discovered that sometimes anxiety results from my repressing "forbidden" emotions, usually anger or sadness. If I can recognize the emotion and work through it, my anxiety will evaporate.

Good luck, OP. Know, if nothing else, that you are not alone in this struggle.

by Anonymousreply 76September 2, 2021 12:50 AM

the brain chemicals that cause anxiety, also cause depression. Anxiety and Depression are interrelated. You need to go to a better Psychiatrist who can ask about all your symptoms. This way a medication that can treat your symptoms can be identified. If you get on the wrong medication, it will not work.

It does take time to get use to medication.

by Anonymousreply 77September 2, 2021 12:57 AM

QUESTION = Has anyone tried the HEMP GUMMIES?. I noticed you can get them on Amazon. I am just curious if they help with Anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 78September 2, 2021 2:12 AM

Checking in on OP, any luck finding another doctor?

by Anonymousreply 79September 5, 2021 4:59 PM

Op here, I'm still looking R79 I live in a small town in a pretty rural area so I might be looking for a while.

by Anonymousreply 80September 5, 2021 5:02 PM

I've been dealing w/ anxiety my whole life and I was thinking about what R1 said - Buspar is typically the alternative. DO NOT START ON THE BENZO PATH. My MD prescribed me Klonopin 15 years ago and our strategy is a long term plan. I never deviate from the dosage or abuse it, but if I even want to get off it, the physical withdrawals are like worse than heroine. You can't just stop or you could end up in the hospital. It takes about a year of a slow taper to do it properly and it's just a nightmare to even think about dealing with. Hard work outs, yoga. meditation, talk therapy and maybe EMDR or CBT - all the effective cliches could be the answers. Ketamine therapy is also supposed to be working wonders for depression - not sure about anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 81September 5, 2021 6:25 PM

I’ve been in Trazodone for years. It helps me sleep without fail.

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2021 6:29 PM

I have trazadone as one option to try to wean off the benzos. I haven't taken it. One of the (probably rare) side effects is the never ending boner that needs draining at the hospital, so I am scared to try it.

by Anonymousreply 83September 5, 2021 6:45 PM

OP start with a large regional medical center/hospital group even if it is not all that near you. Telemedicine is the way of the future.

by Anonymousreply 84September 5, 2021 6:50 PM

R81 - how much Klonopin did he have you take that it is worse than heroin? I mean, my old-school doc said to cut 1/8 mg for 2 months at a time. It was easy that way. Also, when I forgot to take it, I was just unable to sleep at most. Also, while cutting down, it was tempting to go back but I found Ashwagandha or Valerian root tea and a glass of wine helped me chill out. Once I was off for good, I would work out at the gym at about 6 so that after that, and a solid but healthy meal, I slept like a baby.

by Anonymousreply 85September 5, 2021 10:06 PM

Good advice in this thread, in general. Benzos are incredible for situational anxiety, but are generally not a good idea for long-term management. Weed is also immediately effective, but people like me get the rebound anxiety badly. Booze is just terrible for you physically.

Antidepressants get a bad rap because of the side effects, but Zoloft has been the only thing to help me get the core of my anxiety under control. With that and a beta blocker for the now-infrequent panic emergencies, I finally feel like Im in control somewhat.

by Anonymousreply 86September 5, 2021 10:22 PM

[quote]Just take copious amounts of ambien, silly.

Doctors don't want to write scripts for Ambien either

by Anonymousreply 87September 5, 2021 10:48 PM

R87 = Yeah. I had that problem last year with my doctor. After NOT refilling my Klonopin at all. I said flat out I would find another doctor if they did not refill the Ambien and they shut up about it. This yoga and meditation bullshit wasn't going to fly with me. I have a telemedicine appointment within the next two months and I think I will bring up the Klonopin again. Maybe it is time to find a different doctor who doesn't makes me feel like I am there to score dope. Honestly Klonopin is the only thing that has helped my panic attacks.

by Anonymousreply 88September 6, 2021 12:25 AM

r78, delta 8 gummies. I take with melatonin and sleep like a baby.

Hydroxyzine Hcl is a great, non addictive, non benzo panic attack medication that is pretty easily prescribed.

by Anonymousreply 89September 6, 2021 12:49 AM

Has anyone tried the Hemp Gummies you can buy at the store? Or the Hemp Oil?

by Anonymousreply 90September 6, 2021 12:57 AM

R90, yes I'm currently taking hemp oil that has a defined amount of CBD and no THC. I like what it does -- it feels like lubricant for the grinding metal gears that are my brain. Sleep feels more restful, and I look a little better and feel a little stronger. I seem to be freed from endless anxious rumination. I do kind of miss feeling things intensely, which can be frustrating at times, but maybe it's just an adjustment I need to get through.

by Anonymousreply 91September 6, 2021 1:07 AM

Opium, smoke a little. Night night.

by Anonymousreply 92September 6, 2021 1:09 AM

Vistaril gave me serious cognitive issues

by Anonymousreply 93September 6, 2021 1:19 AM

R91 = Thank You. Appreciated. I think I will try it.

by Anonymousreply 94September 6, 2021 1:38 AM

I love my benzos enough to not want to get addicted to them. I won't take them more than three days in a row or more than 5 mg total a month. This has worked well for me in terms of a release valve. My first prescription was for 1 mg three times a day. I took the first pill and knew that this was a bad plan. Now I get 30 x 0.5 mg once every six months. My psychiatrist isn't worried about it.

by Anonymousreply 95September 6, 2021 1:55 AM

[quote] Honestly Klonopin is the only thing that has helped my panic attacks.

Same. My MD's are pretty cool with it b/c I have been taking the same 3mg of Klonopin every night. I'm 40 and will eventually want to get off, but it works for me. It regulates my sleep and cured my panic disorder. I have never upped or changed my dosage in 13 years. I don't like being physically dependent on it. The withdrawals kick in after about 24-48 hours and they are not pretty. I've never gone much longer than that.

by Anonymousreply 96September 6, 2021 8:09 AM

R96, 3mg is a LOT. That's a high dose

by Anonymousreply 97September 13, 2021 4:13 AM

Trazadone is AWFUL. I had good luck with Klonopin. Xanax was horrible. Try Klonopin. It was a lifesaver for me.

by Anonymousreply 98September 13, 2021 5:16 AM

R96 - wow...that is a high dose. My doctor only said to take 2 mg in case of an emergency (which never happened) and not to drink. But I mean he gave me 0.5 mg starting and didn't want to go to 1 mg unless absolutely necessary. Said cutting it would be hell if I got used to such high doses. With pills like 1 mg or 0.5 mg you cut it in 1/4 when you want to stop every 2 months. That's how I got off it after I was better.

by Anonymousreply 99September 13, 2021 12:19 PM

R1 had a good suggestion that was never mentioned again in the thread.

I've had a lot of success with Buspar/buspirone. I've had a pretty debilitating anxiety/panic disorder most of my life, but with it my almost-daily generalized panic has subsided. I can still get anxious, but it doesn't descend into outright panic. I am able to manage what now feels like a natural feeling. My only concern is that I have been on it for years, so it doesn't seem quite as effective as it did a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 100September 13, 2021 12:57 PM

I did order some of the Hemp Gummies after posting last week. I do find them helpful. I have taken them twice in the last week (2 gummies each time). Definitely a little bit of a short term calming effect.I read a lot of reviews and some people said they didn't get any benefit and I had zero expectations of these working but I definitely felt a change, though not a continual longer effect I would get with Klonopin. I also got Hemp Oil but have not tried it yet.

by Anonymousreply 101September 14, 2021 12:20 AM

Moving far, far away from one's birth family.

by Anonymousreply 102September 14, 2021 1:48 AM

Whatever you do, DO NOT ask your psychiatrist.

by Anonymousreply 103September 14, 2021 1:49 AM

A puppy.

by Anonymousreply 104September 14, 2021 4:08 AM

This puppy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 14, 2021 4:09 AM

Where can one mail-order hemp gummies? I live in a state that still illegal.

by Anonymousreply 106September 14, 2021 8:34 AM

Have you tried upping the calcium and magnesium?

by Anonymousreply 107September 14, 2021 9:28 AM

R106 = I got them on Amazon. They do not get you high they are made from Hemp Oil. No CBD.

by Anonymousreply 108September 14, 2021 9:44 AM

I get stuff here and chocolate from blue Planet Chocolate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 14, 2021 12:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!