Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Middle East will become inhabitable before 2100.

According to Germany’s Max Planck Institute, many cities in the Middle East may literally become uninhabitable before the end of the century due to climate change.

This summer, several picturesque countries in the Middle East became tinderboxes. As extreme temperatures and severe droughts ravaged the region, forests burned, and cities became islands of unbearable heat. In June, Kuwait recorded a temperature of 53.2 degrees Celsius (127.76 degrees Fahrenheit), while Oman, the United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia all recorded over 50 degrees (122 degrees). A month later, temperatures in Iraq spiked to 51.5 degrees (124.7 degrees), and Iran recorded a close 51 degrees (123.8 degrees).

Worst of all, this is just the start of a trend. The Middle East is warming at twice the global average and by 2050 will be 4 degrees Celsius warmer as compared with the 1.5 degree mark that scientists have prescribed to save humanity. The World Bank says extreme climatic conditions will become routine and the region could face four months of scorching sun every year. According to Germany’s Max Planck Institute, many cities in the Middle East may literally become uninhabitable before the end of the century. And the region, ravaged by war and mired in sectarianism, may be singularly ill-prepared to face the challenges that threaten its collective existence.

Since the region is split between haves and have-nots, it is the poorer cousins of the oil-rich countries that have been the first to face social disorder over the lack of basic amenities, such as water and electricity, that people desperately need to survive the extreme heat. These countries are ruled by ineffective governments, autocrats, or clerics and have dilapidated energy infrastructure and deep-rooted structural deficiencies that block the promotion of and technological innovation in renewable energy. Experts say political and economic reforms that strengthen institutions and promote businesses to think freely are essential to reduce carbon emissions and ensure a shift to clean energy in the Middle East.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 18, 2021 7:40 PM

What a pity.

by Anonymousreply 1August 29, 2021 3:56 PM

Literally!

by Anonymousreply 2August 29, 2021 3:56 PM

OP means "uninhabitable". It already is, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 3August 29, 2021 3:57 PM

I didn't realize that they were habitable now.

by Anonymousreply 4August 29, 2021 3:57 PM

It couldn’t happen to a nicer hellhole.

by Anonymousreply 5August 29, 2021 3:58 PM

And where will they all go?

by Anonymousreply 6August 29, 2021 3:58 PM

I hope the EU has a plan how to keep them out!

by Anonymousreply 7August 29, 2021 3:58 PM

So it literally IS hell on earth over there in more ways than one.

by Anonymousreply 8August 29, 2021 4:03 PM

Thoughts and Allah.

by Anonymousreply 9August 29, 2021 4:09 PM

What a pity.

—the rest of the world, humming, filing nails...

😂

by Anonymousreply 10August 29, 2021 4:10 PM

In the 70s people were told the entire world would be inhabitable by 2000.

by Anonymousreply 11August 29, 2021 4:13 PM

"may literally become uninhabitable"

As opposed to uninhabitable

by Anonymousreply 12August 29, 2021 4:15 PM

R6 To your house! Better get the guestroom ready.

by Anonymousreply 13August 29, 2021 4:15 PM

[quote]This summer, several picturesque countries in the Middle East...

Now there's a lie.

by Anonymousreply 14August 29, 2021 4:15 PM

R2 literally

by Anonymousreply 15August 29, 2021 4:16 PM

R11, you’re such an asshole. No such idea was generally held at all. In fact, the outliers in the scientific community predicted a new ice age, not global warming. The glacial predictions were a big deal in the media back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 29, 2021 4:22 PM

Maybe Russia can take them. The central part is basically empty and Russia's population is shrinking anyway.

by Anonymousreply 17August 29, 2021 4:26 PM

The rich cunts there don't spend the summers in their own countries. They are in London and other cooler parts of the world.

My friend knows some rich cunt who spends the whole of August at a 5 star hotel in NYC (the whole family). yeah, the kind that charges 800 bucks a night, for a whole month. They do that every year. But that was before the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 18August 29, 2021 4:28 PM

All because of selfish cumskins and their consoomers.

by Anonymousreply 19August 29, 2021 4:28 PM

They’ll all move west, climate migration will soon begin.

by Anonymousreply 20August 29, 2021 4:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 29, 2021 4:38 PM

What will happen to the oilfields? Will they all blow up if wildfire rages across the region? Will the carbon content rise so drastically, the rest of the planet will become inhabitable too? And will Bezos and Musk be able to escape the planet in time?

by Anonymousreply 22August 29, 2021 4:43 PM

Who will be Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques if the two holy mosques are no longer there to be custodied?

by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2021 4:44 PM

R1 The rest of the world will be stuck hosting them.

by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2021 4:46 PM

It will certainly solve a problem.

by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2021 4:46 PM

People really don't know the difference between the words "inhabitable" and "uninhabitable'?

by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2021 4:47 PM

Not just the Middle East.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 29, 2021 4:47 PM

Allah is punishing them for all their sins.

by Anonymousreply 28August 29, 2021 4:47 PM

[quote] It will certainly solve a problem.

Like Moriah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 29, 2021 4:50 PM

The region will fine once the Jews go back to Europe or Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2021 4:50 PM

Just ten thousand years ago the Sahara was a wet mild savanna teeming in humans and animal life. The globe sported one to 15 million humans, I really doubt their Flintstones cars turned the Sahara into a desert.

Qaddafi had been heavily engaged in a large scale project to reclaim large tracks to the Sahara, but unfortunately some outside government had him killed before the project got very far,

by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2021 5:28 PM

[quote]Qaddafi had been heavily engaged in a large scale project to reclaim large tracks to the Sahara, but unfortunately some outside government had him killed before the project got very far,

Muammar, a man and his dream. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2021 5:37 PM

At some point the west is going to start refusing entry.

by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2021 2:57 AM

Ghaddafi was killed by his own people.

by Anonymousreply 34September 12, 2021 5:50 AM

Shit happens

by Anonymousreply 35September 12, 2021 6:06 AM

"Climate change". So much more acceptable than OVERPOPULATION, FAILED SOCIETIES, TRIBALISM, ISLAM.

by Anonymousreply 36September 12, 2021 6:11 AM

r34 I remember years ago I saw the video where after the rebels captured Gaddafi they pull down his pants and poke his ass with a stick for no reason at all.

by Anonymousreply 37September 12, 2021 6:23 AM

News flash: the Middle East is uninhabitable now by anyone with a post 700 A.D. mindset.

by Anonymousreply 38September 12, 2021 7:41 AM

Fuck those insects. Someone ask me once if I could eliminate all Muslims with the snap of my finger, would I? Fuck, yeah.

by Anonymousreply 39September 12, 2021 1:00 PM

The world would definitely be better without Islam. Pretty much all Islamic countries are hell holes of human rights abuses, corruption, crimes and medieval backwardness.

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2021 11:41 AM

Same, r4. I saw OP's headline and though, "well, good for them, maybe that'll solve a few problems" but then I read the article and realized it was a typo.

I do kind of thing the problems plaguing the Middle East will eventually resolve by the fact that no one will be able to continue to live there.

by Anonymousreply 41September 14, 2021 11:45 AM

*think, not thing

by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2021 11:45 AM

They really are, R40

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2021 11:46 AM

See, if only we had stayed in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria for another 80 years we could have waited them out.

by Anonymousreply 44September 14, 2021 11:47 AM

Oh no Israel

by Anonymousreply 45September 14, 2021 11:48 AM

Will probably get FF for this, but I am Lebanese, and it's heartbreaking what is happening to the region. Unfortunately due to a number of concerns (I noticed nobody in this thread said Western imperialism, proxy wars, resource pillaging, and interference), climate change [and COVID] are honestly the least of their concerns. There is no action plan, and no money going toward this. People are too busy trying to not be killed, and to put food on the table.

While i'm not surprised at the callous comment in this thread, I would caution posters that no country will be safe from (eventual) climate change. It's all fun and games now, but shit is about to get real. Even in Western utopias like USA, UK, Australia. And it will probably happen in all of our lifetimes.

by Anonymousreply 46September 14, 2021 11:48 AM

All costal cities will be submerged soon

by Anonymousreply 47September 14, 2021 11:57 AM

R46 Lebanon used to be an unmitigated disaster with 18 confessions vying for power and control, often assassinating one another when the going got tough. When 1 million Lebanese came together to kick the Syrians out, al Assad said that he would destroy Lebanon. And that's exactly what he did as a conduit for Iran's missiles and materiel. In 2008 in Doha, Lebanon ceased to exist as something that passes for an independent country and Iran, in the voice of Hassan Nasrallah, became Lebanon's de-facto ruler.

by Anonymousreply 48September 14, 2021 12:02 PM

Don't y'all rag-head bitches even THINK of coming down here. We're full!

by Anonymousreply 49September 14, 2021 12:03 PM

Lebanese, Rose. Not Lesbians!

by Anonymousreply 50September 14, 2021 12:04 PM

Okay. I'm thinking tacos for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 51September 14, 2021 12:05 PM

Allah hates them.

by Anonymousreply 52September 14, 2021 12:05 PM

Antartica has been claimed, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 53September 14, 2021 12:09 PM

Israel will be able to use science and technology keep it thriving. Large swathes of the land was inhospitable when Jews resettled their ancestral land, even the land that was ruined due to unsustainable Arab colonial farming actions, and the Jews (the ones who were not already there) restored it. They will do it once more.

The rest of the middle east, where people care more about hating Jews than helping their own people, will burn.

by Anonymousreply 54September 14, 2021 12:13 PM

The Middle East will become a big OVEN r54

by Anonymousreply 55September 14, 2021 12:20 PM

Middle Eastern countries (except for Israel) are completely dependent on technological expertise from the West, since they value religion and religious education over anything else. When Western engineers no longer want to live and work there they are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 56September 14, 2021 12:27 PM

You mean the Middle East is actually inhabitable now?

by Anonymousreply 57September 14, 2021 12:29 PM

Ah, Ugly Anscher found this thread early and has commented often.

by Anonymousreply 58September 14, 2021 12:29 PM

[quote]In the 70s people were told the entire world would be inhabitable by 2000.

It’s interesting, how often rightwingers lie to make their point. It’s like they know they’re wrong on the facts, but they still want the wrong thing they want, so they just lie to get it.

by Anonymousreply 59September 14, 2021 12:31 PM

R58 you'd think he'd need to sleep off the meth binges.

by Anonymousreply 60September 14, 2021 12:36 PM

The same uninhabatability will happen for large swaths of California, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Nevada, New Mexico, the Gulf, etc.

by Anonymousreply 61September 14, 2021 12:40 PM

We can all move to Siberia

by Anonymousreply 62September 14, 2021 12:43 PM

This is the indirect effect of climate change on human beings...if this happens, then Middle Eastern people will need to relocate, and that will cause a lot of conflict, and it will only be the beginning. More anti-immigration xenophobia around the world, more religiously based violence, more warring over territories, possibly genocides.

And it's all a given. Human beings understand that these things inevitably happen, along with disease, overpopulated areas, famine, contaminated food and water, and yet we do not change our behaviors to prevent it. We continue living greedily until the greed causes chaos and disaster.

We pride ourselves on being "the most intelligent species" because we understand things like this, and then we prove we are nothing but dumb animals who live according to instinct and not intellect and self-destruct.

by Anonymousreply 63September 14, 2021 12:47 PM

But it’s our promised land

by Anonymousreply 64September 14, 2021 12:50 PM

R63 ALL of which could be solved in a generation with just two words, POPULATION CONTROL. The only two words that will save the planet from wars, disease, famine, contaminated water/food, migration/invasion. But no one, not the UN, not NGOs, not governments, not no one wants to utter those two words. Keeping people hungry, keeping them worrying about where their next meal is coming from, is the primary tool used to keep despots in power, i.e., hungry people don't have time to challenge the ruling power. THAT'S the sole method to the keeping silent about population control madness.

by Anonymousreply 65September 14, 2021 12:53 PM

R65 Could be in theory but not in practice because we are intelligent enough to know how to avert disaster but too dumb to do it because selfish animal desires make us dumb animals.

by Anonymousreply 66September 14, 2021 3:49 PM

Who cares. What a bad area and land. I don’t get why people here are so into middle eastern men. They’re hairy entitled and act like children.

by Anonymousreply 67September 14, 2021 4:50 PM

Propublica says that the ENTIRE southern half of the United States ( including the Southeast and the Southwest) will be uninhabitable by the year 2070 and that there will be mass migrations of people to the Northeast and the Upper midwest.

by Anonymousreply 68September 14, 2021 4:56 PM

R68 Where did you see that? I found this from a year ago, and it projects that climate will be less ideal for human life and will lose some crop production, but not become uninhabitable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 14, 2021 5:01 PM

[quote] Propublica says that the ENTIRE southern half of the United States ( including the Southeast and the Southwest) will be uninhabitable by the year 2070

From the very first Earth Day onward the script has been the same. Three generations of doom hysteria. But by now they have learned to extend the timeline far enough into the future so the audience won't yet again actually see the predictions not only fail fail but look ridiculous.

𝟭𝟴 𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘂𝗹𝗮𝗿𝗹𝘆 𝘄𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗽𝗼𝗰𝗮𝗹𝘆𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗰 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 𝗺𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗮𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗘𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗵 𝗗𝗮𝘆 𝗶𝗻 𝟭𝟵𝟳𝟬

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 14, 2021 6:32 PM

R69- Here is a link to the article- scroll all the way down to the photo of Erika Gonzalez and her son packing their car in the dark- read the paragraph right below the photograph.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 14, 2021 8:32 PM

I live in Phoenix. It's very hot the majority of the year. I personally hear more complaints about the cold. (Under 70 degrees) You get used to your environment.

by Anonymousreply 72September 14, 2021 10:33 PM

R70 maybe it won't be as catastrophic as predicted, but I think they're trying to get people to take some action. Anyone with eyeballs, that observes nature, can see a change in a small amount of time.

In my area, weather has been more extreme, no matter what type of weather. Animal behavior has changed and plants are struggling. There's an increase in insects that carry disease. A rare tick disease, rarely found, was reported this spring after multiple people were bitten. The fresh water quality is suffering as well, with much higher ecoli levels, due to weather.

It might not seem so bad, but small changes can lead to bigger consequences. Our crops are going to have a tough time combating droughts and invasive conditions. Since we genetically engineered them, there's not enough variety to save them if they're too compromised.

by Anonymousreply 73September 14, 2021 10:47 PM

To add to the misery, there's been a quiet battle to privatize water. The public is fighting back, but it's not enough. States like New Mexico are passing legislation quietly, allowing landowners the right to own water that passes through. It's become so nasty, these landowners are placing barbed wire across rivers and large creeks to punish trespassers. There was even a murder involving a kayaker.

Some South American countries privatized all water and the people are really paying for it. This should be a warning to us.

And don't think it's not bad just because the upper classes are going about their business. There's a reason Bush bought an aquifer in South America years ago. There's a reason billionaires are snatching up property in places like NZ, where they build bunker like mansions... just in case. There's a reason Gates is invested in agricultural interests.

Obviously I can't confirm their motives, but it's something to keep an eye on. Maybe it's just all about money, but maybe there's more to it.

by Anonymousreply 74September 14, 2021 10:57 PM

I'll be dead by then.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 75September 14, 2021 11:01 PM

I wear hoodies in 90 degree weather. I welcome 150 degrees.

by Anonymousreply 76September 14, 2021 11:09 PM

R71 It says 10 percent of people will flee northward, not that the south will be actually inhospitable to life.

Still a major change for the worse that will affect the country, but they predict that 90 percent will remain in the south by 2100.

by Anonymousreply 77September 14, 2021 11:13 PM

The middle east needs to solve their own problems!!!

by Anonymousreply 78September 14, 2021 11:14 PM

The end of the world has been predicted since it started. Still waiting.

by Anonymousreply 79September 14, 2021 11:25 PM

The middle east will be uninhabitable by 2050, not 2100.

by Anonymousreply 80September 14, 2021 11:29 PM

And where are gay men going to go when billions of Muslims flood the West?

by Anonymousreply 81September 14, 2021 11:30 PM

R81 - More importantly, where are ugly old American gay men with a little money going to go for young husboys once Thailand is under water?

by Anonymousreply 82September 14, 2021 11:32 PM

R82- You mean for young LADYBOYS

by Anonymousreply 83September 14, 2021 11:34 PM

I don’t think gay men will exist for Thai Ladyboy’s in 50-100 years.

by Anonymousreply 84September 14, 2021 11:39 PM

Shall I start investing in cheap houses in detroit and north dakota then?

by Anonymousreply 85September 14, 2021 11:40 PM

Not as a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 86September 14, 2021 11:42 PM

Yes, I'm buying a summertime lake house in Manitoba!

by Anonymousreply 87September 14, 2021 11:51 PM

Over the past few years, I could agree to allowing a limited amount of migration from the middle east into the western countries if those western countries were involved in the wars waged in MENA over the last 20 years. HOWEVER, emptying out the middle east into western countries purely because of climate change isn't going to fly with citizens of those countries. Western countries should require African countries and Muslim countries that are still habitable to take these refugees in if those countries are receiving aid.

by Anonymousreply 88September 14, 2021 11:54 PM

Mother Nature making the world a better place…

by Anonymousreply 89September 15, 2021 12:05 AM

[quote] "will become..."

Because it isn't already. Okay.

by Anonymousreply 90September 15, 2021 12:15 AM

The fun part will be watching the Muslims and Israelis try to outlast each other over their sacred real estate. I hope their stubbornness causes millions of deaths on both sides.

by Anonymousreply 91September 15, 2021 12:23 AM

[quote]nobody in this thread said Western imperialism,

Islamic imperialism lasted centuries longer than what you think the West is doing now. You just have to look at Afghanistan to see how Islamic hell holes turn out once western forces leave the country.

Until the middle East seriously changes and adapts to reformation and enlightenment, the region will always be hell holes.

by Anonymousreply 92September 15, 2021 9:28 PM

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!!

by Anonymousreply 93September 16, 2021 11:44 AM

R93 - Meh, I feel fine.

by Anonymousreply 94September 16, 2021 11:45 AM

[quote]HOWEVER, emptying out the middle east into western countries purely because of climate change isn't going to fly with citizens of those countries. Western countries should require African countries and Muslim countries that are still habitable to take these refugees in if those countries are receiving aid.

Speaking as a Brit, didn't most of our wealth come from invading, occupying and looting many of those countries? Looks to me like the chickens have come home to roost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 16, 2021 12:26 PM

Once people are extinct, the earth will cleanse it self and maybe the next form of “ intelligent” life will be smarter.

by Anonymousreply 96September 18, 2021 7:19 PM

I hope it's the bees R96, they deserve the chance to take over the Earth.

by Anonymousreply 97September 18, 2021 7:36 PM

Geez, OP, that's, umm, rather a big mistake you made in your subject line, isn't it? A word of advice: If you ever again feel it necessary to start a thread, you might want to spend 30 seconds to adequately proofread your one-sentence subject line.

by Anonymousreply 98September 18, 2021 7:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!