Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Havana Syndrome

Anyone have any clue what this is? I know it’s not really new, but not a lot of info on it

Vice President Kamala Harris' departure for Vietnam was delayed by several hours Tuesday afternoon after her office was informed by the US embassy in Hanoi, Vietnam, of a "report of a recent possible anomalous health incident."

That term is the way that the government usually refers to the mysterious Havana syndrome that has sickened hundreds of US officials over the past few years.

"Earlier this evening, the Vice President's traveling delegation was delayed from departing Singapore because the Vice President's office was made aware of a report of a recent possible anomalous health incident in Hanoi, Vietnam. After careful assessment, the decision was made to continue with the Vice President's trip," said Rachael Chen, spokeswoman for the US embassy in Hanoi, in a statement.

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2021 6:47 PM

I've read about it. Some diplomats in Cuba a few years ago developed strange symptoms that seemed to indicate some kind of brain injury. People suspected some kind of microwave weapon. There have been a few other incidents elsewhere. Never solved but the symptoms were real and disabling. Cubans were blamed for it but I always suspected the Russians. It would certainly benefit Russia to drive a wedge between US and Cuba.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 24, 2021 11:05 PM

If the Russians attack an American vice-President, it could be the end of the world as we know it. I would not expect sanctions to be enough. There would be military action. Maybe destroy the Russian fleet and then Russia retaliates via nuclear strike. Then Russian ceases to exist.

by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2021 11:50 PM

Targeted Individuals

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2021 12:35 AM

Microwaves. The US should know all about them. We were early adopters. Acting all ignorant and indignant.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2021 12:54 AM

We can’t annihilate Russia without them annihilating us simultaneously. If we were to initiate a total nuclear assault, all that would be left would be Siberia, Inner Mongolia, and Kansabraskahoma.

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2021 1:01 AM

The name sounds sultry.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2021 1:02 AM

Yes I read about the Cuba ones. Half the time the sufferers were dismissed as hysterical which must’ve been infuriating. Some of them said it (whatever it was) was occurring in one room but if they walked into another room, it was fine.

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2021 1:03 AM

Honest and not facetious post: I stayed at the Hotel Nacional in Havana ~10 years ago and it was generally lovely! No brain injuries to write home about, and the linens were always changed daily. Maids and bellboys took tips and they were keen to earn them.

My only gripe was that towards the end of each week, their breakfast buffet (as well as the rest of Havana probably) apparently ran out of normal food. Instead of eggs and bacon and waffles, they served stuff like thawed frozen broccoli, chopped hot dogs, and empandas/croquetas.

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2021 1:10 AM

I think it’s a false flag operation. Eventually it’ll be blamed on some country we want to engage in a limited war.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 3:29 PM

It's happening more and more.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 4:43 PM

It makes my blood boil when ignoramuses want to dismiss it as ‘mass hysteria’ or a hoax or exaggeration. I’ve been mad about this ever since it was first reported. It is so obviously not “mass hysteria”, and the damage done to people’s bodies and brains is very real.

For a somewhat definitive account, read this article by Julia Ioffe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 4:53 PM

The more I read of this sort of stuff, the more I wish we as humans could be put to sleep like dogs rather than have to face some of this.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 5:00 PM

I'm sure our intelligence agencies know exactly what it is, and who's doing it. They're saving revealing it for a more strategic time, when we need to rile up the populace for some foreign intervention.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 5:04 PM

It's the Russians and Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 5:09 PM

R14, I've heard only the Russians. Where's the coverage about the Chinese?

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 5:10 PM

Yeah, the U.S. is really going to invade Russia. Sure.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 5:10 PM

R16, I think it's more about doing something related to cyberattacks or revealing information about Putin. Or sanctions and support for Ukraine (e.g., associated status with NATO). Etc.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 5:12 PM

Member of CIA chief's team reported Havana syndrome symptoms on recent trip to India

Washington (CNN)When CIA Director Bill Burns traveled to India earlier this month a member of his team reported symptoms consistent with Havana syndrome and had to receive medical attention, according to three sources familiar with the matter. The incident set off alarm bells within the US government and left Burns "fuming" with anger, one source explained. Some officials at the CIA viewed the chilling episode as a direct message to Burns that no one is safe, including those working directly for the nation's top spy, two sources said. The event marks the second time in less than a month that reported cases of the mysterious illness have impacted the international travel of top Biden administration officials. Last month Vice President Kamala Harris's visit to Vietnam was slightly delayed when multiple US personnel reported symptoms consistent with the syndrome just ahead of her visit, and at least two of them had to be medevaced.

Under Burns and the Director of National Intelligence, Avril Haines, the intelligence community has undertaken a wide-ranging investigation into the mysterious attacks, including a 100-day probe into the potential causes that began earlier this summer. While that investigation is expected to be concluded before the end of the year the time frame could be somewhat adjusted and there is no public report planned, two sources said.

"We don't comment on specific incidents or officers. We have protocols in place for when individuals report possible anomalous health incidents that include receiving appropriate medical treatment," a CIA spokesperson said. "We will keep doing everything we can to protect our officers."

The situation in India could have dramatic implications: the CIA director's schedule is tightly held and there are deep concerns among US officials about how the perpetrator would have known about the visit and been able to plan for such an aggression. The person traveling with Burns who experienced the symptoms in India received immediate medical attention when they returned to the US, sources said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 5:17 PM

US investigators have struggled to determine what or who is causing the mysterious symptoms, and how exactly they are doing it. Incidents of Havana syndrome began in late 2016 in Cuba and there have since been cases reported in Russia, China, Austria and other countries across the globe. CNN has previously reported that incidents also took place on US soil, including two staff members of then-President Donald Trump's national security council who were struck near entrance points to the White House. The ongoing incidents have put US diplomats and intelligence officials on edge leading up to the UN General Assembly in New York this week where diplomats from around the world -- including many US diplomats -- will convene in close quarters. Only a handful of the total reported incidents have occurred on US soil, but the gathering in New York is always viewed as a target-rich environment for espionage. President Joe Biden was recently updated on the overall situation -- including the fact that there are more than 300 possible cases, the kind of medical support being provided to those impacted, and the investigation into the matter that is led by the intelligence community. Over the summer the Director of National Intelligence, Avril Haines, launched the 100-day investigation into the "mechanism" behind the incidents, and efforts that could be taken to defend against the attacks. Putting a timeframe on it was part of an effort to drum up the intensity of the investigative effort, but the deadline could be extended if that is needed, sources said. There are also other ongoing investigations by the US intelligence community focused on the question of the perpetrator behind the incidents, which the US government calls anomalous health incidents or AHIs, and what the US can do to defend against these incidents. The US government is "pursuing multiple lines of effort" to investigate the Havana syndrome, a CIA spokesperson said. The spokesperson added that one of those efforts is led by ODNI and CIA officers as well as the outside scientific community to "to work collectively to increase our understanding of the possible mechanisms that could be causing AHIs." Since Biden took office his national security team has been keenly focused on probing the mysterious incidents and getting impacted US personnel the assistance they need. Secretary of State Tony Blinken spoke with US diplomats affected by the Havana syndrome earlier this month which marked his first meeting with those impacted, according to a State Department Spokesperson. The conversation came after CNN reported of frustration among rank-and-file staffers about how the department had handled the mysterious incidents. Lawmakers were initially critical of the Biden administration for not sharing regular updates on the mysterious incidents. But in recent months the administration, in an effort led by Burns, have made changes to the processes and support for those impacted and personnel working on those efforts.

"We've strengthened efforts to determine the origins of the incidents, including assembling a team of our very best experts -- bringing an intensity and expertise to this issue akin to our efforts to find bin Laden," a CIA spokesperson said. "The senior officer who leads the team spent more than a decade on counterterrorism issues and was a driving force in CIA's analytic and targeting work that led us to find bin Laden." Still, the incidents have continued to occur, leaving US diplomats and US intelligence officers on edge as they take on new assignments overseas.

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 5:17 PM

[quote] [R16], I think it's more about doing something related to cyberattacks or revealing information about Putin.

Yes. For which “riling up the populace” is not necessary.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 5:22 PM

US must have lousy spies if they don't have a handle on who is doing this and how. As bad as this Havana Syndrome is, the fact that we don't have the ability to do the same thing to them and know who is doing it for sure is really worrisome. What else don't we know about.

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 8:34 PM

This thing is really scary because no one knows where it's coming from

by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2021 10:19 PM

I blame Camila Cabelllo

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2021 10:27 PM

Long Range Acoustical Devices were first used in Pittsburgh in 2009 for "crowd control" G20 Conference. I was there. Lots of men in black suits observing, including Israelis.

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2021 12:16 AM

^ at the G20 Conference*

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2021 12:16 AM

Forgot to link this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2021 12:18 AM

I've read a little bit about it in the news. One of the articles said that the Cubans have the best domestic intelligence agency in Latin America and there was zero chance of something like this happening without their permission. That country still has a friendly relationship with Russia. There is a theory that the sickness is side effect of someone using powerful devices to try to steal info off of cell phones and laptops.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2021 10:31 AM

They already have malware they don't need to use this to steal info off phones and laptops. The Israelis have the tech to read any text on ANY phone in the world. This was already known for years, even 60 min had a story on this.

by Anonymousreply 28September 28, 2021 1:28 PM

[quote]Long Range Acoustical Devices were first used in Pittsburgh in 2009 for "crowd control" G20 Conference. I was there. Lots of men in black suits observing, including Israelis.

You can always count on someone blaming The Jews.

Sorry, I mean The Zionists.

by Anonymousreply 29September 28, 2021 1:39 PM

I think the point was that the US already has this technology, probably developed it, and has been using it and sharing information.

by Anonymousreply 30September 28, 2021 2:18 PM

can't they block this somehow? tin foil the whole apt?

by Anonymousreply 31September 28, 2021 2:34 PM

Sooooo just what are the symptoms? We're30 posts in and nuthin nada from anyone.

by Anonymousreply 32September 28, 2021 2:40 PM

Jesus Mary and Joseph r32, it's right in the OP's link:

[quote]Hearing strange grating noises, headache, hearing loss, memory loss, and nausea

by Anonymousreply 33September 28, 2021 2:46 PM

Link. Who opens links.

by Anonymousreply 34September 28, 2021 2:48 PM

Great article, but I still believe it's the nepharious act committed by shithole China after it used microwave weapons to blast Indian troops in disputed border region.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 28, 2021 3:19 PM

Covfefe.

by Anonymousreply 36September 28, 2021 3:41 PM

I watched an episode of that Chip and Johanna Gaines HDTV show a few years ago where Chip mentioned a flip they did concerning what they found directly beneath the dry wall in each and every room in the house. He either was or he feigned ignorance to what was found - he was utterly stymied by it, saying that he had gone over it again and again in his mind and he couldn't figure out why someone would do such a thing. Nevertheless, after the former owner went to all that trouble, they still vacated the house, obviously - hence the flip. What was found? Steel sheet metal beneath the dry wall in every room/wall surface. So called Targeted Individuals would understand right away. They're using cell phone towers and satellites, as well as the electrical grid.

by Anonymousreply 37September 28, 2021 10:09 PM

Either the US actually knows what it is and isn't saying because it doesn't want reveal what it knows or it's a psychological phenomenon. I don't believe that Russia (even less so China) has a weapon that's so far advanced the US has no knowledge or even intelligence of it.

by Anonymousreply 38September 28, 2021 10:17 PM

They probably stole the tech from US!

by Anonymousreply 39September 28, 2021 10:33 PM

[quote] or it's a psychological phenomenon.

It most certainly is not.

by Anonymousreply 40September 29, 2021 2:42 AM

[Quote] I don't believe that Russia (even less so China) has a weapon that's so far advanced the US has no knowledge or even intelligence of it.

Your faith is touching. Rolls eyes.

by Anonymousreply 41September 29, 2021 2:48 AM

Whatever it is, they used it on Simune Biles at the Tokyo Olympics.

'Twisties' my ass.

by Anonymousreply 42September 29, 2021 2:52 AM

Thank god for Data Lounge, where this mystery will be solved!

by Anonymousreply 43September 29, 2021 3:23 AM

Maybe it’s the carpeting or paints we choose for our embassies

by Anonymousreply 44September 29, 2021 3:31 AM

Obviously, they're catching Havana Syndrome from tainted door knobs and toilet seats!

by Anonymousreply 45September 29, 2021 3:37 AM

WTF is their end game? New report from NBC last evening. Targeted Individuals have suffered from this shit here within the boarders of these United States for DECADES! This blonde woman crying over so called "phantom touch" pisses me off! There are tens, probably hundreds of thousands of Americans who have suffered far, far greater abuses and for much, much longer. See the report:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2021 6:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2021 6:31 PM

Oh fuck off with the far left, Assange-asslicking, everything-is-a-CIA-op conspiracy bull, R47.

Like it’s so hard to believe that Russia or China are actually our adversaries and that they would have the capabilities to do this. Retard.

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2021 6:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!