Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where did Dior get all that fabric in 1947 Paris?

The war had decimated so much of Europe by 1947.

And the textile factories which weren't bombed had been already commandeered by the armies.

The lack of textiles was why womens' fashion had become so streamlined and staid during the war.

So where did Dior get those sumptuous fabrics? And SO MUCH of it?

He used enough fabric on one 1947 New Look skirt to have made five 1940-46 pencil skirts.

Where did he get it all?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 24, 2021 5:47 AM

From the United States of America

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2021 11:32 AM

Really? Those silks, and brocades?

Not possible.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2021 11:41 AM

The Marshall Plan?

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2021 11:45 AM

Trans working as literal slave labor provided it.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2021 11:47 AM

Elves, dear.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2021 11:50 AM

Nazi sympathizer?

Not sure what you’re alluding to, OP?

Honest question.

Do you think Dior had access to materials he couldn’t have otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2021 11:50 AM

Get you mind out of the gutter, r6.

I was only asking because no internet search I did turned up an answer, not because I'm trying to say that Dior was "a Nazi".

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2021 11:53 AM

OP, we’re talking FRANCE here! Haute couture was, and still is, a National Treasure.

Entirely different set of national values from the USA.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2021 11:55 AM

Nazi is more Coco's speed, isn't it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2021 11:55 AM

Well la Langue Française was a National Treasure too up until incredibly recently, r6.

But they still say "Le Weekend" now, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2021 12:01 PM

This won't be helpful, but I believe Dior and I has an explanation of how he and textile manufacturer Marcel Boussac got the fabric. I'm reasonably sure it was from the U.S. but I cannot remember. The extra fabric, especially in the "Cherie" dress, was deliberate, meant to signal the end of rationing and the beginning of a new era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2021 12:01 PM

WWII ended in 1945. 2 years later supply channels had improved. Apply the COVID TP model if you need a modern(a) model.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2021 12:01 PM

Ah! r11! Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2021 12:03 PM

[quote] but I believe Dior and I has an explanation

I don't know if that's an "Oh Dear", or if "I" is some designer's name.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2021 12:07 PM

I suspect r11 was referring to either a book or a documentary, r14.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2021 12:08 PM

"Dior and I" is the 2014 documentary.

I hate to say it but I've also seen "Les dessins de Christian Dior" (2018) subtitled and now I'm worried that's where I saw the information.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2021 12:11 PM

Despite the happiness of VE Day, everything was slow and painful for a long time after the end of the War.

Much of the time after VE was spent on local retributions of various types.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2021 12:12 PM

You are a glorious human being, r16, and just who I wanted to hear from.

Thank you.

MWAH!

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2021 12:13 PM

All I can find when I browse through Google Books are mentions that Boussac required Dior to buy fabrics from him, but no information on where Boussac was getting that fabric.

The "Bar" dress for instance is black Boussac fabric in the skirt and a silk shantung for the blouse that may have come from China, but I'm finding no details.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2021 12:22 PM

But China had been so destroyed during this period too - if it hadn't I'd have assumed it came from there.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2021 12:24 PM

But thank you very much, r19, for browsing through Goodle books on this subject.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2021 12:29 PM

Kamala will be wearing an A-Line at the Inauguration.

It will require a firm corset— and that will be a good thing in order to control any of Kamala's habitual spasms of laughter at inappropriate times.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2021 12:41 PM

r17 infers that some of the material may have been woven from treasonous French women’s hair.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2021 12:42 PM

Lol darling.

No one who hacks ups such constant cackles as Kamala could ever handle a Dior waistline, much less a Dior corset.

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2021 12:44 PM

Did I, mental patient at r23?

All I thought I was doing was pointing out was the general unrest in the country of Dior's atelier.

by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2021 12:46 PM

R23: R17 implies, you infer.

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2021 12:47 PM

[quote]Apply the COVID TP

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2021 12:50 PM

When Louis Jouvet first staged The Madwoman of Chaillot he asked the public to donate old clothes to be used as costumes, which is how the title character got her outrageous vintage outfit. Designers like Dior might have repurposed vintage gowns or even gone Scarlett O'Hara and used drapes and bedspreads.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2021 12:59 PM

here is a hint: Although he later faced criticism for his choices, Dior, along with various other fashion designers, found a steady market for haute couture in the wives of Nazi officers and the Berlin plutocracy, a controversial, problematic move, but one he justified as the only way to keep the fashion industry in Paris afloat throughout the war. 𝑰'𝒎 𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒑𝒆𝒅 𝒉𝒊𝒎 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒇𝒂𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒄 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒘𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒔.

another guess: When Dior’s friend, Balmain set up his eponymous business in 1945, Dior was spurred on by the competition. With financial support from the cotton fabric magnate Marcel Boussac, who had empty factory spaces sitting idle following the war, Dior was able to set up his own establishment at 30 Avenue Montaigne Paris in 1946, when he was 41 years old. Capitalising on the art world and commercial contacts he had been building up over the past few decades, he hit the ground running, 𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒇𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒂 𝒄𝒐𝒕𝒕𝒐𝒏 𝒎𝒂𝒈𝒏𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒔𝒐 𝑰'𝒎 𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒆 𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒅 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒏𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒑 𝒉𝒊𝒎.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2021 1:09 PM

Some old aristocratic lady in Normandy had thousands of rolls of silks, velvets and brocades stored away in a barn- just in case. Many of the first dresses of the "new Look' were produced from this supply. Of course, the dresses couldn't be sold to the public as they smelled strongly of bat shit and horse piss. But, it was a start.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2021 1:15 PM

Boussac agreed to finance Dior if Dior used his fabrics, r29. He wasn't simply a friend with connections. But where Boussac got the fabric, and where other fabrics like the Chinese silk came from, is difficult to find an answer to.

Dior didn't have Nazi wives as clientele, per se. He was working for Lucien LeLong who did, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2021 1:21 PM

After the end of the war, the new French government made restoring the production of French luxury goods a priority. This would not have been every country’s reaction, but in the case of France, it was a brilliant decision. The wine makers, perfumers, jewelers, and couturiers probably all got financial help.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2021 1:24 PM

1 to 2 years after the war, OP. And France was not destroyed in the war. And fabric production had gone to war needs but the factories were producing. They weren't bombed to hell. I can guess raw materials were ways down though. Finally, Dior was not dressing hundred of thousands of clients. It wasn't all that much fabric. How many couture customers could there have been in the late 40s?

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2021 1:28 PM

Very interesting thread. It reinforces the creed that are two types of gay men: The cognoscenti scaling the crests of the fine arts, letters, and sciences.

And those dumb as rocks.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2021 1:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2021 1:31 PM

Dior was often seen weaving in the streets of Paris late at night.

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2021 1:40 PM

[quote]After the end of the war, the new French government made restoring the production of French luxury goods a priority.

The government prioritized the elite's need for new luxury goods over the well-being of the peasants. Quelle... shock. Every government on this planet prioritizes the elite over the peasant class.

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2021 1:56 PM

The couture for Nazi Wives in Paris was part of the plot in a Joan Crawford WWII movie "Reunion in France". Of course, Joan tells them off as only Joan can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2021 2:57 PM

[quote] The Madwoman of Chaillot

I wish I could have seen Martita in the role instead of that Hepburn mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 24, 2021 1:35 AM

Real Nazi Housewives of Paris

Episode 1:

Freidrich's mutilated penis

Quick updates to all the tattoo lampshades

Unclicking heels during falatio

by Anonymousreply 40August 24, 2021 1:53 AM

[quote] The Madwoman of Chaillot

It was written as a gentle, fey comedy.

Brassy Angela Lansbury doesn't belong in gentle comedies.

by Anonymousreply 41August 24, 2021 5:07 AM

Jacqueline Susann’s last stage role was in a production of that play (which got awful reviews.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 24, 2021 5:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!