Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn’t Beyoncé get an Oscar nomination for ‘Dreamgirls’?

She was so beautiful and lovely throughout. It was easily her best role.

The nominees were

HELEN MIRREN- The Queen

PENÉLOPE CRUZ- Volver

JUDI DENCH- Notes on a Scandal

MERYL STREEP- The Devil Wears Prada

KATE WINSLET- Little Children

Honestly, she was better than at least two of those women nominated.

She looked so fucking fierce throughout the film. Beautiful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177June 29, 2022 7:51 AM

You're serious?

Beyonce? In that line-up?

How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2021 2:23 AM

Just stop OP

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2021 2:23 AM

Is this some sort of parody thread?

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2021 2:24 AM

Is OP Kanye West?

by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2021 2:26 AM

That Oscar lineup was pretty much set all season.

I thought Beyonce was very good in "Dreamgirls", certainly better than deer-in-headlights Jennifer Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2021 2:29 AM

If she would just star as a drug addicted pregnant prostitute in a movie with Dame Maggie Smith, she'd get her damned Oscar already.

by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2021 2:31 AM

The truly robbed person for that film was Eddie

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2021 2:36 AM

Loved Effie’s “One Night Only” version. Hated Deena’s version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2021 2:39 AM

Loved the finale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2021 2:40 AM

Love Beyonce is Dreamgirls. She was gorgeous to behold and held it down. I think her best acting work is in Cadillac Records though.

Kate Winslet and Judi Dench were equally good as Mirren that year. It's one of the first years I saw most Oscar films. I think Winslett is a most surprising and amazing actress. Little Children is some of her best work. Let's face it, Mirren was pretty fascinating. But Dench had the role that usually grabs the statue.

BTW, OP is a race baiter, looking for trouble. Faux naive question, meant to provoke shit talk about the most talented and beautiful Beyoncé. She's only the most popular and successful artist of the last two decades! We ❤ her.

The world loves Beyonce AND Jennifer Hudson. Get used to it RACIST TROLL. Dreamgirls is a fab movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2021 2:44 AM

She can’t act. A beautiful woman but no actress

by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2021 2:45 AM

That line-up was very good. And that wasn't one of Meryl's just a "name check" nomination. She actually deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2021 2:48 AM

R10 funny because I never mentioned race. I asked why she wasn’t nominated. If race is what you thought of, that’s your business.

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2021 2:49 AM

Looking fierce is not the criteria for winning an acting performance award, darlin.

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2021 2:54 AM

[quote]Faux naive question, meant to provoke shit talk about the most talented and beautiful Beyoncé. She's only the most popular and successful artist of the last two decades! We ❤ her.

YOU may. "We" do not.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2021 2:56 AM

Are you serious? Beyoncé is a terrible actress. The good actors in that movie were Eddie and Jennifer.

She’s not all that in the looks department either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2021 2:58 AM

OP/r13. I'm a gay black man under 40. It's the weekend on Datalounge. Your thread is race baiting, meant to generate hateful comments about Beyonce. You do it most every weekend. This IS my business. WE recognize your work. And the timing of it. Now put the bottle down old man and go the fuck to bed.

I hope you're dead by morning. No one will notice for weeks. Your cats will eat you. You're a gross ancient moldy white piece of faggy racist PUKE. That's you OP, aka, R13.

Listen to a KING. You're done here.

The world loves Beyoncé. Not only for her beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2021 3:03 AM

[quote] meant to generate hateful comments about Beyonce.

I'm not OP/R13, but this thread is generating "hateful comments about Beyonce" because most posters can't take her seriously as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2021 3:05 AM

I recall the final number included glitter cannons and a high energy number and remember thinking, Gah…that movie was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2021 3:10 AM

Even JLo playing a stripper hoe deserved more of a nomination than Beyonce

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2021 3:13 AM

J Lo killed that role. She did deserve that Oscar nomination

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2021 3:20 AM

OP is voting for his own posts! Racist hatemongers are the soul of DL!!

The thread will be cancelled in 3,2,1. It has only one intention. The OP is well known around here. Isolate his posts - and see for yourself. He's a sad, racist old drunk gay man full of hate and bitterness.

Kill the thread. F&F the OP.

by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2021 3:21 AM

R22 ok so you’re the one claiming to be black. I see. Only you arent.

There is nothing racist about my post.

by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2021 3:22 AM

I'm not black R23. I just looked at your other posts on DL. Your pretty obvious about what you do.

R10 was right about you. That's all.

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2021 3:29 AM

R24 what other posts of mine are racist?

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2021 3:41 AM

One thing I will say in favor of DREAMGIRLS: there are few movies where you'll get to see so many characters (including her own character's mother) tell Beyoncé she is pretty but soulless.

by Anonymousreply 26August 22, 2021 3:47 AM

Non classical singers should avoid this sort of thing [Puccini arias for tenors:] but JHud does a slightly better job of it than Aretha did. What a beautiful range Jen has to her voice. And what a great BIG voice it is. Nessun Dorma sit high and loud in the male voice with elongated notes and many high C's. Jen goes past that to an F#5.

The only thing wrong with Dreamgirls as a movie was the actual source material, aka the weakness of the play. Otherwise it is a beautifully produced, perfectly cast and performed musical film. Beyonce was the perfect choice for Deena. She delivered the part, the vocals and the stunning looks. No one expected her to be nominated for an Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 22, 2021 3:48 AM

I never understood the “soulless” comments about Beyoncé

by Anonymousreply 28August 22, 2021 3:55 AM

[quote] I never understood the “soulless” comments about Beyoncé

I think her mental dimness may come across as soulless to some.

by Anonymousreply 29August 22, 2021 4:00 AM

[quote]The truly robbed person for that film was Eddie

Couldn't agree more! I saw it within the first couple weeks of its release at a nearly packed theater. The two numbers that the audience went completely bananas for (thunderous applause, yelling out "Oh yeah!" and such afterward) were "And I Am Telling You" (naturally) and "Fake Your Way to the Top."

It was really great to see Eddie Murphy again, KILLING it, in a role truly suited to his talents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2021 4:01 AM

Beyonce cannot fucking act.

by Anonymousreply 31August 22, 2021 4:02 AM

Roll eyes.....................................

by Anonymousreply 32August 22, 2021 4:05 AM

The film wasn't that popular with the Academy. Entertainment Tonight treated it like the second coming and then it didn't even get a Best Picture nomination and Eddie Murphy lost when he was favored to win. (that may have been because he made a lot of enemies though and not because of the film.)

by Anonymousreply 33August 22, 2021 4:08 AM

The real question is why didn’t Judi Dench win for one of the most amazing performances ever captured on film. Helen was good but Judi was phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 34August 22, 2021 4:09 AM

Judi already had one. Helen didn't. She seemed due.

by Anonymousreply 35August 22, 2021 4:10 AM

They wrote "You Must Love Me" for Madonna to have an original song more in her house and vocal range for Evita. And Beyoncé given "Listen." She slayed it. It speaks to her show character, Deena, and a bit about Bey herself. About her own heart, talent and ambition. "I'm more than what you made of me" ....She still sings it to this day, if the spirit moves her.

Not beautiful? Soulless? Old white drunk racist gay men are crazy on Datalounge. Beyoncé was amazing. Like most seismic talents, she's reached true greatness with time. She's the most important musical artist of the last two decades. Simple as that. It ain't about old gays shaking their ass to Single Ladies. Fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 22, 2021 4:16 AM

She was the worst out of the three leads. Even that woman who did the voice of Princess Tiana was better than her.

by Anonymousreply 37August 22, 2021 4:26 AM

She was the only lead dear.

by Anonymousreply 38August 22, 2021 4:28 AM

No r38. Jamie Foxx was campaigned in Lead Actor.

by Anonymousreply 39August 22, 2021 4:30 AM

Probably because not as much a majority of the Academy that year preferred to vote for someone whose role consisted of working her wig, gowns and a mic.

by Anonymousreply 40August 22, 2021 4:31 AM

She is why I will never say a word against Helen Reddy or Olivia Newton John‘s attempts at acting ever again.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2021 4:35 AM

Beyonce is terrible in that Fatal Attraction rip off she did. She seems tongue tied most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2021 4:37 AM

I think it’s funny how some people assume that members of the Academy would love the chance to give Beyoncé an Oscar, even though they shut her down at every single opportunity. She wasn’t even close to an acting nomination for Dreamgirls, her song for The Lion King couldn’t even break into a weak field in that category, and they even specifically denied her credit for the nomination for “Listen.”

And that 2006 field was one of the best for that category in recent decades. The previous year was one of the worst ever, yet Beyoncé wouldn’t have come close even if Dreamgirls were released the year before.

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2021 4:39 AM

Beyonce didn't even win the Globe. I did.

by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2021 4:40 AM

There were no false notes in Beyoncé’s performance. She was wonderful. But same thing happened with Sheryl Lee Ralph who excelled in the OBC. They were both overshadowed by the loud, sassy chick who got knocked down and climbed right back up. I liked Hudson but loathed Jennifer Holiday on stage. Her acting was wooden and she sounded like she was pushing out a giant turd when she sang.

by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2021 4:41 AM

and ANYONE can win a globe. Even G has three.

by Anonymousreply 46August 22, 2021 4:41 AM

Madge won a Golden Globe for her substandard Evita. They really are the Emmy of movie awards.

by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2021 4:42 AM

[quote] They really are the Emmy of movie awards.

They are the Peoples' Choice Awards of movie awards.

by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2021 4:46 AM

They are racist and sexist now and cancelled for next year.

by Anonymousreply 49August 22, 2021 4:50 AM

Even the voice of "that woman who did the voice of Princess Tiana" ???

You mean Anika Noni Rose, R37. She is a very great talent. Won a Tony the first time out. Two years before Dreamgirls.

Everyone in Dreamgirls was top notch. Bey was the lead and fulfilled it beautifully. But as in the play, Effie stole the show. It's written that way. The film showcased the great Eddie Murphy and Jamie Foxx and Anika and JHud and the gorgeous and beautiful singing of Beyonce... and yes her acting too. She was never bad and if she was, it was edited out. She had a lot to do. It's a fucking great movie. The best cast and produced movie musical in decades. All those black folk upset you I guess, R37. Especially Miss Knowles.

As Diana Ross said about the film to Letterman: "No, I haven't seen it, because this is not a story to me....it is MY FUCKING LIFE! But I will be seeing it.... with my lawyers."

How sad for you R37 that you don't know the talents of Anika Noni Rose. It's not that she isn't known to be great. She just performed on the Kennedy Center Honors, beautifully. But there's only one Beyoncé. The STAR of OUR show.

It's only the racist intention of OP's thread that ignites this discussion. Beyoncé was not expected to be nominated for the Oscar. But Hudson grabbed people by the throat with her vocal performance and didn't let go.

Sheryl Lee Ralph is more personally dynamic than Bey - but she didn't break through to win the Tony Award either. It's not a thankless part, but the drama is in the music of Dreamgirls and that drama and songs is given to other characters.

Beyoncé was perfectly cast. She more than delivered Deena. Dreamgirls is a beautiful film to watch. And listen to. You should try it sometime R37.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 22, 2021 5:00 AM

[quote]As Diana Ross said about the film to Letterman: "No, I haven't seen it, because this is not a story to me....it is MY FUCKING LIFE! But I will be seeing it.... with my lawyers."

That never happened. Miss Ross would never have appeared on Letterman's show in 1982 when it was a little rinky dink late night newbie. And she wouldn't have sworn and she never really addressed Dreamgirls knowing it would only give it more publicity.

She did shockingly sing the song "Family" from it during her infamous rained out Central Park concert.

by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2021 5:05 AM

You're a liar R51. Diana Ross said both of those things. When the film came out.

by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2021 5:16 AM

To David Letterman? Provide a source or a link or else it didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 53August 22, 2021 5:22 AM

Miss Ross never appeared David Letterman's first show. Do you mean she said it about the movie? She did appear on his second show in early 2007.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 22, 2021 5:27 AM

I do love a sarcastic thread, OP.

by Anonymousreply 55August 22, 2021 5:36 AM

When you have the style, substance and musical expertise and talent that I do, when your posts aren't full of hate but are courteous with curiosity and illustrative of the subject at hand - you may politely question me, R53.

But y'all just a racist troll, trying to start ugly talk about Beyoncé. We won't be engaging. I work alone out here. You're an ancient white fag who loves his disco Diana memories. But is still a deplorable RACIST.

I wasn't born until 1983. I agree that Jennifer Holliday was a grunting inferior singer who sounded like she was taking many, many shits and belching up the rest of her dinner when she sang. She is devoid of musical artistry, which is why she only shits out that one song. The movie and JHud offered a huge improvement on the material.

Miss Ross is a golden charmed silvery voiced beauty. I love her. Though her most popular music is not of my time. She did say those things. I know for a fact. The Letterman interview I mentioned is on your Google machine old man R53. All of the hate posts here are from you. Shall I copy and paste or write them in cursive for you gramps? When they untie you and change your diaper, look up Diana Ross on Letterman yourself. She's didn't say fuck there, but it is quoted many other places. She did say she would be attending the movie with her lawyers. You're a very old fool.

Can't stand a young hung tall muscular handsome and musically gifted black KING. Can you. Why not die? In your sleep. Put everyone out of your misery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2021 5:39 AM

No fan of M's overcooked performance in Devil Wears Prada. But I doubt Beyonce barely made anyone's ballot.

by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2021 5:43 AM

Ancient White Fags troll is off his meds again. I knew I should've kept that crazy bitch from Saskatchewan on my ignore list. He ruins every thread about black singers/actresses.

by Anonymousreply 58August 22, 2021 5:46 AM

Beyonce was fine. Not great, but not embarrassingly awful, either.

This thread is hilarious just to watch all the diva-stans tee off on each other.

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2021 5:49 AM

I hate Jennifer Hudson. Her singing is nails on a chalkboard. She always oversings every fucking thing she does. WE GET IT, Jennifer, YOU’RE LOUD. Wooweee. She is so unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2021 6:06 AM

R60 she reminds me of Christina Aguilera in that sense. They attack even songs that don't require it with ridiculous histrionics.

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2021 6:08 AM

At least Bill Condon could go without cutting between shots longer than that hack Rob Marshall could with [italic]Chicago[/italic].

But that doesn't explain why his remake of [italic]Beauty and the Beast[/italic] was so flat, lifeless, and perfunctory.

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2021 6:10 AM

I think Beyonce should have played a maid, slave, or drug addicted prostitute. It was too much of a stretch for the audience to think that a negro could be a talented, glamorous singer. The Academy doesn’t reward SciFi films.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2021 6:12 AM

They're SEX WORKERS and they're FABULOUS!

by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2021 6:13 AM

R56, I dare you to call Gerald Alessandrini a racist guinea wop after this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2021 6:19 AM

Beyonce is dumb as a box of hair but I put her above the Nicki Minaj, Cardi B trashy types. She is a pretty woman and wonder what hold her husband has on her.

by Anonymousreply 66August 22, 2021 6:19 AM

OMG R64 I forgot about that stupid actress that plays that part. She annoyed me to no fucking end. That was the stupidest show I could imagine from the ridiculous set up as an Amish sex captive. I normally can't stand Tina Fake to begin with but that was a terribly conceived show and Fake's ridiculous cheeky Marcia Clark impersonation during the courtrooms scenes were embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 67August 22, 2021 6:20 AM

[quote] I do love a sarcastic thread, OP.

Agree, R55.

Believe this to be a troll (joke) thread.

by Anonymousreply 68August 22, 2021 6:21 AM

The only reason Beyoncé wasn't the worst actress in the third Austin Powers movie is because Britney Spears was also in it.

by Anonymousreply 69August 22, 2021 6:22 AM

Eddie Murphy would have won had he not wrote, produced, and starred in [italic]Norbit,[/italic] which was an embarrassment for the industry and was insanely released during awards season.

by Anonymousreply 70August 22, 2021 6:25 AM

The reverse of what happened with Julie Andrews, R70, since [italic]The Sound of Music[/italic] opened while voting was ongoing for the Oscars for last year's films.

by Anonymousreply 71August 22, 2021 6:27 AM

Time's up, R58. I've never been to Saskatchewan but I do have a Masters Degree from the Royal Conservatory of Music. Specifically the Glenn Gould Artist Diploma in both piano and voice. I live in NYC and Montreal.

You project because you have so many alternate accounts. You always upvote your own posts instantly from multiple accounts so you won't be F&F into greyed out trolldom. DL administration told me that. But it's also easy to see. You have all the life of 50 year cum stains and less integrity. So, it's surprising when you receive 5 W&Ws within seconds of one of your snoozy and hate filled posts? Ha. KING is GOLD. I don't run errands or roll pennies. Call your nurse.

You possess just one poor intelligence and RACIST OLD MAN POV. Get some rest. Put the bottle down. Stop starting race baiting Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson threads every weekend. Everyone knows what you do. More people like JHud than you planned. Didn't work out so well for you. So you return to your racist trashing of Bey. (dumb as a box of hair) What a sad kind of faggot you are. I'm gay, but I'd never be you. Such hate you embody in such a lonely ugly spirit. You're so clearly a TROLL. We know you by name. You're just exchanging messages with yourself. Sad joke.

May Jesus visit you tonight R51, R53, R37, R all the OTHER posts you pretend to be on this thread! We pray he'll heal your troubled mind & deliver you from this world.🙏🏾

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 22, 2021 6:29 AM

Eddie was never gonna beat that old man who is widely respected.

by Anonymousreply 73August 22, 2021 6:29 AM

Gays can't be racist because racism equals power plus prejudice and gays don't have the power to oppress.

by Anonymousreply 74August 22, 2021 6:30 AM

OP, don’t forget your med. Beyoncé is getting old and fat now she’s only 45 but looks 55 in her recent IG PICS. Yuck. 🐄

by Anonymousreply 75August 22, 2021 6:33 AM

OLD WHITE GAY MEN are all named KAREN.

by Anonymousreply 76August 22, 2021 6:36 AM

Wow is she really 45? My how time flies, seems like she was just a young thing in Destiny's Child

by Anonymousreply 77August 22, 2021 6:37 AM

[quote]My how time flies, seems like she was just a young thing in Destiny's Child.

Yes, back when your were 60, R77.

by Anonymousreply 78August 22, 2021 6:40 AM

Hiding behind Christianity to attack gay men. Just like Pat Robertson.

by Anonymousreply 79August 22, 2021 6:48 AM

sucks to be you right now....Beyoncé was almost too pretty and gifted and charismatic. Brings out a lot of jealousy. As her music became less accessible to old gays loose holes, some of them started calling her names. Because she claimed her power as a strong black woman in a racist country. She spoke out and grew up musically and personally. She's a hero to more people than ever before, even if she doesn't sell as many records. In public regard, she is the most highly praised recording artist, live performer and content creator of this century. All that while being beautiful. Ha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 22, 2021 6:50 AM

Funny r78, I am 49 and I always looked at her like she was much younger than me.

Even though I look 20 years younger like other DL members. ;)

by Anonymousreply 81August 22, 2021 6:56 AM

Sure, everyone on DL looks 20 years younger than they really are.

by Anonymousreply 82August 22, 2021 6:57 AM

Wait a minute, I just Googled and she is 39. I got fooled.

by Anonymousreply 83August 22, 2021 7:03 AM

Dreamgirls is a shitty movie based on a great Broadway musical. Bill Condon has never scored as a director despite the commercial success of some of his movies.

by Anonymousreply 84August 22, 2021 7:12 AM

The only songs that actually sound like they could have come from Motown in the 1960s/early 1970s was the Jackson 5 pastiche. Everything else sounded like disco almost.

by Anonymousreply 85August 22, 2021 7:17 AM

Beyonce and JHud both turn 40 in September. Aguilera is 40. Kelly Clarkson is 39. Pink and Sarah Bareilles are 41. Along with the younger Jessie J, Gaga and Adele - these are the best female singers in the game. Celine still sounds great at 52. But she's not really in the game.

Nobody does this. And it's LIVE. She makes a few mistakes and then KILLS it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 22, 2021 7:27 AM

If she were a boy, Kamala Harris would throw her in jail on false charges.

by Anonymousreply 87August 22, 2021 7:28 AM

And she wasn’t nominated for Austin Powers: Goldmember either!

by Anonymousreply 88August 22, 2021 7:36 AM

We love Beyoncé and we love Kamala Harris too. Everyone does.❤🌈☮

by Anonymousreply 89August 22, 2021 7:37 AM

My favorite is Kelly Clarkson but she has gone so corn pone. But I do think Beyonce has some talent.

by Anonymousreply 90August 22, 2021 7:41 AM

No, R89, we don't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91August 22, 2021 7:43 AM

R91 step away from the pipe and go to bed

by Anonymousreply 92August 22, 2021 7:48 AM

[quote]Honestly, she was better than at least two of those women nominated.

She wasn't better than any one of them. Not that year.

Maggie Gyllenhaal (Sherrybaby) was better than her as well.

Even Annette Bening was better in that shitty movie version of Running with Scissors.

by Anonymousreply 93August 22, 2021 7:48 AM

Get waterboarded for enabling state terrorism against Black men, R92, you fucking narc.

by Anonymousreply 94August 22, 2021 7:50 AM

There weren't many outstanding lead performances from women this year but I would rate the following above Beyonce, and below the 5 nominated actors.

Martina Gedeck in The Lives Of Others (more likely to be supporting)

Cate Blanchett in Babel

Maggie Gyllenhaal in Sherrybaby

The little girl in Pan's Labyrinth

Rebecca Hall in The Prestige

Emma Thompson in Stranger Than Fiction

Naomi Watts in The Painted Veil

Jennifer Aniston in Friends With Money

Catherine O'Hara in For Your Consideration

by Anonymousreply 95August 22, 2021 7:54 AM

Jennifer Aniston is a terrible actress, R95. She is to movies and TV as Britney Spears is to music.

by Anonymousreply 96August 22, 2021 7:57 AM

Jennifer Aniston is like Madonna. People that don't belong in movies and need to stick to their lanes. She will never be a movie star. No matter how much she tries. She is TV only

by Anonymousreply 97August 22, 2021 8:00 AM

Julia Roberts is more like Madonna, R97.

by Anonymousreply 98August 22, 2021 8:00 AM

[quote] Jennifer Aniston is like Madonna. People that don't belong in movies and need to stick to their lanes. She will never be a movie star. No matter how much she tries. She is TV only

We didn't want her in TV either.

by Anonymousreply 99August 22, 2021 8:01 AM

How is Julia Roberts more like Madonna when she is bonafide movie star? Like the biggest one for over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 100August 22, 2021 8:03 AM

I meant she is to movies as Madge is to music. Little of what they created will stand the test of time.

by Anonymousreply 101August 22, 2021 8:04 AM

Madonna should just never have anything to do with movies but I see what you mean. But I disagree. Both had power positions for women that most will never achieve. And like Madonna is on the top 5 of highest selling artists Julia is one of the highest selling actresses the box office has ever known. Those facts will stand the test of time in any era.

by Anonymousreply 102August 22, 2021 8:08 AM

Madge's songs are shit and most of Julia's movies are garbage.

by Anonymousreply 103August 22, 2021 8:09 AM

But people bought them. All of them.

by Anonymousreply 104August 22, 2021 8:10 AM

Stupid people you mean.

by Anonymousreply 105August 22, 2021 8:12 AM

That I can't dispute. Not a big fan of either but I know too many people that either love or have loved both. Madonna still has a lot of gays and Julia still has a lot a lot of fraus. The new Gen X fraus still adore her.

by Anonymousreply 106August 22, 2021 8:15 AM

Madonna has so many cinema stinkers, they overshadow what she has in her favour, namely, Desperately Seeking Susan, Dick Tracy, and A League of Their Own (and I guess Evita). She also worked with Woody Allen, Spike Lee, and Wayne Wang. And Body of Evidence is campy fun.

Beyonce has Dreamgirls, Austin Powers, and Obsessed. Beyonce is turning 40 in a few weeks. Madonna had done all of the aforementioned by age 40.

Madonna's film oeuvre is more cinephile-friendly than Beyonce's, even with all the stinkers.

by Anonymousreply 107August 22, 2021 8:31 AM

She killed John Schlesinger.

by Anonymousreply 108August 22, 2021 8:32 AM

Clint Eastwood was really excited about working with Beyoncé on A Star Is Born. Then the RNC incident where he talked to an empty chair happened, and she dropped out soon after. (Beyonce and Jay-Z are close friends to the Obamas.)

I can't help but think how interesting Eastwood's version of ASIB would've been set in the Jazz era with Beyoncé as the lead. That's what Streisand was getting at when she mildly dissed Cooper/Gaga's version.

by Anonymousreply 109August 22, 2021 8:44 AM

And instead we got his take on [italic]Jersey Boys[/italic] which Jon Favreau should have directed.

by Anonymousreply 110August 22, 2021 8:47 AM

Beyonce like Madonna needs to let the movie thing go. It's not gonna happen. Ever. That's not where people wanna see you. Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 111August 22, 2021 8:48 AM

I thought Bey was just wonderful in her little movie. Wonderful. Maybe not quite good enough for an Oscar nod, but miracles are miracles for a reason. Hard to come by.

But, again, she was just wonderful in that little movie.

by Anonymousreply 112August 22, 2021 8:49 AM

Because she can't ACT nor SING!!!!

by Anonymousreply 113August 22, 2021 9:00 AM

[quote] Beyonce has Dreamgirls, Austin Powers, and Obsessed.

She was decent in Cadillac Records despite being miscast. Not once did I buy her as Etta James.

by Anonymousreply 114August 22, 2021 9:01 AM

Beyawnce can barley speak, let alone act....

by Anonymousreply 115August 22, 2021 9:29 AM

She can speak, sing, dance, act. All of it. She’s a STAR to boot.

by Anonymousreply 116August 22, 2021 12:16 PM

[quote] Madonna's film oeuvre is more cinephile-friendly than Beyonce's, even with all the stinkers.

I don't know what point you're making, other than to once again pointlessly compare two divas.

Madonna can't act. Beyoncé can act a little. Whether Madonna was in some better movies than Beyoncé has nothing to do with either of their abilities--it has to do with the directors.

Madonna had about five lines in "A League of their Own" and about fifteen in "Dick Tracy." She was important to the plot of the latter (not the former), but all she did was slink around in a satin 30s dress.

by Anonymousreply 117August 22, 2021 4:50 PM

As an actress, Madonna is not much of a singer. She's a laughing stock. She's out of her league in any performance that isn't a music video. She can't even sing live.

Beyoncé is no one's idea of a joke. Her talent and beauty and hard work is there for all to see. She blows your hair back. Enjoy it or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118August 22, 2021 5:12 PM

Beyoncé is beautiful, but she's just not much of an actress. Sorry.

Maybe she will improve with time if she works at it.

by Anonymousreply 119August 22, 2021 7:00 PM

If only Beyonce's music didn't stink to high heaven.

by Anonymousreply 120August 22, 2021 7:23 PM

Pretty hurts, bitch @ R120. Her music does not stink. You're just old and white.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 22, 2021 7:29 PM

Good, to great, to outstanding. Educate yourself. Or STFU.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 22, 2021 7:31 PM

Have a nap, R120.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 22, 2021 7:33 PM

Love On Top.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124August 22, 2021 7:35 PM

Get into Formation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 22, 2021 7:37 PM

Crazy in Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 22, 2021 7:40 PM

[quote]Yet the most astounding sound is always Bey’s voice, as she pushes to her bluesiest extremes, like the hilariously nasty way she sneers, “He’s always got them fucking ex-cuuuu-ses.” She hits some Plastic Ono Band-style primal-scream moments in the devastating ballad “Love Drought.” (“Nine times out of ten I’m in my feelings / But ten times out of nine I’m only human” is a stunning confession from a diva who’s always made such a fetish out of emotional self-control.) “Freedom” and “Formation” reach out historically, connecting her personal pain to the trauma of American blackness, with the power of Aretha Franklin’s Spirit in the Dark or Nina Simone’s Silk and Soul. She can’t resist adding a happy ending with “All Night,” where the couple kisses and makes up and lives happily ever after, or at least until morning. But it’s an uneasy coda, with the word “forgive” noticeably absent and the future still in doubt.

[quote] Whether Beyoncé likes it or not – and everything about Lemonade suggests she lives for it – she’s the kind of artist whose voice people hear their own stories in, whatever our stories may be. She’s always aspired to superhero status, even from her earliest days in a girl group that was tellingly named Destiny’s Child. (Once upon a time, back in the Nineties, “No No No” was the only Destiny’s Child song in existence – but make no mistake, we could already hear she was Beyoncé.) She lives up to every inch of that superhero status on Lemonade. Like the professional heartbreaker she sings about in “6 Inch,” she murdered everybody and the world was her witness.

Amen

by Anonymousreply 127August 22, 2021 7:47 PM

OP Her character was a cipher and boring.

by Anonymousreply 128August 22, 2021 7:52 PM

That was a particularly strong year. I still think Dench should have won for her iconic Barbara Covett.

The "weakest" nominee of the five was Winslet. She was good but nothing amazing in "Little Children". Besides, she already had her award in filming steamy sex scenes with a naked Patrick Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 129August 22, 2021 7:59 PM

I don't know anyone who can't name at least 20 Beyonce songs. We're not all that old. She's the visual artist of our time. Mostly AMAZING.

Dreamgirls is her EVITA, except that

A: DG is a much better film

B: Beyonce is a great singer and dancer

C: She's a pleasure just to watch

D: She's not bad at all

E: People have WON Oscars for worse performances

F: Beyonce has STAR quality, always.

by Anonymousreply 130August 23, 2021 3:28 AM

R130 regarding point E, I wouldn't call what B did in Dreamgirls a performance.

by Anonymousreply 131August 24, 2021 1:00 AM

Beyonce is a mega local, the hype for her is not felt globally. She's not even in the top ten with female artist with more globally number 1's.

by Anonymousreply 132August 24, 2021 1:36 AM

R132 that’s a lie. She’s a star everywhere. You always say that but it’s a lie.

by Anonymousreply 133August 24, 2021 1:39 AM

Top Female Tours of All Time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 24, 2021 1:41 AM

R132 also claimed The Cosby Show was only a local hit when it was a #1 show in many countries, including the UK, and Top 5 worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 135August 24, 2021 1:43 AM

Jada pinkett shoulda been nominated for magic Mike xxl

by Anonymousreply 136August 24, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote]Madonna has so many cinema stinkers, they overshadow what she has in her favour, namely, Desperately Seeking Susan, Dick Tracy, and A League of Their Own (and I guess Evita). She also worked with Woody Allen, Spike Lee, and Wayne Wang. And Body of Evidence is campy fun.

Beyonce and Madonna are from two different time periods. I'm glad Beyonce never worked with Woody Allen. Madonna had a cameo in a Wayne Wang movie and he hasn't made a movie for non-Asian audiences in YEARS. I'm still not sure what Spike Lee has done in the past few years that Beyonce would have been perfect in.

[quote]Beyonce has Dreamgirls, Austin Powers, and Obsessed. Beyonce is turning 40 in a few weeks. Madonna had done all of the aforementioned by age 40.

And yet Beyonce doesn't see herself as an actress. She's a performer/singer who acts occasionally unlike Madonna who was downright embarrassing in Dick Tracy when she wasn't singing. (I did love that soundtrack!) Madonna tried and tried again. "A League of Their Own" was the highlight of her acting career. She was great in Desperately Seeking Susan but with "A League ..." her performance and the film were hailed as triumphs. It was truly a part she was perfect for.

Beyonce's best performance is Dreamgirls but:

1. Her character wasn't the underdog and that hurt her.

2. Her performance was not on the same level as everyone else that year nominated. The heavy lifting in that movie went to Jennifer Hudson. The only thing Deena Jones had going for her as a character was that Beyonce was able to make her seem sympathetic even after she (unintentionally) and Curtis (intentionally) screwed over Effie. Once her character was made aware of what they were doing to Effie, you bought that she felt bad for it. That was a change from the play which I wouldn't be shocked if Beyonce pushed for it but it was the right move.

She would have had A Star is Born if she didn't get pregnant again.

The real snub from Dreamgirls was Eddie Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 137August 24, 2021 2:10 AM

R137 Beyoncé made them change the character to more sympathetic and less bitchy than she was in the play for her to play it. If they wanted her they had to tone down the bitchy attitude of Deena and she needed to be sympathetic and liked in the end or she wouldn’t do it.

by Anonymousreply 138August 24, 2021 2:15 AM

R138, Just what I thought. I do think it was the right choice and made her character more complex. Thank you for sharing that!

by Anonymousreply 139August 24, 2021 2:20 AM

She wasn't very good.

by Anonymousreply 140August 24, 2021 2:21 AM

Diana Ross loathed Sheryl Lee Ralph for playing that part.

by Anonymousreply 141August 24, 2021 2:22 AM

Because Jennifer Hudson out emoted her with her eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 142August 24, 2021 2:24 AM

Diana Ross famously said about the play of Dreamgirls....."This is not a story to me, it's my fucking life."

It's a great quote and a very Ms. Ross thing to say.

About the movie, she said that she admired Beyonce, but had not seen it. But that she planned to....with her lawyers.

by Anonymousreply 143August 24, 2021 2:28 AM

Beyonce's singing sounded out of place in the film, she didn't really sound like a 60s R&B singer. Basically she played herself.

by Anonymousreply 144August 24, 2021 2:36 AM

Sheryl Lee Ralph speaking about Miss Ross.

At least years later Diana was over it.

Diana was upset mostly because she felt the show made her look bad. I’m almost certain she would be fine with the films version of Deena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 24, 2021 2:37 AM

You lash out against gay white men based on falsified credentials, but who do you think wrote the show and who do you think made it into a movie? Gay white men, that’s who!

by Anonymousreply 146August 24, 2021 2:41 AM

R133 She's not even bigger than Rihanna, Rihannas sales and achievements crush this overhyped flop. She put out two songs 2 weeks ago and nobody cared. The views are embarrassing for such a "global" star.

by Anonymousreply 147August 24, 2021 6:13 AM

Rihanna has more single sales. Bey has more album sales n

Bey has bigger tours.

by Anonymousreply 148August 24, 2021 9:23 AM

Lol Rihanna has sold around 65 million albums, beyonce is around 70 million, Rihanna will beat her effortlessly with her new era. No one's checking for beyonces new music anymore.

by Anonymousreply 149August 24, 2021 9:35 AM

Gay white men:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150August 24, 2021 9:55 AM

Gay white men:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 24, 2021 10:01 AM

Gay white men:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152August 24, 2021 10:02 AM

Sweetie, Beyoncé has two of the biggest tours ever. Rihanna doesn’t even make Top 20. Please stop.

by Anonymousreply 153August 24, 2021 10:49 AM

R144 The score was Broadway not 60s R&B which was a common criticism of the show.

by Anonymousreply 154August 24, 2021 7:59 PM

Why would it be R&B? The Supremes were more bubblegum pop than anything

by Anonymousreply 155August 24, 2021 8:02 PM

The Disney TV musical [italic]Polly[/italic] had a more convincing Motown pastiche:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 24, 2021 8:24 PM

Beyoncé looked incredible

by Anonymousreply 157October 11, 2021 12:01 AM

Because she didn't deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 158October 11, 2021 12:10 AM

Dream girls still holds up to this day. “Mary!” me if you must, but It’s a perfect movie. Beyoncé is GORGEOUS in it. IMO the best she has ever (or will ever) look. I remember her talking about the boiled chicken and broccoli diet she was on during filming: well girl the proof is in the pudding that shit worked!

Also, Eddie was seriously robbed of that Oscar. What a magnificent performance. And he got beat by Alan Arkin, who put his Oscar down on the stage and gave a boring speech.

by Anonymousreply 159October 11, 2021 12:16 AM

Arkin winning still is so strange to me.

by Anonymousreply 160October 11, 2021 12:24 AM

R160 Not so strange if you consider that it's an industry award and Arkin was first nominated in 1966 and had been working in film for over 40 years when he won.

by Anonymousreply 161October 11, 2021 12:56 AM

Beyonce didn't get an Oscar because the lead actress was Jennifer Hudson but she didn't get lead credit. Beyonce did. Jennifer was 100x the actress Beyonce was.

by Anonymousreply 162October 11, 2021 2:26 AM

R153=JayZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

by Anonymousreply 163October 11, 2021 6:26 AM

Because she didn't fucking deserve one for her lame, lazy, absent-minded non performance!

by Anonymousreply 164October 11, 2021 8:06 PM

Unlike Minnelli, Streisand, Ross, Midler. . .Hollywood, understandably, didn't seem interested in Bey after her film debut.

by Anonymousreply 165October 11, 2021 8:55 PM

She's such a dull actress with a monotone voice and lacks imagination to bring any of her roles to life. She has been in so many movies and leaves no impression. I mean, granted she's not the only boring actress out there who is famous for her looks. So I'm not singling her out. Madonna and Rihanna can't act either.

Jennifer Hudson and Jill Scott on the other hand, who are also singers, have given many great performances. Even Mariah did good in Precious, Gaga in American Horror Story and Whitney in Waiting to Exhale. Beyoncé hasn't done a performance that leaves an impression. She can look the part but not convince you. Even she couldn't pull off voicing a lion.

by Anonymousreply 166October 12, 2021 12:18 AM

R166 Madonna had presence and certainly wasn't dull in Desperately Speaking Susan and Dick Tracy. In 'Dreamgirls' Bey comes across as a cypher

by Anonymousreply 167October 13, 2021 6:00 AM

Madonna was great in DSS but she was supporting. Beyoncé is lead in Dreamgirls

by Anonymousreply 168February 2, 2022 10:06 PM

I still get a chuckle when I recall reading that an angry, frustrated and defeated Tina Knowles (Beyonce's Mom) supposedly confronted Jennifer Hudson around the time her nomination was announced and snapped, "Dreamgirls was supposed to be BEYONCE'S Oscar Movie!" LMAO!!!!

by Anonymousreply 169February 2, 2022 10:20 PM

Because she's black and all black people are victims. There, OP. You don't have to fish for the answer you're too much of an idiot to provide to your own question.

by Anonymousreply 170February 2, 2022 10:25 PM

r70

that was the most bizarre decision... that movie sucked. Eddie should have won that year.

by Anonymousreply 171February 3, 2022 1:01 AM

Me and Berry nipped that in the bud .....

by Anonymousreply 172February 3, 2022 3:18 AM

Bey was beautiful in this.

by Anonymousreply 173June 29, 2022 12:06 AM

It was a bad movie

by Anonymousreply 174June 29, 2022 12:29 AM

The only thing J low and Beyonce have in common with actors is a strong arrogance. You don't deserve an Oscar just because you want one. Stay in your own lane. Go back in you box, Jack.

by Anonymousreply 175June 29, 2022 7:37 AM

[quote]But y'all just a racist troll, trying to start ugly talk about Beyoncé.

Yet, in the same paragraph:

[quote]You're an ancient white fag

Looks like you're the one trying to start racist shit.

by Anonymousreply 176June 29, 2022 7:49 AM

You go gurl. And Beyonce is mediocre. Ha!

by Anonymousreply 177June 29, 2022 7:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!