Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Another remake no one requested: SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE on HBO

Now we have Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain instead of Liv Ullman and Erland Josephson.

Have more hopes for Isaac than the frequently underwhelming Chastain, but why????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2021 1:52 PM

Speak for yourself OP. I love Jessica Chastain and think she is very talented. I’ll be watching!

by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2021 11:39 PM

You CAN'T remake this.

Liv Ullman was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2021 11:40 PM

With those two I'm definitely watching. Oscar Isaacs, the world's sexiest Hispanic Jew!

by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2021 11:45 PM

Aren't there enough Ingmar Bergman films out there already?

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2021 12:05 AM

HBO had been on a great roll with Mare of Easttown and White Lotus. This one doesn't excite me at all.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2021 12:09 AM

Disgusting.

No. Fucking. Excuse.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2021 12:31 AM

It looks good and she (Chastain) in it.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2021 12:42 AM

So unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2021 12:56 AM

I hate beards that thick. Yuck. Disgusting. Give me skin.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2021 1:13 AM

I hope it's good. Like them both.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2021 1:14 AM

Tovah!

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2021 1:14 AM

Why can’t they remake Scenes from a Mall instead?

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2021 1:21 AM

You don’t remake Bergman. You just don’t. Liz Taylor learned that the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2021 4:36 AM

[quote] Oscar Isaacs, the world's sexiest Hispanic Jew!

Nah.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2021 4:47 AM

They look too much like Miranda and Steve.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2021 1:07 AM

No one asked for this.

And, BTW, does troll 5886 even realize he’s blocked? I’ve seen other blocked trolls continuing to post — are they bots or don’t they read the threads in which they post?

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2021 1:20 AM

Looks tired. Jessica is so boring in every role.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2021 1:24 AM

Does Oscar take his clothes off?

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2021 1:25 AM

As soon as Oscar Isaac declared his pronouns during the first few sentences of the pilot, it immediately ticked me off and lost interest fast.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2021 1:27 AM

I made the mistake of trying to watch this piece of shit shortly after watching the original. As soon as the interviewer asks what the couple’s pronouns are, I had to turn it off.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2021 1:38 AM

This time the [italic]interracial[/italic] version.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2021 1:42 AM

The decision to begin the show with Jessica Chastain arrive on set as herself and proceed to prepare for the first scene was counter-productive. One thing that made the original so magical is that the viewer has to remind themselves they’re watching actors. All I could think during what little I could bear to watch is, “Oh look. Jessica Chastain and Oscar Isaac. Acting.”

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2021 1:22 PM

I will only watch this because I heard that Oscar is going to present his Jewish dong here.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2021 1:26 PM

I haven’t seen the original, but I really liked the first episode. Corey Stoll’s character was a complete douche but still a hunk, and Oscar Isaac was sweet and cuddly. The scene in the doctor’s office was uncomfortable beyond belief and thus realistic if Chastain’s character is really as emotionally tangled up as she seems. After the interview with the student, I got the sense she hadn’t ever been honest with her husband…

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2021 5:51 PM

I suspect the creative team behind this is counting on the vast majority of the audience not having seen the original.

If you haven't seen the original and want to, be sure to watch the full 6-hour mini-series version rather than the shorter theatrical film.

I like Isaac, but Chastain has never done much for me except in A Most Violent Year (with Isaac) where she played a Lady Macbeth-ish character. I'll never forget how awful she was onstage in The Heiress.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2021 6:51 PM

They’ve made Jessica Chastain’s character irredeemably selfish and evil, and Oscar Isaac’s a saintly pushover. I understand why these two are together, but the dynamic is super unpleasant to watch…

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2021 1:19 AM

It’s a gimmick. All they did was gender swap the behaviors of the film characters. Rather than the husband deciding to leave his wife like on the original, it sounds like Jessica Chastain’s character is now the villain.

by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2021 1:42 AM

This series has confirmed for me that Jessica Chastain is clinical and so boring as an actor.

Oscar Isaac is good but the series seems really lifeless and pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2021 1:48 AM

Darn, I was hoping that was Seth Rogen.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2021 2:16 AM

Scenes From a Mortgage.

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2021 3:06 AM

I watched it all yesterday and loved it. Maybe it was just the mood I was in. Also, I hate smoking, but Oscar does smoke quite sexily.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2021 1:35 PM

Please tell me r20 isn't serious ...

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2021 1:40 PM

I stopped watching this after I found myself yawning during the sex scene in the third or fourth episode.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2021 1:47 PM

The beginning didn't grab me, but it got better by the third episode. I thought both actors were excellent in the come to blows moment before signing the divorce papers. I didn't watch the final yet. Will watch On Demand today.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2021 1:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!