Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Figure skating 2021/22

Since the previous thread has been paywalled, here is a new one for the upcoming season which is about to start.

Cranberry Cup and Lake Placid Ice Dance International are taking place next week. Bell, Liu, Glenn, what is left of Gracie Gold, Shin will face off each other and Korean Young You.

In the Men event, entries include Zhou, Ukrainian turned American Paniot, Pulkinen, Hiwatashi, Ma, Israeli men including the eternal Bychenko, Mexican Carillo.

Pairs will see Calalang/ Johnson return to competitions, against Knierim/Frazier and Tarasova/Morozov. Cain/LeDuc are out because she got Covid

The Lake Placid Ice Dance competition will see Caroline Green and Michael Parsons as the top team

In a couple of weeks, Junior Grand Prix will also start with 2 back to back events in Courchevel, France.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235January 8, 2022 3:42 AM

Grand Prix assignments

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2021 8:22 AM

Alisa Liu won the SP at Cranberry Cup with 71.42 points

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2021 9:23 PM

Mariah Bell's atrocity was second with 67.07

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2021 9:24 PM

Gracie Gold scored 45 and she is behind girls from India and Cyprus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2021 9:24 PM

[bold]Loving[/bold] Mariah Bell's SP look. The outfit is unique and striking and the movements are fluid. I mean this is a woman skating. It's early in the season so I hope her speed improves.

Alysa looks err... healthy. She is clearly eating well. I would have her third.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2021 9:59 PM

Green/Parsons have some potentials. But they have never managed to put everything together at the same time. Always some mistakes in and there.

Garabedian/Proulx-Senecal lead the RD in Lake Place Ice Dance International (68.80 points).

Green/Parsons scored 65.78 (she fell out of the twizzles). Pete/Bye were just behind with 65.64 Cesanek/Yehorov YEHOROV and Harris/Chan (representing Australia) were at 64.something. McNamara/Spiridonov got 62.97. Min/Eaton got 62.63. Then some Germans at 59.9

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2021 11:07 PM

The Rythm Dance pattern is the midnight blues this season

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2021 11:09 PM

Here is Green/Parsons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2021 11:10 PM

Logan Bye is competing again? OMG, I thought he was done with skating when his old partner dump him a few seasons ago. I'm so glad to hear he is back.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2021 11:18 PM

So the Cranberry Open and Lake placid are happening at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2021 11:19 PM

R10 At the same time. In the same place. With a different name

R9 he is skating with his girlfriend now. Here is today's performance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2021 11:25 PM

The ID news of the week is that Avonley Nguyen is trying out with Smirnov. Not clear if Russia Fed already released him.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2021 11:28 PM

Who do you think will be the top contenders in the Winter Olympics?

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2021 2:18 AM

Liu wins. She fell on a downgraded 3A

Bell struggled a lot. No 3+3 combos

Glenn withdrew.

I guess it means that Liu will go to Nebelhorn to gain the 3rd Olympic spot. And Audry Shin or Paige Rydberg for Skate America final host pick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2021 6:48 PM

R13

Some Russian girl for Women. They may get the whole podium.

Nathan Chen for Men. Hanyu will be on the podium somewhere. 3-4 others may aim at the remaining medal.

Mishina / Galliamov, Boikova /Kozlovskii or Sui/ Han for Pair Gold.

Sinitstina/Katsalapov or Papadakis/Cizeron (if they are back in decent shape. We haven't seen them last season) for Ice Dance. US or Canada will take third.

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2021 6:52 PM

Here is the live streaming for the men's event. I hope Yaro pulls up and beats that annoying little brat Vincent Zhou.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2021 12:21 AM

Here are the current live standings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2021 12:23 AM

Here is our current leader Maxim Naumov (USA) free skate while we wait for the last group to take the ice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2021 12:25 AM

I enjoyed the Green/Parson's FD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2021 9:53 AM

Junior GP starts today

Live stream is provided on ISU YouTube channel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 19, 2021 7:42 AM

US are leading the SP in both Ladies and Men in the first Junior GP stage. However, it must be remembered that Japanese Federation opted not to send skaters and Russian skaters withdrew because of French rule imposing 10 days quarantine for unvaccinated athletes (Sputnik is not recognised by French authorities).

Clare Soe leads the Ladies SP with 63.43. I confess I've never heard of her before. Another US girl, Lindsay Thorngren, is just behind her (62 points).

Ilian Malinin (son of former Uzbek skater Tatjana Malinina) is first among Men with 80.07 points score. Corey Circelli from Canada is second with 76.63. I preferred Circelli but he had an issue with the 3A (two footed IIRC). So the placement looks fair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 19, 2021 7:22 PM

I really like Ilia Malinin. He can jump and he's actually entertaining, unlike Zhou and Chen.

by Anonymousreply 22August 19, 2021 7:28 PM

R15, god help us in ice dance. Sinitstina/Katsalapov leave me cold.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2021 7:35 PM

The Green/Parson's FD is a masterpiece. This is the type of move that you make when you are trying to make a splash. The third Olympic spot is wide open for a team like G/P to make their move. I hope we see them at the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2021 7:51 PM

Since when did the US men start doing biellmanns? Both Malinin and Broussard have them. Broussard's biellmann was really good he just needs more power and speed so those jumps can be landed with conviction.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2021 8:19 PM

R24 Is Carreira of Carreira/Ponomarenko still ineligible for Olympics (no US citizenship), right?

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2021 8:56 PM

I have no idea, but I doubt Carreira/Ponomarenko can come up with something better. I just hope Hawayek/Baker get left home as that team has hit a wall the USFSA needs to start pushing the new generation of ice dancers.

by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2021 9:08 PM

R27 Judges don't always reward best programs though, especially if USFSA insists on some kind of internal rankings. Must be said that USFTA is less rigid than other Feds (such as Canada) with that.

Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen won the RD in Courchevel. Without the Russians, they were clearly superior to the rest of the field here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2021 3:45 PM

Corey is hot.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2021 2:01 PM

The Junior Men FS was hard to watch

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2021 3:42 PM

Apparently the Stars On Ice tour got pushed to Spring 2022. Surprised they haven't renamed it Seniors & Sluts On Ice. Everyone is a has-been except Mirai and Elladj.

by Anonymousreply 31August 28, 2021 5:17 AM

Shame about Hawayek/Baker. They have a lovely sense of music and style, but he's just too damn short.

by Anonymousreply 32August 28, 2021 5:50 AM

Cup of China cancelled. Italy will host the GP stage instead.

Papadakis/Cizeron are entered at Autumn Classic (somewhere in Canada) in mid-September. Gilles/Poirier are there too

by Anonymousreply 33August 28, 2021 7:22 AM

Second stage of Junior GP

Women

1) Isabeau Levito (USA) 202.35

2) Chaeyeon Kim (Korea) 191.46

3) Kaiya Ruiter (Canada) 179.92

Men

1) Wesley Chiu (Canada) 199.89

2) Arlet Levandi (Estonia) 196.93

3) Edward Appleby (Great Britain) 182.41

Ice Dance

1) Brown/Brown (USA) 154.25

2) Flores/ Tsarevski (USA) 153.07

3) Mazingue/Gaidajenko (Estonia) 138.23

Russians are back next week with the JGP Kosice.

The Browns should find a better technical coach.

by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2021 5:12 PM

Entries for last Olympic qualification event (Nebelhorn Trophy, 20-25 September)

MEN - 7 quotas available

1 Slavik HAYRAPETYAN ARM

2 Brendan KERRY AUS

3 Maurizio ZANDRON AUT

4 Vladimir LITVINTSEV AZE

5 Larry LOUPOLOVER BUL

6 Roman SADOVSKY CAN

7 Jari KESSLER CRO

8 Tomas Llorenc GUARINO SABATE ESP

9 Valtter VIRTANEN FIN

10 Adam SIAO HIM FA FRA

11 Peter James HALLAM GBR

12 Paul FENTZ GER

13 Harrison Jon-Yen WONG HKG

14 Andras CSERNOCH HUN

15 Conor STAKELUM IRL

16 Dias JIRENBAYEV KAZ 17

17 Sihyeong LEE KOR 18

18 Davide LEWTON BRAIN MON

19 Edrian Paul CELESTINO PHI

20 Kornel WITKOWSKI POL

21 Matthew SAMUELS RSA

22 Dmitri ALIEV RUS

23 Adam HAGARA SVK

24 Che Yu YEH TPE

25 Burak DEMIRBOGA TUR

26 Vincent ZHOU USA

WOMEN - 6 quotas available

1 Anastasiya GALUSTYAN ARM

2 Kailani CRAINE AUS

3 Sophia SCHALLER AUT

4 Viktoriia SAFONOVA BLR

5 Isadora WILLIAMS BRA

6 Yae-Mia NEIRA CHI

7 Emilea ZINGAS CYP

8 Maia SORENSEN DEN

9 Maia MAZZARA FRA

10 Alexandra MINTSIDOU GRE

11 Joanna SO HKG

12 Julia LANG HUN

13 Tara PRASAD IND

14 Aldis Kara BERGSDOTTIR ISL

15 Taylor MORRIS ISR

16 Lara Naki GUTMANN ITA

17 Bagdana RAKHISHOVA KAZ

18 Angelina KUCHVALSKA LAT

19 Romana KAISER LIE

20 Aleksandra GOLOVKINA LTU

21 Eugenia GARZA MEX

22 Jocelyn HONG NZL

23 Sofia Lexi Jacqueline FRANK PHI

24 Ekaterina KURAKOVA POL

25 Julia SAUTER ROU

26 Dasa GRM SLO

27 Antonina DUBININA SRB

28 Alexia PAGANINI SUI

29 Nicole RAJICOVA SVK

30 Thita LAMSAM THA

31 Tzu-Han TING TPE

32 Sinem PEKDER TUR

33 Anastasiia SHABOTOVA UKR

34 Alysa LIU USA

PAIR - 3 quotas available

1 Anastasia GOLUBEVA / Hektor GIOTOPOULOS MOORE AUS

2 Bogdana LUKASHEVICH / Alexander STEPANOV BLR

3 Yuchen WANG / Yihang HUANG CHN

4 Lana PETRANOVIC / Antonio SOUZA KORDEIRU CRO

5 Laura BARQUERO / Marco ZANDRON ESP

6 Cleo HAMON / Denys STREKALIN FRA

7 Zoe JONES / Christopher BOYADJI GBR

8 Karina SAFINA / Luka BERULAVA GEO

9 Hailey KOPS / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI ISR

10 Daria DANILOVA / Michel TSIBA NED

11 Anna HERNIK / Michal WOZNIAK POL

12 Greta CRAFOORD / John CRAFOORD SWE

13 Sofiia HOLICHENKO / Artem DARENSKYI UKR

ICE DANCE- 4 quotas

1 Tina GARABEDIAN / Simon PROULX SENECAL ARM

2 Holly HARRIS / Jason CHAN AUS

3 Ekaterina KUZNETSOVA / Oleksandr KOLOSOVSKYI AZE

4 Ekaterina MITROFANOVA / Vladislav KASINSKIJ BIH

5 Viktoria SEMENJUK / Ilya YUKHIMUK BLR

6 Natalie TASCHLEROVA / Filip TASCHLER CZE

7 Juulia TURKKILA / Matthias VERSLUIS FIN

8 Sasha FEAR / George WADDELL GBR

9 Maria KAZAKOVA / Georgy REVIYA GEO

10 Anna YANOVSKAYA / Adam LUKACS HUN

11 Shira ICHILOV / Laurent ABECASSIS ISR

12 Carolina MOSCHENI / Francesco FIORETTI ITA

13 Yura MIN / Daniel EATON KOR

14 Chelsea VERHAEGH / Sherim VAN GEFFEN NED

15 Charlotte LAFOND-FOURNIER / Richard Kang In KAM NZL

16 Maria Sofia PUCHEROVA / Nikita LYSAK SVK

17 Yuliia ZHATA / Berk AKALIN TUR

__

some entries may changed and switched with substitutes

Right now I would say

Men: USA, Russia....Korea, Canada, France...Azerbajan.....whoelse will stand up for the last spot

Ladies: Liu, Safonova...Paganini...Poland....Italy?

Pair: Georgia, China and...France?

Dance: Georgia, Finland. Maybe Armenia. And something out of Hungary, Czech, Italy, Korea and Australia.

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2021 4:13 PM

Dalilah Sappenfield finally suspended by SafeSport

by Anonymousreply 36September 4, 2021 8:08 AM

Partly restricted but not suspended. WTF? She should get everything thrown at her for enabling this toxic culture. Fucking bitch.

by Anonymousreply 37September 4, 2021 3:00 PM

So what exactly is her relationship to TJ Nyman? I remember talking about him when he first competed as a junior and how off putting his demeanor was after the pairs free skate. He was clearly pissed and Dalilah spend the whole kiss and cry comforting him while the poor pair girl was ignored by both. The pair girl was clearly the third wheel in her own partnership.

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2021 8:21 PM

Alisa Liu in the lead after SP at Challenger Series- Lombardia Trophy . 74.31 score

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 10, 2021 7:06 PM

Vladimir LITVINTSEV (AZE) leading Men SP. Just ahead of Siai Him Fa, Ponsart, Kvitelashvili and Grassl. All in the 74-80 points range,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 10, 2021 7:08 PM

Guignard/Fabbri debuted today at Lombardia Trophy. I am not convinced by their RD.

1 Guignard/Fabbri 82.05

2 Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen 76.64

3 Hurtado/Khaliavin 72.65

4 Carriera/Ponomarenko 69.08

5 Taschlerova/Taschler 68.45

6 Lopareva/Brissaud 67.43

7 Turkkila/Versluis 67.26

8 Janse Van Rensburg/Steffan 65.97

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 11, 2021 9:09 PM

OK, we need to talk about our future American super star Artem Markelov. I mean the balls of this guy, tattoo galore. At a junior competition no less!

My goodness. Clearly this team deserved to win and those judges buried them in 8th place because they hate life and everything that is awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2021 5:38 PM

R27 After having watched Carreira/Ponomarenko at Lombardia and Green/Parsons at Autumn Classic, yes, I would agree that G/P have passed C/P now

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2021 5:45 PM

R42, Artemis has a hot, bad boy quality.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2021 5:50 PM

Artem, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2021 7:34 PM

R27, Michael Parson has a nice, beefy butt. And he's pretty cute.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2021 7:35 PM

Gilles/Poirier new Free Dance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2021 9:48 PM

What's the point of James/Redford?

I understand why Vanessa wanted a come back given how things for James/Cipres ended. I understand how she can feel it wasn't a satisfying ending.

However, Redford ended with an Olympic medal. He should have left as it was.

What's their main realistic aim? It is clear they are not medal contenders. If things work well, they will get second Canadian spot and fight the Italians Austrians for 8-10th place.

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2021 5:32 PM

I'm just so thankful that as a skating fan, I don't have to experience any new, unfamiliar music, ever. This is going to be a great Olympic season hearing Roxanne Tango, Bolero, Rachmaninoff and so many other sounds I recognize from other skaters' programs. It will be fun hearing these selections while the skaters drift around the ice.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2021 8:29 PM

R48 Well, Eric had to skate with Megan D., who is one of the least artistic girls in pairs among world champions.

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2021 9:50 PM

r49 has Phantom made an appearance yet?

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2021 11:08 PM

Last Olympic Qualification event is this week

The schedule

Thursday September 23

09:00-13:30 Men Short Program

14:00-16:20 Pairs Short Program

17:00-22:30 Ladies Short Program

Friday September 24

10:30-13:45 Rhythm Dance

14:15-19:30 Men Free Skate

20:00-22:45 Pairs Free Skate

Saturday September 25

10:10-16:15 Ladies Free Skate

16:35-20:00 Free Dance

All times are in Central Europe time zone

by Anonymousreply 52September 21, 2021 12:10 AM

They absolutely cannot hold a skating competition without at least 1 Phantom. I think this is part of the Geneva Convention R51.

by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2021 12:21 AM

Final Olympic Qualifying event took place last week. Zhou and Liu won Men and Women event.

The final spots went to

Men: USA, France, Russia, Azerbaijan, Korea, Australia, Canada (Sadovsky tried his usual best to fail). 1st alternate: Turkey

Women: USA, Poland, Belarus, Switzerland, Ukraine, Australia. First alternate: Italy

Pair: Spain, Georgia, Israel (Krasnoposky again). China failed to qualify their third pair

Ice Dance: Finland, Georgia, Armenia (Canadians), Czech Republic

Team Event should be: Russia, USA, Japan, Canada, Italy, China, Georgia, Czech Republic, Germany and Ukraine. They are the only countries with the required 3 qualification in individual events. Additional spots for Team Event would be Italy Woman, German Man, Ukraine Pair.

by Anonymousreply 54September 30, 2021 7:16 AM

9/13 The 2022 #4ContsFigure, scheduled to take place in Tianjin, China from January 17-22 has been cancelled. The ISU will accept applications from other federations interested in hosting the event and make a decision on their next meeting on October 1st.

by Anonymousreply 55September 30, 2021 7:41 AM

Rika Kihira arrived at Orser's rink in Toronto on Sept 21. No word about Hanyu but it makes sense he'd stay in Japan because he's scheduled to compete at NHK in Tokyo on Nov 12 (and in Sochi on Nov 26).

All the USA skaters withdrew from the Asian Open in Beijing. Hanyu's not going, no Russians signed up to go. It's not even a challenger. Some expect the Japanese will withdraw (including Kagiyama, whose GPs are in Europe)

Kolyada went back to Nutcracker and is scheduled to be at Finlandia on Oct 7. Then to GP Italy Nov 5.

Alexia Paganini withdrew from her only gp, the first one, Skate America, Oct 22.

by Anonymousreply 56September 30, 2021 7:56 AM

After finally getting into Canada, would Rika fly to Beijing for the Oct 12 Asian Open?

Sounds crazy.

by Anonymousreply 57September 30, 2021 8:00 AM

China didn't qualify a 3rd pair? What's going on with their program?

by Anonymousreply 58September 30, 2021 11:04 AM

R58 They send a young team (Wang/Huang) to Nebelhorn Trophy, their first Senior international competition. They did a fine SP but they were a mess in the FS (she fell on both throws, he fell on one of the SBS IIRC). They were beaten by a Spanish team formed less than 12 months ago, a Junior Georgian team and the Israeli team with the usual guy + a new girl paired in the Summer 2021. This young Chinese team was hit and miss also in their Junior careers. So yes, their Pair programs isn't producing as in the past.

Ah, Yan Han seems disappeared again.

by Anonymousreply 59September 30, 2021 1:57 PM

R58 here, do you think they just don't have the coaching staff? The government runs everything in their program, they have to have all the skaters they can train.

by Anonymousreply 60October 1, 2021 2:01 AM

The era of American dominance in figure skating is over.

by Anonymousreply 61October 1, 2021 2:04 AM

Tarah Kayne is accusing Dalilah Sappenfield of being abusive towards her to the point she cut her wrist with a razor blade in 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 8, 2021 1:54 PM

Kayne said Sappenfield called her on the phone one night in July 2019 and threatened that she would lose her partnership with Danny O’Shea, with whom she won the 2016 national title, “not because of my skill set, she said, but because of the kind of person I was,” Kayne said.

That was the night Kayne said she cut her wrist. As she started to bleed profusely, she said she went to O’Shea’s room in the dorm to ask for help. Kayne feared a trip to the emergency room would further anger Sappenfield, so she and O’Shea used super glue to hold her skin together, Kayne said.

Sappenfield pulled her aside while on the ice in a practice session and said, abruptly, “Why don’t you just go out and (expletive) the entire men’s gymnastics team?”

by Anonymousreply 63October 8, 2021 1:56 PM

Pffft...like the ENTIRE men's gymnastics team would be interested in (expletive) a woman! She'd be lucky to land half of them.

by Anonymousreply 64October 8, 2021 2:34 PM

Does this pig Dalilah have any redeeming qualities? I don't understand why skaters like Aliona Savchenko would even want to work with her. It's not like she has gotten such amazing results that you can understand turning a blind eye to some of her behavior, a la the Karolyis. What is her background? She doesn't look like she was ever athletic...

by Anonymousreply 65October 8, 2021 3:44 PM

Jason Brown (162.5) won Finlandia Trophy ahead of Kolyada and Aliev. Rizzo had the best FS (going from 19th to 6th)

by Anonymousreply 66October 8, 2021 8:22 PM

Mishina/Galliamov won over Tarsova/Morozov in Pairs. Cain/LeDuc edged out Calalang/Johnson/ (193 to 191.89).

James/Radford are 5th, a couple of points better than Spain's Barquero/Zandron and Germany's Hase/Seegert. However, more importantly they defeated Moore Tower/Marinaro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 8, 2021 8:26 PM

R67, it looks like James/Radford have a shot at beating Moore Towers/Marinaro at Nationals.

by Anonymousreply 68October 9, 2021 9:10 AM

"Jason Brown (162.5) won Finlandia Trophy ahead of Kolyada and Aliev. Rizzo had the best FS (going from 19th to 6th)"

You come out, you win. Lesson learned.

by Anonymousreply 69October 9, 2021 11:13 AM

Papadakis/Cizeron are back. Some levels lost in and there: her twizzles were down to L2 and his pattern sequence was also judged L2

Scores took forever to come. Halina Gordon Poltorak, Gyorgy Elek and Candice Towler-Green were the callers. Many teams were dinged. Well, except for Hurtado/Khaliavin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 9, 2021 1:28 PM

R64, the entire US gymnastics team at Tokyo are straight guys.

by Anonymousreply 71October 9, 2021 4:19 PM

Thanks for posting that clip, R20! I still love him, er, them; they just need to knock some rust off. (Also: Nice to watch a performance without commentary, so thanks for that also.)

by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2021 7:13 PM

Glad to see P/C. Before Covid, she'd been getting better and little closer to his level, but the gap has widened again. He truly is an amazing skater. I'm sure a lot of it is losing conditioning. They always get better through the season, so I expect there will be some amazing performances down the line if all goes well.

by Anonymousreply 73October 9, 2021 10:40 PM

Finland Trophy result

Papdakis/Cizeron 217.54

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 10, 2021 2:33 PM

Chock/Bates 208.31

He is so bland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 10, 2021 2:33 PM

Third place to Fear/Gibson 190.38

The Lion King, really. Her skating skills are meah

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 10, 2021 2:35 PM

I enjoyed C/B and The Lion King more than the pretentious P/C. Their stuff all looks the same to me these days.

by Anonymousreply 77October 10, 2021 2:39 PM

As for the rest, Smart/Diaz and Hurtado/Khaliavin both scored 185 points.

Turkilla/Versluis from Finland got a new PB of 185.

Lajoie/Lagha are receclying the FD used for 2021 Worlds. 181.03. Anyway, way ahead of Soucisse/Firus

Carreira/Ponomarenko 178.27. Seem stuck.

Muller/Dieck doing a Withney Housting medley routine. 171.08. Comfortabley ahead of the other German couple in the race for the Olympic selection.

by Anonymousreply 78October 10, 2021 2:39 PM

Sinitsina/Katsalapov in a national competition today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 10, 2021 5:20 PM

The Russians are timing "these" so called local competitions around their rivals' competitions. It's all a big PR move from the Russ federation.

It misfired here though, as Finlandia Trophy showed how ahead of the Russians Chock/Bates and P/C are this season.

Love Kolyada and Jason's short Programs. Absolutely mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 80October 10, 2021 5:31 PM

R65 Because Alyona is very questionable herself…

R63 So did Delilah called Tarah a promiscuous whore???

by Anonymousreply 81October 11, 2021 11:34 PM

The Olympic rink as today at the Asian Open serving as Olympic test event

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2021 11:10 AM

I just finished watching Squid Games and now I hope no one is using Blue Danube Waltz for their program.

by Anonymousreply 83October 14, 2021 4:29 PM

News on the Jessica Calalang situation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 14, 2021 5:51 PM

Glad Calalang was cleared; her partner, Brian Johnson, is pretty fiiiine.

by Anonymousreply 85October 14, 2021 7:39 PM

Nguyen/Smirnov pairing confirmed. They will skate for USA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 14, 2021 8:02 PM

Anna Shcherbakova (222.73) lost to Maia Khromykh (224.91 points) at Budapest Trophy yesterday. Only one quad for Shcherbakova in the FS and lots of calls by technical panel. MK also lost a jump because he repeated three jumps twice and it is not allowed.

The men event was won by Matteo Rizzo (234.40) ahead of Aliev (230.63) and Samarin (226.81). All three had messy SPs.

The Olympic Test event was held in Beijing. No stream or TV webcast provided. Few skaters decided to travel to Beijing. Pair had Sui/Han's season debut but there were only Chinese pairs entered. Same for Ice Dance.

Mai Miahara (203.58) won the Ladies competition beating Sakamoto (202.28). Then, basically nobody. The third place was won with 155 points.

The Men competition looked like a mess, judging by the protocols. Kagyama won with 277 points, followed by Sato (256), Boyang (224), Vasiljevs (217), Britschgi (217), Cha (214), Lee (209).

Two smaller international events were held in Minsk and Rome (Ice Dance only).

In Minsk Safonova won Women competition with 198 points. Mozalev won the Men competition in front of Milyukov: 244 to 241 points. The Belarus couple won the Ice Dance competitions with 171 points ahead of some unknown Russians.

In Rome, Georgian Kazakova/Reviya won with an overstored 186 total. Kerry/Dodds were second with 171.

Grand Prix Series starts this week with Skate America:

by Anonymousreply 87October 18, 2021 8:18 AM

Anna Shcherbakova. How did she het this injury and why did they let her skate with it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 19, 2021 2:48 AM

Bradie pulls out from SkaAm and is replaced by Starr Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 89October 19, 2021 3:10 PM

R88 I really like Sherbs but her jumps already looked terrible and barely there when she won WC.

by Anonymousreply 90October 19, 2021 5:29 PM

Rika Kihira out of Skate Canada - replaced by Mai Mihara, though she wasn't on the substitute list.

Also, I didn't know that Russian Samsonov withdrew from Skate America. Poor little guy. Saw a photo of him and Shoma together at Sambo, and Shoma had to lean over to be in the photo. But at least Samsonov could handle the pace of training there - Shoma couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 91October 19, 2021 8:34 PM

R91, Sambo probably didn't give Shoma the drugs they give the Russian skaters, so of course he couldn't keep up. And I'm not joking.

by Anonymousreply 92October 20, 2021 12:35 AM

Has anyone seen the Bad Sports series on Netflix? There's an episode on the Salt Lake City Olympics pairs scandal. Christine Brennan was excellent, like always.

by Anonymousreply 93October 20, 2021 5:10 AM

R92 I guess Eteri’s drugs only work on even tinier bodies than his….

by Anonymousreply 94October 20, 2021 7:33 PM

Guillaume Cizeron responds to homophobic comments by a Russian judge:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 21, 2021 9:18 AM

well, the Men Skate America SP was a general mess.

Tarasova/Morozon in front of Boikova/Kozlovskii after the Pair SP. Japanese team outscored the Americans. Calalang/Johnson better than Knierim/Frazier

by Anonymousreply 96October 23, 2021 8:11 AM

So Nathan shows up with recycled music in yet another ugly gray training costume, screws up 2 out of 3 jumps, and still gets 44.17 PCS? What a fucking joke!

by Anonymousreply 97October 23, 2021 1:09 PM

Zhou won. Chen only third.

Tarasova/Morozov won Pair event. Not a great FS (as happened many times with them). Miura/Kihara were 2nd and Boikova/Kozlovskii "collapsed" into third place

H/D are leading C/B by 1 point in the Rhythm Dance.

by Anonymousreply 98October 24, 2021 9:33 AM

Nathan Chen was fourth in the SP - but he'll make up for it in the free, I'm sure.

Vincent Zhou, Shoma Uno and Jimmy Ma were top 3.

by Anonymousreply 99October 24, 2021 3:54 PM

Where would men's skating be without East Asians?

Even the mighty Russians can't make a dent in their dominance. One coach said their bodies are better suited - but Hanyu is 5ft8 and Zhou is 5ft9 - practically giants for skating these days.

by Anonymousreply 100October 24, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote] Nathan Chen was fourth in the SP - but he'll make up for it in the free, I'm sure.

well, the Free has already taken place.

SPOILER ALERT

He popped 2 quads. It was enough to pass Ma (who had the lowest scoring FS) but not enough to make up Uno's lead. Zhou won also the FS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101October 24, 2021 4:12 PM

Uno should have had much higher PCS than Nathan. I can't believe he skated to Mozart in another ugly fucking casual outfit. I hate Vincent Zhou even more, but it's good to see someone beat Nathan at his own game.

by Anonymousreply 102October 24, 2021 4:18 PM

Is "I" the only pronoun that Nothing Chin knows? Watching him talk before the FS and repeat the same three sentences to two different questions was most amusing.

It is always fun to watch Ms. Chock and Master Bates.

by Anonymousreply 103October 24, 2021 4:28 PM

Thank you R101! I managed to miss the free. oops.

by Anonymousreply 104October 24, 2021 4:54 PM

I love the Spaniards' (Smart/Diaz) Zorro original dance. Great selection for the Olympic season.

by Anonymousreply 105October 24, 2021 7:26 PM

Chock and Bates' program of the astronaut and the alien isn't nearly as good as last year's snake charmer program.

by Anonymousreply 106October 24, 2021 7:39 PM

C/B's snake charmer program drove me insane. She was great, but he's just SO bland. I took one look at H/D's short program costumes and thought, "Are they doing Janet Jackson?" And they did! Well done, costumer! ... I can't even watch the men anymore. Nothing against their obvious skills, but Nothing Chin (hah! -- kudos to R103) just collects points (or doesn't this time) with his quad jumps, and Hanyu's artistry isn't to my taste. That said, over in pairs, helloooo Brian Johnson... Thanks for not shaving your chest.

I didn't miss Tara L and thought Johnny Weir toned down his schtick (some) working with Terry "Terrence" Gannon solo. It made for a nice change.

by Anonymousreply 107October 24, 2021 8:56 PM

Is Octopus gonna repeat again one of those boring Fd programs of his?

by Anonymousreply 108October 24, 2021 10:57 PM

And I liked S/D program, too!

by Anonymousreply 109October 24, 2021 10:58 PM

R95 Sensitive, much?

by Anonymousreply 110October 26, 2021 9:33 PM

Terry Gannon, yummy.

by Anonymousreply 111October 27, 2021 3:00 AM

Pairs at Skate Canada

1 Sui/Han 224.05 (ona fall for Sui in the FS)

2 Pavliuchenko/Khodykin 193.08 (messy FS with 1 fall, 1 step-out, 1 hands-down)

3 Cain-Gribble/LeDuc 189.90

4 James/Radford 187.92

5 Hase/Seegert 186.82

6 Moore-Towers/Marinaro 180.25 (2 aborted lifts in the FS)

7 Matte/Ferland 168.81

8 Jones/Boyadji 134.68

by Anonymousreply 112October 30, 2021 10:06 PM

S/H SP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 30, 2021 10:07 PM

Men

1) Chen 307.18 2) Brown 259.55 3) Semenenko 256.01 4) Ignatov 244.17 5) Messing 238.34 6) Kvitelashvili 232.87

It was a big splatfest for almost all of them

Women

1) Valieva 265.08 2) Tuktamysheva 232.88 3) Kostornia 214.54 4) Mihara 210.01 5) Liu 206.54 6) 205.27

Ice Dance

1) Gilles/Poirier 210.97 2) Guignard/Fabbri 2005.05 3) Smart/Diaz 192.93 4) Green/Parsons 186.51 5) Davis/Smolkin 180.57 6) Lajoie/Lagha 179.07

G/P can try and pass Hawayek/Baker at this point.

by Anonymousreply 114October 31, 2021 9:44 AM

R112, it's weird what happened to Moore-Towers/Marinaro on those lifts. And they're not happy about finishing below James/Radford.

R114, Gilles/Poirier skated pretty well, although I'm not sure if their new Free Dance will resonate as well as 'Both Sides Now' or 'Vincent'. It has potential, though. Their Rhythm Dance costumes are a little too loud, although the chest hair on Poirier is hot.

by Anonymousreply 115November 2, 2021 9:54 AM

I know they have no shot at medaling at the Olympics, but I love the Smart/Diaz free dance to Zorro the most of any of the programs this year. They both look perfect for the roles as well.

by Anonymousreply 116November 2, 2021 2:36 PM

Pchiddy was commentating Valieva's performance for CBC:

"Valieva skated incredibly fast. I think she was the fastest at this competition. I think such speed is an absolute necessity in order to execute such high quadruple jumps. Although, they seemed to be done easily by her. The program flew by without me noticing."

Oh and Yuzuru Hanyu said he was planning to debut his quad Axel at NHK in two weeks. Way to cut the buzz for Chen marching to Olympic gold in Beijing - assuming he doesn't splat his way off the podium and give Yuzu #3.

by Anonymousreply 117November 2, 2021 3:51 PM

[quote] The Green/Parson's FD is a masterpiece. This is the type of move that you make when you are trying to make a splash. The third Olympic spot is wide open for a team like G/P to make their move. I hope we see them at the Olympics.

Occasional ice dance fan here. Very late to this thread obvsly. Appreciate whoever posted at r19, it was superb, incredible artistry, flowing hands and arms, beautiful choreo, true dancing inhabiting the interesting musical selection, great costumes, thanks for it.

Thanks too for the post at r11 of Pate/Bye, fun performance to newish music. Off to check the rest of the thread.

by Anonymousreply 118November 2, 2021 4:19 PM

R116 at least they should qualify for Olympics this time. Unless enough judges are bought in for Khaliavin again. The Finlandia Trophy result was already too close than what should have been.

by Anonymousreply 119November 2, 2021 7:32 PM

The 100 music cuts in Guignard/Fabbri's RD are unbearable.

This week there is the Italian Grand Prix (that replaces the Cup of China)

Entries

1 Yudong CHEN CHN 2 Boyang JIN CHN 3 Paul FENTZ GER 4 Gabriele FRANGIPANI ITA 5 Daniel GRASSL ITA 6 Yuma KAGIYAMA JPN 7 Kazuki TOMONO JPN 8 Junhwan CHA KOR 9 Deniss VASILJEVS LAT 10 Dmitri ALIEV RUS 11 Petr GUMENNIK RUS 12 Mikhail KOLYADA RUS

1 Loena HENDRICKX BEL 2 Yi ZHU CHN 3 Nicole SCHOTT GER 4 Lucrezia BECCARI ITA 5 Lara Naki GUTMANN ITA 6 Mai MIHARA JPN 7 Satoko MIYAHARA JPN 8 Yelim KIM KOR 9 Eunsoo LIM KOR 10 Maiia KHROMYKH RUS 11 Sofia SAMODUROVA RUS 12 Anna SHCHERBAKOVA RUS

1 Cheng PENG / Yang JIN CHN 2 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN 3 Annika HOCKE / Robert KUNKEL GER 4 Sara CONTI / Niccolo MACII ITA 5 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE ITA 6 Rebecca GHILARDI / Filippo AMBROSINI ITA 7 Iuliia ARTEMEVA / Mikhail NAZARYCHEV RUS 8 Alina PEPELEVA / Roman PLESHKOV RUS

1 Carolane SOUCISSE / Shane FIRUS CAN 2 Hong CHEN / Zhuoming SUN CHN 3 Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU CHN 4 Evgeniia LOPAREVA / Geoffrey BRISSAUD FRA 5 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA 6 Katharina MUELLER / Tim DIECK GER 7 Carolina MOSCHENI / Francesco FIORETTI ITA 8 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS 9 Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONS USA 10 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA

by Anonymousreply 120November 2, 2021 7:36 PM

Galyavieva/Thauron split. He suffers from a chronic hip injury.

by Anonymousreply 121November 3, 2021 9:04 PM

Kamila Valieva is so far advanced compared to all of the other women skaters that she is practically in a different sport. She can out jump and out perform most of the men.

by Anonymousreply 122November 3, 2021 9:23 PM

Hanyu has withdrawn from NHK. Injured the same ankle as he did in November 2017 and again in November 2018.

Why am I thinking of Icarus...

by Anonymousreply 123November 4, 2021 8:38 PM

OK, I have a dumb but sincere question: Is there some skating regulation that says women cannot wear black skates or is it something else? They always wear either white or flesh-toned skates (I'm talking about pairs and ice dance here; I don't follow ladies singles). Even if her costume is something like a black catsuit or black leggings, she will still wear white skates (as someone did at, I think, Skate America recently). I assume having skates dyed to match costumes is too expensive for a costume that may only last a season or two (I'm thinking of Gilles/Poirier's neon-orange disco jumpsuits at Skate Canada, which looked silly with his black skates, but less so with her white ones. Also: can men not wear white skates?) TIA!

by Anonymousreply 124November 4, 2021 9:17 PM

Ugh...I don't want to watch the Olympics without Yuzuru. Nathan and Vincent are the most boring men of all time.

by Anonymousreply 125November 4, 2021 9:20 PM

Injure my ass.. The same pattern again.

by Anonymousreply 126November 4, 2021 9:39 PM

Didn't Yuzuru wear white skates when he skated to Prince in the white outfit before he switched to purple?

by Anonymousreply 127November 4, 2021 11:01 PM

Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128November 4, 2021 11:17 PM

R124 It is not prohibited. However when ice dancer Nazarova wore black skates a few years ago, she changed to white mid-season saying the judges let her know that women "should" wear white....

by Anonymousreply 129November 5, 2021 6:41 PM

Loena Hendrickx leads women SP in Turin. 73.52 for her. Then Khromych and Shcherbakova at 72 and 71.73. Then Myahara and Mihara at 70

Papadakis/Cizeron scored 87.45. Hubbell/Donohue 84.79 and Stepanova/Bukin 81.47. Green/Parson 75.6 and Wang/Liu 73.28

Sui/Han (80) and Peng/Jin (76.71) were clean in Pair SP. Della Monica/Guarise are a distant third (65) with both falling in the SBS jump.

by Anonymousreply 130November 5, 2021 7:07 PM

Some mess in Men SP as usual. Aliev bombed hard with issues on all jumping passes. Kagyama wasn't much better.

Boyang went clean, first since...ages. He got 97.89 and leads over Grassl (clean, 95.67. His jumps are so weird though) and Cha (clean, 95.56). Kolyada fell the 4T and got 92.3

by Anonymousreply 131November 5, 2021 9:17 PM

Kagiyama got 3rd highest PCS. what the fuck? So it is possible if you bomb your program ? If Satoko fucked like that , she would never has dream having PCS like that.

by Anonymousreply 132November 5, 2021 9:20 PM

Satoko's ur are often not visible, so why her score are quite low? PCs should be highest anyway.

by Anonymousreply 133November 5, 2021 9:23 PM

judges trying to force Satoko into ice dance? Kana/Dai don't have two many years in them.

Who's free (or might as well be)? Keiji? Sota? Yuzuru?

by Anonymousreply 134November 5, 2021 9:26 PM

* Freudian slip? Two should be too

by Anonymousreply 135November 5, 2021 9:27 PM

Green fell exiting a lift. So they could bury Green/Parsons behind Wang/Liu's Chopin.

Stepanova can't bend her knee to save her life

by Anonymousreply 136November 6, 2021 5:28 PM

Paul Poirier 30th Birthday photo:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 7, 2021 8:38 AM

R122 Ugh, I hate the skating of Valieva, so very robotic indeed. Good thing is it’s only a matter of time until she gets replaced as those jumps look dicey already….Someone needs to stop Eteri tbh.

by Anonymousreply 138November 7, 2021 8:43 AM

I like Valieva's arms and hands. There's some elegance there. And quads are worth their weight in gold - almost literally. I think she's the best OGM bet at the moment.

How you gonna stop Eteri when she's got deals with other countries to prop her girls out the ying yang? Probably even gonna manage a gold medal for her daughter (team) and her new toys (Tarasova/Morozov in pairs). I think she's unstoppable.

She 'might' have to give up the women's silver to Mishin's Tuktamysheva but we ain't there yet. She may still run the table in women's.

by Anonymousreply 139November 8, 2021 7:44 AM

R139 I don’t even care about the ladies’ OGM anymore. Valieva can this season’s Zagitova, take the gold and then please go away asap…..

Also hoping for Eteri to get banned or something.

by Anonymousreply 140November 12, 2021 6:26 AM

Russians are strong but not invincible. I think they'll take most of the medals for Ladies and Pairs.

by Anonymousreply 141November 13, 2021 4:31 AM

I’m hoping Sui & Han take pairs gold.

by Anonymousreply 142November 13, 2021 4:32 AM

A quite strong rain of 10s for Sinitstina/Katsalapov today

Muramoto/Takahashi beat Komatsubara/Koleto in the quest for Japense ID spot

Uno won the Men event. Zhou was back to his old UR self.

by Anonymousreply 143November 13, 2021 11:42 AM

Valieva is so far ahead of anybody right now. But Olympics needs to happen quick since she is gaining hips now. She also looks hypermobile and not muscle-y like Tukt so her longevity can be fairly questioned. Alysa Liu cant even medal in a GP with no russian lady, yeah she is not competitive at all, and not making the podium in the Olympics. All the other American ladies are way behind her.

With Rika injured and (always been) inconsistent anyway, its probably gonna be an all Russia skinny chopstick-legged prepubescent looking podium. All I hope is that Tukt will manage to sneak into the russian team, if not Kostornaia whom the eteri group has been starving. Eteri seems to have an aversion to hips and thigh muscles on her wards, I welcome a relatively regular looking woman’s body like tukt’s.

by Anonymousreply 144November 13, 2021 2:03 PM

Beautiful Korean boy Junhwan Cha should have got second place instead of Trumpster Vincent Zhou. Link to Cha photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 13, 2021 3:17 PM

R145 Junwhan has such star qualities and usually delivers compelling performances. He should become an Idol or something after skating like Park Sunghoon. Uno and Zhou were incredibly overscored/held up today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146November 13, 2021 4:59 PM

Jun is quite tall for a figure skater- they're all required to do multiple quads now which is hell on the body, especially the landing foot/ankle - an ankle injury is what has sidelined Yuzuru Hanyu YET again. 3rd or 4th very serious time? People wonder why he doesn't point his toes -- he probably tapes the hell out of that dodgy ankle and couldn't point his toe with a gun to his head.

Anyway, Yuzuru is 5'8" and Jun is 5'11". Maybe both too tall these days - Chen is like 5'5" and Uno 5'2" which is, well, probably better for quads? Lower center of gravity? Shorter legs to take the pounding? Oh I don't know. This sport has become like that Jackass series where Steve-O did stunts that could kill himself... Though I suppose broken feet/hips never killed anybody. Other sports are probably worse - speedskating, snow-and skateboarding, ski jumping, omg boxing!

by Anonymousreply 147November 14, 2021 8:02 AM

R147 This sport is electing for ugly bodies now - see Team Eteri and Asian males who dominate the sport. There won’t be any champions (in single’s skating) with mainstream appeal from now on. Gracie Gold had the potential but now it’s it’s too late.

by Anonymousreply 148November 14, 2021 8:12 AM

What is " mainstream appeal"? You mean like to white Americans? Kind of like the desperate need to make Nancy Kerrigan the center of advertising campaigns over the Olympic champion, Kristi Yamaguchi?

by Anonymousreply 149November 14, 2021 12:06 PM

Gracie was one of the most robotic skaters I've ever seen. Always with a plastered-on fake cheesy beauty pageant smile. Never understood the appeal at all.

by Anonymousreply 150November 14, 2021 3:01 PM

This is " mainstream appeal"? Of course. She's white and blonde, not like the ugly bodies of the Asian skaters. So, she can continue being appealing to the mainstream, while those ugly- bodied Asian skaters can win all of the medals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151November 14, 2021 4:18 PM

Junhwan Cha was on the Korean version of Masked Singer last year. It’s as cheesy as the US version, but he has a nice voice. His Wikipedia says he used to be a ballet dancer at some point in the past.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 14, 2021 4:46 PM

Park Sunghoon made the right choice in being a member of Enhyphen rather than being a figure skater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153November 14, 2021 6:38 PM

R149 It’s actually not about race but about body type. Champions in single’s skating are waif-like nowadays. They need to do as many rotations as possible while jumping in a stable and reliable way. Look at team Eteri. Once a girl grows hips and busts she gets replaced. Asians tend to be more petite and shorter in general. But the same thing is also happening in Russian male skating. The current male skaters are also pretty skinny or short compared to their champions of the past. All the hot guys end up in pairs or ice dance. Anna Sherbs has a very pretty face but her body looks off-putting to me. But she needs to be like that to keep winning. Back in the day, Katharina Witt was mostly known for her allure and sex-appeal and thus become a huge star. But someone like that could never become OC nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 154November 14, 2021 9:07 PM

The waif look is mainly for quads. The girls who do triple axels are relatively thicc. Tuktamysheva looks huge compared to the eteri girls. The japanese ladies, Kaori Sakamoto and Wakaba in fact have thicc thighs, quite unlike what would be your asian stereotype. But the value of a triple axel is less than a quad and one can do so many types if quads so the thicc girls have no chance against the eteri bots. But yes, Men’s skating is all about skinny and short asian males nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 155November 14, 2021 9:23 PM

Great for Shoma ! He's great!

by Anonymousreply 156November 14, 2021 9:29 PM

Yes, the waif look is mainly for quads but highly unlikely that there will be any WC or OC without quads in the future. Kaori and Wakaba are no waifs but built more like Mindoro Ito. They are ‘compact’ and jump in a powerful and explosive way but landing stable quads should be very difficult for them. Like Shoma’s landings look dicey as if it’s hard for him to stop the rotation. I’m definitely rooting for Tukta. She is now the grande dame in the ladies’s field, lol.

by Anonymousreply 157November 14, 2021 9:38 PM

Video of Paul Poirier working out shirtless in black shorts:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 15, 2021 9:45 AM

Ngueyn/Smirnov's debut at Sectionals.

The best part of the program is his cleavage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159November 18, 2021 10:17 PM

Poor Gracie, if she'd just held it together at the Worlds in the LP, she'd have had the medal. Now I think the American women are out of the picture until they figure out a way to achieve post-puberty quads.

It's really made for some boring skating among the Ladies, it's a bunch of Eteri-bots one and done, then a new one the next year. You don't see the skaters develop.

Never would have thought that I'd get bored with Ladies and interested in ice dance.

by Anonymousreply 160November 18, 2021 10:28 PM

I love Sui and Han and want them to win the gold medal SO much, but, sweet baby Jesus, Aleksandr Galliamov! On his Instagram, he looks gay as hell as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161November 19, 2021 2:33 AM

R160 I know right. I hate Eteri for ruining the ladies field….

by Anonymousreply 162November 19, 2021 6:03 AM

R161 I think I read somewhere that Galliamov was homophobic….but he does look fruity in some pics. Maybe it’s the smile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 19, 2021 6:18 AM

The Eteri bots are all 15 year olds with bodies of a 10 year old who have joint hypermobility and look like they have backs and legs that will break. If these white Russian girls are even smaller and waifier looking than japanese and korean skaters, it looks really odd. I do like alena kostornaia, but she looks like they are starving her so much now, she looked way more athletic as a 15 year old imagine that. And the quad nutrition regimen they are forcing on her is not making her triple axels better. She should be allowed to go the tuktamysheva route, gain muscle, gain hips, have a longer career. But its not the Eteri way.

by Anonymousreply 164November 19, 2021 12:41 PM

plenty of ! in protocols , but none for russians got it , kosto ans ann sz. have bad flips and lutzes and even mark pointed it out

by Anonymousreply 165November 19, 2021 12:43 PM

I would much rather watch Kostornaia or Trusova than any of the boring Koreans or mediocre American women.

by Anonymousreply 166November 19, 2021 12:53 PM

Is the U.S. boycotting the Games? Why does it seem like nobody is talking about them?

by Anonymousreply 167November 19, 2021 12:55 PM

R163, not that being homophobic precludes you from actually being gay. (See most threads on the site.) Also, there are a lot of cases of thou dost protest too much. Many of the poses in the pictures seem...indicative. At the NHK Trophy long program, he was rocking a nice ass and big bulge.

by Anonymousreply 168November 19, 2021 2:31 PM

Grand Prix concluded today with Rostelecom Cup

Grand Final line-up is set

MEN

1. Kagiyama JPN (30)

2. Uno JPN (28)

3. Zhao USA (28)

4. Chen USA (26)

5. Kolyada RUS (26)

6. Brown USA (24)

WOMEN

Kamila Valieva RUS

Anna Shcherbakova RUS

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva RUS

Kaori Sakamoto JPN

Maiia Khromykh RUS

Alena Kostornaia RUS

PAIR

Mishina/Galliamov RUS

Sui/Han CHN

Tarasova/Morozov RUS

Boikova/Kozlovskii RUS

Pavlichenko/Khodykin RUS

Miura/Kihara JPN

(Peng/Jin only competed in 1 GP. Otherwise, they would have probably qualified instead of M/K)

ICE DANCE

Papadakis/Cizeron FRA

Sinitsina/Katsalapov RUS

Hubbell/Donohue USA

Gilles/Poirier CAN

Chock/Bates USA

Guignard/Fabbri ITA

by Anonymousreply 169November 27, 2021 10:20 PM

R168 Well, being openly gay is no option in Russia anyway…. I think someone like Danny G from team Eteri would be out and proud if he were living in the US, lol.

by Anonymousreply 170November 28, 2021 10:25 AM

FIVE Russian Women qualified for the Grand Prix Final - that is UNBELIEVABLE as it is going to be a warm-up to Russian Nationals - as there are only 3 Olympic spots for Russian Ladies - the last spot in the Grand Prix Final went to Japan

The USA women did SO POORLY they didn't even qualify alternate status for the Grand Prix

Since 2006 - USA women have gone downhill, over 10 years and counting

by Anonymousreply 171December 2, 2021 1:48 AM

Russian women would have taken six out of six Grand Prix Final spots if either Sasha Trusova or Daria Isacheva had not been injured.

by Anonymousreply 172December 2, 2021 6:33 AM

* sorry, her name's Daria Usacheva. Hard to keep up with them all.

by Anonymousreply 173December 2, 2021 6:33 AM

Grand Prix Final may not even take place next week as Japan banned all foreign visitors with no exceptions. We should know today.

by Anonymousreply 174December 2, 2021 6:35 AM

it wasnt calncelled in japan, that gpf? I heard something like that some time ago . They planned to do it in france.

by Anonymousreply 175December 2, 2021 12:31 PM

They moved the Cup of China to Italy (Torino) - one of the Grand Prix stops. Is that what you're think about R175? It was November 5-7

by Anonymousreply 176December 2, 2021 3:15 PM

GP Final postponed, which essentially means cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 177December 2, 2021 4:20 PM

why they cannot do it somewhere else?????

by Anonymousreply 178December 2, 2021 4:30 PM

Doesn't that wreak havoc on skaters' plans for their nationals (which decides the Olympic/Worlds teams), not to mention their preparation for the Olympics which is early February I think -- so soon -- is there really room to fit in the GPF and wouldn't it just be a hindrance to those looking to take gold in Beijing.

Assuming there is a Beijing.

by Anonymousreply 179December 2, 2021 5:38 PM

R178 - just last week, they had Rostelecom in Sochi, Russia - why not have the GPF there? Most of the competitors are from Russia anyway. And do the Russians really care about vaccines and bubbles and all that? Those skaters who don't want to take the risk, can just skip it -- there's probably a Russian alternate in every discipline.

by Anonymousreply 180December 2, 2021 5:40 PM

“In a couple of days we were supposed to fly to Japan. It's a shame that the Grand Prix final has been canceled. And because the finale, and because I love traveling to this country. But I will regard it as an opportunity to take a breath, ”wrote Elizaveta Tuktamysheva.

by Anonymousreply 181December 2, 2021 5:57 PM

Grand Prix Final has been CANCELLED - this was the Olympic test event, for the top competitors to see how stack up against each other in one of the final events before the Olympics

by Anonymousreply 182December 2, 2021 10:16 PM

R182 Valieva and Chen are going to win OGM anyway

by Anonymousreply 183December 2, 2021 10:42 PM

PC are fucked up. If they wont win Euro(and it is in Estonia so like Russia) they wont be in first group on olys

by Anonymousreply 184December 2, 2021 10:45 PM

R183, Valieva, yes. But Chen hasn't been super consistent this season in his GP outings. Men's scores have been closer this season. Chen can't afford mistakes, unlike Valieva.

by Anonymousreply 185December 2, 2021 10:46 PM

The American women are not expected to medal - which would be the 4th straight Olympics no USA woman has made the podium

This USA women have dominated this sport for over 50 years

by Anonymousreply 186December 2, 2021 10:57 PM

All the tiny, athletic American girls whose families have discretionary income are in gymnastics now.

by Anonymousreply 187December 2, 2021 11:44 PM

Are the Grand Prix Finals actually cancelled or still "postponed"?

by Anonymousreply 188December 6, 2021 6:05 PM

Happy 27th birthday to Yuzuru Hanyu!

Will we ever see him competing again or is he done, with only two Olympic gold medals?

by Anonymousreply 189December 6, 2021 7:48 PM

only?

by Anonymousreply 190December 6, 2021 7:54 PM

And he is not done, this season is a copy of last olympic season when he was injured too , what a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 191December 6, 2021 7:56 PM

R191 Praying that Yuzu can beat Chen but it’s going to take a miracle. Maybe he won’t even compete….

by Anonymousreply 192December 6, 2021 9:24 PM

R188 officially cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 193December 6, 2021 11:29 PM

Hoping Chen beats Yuzu. I'd like to see him retire without permanently injuring himself.

by Anonymousreply 194December 6, 2021 11:51 PM

R192 In 2018 yzu didnt beat chen, chen fucked up. Hanyu needs Chen fucking up too once again. Just like he also had luck in 2014, with Chan.

by Anonymousreply 195December 7, 2021 12:07 AM

My top two Olympic wishes are Sui/Han for gold in pairs and Nathan for gold in men's.

by Anonymousreply 196December 7, 2021 1:19 AM

Papadakis/Cizeron for dance - assuming they're there?

And which Russian woman - Valieva, Tuktamysheva, Shcherbakova, Trusova...

by Anonymousreply 197December 7, 2021 2:41 AM

For the Russian women, I think Valieva is a lock, she’s like the chosen one.

by Anonymousreply 198December 7, 2021 5:53 AM

R180, to get unto Russis, all competitors will need a visa. There us simply not enough time.

by Anonymousreply 199December 7, 2021 6:21 AM

What's all this about diplomats declaring they won't go to the Beijing Olympics?

Was that ever an important part of the whole shebang? Could this be a precurser to some countries pulling out altogether? i.e. USA?

by Anonymousreply 200December 7, 2021 7:00 AM

Trying to answer my own question - Washington Post December 6

The United States will not send President Biden or any U.S. government official to the Beijing Winter Olympics in February to protest China’s human rights abuses, the White House announced Monday, in a pointed snub to a country seeking to use the Games to enhance its global standing.

Though largely symbolic — the diplomatic boycott does not affect the ability of American athletes to participate in the Games — it will be seen as a major affront by Washington’s greatest military and economic competitor as China seeks to distract from its increasingly repressive policies at home and aggression abroad.

Pressure to mount such a boycott has been building for months, with lawmakers from both parties and human rights advocates calling on the Biden administration not to attend in response to Beijing’s policies targeting democracy activists in Hong Kong and Uyghur Muslims in the Xinjiang region, among other issues. The administration in March declared China’s treatment of Uyghur Muslims a genocide...

by Anonymousreply 201December 7, 2021 7:02 AM

Stars On Ice has resumed and guess no one gives a flying fuck about them anymore. Attendance was way down. They need to rethink their tour name. Czisny?? She's never made the Olympics and Browning should have retired twenty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 202December 13, 2021 6:44 AM

Four dates in December? How about this for a new name - Omicron Super Spreading on Ice?

by Anonymousreply 203December 13, 2021 7:24 AM

National Championships season has started in Europe.

Olympic teams are starting to get announced

AUSTRIA

Women: Olga Mikutina

Pairs: Miriam Ziegler / Severin Kiefer

CZECH REPUBLIC

Men: Michal Brezina (will he ever retire?)

Women: Eliska Brezinova

Pairs: Elizaveta Zhuk / Martin Bidar

Ice Dance: Natalie Tascherlova / Filip Taschler

NETHERLANDS

Women: Lindsay van Zundert

by Anonymousreply 204December 14, 2021 10:08 PM

Japan has the future of men lined up with Yuma Kagiyama, Shun Sato - Russia's Eteri will keep the assembly line going - but will figure skating well and truly die in the US if Nathan Chen doesn't win? (or will it die anyway? He's not a big personality like Weir or Rippon on Ashley Wagner. Seems like we've got nothin' - unless Alysa Liu can actually pull off a 3A and/or quad)

by Anonymousreply 205December 15, 2021 6:12 AM

Alysa is the best among US women and she is not competitive. She couldnt even medal in NHK trophy, a competition in which there were no russian women. Figure skating is done in the US, to be competitive one has to be extremely skinny and small (or asian) leading to various injuries. It has favored prepubescent looking bodies. Among juniors, Ilia Malinin is probably the next US men’s hope, if he remains tiny. Lindsay Thorngren may have longevity if she gets consistent with her triple axel but wont be that competitive with quadsters. Isabeau Levito is so tiny right now, high likelihood that she will lose her quads once she gets hips, very artistic skater though. If the rules dont change, figure skating will go the way of rhythmic gymnastics. When the russian girls are tinier and more child-like than the japanese and korean women, who actually look athletic, then that is a clear message that one needs to be close to an eating disorder to compete. And that is a no-no in the west.

by Anonymousreply 206December 15, 2021 7:32 AM

R206 100% agree.

by Anonymousreply 207December 16, 2021 2:23 AM

British Olympic Team

Natasha McKay

Lilah Fear & Lewis Gibson

French Nats - Day 1

Women SP: Serna in the lead

Men SP: Siao Him Fa leads with 95 points. Aymoz is second with 86. Then Economideds 84 and Ponsart 82

by Anonymousreply 208December 16, 2021 4:56 PM

I hope Aymoz can pull it together. His Grand Prix outings were hard to watch. Someone needs a hug! (Or a sports psychologist.)

by Anonymousreply 209December 16, 2021 8:56 PM

So the land of John Curry and Robin Cousins will have zero men in the Olympics? (well, there's Lewis - but no pair man either?)

How the mighty have fallen. (and the US is not far behind)

by Anonymousreply 210December 16, 2021 11:00 PM

yes, no Men for Britain. They are reserve #3. So they wouldn't get in even if Sweden give back their spot.

The Men spots are

Japan 3 (likely Hanyu if he recovers, Uno, Kagyama)

USA 3 (likely Chen, Zhou and Brown)

Russia 3 (they are so unstable that anything can happen)

France 2 (likely Aymoz and Siao)

South Korea 2 (likely Cha and Lee)

Italy 2 (Grassl and Rizzo)

Canada 2 (Messing and...whoever finish 2nd at Nationals)

China 1 (probably Boyang)

Georgia 1 (Kvitelashvili)

Switzerland 1 (Britschgi)

Estonia 1 (Aleksander Selevko)

Belarus 1 (Milyukov)

Latvia 1 (Vasiljevs)

Czech Republic 1 (Brezina)

Mexico 1 (Carillo)

Ukraine 1 (Shmuratko)

Sweden 1 (Nikolaj Majorov if their Olympic Committee send him. They set internal minimum scores that they are not reachable for Swedish skaters)

Israel 1

Azerbajan 1 (Litvintsev)

Austrialia 1 (Kerry)

by Anonymousreply 211December 17, 2021 10:18 AM

Go little Baltics! Is Latvia with 1.9 million people the smallest country with a male skater entry?

Thank you for the list, R211. Do you happen to know the #1 and #2 reserves?

I hope Hanyu recovers or I fear the men may be a bit of a snooze, unless we get a splatfest - I guess that could be exciting. And more especially, little Rika! In happier days, the best (only?) challenge to the Russian women? Eteri is the Károlyi of this era, for better or worse.

by Anonymousreply 212December 17, 2021 2:53 PM

R212. First reserve is Turkey. Second Armenia IIRC

by Anonymousreply 213December 17, 2021 3:11 PM

Thanks R213.

No word yet that Hanyu was withdrawn (or Kihira?) So JPN Nats is setting up to be quite the show.

by Anonymousreply 214December 17, 2021 6:25 PM

* I meant "HAS" withdrawn -- I didn't mean to imply that the Japanese federation would force him out.

Wouldn't he get a bye to Beijing even if he didn't compete in Japan's Nationals? I have this vague recollection that the reigning Olympic champion could always get a bye - like Plushenko in Sochi, even with just a silver

by Anonymousreply 215December 17, 2021 6:28 PM

R215 it is up to Japanese Federation to select their 3 entries among those who achieved the minimum technical score at least once in the last 3 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 216December 17, 2021 7:12 PM

The American women have performed so POORLY the last 13 years on the International Scene that the USFSA needs to get tough

They should pass a rule that senior Ladies Figure Skater only get to go to the Worlds or the Olympics, if they qualify for the Grand Prix Final beforehand

The USFSA needs to lay down the law and give the female Figure Skaters incentive to start working harder. Because right now, they are way behind the world

So you qualify for the Grand Prix Final - you qualify for World & Olympics. You don't make the Grand Prix Final, you don't go to World or Olympics

USFSA needs to get tough.,

by Anonymousreply 217December 17, 2021 7:23 PM

Well, that should be easy r217. Just find a bio male trans to skate as a woman. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 218December 18, 2021 5:25 PM

Hey that's brilliant! If Nathan Chen would just transition he could have a couple decades left of Olympics and other championships left in him!

by Anonymousreply 219December 19, 2021 12:06 AM

Caitlyn who?

by Anonymousreply 220December 19, 2021 12:07 AM

Yuzuru Hanyu lands 4A in practice on 23 December 2021 - first in history. (Japanese Nationals)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221December 23, 2021 8:21 AM

Japan’s Nationals men’s SP finished a couple hours ago. Here’s Shoma’s SP. Yuzu also skated well per reports but I can’t find a video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222December 24, 2021 12:11 PM

Hanyu’s SP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 24, 2021 12:14 PM

Knierum/Frazier, the top US pair, are out of the Nationals with Covid, as are the Gage siblings, the top junior dance team, so yes the US Nationals are moving right along.

by Anonymousreply 224January 6, 2022 3:39 AM

Why would Nathan Chen even be at Nationals? They'd send him to the Olympics anyway and he's our best chance for gold.

by Anonymousreply 225January 6, 2022 4:35 AM

Really. Why are they even having Nationals? Maybe do a test skate for some of the ladies and send the rest we all know are going to be picked anyway.

by Anonymousreply 226January 6, 2022 5:21 AM

Half of another US pair having covid issues: Ashley Cain-Gribble has developed asthma due to having covid in the summer.

And Satoko Miyahara withdrew from an ice show this week (Nagoya Festival, 4 January) and has now withdrawn from Four Continents (18-23 January in Estonia) due to "ill health" (replaced by Yuhana Yokoi)

- I doubt it's covid but does anybody know? Is she about to retire?

Last one breathing gets the gold in Beijing?

by Anonymousreply 227January 6, 2022 10:19 PM

Satoko probably weighs 80 pounds (36kg). Pairs next with Keiji Tanaka? Ice dance with Yuzuru Hanyu? (and Dai would say 'will no one rid me of this pesky twink?')

Mai Mihara may be even lighter but does she have Satoko's skating skills?

Japan needs to develop pairs/id teams

by Anonymousreply 228January 6, 2022 10:23 PM

@SkatingLesson · Jan 5 Why wasn’t Brandon in a mask when Alexa wore an N95 at practice yesterday?

by Anonymousreply 229January 7, 2022 6:51 AM

Alysa Liu just tested positive for covid (after completing the SP)- said she was fully vaccinated and had been wear N95 masks. Todd Eldridge was coaching Paniot and he tested positive so Misha Ge is taking his place. Stephen Gogolev is out of Skate Canada because he has covid (he recently won some event in Canada).

by Anonymousreply 230January 7, 2022 11:36 PM

Jason Brown's flight was canceled so he and Coach Tracy are making a 250-mile roadtrip to Nashville together.

Oh and Keegan Messing's delayed luggage arrived so he won't have to wear girls' skates after all! (he bought some white ones in Ottawa or wherever they are)

This is exciting stuff! Will there be any North Americans at the Olympics?

by Anonymousreply 231January 7, 2022 11:38 PM

* not Skate Canada - I meant Canadian Nationals

by Anonymousreply 232January 7, 2022 11:40 PM

@Sk8fanPhil Replying to @ghostwhowrites and @rockerskating

And I just passed Mariah Bell outside the arena taking selfies with spectators, against USFS's policy.

by Anonymousreply 233January 7, 2022 11:58 PM

Amber Glenn: 2 negative tests, social distancing, k95 masks, avoiding airports. Yet unfortunately over the last 48 hours I progressively became slower, weak and sluggish… I thought it was the usual competition nerves and maybe allergies but after yesterday’s performance and the last two days of practices not feeling like myself at all, I had a sinking feeling it was something more. With a heavy heart I must announce I tested positive for covid-19 after this morning’s warmup and I have withdrawn from U.S. Nationals.

by Anonymousreply 234January 8, 2022 12:33 AM

Still seeing tights over boots in Seniors division, plus those damn voice-overs and ugh, one of the ladies failed to shave her armpits while wearing a sleeveless costume. So glad I didn't go.

by Anonymousreply 235January 8, 2022 3:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!