Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christina Applegate Diagnosis with Multiple Sclerosis

No words.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 9, 2021 5:14 PM

I'm sorry for her, but glad it;'s been diagnosed so it can be treated.

I used to dislike her because i only knew her as Kelly Bundy and the equally trashy bratty girl in "Don;t Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead," whichw as really stupid of me, I know. I was really surprised to find out she's actually nice and articulate.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2021 7:45 AM

Geez. First breast cancer and now this. She seems like a decent person. Yet, Trump lives seemingly unscathed by life. If you needed any proof that there is no god.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2021 7:48 AM

I've always liked her, this is terrible. And after a double mastectomy when she was still in her thirties!

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2021 8:17 AM

Oh no, I just love her. I'm so sad.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2021 8:33 AM

r2 does every fucking thread have to be about Trump? good grief!

I'm sorry to hear this, much love to Christina.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2021 8:45 AM

OMFG, I just can't with anymore bad news this week.

JUST STOP WITH THE HORROR. God, grant me an intermission!

Can I at least take a leak and grab a Kit Kat before YOU END THE FUCKING WORLD?!

They said the apocalypse was only going to occupy 2020.

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2021 8:53 AM

[quote]So now I ask for privacy.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2021 8:54 AM

Wasn’t it she who got sort-of-lesbian-married-but-not-really?

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2021 9:53 AM

[quote]No words.

At least not the word "diagnosed"

by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2021 9:56 AM

She has had it tough in terms of her health. This sucks.

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2021 10:05 AM

She been vaxxed?

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2021 10:09 AM

MS has different forms of varying severity.

Let's hope her MS is the "remitting and relapsing" variant.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2021 10:31 AM

Is that what Selma Blair has too?

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2021 10:31 AM

[quote] does every fucking thread have to be about Trump?

That response had much less to do with Trump and much more to do with a careless, unloving and capricious god.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2021 10:35 AM

R13) yes, Selma has MS also

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2021 10:53 AM

Teri Garr has MS and is now in a wheelchair. I believe her last appearance was as Lisa Kudrow's mom on Friends.

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2021 11:12 AM

The strange thing is:

2 of the 3 leads in "The Sweetest Thing" now have MS. Watch out Cameron!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 10, 2021 11:19 AM

I was just thinking about her the other day.

I can't say her career went down the shitter, but for a few years she was everywhere. It really seemed that after Anchorman things would ramp up to the next level for her.

And then......*crickets*. I mean, she's stayed busy, but that level just didn't sustain itself. I wonder if any of it was health related.

And I still wonder if she was riding Will Arnett's dick during that show. (Who wouldn't?)

Anyway, I hope she gets well or that her MS gets very manageable.

by Anonymousreply 18August 10, 2021 1:09 PM

So sad :(

by Anonymousreply 19August 10, 2021 2:10 PM

Is it typical to be diagnosed later in life like this?

by Anonymousreply 20August 10, 2021 2:22 PM

It seems like she's had one bad thing after another happen to her.

by Anonymousreply 21August 10, 2021 2:31 PM

[quote] So now I ask for privacy.

[quote] What the hell is that supposed to mean?

It means watch my special with Oprah while I rip into my husband's family telling lie after lie while he just sits there and nods on cue.

by Anonymousreply 22August 10, 2021 2:55 PM

She worked so hard for her Broadway debut Sweet Charity but she was in way over her head. Much like Rebecca DeMornay in The Slugger's Wife.

by Anonymousreply 23August 10, 2021 3:04 PM

If it weren’t for Ricci, she’d be my favourite actress named Christina.

by Anonymousreply 24August 10, 2021 8:41 PM

Not my favorite name, but nevertheless, I send my deepest and most heartfelt condolences.

by Anonymousreply 25August 10, 2021 8:45 PM

I loved her as Kelly on MWC. Sorry to hear about this latest setback to her health and well being.

I think she looks great for 50. She certainly looks a lot better today than she did when she was 16, much softer and less bleach bottle blonde.

by Anonymousreply 26August 10, 2021 8:52 PM

R23, if that's the case, how did she get a Tony nomination?

by Anonymousreply 27August 10, 2021 9:06 PM

R2 are you deranged? Does your whole life revolve around a former president? Seek help! CALL A PRIEST! MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 28August 10, 2021 9:10 PM

Hate to hear this. It's a shitty disorder, my neighbor has it.

by Anonymousreply 29August 10, 2021 9:15 PM

[quote]It really seemed that after Anchorman things would ramp up to the next level for her.... And then......*crickets*. I mean, she's stayed busy, but that level just didn't sustain itself. I wonder if any of it was health related.

Not all actors want to be Tom Cruise level superstars, some actually consider it work and put family first. Christina has been working since she was a kid. She went thru breast cancer and had a baby. She focused on her private life.

by Anonymousreply 30August 10, 2021 9:39 PM

"Christina has been working since she was a kid."

Comedy gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 10, 2021 9:52 PM

She always seemed nice (as a Hollywood actress) in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 32August 10, 2021 10:25 PM

How tragic. And it isn't even a trendy disease.

by Anonymousreply 33August 10, 2021 10:36 PM

[quote]Comedy gold.

I still quote this to my friends years later.

"The NEWWWWWWWWWWW Alante!!!" *Bundy Bounce*

It's strange seeing Tia Carrere and Ginger Rogers here. I completely forgot they were in this episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 10, 2021 10:43 PM

R34, I LOVE that episode and always remember the scene where one of the models, "Incense Berkowitz" corrects her name's pronunciation by Tina Louise to note that "InCENSE" is accented on the second syllable.

Said Tina Louise: "NEXT!"

by Anonymousreply 35August 10, 2021 10:46 PM

Risk factors

These factors may increase your risk of developing multiple sclerosis:

Age. MS can occur at any age, but onset usually occurs around 20 and 40 years of age. However, younger and older people can be affected.

Sex. Women are more than two to three times as likely as men are to have relapsing-remitting MS.

Family history. If one of your parents or siblings has had MS, you are at higher risk of developing the disease.

Certain infections. A variety of viruses have been linked to MS, including Epstein-Barr, the virus that causes infectious mononucleosis.

Race. White people, particularly those of Northern European descent, are at highest risk of developing MS. People of Asian, African or Native American descent have the lowest risk.

Climate. MS is far more common in countries with temperate climates, including Canada, the northern United States, New Zealand, southeastern Australia and Europe.

Vitamin D. Having low levels of vitamin D and low exposure to sunlight is associated with a greater risk of MS.

Certain autoimmune diseases. You have a slightly higher risk of developing MS if you have other autoimmune disorders such as thyroid disease, pernicious anemia, psoriasis, type 1 diabetes or inflammatory bowel disease.

Smoking. Smokers who experience an initial event of symptoms that may signal MS are more likely than nonsmokers to develop a second event that confirms relapsing-remitting MS.

by Anonymousreply 36August 10, 2021 10:48 PM

Don’t forget me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 10, 2021 10:52 PM

R5 Thank you for speaking out! I'm so fed up of the obsessed so called Dems on the DL. We can't move on from this nightmare because THEY don't want to move on. On every fckn thread we have to endure their neurosis. Trump has been gone from the WH for 7 fucking months now, but they don't want to let people forget about him. FED UP!

This is a GAY website after all, damnit!

by Anonymousreply 38August 10, 2021 10:54 PM

What's the prognosis for this? I believe it's not a death sentence anymore and with the advancement in treatment, she should have normal life expectancy.

by Anonymousreply 39August 10, 2021 10:54 PM

At r34, start at 2:56 for "Incense Berkowitz"

by Anonymousreply 40August 10, 2021 10:58 PM

[quote]the equally trashy bratty girl in "Don;t Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead,"

How can anyone not like this ridiculous teen movie?

I remember when she was on an episode of "Silver Spoons." When I did an image search for a screen grab of the episode I learned that she was also on an episode of "Family Ties" and "Charles in Charge," she was all over the place in the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 10, 2021 11:06 PM

Thanks R34.

by Anonymousreply 42August 10, 2021 11:08 PM

"I'm right on top of that Rose!"

by Anonymousreply 43August 10, 2021 11:14 PM

R41 DTMtBD taught me what "petty cash" was when I was kid, and I thought it was the most amazing thing ever!

by Anonymousreply 44August 10, 2021 11:16 PM

Her acting choices always include great, sassed attitude. I know she’s not the parts she’s played but I’m sure she has that strength in spades.

by Anonymousreply 45August 10, 2021 11:18 PM

There was talk of a MWC reboot or even a Bud Bundy spin off recently.

I wonder how this will affect those plans.

The show was to wild & cartoony to handle anything this heavy.

by Anonymousreply 46August 11, 2021 2:48 AM

Well they say you can never have too much of a good thing so I'm glad that she has multiple of whatever scruoples is.

by Anonymousreply 47August 11, 2021 2:54 AM

So she's dying?

by Anonymousreply 48August 11, 2021 2:59 AM

R18, she currently stars in the Netflix series Dead To Me. She was nominated for best actress in a comedy for each of the first two seasons.

by Anonymousreply 49August 11, 2021 2:59 AM

She's had a great career, one that most actors can only dream of.

by Anonymousreply 50August 11, 2021 3:26 AM

They aren't renewing Dead to Me, unfortunately

by Anonymousreply 51August 11, 2021 3:44 AM

I always think of the time Gwyneth Paltrow was being interviewed and her phone rang. She picked up and said something like, “Hey Tini! I’m actually in the middle of an interview.” I was both shocked and horrified that not only are Christina and Gwyneth friends, but her nickname is Tini.

by Anonymousreply 52August 11, 2021 3:44 AM

[quote]I wonder how this will affect those plans.

Everyone is different. Selma still works just not as much and when she does work she doesn't do as much.

Sometimes her characters do move around a bit with some assistance and occasionally her character will stay in one place and deliver her lines.

When she did the series "Another Life" she mostly sat and apparently they had to lovingly help her put on her outfits, pulls shirts over her head, button her buttons, etc.

by Anonymousreply 53August 11, 2021 3:53 AM

R52 I remember that too! Funny the things that we remember.

by Anonymousreply 54August 11, 2021 3:57 AM

R54, I think she was being interviewed by Jules Asner on E.

I’ve always been fascinated by celebrity friendships…and at the time I couldn’t picture Gwyneth being friends with “Kelly Bundy” (even though I’ve always liked Christina Applegate).

by Anonymousreply 55August 11, 2021 4:02 AM

[quote] I was both shocked and horrified that not only are Christina and Gwyneth friends

Of course they are friends. Two actresses can't do a scene like this without ending in each others arms making sweet love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 11, 2021 4:22 AM

Jamie Lynn Sigler (aka Meadow Soprano) also has MS.

by Anonymousreply 57August 11, 2021 4:46 AM

Adding to the list Richard Pryor and the guy who played Squiggy on Laverne and Shirley each were killed by MS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 11, 2021 4:49 AM

Classic post IVF dx. Ugh. Sad. It’s a bit manageable now though.

by Anonymousreply 59August 11, 2021 4:50 AM

How many sclerosis does she have?

by Anonymousreply 60August 11, 2021 4:59 AM

Some people get a less debilitating form of MS and live virtually symptom-free. Fingers crossed. I've always liked her. Although I like her little less now that I know about her friendship with Paltrow

by Anonymousreply 61August 11, 2021 5:08 AM

[quote]I was both shocked and horrified that not only are Christina and Gwyneth friends, but her nickname is Tini.

Gwyneth Paltrow & Christina Applegate did the movie, "View from the Top" together (along with Mark Ruffalo and Mike Meyers) way back in 2003.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 11, 2021 5:12 AM

My mother had it. She got severe symptoms early. It destroyed more than just her own life. I was terrified I would get it until I was well out of my 40s.

by Anonymousreply 63August 11, 2021 5:13 AM

[quote]They aren't renewing Dead to Me, unfortunately

Have any of her post-Married, With Children shows lasted more than 3 seasons?

by Anonymousreply 64August 11, 2021 5:28 AM

Dominique Dunne’s mom Had MS and it left her unable to move or speak .

by Anonymousreply 65August 11, 2021 5:34 AM

Emmy award Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series

Friends (1994)

For playing "Amy". For episode "The One with Rachel's Other Sister".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 11, 2021 5:41 AM

I love Christina Applegate. She's not afraid to be silly and funny. She was also married to hot as fuck Jonathan Schech in his absolute prime.

Kelly Bundy was the older sister I always wanted as a gayling. Get well, Christina!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 11, 2021 6:28 AM

Pay no mind to r5, r14.

r5 is just Boris DeFuckwit the Nazi Incel, livid that he has to be reminded of what an utter failure Donald Trump was and his part in enabling the Trumpster Fire con man like an utter fool.

I'm working Failigula Von Bonespurs, the Doll-Handed into five threads for each time DeFuckwit tries to force us to forget their incompetence and terrorism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 11, 2021 7:13 AM

Awww, pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 69August 11, 2021 7:21 AM

r38 = r5

Sadly, Republicans themselves will not move on from Donald Trump.

Hair Furor's white trash army of suckers is still giving the grifter money, who's still misappropriating the funds for himself. Half of them think he will be reinstated this month!

And they're politically lynching any politician —‚even Republicans like Liz Cheney — who challenge their lies.

Plus, Trumpty Dumpty is publicly threatening another run for the White House in 2024 in the hopes that all the king's Coulters and all the king's men can put Trumpty Dumpty back together again.

So r5 and his sock puppet at r38 need to take their complaints to Mad King Lewd Wig himself. He's the one who "won't move on" and "has to make everything about Trump."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70August 11, 2021 7:23 AM

My SIL's mother, father and first cousin have MS.

Her mother was diagnosed in her 30's, is in her 70's now and uses a cane. She has days when you would not know anything is wrong and other days where she cant get out of bed.

Her father was diagnosed in his late 60's and I've never seen him with a bad episode.

Her cousin was diagnosed.in her 30'a and at one point was in a motorized scooter. Had to quit her teaching job. She's in her 50'a now and out of the wheelchair and looks great. She found a different treatment plan that worked.

I hope Christina has a mild version. MS is tough.

by Anonymousreply 71August 11, 2021 7:28 AM

I see at least 1 more emmy in Christina's future.

by Anonymousreply 72August 11, 2021 7:41 AM

R27, they felt sorry for her. She tried to save River Phoenix's life outside The Viper Room.

by Anonymousreply 73August 11, 2021 9:49 AM

R73-Really?

by Anonymousreply 74August 11, 2021 1:54 PM

I have ms and it’s horrible My body won’t let me do my mind and heart what to do Hate it, it’s so unpredictable and I can’t imagine living 10,15, 20 or more years like this. Meds only help manage it a bit but come with side effects themselves. If I didn’t have my son I really wouldn’t want to live anymore.

by Anonymousreply 75August 11, 2021 3:15 PM

You sound stronger than you think R75. Your son needs you as much as you need him.

by Anonymousreply 76August 11, 2021 4:34 PM

r76 thanks, I’m just getting worse and gets to me sometimes. I know deep down that I want as much time as possible with my family. Life has never been easy but I know there are people in worse situations and I appreciate whatever I do have.

by Anonymousreply 77August 11, 2021 11:30 PM

R77, bless you

by Anonymousreply 78August 11, 2021 11:33 PM

MS is an autoimmune disease, the body attacking itself.

by Anonymousreply 79August 12, 2021 6:54 AM

It’s caused by repressed emotions.

by Anonymousreply 80August 12, 2021 9:59 PM

[quote] The show was to wild & cartoony

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 81August 12, 2021 10:08 PM

I love her - she knew who she was 25 years ago and has continued to enjoy a really nice career. And frankly, some people seem to be nice - she is one. Best wishes and I hope she is feeling all the support.

by Anonymousreply 82August 12, 2021 10:12 PM

I never got great, warm vibes from her. I do hope she recovers though

by Anonymousreply 83August 12, 2021 10:13 PM

R75

I’m so sorry. My SIL has MS so I know how frustrating, upsetting and painful it can be. Sending love and peace.

by Anonymousreply 84August 12, 2021 10:22 PM

My favorite old lady who was not my biological grandma but who adopted me as her grandkid after my gramma passed, had this.

It’s usually fatal, as it doesn’t resolve and may progress quickly or may do so very slowly. But if you end up bedridden, unable to walk independently, it’s quickly down hill from there. Like 10 years.

I’m so sorry. Not being able to control your body due to an autoimmune disorder that has no cure sucks. I was, and remain, as my doctor said, a less than 5% whose AI disorder went into almost full remission. I’ve had a few situations where I thought it had re-triggered but miraculously, no.

That said, in my estimation, CNS autoimmune disorders are kinda worse than cancer, because every day you wake up, you have absolutely no idea what you will be able to do or not do, because your brain stem and CNS are no longer taking orders from you.

There’s nothing like it. It changes you forever and you will never value money/property/prestige, more than valuing your relationships & the actual life of yourself and others, ever again.

by Anonymousreply 85August 12, 2021 11:32 PM

Is fibro an autoimmune disorder?

by Anonymousreply 86August 13, 2021 12:00 AM

R86, not sure. I’ve never had fibromyalgia, but I hear it sucks. Not like a CNS Autoimmune disorder does, like I got diagnosed with it like Christina, but I think it makes one totally debilitated and it hurts.

MS, and MG do not necessarily hurt at all. Your body just stops doing what it’s designed to do and eventually, you probably end up losing control over your limbs, your ability to swallow food or liquids, and your ability to breathe independently. Those are all CNS directed functions, which affect two different disease like MS versus MG into to different ways physiologically and neurologically, yet are not causing considerable and consistent pain.

I’d take fibromyalgia over any CNS centered Autoimmune Immune Disorder, any day of the week, hands down.

by Anonymousreply 87August 13, 2021 9:39 AM

R84 ❤️

by Anonymousreply 88August 13, 2021 3:55 PM

Christina is the talented version of Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 89August 13, 2021 4:09 PM

According to the writer of Last Night at The Viper Room Christina looked down at River but walked by him convulsing on the pavement, and went to the corner and started crying. His gf and date that evening, Samantha Mathis, stood by the building's facade and pounded her forehead into it. No one called 911, even after a bouncer came out and told them, too. His brother Joaquin insisted River was fine. Eventually he did call 911 but it was too late.

by Anonymousreply 90August 13, 2021 6:31 PM

Applegate then went on to do a "performance piece" wherein she played a cd of the song Junkie on the theatre's sound system and writhed around on the floor in tribute to River!

by Anonymousreply 91August 13, 2021 6:40 PM

The bouncer told them to, not too. Autocorrected

by Anonymousreply 92August 13, 2021 6:43 PM

Actually, r92, either would work, oddly enough.

As in, “A bouncer told them too (like others told them and he did too)” or “a bouncer told them to” like you corrected.

These are the things I think about when I’m home alone with no electricity and, therefore, no TV.

by Anonymousreply 93August 13, 2021 6:53 PM

I fucking hate nail-typing on my tablet and then having autocorrect ruin my spelling and/or syntax.

by Anonymousreply 94August 13, 2021 7:05 PM

R86, it is not. Typically, the autoimmune conditions are ruled out first with lab results. MS is often confirmed with brain scans that show lesions.

by Anonymousreply 95August 13, 2021 7:45 PM

R85 my brother-in-law has terminal brain cancer and others in his family have had cancer and either it was terminal or they were treated and are living normal lives now.

I was telling my sister-in-law how it’s mentally devastating to think that there is no cure and I have to wake up every day not knowing how bad I’m going to be that day. I might live like this for decades. I know that in death my body will finally find relief. I know it’s wrong but sometimes I think that a terminal disease would be better.

On top of everything most people don’t understand what MS is like unless they have it or maybe have someone close to them that has it.

Most people mean well and give you suggestions on what to do or remedies to try but I’ve tried so many natural things, diets, even things like energy medicine and other alternative medicine but nothing has helped. On top of that there’s the stress of what’s going on in the world.

I do get some comic relief from the comments on this site. I’ve got to get some laughs in to help me through it all. Thanks DL

by Anonymousreply 96August 13, 2021 8:04 PM

She doesn't have real MS, it's the fake kind like Selma Blair has, when you have drunk habbits and blame it on "MS" to excuse your atrocious behaviour.

It's the new fibromyalgia, which was the new chronic fatigue syndrome

by Anonymousreply 97August 15, 2021 8:50 PM

Have you been evaluated by a Mental Professional R97?

by Anonymousreply 98August 16, 2021 11:26 AM

As someone who was stricken with numerous health problems in the first three decades of my life (cancer, T1 diabetes, congenital heat disease & open-heart surgery), my heart goes out to her. It's tough to face multiple major health issues like this, especially when you are fairly young—it can feel like your body is betraying you, which is a hard thing to deal with. I have always really liked her. She is naturally funny and talented. I've also never gotten a "warm" read on her in interviews, but she has made me laugh a lot over the years, which counts for something. I grew up watching "Married with Children" and "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead." She was simply great in those roles.

I hope she is able to successfully treat this. I have a co-worker with progressive MS, and though I've never seen her suffer an episode, she has told me that she plans to be wheelchair-bound by the time she's in her 50s-60s. I know the severity varies greatly for people.

by Anonymousreply 99September 12, 2021 7:23 AM

In 2003, she won the Emmy for Guest Actress in a Comedy beating out half the female cast of the Mary Tyler Moore Show; Cloris Leachman, Betty White and Georgia Engle were nominated for respectively Malcolm in the Middle, Yes, Dear, and Everybody Loves Raymond.

The fifth nom was no slouch either -- Betty Garrett for Becker; she was on All in the Family and Laverne & Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 100September 12, 2021 7:30 AM

Just saw Ms. Applegate again in the remake of National Lampoon's Vacation. She's actually quite good. Some of the bratty teenage son's lines are brutal. And that scene where they bathe in a sewer is so gross, but the writers did a good job updating it, it's funny.

by Anonymousreply 101October 22, 2021 4:41 PM

I really hope she gets better. I've always liked her and she's maintained an impressively long career. Completely deserving as she's a hilarious actress. The cast of Married...with Children are still pretty close till this day. Christina, Ed, Katy and Ted still regularly do TV. Amanda, I don't see her in anything anymore, I guess she works behind the camera. The only recent thing David did was voice Mako in Legend of Korra. I'm an Avatar: TLA fan, so he did great in that. Christina will get through this, she seems like a strong person and I don't remember hearing anything bad about her. Hopefully good karma will come.

by Anonymousreply 102November 9, 2021 4:22 PM

Fucking hell this woman can’t catch a break! Nobody deserves this.

by Anonymousreply 103November 9, 2021 5:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!