Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Californians are arriving in Montana in droves. But they're not welcome.

How boring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2021 7:31 AM

When ex Californians finally go full flyoverstan, it’ll be like a full circle experience.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2021 1:48 AM

Agree, r1. Californians heading to Kansas will be it.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2021 1:53 AM

California missionaries going out to turn red states blue—doing the Lord’s work.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2021 1:54 AM

They can have it! The few people I’ve met from Montana were anti-gay so I’m guessing most of the state is that way. Don’t have to worry about me coming!

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2021 1:56 AM

Montana is filled with white nationalists

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2021 1:58 AM

I couldn’t live in Montana full time

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2021 2:16 AM

Hasn’t this been going on for years? I was in Bozeman 15 years ago and people were complaining back then that LA transplants were jacking up the real estate price.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2021 2:26 AM

Ew, Montana. Why??

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2021 2:33 AM

I’d rather live in Oklahoma.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2021 3:00 AM

[quote]But she loves that there are dozens of kids on her street the same age as her children and she doesn’t have to worry about them exploring the neighborhood on their own. What she misses most is the diversity in the Bay Area — the state of Montana is 88% white. Lance Trebesch, CEO of Eventgroove, said diversity seems like it’s actually gotten slightly better since he moved to Bozeman 17 years ago from the Bay Area, but he believes the city and state still have a long way to go. Hopefully, the growing tech community, coupled with an emerging remote workforce, should help.

What does this even mean? Why is there a push by Californians for diversity in white areas? Why does it even matter? POC are not numbers to be counted in a demographic study, they're people.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2021 3:16 AM

From what I can see, it's mostly Republican or wealthy Californians that are leaving in droves to places like Montana, Utah, Idaho, etc. I think the working class people who are leaving mostly for affordability reasons are more attracted to cheaper cities in the South or Southwest where they can experience a dense metropolitan area with resources that is generous to them. I don't think any poor person would willingly live further in the middle of nowhere in small towns or sprawling cities where everything is miles apart. People like to say California is a failed state but I don't think it is, I just think the extremely rich conservatives hate that the government is doing more to help the poor there and requiring heavy taxes. That doesn't click well with bootstrap types.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2021 3:25 AM

I was visiting my friend in Helena a few weeks ago and was astonished by how much the town has changed in just a few years with all the transplants having moved in. The downtown is really thriving, and there are lots of new shops, restaurants, coffee shops, and brewpubs.

Helena and Missoula cater less to extremely wealthy transplants, though, which is mostly Bozeman's bailiwick.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2021 3:27 AM

Glenn Close and all her siblings live in individual houses in Bozeman.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2021 6:31 AM

I overheard Wyomingans bitching about Californians moving to their state at a Denny's. They objected to Democrats coming in to vote for Democratic politicians.

#TeamCalifornia

The inland West is just a bunch of Deplorables cucked by obscenely wealthy commercial and religious interests. They're ignorant peasants and they need Californians who offer truth and real solutions before the Deplorables sink deeper down the economic shithole to the tune of hollow, Republican fiddling.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2021 6:45 AM

Then they'd better wear MAGA hats and sweatpants or overalls, or they'll be instantly indentifiable.

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2021 7:28 AM

Montana's first mistake is thinking that Californians care what they think.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2021 7:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!