Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My Fred and Ethel Mertz Backstory

Even as child I could see there was an age difference between Fred and Ethel and wondered about it, years later, watching a Lucy marathon while recuperating I imagined a backstory:

Fred Mertz, a dashing, young soldier is eager to return home from WWI and his wife and young child. Their reunion is short lived and the wife and child succumbed to the Spanish Influenza shortly upon his return. Grieved at the loss, Fred goes on the road as a vaudeville entertainer. He uses his life on the road to mask his grief, drinking and gambling when he's not on stage. Though not tall or conventionally handsome he had a certain charm and he was quite talented, able to sing, dance, do skits and by chance when the show pulled into Albuquerque he was seen by a star struck young girl, Ethel Mae Louise Potter. Ethel had always wanted to be in show business and this was her chance not only to realize her stage dreams but her girlish dream of true love. Ethel was lovely then, golden hair, peaches and cream skin and the voice of an angel. Ethel always looked mature for her age and had blossomed 2 years before her peers so it was easy for her to lie about her age to the show manger and off she went. Fred never thought he could ever love again but here was another chance for a family and for Ethel here was a man, not a boy like the ones in town, but a real man with lush hair and twinkling eyes. They fell hard and fast but the toll of life on the road and Fred's refusal to give up his drinking, gambling and womanizing pushed Ethel to the brink and she was going to leave him. They separated briefly but eventually reconciled, quit showbiz and bought an apartment building with their savings, they lived in the best apartment for awhile, hoping to fill it with children but they never came, eventually they gave it up and moved to the smallest apartment, each silently blaming themselves for the lack of children and despite the bickering grateful that they will have someone to grow old with. The first wife and their child are buried in upstate NY and Fred visits their graves a few times a year

Have you ever made up a backstory for fictional characters? Let's hear some if you have

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2021 7:09 PM

I love this - I would give you a production deal based on this outline alone

But the casting would be tricky - finding someone who has a young Vivian Vance's restrained charm and good grace

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2021 1:23 AM

The network actually gave a greenlight to this project

But Gary Morton advised Lucy against it

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2021 1:26 AM

I love it, OP! I had this t-shirt when I was in high school in the 1980s. 😎

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2021 1:53 AM

"The Applause Addiction In Ramshackle Brownstone: The Mertz's Story Or Our Footlights Folly."

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2021 2:31 AM

I have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2021 3:02 AM

[quote]Ethel Mae Louise Potter.

What happened to "Roberta?"

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2021 3:02 AM

Oooh. I would have loved to see what Viv could have done with Come Back, Little Sheeba.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2021 3:06 AM

R1 Thank you

R3 Thank you, love the shirt

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2021 5:35 PM

No one cares about fucking Fred Mertz and his second-banana wife.

Christ. These people. Not to mention the Eve Arden/hairy legs gal popping up on R1 to get HER say in.

Kissy kissy. Shit.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2021 5:39 PM

OP, I love your backstory. Wish I had one as good to offer.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2021 7:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!