Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2020/2021 Tokio Olympics Opening Ceremony

Anyone watching right now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 26, 2021 10:23 AM

[quote] Tokyo 2020 'axed opening ceremony musician for being black'

A musician claims he was cut from the Olympic opening ceremony because he was black, as organisers face a third staffing row in a week.

Latyr Sy, a Senagalese percussionist based in Japan for 20 years, accused organisers of racism after he was booked and then cancelled for inclusion at the curtain-raiser.

“It’s totally racist,” Mr Sy reportedly said: “I was told they said ‘Why this guy? Why this African guy?’

"I’ve seen a lot of stuff, I’ve felt a lot of things, but this just doesn’t fit with the Olympics. Why should I be silent?”

Tokyo 2020 failed to respond to requests for comment from the Telegraph on the allegations on Friday.

The claim comes just a day after organisers dismissed the show's director over a joke about the Holocaust.

Kentaro Kobayashi's comments in a 1998 comedy sketch prompted a grovelling apology from the latest Olympic chief, Seiko Hashimoto.

The troubled opening ceremony was already dealing with the 11th hour headache of replacing a composer forced to step down at the weekend over historic bullying and abuse of disabled children.

Mr Sy had told the Independent website he was booked by a third party for the ceremony in December, sent the rehearsal schedule in April, but then eventually told by a PR company that organisers had rejected hiring him on the basis of his African heritage.

He said he saw a rehearsal on television and realised his section of the show had also scrapped another Senegalese musician due to appear.

“When I saw it I just felt sad,” he said. “I’m from a small island, a slave island called Goree. I lived in this country for more than 20 years and this scandalous Olympics… it hurts," he told the website, adding that he was "not trying to blame anybody".

Mr Sy, who was also contacted by The Telegraph, had previously travelled internationally to play on behalf of the Japanese government.

The saga facing organisers this week came after creative chief Hiroshi Sasaki quit in March after suggesting that plus-size comedian Naomi Watanabe could appear as an "Olympig".

In February, Yoshiro Mori was forced to step down after saying women talked too much.

With largely empty stands due to a spectator ban, the event had already been plagued by Covid-19 difficulties. Just 23 of the 375 British athletes in Tokyo showed up on Friday night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2021 12:09 AM

Ten minutes in and I'm bored.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2021 12:10 AM

Are there any people in the stands?

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2021 12:11 AM

No. Only about 1000 guests.

It was a bit boring when I watched earlier.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2021 12:13 AM

The hot Tongan Taekwando guy is back wtih a mask!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2021 12:15 AM

Hell no I am not watching this. I am a 55yo GWM in Florida, gave up my TV and cable years ago, not going to be streaming or youtubing this crap. I join the Japanese people in asking this to be canceled and that the jackass in charge who referred to the Japanese people as "the Chinese people" to off himself if he has any sense of shame.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2021 12:20 AM

Yassss......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2021 12:21 AM

The best thing so far has been the rainbow dress on the woman singing the national anthem.

Otherwise, this has been a complete bust. I can't remember - but are the beginnings always so slow and then they get better?

Cuz this started off rather solemnly and lackluster.

Please don't focus on the COVID - we ALL KNOW! Just try and put on a game face and make it happy and good!

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2021 12:24 AM

I have a 6-foot 260-pound guy headed over on Sunday with a bottle of baby oil. He is going to portray himself as a contractor to my neigbors, then enter my condo. After we rub each other down, my feet will reach for the heavens and he will mount and poke me and hevwill screw me til he shoots his hot wet load. -R6-

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2021 12:28 AM

[quote] I join the Japanese people in asking this to be canceled and that the jackass in charge who referred to the Japanese people as "the Chinese people" to off himself

Rofl!!!

Did he really? Link, please. I need a good laugh.

You have to admit, it really is hard to tell them apart.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2021 12:30 AM

Nothing screams native Japanese culture than tap dancing. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2021 12:31 AM

Have you got to the bit where they're doing carpentry?

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2021 12:35 AM

I join the Japanese people in inviting the Olympic committee to just tap dance away and take this clusterfuck with them.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2021 12:35 AM

This is a hot mess. What the hell is with all of these different dancers in modern, traditional and emo costumes?

Ok - so it's wood from around the world from the 64 Games that they made into the Olympic symbol. What was the rest of that shit? People dancing around with these massive smiles on their face.

Everyone could tell where this was going - man they dragged that shit out though.

This is slightly embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2021 12:38 AM

R13 is Larry Craig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2021 12:38 AM

Subdued is definitely the vibe.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2021 12:46 AM

Uma trying unsuccessfully to channel Laurie Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2021 12:47 AM

What's the point of watching the parade of nations when you can't even tell who's hot what with their masks on?

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2021 12:49 AM

Azerbaijan!

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2021 12:50 AM

R17, I was thinking of Laurie Anderson at certain points through the ceremony too.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2021 12:54 AM

I swear to fucking GOD, if Ralph Lauren fucks up the American outfits again with mix-and-match separates that you could buy at TJ Maxx, I'm gonna fucking lose it.

His shit looks AWFUL - no style and just over the top Red White and Blue.

Remember this bullshit from 2016 with his god damn POLO logo prominently displayed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2021 12:54 AM

He's being pilloried online for this years outfits, so yeah, looks like he done fucked up again.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2021 12:58 AM

I hate what the Italians are wearing.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2021 1:00 AM

C’mon, people, there’s, like, 3 threads for this.

The Italians looked tragic. Where then hell was Armani??

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2021 1:01 AM

This seems to be the best thread for this discussion:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2021 1:04 AM

[quote] What's the point of watching the parade of nations when you can't even tell who's hot what with their masks on?

I'm just looking at his hot body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2021 1:10 AM

The other thread is from this morning’s live ceremony. WE’RE talking about the evening edition. GAVEL DOWN.

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2021 1:11 AM

[quote] He's being pilloried online for this years outfits, so yeah, looks like he done fucked up again.

"Twitter Roasts Ralph Lauren for Its Tokyo Olympic Opening Ceremony Outfits"

Ralph Lauren’s Olympic Opening Ceremony uniforms for Team USA debuted at the start of the Tokyo Olympics today — and Twitter is not thrilled.

The Team USA uniforms featured a preppy aesthetic, composed of a navy blazer with a navy and white striped T-shirt, both featuring embroidered patches of Lauren’s polo pony logo and the five Olympic rings. Their looks were complete with dark blue jeans, an American flag-print scarf, and white sneakers.

Though the looks were shown prior to the Ceremony, the Twitter universe had a strong response to seeing the preppy ensembles on Team USA’s athletes. One user linked the outfits to similar past Olympics looks by Lauren, saying they looked “like preppy villains in an 80s teen comedy.”

One user compared the outfits to Montauk fraternity brothers’ wardrobes, while another said they were reminiscent of the attire worn by strict members of a country club.

Many users stated that the outfits were reminiscent of the popular social media trend of identifying people as “Karens” with one even saying they would “report you to HR for cursing.”

One user even questioned Lauren’s originality within Team USA’s uniforms, saying they were “predictable” due to their similarities to past Olympic Opening Ceremony looks — and suggesting that the Olympics “give a shot to another designer” in the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2021 1:14 AM

The Netherlands people looking sharp with that rust and cream-colored suits.

by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2021 1:14 AM

Why the fuck is NBC doing interviews with Team USA in a fucking bus during the parade?

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2021 1:16 AM

[quote] Italy Turns Heads At Tokyo Olympics Opening Ceremony With 'Interesting' Outfits

Twitter users pounced on the Italian team’s “interesting” outfits at the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony on Friday:

“With all the fashion designers in Italy you’d think their Olympics outfit will come harder than this,” one person cracked.

“Italy has come out swinging for worst outfit so far,” another said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 24, 2021 1:17 AM

Yuck. Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 24, 2021 1:17 AM

What's the "Refugee Team?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 24, 2021 1:18 AM

DAMN, Daddy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 24, 2021 1:20 AM

[quote]Nothing screams native Japanese culture than tap dancing. WTF?

I was wondering this when watching it last night too. Is tap dancing a Japanese thing? Or did it start there?

Please keep your eyes out on Uruguay, guys. I think they were the team where the flag bearers looked like they were fighting over the flag, haha!

There are a few hot bare chested Pacific Islanders to keep your eyes out for too.

by Anonymousreply 35July 24, 2021 1:20 AM

The damn Russians aren’t there, are they?

by Anonymousreply 36July 24, 2021 1:20 AM

Nope R36, they're competing under "Russian Olympic Committee" due to the Russian doping scandal.

by Anonymousreply 37July 24, 2021 1:21 AM

Does everyone in Tonga look like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 24, 2021 1:22 AM

^I guess what I mean is, they ARE there, but they're not competing as "Russia" and any gold medals they win won't be counted towards the overall Russian tally.

by Anonymousreply 39July 24, 2021 1:22 AM

I can't get enough of this guy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 24, 2021 1:23 AM

Has Sudan entered yet? I want to see how Darfur Orphan is dressed.

by Anonymousreply 41July 24, 2021 1:24 AM

He must smell like coconuts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 24, 2021 1:24 AM

That’s good. Thanks R39.

Fuck Russia.

by Anonymousreply 43July 24, 2021 1:25 AM

A number of them do, R38. And they're gentle giants too. I've met a number of really lovely Tongans (and Samoans).

by Anonymousreply 44July 24, 2021 1:25 AM

Some of the waving Japanese greeters are beginning to tire out.

by Anonymousreply 45July 24, 2021 1:27 AM

Pita is 6'3" of MANLINESS.

Damn.

He's still single, too. *raised eyebrow*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 24, 2021 1:35 AM

It looks like only the Australians know how to use sunscreen.

by Anonymousreply 47July 24, 2021 1:37 AM

San Marino is dressed nice.

by Anonymousreply 48July 24, 2021 1:37 AM

Another interview DURING the parade. Fucking NBC.

by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2021 2:07 AM

^NBC sound worse than Australian television. You have my sympathy. People here tend to get frustrated trying to watch a sport, only for it to switch to a pointless interview with a swimmer (our best sport), but at least they let us watch the parade unhindered. Apart from ridiculous prattling on by the commentators.

by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2021 2:21 AM

Aww, Mexico’s outfits were darling! Those flower crowns for the ladies were lovely. The embroidered lapels were very nice as well.

Very traditional. 🤗

by Anonymousreply 51July 24, 2021 2:40 AM

The Rock, really?

This is why they hate us.

Ugh, this is why I don’t root for the States during the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2021 2:56 AM

You know the Rock and NBC were dying to plug his shitty sitcom during that obnoxious and unnecessary intro.

by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2021 2:57 AM

His new movie as well.

by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2021 2:59 AM

Shut up Tarico.

Privileged, entitled brats, all of them.

Obnoxious as hell, too.

They look like spoilt, country club assholes. Great job, Lauren.

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2021 3:02 AM

I want a scooter.

by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2021 3:06 AM

OMG, the drones were fantastic! Shivers when they formed the globe.

by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2021 3:12 AM

The pictograms thing was really good as well.

by Anonymousreply 58July 24, 2021 3:36 AM

This is endless.

by Anonymousreply 59July 24, 2021 3:43 AM

So Japanese. Subtle, No bombast. Talented artists. Sappy sweet kids. Technical efficiency. Slow. And now.... a person so old he can barely walk.

Classy, classy, classy.... and won't remember a bit of it tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 60July 24, 2021 3:45 AM

A great big “fuck you’” to the United States by having Osaka light the torch.

Ha! Gotta love it.

by Anonymousreply 61July 24, 2021 3:54 AM

I'm so proud for America they picked a typical American Valley Girl to light the cauldron. Where is Godzilla when you need him?

by Anonymousreply 62July 24, 2021 3:54 AM

Wow, apparently the Team USA jeans were made in my hometown 😳

Cool 🤗🤗

by Anonymousreply 63July 24, 2021 4:08 AM

There were some really cute flag bearers.

One was Dan Olaru from Moldova (Archery).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 24, 2021 7:33 AM

The other one I noticed was Lucca Mesinas from Peru (Surfing).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 24, 2021 7:34 AM

R63 So you’re from El Paso? 🌵

by Anonymousreply 66July 24, 2021 7:54 AM

I totally bet I could find at least one guy I would like to fuck on every team. Something about that much diversity is very appealing to me.

Also, yeah, I'm a whore.

by Anonymousreply 67July 24, 2021 8:01 AM

Lucca Mesinas looks very flexible.

Ass up...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 24, 2021 8:06 AM

I don't understand how Naomi Osaka was chosen to light the flame.

Was that the Woke/PC choice?

She hasn't lived in Japan since she was 3 years old, and she doesn't even speak Japanese!!!

In the old South, that would be called a "carpet bagger."

by Anonymousreply 69July 24, 2021 1:12 PM

The US still has no medals after day one!

First time, since 1972.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 24, 2021 1:17 PM

Yup, R66 😬😬

by Anonymousreply 71July 24, 2021 4:29 PM

Did the commentator just make a joke about steppes, which he pronounced STEEPS?

by Anonymousreply 72July 24, 2021 6:41 PM

RATINGS DISASTER...Lowest ratings in over 30 years!!...And I can see why....It is now primetime and i am seeing ugly chicks do volleyball.....For whatever reason my local NBC station said male gymnastics were going to happen and air at 7am---which did NOT happen (i set my alarm).......BOYCOTT...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 25, 2021 12:29 AM

They had male gymnastics earlier. The Russian Armenian with the injured Achilles tendon, Arthur Dalaloyan, is cute, but how in the world is he going to continue with that injury? He was grimacing in pain after the floor exercise.

by Anonymousreply 74July 25, 2021 12:38 AM

Athlete from Turkey (gymnast?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 25, 2021 12:58 AM

Why do the women swimmers have no boobies?

Those skateboarders look lame as all fuck. Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?

They keep falling. How are they all in one piece? No helmets or elbow or knee pads!

by Anonymousreply 76July 25, 2021 4:23 AM

Skateboarding....WTF?.....And who the hell wants to see the women swim?.......BEACH VOLLEYBALL?......This Olympics is a MESS....

by Anonymousreply 77July 25, 2021 4:33 AM

R73 LOL! Nobody cares about this shit anymore.

The Winter Olympics are so much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 78July 25, 2021 8:18 AM

No, R78.

Covid has really changed everything. People just can't get into things that we used to be into.

Also, an Olympics without crowds or spectators, is not an Olympics.

It's just boring and weird.

As you can see from this past year of football, basketball, and baseball, these sporting events NEED crowds. They need cheering fans.

Nothing is the same without live fans in the venues.

by Anonymousreply 79July 25, 2021 3:35 PM

The next Winter Olympics are scheduled to be in China during February 2022.

by Anonymousreply 80July 25, 2021 3:48 PM

R80, that's going to be even worse than these Olympics.

We'll be in the throes of the Delta Strain.

by Anonymousreply 81July 26, 2021 12:03 AM

Is that Skinner woman the trumptard?

by Anonymousreply 82July 26, 2021 12:12 AM

Her group at home look deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 83July 26, 2021 12:12 AM

The Russians seem more artistic and lithe. Is it because they’re skinnier than the Americans?

I mean, the Americans are absolute powehouses and fantastic but the rusky girls, god-help-me, are prettier to look at.🤭🤫

by Anonymousreply 84July 26, 2021 12:23 AM

When are the Trans Olympics?....Why am I being subjected to the Heterosexuals and Gender Born Olympians?.....Where do I issue a complaint?....

by Anonymousreply 85July 26, 2021 4:27 AM

R85 Already your trans people are there in Tokyo, cosplaying as women (so you dont see them because they hide that trans fact).

NZ's Hubbard is not the only one. Canada sent 2 male archers, one MTF.

by Anonymousreply 86July 26, 2021 10:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!