Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Queerbaiting Matters More Than Ever

Nick Jonas, Ariana Grande, Madonna, and others have long been accused of manipulating labels to their advantage. But what does it mean?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 30, 2021 11:46 AM

Anyone young knows what Queerbaiting is. This is why I roll my eyes at the many threads on here accusing every celeb of being gay for every little thing, when in reality they’re just straight men doing whatever they’re doing to get the gays behind them.

Non-teenage hot men make more money off gays than women.

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2021 9:34 PM

Oh no not Madonna!!

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2021 9:39 AM

Include the late David Bowie in that list.

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2021 9:48 AM

We're ALWAYS SCREAMED at by finger wagging SJWs that LABELS DON'T MATTER!

LABELS DON'T MATTER! STOP PUTTING PEOPLE IN BOXES! SEXUALITY IS FLUID!

If that's the case, then there's NO such thing as queerbaiting.

How much you want to bet you can find dozens of articles on Rollingstone.com that expounds the LABELS DON'T MATTER mantra? HUH? How much?

What rubbish! Another "news" outlet that can't get their story straight or keep from comically contradicting themselves.

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2021 9:51 AM

Not all queerbaiting is sexual, there's also the performative allyship of performers who "care so much about their LGBTQIA fans". Lady Gaga (since she's in the Gucci movie can we start calling her Lady Gugu?) built her entire career on the backs of gay people, despite being a privileged straight white woman.

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2021 10:07 AM

Madonna is bi. When did she ever queerbaited and called herself gay? Same with David Bowie. So R1 No, not everyone knows what queerbaiting is. Half of the posters here apparently don't.

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2021 10:18 AM

R5 I would like clarification on this--> "...built her entire career on the backs of gay people..."

Do you mean when or if she hired gay choreographers, gay designers, gay dancers etc etc. You mean everyone associated with her projects were straight? LOL!

Do you mean giving representation in songs like "Born This Way"?

Do you mean when she publicly stated pro-gay support?

If she didn't do any of the above, then you would be trashing her for being a NON-ally or worse, homophobic. So what is it? Please tell me, what's the correct formula for being a supportive ally of the gay community while not being seen as someone who just uses THE GAYS. HUH? Give us that Rosetta Stone of knowledge, please!

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2021 10:26 AM

that's a hot pic

by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2021 10:30 AM

R8 So, if it's a "hot pic" then should you feel guilty for admiring it because it could be seen as queerbaiting?

Maybe some Alphabet mafia douche can point their finger at you and accuse you of promoting queerbaiting. OMG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2021 10:38 AM

R7, I mean that right out of the gate with her first album, she went out of her way to mention her gay fans and how important they were to her. It was done in a way that seemed calculated and disingenuous, and served to align her with other gay icons. This was before stan culture and social media were a thing (or at least a big thing) but I felt like she identified the loyalty of the gay fanbase and specifically marketed herself to capitalize on that.

by Anonymousreply 10August 8, 2021 10:44 AM

They wrote an article about queerbaiting and didn't mention Harry Styles? Really?

by Anonymousreply 11August 8, 2021 10:52 AM

wake me up when Nick presents hole

by Anonymousreply 12August 8, 2021 10:59 AM

Some documentary about disco,house music and gays with important people from those movem. Say that Lady Gaga is manufactured and was forced upon gays and proclaimed the status of gay icon by corporate radio and labels and not earned like Dianna Ross,Barbra Streisand,Cher,etc... did.

by Anonymousreply 13August 8, 2021 11:07 AM

R10 Did she have a loyal gay fanbase? If she did then there shouldn't be an issue with thanking them. If she didn't , then it would be a contrived statement lacking any true emotion. I think that's the only way to tell.

by Anonymousreply 14August 8, 2021 11:08 AM

I dont think David Bowie was queerbaiting. Enough to look at him, he probably was gay. And those werent the times for queerbaiting. But he was from this fucked up older generation with lot of internalised homphobia and had to prove he was straight to himself and others.

by Anonymousreply 15August 8, 2021 11:31 AM

I don't know....it was her first album and she was young so I just assumed whatever fanbase she had was limited. Her LES burlesque act was more glam punk performance art, which in NYC in the early aughts was more of a hetero thing than a gay one. I could be wrong but her gay allegiance always felt like a PR move to me.

by Anonymousreply 16August 8, 2021 11:32 AM

The real king of queerbaiting is Tyler the Creator (Tyler that creates nothing-as Eminem said). He boosted his whole carrier on two heavy queerbaiting yet ambiguous enough albums , cleaned his homophobic past and now finally stopped the charade and went back to be hetero,

by Anonymousreply 17August 8, 2021 11:38 AM

You’re getting what you want - straight guys making out with other guys. There’s no such thing as queerbaiting . No one owns sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 18August 8, 2021 11:40 AM

R17 = oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 19August 8, 2021 11:40 AM

Queerbaiting isn’t a thing. No one owns sexuality. Anyone can sell sexuality. The end. If you’re into someone because they may possibly be “queer”, that’s on you and says a lot about you. Are you fantasizing that they guys are gonna fuck you or something? Grow up. It’s just a show.

by Anonymousreply 20August 8, 2021 11:42 AM

You can’t bait anyone who doesn’t want to be baited.

by Anonymousreply 21August 8, 2021 11:43 AM

reply 21 I agree with you

by Anonymousreply 22August 8, 2021 11:48 AM

[quote] ...they’re just straight men doing whatever they’re doing to get the gays behind them.

Oh brother!

by Anonymousreply 23August 8, 2021 11:56 AM

R20 You dont have to be mad and take things too seriously. We are just talking about a marketing strategy, and a successful one. Nobody said it was forbidden, and of course you must have a market to apply such a marketing. DLers for one, are crazy about such ambiguous straight guys.

by Anonymousreply 24August 8, 2021 11:58 AM

The king of Queerbaiting was Prince and he hated gays

by Anonymousreply 25August 8, 2021 12:26 PM

R25 Never thought of Prince as a gueerbaiter, thought he only had this camp look.

by Anonymousreply 26August 8, 2021 12:42 PM

R25 I hated that homophobic fugly mop haired cunt. Such an overrated fugly cunt.

by Anonymousreply 27August 8, 2021 12:44 PM

R15 Yes, a gay who's love of his life was a woman.

by Anonymousreply 28August 8, 2021 12:47 PM

R27 Prince was really talented though while he was still Prince. And probably liked this camp look and high heels.

by Anonymousreply 29August 8, 2021 12:47 PM

Prince wasn’t just camp; his whole persona was to be sexually ambiguous

by Anonymousreply 30August 8, 2021 12:49 PM

[quote] I just assumed whatever fanbase she had was limited.

We were fans!

by Anonymousreply 31August 8, 2021 12:49 PM

R30 Jehovah's Witnesses aren't suppose to be sexually ambiguous. Before he died and started embracing his religion more, he became even more of a homophobic cunt and shunned his friends who were gay. He said he wouldn't be friends with them unless they denounced being gay. He was a homophobic, hypocritical, religion cunt.

by Anonymousreply 32August 8, 2021 12:58 PM

I think Prince with his songs would have made a great career even without the ambiguous aura. Maybe Tyler would have thrived continuing to sing stuff like "I fucked a pregnant bitch", too, but this whole gueer-ish soup opera didnt hurt. While I believe he was and stayed a homophobic bitch.

by Anonymousreply 33August 8, 2021 1:00 PM

I for one am happy to be queer baited. It’s nice to be valued as an important segment of the market!

by Anonymousreply 34August 8, 2021 1:11 PM

I am not queer baited at all, because here in Balkans queer baiting doesnt exist, only straight baiting. I know about queerbaiting only from your American sites.

by Anonymousreply 35August 8, 2021 1:15 PM

So can we assume that any company who debuts a nifty rainbow version of their logo during the month of June, only to flip it back to the original when Pride month is over is also considered queer baiting?

by Anonymousreply 36August 8, 2021 1:23 PM

R36 NO!

You'd be asking where's the support, during June, if they DON'T use a rainbow flag/colors. Really! That's what you would be asking.

by Anonymousreply 37August 8, 2021 1:26 PM

R35 Which part of Balkans are you?

by Anonymousreply 38August 8, 2021 2:04 PM

R35 Croatia

by Anonymousreply 39August 8, 2021 2:05 PM

For people insisting Bowie was straight, didn't ex-wife Angela say on some talk show that she caught him in bed with Mick Jagger?

by Anonymousreply 40August 8, 2021 2:09 PM

R39 Cool. Same.

by Anonymousreply 41August 8, 2021 2:15 PM

R39 Pa otkud si?

by Anonymousreply 42August 8, 2021 2:18 PM

Pretty sure I wouldn't r37

by Anonymousreply 43August 8, 2021 2:20 PM

If that’s what queerbating looks like, I’m ready.

by Anonymousreply 44August 8, 2021 2:22 PM

R42 Varazdin. You?

by Anonymousreply 45August 8, 2021 2:24 PM

R45 Zagreb

by Anonymousreply 46August 8, 2021 2:26 PM

So is homoeroticism considered queerbaiting?

by Anonymousreply 47August 8, 2021 2:26 PM

Many on this forum would rather support a queerbaiter than the most explicitly gay pop star of all time, Lil Nas X.

by Anonymousreply 48August 8, 2021 2:28 PM

R48 I noticed the same, Lil Nas is handsome and seems a nice and polite guy in interviews, but he doesnt have that appeal of macho homophobes for Dlers

by Anonymousreply 49August 8, 2021 2:37 PM

Not just handsome, very very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 50August 8, 2021 2:47 PM

[quote]No one owns sexuality.

Actually, I do. I own sexuality. I get royalties every time you have sex.

by Anonymousreply 51August 8, 2021 2:58 PM

When being gay actually meant something, then I guess I can see that queerbating would be a problem. Unfortunately, everything is queer now. Asexual,Demisexual, simply using they/them pronouns. My work place’s gay group is headed by a woman, married to a man, who says she is gender non conforming. Queer has been so watered down, don’t see how anything is queerbating.

by Anonymousreply 52August 8, 2021 3:08 PM

In Nick Jonas’ case, it’s pretending to be straight and THEN queerbaiting.

He is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 53August 8, 2021 3:53 PM

Bitch about century’s of straight-baiting. You should be thrilled that homosexuality is now something embraced by society at large rather that something to run from like a few decades ago. That’s progress.

by Anonymousreply 54August 9, 2021 1:58 AM

R20 you should post that on tumblr.

by Anonymousreply 55August 9, 2021 3:26 PM

R20

by Anonymousreply 56August 30, 2021 11:08 AM

It's a matter of supply and demand. Sex sells. Queer / gay baiting does, too.

by Anonymousreply 57August 30, 2021 11:13 AM

The arrival of men as sexual objects was a great day. Queerbaiting began as a way to be shocking and controversial, then they gradually realized that gay men have money to spend as well.

by Anonymousreply 58August 30, 2021 11:16 AM

Who gives a shit, other than MOISES MENDEZ II - some two bit writer doing an opinion piece in order to get hits. About a non issue. To anyone except addicts of outrage on social media.

by Anonymousreply 59August 30, 2021 11:33 AM

R51 - but it doesn’t pay the bills, does it.

by Anonymousreply 60August 30, 2021 11:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!