Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Naomi Osaka lights cauldron to open 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Naomi Osaka, four-time Grand Slam tennis champion, had the honor of lighting the Olympic cauldron at the Opening Ceremony of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics on Friday.

The torch always finishes its long journey in the Opening Ceremony venue, being carried around the stadium by notable athletes or other figures from the host country. Those athletes are a closely guarded secret until the ceremony actually happens, so Osaka's presence was a huge surprise.

There might not have been anyone better to have the great honor of lighting the cauldron. Osaka is one of tennis' brightest stars, and at just 23 years old, she's still on the rise. Born in Japan and raised in the United States, Osaka is playing tennis for Japan in the Olympics, and she's a gold medal favorite.

After the ceremony, Osaka tweeted about how honored she felt to have been chosen to light the cauldron.

The torch entered the stadium being carried by Olympic champions Nomura Tadahiro (judo) and Yoshida Saori (wrestling). From there, it was time for Japan's long history and love of baseball to take center stage. Hideki Matsui, former New York Yankees player who spent nine years playing for the Yomiuri Giants before moving playing in the U.S., accompanied Japanese legends Shigeo Nagashima and Oh Sadaharu, who holds the world lifetime home run record with 868 over his 21-year career.

The baseball players handed the torch off to two first responders, who gave it to Tsuchida Wakako, a women's wheelchair marathoner who was the first Japanese athlete to win medals at the Summer and Winter Paralympics.

A group of middle school athletes then carried the torch to Osaka, who lit the cauldron that will keep burning until the closing ceremony in two weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2021 12:07 AM

What's on her head?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2021 6:32 PM

[quote] Undoubtedly the greatest athletic achievement and honor I will ever have in my life. I have no words to describe the feelings I have right now but I do know I am currently filled with gratefulness and thankfulness ❤️ love you guys thank you.

Aww.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2021 6:33 PM

Why?

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2021 6:33 PM

Whoops.

Wrong link at R2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2021 6:34 PM

Good for her. The sports media are some of the biggest assholes in media - and that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2021 6:34 PM

Isn't she an American?

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2021 6:36 PM

One of her parents is Japanese, one of her parents is Haitian, I think she was raised primarily in America and holds tri-citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2021 6:39 PM

She's very pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2021 6:40 PM

Is this the one who quit the French Open?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2021 6:41 PM

yes, her mother is Japanese, Father is Haitian, born in Japan, moved to Long Island aged 3;

"Although Osaka was raised in the United States, her parents decided that their daughters would represent Japan. They said, "We made the decision that Naomi would represent Japan at an early age. She was born in Osaka and was brought up in a household of Japanese and Haitian culture. Quite simply, Naomi and her sister Mari have always felt Japanese so that was our only rationale. It was never a financially motivated decision nor were we ever swayed either way by any national federation."

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2021 6:42 PM

Perfect choice since she's globally-known and Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2021 6:45 PM

Video...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2021 6:49 PM

I thought Naomi was cancelled because she was being a bitch about all her tennis antics?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2021 6:50 PM

She's become insufferable

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2021 6:52 PM

R1, Pikachu ears.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2021 6:54 PM

R15, scratch that. I thought they were but they're not. Some kind of hat.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2021 6:55 PM

R10, they decided she would represent Japan because they figured that was her easiest route to success. Less competition.

I hate people who try to bamboozle you.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2021 8:59 PM

I thought she had said that being mixed race she never felt at home in Japan.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2021 9:14 PM

R18, her thoughts about Japan have been very nuanced.

She has said that most people don't expect her to be Japanese in Japan because of her skin color. They'd talk about her in front of her not knowing she knew the language or people would hand her an English menu when she went out. She said they do other things that Americans would see as racist like blackface but [italic]she knows they're not racist.[/italic] They just don't understand.

Still, she has always felt Japanese, not American so she's always played for them. Also they've always supported her career, the US didn't come around and let her train here at their facilities until she was 16. She declined and stuck with Japan.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2021 9:24 PM

I like Osaka a lot. She's like a breath of fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2021 9:31 PM

Typhoon headed to Naomi. I pray she does not suffer another breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2021 3:07 AM

I don't understand how she gets so many endorsements.

To say she is cold, is an understatement.

Some people make excuses for her and say, "Oh, she's just really shy."

Shy doesn't mean you have to be a fucking bitch.

I would HATE to interview her.

No wonder she's getting so much bad press lately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2021 3:13 AM

R20, Osaka pulled out of both the French Open and Wimbledon, yet she's fine enough to be at the Olympics in her country of nationality (as opposed to her country of residence). No doubt she'll be fine for the US Open too, since it's one of the surfaces she's best on.

Picking and choosing which tournament she plays at depending on whether it's a surface she likes or at a tournament at which she's lauded by the locals is not a "breath of fresh air" for a tennis fan. It's an annoying diva who doesn't give a shit about tennis lovers.

by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2021 1:08 PM

[quote]It's an annoying diva who doesn't give a shit about tennis lovers.

I don't expect professional tennis players to give a shit about me. They're athletes, not healthcare professionals or teachers.

by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2021 1:14 PM

Oh, fuck off, R22.

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2021 1:33 PM

R24, the point is she isn't behaving like a professional tennis player by continuously pulling out of tournaments. She cares very much about having fans - social media fans she can use to build her celeb/endorsement profile and get to buy the stuff she advertises. But the tennis fans she doesn't give a shit about, because she doesn't give a shit about the tennis.

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2021 3:36 PM

R23, players often skip their less favored surfaces when they have the clout. Both Federer and Nadal have done this. And Osaka played well last night.

by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2021 4:02 PM

If her father is Haitian, why is her last name "Osaka?"

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2021 10:36 PM

No they don't, r27, otherwise they wouldn't have much clout left. They also wouldn't be top players if they kept skipping grand slams because they wouldn't collect enough points to give them a top ranking. Federer and Nadal never skipped out on a grand slam just because they didn't like the surface. In their 20-year careers they are bound to have missed some grand slams due to various reasons (mostly injury), but the fact they're still slogging on at every grand slam in their late 30s rather suggests that they're not shirkers. They have also both won every grand slam, on every surface.

At least you admit that the only reason Osaka pulled out of the French Open and Wimbledon just because she didn't like the surface.

by Anonymousreply 29July 25, 2021 10:53 PM

[quote] If her father is Haitian, why is her last name "Osaka?"

It's mentioned in her Wiki, R28:

[quote] She has an older sister named Mari who is a former professional tennis player. The two girls were given their mother's family name for practical reasons when the family lived in Japan.

They don't list the "practical reasons," but I think it has to do with the fact that foreigners have zero rights in japan.

If you have one japanese parent, then it's better to be claimed by them, because if you list yourself as the child of a foreigner, I don't think you can even attend school in japan.

by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2021 12:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!