Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who was the best ever Best Actress Oscar winner, by decade? 2010s edition

The last in our weekly polls to uncover who we think was the most impressive Oscar winner, by decade.

Next week we will have the grand finale where we poll each winner of their respective decade!

As always, please share your thoughts and opinions on the most recent winners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 23, 2022 10:07 PM

2000s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2021 1:26 PM

I rank them as follows

1. Cate Blanchett

2. Meryl Streep

3. Renee Z

4. Olivia

5. Frances

6. Emma

7. Julianne

8. Natalie

9. Bree

10. Jennifer

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2021 1:40 PM

Jennifer was the weakest of the decade, did nothing impressive in an overrated bore of a movie

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2021 3:39 PM

Blue Jasmine and Blanchett's performance are among the most overrated of their time.

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2021 3:49 PM

Blanchett has never shown her tits or arse but we have seen her take a shite on the toilet in Notes on a sandal

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2021 3:54 PM

Blanchett is the reason I keep coming back to Blue Jasmine. She's funny, tragic, and very haunting in it. I've known women like that. A well deserved win.

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2021 3:56 PM

My personal choices:

1. Blanchett

2. Moore

3. McDormand

4. Zellweger

The rest were mostly dull, horrible choices and are in some random order except for Lawrence who was truly the bottom of the barrel.

Streep

Colman

Stone

Portman

Larson

Lawrence

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2021 4:01 PM

My ranking:

1. Blanchett

2. Moore

3. Zellweger

4. Colman

5. McDormand

6. Streep

7. Portman

8. Stone

9. Lawrence

10. Larson

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2021 4:14 PM

Portman: Ingenue factor. Am I the only one who didn't love this performance? It's certainly not Jennifer Lawrence level bad but all she did was cry. 90% of the performance was just choreography and dancing.

Streep: Everything about this win was horrible. The performance was hammy, she got the accent wrong, Weinstein was behind it, and it was a terrible film that nobody saw.

Lawrence: And the Oscar for best Harvey Weinstein cocksucker goes to...

Blanchett: Definitely the best ever Best Actress 2010s winner. However, her desperate attempt to win the award showed when said she didn't want to talk to the press because she was upset about Philip Seymour Hoffman. My ass she just didn't want to talk about the Woody Allen controversy. Her speech was a little cringeworthy too, "Daniel Day Lewis this just exacerbates the honor" and "Julia hashtag suck it."

Moore: Overdue factor. Rosamund Pike was robbed.

Larson: The little boy acted circles around her. Charlotte Rampling was robbed. Does she give the best blowjobs since Nancy Reagan? How does somebody so completely mediocre have a Hollywood career?

Stone: Isabelle Huppert was robbed. She literally was playing herself. Having said that, I think she's more likable than Lawrence and Larson.

McDormand: It's not a bad performance but it's really nothing special. I don't know why they gave her a second oscar for just a decent performance in a mediocre film when Robbie and Ronan were right there.

Colman: I think she's overrated but I'm glad she won over Glenn's nothing of a performance in The Wife. Seeing Glenn lose in that golden dress was pretty hysterical also.

Zellweger: I just can't believe she won for another mediocre performance AND this time with no Weinstein around to help her.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2021 4:26 PM

R9 Streep got the accent dead on and the movie made $120 million

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2021 4:40 PM

Chastain should have won for Zero Dark Thirty over J-Law's "look at me, I am acting" performance in SLPB

Handsdown Meryl Streep was the worst of the decade and arguably the worst Best Actress win ever. That movie was panned. Her acting was hammy. Why did she get the award, btw ? She already had 2 Oscars.

Zellweger : I always have a sweet spot for this lady. And she's never a bad actress in any movie. And every one likes an incredible comeback story. Her's is story of legends.

Blanchett was superb in Blue Jasmine. Well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2021 5:52 PM

Meryl was far from the worst, she really conveyed Thatcher

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2021 6:33 PM

Of the nominees I would have said the most deserving:

2011: Viola Davis (Charlize in Young Adult and Tilda in We Need To Talk About Kevin should have been nominated over Glenn and Rooney)

2012: Emmanuelle Riva

2013: Blanchett

2014: Witherspoon or Pike

2015: Rampling

2016: Huppert

2017: Sally Hawkins

2018: Melissa Mccarthy

2019: Renee Z

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2021 6:49 PM

Agreed, r6. She reminds me so much of an ex friend (I haven’t seen her in years). She used to take a group of friends on her private jet to Aspen for dinner, every couple of months. Her life seemed fabulous, and she was a sweetheart. Her husband ended up getting busted for all kinds of shady shit. He killed himself. He left her broke, and ran through her inheritance as well. Link to her husband’s activities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2021 7:07 PM

[quote]Handsdown Meryl Streep was the worst of the decade and arguably the worst Best Actress win ever. That movie was panned. Her acting was hammy. Why did she get the award, btw ? She already had 2 Oscars.

Streep wasn't the worst ever -- they'll never reward anything as bad as Pickford in Coquette -- but she was terrible, and so was the movie. Yes, she got the accent right, but she didn't have even the slightest understanding of who Margaret Thatcher was. It was a hammy caricature and nothing more.

I think I might be the only person here who is fine with Jennifer Lawrence and Brie Larson winning their Oscars. I think their performances don't receive any credit here because of the DL perception that Lawrence is a slut and Larson a scold, but Larson does a beautiful job with some very brutal scenes, while Jennifer Lawrence gets the energy of a David O. Russell movie better than almost anyone. Not my favorite wins by a longshot, but still respectable choices.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2021 7:15 PM

R15 they both deserved their nominations and some praise but did not deserve to win over their competition, especially Riva, Chastain and, Ronan and Rampling

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2021 7:29 PM

I thought people liked Renee as Judy?

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2021 6:55 AM

I don’t like chick flicks so the only one if these ten movies I even saw was Three Billboards and I found that overwrought.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2021 7:21 AM

^^^of these

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2021 7:21 AM

Winners should have been

Nettie Bening

Charlize Theron (Young Adult)

Emmanuelle Riva

Cate Blanchett

Reese Witherspoon

Maggie Smith (Lady In The Van)

Isabelle Huppert

Sally Hawkins

Big Glenn

Saoirse R

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2021 5:41 PM

Well looks like Miss Blanchett has more than a few fans here!

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2021 7:43 AM

JLaw deserves her last place. A nomination would have been sufficient for that performance

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2021 1:39 PM

OP, in addition to the final round featuring all the winners of each decade's poll, can you please also do a similar final round of the women who finished at the bottom in each decade? To help us decide who the worst of the winners is by seeing which one finishes last in that poll.

by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2021 2:52 PM

Are the winners so far

70’s - Liza 89’s - Meryl 90’s - Kathie Bates 00’s - Charlize 10’s - Cate

by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2021 3:08 PM

With punctuation

Are the winners so far

70’s - Liza; 80’s Meryl; 90’s - Kathie Bates; 00’s - Charlize ;10’s - Cate

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2021 3:31 PM

R25 did you also see/vote in the earlier polls? I can link them if not, back to the 1920s

R23 that never even occurred to me but I bloody love your idea! I will indeed. I haven't really been keeping an eye on who's bottom so will check.

Hope everyone's been enjoying these threads!

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2021 6:31 PM

OP, will you do the same for the other acting categories?

by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2021 6:32 PM

R27 yes I'd be happy to if people would enjoy it.

BSA or Actor next?

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2021 6:42 PM

Actor, please, R28.

by Anonymousreply 29July 25, 2021 6:43 PM

I think we should do Actor then S Actor and save S Actress for last.

by Anonymousreply 30July 25, 2021 6:45 PM

And maybe leave J Lange out of the BSA poll for the 80s so that the psycho Lange loon and its sockpuppets don't vote 500 times.

by Anonymousreply 31July 25, 2021 6:48 PM

I just watched The Favourite, but otherwise I haven’t seen ANY of these performances. Isn’t that odd?

by Anonymousreply 32July 25, 2021 6:52 PM

I actually agree with how DL has voted each decade. Except maybe the 70s- am a Jane Fonda Klute fan. I feel Saroise should have won too, especially for Lady Bird. I actually liked Renee as Judy she made you believe it was her which is no mean feat. I feel Meryl did not do the same with Thatcher. I would have liked Viola to win that year really. OP this is such a great thread.

by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2021 7:10 PM

R33 glad you are liking it. I really like reading everyone's thoughts and take on each decade

by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2021 7:11 PM

But I want to say I feel Meryl probably could/should have won for Adaptation and Silkwood

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2021 7:14 PM

Thanks OP, so nice to do something that really gives a lot of us joy.

by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2021 7:14 PM

[quote] I actually agree with how DL has voted each decade.

I don't for the 40s. Joan Crawford won for "MIldred Pierce," and I don;t think that's that good of a performance (Crawford is not a strong actress). it just won because it's the one everyone here has seen.

it should really have gone to Olivia de Havilland for "The Heiress," which may be the finest single performance of the studio era (runners-up: Barbara Stanwyck in "Stella Dallas," and Joan Fontaine in "Rebecca," though neither won Best Actress her year).

by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2021 7:26 PM

Both Reese Witherspoon and Rosamund Pike were more worthy of the oscar that year than Julianne Moore.

by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2021 8:40 PM

As much as I love Julianne Moore, seriously, Rosamund Pike should have won that year.

by Anonymousreply 39July 25, 2021 10:16 PM

R38: Felicity, Reese, Marion, and Rosamund were all more worthy than Moore

by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2021 10:18 PM

R40 what about me?

by Anonymousreply 41July 26, 2021 2:52 AM

We went from the worst winner ever Lawrence to the best winner ever Blanchett.

by Anonymousreply 42July 26, 2021 2:52 AM

I'm surprised so many people are voting for Brie Larson

by Anonymousreply 43July 26, 2021 2:10 PM

Wow lots of love for Olivia

by Anonymousreply 44July 26, 2021 5:39 PM

In hindsight Sally Hawkins probably should have won for "The Shape Of Water" over McDormand. She was wonderful

by Anonymousreply 45July 27, 2021 5:09 AM

Colman is the only one that was not 100% geared towards winning or being nominated for an Oscar. I really like it the most, very surprising and endearing.

by Anonymousreply 46July 27, 2021 5:24 AM

R25, your punctuation is wrong. The apostrophe goes before the numeric decades to replace 19 and 20. Also, Jessica Lange is the winner for the '90s.

by Anonymousreply 47July 27, 2021 4:28 PM

Jessica was disqualified because of cheating by her fan.

by Anonymousreply 48July 27, 2021 4:36 PM

Surprised Portman is polling as well as she is. That performance was pure amateur hour. Everyone in supporting acted circles around her.

by Anonymousreply 49July 27, 2021 4:39 PM

Olivia Colman was lucky to win for that hack one note piece of moviemaking.

How many awards is the bitch going to win before enough people catch on that the empress has no clothes?

by Anonymousreply 50July 27, 2021 4:39 PM

R50 Ouch, that's a bit harsh!

by Anonymousreply 51July 27, 2021 5:14 PM

Julianne Moore has been great in many things, but to win for Still Alice was ridiculous. That was one of the most forgettable movies I've ever seen. Ironic considering the subject matter.

by Anonymousreply 52July 27, 2021 5:22 PM

Brit here, I like Coleman for her comedy, but I must've been one of the only people who didn't like her Oscar speech, contrived from the moment her name was announced - "I used to work as a cleaner!" - that was the part that really irked me, bah, so patronising, just terrible.

by Anonymousreply 53July 27, 2021 5:45 PM

R53 I agree to an extent but no one was expecting her to win! Poor Glenn..

by Anonymousreply 54July 27, 2021 5:55 PM

I remember Olivia Coleman was really touching in her portrayal of a shy secretary in the BBC Olympics satire "Twenty Twelve", her boss was played by Hugh Bonneville and he was completely oblivious to her affection - she always works very well in ensembles, and is always memorable, and helps elevate things, she shouldn't feel the need to chase after "prestige".

by Anonymousreply 55July 27, 2021 5:55 PM

Glenn Close should team up with Stephen Frears once more!

by Anonymousreply 56July 27, 2021 5:59 PM

Has Glenn got anything lined up?

by Anonymousreply 57July 27, 2021 7:22 PM

Celebrity Big Brother perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 58July 27, 2021 7:26 PM

Glenn should put up her own money to produce Sunset Boulevard, if she believes in it so much..

by Anonymousreply 59July 27, 2021 7:27 PM

I doubt Paramount would let her. Like Gypsy with Barbara it’s a guaranteed FLOP.

by Anonymousreply 60July 27, 2021 7:32 PM

Surely they could make it for a pittance if Glenn waives her fee and they get one of her friends to loan their mansion?

by Anonymousreply 61July 27, 2021 7:34 PM

Has Glenn Close ever been a Gloria Swanson type, would she work as Norma Desmond on film? If they ever do a remake of Sunset, they should do a new twist on it, something that shows everyone else to be crazy rather than Norma Desmond.

by Anonymousreply 62July 27, 2021 7:39 PM

I've just read this wonderful comment, and I had to share it here:

"There’s more than a whiff of ancient Egypt about silent cinema.

Like tomb paintings wrapped in hieroglyphics, silent cinema’s dramatic gestures, ornate title cards and grand scenes bedecked with armies of costumed extras bore dynastiesaway, from scorching glory days to their horrible nitro celluloid demise.

Stardom, like pharaohhood granted godlike immortality, and what is celebrity if not a cult? Even the darkness of the cinema recalls the dust of the tomb in which the vestiges of vital power are encased and sealed with a kiss.

This is of course is not a new observation. The rise of cinema coincided with first dynasty art deco, and many cinemas embodied elements of Egyptian design, which thanks to Howard Carter and Tutankhamen was enjoying a minor renaissance at the time.

And Gloria did hieroglyphics very well. Her emotional semaphore transported her audiences into helpless slavery and her whiplash eyebrows kept their rapt attention until slow anthems returned them to the other side of the turnstiles."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 27, 2021 8:30 PM

Looks like Cate has her fans

by Anonymousreply 64July 28, 2021 12:34 PM

Looking forward to Jen Lawrence showing up in the "Worst Winner by Decade" poll. Hope she finishes last in that one too.

by Anonymousreply 65July 28, 2021 5:18 PM

r65, you mean, the least worst? Or the most worst?

by Anonymousreply 66July 28, 2021 5:20 PM

I’ve not seen Portman, Stone and Zellwegger and I thought all three of them deserved their Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 67August 14, 2021 4:21 AM

I’ve only seen Portman, Stone and Zellwegger and I thought each actress deserved their Oscar. I wasn’t interested in seeing the other performers because their movies seemed small.

by Anonymousreply 68August 14, 2021 4:23 AM

Gaga should have won over Olivia Colman.

by Anonymousreply 69August 14, 2021 5:03 AM

[quote]In hindsight Sally Hawkins probably should have won for "The Shape Of Water" over McDormand. She was wonderful

I like Sally Hawkins and really enjoyed that particular performance, but I thought McDormand's in 3BB was head-and-shoulders above it.

by Anonymousreply 70June 23, 2022 10:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!