Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: the coolest AirBnB ever, but I couldn't live there

I imagine you'd have endless tourists not realizing it was a private home and rattling on your doors all the time.

And although I respect what the architects did, trying to keep the central spiral motif in through all the floors, I hate that white staircase sitting right in the middle of the entry. That space could have been useful if they'd placed the stairs along the wall.

And don't get me started on trying to carry anything to or from the actual living floors...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2021 6:27 PM

For anyone who can't get past the Times's registration, here's another link with a few pictures:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2021 7:16 PM

Not for those with vertigo. Or for anyone who stops to think about how impossible it would be to heat an open-to-the-top tower in a London winter.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2021 7:19 PM

I remember seeing this somewhere else before, maybe Twitter. It's beautiful but there are so many downsides to it that it would impractical to live there, just due to heating alone, like r2 said.

True to Tasteful Friends tradition, it has a glamorous staircase that will easily kill you dead within the first week of living there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2021 7:20 PM

OP is the POS NYT Troll. FF.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2021 8:01 PM

What OP said: it would be great long-weekend getaway, but a totally impractical place to live.

And r2, I doubt anyone who has $5 million lying around to spend on a folly is going to worry much about heating costs.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2021 8:13 PM

I stumbled on this place by chance walking around London in 2008 - the nave of the church is a public garden. Since the tower was obviously not a ruin I walked up to the ground level windows and looked in - it had obviously been adapted as an apartment, though it didn’t look like people were living there at the time. The article says the residential conversion work went from 2000 - 2018. What I remember looked finished and domestic but not as grand as that entry area in the article - I assume the design evolved over the next decade. In any event I was amazed and intrigued and I’d live there in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2021 8:29 PM

That's exactly what I meant, r6: I assume you'd have tourists looking in your windows and perhaps trying to find the entrance all the time, not realizing that the spire was a private home.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2021 8:40 PM

Miss R4, please unbunch your panties and try to relax a bit.

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2021 8:41 PM

OP- you’re right, but it seems from the article that the current configuration has all the real living spaces above ground level. Of course that won’t stop the curious from peering in the low windows, but if you have the kind of attitude that would embrace this unusual place as your home, that likely wouldn’t phase you too much I had a second floor studio apartment with two huge 8 foot high windows that I never covered. I knew people walking by at night could see in, but I really didn’t care; I know I’m atypical in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2021 11:55 PM

Just looking at the first few pictures -- that table wedged into the narrow space on the ground floor has sharp right-angled corners, and the chairs look hard and uncomfortable -- you'd get black and blue trying to sit there? It would make far more sense to put some kind of padded seats or sofa there so you could have a relaxing drink looking out at the garden / park. I assume that glass door opens, so you could really sit al fresco with a bit of a more considered design.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2021 6:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!