Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oh, dear....a well known journalist here in London has posted a tweet rejoicing in the death of another journalist

who at some point dissed him.

The Brits are up in arms over this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 27, 2021 6:30 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2021 2:34 PM

Rejoicing? He's just asking a question.... LOL

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2021 2:36 PM

Suddenly when someone terrible dies, we have to automatically be sad?

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2021 2:38 PM

[quote]Suddenly when someone terrible dies, we have to automatically be sad?

Apparently visibly, yes.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2021 2:40 PM

[quote] The Brits are up in arms over this.

Well that's an over exaggeration. At a mere 217 Retweets161 Quote Tweets1,430 likes its hardly the civil war.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2021 2:44 PM

He's hot.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2021 2:46 PM

Giles Coren is a completely worthless human being, so no surprise here.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2021 2:46 PM

[quote] At a mere 217 Retweets161 Quote Tweets1,430 likes its hardly the civil war.

There's also the Daily Mail story...and a dozen other tabloids

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2021 2:48 PM

The 33 year-old dead woman doesn't sound "terrible", R4. The guy who made the unkind remarks didn't like her but he could have just said nothing about her death.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2021 2:48 PM

When you consider how touchy everyone is these days it was a poor decision to write what he wrote.

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2021 2:50 PM

Apparently, all she said was that he got his writing job though nepotism.

Does this actually constitute a “vile attack?”

Seems that he’s asking for a real vile attack.

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2021 2:52 PM

So outside of saying he got his job because of his father - what else did she say?

As an American, I've liked many of Giles' shows over the years - although his ego did tend to annoy at times. I only know him from seeing some shows online as we don't get a TON of British TV content, but the stuff I did fine was thoroughly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2021 2:54 PM

Can you imagine the parties in the street when Trump dies? This guy is chump change compared to what that will be.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2021 2:56 PM

r8 The Daily Mail apparently have it in for the guy going by the fact they have about 30 articles about his ""eco Jag" getting stolen the other week. But beyond that the stories not on the BBC news page, only the Express and Mirror seem to have bothered writing about it and not even the UK twitter trending page can be bothered since they're busy complaining about Pingdemic.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2021 2:57 PM

Go away OP and keep your bullshit Brit nonsense to a discussion site in your own country. There's a reason the world hates you guys, and it's due in part because of the nuisance you make of yourself like this.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2021 2:59 PM

The Mail is being a bit weird here, as Foster would normally be the sort of lefty journalist they'd normally be very hostile to.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2021 3:00 PM

r16 Yeah but if they get a scandal going about these "vile reprehensible tweets" they might get him fired. Doubt it'll work though. Its too hot for even the most dedicated of Gammon to to care right now.

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2021 3:03 PM

I think it's more likely that someone in charge at the Mail Online just doesn't like Giles Coren more than "everyone getting up in arms about it". He can be an absolute arse and is actually known for trolling people on twitter himself using burner accounts.

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2021 3:04 PM

R12, I was poking around on Twitter and believe the only thing she said was that just because his dad was famous didn't mean what Giles said was important or interesting. I honestly can't find anything else in a search. She doesn't seem to have trolled him like he claims.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2021 3:13 PM

Oh my.........there's obviously some bad blood between those two

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2021 3:28 PM

Whatever the dispute, he should know how this would come off. It’s a very immature response.

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2021 3:41 PM

[quote]R11 Apparently, all she said was that he got his writing job though nepotism. Does this actually constitute a “vile attack?”

He’s like the deadbeat incels who flip out when everyone doesn’t automatically worship them.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2021 3:43 PM

America has its own version of that, R22 -- we even let him live in our White House for 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2021 3:52 PM

Honestly, not everyone mourns the same way! People should be allowed to grieve in their own ways......which might look like joy to some.

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2021 3:54 PM

Apparently not a Datalounger. All he needed to say was, thoughts and prayers.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2021 4:01 PM

Isn't he the one who started the Prince William / Rose Cholmondeley rumors and then backtracked?

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2021 4:04 PM

An honorary Datalounger then, R25.

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2021 4:06 PM

[quote] Suddenly when someone terrible dies, we have to automatically be sad?

Yes, R3.

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2021 4:07 PM

Giles Coren is a disgusting human being with the table manners of a pig and a really disturbing way of writing about his own children and those of other people.

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2021 4:12 PM

Behind his back I tear into my psycho fuckboy bitch of a cousin, who used his journalism MA to get a job at a hipster food magazine in Soho that nobody fucking reads, but I guess I have to say it still beats being a London tabloid reporter these days.

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2021 4:27 PM

Coren comes off as possessing Trump levels of pettiness and narcissism. This person was not a war criminal, she simply suggested that nepotism played a part in his career. Which given his over the top reaction, I suspect is an assessment he secretly agrees with. No one secure in their intelligence and accomplishments would get this worked up.

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2021 4:35 PM

Apparently Coren is a restaurant critic. That's code for self important and snot nosed douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2021 4:39 PM

If someone bullied you at school or work, then you hear they died, should you automatically feel grief, relief that no more bullying can take place, or be above the moon with joy?

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2021 4:45 PM

Really, that’s the kind of thing a person should keep to themselves, or perhaps write in their personal diary.

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2021 4:48 PM

It will be interesting to see if he's "cancelled" - people never learn, they seem to think twitter is made up of their best buddies.

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2021 4:48 PM

He sounds lovely

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2021 4:49 PM

In any case, you're not supposed to admit it out loud, R33.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2021 4:50 PM

It’s perfectly all right to think it, to tell your wife it, write about in in your pink journal with the gold lock.

As for posting it on social media? Be circumspect. Tweet that tweet no sooner than 6 months after his death and only if he is a public figure.

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2021 4:56 PM

He won’t get the sack. He works for a Murdoch rag and they love this schtick from posh people whom they can pass off as “eccentric” and “non-woke” rather than a “rude, nasty pig”.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2021 5:00 PM

The son of Alan Coren got a job as a food writer, as did Tom Parker Bowles No nepotism to see here folks, please move along.

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2021 5:04 PM

His father was a journalist. Media people are frequently assholes and their offspring are even worse. Just look at Chris Wallace, the fox news host ( son of Mike Wallace) or that horrid Matt Taibbi ( son of some Boston reporter whose name escapes me).

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2021 5:12 PM

His sister is great on that quiz show she presents. Didn’t realize she was married to David Mitchell!

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2021 5:15 PM

Does Giles Coren seriously think that he would have the job that he does if he came from a normal background and didn't have his father's contacts? What a wanker.

by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2021 5:27 PM

[quote]"I'm sorry for the people who loved you, and any human death diminishes me, but can you f*** off on to hell now where you belong"?'

Obviously the last clause of this sentence shows the first two as nasty low sarcasm. This man is 51 and sitting pretty in a prominent soft media job. A restaurant critic who can't stand the heat! The heat being a crack about nepotism, which will now be rightly revived. This smug entitled hack has confirmed himself forever as a nasty piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2021 5:40 PM

[quote]His sister is great on that quiz show she presents. Didn’t realize she was married to David Mitchell!

I was never that keen on her until she did a wonderful documentary about the woman who wrote Mary Poppins - much better than that terrible movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2021 5:41 PM

Whatever your view of what Giles C said, it's a bit baffling to see Dawn Foster's friends all coming out as defenders of respectfulness and taste in public discourse. Owen Jones, Ash Sarkar, etc.

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2021 5:44 PM

She didn't bully him, r33.

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2021 5:48 PM

They are people I will rejoice at with their death. I di want it to be quick so I can get on with my life. I'm not sadistic.

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2021 5:48 PM

Thanks R45 will watch this eve.

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2021 5:54 PM

Evil people die too. I get what Coren is saying.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2021 5:57 PM

Giles Coren is a twat but Dawn Foster was a vile racist cunt, and even worse, a lazy journalist who wrote the same thing over and over again. Some of Foster's articles in The Guardian were parody. There was one about the Newport by election following the death of Paul Flynn where she predicted that if Labour held the seat it would be due to Corbyn, but if Labour lost the seat it would be the responsibility of the Carwyn Jones.

She's a typical left wing anti semite who used her devout Catholicism as a cover for it. She and Owen Jones, along with many others Corbyn activists would plan their media appearances and agree on attack lines they would use. The day after the BBC Panorama aired on antisemitism in the Labour Party Labour refused to put its MPs up for discussion but Dawn Foster gladly went on TV and radio (4 shows in one day!) to traduce the reputations of the whistleblowers and repeat pro Corbyn defence lines. The whistleblowers were of course vindicated when the EHRC ruled that Labour had unlawfully discriminated against Jews.

Dawn Foster had lifelong health problems with contributed her rather unfortunate appearance. If she'd been more telegenic she would have had the same media profile as fellow antisemites Ash Sarkar and Grace Blakeley.

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2021 6:12 PM

This is the story about her being part of a Corbyn campaign.

There's no issue with journalists being activists but when invited on to defend Corbyn she should have been introduced as "Labour Party spokesperson" not "journalist".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2021 6:14 PM

Giles Coren is a cocky, arrogant twat. He lives near me and he’s always posting on Next Door about his cat going missing, sometimes for weeks at a time. I think maybe the cat doesn’t like Giles very much either.

by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2021 6:18 PM

[quote]Whatever your view of what Giles C said, it's a bit baffling to see Dawn Foster's friends all coming out as defenders of respectfulness and taste in public discourse. Owen Jones, Ash Sarkar, etc.

The Corbynite left is slowly realising that it's losing more and more influence as each day goes on. Dawn Foster's death has given them something to rally round and it's convenient they get to attack a Jew in the process.

Their response to Jess Phillips' dismissive comment about them was hilarious. It reminded me of Tanya's response to Rhonda 'calling her a cocksucker at the end of Muriel's Wedding. Huge "I'm married, I'm beautiful" vibes from them.

Owen Jones was attacking Tony Blair over the Iraq war again today. That's the depth of their arguments.

It's going to be even better when Unite is taken over by a moderate and the new general secretary stops paying the legal bills of the Labour Party antisemites who leaked the details of Jews who complained about antisemitism and whose details ended up on neo nazi websites.

by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2021 6:26 PM

What Giles posted was innocuous, but he's still a Grade-A cunt.

by Anonymousreply 55July 22, 2021 6:33 PM

If you want to rejoice over someone's death, that is certainly your right; but if you're smart, keep it to yourself.

Just because you CAN tweet your opinion to the world doesn't mean you SHOULD.

But no one seems to understand that.

by Anonymousreply 56July 22, 2021 6:34 PM

However much of a cunt she was, his post was very vitriolic. He's what gays in America call "angrygurl".

And posting for days about his Jaguar going missing recently - he needs to keep his thoughts and private life to himself. I think Twitter is ghastly. I, personally, only like chatting with other gays online.

by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2021 6:38 PM

I just like the use of putrid. You don't get to hear it very often.

by Anonymousreply 58July 22, 2021 6:51 PM

We can get our knickers in a knot over posh boy food witers or Everton players today. which shall we choose?

by Anonymousreply 59July 22, 2021 7:01 PM

That's a hawt 51 ! He's clearly innocent of whatever.

by Anonymousreply 60July 22, 2021 7:04 PM

[quote] He's what gays in America call "angrygurl".

As myself a gay in America, let me confidently assure you neither I nor any other gay I know uses that [italic]outré[/italic] term.

by Anonymousreply 61July 22, 2021 7:05 PM

[quote] I think Twitter is ghastly.

Just ghastly!

by Anonymousreply 62July 22, 2021 7:06 PM

My favourite response was The Guardian's media editor Jim Waterson tweeting that he had asked The Times press office for a response to the story.

That's Jim Waterson of The Guardian. the publisher of violent rape fantasist Frankie Boyle who amongst other things bullied an Olympic gold medalist about her appearance so badly she ended up getting plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 63July 22, 2021 7:07 PM

R48 yeah I definitely get that.

My grandmother makes me feel this way. She’s pushing 90, miserable, purposeless, reviled by almost everyone she knows. Me and my mother help care for her part-time because no other family member will do it, and she’s such an elitist nasty bitch about it.

Not to sound like a Facebook yoga Frau—being myself a person who does not like to hold onto negativity and cruel toxic energy, and also someone who believes that what we request can come down on us in ways unforeseen, I truly do wish my grandmother a peaceful, swift and painless passing when the time comes, with all the light and love in the world to embrace her spirit; I just wish it would come soon, to release the maternal line in my family from all this ugly karma. And I won’t be crying at her funeral.

by Anonymousreply 64July 22, 2021 7:15 PM

Another vote to acquit by reason of hotness here, R60.

by Anonymousreply 65July 22, 2021 7:30 PM

Coren is a right-winger?

by Anonymousreply 66July 22, 2021 8:51 PM

I very much doubt it, R66. He's probably centre-left in most things but just a bit blokey in his manner (which might make him "right-wing" to some).

by Anonymousreply 67July 22, 2021 9:21 PM

Giles Coren has previously written about voting Labour like all good liberal metropolitan Jews. But like the overwhelming majority of British Jews there was no way he was voting for Corbyn's Labour Party.

Compare that to Dawn Foster who boasted that she would not vote Labour in 2015 when she lived in Streatham (liberal pro European black MP Chuka Umunna) but then announced she'd donated money to Kate Hoey's campaign in Vauxhall in 2017 AND campaigned for her. That's Kate Hoey, the crank MP who had literally sailed up the Thames with Nigel Farage and had campaigned for a hard Brexit during the 2016 referndum. The pro fox hunting and DUP supporting Kate Hoey. That's Kate Hoey who voted to oppose abortion and gay rights in Northern Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 68July 22, 2021 9:29 PM

It’s rich seeing DLers clutch their pearls over someone announcing their delight in the death of an adversary. You cunts feigning outrage should die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 69July 23, 2021 12:15 AM

Men are such thin skinned whiny little bitches.

by Anonymousreply 70July 23, 2021 12:22 AM

R68 - did her disabilities make her emotionally unstable or impair her judgement?

by Anonymousreply 71July 23, 2021 12:23 AM

[quote][R68] - did her disabilities make her emotionally unstable or impair her judgement?

No, her political beliefs made her unstable and impaired her judgment

In 2015 she refused to vote Labour (a Jewish leader, a black local candidate) but in 2017 she supported an anti gay, anti abortion, pro Brexit Labour MP. And in 2019 was happy to represent the Labour Party on numerous TV shows defending Labour over charges of racism against Jews having agreed with Labour's media team which attack and defence lines to take.

This is Foster appearing on the BBC the day after the Panorama programme, sat next to a Jewish journalist, trotting out Labour Party lines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 23, 2021 7:48 AM

Like I said, her disabilities had emotional repercussions abetting her poor judgement, r72.

Which makes she's stupidly dangerous if you countenance her claims as being more than her historic sequalae of being an aristocratic dumb fuck. She's more dangerous as a Stalin impressionist than that craxy, weirdo

by Anonymousreply 73July 23, 2021 8:07 AM

[quote] The Mail is being a bit weird here, as Foster would normally be the sort of lefty journalist they'd normally be very hostile to.

Don't assume that. The Mail will seek sensational stories wherever they can find it.

by Anonymousreply 74July 23, 2021 8:08 AM

Giles Coren used to be quite cute a decade ago.

I slightly sympathise with the chattering classes (paid and unpaid) who are competing against each other to be noticed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 23, 2021 8:14 AM

[QUOTE]Like I said, her disabilities had emotional repercussions abetting her poor judgement, [R72]. Which makes she's stupidly dangerous if you countenance her claims as being more than her historic sequalae of being an aristocratic dumb fuck. She's more dangerous as a Stalin impressionist than that craxy, weirdo

There are lots of her fellow travellers who took the exact same road as her, who would regularly attack Labour before Corbyn and then went into automatic defence mode. Her disabilities didn't impact on that, her political beliefs did, like with all the others.

When Russia launched a chemical attack on the UK with the Novichok poisoning in Salisbury, Jeremy Corbyn's instinctive reaction was to give Russia the benefit of the doubt and he called for Russia to be given a sample of the Novichok to state whether it was theirs. When further intelligence came out making it clear Russia was responsible, Corbyn's media chief Seamus Milne (ex Guardian) claimed you couldn't trust British Intelligence because Iraq. Naturally there, were also conspiracy theories pushed by Dawn Foster's far left friends that it was Israel who had carried out the chemical attack, because, you know, Jews...

When the BBC's Newsnight covered Corbyn's Russian sympathies Owen Jones launched a quite manic attack on the BBC for photoshopping Corbyn's hat. That's how obsessed Corbyn's media outriders were with defending the indefensible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 23, 2021 8:21 AM

Isn't Coren widely regarded as spreading rumors of William's cheating with the gay Marques of Cholmodelay's buxom, young wife, Rose? He then also deleted the post because as an inveterate gossip and poorly controlled drunk, he couldn't account for himself or where he might have heard the rumour, but thar he blew... Chronic drunks have a way of attracting attention and then denying their very participation. Congrats, Giles! You man of s hunk you cunt!!!

by Anonymousreply 77July 23, 2021 8:28 AM

[quote]poorly controlled drunk

Which explains a lot, while not exculpating. In vino veritas.

by Anonymousreply 78July 23, 2021 11:28 AM

The horrid graffiti

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 23, 2021 11:46 AM

Giles removing the graffiti - ([bold]ALERT!!! [/bold]Plumber's butt crack NSFW)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 23, 2021 11:48 AM

Though some are saying it's NOT Giles @ work.

by Anonymousreply 81July 23, 2021 11:49 AM

I want Giles Coren to hate fuck me; I think he'd be great at it.

by Anonymousreply 82July 23, 2021 11:54 AM

R82 = the Ghost of Dawn

by Anonymousreply 83July 23, 2021 12:05 PM

R80 Post by Black Lives Matter (UK branch)

by Anonymousreply 84July 23, 2021 12:39 PM

He's been conspicuous in his absence from The Times since all this.

by Anonymousreply 85July 26, 2021 9:57 PM

Perhaps The Daily Mail will snap him up, he'll fit right in there.

by Anonymousreply 86July 27, 2021 5:58 AM

He's gone undercover.

by Anonymousreply 87July 27, 2021 6:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!