Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dune Trailer: I’m sorry this has flop written all over it

I will watch it on HBO Max but it looks boring as fuck and bleak to look at, and humorless. Star Wars set entirely on Tatoonie, but without whimsy and fun creatures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 6, 2021 3:24 PM

I mean even John Carter at least had fun aliens and Taylor Kitsch’s bare tit muscles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2021 1:58 PM

I don't like the vibe of this trailer but the movie LOOKS incredible.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2021 1:59 PM

Didn't they film this years ago? Just after Call Me by Your Name

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2021 2:00 PM

An October 22 release date has "flop written all over it."

This was supposed to be the holiday event movie of last year. Warner Bros is obviously clearing DUNE out to make way for MATRIX 4 in December.

This will be a casualty of the pandemic, because it was destined to be a hit in December with full positioning by the studio. It has a top-notch cast and director. It looks great. Only COVID-19 stopped it from being a worldwide hit with a captive audience last year.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2021 2:08 PM

It's DUNE! Would be an abomination if it had cute, comic relief aliens and robots. It will have to live up to the books. One of the problems with the 1984 movie was it tried to compress too much story into a single movie. Same problem Lord of the Rings movies had. A miniseries would be better but I'll give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2021 2:15 PM

This movie looks fantastic, can't wait. Great book, great look, a nice event film that doesn't involve fucking Iron Man or Batman or C3P0. Great cast, music, visuals. A movie made for theaters.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2021 2:18 PM

I like everything about the trailer except for Chalamet's mushmouth, nasal diction. He sounds like a kid with a head cold.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2021 2:34 PM

It's a shame that this might bomb because Villenuve is a fantastic director.

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2021 2:56 PM

The book isn’t exactly a laugh riot.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2021 2:57 PM

The whole Dune series is epically humourless. Would a Bene Gesserit tap routine have been so bad?

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2021 3:08 PM

I barely made it through the trailer. I saw the original Dune movie years ago and wasn't that impressed.

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2021 3:12 PM

True. It is humorless. Either you take the book on its own terms or dismiss it all. At least it isn't another Marvel movie. Looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2021 3:13 PM

I can’t wait to not watch this.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2021 3:14 PM

Lord of the Rings was THREE films and they were brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2021 3:17 PM

[quote]Star Wars set entirely on Tatoonie [sic], but without whimsy and fun creatures.

George Lucas borrowed from many sources. Tatooine was inspired by the desert planet of Arrakis in Dune (published in 1965). Arrakis was first.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2021 3:19 PM

I don't think it was ever really destined to be a hit. It seems a lot more experimental and dark compared to what audiences seem to want these days (also Iron Man isn't going to show up and make a quip). But yeah an October release when a large chunk of the audience who might otherwise have gone to see it being able to get a high quality rip due to being simultaneously released on HBOMax really is its death sentence.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2021 3:30 PM

Couldn't it have been made as a musical, maybe with the Spice Girls?

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2021 3:30 PM

Yes! I also like wise cracking polar bears or saucy antelopes or anteaters. Maybe a talking car too? I'm not sure how they expect an average person to relate to all this doomy drama

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2021 3:39 PM

[quote] I don't think it was ever really destined to be a hit.

Max Bialystock is producing movies now?

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2021 3:47 PM

Loved the first three books, this looks fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2021 3:53 PM

Here's another show i hate because it's not more like "Star Wars."

I mean, they even have princesses, so why couldn't they also have X-wing fighters and droids?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2021 3:57 PM

Oh poppa-tooney,

We got a loony from Tatoonie!

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2021 3:59 PM

R16 I didn't realize they were still doing the simultaneous release on HBOMax. That seems like a really bad idea, in terms of making a profit.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2021 4:14 PM

Will this be the POC version?

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2021 4:15 PM

Will it feature a strange child and an orgasming old woman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2021 4:25 PM

[quote] I didn't realize they were still doing the simultaneous release on HBOMax. That seems like a really bad idea, in terms of making a profit.

All of WB's 2021 films will have the simultaneous release. I reckon the decision was made because they wanted to hedge their bets in case the pandemic took another turn.

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2021 4:29 PM

I want to like it, but after going to IMDB and looking at the trailer, I am not hopeful.

AND -- there is no Shadout Mapes in this iteration, so there's that strike against it right out of the box ... !

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2021 4:35 PM

I thought Freman eyes were supposed to glow or something? Is this a woke thing? Blue is bad?

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2021 4:41 PM

nvm, was my phone display

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2021 4:42 PM

Yes, R14, LOTR was three films, but a lot of the books had to be cut out to fit into individual movies, and even then people complained that the third movie went on forever. Always a problem when adapting books into movies.

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2021 4:46 PM

[quote]It's a shame that this might bomb because Villenuve is a fantastic director.

His films are grandiose and gorgeous looking, while being soulless and empty. There's something crucial missing in the way he tells stories. I'll definitely see this one but I already know what to expect.

BTW, the Dune novels are extremely hard to turn into film or tv show. None that I've seen have managed to truly capture the magic of the series. Not that I'm a fan really but I do remember enjoying the first few books in my 20s when I started reading them. They were surprisingly captivating and deep, at least for me.

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2021 4:46 PM

It seems like it’s been filmed in the dark. Timotay is no action star.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2021 4:51 PM

[quote] His films are grandiose and gorgeous looking, while being soulless and empty. There's something crucial missing in the way he tells stories. I'll definitely see this one but I already know what to expect.

100% agree. Villneuve's films a beautiful to look at, but thus far the scripts he's chosen have been sub-par (exception being Sicario, featuring a great script by Taylor Sheridan).

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2021 4:56 PM

A film like this needs to be released either at Christmas or in the summer. The hybrid release format also hurts its chances of becoming a big box office hit. Another thing I think too is TFD and Dune are coming out on the same day. It's too much and his PR is really getting desperate here.

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2021 6:17 PM

[quote]. A film like this needs to be released either at Christmas or in the summer. The hybrid release format also hurts its chances of becoming a big box office hit. Another thing I think too is TFD and Dune are coming out on the same day. It's too much and his PR is really getting desperate here.

It's questionable whether - in the best circumstances - have become a box office hit.

His PR has nothing to due with the films release dates. Both films were victims of the pandemic. Dune was to be released in November of 2020, The French Dispatch July 2020, then October 2020. It's smart to have them out on the same day because fans of comedy will see TFD and fans of action/sci-fi will have DUNE.

The only other films, to my knowledge, being released that day is the latest JACKASS film and the animated film RON'S GONE WRONG. So there's not much competition for eyes.

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2021 6:26 PM

OP, you just need the [italic]spice Melange.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2021 6:35 PM

I don't get why they called it Melange i.e. "Mix" / "Amalgamation"

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2021 6:39 PM

The books are amazing. I recall reading them in my 20s, my first books in English (I'm French). Good times...

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2021 6:58 PM

So tired of all the damn remakes.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2021 6:59 PM

[quote] I don't get why they called it Melange i.e. "Mix" / "Amalgamation"

Because it's a melange of different spices.

Mystery solved!

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2021 7:01 PM

That spice is worm shit and everyone knows it!

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2021 7:25 PM

There's nothing questionable about it.

R35 knows nothing of show business and how studios like Warner Brothers, who are Too Big to Fail, can and do make hits out of anything they choose with the right P&A campaign and release date on an extended, American holiday.

TRANSFORMERS were shitty films, but they all made their money back because they got the studio's best efforts and U.S. holiday release dates. No tentpole "flops" anymore — they merely underperform expectations.

Unless a pandemic hits and they cancel the opening, then move it to a non-holiday weekend.

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2021 7:35 PM

So there is a drug called blancmange? I had it as a kid and my eyes never turned blue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2021 7:50 PM

[quote]Because it's a melange of different spices.

It isn't though.

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2021 10:35 PM

No-o-o-o, it's worm shit, like mI said!

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2021 10:36 PM

The Directors Guild made a change to how films will qualify for the DGA award this year: [quote]The Directors Guild of America National Board at its recent meeting unanimously approved reinstating its requirement of an exclusive theatrical run for the Guild’s top award. To be eligible for the DGA’s Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Theatrical Feature Film Award, films released after June 15, 2021 must have an exclusive theatrical run of at least 7 days prior to any other exhibition. Under the rule, which was first introduced in 2019, feature films released through other distribution platforms on the same ‘day and date’ as they premiere in theaters are not eligible for the DGA Theatrical Feature Film Award.

I wonder if Warner Bros will reconsider its day-and-date plan for the rest of the year. If they release Dune day-and-date, Villeneuve won't be eligible for DGA consideration. Maybe they'll do an exclusive one-screen-in-LA release on Oct 15 before the HBO Max and wide theatrical release on Oct 22.

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2021 10:55 PM

The Directors Guild made a change to how films will qualify for the DGA award this year:

[quote]The Directors Guild of America National Board at its recent meeting unanimously approved reinstating its requirement of an exclusive theatrical run for the Guild’s top award. To be eligible for the DGA’s Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Theatrical Feature Film Award, films released after June 15, 2021 must have an exclusive theatrical run of at least 7 days prior to any other exhibition. Under the rule, which was first introduced in 2019, feature films released through other distribution platforms on the same ‘day and date’ as they premiere in theaters are not eligible for the DGA Theatrical Feature Film Award.

I wonder if Warner Bros will reconsider its day-and-date plan for the rest of the year. If they release Dune day-and-date, Villeneuve won't be eligible for DGA consideration. Maybe they'll do an exclusive one-screen-in-LA release on Oct 15 before the HBO Max and wide theatrical release on Oct 22.

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2021 10:56 PM

It could have been a hit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2021 11:17 PM

It might not be worm shit...it could be worm puke.

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2021 11:18 PM

Nah, that's alien annelid scat.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2021 11:27 PM

R49: Worm puke is called the Water Of Life in the first novel. The spice probably is worm droppings or worm snot.

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2021 11:31 PM

"Melange is formed with water and the excretions of sand trout underground," "a mass formed," "once the pressure builds this mass comes rushing to the surface, drying, and becoming spice melange."

I thought everybody knew this.

by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2021 11:45 PM

I will see this, but with lowered expectations. The stunt casting of Timotay, Zendaya, and Jason Momoa doesn't work for me.

Timotay is well-suited to play angsty teens. He doesn't have the gravitas to play a guerrilla leader and messiah.

by Anonymousreply 53July 23, 2021 6:56 AM

Kyle MacLachlan was just about the same age as Chalamet when he played the lead in Dune, but he looked like a grown man, not an angsty teen.

by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2021 1:00 PM

[quote] MacLachlan was just about the same age as Chalamet when he played the lead in Dune, but he looked like a grown man

So he was miscast - Paul is 15.

by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2021 1:06 PM

The events of the plot make more sense if it's all happening to a young man in his early 20s rather than a fifteen-year-old. The Chosen One being a teenager is so YA.

by Anonymousreply 56July 23, 2021 1:11 PM

Tim O'Tay is the only reason I'm going to see this mess. Though if The French Dispatch is playing at the same theatre at the same time, I may see that instead, and let my friend see Dune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 23, 2021 1:12 PM

Classic story. Let's hope they do a better job this time - I didn't care for the Lynch version.

I don't mind Timmy as Paul. And I'm not a Zendaya (sp?) fan either, but I think this is good casting.

I'm looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 58July 23, 2021 1:19 PM

Whenever I think of Dune, I think of the miniseries

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 23, 2021 1:22 PM

Timothee acts like he is drugged and realizes his whole career has been a lie. How can he carry this film?

by Anonymousreply 60July 23, 2021 1:33 PM

If you are too lazy to read the novels and don't mind spoilers, this guy does a very fine job of explaining the characters and concepts the books address.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 23, 2021 3:49 PM

r60 lol!

by Anonymousreply 62July 23, 2021 3:50 PM

This trailer has me very excited - looks to me a good adaptation of the books. I like Timmy as Paul; his thin build and small stature are a good fit for the age of the character. I’m a little disappointed about the blue spice eyes….wasn’t really noticing it here on the Freman?

by Anonymousreply 63July 23, 2021 4:20 PM

Paul and his girlfriend (name escapes me) have spice-blue eyes in the final shot of the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 64July 23, 2021 7:14 PM

I'm still upset the world never received Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune.

by Anonymousreply 65July 23, 2021 10:41 PM

[quote]An October 22 release date has "flop written all over it."

Yeah, but the new Bond movie comes out Oct. 8. If WB is dumping Dune, by the same rationale, the other studio would be dumping Bond too, wouldn’t they? Hard to imagine that’s the case.

I say this as someone who has no plans to see Dune and cannot stand Timmée, btw.

by Anonymousreply 66July 23, 2021 10:50 PM

I was thinking of rereading the novel for the first time since the 70s. Will I regret it?

by Anonymousreply 67July 24, 2021 12:59 AM

R65 : It was over the top and veered to far from the book.

by Anonymousreply 68July 24, 2021 1:46 AM

Oscar Isaac looks hot as fuck! The longish, salt and pepper hair and beard really work for him. Yum.

I don’t give a shit about Timmy, give me his dad!

by Anonymousreply 69July 24, 2021 2:13 AM

We have had three film versions of the story in 40 years. Why?

by Anonymousreply 70July 24, 2021 2:44 AM

And it always flops.

by Anonymousreply 71July 24, 2021 3:03 AM

We've had over a dozen Batman films (lead or a character) in 30 years. 9th Spiderman movie incoming, a dozen Star Wars movies, anyway you don't give a shit you just want to bitch. Dune looks phenomenal

by Anonymousreply 72July 24, 2021 2:07 PM

[quote]An October 22 release date has "flop written all over it."

Yeah, I was kind of surprised it wasn't released in the summer; releasing it in October sort of stinks of "dumped" which is too bad because it looks good

by Anonymousreply 73July 24, 2021 10:43 PM

They were probably expecting the COVID situation be much better at that point with most people being vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 74July 25, 2021 12:05 AM

Such negativity from a mere viewing of a trailer. This film critic sounds like a DLer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 25, 2021 3:31 AM

Variety thinks Dune has much better odds of getting a Best Picture nomination than The French Dispatch does, although neither look very likely at this point. They rank Dune at #19 and FD at #30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 25, 2021 3:51 AM

Yeah an October release date seems like a death sentence. Just ask Blade Runner 2049.

by Anonymousreply 77July 25, 2021 4:50 AM

R76 Oscar predictions? It’s fucking July.

by Anonymousreply 78July 26, 2021 1:37 PM

I know someone who saw the movie and they said it is incredible and their favorite movie in years.

by Anonymousreply 79July 31, 2021 5:19 PM

They've previewed the first 10 minutes fairly widely and it's getting great word of mouth.

by Anonymousreply 80July 31, 2021 5:37 PM

It's already made over 100 million at the box office overseas so a flop? Hardly. People overseas have been seeing it more than once, some even 3 or 4 times. Will watch it on HBO/MAX the day it comes out but then I'll go see it in the theater the next week as well. Love that it's doing so well. Huge Timothee fan. :)

by Anonymousreply 81October 6, 2021 3:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!