Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How much do you tip?

I always tip 20%. 30% if the service is really good. I have a waiter last night a 20% tip because his service was really lackluster. He got all upset. I thought 20% was standard

by Anonymousreply 124Last Thursday at 3:24 PM

up to 45% if I feel like it

by Anonymousreply 1Last Wednesday at 8:50 AM

A waiter complained about a 20% tip? What restaurant? I would've spoken to the manager or owner.

by Anonymousreply 2Last Wednesday at 8:52 AM

I like to tip enough to get the final payment up to a whole number. So sometimes that's 16.5%, sometimes it's 19%, some times it's 20.3%. It depends on the pre-tip amount.

by Anonymousreply 3Last Wednesday at 8:52 AM

I tip 15% standard. 20% is service is really good. 30% if the service is really good and the party is six people or more with separate checks requested.

I do not tip the restaurant if I get carry-out only such as at Pizza Hut.

by Anonymousreply 4Last Wednesday at 8:55 AM

A burger place @R2

by Anonymousreply 5Last Wednesday at 8:58 AM

20%. Though I don’t like it, it’s become a standard expectation since Covid. I wish they would just pay people a decent wage. I hate that their livelihood is dependent ton the whim of people. Gays are the most generous tippers - not sure what that says. Are we needy for approval - or more empathetic?

by Anonymousreply 6Last Wednesday at 8:58 AM

Probably a high percentage of us has slung hash at one time or another, R6.

by Anonymousreply 7Last Wednesday at 8:59 AM

r6 Hmm because most are single and don't have traditional large families like straight people which reduces the tip amount a lot ?

by Anonymousreply 8Last Wednesday at 9:00 AM

Twenty percent is the bare minimum any socially conscious person would tip more.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Wednesday at 9:03 AM

R6

More empathetic.....we know what it is to be hated and be under valued by no fault of our own.

by Anonymousreply 10Last Wednesday at 9:06 AM

15% is the accepted standard. And it's usually paid on the entire bill, which includes tax. With recent price gouging for restaurant meals, and, in my state, servers now earning $10/hr pre-tip, I don't feel bad about paying 15%.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Wednesday at 9:08 AM

It's so much easier in most European countries because it's added into the final total.

by Anonymousreply 12Last Wednesday at 9:13 AM

r11 You prolly get a lot of spit and God knows what else in your food. You deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 13Last Wednesday at 9:17 AM

R13 Why should it be more than10% ? You cannot say inflation, because the tip is percentage not tender amount, plus price gouging means higher percentage anyway. Ultimately, It is up to customer to decide, since tip is really optional.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Wednesday at 9:21 AM

When I was a kid ......my parents would leave...maybe...two bucks.....and that was for good service...no matter what the tab came too.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Wednesday at 9:22 AM

Socially conscious people tip appropriately or they stay at home or even even fast food.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Wednesday at 9:38 AM

Do you also tip in drive-throughs or when get something to go?

by Anonymousreply 17Last Wednesday at 9:41 AM

What about pizza deliveries?

by Anonymousreply 18Last Wednesday at 9:42 AM

It keeps going up 15% now 20%, where will it go next? 30 or 40? Most people's pay doesn't go up, why should servers? Are they better than everyone else?

How about I stay home and no one will get a penny.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Wednesday at 9:42 AM

R2 The waiter did not complain.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Wednesday at 9:44 AM

I tip deliveries @R18

by Anonymousreply 21Last Wednesday at 9:44 AM

No R16, Socially Conscious people knows this is a problem of income inequality. Why should you and I, common people, let Big Corporations like Cheesecake Factory get away with paying workers nothing? We are supposed to subsidize both Cheesecake Factory's tax deductions AND worker's pay? NO. It was 15% -20% before the pandemic, but now it is 20 -25%? At what point does it stop? 100%?

by Anonymousreply 22Last Wednesday at 9:45 AM

I've seen waiters post about receiving bad tips. If I had a waiter who took to Facebook, I would let him go immediately. A tip is never guaranteed. By taking the job, you accept that gamble.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Wednesday at 9:46 AM

Where does it stop? 30% or 40%? What about the rest of us that don't get to set our own pay rate? It should be a job like every other job and you should be paid accordingly with no tipping. How about I stay home and no one gets my money. The tipping thing is out of control big time in the US.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Wednesday at 9:48 AM

Nothing. People in my country earn a living wage.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Wednesday at 9:48 AM

Look at it, minimum wage has not been raised for over 20 years, but now, Corporate via Media mouthpiece demand 5% raise in tips every 2 years? WHAT? How about you raise the measly $2/hr the owners & Corporate get away with? Seriously it takes forever for them to be responsible. while they demand US to foot the bill bump every year.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Wednesday at 9:50 AM

Where does it stop? 30% or 40%? What about the rest of us that don't get to set our own pay rate? It should be a job like every other job and you should be paid accordingly with no tipping. How about I stay home and no one gets my money. The tipping thing is out of control big time in the US.

by Anonymousreply 27Last Wednesday at 9:53 AM

0.00%

by Anonymousreply 28Last Wednesday at 9:56 AM

Then we can talk about the minorities who consistently get tipped at low rates, and the older savers too get much less than young white girls.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Wednesday at 9:56 AM

In my state, the standard wage for waiters is $2.85/hour. I have no problem tipping at least 20%, more during the pandemic. And you're damned right I tip for delivery. You Princes of Parsimony have me SMDH. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 30Last Wednesday at 9:58 AM

Then we can talk about the minorities who consistently get tipped at low rates, and the older savers too get much less than young white girls.

by Anonymousreply 31Last Wednesday at 9:58 AM

by Anonymousreply 32Last Wednesday at 10:01 AM

I NEVER tip

because

I NEVER eat out.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Wednesday at 10:05 AM

Just the tip.

by Anonymousreply 34Last Wednesday at 10:07 AM

"I NEVER eat out"

That's why your mommy left your daddy.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Wednesday at 10:08 AM

The President or Governor who signs a law banning tipping in restaurants and hair salons will very popular.

by Anonymousreply 36Last Wednesday at 10:08 AM

I call bullshit. No waiter ever said anything negative about a 20% tip to a customer.

by Anonymousreply 37Last Wednesday at 10:09 AM

Depends. If it is under $20 I will tip at least $5. If it is more than 4 people I will tip more than 20%.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Wednesday at 10:10 AM

Eating out is OVERRATED.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Wednesday at 10:12 AM

r15 The two dollar tip your parents left in 1975 would be $9.90 today.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Wednesday at 10:12 AM

OP, how do you know the server was upset over the 20% tip?

by Anonymousreply 41Last Wednesday at 10:13 AM

R41 OP made that up, obviously

by Anonymousreply 42Last Wednesday at 10:23 AM

If the server queen got mad over 20%, Notify the manager .

by Anonymousreply 43Last Wednesday at 10:26 AM

But where does it stop?

by Anonymousreply 44Last Wednesday at 10:36 AM

Reading this thread as a European... I can't relate at all. Tipping is not a thing here.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Wednesday at 10:37 AM

I only tip high at places that have high volume, like a diner. I avoid fine dining because of its ridiculous inflated prices, and I don't care for the superficially nice servers who wouldn't give a thought to their patrons outside of being served, for that 20%+ tip, but that's me

by Anonymousreply 46Last Wednesday at 10:47 AM

[quote]Do you also tip in drive-throughs or when get something to go?

No, because you aren't expected to tip at such places.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Wednesday at 10:52 AM

[quote]20%. Though I don’t like it, it’s become a standard expectation since Covid.

20% was the standard in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 48Last Wednesday at 10:53 AM

[quote] Why should you and I, common people, let Big Corporations like Cheesecake Factory get away with paying workers nothing?

They are paid at least minimum wage. If the worker does not like it they can chose another vocation.

by Anonymousreply 49Last Wednesday at 10:54 AM

[quote]Look at it, minimum wage has not been raised for over 20 years

On a federal level, but in almost every place it has been raised locally.

by Anonymousreply 50Last Wednesday at 10:55 AM

[quote]Where does it stop? 30% or 40%? What about the rest of us that don't get to set our own pay rate? It should be a job like every other job and you should be paid accordingly with no tipping.

Who cares where it stops, that has nothing to do with "NOW." You do get to set your own pay rate. If you are not happy ask or a raise or seek another vocation with higher pay scales. It should be "no tipping" but it is not. Until it is, tip appropriately or stay at home.

by Anonymousreply 51Last Wednesday at 10:57 AM

Not this again…staff don’t get a living wage in the US so give them big tips. In more enlightened countries where staff don’t have to rely on the kindness of strangers to pay their rent, leave a small tip.

by Anonymousreply 52Last Wednesday at 10:58 AM

[quote]. I avoid fine dining because of its ridiculous inflated prices, and I don't care for the superficially nice servers who wouldn't give a thought to their patrons outside of being served, for that 20%+ tip, but that's me

Correct, if you don't want to pay high prices (or tip) then stay home. Why is this so hard?

by Anonymousreply 53Last Wednesday at 10:58 AM

20% pre-tax

by Anonymousreply 54Last Wednesday at 10:59 AM

Tipping is 15%. As inflation increases the price of a meal, the dollar value of that percentage will keep going up. That’s how a server gets an increase over time, not through an increase in the percentage.

by Anonymousreply 55Last Wednesday at 11:05 AM

It depends on how cute they are and how snug tight their pants are.

by Anonymousreply 56Last Wednesday at 11:05 AM

Minimum wage was increased in 2009.

Something I'm curious about is whether prices in restaurants have increased over time or are suppressed (by, for example, not paying workers a decent wage). If prices have gone up with the cost of living, then increasing the tipping percentage seems unnecessary.

Regardless, since the goalposts keep getting moved, it's unreasonable for servers to get upset over low tips from older customers. Current-day elderly came of age when 10 percent was generous. The middle-aged came of age when 15 percent was generous. I came of age when 20 percent was generous. If the next move is 25 percent, many people will miss that memo.

by Anonymousreply 57Last Wednesday at 11:05 AM

20%, unless the service is terrible. In which case, I leave 10%. I never leave nothing. But honestly, since Covid, I've been eating out far less. I've gotten a lot more used to cooking for myself.

by Anonymousreply 58Last Wednesday at 11:07 AM

20% is C 25% is B 30%+ is A

by Anonymousreply 59Last Wednesday at 11:13 AM

One nice benefit from the pandemic is that a lot of restaurants started adding carryout, when they didn’t have it before. You can get the same food without having to wait on a server to help you or bring you your check and you don’t have to pay a tip. So it’s another option in between dining at the restaurant and just staying home. Plus, with carryout, you avoid paying for delivery.

by Anonymousreply 60Last Wednesday at 11:13 AM

I don't like how, when ordering takeaway at a restaurant, they ask you to tip as you're paying. On the Square reader, for example. It's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 61Last Wednesday at 11:17 AM

I make an effort not to give men more but it baseline happens. A woman if she’s good will get tipped as if she’s a man. A bitch waitress (so stupid of them but it happens) may get 15% down to nothing. Nothing is rare, it’s if there’s a clear instance of attitude.

by Anonymousreply 62Last Wednesday at 11:17 AM

I am also puzzled as to how OP knew the server's reaction to the tip.

I've never had a server react one way or the other as 99% of the time I leave the tip on the credit card and it's not like they're pulling the credit card slip out of the little holder and examining it in front of me or that they even take it off the table until after we've left the restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Wednesday at 11:18 AM

R40

Yeah...I know....but they did it this way until their dying day.....I was out with my mother getting dinner at some place like Cracker Barrel....not my choice...hers......anyway..the check came and I got my tip calculator out to figure in the gratuity.....and she says..and I quote....'You're not tipping more than a dollar are you?' It was that generation that came out of the Depression I guess.

by Anonymousreply 64Last Wednesday at 11:22 AM

I tip fucking nothing, I have a lawyer on hold to deal with any greedy rat that tries to impose their little money grifts onto me, I've done it berofe and I will do it again, I dont care you're getting paid peanuts its not my fucking problem, its your employers.

Fucking poor people honestly, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Wednesday at 11:31 AM

It makes me crazy that the local coffee shop now adds 15% automatically and makes you say “no tip” - as if it’s expected. I’ve started going to Starbucks instead to avoid the guilt. Tipping is out of control.

by Anonymousreply 66Last Wednesday at 11:36 AM

My 86-year old dad leaves a dollar and whatever change he has in his pocket, regardless of the amount of the bill. I always have to go back and throw in five bucks or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 67Last Wednesday at 11:46 AM

I don't go to places where tipping is common/expected. I even buzz cut my own hair. I never take taxis or Ubers.

by Anonymousreply 68Last Wednesday at 11:49 AM

[quote]It keeps going up 15% now 20%, where will it go next? 30 or 40?

This is why we need to raise the minimum wage and end MW exemptions for tipped work like waiting tables.

I wonder how many of the posters complaining about tipping actually favor raising the minimum wage.

by Anonymousreply 69Last Wednesday at 11:54 AM

My parents grew up during the depression and guess what? They both tipped the right amount when the bill came. They taught their kids to do this, too, and explained that the servers depended on tips to make a living.

Lousy tippers are nothing but classless cheapskates. There is absolutely nothing more to it than that.

by Anonymousreply 70Last Wednesday at 11:56 AM

[quote] Reading this thread as a European... I can't relate at all. Tipping is not a thing here.

But...it is. Not 20% as standard, but I'm European, and it would feel very rude to me to leave no tip at all.

by Anonymousreply 71Last Wednesday at 12:00 PM

Europe.

Where customs vary from country to country.

Imagine.

by Anonymousreply 72Last Wednesday at 12:03 PM

R71 = Euro trying to copy the worst aspects of American culture

by Anonymousreply 73Last Wednesday at 12:04 PM

r72

Well, maybe r45 should have identified his specific country rather than implying it's a general European thing then, you smug cunt.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Wednesday at 12:08 PM

I tip $1.00

by Anonymousreply 75Last Wednesday at 12:12 PM

Tipping is ridiculous and thrives by no one knowing exactly what to tip. People think the waiter will dislike them if they don't tip enough. Waiters are dependent on tips but favored waiters tend to get the best times for bigger tips--so way too much uncertainty for everyone.

Pay a living wage, raise food prices a little to compensate--AND ALL THIS NONSENSE GOES AWAY

by Anonymousreply 76Last Wednesday at 12:14 PM

There is even a tip jar at the cashier at my Chipotle . I’m sorry but I’m not tipping for standing in line. I agree that the wages are ridiculous and assuming taxes on uncertain tips is even more ridiculous. But coming out of covid lockdown I’ve been over generous with tipping, often leaving $100 bills on $50 tabs. That, however, is coming to an end. Returning to 20% as a standard. Sidebar - my mom had Botox and was pissed that after paying $900, there was a tip line on the bill as the doctor was expecting a tip. She didn’t leave one but said they were surprised she didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 77Last Wednesday at 12:19 PM

Ive been generous with tipping since COVID, which only means I"ve been tipping when picking up orders

by Anonymousreply 78Last Wednesday at 12:24 PM

Yes, Z-W R12, and health insurance and other social benefits are included in the bill total too. But we live in the U.S., and we must work with what we have.

by Anonymousreply 79Last Wednesday at 12:27 PM

In most of the USA 15% is still standard, but in very large cities (particularly NYC) 20% is expected.

Anyone who says you should routinely give more than that is ridiculous and should be ignored.

by Anonymousreply 80Last Wednesday at 12:27 PM

R77 was the Botox done at a doctors office or spa? I could see at a spa expecting tips but if it was a doctors office I would be shocked and maybe pissed off enough to report it.

by Anonymousreply 81Last Wednesday at 12:36 PM

[quote] I tip $1.00

Dad, I didn't know you were on DL!

by Anonymousreply 82Last Wednesday at 12:38 PM

Tip PRE tax. A lot of places are doing the suggested on top of tax amount. That’s bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Wednesday at 12:44 PM

I tip 20% on the whol bill but I know many people who do NOT tip on the alcohol portion of the bill. I'm too lazy to do the math but when I'm drinking at the bar, I don't tip much. Usually a buck or two.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Wednesday at 12:44 PM

Some people like having servants wait on them, but I would have no problem writing down my order myself, getting my own water, bringing my food to the table and clearing my table when I’m done. It would be nice to have that option (with a lower price).

by Anonymousreply 85Last Wednesday at 12:45 PM

[quote] Tip PRE tax. A lot of places are doing the suggested on top of tax amount. That’s bullshit.

So on a $100 bill with 18% tax you save a whopping $3.60.

SMH

by Anonymousreply 86Last Wednesday at 12:49 PM

Question about tipping lawn service: I just started using a landscaper this year and it’s a crew of four men. Not sure if it’s the same four each time. Am I supposed to tip each one towards the end of the season? Send a check to the business owner at Christmas to distribute to the crew?

BTW, best money I ever spent. I did all of my own yard work on 2.5 acres for over 10 years. This year I decided to support the economy and pay someone else to do it.

by Anonymousreply 87Last Wednesday at 12:56 PM

R86 = judgmental cunt

by Anonymousreply 88Last Wednesday at 12:56 PM

I tip 20% on the total bio, so it probably ends up closer to 22%.

by Anonymousreply 89Last Wednesday at 1:01 PM

R73 Same here in Norway. We don't tip here either.

by Anonymousreply 90Last Wednesday at 1:13 PM

Most waitstaff don't work a 40 hour work week. The restaurants save by not giving benefits to its employees. If they received minimum wage the restaurant would have to increase their hours or they would have to get a second job.

by Anonymousreply 91Last Wednesday at 1:39 PM

I'm not required to pay the waitstaff enough to make up for the difference between a part time and full time job, R91. That's a worthless rationale.

by Anonymousreply 92Last Wednesday at 2:49 PM

$1 no matter the bill

by Anonymousreply 93Last Wednesday at 2:50 PM

I didn't say you were R92. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I was just pointing out that most waitstaff jobs are not full-time.

by Anonymousreply 94Last Wednesday at 3:28 PM

R77) it was a spa, not an office. What does one tip a doc?

by Anonymousreply 95Last Wednesday at 6:26 PM

There’s an elderly couple who have a Japanese take out booth. They never slowed down during covid, in fact were probably busier than ever because most other places were shut down. I guess they got used to the high tips, because now their money machine tip suggestions start at 20% on up to 40. For taking your call and handing you a bag. They raised their prices too. I don’t mind 20% for table service, and gave more during covid but wait staff make a decent wage here and tip suggestions are getting out of line.

by Anonymousreply 96Last Wednesday at 7:26 PM

[quote] BTW, best money I ever spent. I did all of my own yard work on 2.5 acres for over 10 years. This year I decided to support the economy and pay someone else to do it.

I've decided to do the same thing. I'm sick of gardening and bugs. When's the best time to hire such a business--fall? spring?

by Anonymousreply 97Last Thursday at 6:01 AM

Before this thread turns into a blood bath of guns and switchblades...

20% base. 25% for excellent service. Moving out now before the fighting starts.

by Anonymousreply 98Last Thursday at 6:05 AM

"There is even a tip jar at the cashier at my Chipotle . I’m sorry but I’m not tipping for standing in line."

I do not tip at fast food or pizza carry-out places.

If I have food deliver, I will tip the driver $2.00-$3.00.

by Anonymousreply 99Last Thursday at 6:34 AM

Americans have too much fucking money. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 100Last Thursday at 6:37 AM

Tipping sucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101Last Thursday at 6:42 AM

Origins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102Last Thursday at 6:45 AM

Tipping is racist. Don't tip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103Last Thursday at 6:46 AM

I dont feel the need to eat out anymore since the pandemic started. I would really prefer that they put the service charge in the bill like how the rest of the world does it. It would really be nice if I can order through a tablet or something, I dont need to see another human face and need to chitchat with them. People who need somebody to explain the menu to them are just dumb. I only need servers to bring the food to my table, but a robot can do that. Yeah I am a shut in.

by Anonymousreply 104Last Thursday at 6:54 AM

[quote]It's #EqualPayDay2021 so let's unpack

I'd rather tip than "unpack," r103.

by Anonymousreply 105Last Thursday at 7:17 AM

I'm American but have lived in Europe since 2006. One of things that I love about living here is not having to worry about adding taxes or tips to my bill. The final price for a 497€ TV is 497€. Not a cent more. So many other benefits including healthcare, vacation days, liveable wages, lower crime, etc., I may never go back. Nevertheless, I will keep my American citizenship in case of a war. We have lots of expensive bombs in the US. A bunch of other issues but we do bombs well.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Thursday at 7:18 AM

American here. I was a waiter in the summer when I was in college in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Back then, 15% was pretty standard. I hated larger groups of adult straight couples. They were the worst tippers. It would take them forever to figure out how to split up the bill (we would only do one check for parties of 6 or more). A couple times they left nothing so I caught them before they'd left. The first time, that group claimed that they assumed someone else had covered the tip. Yeah right. Then they only gave me 10% of the bill BEFORE taxes. Pretty much the same thing happened the second time and when one of them handed me the tip, I asked if my service was subpar. They all said no, it was great. I said 15% tip is industry standard, so I just wondered since they only tipped around 10%. The women sheepishly fished in their purses and gave me enough where I was close to 20%. They knew damn well they had undertipped and just hoped to get away with it.

Surprisingly the biggest tips I got percentage-wise was when I worked breakfast. A $10-$15 breakfast would usually get me a $5 tip.

By the mid-90s, 20% at good restaurants was the new 15%. I think it still is. I'll tip 20% for standard service. I'll go up to 25-30% for excellent service, but I rarely get that anymore. Most servers today are either competent but indifferent or very friendly but not the best at waiting tables.

by Anonymousreply 107Last Thursday at 7:21 AM

The rule used to be that you tipped a minimum of 15% unless the person waiting on you did something so outrageous that it was a let me talk to the manager situation. Tipping more was a way of showing your appreciation for a job well done (thus the term "gratuity") or to show off your own generosity or wealth.

You don't know that the person you're serving makes more money than you do. They may have scraped together enough to treat themselves to that meal and they have as much right to it as anybody else. Let the poor tip what they can and let the rich bastards make up the difference.

by Anonymousreply 108Last Thursday at 7:41 AM

I tip 20% no matter what. 30 if it is outstanding. I hate tipping. Why should I make up for the employer's lack of payroll? I would rather pay a little more for a meal than pay an extra 20%. The waiter or waitress is not an independent contractor. They work for the restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 109Last Thursday at 7:45 AM

This story is not one-sided. Before you waste any more Kleenex on the servers and their anemic percentages, consider that some in upper echelon restaurants, or even intermediate restaurants, and bartenders in prime nightlife are making quite a bit more than the people they’re serving. I know a server in a renowned NYC steak house that clears $1500 a week. (And the ink on his green card is barely dry!). Bartenders in a popular seasonal resort could clear anywhere from $100,000-120,000 between Memorial Day and Labor Day. A Pride weekend or a New Year’s weekend in a top club could yield ten grand to some bartenders.

The ones most assuredly getting screwed most, if not all, of the time are the consumers who are paying dearly for small portions, frozen, thawed out, and re-microwaved product, short order cooks masquerading as executive chefs,, and perfunctory service. Tips should always be a choice. An acknowledgment of service that goes above and beyond the standard. Not a mandate.

Not every doctor or lawyer is making seven digits. Not every server or bartender is starving.

by Anonymousreply 110Last Thursday at 8:45 AM

R106 here

And the service is genuinely amazing here. Not once have I ever received a bill without asking for it in 15 years! I absolutely hate when a server in the US puts my bill on the table and says "you can pay for it whenever you are ready". Moreover, when you book a table here, you have it for the entire night. For sure not the case at some so called fine dining restaurants in the US. Who has a proper dinner in 1.5 hrs? We stay for 3-5 hrs for all meals. Also, the main dish never arrives before the first plates are cleared. How many times have I received my main dish before I finished my appetizer in a US restaurant ? Too many to count. And they even turned out some of the lights at the restaurant in the US before we left. Who does that? When my European family travels to the US now, we only order one service at a time or we specifically tell the server to bring our main dish later after we have finished our first dish.

by Anonymousreply 111Last Thursday at 10:54 AM

I have once tipped 1 cent because the service was utterly atrocious--and I wrote it on the back of the bill too.

by Anonymousreply 112Last Thursday at 11:16 AM

R112 is so brave...and fierce!

by Anonymousreply 113Last Thursday at 11:23 AM

Once had management inform me the tip we left was not enough for the waitress to break even for the night. We were at a bar for trivia night and there were multiple payers. I apologized and gave more money. Afterwards, we added up all the payments and our original payment was more than enough. Either someone in our group lied or the waitress was bad at math. In any case, my tip was larger than my portion of the bill. I was surprised management stepped in. I understand if we had not left a tip at all, but to go up to a customer and tell it wasn't enough?

by Anonymousreply 114Last Thursday at 11:30 AM

Restaurants have started adding a 10% covid/kitchen support charge. That is ridiculous to me.

by Anonymousreply 115Last Thursday at 11:33 AM

In LA there's the healthcare charge. Seems like the restaurant business model only works to sustain the most barebones operation. Or the owners are making out like bandits and not bothered to budget for any decent compensation for the employees.

I tip because I know waitstaff do not make livable wages but I don't support tipping culture. Why do we in the US make things so complicated? When I travel overseas, I pay the bill, usually by rounding up. Done. I suspect not all waitstaff want tipping to end though? Top end restaurant staff make much more from tips than they would from an hourly wage. A friend was making over $150 a night in NYC nearly 20 years ago. A student working part-time in the evenings. I doubt the restaurant would have paid him $30-35 per hour for the evening.

by Anonymousreply 116Last Thursday at 11:42 AM

R2 = Karen

by Anonymousreply 117Last Thursday at 12:04 PM

generally 0,50 $. if I feel generous, 1$

by Anonymousreply 118Last Thursday at 12:05 PM

25% if they went out if their way, which is rare. Standard would be 18 - 20% especially as I go to the same places where being off-season they're not exactly raking it in. 15% would be for so so service, less would be rare (as in I had to literally chase them down). Over 25% is just plain showing off.

by Anonymousreply 119Last Thursday at 12:18 PM

[quote] A friend was making over $150 a night in NYC nearly 20 years ago. A student working part-time in the evenings. I doubt the restaurant would have paid him $30-35 per hour for the evening.

And yet restaurants in Europe pay everyone a living wage. Restaurants in many places in the US, including CA, pay at least $15 bucks an hour.

No one is going out of business because of it.

by Anonymousreply 120Last Thursday at 12:55 PM

My husband left a twenty for two cappys the other rainy day. The place was empty. Can't help lovin' that dope.

by Anonymousreply 121Last Thursday at 1:11 PM

R121 he's currently quite deep in the waiter's hole, you dummy

by Anonymousreply 122Last Thursday at 1:30 PM

We always tip at least 80% after we've enjoyed the leche of uncut Hungarian sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 123Last Thursday at 3:15 PM

As my mother used to say, if you can't afford to eat out then stay at home. I can understand getting ticked off about the tip jar at the dry cleaners or at Baja Fresh. But if you going out to a nice restaurant, you should be able to afford at least a 20% tip.

by Anonymousreply 124Last Thursday at 3:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!