Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘The Last Duel’ Trailer Has Matt Damon, Ben Affleck And Searing Medieval Drama

The movie, which also stars Adam Driver and is due out Oct. 15, is based on a real-life case that took place in 14th-century France.

“Good Will Hunting” duo Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are gearing up for their first joint return to the big screen in 24 years.

20th Century Studios on Tuesday unveiled the trailer for “The Last Duel,” which hits theaters this fall. Directed by Ridley Scott, the period drama is based on the last officially recognized judicial duel fought in France, circa 1386. It follows knight Jean de Carrouges (played by Damon), who accuses his friend and squire, Jacques LeGris (Adam Driver), of raping his wife, Marguerite de Carrouges (Jodie Comer).

To settle the dispute, King Charles VI (Affleck) orders the two men to a duel, with the one left alive being declared the winner as a sign of God’s will.

The film, due out Oct. 15, is based on Eric Jager’s 2004 book, “The Last Duel: A True Story of Trial by Combat in Medieval France.” Damon and Affleck co-wrote the screenplay ― their first such collaboration since 1997’s “Good Will Hunting,” which won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay ― in collaboration with Nicole Holofcener.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2021 2:55 PM

I would watch if Ben and Matt take turns ugly fucking Adam driver and giving his fug mug multiple facials. otherwise, hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2021 3:37 PM

Judging from the trailer I feel like Jodie Comer is going to be wasted in this.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 3:41 PM

Sounds like the 1977 Ridley Scott movie called "The Duellists", which starred Keith Carradine, Harvey Keitel, and Albert Finney. That movie was beautiful and exciting.

The new film sounds like shit.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 3:50 PM

"The Duellists" was Ridley's first feature film.

Maybe he thinks this one will be his last.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 4:04 PM

Affleck and Damon cannot play anything other than modern Americans from the Boston area. Anything else is beyond their range, certainly any period work.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 4:06 PM

This movie might have been interesting had they cast relative unknowns. I am supposed to suspend disbelief with Ben and Matt and Driver in these roles? The trailer is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 4:08 PM

It's impossible to see any of these 'A-List' actors as anything but themselves. So naturally period costumes and wigs make it all resemble an overlong SNL skit.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 4:23 PM

Wrong actors, right period.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 4:39 PM

I’ll see it for Jodie Comer who I love.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2021 4:44 PM

It looks so heavy-handed, the leads are ugly( Adam Driver really? Uglied- Up Damon Really? Why would I blow $20 on that hatchet face?.) No wonder Damin's girl laugh at his movie.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 4:50 PM

Matt Damon sounded surprisingly convincing in the 3 seconds they showed of his performance. So did Jodie Comer. Not so sure about Driver though. Seemed a bit campy. The music and dark mood were very well done. Loved the snow. This looks really depressing. I guess it might make us say: "Well at least we don't live in Medieval times. Things could be worse."

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 4:52 PM

"Monty Python's #Metoo"

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 5:06 PM

Matt is turning into Matt Gaetz in OP's pic. Ew.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2021 5:25 PM

Jesus even reading about this film almost put me to sleep. Damon and Affleck are not young anymore and their best days are behind them. Driver can deal with one flop since he’s on a roll lately.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2021 5:40 PM

Adam driver has to be one of the most accomplished actors of his generation in terms of who he’s worked with as directors. He’s got a who’s who of directors under his belt: Spielberg, Scott, Eastwood, Scorsese, baumbach, spike lee. I can’t think of many actors who have worked with so many prominent directors in such a short space of time.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2021 5:42 PM

Damon and Affleck are both reprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2021 5:51 PM

The whitewashing of 14th Century France and lack of diversity is appalling!

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2021 5:55 PM

Are Matt and Ben still fucking?

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2021 2:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!