Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever disliked a celebrity because of their fans?

Who was it and what did the fans do to make you feel that way?

by Anonymousreply 97July 25, 2021 8:39 AM

Robert Pattinson

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2021 2:29 AM

Um, DJT.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 2:30 AM

Bjork

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 2:32 AM

Cher

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 2:32 AM

Timothee Chalamet

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 2:35 AM

RPATTZ

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 2:39 AM

Kamala Harris. Hillary Clinton. Jessic Lange. Any of the diva deities DL get irrational about. Nothing makes me want to puke more than when some suck up invokes the reverential "Miss" (like Miss Crawdord, Miss Lange.) It just reeks of caftans and lo self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 2:39 AM

Michael Jackson. I mean there's reason enough to hate him as it is, but his fans make me hate him even more

Buffy the Vampire fans and people who fantard over Joss Whedon shows are also annoying as fuck

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 2:43 AM

Not Janet Jackson!

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2021 2:49 AM

Britney

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 2:56 AM

Inspired by other threads, I’ll say Misha Collins and Jensen Ackles and their horrible, nasty, delusional fans.

I stopped watching the show, mostly because it sucked after season 5, but also because the SPN fandom is a terrible.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 3:02 AM

Streisand

Callas

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 3:13 AM

Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2021 3:20 AM

Lady Gaga fans, I mean monsters.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2021 3:27 AM

I actually enjoy Jane Fonda, particularly as a frank and opinionated old lady with (at last!) a sense of humor about herself.

But she has a number of truly unhinged fans here on DL and IRL: fans who cannot distinguish her really good films (a small handful, frankly) from her crap films (everything else), and who cannot accept that the lady has made some egregious errors in judgement over the years: about men, about politics, about her own significance in the scheme of things. There have been a number of DL threads about her over the years, and they often get insane.

Jane can admit her failings. Why can't you?

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2021 3:28 AM

Madonna

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2021 3:29 AM

Pete Bootychick

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2021 3:32 AM

The Rocco Ritchie loon on here

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2021 3:38 AM

Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2021 3:43 AM

^ The Bernie Bros for sure

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2021 3:43 AM

The Beyhive

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2021 3:46 AM

Bob Dylan

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2021 3:48 AM

I think we all know who’s been hyped by an overzealous media and culture.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2021 4:00 AM

On the old IMDB message boards I once got attacked for saying Neil Patrick Harris was gay and it was an open secret in NYC that he was with David Burtka.

Lots of teen girls (it seemed like) denounced me.

I also got in a twitter war with Holland Taylor once (so odd, she just kept responding.) I got mad and said something about her being a closet case. Her fans said I'd committed hate speech by calling her gay.

Was right both times of course.

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2021 4:32 AM

Jimmy Buffett

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2021 5:00 AM

DJT

His fans are Fascists

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2021 5:05 AM

Beyoncé. I’m just not into her music, but her fans are so obnoxious that they make me dislike her.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2021 5:08 AM

Beyonce and Taylor Swift own this thread.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2021 5:08 AM

Prince -- mostly because of my sister, lol.

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2021 5:14 AM

Britney Spears

Johnny Depp

Michael Jackson

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2021 5:34 AM

Michael Jackson. I hated him because he was a pedo but also because his fans seem to mostly be mental cases.

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2021 5:49 AM

Harry and Meghan and their fans. They call themselves "sugars."

by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2021 6:16 AM

The Drake and Josh loon on here!

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2021 6:23 AM

Jeremy Corbyn

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2021 6:26 AM

Kurt Cobain, and Tupac everyone I’ve met who were into them were humourless freaks.

by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2021 6:27 AM

Taylor Swift

by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2021 6:35 AM

Beyonce.

If I were into KPop at all, I would probably hate all KPop celebrities as their fans are even worse than the Beyhive.

by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2021 6:43 AM

Beyonce and her fanbase. I actually enjoy a fair amount of her music, and she does put on a great show (I've seen her 3 times) but her fanbase's need to crown her the greatest artist to ever live is ludicrous and turned me off from being a bigger fan.

by Anonymousreply 38July 21, 2021 6:53 AM

Taylor Swift. But I also disliked her to begin with 😄

by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2021 7:11 AM

Kanye. I don’t care for him, but his fans all act like he is a genius on the same level as Mozart.

by Anonymousreply 40July 21, 2021 7:14 AM

Lady Gaga. Hands down. I mean, she's already one of the absolute WORST things to ever happen to pop music and entertainment in general, but her cult-like fanbase takes the cake. The most delusional, ignorant, nasty group of dumb fucking twinks and ridiculous 20/30/40 year old man-children to ever exist.

The 'Beyhive' and the Taylor Swift fans come in a close second.

by Anonymousreply 41July 21, 2021 10:03 AM

I agree with Bjork. I loved her to death in The Sugarcubes in the late 80’s and when she started a solo career in the 90’s I was thrilled. At some point though, her massive success whipped up too much mindless fainting praise. I got tired of dim-witted art fags saying she was, “The coolest chick on the planet.” Girl, she’s not all that!

by Anonymousreply 42July 21, 2021 11:34 AM

Selena Gomez

Dylan O'Brien

Taylor Swift

by Anonymousreply 43July 21, 2021 3:19 PM

R29 is this a callout lmao? I’m one of those Prince girls. I’m a poster on the .org and everything.

I’m also a lesbian, so ofc Wendy & Lisa stan, and a former flautist, so big into Eric Leeds too. Tbh I feel like a suprisingly large proportion of Prince superfans are lesbians, due to mutual appreciation—he saw and loved us, and we saw and loved him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 21, 2021 3:29 PM

Stans will passionately argue that it's impossible for them to make other people dislike their hero(ine), but it really is true, as the posts above attest, they can annoy anyone out of liking a performer with their blind and loud obsessions.

Identifying so strongly with a performer means that when they champion their favorite performer vociferously, they're really championing an idealized version of themselves. So if someone else says, "I don't like Beyoncé's music [or Barbra's, or whoever's]," in response, they hear it as "I don't like this idealized version of you." They take it personally and get upset and feel they have to defend this idealized version of themselves. But if you say nothing, they take it as your silent agreement with them, and they will keep blathering on about how wonderful Beyonce [or Barbra, or whoever] is.

by Anonymousreply 45July 21, 2021 3:33 PM

We have codified this into English Premier League football fandom. If you like a certain team, the you have to hate a certain other rival team and its players by default, no matter how good the rivals are or how amazing they might be to watch. It’s just an unwritten rule and norm.

This can cause some confusion and problems if you end up liking a player from a rival team for their performances in international games or for a different team from earlier/later in their career or for their punditry/coaching when they retire etc. For instance, Steven Gerrard became instantly more tolerable and admirable to me when he retired and starting coaching (Rangers), than when he was playing.

Like I have to keep my appreciation for Jack Grealish a secret from my West Bromwich Albion supporting family members on pain of expulsion. I can’t explain to them that I just like laughing at Jack’s stupid himbo press statements too much to stop, and that it boosts my serotonin looking at his pretty hair. On the other hand, I will never join the active Grealish fandom off-anon, either. That fan army is full of abused stalker women craving the most toxic dick, and it’s so fucking sad—Jack is a brittle showpony on pitch, and a diseased whore off pitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 21, 2021 3:43 PM

I came to hate anyone from Q u e e r A s F o l k because of all the fat fraus who were obsessed and stalking them, and clogging up every message board with their delusion, including this one.

by Anonymousreply 47July 21, 2021 3:43 PM

All the time. I remember liking Miles Heizer and Brandon Flynn a lot, but the [bold]women[/bold] that invade these forums take over the threads and ruin the fandom. Ironically, many of those women are very young and [bold]homophobic[/bold].

I mean what's that all about? How can you come to gay men's forum and spew your incel views? Ughh punch and delete gay.

by Anonymousreply 48July 21, 2021 3:53 PM

Timothee Chalamet.

by Anonymousreply 49July 21, 2021 4:03 PM

The Taylor Swift fanbase online is notorious for harassing people. About three years ago a former co-worker retweeted a professor friend of hers who had mentioned Swift in an essay that she published online, it was a benign mention, something about album sales I believe, and the Swifties ganged up on her and spent days threatening to kill her. Absolutely no reason for it. I've never seen anything else like it.

by Anonymousreply 50July 21, 2021 4:04 PM

Janbot and Janet Fucking Jackson obviously.

by Anonymousreply 51July 21, 2021 4:20 PM

Pretty much every celebrity has a disgusting fan base, though of course some veer off into truly looney toons territory. I learned a long time ago, do not read their IG comments. As for gay centric stuff, god forbid you not worship Lady Gaga, American Horror Story, or give a shit about Britney

by Anonymousreply 52July 21, 2021 4:24 PM

Back in the 1990s the guy I was dating had a website (this was before blogs) with a humorous page of fake quotes, including the Mariah Carey "all those flies and death and stuff" quote. Some aggrieved fan from Norway who had a Mariah fan newsletter told people to contact him and tell him they'd kill him if he didn't take the quote down. A few hundred did just that. Because these emails were being sent to my boyfriend's university account, the university stepped in and contacted authorities in Norway. It was a huge headache. I don't hold it against Mariah of course but I have not been a fan since.

by Anonymousreply 53July 21, 2021 4:42 PM

The fakest rudest and most superficial bitch I knew in College was a plump little Polish Fraulein obsessed with Katy Perry, Disneyana, and the tv shows GLEE & MERLIN (BBC).

She had what must have been nearly every Disney movie on Blu-Ray (often the Polish versions) alphabetised on a huge shelf in her chintzy kiddie bedroom, along with plushies and other memorabilia. She blew half her student loan to go to Disney Orlando (we live in England, it costs a lot to get to America and back), and would use stationary from the Disney Store at College. She also had a fanblog for those gay characters from GLEE (I never watched it, I don’t know their names), of which she was proud because apparently it was quite a big deal in fannish circles. She tried to visit the sets of MERLIN, and went to those Comicon-type meet-and-greet fan events to see the actors speak and ask them questions (we’re in England, so that’s easier). MERLIN was the only interest of hers I could muster the remotest flurry of interest in, as I’m a Pagan interested in Arthurian lore, but I’m just not a fan of the show as to me it’s like a boring silly contempo kids’ drama; give me CAMELOT & EXCALIBUR anyday.

As to how we met( she befriended me in compulsory first-year Literature classes, and me being an introvert away from home and trying to connect with new people, I let her into my life and gave her a chance. Big mistake. Not only was she into the worst pop-cultural phenomenons imaginable as I said, she was also extremely self-centred, a shallow thinker, and a mean gossip—desperate to be a popular trendy girl but clearly destined to be a needy follower her whole life. The type who pretends to be sexually-liberal and reads culty high-fashion mags and IGs her entire life as if it’s SATC, but in actual fact is the type to cry at home nights watching sitcoms or cartoon movies eating ice-cream in footie pajamas. She spent all the coffee afternoons and wine evenings we had talking only about herself and her banal boilerplate invented-bisexual problems (she was clearly a straight who just wanted to be admired by other women) at boring length, then would ditch me the minute someone with more clout or social status came by. Horrible young woman.

As for the fandom, c.2013 she held a house party/BBQ for her 22nd at her Mom’s place, and dressed up as ‘California Girls’ Katy Perry for karaoke entertainment. I shit you nothing. She had the blue wig and everything. Only on arrival at said party did I find out this was her plan; in response I stole a bottle of knockoff Jaeger from the temporary bar set-up, quietly called an Uber from the bathroom, and told her I was feeling really sick so I could book it home before the performance began. It was the for the best—had I stayed, I would have had to get drunk enough to cope, which would have resulted in my making cruel comments or shithousing her from across her mother’s living room.

We rarely spoke after that thwarted birthday incident, just occasional texts until we mutually ghosted (idk why the fuck she ghosted me—guess because I wouldn’t indulge her childishness), and then I switched University course for final year in any event, so we never saw each other again. All’s well, eh?

She did put me off making new friends for about five years after that, though, so I wouldn’t say it didn’t have any ill effects. Is there anybody left out there in need of pals who isn’t a self-obsessed infantile geek?

by Anonymousreply 54July 21, 2021 7:20 PM

Gee, R54, way to shake it off.

by Anonymousreply 55July 21, 2021 7:29 PM

The queens who are obsessed with Queen Elizabeth and BRF

by Anonymousreply 56July 21, 2021 7:36 PM

R55 yeah, fair enough. I’m the first to admit I’m not sociable or socially-adept, and find it hard to cope with other people’s shit, though experience has made me wiser. The shyness and sensitivity makes me introverted, I guess, then add nihilism of a bad history on top. I have had therapy since, so.

OP wanted a story about a crazy offputting fanperson, so I gave her my worst one. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 57July 21, 2021 7:37 PM

Elon Musk's fanboys

by Anonymousreply 58July 21, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote]Have you ever disliked a celebrity because of their (sic) fans?

No. The person was barely a "celebrity" and has no fans, that I've heard of.

by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2021 7:41 PM

They seem to have faded away, but Jeremy Brett had an awful cabal of fangirls when he was playing Sherlock Holmes. If you said he was gay or bi, they'd cut you. One of the worst (or at least the most homophobic and delusional) internet fandoms I've ever encountered

Michael Jackson fans attack his victims. They're horrid

Kevin Spacey fans used to insist that he was straight...now that he's out they just attack Anthony Rapp and his other victims

by Anonymousreply 60July 21, 2021 7:46 PM

I find Anthony Rapp a rather limited act in film, but he was wonderful in the original stage production of RENT (as was the entire cast).

I've been horrified to read some of the shit on DL lobbed at Rapp in recent years. He was a 14-year-old boy when Kevin Spacey made the moves on him (Spacey was 26 at the time) who looked even younger.

You're entitled to dislike him or even question his story or his motives. But there's no justification for an adult male approaching a child sexually. Not ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 21, 2021 7:56 PM

Jesus Christ and the Prophet Mohammad

by Anonymousreply 62July 21, 2021 7:58 PM

Lady Gaga. The bitch was using her die-hard fans as her personal piggy bank besides using them as her attack dogs. I still dislike Gaga hugely for both the Little Monsters and her despicable behavior with them. I do appreciate her in many other ways, though.

by Anonymousreply 63July 21, 2021 7:59 PM

A picture is worth 1000 words

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 21, 2021 8:10 PM

R63 I saw Gaga when she was just taking off, like 2008. I paid $20 for the concert ticket. It was a great show and I was very close, but FUCK the Crazy Queens paying $500 to breathe her air

by Anonymousreply 65July 21, 2021 8:13 PM

R64 hahahahaha OMG I forgot about the Nick Carter fan. What a saga that was.

by Anonymousreply 66July 21, 2021 8:16 PM

I admit, all the frauen I work with going on and on about OUTLANDER have made me never want to watch it, or read any of the 10,000 threads here about Sam whatshisname. The only scene I've ever seen is the one where Tobias Menzies rapes him.

by Anonymousreply 67July 21, 2021 9:44 PM

A lot of people:

Elon Musk, Eminem, Britney, Beyoncé, The 1975, BTS, Marvel comics (not a celebrity but the fans are annoying) etc. It's one thing if these fans are hormonal teenagers but when it's grown adults then it's creepy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 68July 21, 2021 10:02 PM

R68 my younger sister is a casual Matt Healy fan, but thankfully not a stan.

There aren’t many current popstars worse to be a fan of—he’s a shifty, greasy, pretentious little gobshite Toryboy who funds his hipster-snob lifestyle by ripping off real artists and selling his shit music to little girls, gaybaiting, and pretending his isn’t a massive beneficiary of nepotism. Can’t abide the man.

by Anonymousreply 69July 21, 2021 10:07 PM

R66 not the deranged Nick fan. I know one of the fraus in the photo. Mid 30s, single, no real job, just BSB 24/7

by Anonymousreply 70July 21, 2021 10:17 PM

Britney Spears

Michael Jackson

Lady Gaga

Lindsey Buckingham

Beyoncé

Marvel Cinematic Universe

ALL if their fans are delusional and demented.

by Anonymousreply 71July 21, 2021 10:23 PM

Oh, R54, now I just want to give you a hug. You're OK.

by Anonymousreply 72July 22, 2021 12:14 AM

[quote]He was a 14-year-old boy when Kevin Spacey made the moves on him (Spacey was 26 at the time) who looked even younger.

At no point did Kevin Spacey look younger than Anthony Rapp. Jeez. You publicists.

by Anonymousreply 73July 22, 2021 12:16 AM

TORI AMOS.

by Anonymousreply 74July 22, 2021 12:20 AM

Mother

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 22, 2021 12:52 AM

Markle

by Anonymousreply 76July 22, 2021 1:29 AM

DLers who slammed Anthony Rapp at the time he called out Spacey was just disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 77July 22, 2021 3:44 AM

R64 who is she?

by Anonymousreply 78July 22, 2021 6:37 AM

The English football team.

by Anonymousreply 79July 22, 2021 6:50 AM

R79 needs to be viciously slapped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 22, 2021 9:32 AM

I briefly moderated a Sherlock Holmes fanboard r60, the women who got angry at mentions of him being bi sometimes even got violent about it and would send all sorts of threats, legal and otherwise. It was insane.

by Anonymousreply 81July 22, 2021 10:15 AM

^ I can believe it.

by Anonymousreply 82July 22, 2021 3:13 PM

BRF

by Anonymousreply 83July 23, 2021 4:30 AM

[quote] BRF

I think Americans (read young girls and bored old ladies) are more obsessed with them than actual British people.

by Anonymousreply 84July 23, 2021 5:04 AM

[quote] DLers who slammed Anthony Rapp at the time he called out Spacey was just disgusting.

Didn't Rapp claim Spacey only lay on top of him briefly, and there wasn't any real sexual assaulting happening? Sure I wouldn't go lay on top of a 14 year old but Rapp made it sound like he was practically raped which to my knowledge wasn't the case in any way. Someone said it was Rapp himself who waited Spacey in Spacey's bed, and then the thing happened. Could be total BS, though.

If Spacey sexually assaulted Rapp then sure he deserves the scorn but what happened seems totally unclear. There have never been any claims of Spacey being into kids which is why I'm not too sure I believe Rapp. And no, you shouldn't always believe "the victim", especially in a case where the victim gets to raise his public profile by claiming to be a victim of abuse.

by Anonymousreply 85July 24, 2021 7:18 PM

Definitely Beyoncé. Her stans should be gassed.

by Anonymousreply 86July 24, 2021 7:30 PM

R85, there have been other men who came forward and said Spacey abused them as teens and Rapp never changed his story. Thanks for proving our point about Spacey stans. You disbelieve Rapp but automatically believe "someone said...." internet gossip

by Anonymousreply 87July 24, 2021 8:04 PM

R87, you're correct, after googling about it I found out there have been at least three teens, aged 14 to 17, who have accused Spacey of sexually assaulting them. I'm not his stan at all, and it was obvious he's a true sex pest and a serial groper but I thought he's only after adults.

One reason I had a hard time believing Rapp is just purely that I dislike him and his acting. I had to stop watching Star Trek because he's so annoying. That shouldn't obviously matter but in this case it did, especially because I thought he was the only one saying Spacey had assaulted him in his teens. Maybe he was telling the truth.

Quite honestly I haven't really cared that Spacey groped men in bars. Sure that's annoying but if it doesn't go beyond that who cares. Adult men are generally capable stopping unwanted advances like that.

by Anonymousreply 88July 25, 2021 12:02 AM

Woody Allen fans are disturbed. The way they attack Dylan and Ronan is just deplorable.

Madonna used to have a couple of batshit fans on here who were very homophobic. But they don't seem to post here very often. I guess even they've realized she's become too much of a mess to defend.

by Anonymousreply 89July 25, 2021 12:07 AM

Madonna

Lady Gaga

by Anonymousreply 90July 25, 2021 12:12 AM

R32, that sounds revolting. Why do they call themselves "sugars"?

by Anonymousreply 91July 25, 2021 12:12 AM

Omg Janet Jackson!

by Anonymousreply 92July 25, 2021 12:12 AM

Pretty much every female pop star has an annoying vocal fanbase. And I hate how they call people "sexist" for not liking their music.

by Anonymousreply 93July 25, 2021 1:00 AM

Emilia Clarke's fans are ridiculous bullies. I want to like her, but her fans are screaming harpies. And they talk about her like she is a tiny baby that they squirt out from their twats. It is bizarre. Someone made a not so flattering tweet about her new comic book and they quickly circled the wagons.

Parasocial relationships have really fucked with the fandom world.

by Anonymousreply 94July 25, 2021 1:01 AM

Jodie Foster

by Anonymousreply 95July 25, 2021 1:05 AM

R80 oh no! I’ve been viciously slapped! For the first time! I feel so… so… honored! You love me!! You love me!!!

by Anonymousreply 96July 25, 2021 1:12 AM

[Quote] Parasocial relationships have really fucked with the fandom world.

As evidenced by the Supernatural threads.

by Anonymousreply 97July 25, 2021 8:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!