Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How did Hilary Duff get away with blatantly stealing the sound from Depeche Mode’s “Personal Jesus”?

I can’t believe she got away with this.

I do like her version though. But still.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 13, 2022 6:15 PM

It’s called a sample, OP. Have you heard no popular music in the last 30 years?

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2021 10:01 PM

R1 tell that to Vanilla Ice and Robin Thicke.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 12:39 AM

R2, it's only a problem if you don't credit the writers of the song you're sampling

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 12:41 AM

The same reason Rihanna got away with blatantly stealing Soft Sell's "Tainted Love" for "SOS". The same reason Janet got away with stealing "Ventura Highway" for "Someone to Call My Lover". The reason Britney got away with stealing an old Bollywood song for "Toxic".

It's called sampling.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 12:42 AM

Her voice sucks. She makes Britney sound like Kiri Te Kanawa

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 12:43 AM

Britney is her idol. Britney’s was Janet and Madge.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 12:44 AM

If Britney was her idol then she have learned how to at least dance. She's a lazy artist who only got her pop career because she was a Disney star and inoffensive. She was a safe alternative to oversexualized pop stars, so parents were okay with their daughters buying her CDs. I do enjoy a lot of Hilary's singles like "Come Clean" and "So Yesterday" and I did watch Lizzie McGuire. But there's a reason her music career dwindled.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 12:48 AM

R1 Rihanna got sued by the estate of Michael Jackson for using "Mamase Mamasa Mamakusa" from "Want To Be Starting Something" in her song PLEASE DON'T STOP THE MUSIC.

They settled for an undisclosed sum

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 12:49 AM

Marvin Gaye's family sued Robin Thicke for Blurred Lines too.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2021 12:50 AM

R7 she was also 15 at the time. She was “safe” and “clean” because she was a kid making pop music for kids. Only hers went mainstream

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 12:51 AM

R9 and they won

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 12:51 AM

R10 Hilary wasn't mainstream though. American mainstream radio was not playing Hilary Duff, Raven, Jesse McCartney, Jonas Brothers or the High School Musical songs. She was mostly on kids radio or getting a lot of airplay on MTV. They made a lot of money off of CD sales and merchandise but there was still a thick separation between teen pop music and mainstream pop. I think social media changed that.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 12:52 AM

OP is gonna be MAD when he discovers Bootylicious.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2021 12:55 AM

R12 they were playing Hilary, Jonas Brothers, and Jesse McCartney. Know what you’re speaking of.

All were fixtures on MTV too

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2021 12:55 AM

Beautiful Soul by Jesse McCartney and Burnin Up by Jonas Brothers were radio fixtures. Z100 played them every hour.

As for Hilary, her song So Yesterday and Come Clean got radio play.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2021 12:58 AM

R14 I really don't remember any Hilary, JoBros or Jesse being on Top 40 radio at all. I do know their videos were on MTV and they were played over the reality shows and TRL was obsessed with them. Then again, much preferred 106 & Park.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2021 1:04 AM

Martin Gore of Depeche Mode is a credited songwriter for Reach Out and the sample was used legally. If other artists have been sued for illegal use that’s on them. OP was asking about the Hilary Duff song.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2021 1:05 AM

Mandy Moore was better.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2021 1:07 AM

[quote] Britney is her idol. Britney’s was Janet and Madge.

The mediocrity! It just keeps compounding.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2021 1:10 AM

I wish Lindsay Lohan got Hilary's songs because she has a stronger voice. Hilary whispers and mumbles her songs. Raven-Symoné is a good singer but Disney gave her wack ass songs and didn't even promote her music. I remember when she went on 106 & Park and threw shade at her audience for not buying her CDs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2021 1:13 AM

R16 Burnin Up by Jonas Bros was their first Top 10 on the charts, peaking at number 5 the summer of 2008. It was a summer hit and what catapulted them to the big stars they became.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2021 1:15 AM

R20 doesn’t that work being that Hilary’s songs were literally written for her?

Lindsay and her had very different styles all around. Hilary had more success in the music field.

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2021 1:17 AM

[quote] Burnin Up by Jonas Bros was their first Top 10 on the charts, peaking at number 5 the summer of 2008. It was a summer hit and what catapulted them to the big stars they became.

Big stars?

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2021 1:17 AM

[quote] The same reason Rihanna got away with blatantly stealing Soft Sell's "Tainted Love"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2021 1:19 AM

R22 Hilary sold more and had more popular songs but her music career isn't successful anymore. Her last album didn't sell well. Hilary just got lucky because she was a popular teen star riding off the success of Lizzie McGuire. She was never going to last. She was basically a Debbie or Tiffany of the time except not as talented.

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2021 1:22 AM

R25 oh I know her career is nothing now but she did have more success

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2021 1:24 AM

It's called sampling, it's an entirely new song and rap and the OP has 0% knowledge of hip hop.

There's even a chance Hillary Duff got copyright consent from Depeche Mode.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2021 1:25 AM

Kylie Minogue sampled "Rock Steady" for "Look My Way". George Michael sampled "Forget Me Nots" for "Fastlove". So pop stars were doing it too.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2021 1:27 AM

Most of Will Smith’s hits were based around samples from older songs

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2021 1:29 AM

Marc Almond and David Ball owe a little something to Gloria Jones people….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2021 1:36 AM

Sounds like a bad ripoff of S.O.S by Rihanna

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2021 2:00 AM

R31 right? Lmao. She has the definitive song

by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2021 2:23 AM

I like this song but the mv is still cringey. She's trying way too hard.

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2021 2:48 PM

R8 - that's odd - considering Michael Jackson stole that from another song himself. Yes, Rihanna used a sample of MJ's song, but it's kind of rich considering he took it himself.

Manu Dibango - Soul Makossa - I believe it was from Cameroon. Other parts of that song have been sampled for other songs too.

Wonder if MJ paid anything - I doubt it as I think that was before the laws were put into place regarding sampling credits.

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2021 2:54 PM

Good artists take. Great artists steal. Quincy Jones spilled the tea of how shady Michael Jackson was and how Michael would steal songs from others.

Led Zeppelin are the biggest thieves in music history. They even have a wiki page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2021 2:58 PM

While she is a mediocre (and I'm being generous) singer and lazy performer (she did attempt choreography for that Stranger song but looked stiff and awkward). I thought she had a lot of really catchy and well-produced feel-good songs (Come Clean, So Yesterday, Fly, Wake Up), way better than what she really deserved. I do wonder if she had found a new label during her period of popularity could she have gotten more hits and album sales. Disney obviously wanted to get rid of her once she turned 18 and her third album didn't do well. Hilary waited too long to do her fourth album and she was trying to do a Carly Rae or Kylie Minogue sound with it, I dug it, it wasn't a bad album honestly but it came out of the left field. She is not Beyoncé where she could just drop albums by surprise and expect it to be a hit.

Jesse McCartney had this song Leavin' where he tries to sound grown and macho and it's almost comical. Disney dumped him too probably he was older and also because pop star girls were a better investment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2021 3:15 PM

Damn, did Led Zeppelin just rip off every blues singer?

by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2021 3:30 PM

R36 his highest charting song, at number 10.

by Anonymousreply 38July 21, 2021 3:32 PM

Come Clean will be forever associated with Laguna Beach.

by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2021 3:34 PM

Yeah Laguna Beach gave Come Clean a life of its own.

by Anonymousreply 40July 21, 2021 3:35 PM

I liked Sparks a lot. I was sad people didn’t embrace it more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 21, 2021 3:38 PM

MTV definitely was biased towards Hilary. Her videos won # 1 on TRL for weeks straight. Laguna Beach used "Come Clean" as a theme song. That Sweet 16 show used one of Hilary's songs too as a theme. I also remember Jesse McCartney, Lindsay Lohan, Miley Cyrus, Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Tisdale were also getting a lot of love from MTV. It's odd to me actually how MTV (owned by VIACOM) was actively promoting Disney stars then,

by Anonymousreply 42July 21, 2021 3:44 PM

R42 it’s about the music and what’s popular with the youth of the time. Not about who owns what.

by Anonymousreply 43July 21, 2021 3:48 PM

What's even more bizarre is how MTV in the 80s and 90s refused to play tween pop stars and boy bands like Debbie, Tiffany, New Kids, Menudo, etc etc. They turned a leaf sometime in the late 90s obviously by embracing Backstreet Boys and Britney and later 2000s Disney stars.

by Anonymousreply 44July 21, 2021 3:52 PM

Why is this board filled with trolls? Another exaggerated headline meant to make shit out of a woman. Give it up.

by Anonymousreply 45July 21, 2021 3:54 PM

R45 Men and women both are guilty of plagiarism. Hilary was a manufactured pop star and ha a team that could get her the best songs, samples and production. You think people on this board don't make shit out of Justin Bieber, Shawn Mendes and BTS? Stop making celebrities out to be victims.

by Anonymousreply 46July 21, 2021 3:56 PM

Hilary's final album "breathe in. breathe out." was so fuckijg good that even Tay Tay was accused of ripping it off. I forget which song because I don't listen to Taylor. But it's one of the few pop albums i can listen to from beginning to end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 21, 2021 4:08 PM

R46, except she didn't commit plagiarism. Geez. The people who wrote the song for her sampled another song and credited the writer of the song they sampled. That's not plagiarism.

by Anonymousreply 48July 21, 2021 4:08 PM

This song has the scariest breakdown in poprock!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 21, 2021 4:11 PM

R47 could they pick a shittier photo of Taylor 😄

R49 there's just no mistaking that Good Charlotte sound.

by Anonymousreply 50July 21, 2021 4:14 PM

Complete rip-off!

by Anonymousreply 51January 3, 2022 8:59 PM

^ Someone doesn't understand sampling

by Anonymousreply 52January 3, 2022 9:00 PM

Depeche Mode got paid as "co-writers". She gave up half of the publishing rights to sample their song!

by Anonymousreply 53January 4, 2022 6:01 AM

I remember an interview she gave where she said whenever she’s having a bad day or going through something, she calls up her writers to help put it into lyrics lol. I don’t believe she did that but I thought it was funny.

At that time too, songwriting was considered taking being a serious artist.

Pink is much under the radar for having started the pop-songwriter era. All those tween pop singers started “writing” to become taken more seriously after “Mizundastood”. Christina Aguilera copied that album from the producers down to the guest features with “Stripped”.

by Anonymousreply 54January 4, 2022 6:20 AM

[Quote] I remember an interview she gave where she said whenever she’s having a bad day or going through something, she calls up her writers to help put it into lyrics lol. I don’t believe she did that but I thought it was funny.

She probably got Joel to help her.

by Anonymousreply 55January 4, 2022 12:06 PM

She can't sing. Her tone is pretty though. I admit I enjoyed her music, it was well-produced pop rock. Let's get real here, nobody believes Hilary is an artist who writes and sings. She was a Disney pop tart and probably the first successful one. Most Disney Channel singers couldn't sing except Raven and Christy Carlson Romano. I find that hilarious because Disney animated movies will hire Broadway singers. Yet Disney Channel can't have real singers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 21, 2022 12:35 AM

Raven and Christy outsang everyone. Yet Disney didn't promote any of their music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 21, 2022 12:42 AM

Raven again dominating the song. You could tell Dylan and Cole were forced to be there

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58January 21, 2022 12:46 AM

R56 her music was catchy and made good theme songs for MTV shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 21, 2022 5:33 AM

Adore Hilary. But she was seminal in my babydyke years, so I’m biased.

To this day I still bump her song ‘Stranger’. Though it’s auto-tuned to hell, somehow it sounds fresh and cyberpunkish while also having a primal dancey chanty element—kind of like Britney’s ‘Break The Ice’ or ‘Boys’ goes, or any darker dronefunk/techno-heavy JPop hit you might care to name.

‘Stranger’ proves that Hil could dance a little, too. Ok, it was only rudimentary belly and a few club shapes, but she could do it. Her body did look amazing during that time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 11, 2022 7:26 PM

Her DIGNITY album is still so good though??? Kara DioGuardia (of the band Mad Doll) did such stellar work on it.

‘No Work, All Play’ is so uplifting to me🌤and ‘Happy’ is a killer “fuck you I’m over you!!” song🙃

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 11, 2022 8:32 PM

OP more importantly how did Hilary get away with moving so many bottles of a mature, heavy, sickly, dirty, punchy, musky, boozy-curry androgynous perfume to a demo comprised almost entirely of teen girls?

Ok, it was packaged in a glam girly flanker and the juice was technically designed as an inoffensive tropical-oriental scent for beach-and-mallrats, but who in the West has even heard of mangosteen?

To this day it’s one of the best-selling and most lauded celeb fragrances of all time, and I’m like...why? Never smelled it myself tbh but it sounds disgusting.

Many reviews describe it as smelling of ‘rotting fruit & limp celery’, ‘sweaty gym sauna’, and ‘the dirty porch of an old cat lady’. It also garners unflattering comparisons to Avon scents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 12, 2022 7:01 PM

[quote]Mandy Moore was better.

Omg. I thought they were the same person.

by Anonymousreply 63February 12, 2022 7:11 PM

Is Hilary Duff bisexual? Asking for a friend..

by Anonymousreply 64February 13, 2022 6:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!