Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gay Olympic gymnast Dominic Clarke stresses visibility after coming out

Dominic Clarke is proud to compete as an openly queer Olympian, hoping to increase visibility of LGBTQ athletes.

Trampoline gymnast Dominic Clarke of Australia had a simple reason for coming out as gay a month before the Olympics by becoming a Pride ambassador for Gymnastics New South Wales.

“I’m very grateful that I have the support and opportunity to compete as my unapologetically queer self on the Olympic stage,” Clarke told Outsports. He identifies as gay and queer. “If I can inspire just one other queer athlete to feel more comfortable and safe in their chosen sport, then I’ve done my job as a Pride ambassador.”

In June, Clarke, 24, was named Pride ambassador along with former Australian gymnast and current coach Mic Whitehouse. In a short Facebook video, Clarke said, “I’ve been involved in gymnastics for over 20 years as a coach, judge and athlete. As a queer-identifying athlete, pride to me means being myself and promoting equality where I can within my chosen sport.”

Clarke was not on our original list of out Olympians but messaged us, saying, “Hey! I’m another openly queer athlete competing in the Olympics, if you want your numbers up.” It shows that despite our extensive research, there are still out Olympians we still don’t know about.

Dominic Clarke and Aiden Thomas of Australia competed during in synchronized trampoline at the 2018 World Cup in Japan.

Clarke, who has finished as high as fourth in international competitions in synchronized trampoline and sixth in individual, has been a gymnast since he was 5. He’s also a performer in other areas, playing the role of three characters in a production of “Cats,” where his gymnastics played a part.

Clarke was named Gymnastics Australia’s Trampoline Senior Male Athlete of the Year in 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2019, but Tokyo will be his first Olympics, and it will be exciting for him to compete as an openly out athlete.

The men’s trampoline event will be held Saturday, July 31 (the finals starts at 1:50 a.m. Eastern).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2021 2:55 PM

[quote]Dominic Clarke and Aiden Thomas of Australia competed during in synchronized trampoline at the 2018 World Cup in Japan.

That's the gayest thing I've ever heard.

[quote]He’s also a performer in other areas, playing the role of three characters in a production of “Cats,”

Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2021 2:19 PM

He’s hot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2021 2:19 PM

“Queer”, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2021 2:19 PM

Nice ass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2021 2:20 PM

R1

Aiden is straight but he supports Dominic’s coming out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2021 2:25 PM

R5

Aiden is extremely proud of his dear friend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2021 2:27 PM

"Queer"? Tattoos?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2021 2:31 PM

My best jump is my ‘ankles tucked behind the ears open hole presentation double flip energy bounce.’

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2021 2:43 PM

He’s an uncle Tom and a sellout and not the least bit attractive. In fact, I’d say he’s downright ugly.

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2021 2:47 PM

I agree with R7. Queer???? 🙄

And those stupid tats are fugly.

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2021 3:05 PM

They’re not that bad. But if they start to cover his ENTIRE body (like Tyler Posey, for example), I’ll be turned off.

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2021 3:09 PM

A gay gymnast, whodathunkit?

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2021 6:00 PM

🔥

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2021 7:22 PM

Wait—trampoline?

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2021 7:30 PM

Sorry, but he's NO Rhys McClenaghan.

Rhys is like 100x hotter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2021 7:43 PM

Bitter old queens hate younger gays for having a life they didn't have. Copy and paste comments which only edit the names of the gays who live proud. I'm sorry for anyone who isn't able to share joy for other people. I mean real people, not the Golden Grannies. I hope you will at least discover Sense8 before you die - because I want you to be happy and feel something between your legs.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2021 8:42 PM

[quote]I hope you will at least discover Sense8 before you die

The one with the gay character who's job it was to be good at nothing except lying and pretending? Progressive.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2021 10:44 PM

Ladies the ship has sailed on queer. And it’s sailing away without you. Do you want to be whingeing your way through every one of these stories for the rest of your lives? Get over it move on its so dull. Such a bunch of complainers wow.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2021 10:56 PM

"Male gymnast" is the only sport where people come out as straight. I just assume they're all gay until told otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2021 10:59 PM

He came out now because he didn't want to miss a trick at the olympics.

by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2021 11:13 PM

No he's not if he's married to that, R5!

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2021 4:59 AM

Simmer down and drink your Ensure, r10.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2021 5:23 AM

[quote] He’s an uncle Tom

What do you mean, R7?

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2021 5:40 AM

Gay is not queer!

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2021 6:07 AM

I wouldn't mind "queer" if it actually meant gay men, but it now means straight girls with pink hair and a Gender Studies degree who think kinky is having sex with the lights on.

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2021 2:12 PM

Queer is a slur

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2021 2:22 PM

Whatever happened to Flexie aka stretch bottom slut Ken?

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2021 2:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!