Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mandela Barnes

Campaign launch ad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 30, 2022 5:44 PM

Milwaukee Bucks executive (and son of the owner) (and progressive) Alex Lasry is already in the race.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2021 1:52 PM

Any particular reason JoeMyGod might be covering this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2021 4:05 PM

[quote] Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) said he may not be the best candidate for the 2022 midterms, ahead of what is expected to be a competitive Senate race in the Badger State.

[quote] "I want to make sure that this U.S. Senate seat is retained in Republican hands," Johnson told conservative talk show host Lisa Boothe on Wednesday.

[quote] "You see what the media’s doing to me. I may not be the best candidate. I wouldn’t run if I don’t think I could win if I don’t think I was the best person to be able to win," he continued.

[quote] Johnson went on to describe Washington as "incredibly frustrating," citing what he was "dysfunction" within the political scene. The senator also revealed that he did not think his time on Capitol Hill has been "particularly successful," pointing to issues that he campaigned on tackling, including rising debt and abolishing the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.

[quote] The senator has yet to formally announce whether he is running or not. Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-Wis.), former Rep. Sean Duffy (R-Wis.), former Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, and Marine veteran and former Senate candidate Kevin Nicholson have been floated as potential GOP Senate candidates in the case that Johnson does not run.

[quote] Meanwhile, the race is heating up on the Democratic side of the race. Milwaukee Alderwoman Chantia Lewis (D) became the latest Democrat to enter the primary on Wednesday, joining Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes (D), state Treasurer Sarah Godlewski, Milwaukee Bucks executive Alex Lasry and Outagamie County Executive Tom Nelson.

[quote] Wisconsin's Senate seat could prove to be one of the most consequential of the 2022 midterms, given that Democrats and Republicans hold a 50-50 tie in the Senate with Vice President Kamala Harris serving as a tie-breaking vote.

[quote] The Cook Political Report rates the race as a "toss-up."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2021 11:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2021 3:49 PM

He's young and gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2021 4:00 PM

I wish I lived in Wisconsin so I could give him my... er... vote!

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2021 4:01 PM

With Mandela in the race, Democrats have a lock on winning the vote in Milwaukee and Madison.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2021 4:16 PM

Sean Duffy would be a much better candidate for the GOP to nominate. Johnson needs to get off the pot after so much shitting.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2021 4:29 PM

Lasry is absolutely correct but this is still a great start for Barnes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2021 2:58 AM

Mandela is the best bet for Wisconsin. He'd work well with Tammy Baldwin. Rich out of State guys aren't gonna be able to buy their way in.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2021 6:46 AM

Fingers crossed that this is accurate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2021 3:02 AM

TreasonWeasel Ron Johnson announces re-election bid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2022 1:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2022 8:54 PM

Wisconsin? Never heard of it. What time is the party in Malibu?

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2022 9:26 PM

Mandela Barnes 19%

Alex Lasry 16%

Sarah Godlewski 7%

Tom Nelson 5%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2022 8:25 PM

[quote] (Ron) Johnson is losing senior staffers less than half a year until an election that could decide which party controls the Senate, which he previously pledged to not even run for again. His unfavorability ratings are the highest they’ve ever been, according to a poll in April by Marquette University Law School. The poll showed he was viewed favorably by 36% of Wisconsin voters, compared to 46% who viewed him unfavorably.

by Anonymousreply 16May 21, 2022 4:12 AM

[quote] Wealthy NBA exec Alex Lasry (D) to end his US Sen run - less than two weeks before primary - clearing the way for Lt Gov Mandela Barnes (D) to score easy primary win. Lasry was in a competitive second place behind Barnes in all recent polling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2022 3:24 PM

I think Lasry had a better chance, but Wisconsin Dems must know more than me.

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2022 8:06 PM

First, Tammy Baldwin films a full-throated endorsement of Mandela Barnes after Lasry dropped out.

Then, Russia Ron Johnson comments on State Treasurer Sarah Godlewski dropping out of the Democratic primary for US Senate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 30, 2022 3:29 PM

I'm a Wisconsin Democrat and of course I'm voting for Barnes 🙂

by Anonymousreply 20July 30, 2022 3:40 PM

[quote] The National Republican Senatorial Committee has cut more than $5 million in Pennsylvania, including its reservations in the Philadelphia media market, according to two media-tracking sources.

[quote] Reservations in Wisconsin, in the Madison and Green Bay markets, have also been curtailed, by more than $2 million. And in Arizona, all reservations after Sept. 30 have been cut in Phoenix and Tucson, the state’s only two major media markets, amounting to roughly $2 million more.

[quote] So far around $10 million had been canceled as of midday Monday,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2022 8:38 PM

Link is to a GOP account...because I can't find anything he has actually said. Only the right complaining about him saying...something. Literally every article I can find has them saying he wants to defund the police, but I can't find any comments about anything directly from him.

Also, I think he looks HAF in this photo they chose to show how ...something...he is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 9, 2022 2:41 PM

They're going to need every SJW, minority, LGBTQ and Independent to vote, to elect someone named 'Mandela' in Northern Redneck territory.

by Anonymousreply 23September 9, 2022 3:06 PM

Not great news. Down 7 points from the last poll conducted by Marquette University which is a highly rated poll in Wisconsin. From Wisconsin Twitter users, it appears that Barnes is not running a good campaign and letting his opponent walk all over him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2022 6:52 PM

Yeah, R24, I'm worried

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2022 7:08 PM

@r23 "Northern Redneck territory"

Kiss my Gay ass 😠

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2022 7:20 PM

Is this a problem for Wisconsin voters? I've read of families doing something like this to protect their assets if there is a family member with a chronic or terminal medical condition insure the person is eligible for Medicaid.

Or has Barnes had financial problems? I'm afraid Republicans will use this as a wedge to score white votes outside of Milwaukee and Madison.

[QUOTE]Barnes did not file a state or federal income tax return in 2018, the year he ran for lieutenant governor, because he did not have a paying job while running for office. He was on a government-funded Medicaid program during that time.[52] He purchased condominiums in Milwaukee and Madison in 2017 and 2018 with personal savings and family money.[53] In 2019, Barnes was delinquent on $2,225.43 in property taxes, interest, and penalties for his Milwaukee condominium.[54][55] He walked out of an interview when asked about the unpaid taxes, saying, "Most people I know have a balance, and the check is in the mail." After receiving two delinquent bills stating that his property was eligible for foreclosure actions, he paid his 2018 Milwaukee property tax balance in June 2019.[5

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2022 7:55 PM

If Madison wasn't cold as fuck, I'd live there in a heartbeat

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2022 7:59 PM

^ It's not that bad

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2022 8:03 PM

This is fire!

We would be much better off now if we had had this Obama when he was in the White House

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 30, 2022 4:38 AM

Johnson up 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 30, 2022 5:34 AM

Keith Boykin

[quote] I’ve never seen President Obama as fired up as he was on Saturday campaigning for Mandela Barnes to defeat Ron Johnson in Wisconsin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 30, 2022 12:53 PM

[quote] Ron Johnson has been on talk radio *325 times* this year, of which *186* have been in Wisconsin. Such incredible reach, for which Mandela Barnes and the Democrats have zero counterpart.

In a state where there's not a lot of excitement in the rural portions and people spend a lot of time in their cars...

(See also: Indiana Governor Mike Pence)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 30, 2022 5:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!