Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Some THINGS you like to COLLECT

I have been all over the world and collected so much stuff, I have had four yard sales to get rid of it all. Some treasures I used to collect were Clarice Cliff pottery, coffee grinders, unused record LP's, celebrity autographs, original folk art and antique cookbooks.

I have gotten rid of everything except my antique cookbooks. Some of them include: The Fashion Book of Recipes, 1934; Book of Etiquette, 1921; Mrs. Peterson's Simplified Cooking, 1926; and, The Everyday Cookbook, 1892.

What items do you hoard or collect?

by Anonymousreply 50July 25, 2021 1:56 PM

Anything made from Waterford crystal and Royal Delft pottery.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2021 12:46 PM

STDs.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2021 12:55 PM

Old peoples' excrement

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2021 1:03 PM

exes.

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2021 1:04 PM

I used to collect international coins. I had a great collection. Funny, I haven't a clue where it is now.

I also collected CDs. I had well over 1000. Then one day, like a light bulb turning on, I realized I didn't listen to most of them; I just liked collecting them.

So I gave them most away. My friends were so shocked that they thought I was giving stuff away as a precursor to suicide.

Nowadays everything is available on streaming that I barely have any CDs left. Plus I can't peruse through CDs stores for rarities because CD stores are gone.

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2021 1:11 PM

shitty exes

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2021 1:11 PM

I used to collect but then I valued a neat, organized home over lots of stuff

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2021 1:14 PM

Males.

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2021 1:20 PM

r6 that goes without saying.

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2021 2:56 PM

Art - contemporary (mostly) and (fewer) Old Masters and 19th/early 20thC paintings

Bronze or marble souvenirs of the Grand Tour

Architectural tiles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2021 3:12 PM

r10 You have old masters? Which ones?

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2021 3:30 PM

R11: Old Masters is an imprecise term. Broadly, it's European works by artists of some skill working between the Renaissance and about 1800. Some define it narrowly as only the most distinguished artists, others are more elastic on the attribute of skill. Auction houses generally define them as European works from this period and will often extend the period in organizing a sale, "Old Masters and 19th Century Paintings and Sculpture." I have some small works by famous artists, more curiosities and "decorative" than "important," and certainly not terribly valuable. Other works by unknown artists would simply be described in an auction simply described in an auction catalogue as as Italian 17th C, or Spanish 18thC, "German School but showing the influence of Venetian art." Early copies of masterworks fall in the category, too, technically good copies of the period or soon after but maybe student works whose authorship will never be known. So my paintings are what the dealers call "decorative" or "interesting" (the sort of thing that would never been in a big survey exhibition about Italian Renaissance art, but might, possibly if their were some comprehensive show of an artist where small oil studies and lesser works might be shown as a background to more famous, larger, and better works. It's stuff that can be bought in the hundreds or low thousands. Sorry to dissappoint!

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2021 5:09 PM

^^^ What about taking your stuff to Antiques Roadshow. They have surprising results.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2021 5:40 PM

Old medicine bottles and old medicine/social deportment/geographic/gun/automobile books.

Although my career was in natural sciences and not biology, my passion was how people survived, used home remedies, and engaged in social deportment in the Western US. The social deportment books just scoot over male behaviors but female prostitution and virginal purity were focused on.

One of the oddest and most-shocking moments in my life was when I was at some remote town in Montana and spied a mid 1800’s home remedy book. I purchased it and the old gal asked me not to “tear it apart.” Ack! WHY would I do that? She said medical people tear them apart and frame the old intricate drawings of human systems. So awful!

I also have first edition books by Upton Sinclair, Wallace Stegner, many old books on early Mormonism and Seventh Day Adventists, and many old geography overviews of Australia/Africa “primitive” cultures.

A few years ago I was low-budget touring Wales and accidentally ended in Hay-on-Wye in May. It was an Oh.My.God moment. The books!

There were 1800s French Revolution books, some in English! I dearly regret not buying the whole lot. That is one of my life’s greatest regrets. But I walked away thinking Holy Cow even back then the written word was used for selling something and propaganda..

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2021 5:57 PM

I collect Mid Century Modern glass, mostly from the 50s & early 60s, Italian & American.

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2021 5:58 PM

Okay, this is weird, but I used to like to keep the underwear (briefs or boxer briefs only) of guys I had been with.

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2021 6:02 PM

I don't collect anything now, but when I was in my 20s I collected old or odd cat figurines. The most cherished is a hand-made tiger about 1 1/2 inches long, posed in mid-stride, hand made of clay on a metal armature and carefully painted. It was part of a large set of miniature animals, part of an estate and selling from an antique shop in Ellsworth, Maine. It's one of a kind, and I guard it fiercely.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2021 6:14 PM

Vintage cars, we have nearly 20 from 1948 on. None particularly valuable. Victorian furniture.

by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2021 6:20 PM

Men, of course, But I prefer to arrange things like furniture and daffodils and lives.

--D. Levi

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2021 6:26 PM

R5 I used to have a lot of CD's, but recently disposed of the lot. Got cents in the dollar. Everything and anything I want I get on streaming services now.

I used to collect scale model diecast cars, mainly American and Aussie muscle cars, plus a few selected NASCAR models. I still have them, but most are in storage, have nowhere to display most of them currently. Also have a lot of automotive books, around 200, plus awhole lot of late 30's through late 50's Popular Mechanics and Popular Science magazines, also in storage. Also have a collection of belt buckles, and a few tooled leather belts, I wear those still. I used to have a collection of beer cans, it was a decor feature of some of the first places I lived in after moving out of home, long gone now.

I have a few pieces of Victorian furniture and ornate lamps, they're in use scattered around the house, dont have room for any more. Partner collects fine porcelain and china, and there is a lot, he also has a lot more antiques than I've got

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2021 6:31 PM

US political history books, 1960+. Biographies, Alternate history, Agatha Christie, and so many more categories. Thousands of books!

Crystal wine goblets.

Wedgwood, smalls and Christmas plates.

Edward VIII memorabilia.

DC comics: Superman, Superboy, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson, Detective, etc. All either 10 or 12 cents originally.

Egyptian art on papyrus.

Indian/Moghul art.

Ricky Martin memorabilia. Tons.

I got rid of 99% of the Ricky stuff, and I no longer collect any of the rest....EXCEPT......

I will still hunt for my missing DC comic books (anybody have a cheap "Showcase" #17? Heh.).

And just the other day I went to a Le Creuset outlet and bought three more pieces (well, I NEEDED a glossy black rice cooker with a gold knob, didn't I?!), raising my collection to forty-two.

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2021 7:51 PM

Ocean liner deck plans.

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2021 8:04 PM

Miss Kay Lenz posters, photos, mugs and memorabilia. Some rare Morgan Fairchild pieces.

by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2021 9:12 PM

R22 Fascinating. Why? What ships?

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2021 10:30 PM

Tintypes, daguerreorypes, ambrotypes and midcentury photos of handsome men.

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2021 10:46 PM

I collect enamel pins, and old yearbooks (I just ordered a lot of eight of them from Washington & Lee University, dating between the 1930s, & 1950s). With the yearbooks, I use them as costume design research, but I'm really going to have to settle on a specific era or institution, because just collecting all kinds of random yearbooks (as lovely as they are) is really ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2021 10:54 PM

Dust

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2021 11:07 PM

I’m pissed off. I hear those fucking squirrels running across my roof! One of those bastards will be inside my house before long.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2021 12:25 AM

Personalities

by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2021 12:37 AM

Resentments.

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2021 1:05 AM

Seashells, driftwood, sea glass... I lived most of my life in landlocked Flyoverland and they seem so exotic to me.

Also windchimes.

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2021 1:21 AM

Cats

by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2021 1:24 AM

I like to collect those tiny, little teensy-weenie plastic people that used to come in the box with model airplanes that you would use glue to put together.

Once I finished building the plane, I would stage a big crash in the backyard, with lighter fluid and matches. The teeny people would survive the crash, but we're captured by a tribe of cannibals, who would tie them to a stick in the ground and set them on fire with the lighter fluid and a match. They would melt, of course.

Very sad indeed.

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2021 1:31 AM

R33 Was this when you were 10? Or, yesterday?

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2021 1:42 AM

R24 A cruise to Venezuela when I was 9 on the SS Santa Paula

I have hundreds of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2021 2:46 AM

Diseases and ailments

by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2021 9:54 PM

R33 My friend and I once built a small wood cabin, maybe 12 inches wide. I kept it and one afternoon at my grandparent's country cabin I found a nice spot in the woods and set it on fire, all the while fantasizing a scenario for the imaginary occupants inside.

I shudder when I think of it now, the fire risk to the forest, but I really was very careful about it. It's the one and only time I literally played with fire, although I have figurately many times.

by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2021 10:00 PM

Accutron tuning fork watches from the 1960s and 1970s. Plus anything related to them like tools, advertisements, store displays, etc.

by Anonymousreply 38July 21, 2021 10:28 PM

Hello, Sybil @ R29!

by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2021 10:30 PM

Hi, r39. Howz it hangin?

by Anonymousreply 40July 21, 2021 10:36 PM

To the left, as usual, Sybil @ R40.

by Anonymousreply 41July 21, 2021 11:15 PM

Madame Alexander dolls, vintage reproduction barbies, jay Strongwater stuff, Lalique and baccarat crystal. I only buy what I like and only if it’s on sale.

This is anonymous right???

by Anonymousreply 42July 21, 2021 11:30 PM

Smurfs

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2021 10:10 PM

Debts.

Honey.

Cake-size, edible Partridge Family character replicas.

by Anonymousreply 44July 24, 2021 5:09 AM

DC Super Powers Kenner Action Figures 1984-86

Best action figure line EVER.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 24, 2021 5:14 AM

TV Guide Fall Preview Issues

by Anonymousreply 46July 24, 2021 5:15 AM

Old church hymnals, from various denominations.

by Anonymousreply 47July 24, 2021 5:51 AM

Hummel

by Anonymousreply 48July 24, 2021 7:30 AM

Admiring remarks.

by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2021 7:44 AM

R18 - holy cow. What cars? Do you work on them? Where do you store them?

I used to have a 1967 Olds 442, 1978 Mercedes SEL 450, 1953 Chevy PU. Long gone. 😥

by Anonymousreply 50July 25, 2021 1:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!