Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why didn’t Charlotte Church’s pop career take off?

As you remember, she was a child operatic singer who became very successful and famous. In the mid 00s she wanted to change her image and be a pop star. She wanted to be Britney meets Christina in one.

But her pop career never took off. Sad. She looked very pretty here and I liked her newly trained vocals to not sing in opera (yes, she took lessons to sing like a pop star and no more opera).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2021 2:59 AM

I have no idea. I love this song, and the series of EPs she did during those few years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2021 12:57 AM

She was child when she made it big. I would suspect that her transition into a full-fledged late-teen or early adult star has to do with career mismanagement. She also may or may not have wanted a career when the iron was hot. Lastly, what role did her parents play in being guided to make good, beneficial and profitable decisions?

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2021 1:00 AM

R1 that’s a great one! I like that one too.

It’s a shame she never took off.

My old music teacher in college would use her as an example as someone who misused her voice from a young age, hurting her vocals. He swears to this day she did not take lessons to learn to sing like a pop singer because she was done with opera, he says she could no longer sing opera the way she once did due to forcing a strong vibrato since she was a girl. Due to this, she had no choice but to give it up or learn a new way of singing.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2021 1:02 AM

She did a trance song and they changed her name to her initials. Apparently they didn’t want to ruin her career crossing over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2021 1:03 AM

She was out of control by the time she was 15, running off to parties, getting drunk and high and became a smoker. I used to hear a lot about her back when she started her talk show in the UK. I heard she was a mess behind the scenes too.

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2021 1:08 AM

[quote] became a smoker

OH DEAR

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2021 1:12 AM

She hates Trump, so whatever her personal shortcomings may be, she’s ok by me.

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2021 1:13 AM

I’ve always adored her singing “Bridge Over Troubled Water”. Beautiful. She was 15 here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2021 1:18 AM

Her music probably didn't appeal to kids of her generation. She has an adult signing voice and sings adult contemporary tunes. Unfortunately, adults don't buy music.

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2021 1:26 AM

Because she wasn't as lucky as Brie Larson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2021 1:36 AM

I used to love her song “Dream a Dream” with then child star Billy Gilman.

Poor thing couldn’t keep up with her though and was drowned out by her during their harmony later in the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2021 1:43 AM

Her pop wasn’t even pop. It was alternative. She was interesting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2021 1:48 AM

She never bothered to wax off her upper lip moustache. That's why.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2021 1:51 AM

This is a good song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2021 1:51 AM

This was quite lovely. I was prepared to cringe at its awfulness but her voice is very beautiful and the song is honest and pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2021 1:55 AM

People who loved her "child with the voice of an angel" schtick didn't want to listen to her pop music and anyone that liked her new style wasn't going to be caught dead buying Charlotte Church music.

And a lot of people thought it was just part of her rebel phase and that had become what she was known for at the time.

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2021 1:57 AM

First off, her last name is Church. Her first album was Voice Of An Angel. She sang Pie Jesu at Rupert and Wendy Murdoch's wedding. Not exactly makes me think PoP Star.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2021 2:08 AM

Again, interesting.

She grew up to be very pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2021 2:14 AM

Singing 9 to 5 with Fergie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2021 2:18 AM

She looks like a Romani traveler. Maybe she should give her career a boost by covering this fellow traveler's masterpiece?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2021 2:19 AM

I always found her quite fabulous. I miss the days when photos of her staggering out of a club with her skirt tucked into her knickers and her hair stuck to her face was in the tabloids at least twice a week.

However, I've always thought she didn't really want it. It's debatable how much of her classical career was ever her design, and I suspect that when it started to decline she only chose to carry on as a pop star because singing was what she had got used to. I'm not convinced she ever had any great love for it.

Then along came that fame hungry Easter Island statue that knocked her up at 21, her priorities changed, and she withdrew. By all accounts her money was managed quite well so she'll never need to work again and can do the things she really wants to do.

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2021 2:23 AM

R7 HAHA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2021 2:40 AM

[Quote]She was out of control by the time she was 15, running off to parties, getting drunk and high and became a smoker.

Good grief! What a terror!

by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2021 2:47 AM

R11 Have you kept up with him? He too has tried to leave his childhood genre for pop. And, is now also openly gay, and I think quite cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2021 3:29 AM

R24 he annoyed me on The Voice so I don’t follow him

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2021 1:12 PM

Does she live in the UK or states?

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2021 9:05 PM

[quote]Then along came that fame hungry Easter Island statue that knocked her up at 21

Was that Gavin Henson?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2021 9:13 PM

One of my exes was into Charlotte Church. He was a cheeseball.

by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2021 9:14 PM

she was / is a lush

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2021 9:18 PM

Ugly chubby face

by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2021 11:49 PM

My favorite Charlotte Church moment, featuring Amy Winehouse. The look of mortification on Charlotte's face is priceless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2021 2:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!