Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why does San Jose seems less well known than other California cities like Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego?

San Jose is the 10th largest city in the US. As the Capital of Silicon Valley, it is one of the wealthiest major cities in the world. It has the highest percentage of million-dollar (or more) homes in the US. The metropolitan area has the most millionaires and the most billionaires in the US per capita. Households in the city limits have the highest disposable income of any city in the US. It has the lowest crime rate of any US city with a population of 500,000 or more. It sounds like an absolute cosmopolitan and first class city, yet completely overshadowed by other major cities. Is it the city equivalent of the guy that checks all the right marks but is completely lacking in sex appeal?

by Anonymousreply 117July 24, 2021 7:00 PM

*seem

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2021 10:43 PM

Because nobody knows the fucking way to get there! I've been asking for 53 God damn years and still no one's told me!

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2021 10:47 PM

Does it have a GOP major? It’s also the largest city in America without fluoride in its water

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2021 10:48 PM

Because Gertrude Stein's observation about Oakland now applies to San Jose...

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2021 10:49 PM

It's a suburban sprawlburg with no culture or real identity.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2021 10:50 PM

It’s not a very pretty or exciting place to be, honestly. I’ve been twice for work, and I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2021 10:54 PM

fuck y'all

I luvs it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2021 10:57 PM

Because the only reason to go to San Jose was the Water Garden bath house. Now that it is permanently closed, why bother with San Jose?

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2021 10:58 PM

[quote] why bother with San Jose?

The Winchester Mystery House, whore!

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2021 11:00 PM

Complete vote of a place. It’s only a city because computer companies are there

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2021 11:01 PM

San Jose is no San Diego .

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2021 11:02 PM

Megalopolis Syndrome. It's just part of San Francisco now, just like Oakland, Palo Alto, and Sunnyvale.

Philly has a similar identity problem. And hell, it was once the biggest & richest city in the entire US.

Baltimore's identity problem is even worse. Baltimore isn't "DC", but it's no less-DC than Arlington or Tysons Corner.

As far as anyone not from Texas is concerned, Fort Worth is as "Dallas" as Plano.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2021 11:04 PM

I have an aunt whose family had a dairy farm outside San Jose when she was growing up and which is now tract homes. As I look down while the plane circles before it lands at SJC, I always think of something she said (and she was talking about the 1950's)

"San Francisco was the place you'd go to have some fun. San Jose was the place you'd go if you ran out of vacuum cleaner bags."

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2021 11:06 PM

Because it is part of the Bay Area, and San Francisco is the famous place in the bay area.

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2021 11:10 PM

San Francisco is the capital of Silicon Valley now.

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2021 11:27 PM

San Jose was not always a large city. It was always an unmemorable small city, which people in San Francisco would joke about. It is only since the tech companies moved there, that it became a large(r) city, but San Francisco is still "The City" of the bay area.

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2021 12:07 AM

Prunedale. As Herb Caen said, San Jose and similar suburbs like Sunnyvale or Milpitas are like Los Angeles suburbs that somehow floated north. It was not that long ago that it was a small town. It is still difficult to make out their downtown as there are few tall buildings. It does still seem like a bedroom community to me.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2021 12:12 AM

It had under 100,000 people as recently as 1950.

by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2021 12:20 AM

Because it’s a boring suburb with no culture.

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2021 12:32 AM

It's actually an old city, formerly the state capitol and it has some interesting books and crannies, but, yeah, it's mostly a mini LA overshadowed by the smaller, but more glamorous and ur an San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2021 12:35 AM

It’s insane that San Jose has not allowed great density and high rises. There is absolutely no reason for it to be low density - it should be like downtown Dallas. NIMBYs in Silicon Valley need to be overruled by the government.

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2021 1:24 AM

I went to Zillow to see what all these million dollar homes look like and WTF? I understand the effect of supply and demand on housing prices, but $1.4 million for shit like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2021 1:32 AM

She ain't no Modesto, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2021 1:34 AM

Exactly R22 - which is why I think residents’ fight to “preserve” that housing is ridiculous. Knock down the 70s cardboard box and build 4 townhouses at least - if not a condo building.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2021 1:34 AM

It does have great Vietnamese food.

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2021 1:35 AM

It’s a god damn roasting hot hell hole. Second only to shithole STOCKTON

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2021 1:52 AM

It’s like Irvine without the charm.

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2021 1:57 AM

The downtown can't grow tall because it's in the flight path of the airport. I used to live in the Bay Area and I was shocked at how boring San Jose was, especially since it is so expensive.

by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2021 1:59 AM

I am from San Jose. There are some nice older neighborhoods (Willow Glen, Rose Garden) but it's otherwise unremarkable and boring. The weather is good though.

by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2021 2:08 AM

At least Stockton has some funky, skanky charm. It is unapologetically low rent, yet has an incredibly diverse (and cheap) food scene. It is starting to become gentrified, of course, sadly. San Jose wishes it was that interesting. It has nothing going for it, bad or good.

The weather is good in San Jose? Are you Satan?

by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2021 2:10 AM

r17 Prunedale is an actual town, a ways south of SJ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 20, 2021 2:24 AM

[quote]R17 Prunedale

In California we call that Prunetucky.

by Anonymousreply 32July 20, 2021 2:29 AM

[quote]In California we call that Prunetucky.

Phrase makers.

by Anonymousreply 33July 20, 2021 2:43 AM

WhoahWhoahWhoahWhoahWhoahWhoahWhoahWhoahWhoahWhoah

by Anonymousreply 34July 20, 2021 3:41 AM

I live in San Jose and it's definitely not the most amazing city but it's 100x better than Stockton, don't be ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 35July 20, 2021 3:47 AM

I lived there in 1974--when I first got out of college and started my first job. Back then, you could buy a decent condo for only $30K. Of course salaries were much lower there and I couldn't even afford that. My 1BR apt just north of downtown was $125/mo.

by Anonymousreply 36July 20, 2021 3:50 AM

R31, I am aware of that. Many people from the East Bay (mostly Berkeley) referred to the AREA as “Prunedale” in the 1950s and 1960s. There was not much there. Again, as others have pointed out, the population of San Jose proper was around 100,000. Compared to Berkeley/Oakland it was the sticks.

by Anonymousreply 37July 20, 2021 3:57 AM

I’ve lived in SJ all my life & it’s wonderful, great quality of life, unbeatable weather, but its bland, quiet, very little culture. It’s the epitome of a (very large) suburb. The cost of housing is atrocious, I don’t know how younger people can afford to live here, unless they’re in tech. We bought our house for $54,000 back in the mid-70s, my grandparents bought theirs for half that about 10 yrs previous. Now both houses are worth well over a million, basic starter homes, no major improvements. We also have a burgeoning homelessness problem, they’re cropping up everywhere you look. I was at the credit union ATM a couple days ago & a homeless man collapsed & passed out almost at my feet.

by Anonymousreply 38July 20, 2021 4:18 AM

r37 I actually grew up in the East Bay in the 1950s--literally right next to Oakland and Berkeley--and never heard any use the term Prunedale. We did used to mention that fact that there were extensive prune orchards in the area -- and of course there was the Pruneyard in Campbell. We had relatives in Cupertino, and I never heard them mention it either.

by Anonymousreply 39July 20, 2021 4:28 AM

Same here, R39. Whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 40July 20, 2021 4:34 AM

r21, airport flight path aside, the big problem with skyscrapers in San Jose isn't NIMBYs, it's economics.

1. The only relatively-undeveloped part of San Jose is the low-lying mud flats along the Bay.

2. Florida-style dredge & fill construction (for waterfront single-family and townhouse construction) isn't possible in California. Every time there's an earthquake, the vibration shuffles around the grains of sand, dirt, and pebbles & causes it to settle. At best, you eventually end up with expensive foundation damage. At worst, the structure catastrophically collapses during a major earthquake. The only type of buildings you COULD build on that land are literal skyscrapers, sitting on pilings that extend down to the bedrock PLUS all the extra anchoring and mass-dampening skyscrapers in seismic areas require.

3. Skyscrapers are really, really expensive per square foot. Like, 4-16 times the cost per square foot of a single-family home. Even when land is expensive, there aren't many areas where economics alone make skyscrapers cost-effective relative to dense-but-cheaper residential housing forms like narrow townhouses (where you get the benefits of cheaper construction, the density of low-rise condos, and the added privacy & property values of (sort of) single-family homes where you own everything from soil to sky within your lot's small-but-exclusive footprint.

4. In normal cities, the downtown's waterfront is the one area where it makes economic sense to build a few residential skyscrapers. Even 30 years ago, Miami had impressive lines of skyscrapers along Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. The catch in San Jose is, eastern San Francisco Bay smells like rotting garbage, and it's really not much to look at. If you're rich enough to afford a penthouse in Silicon Valley, you're rich enough to afford a house on the side of a hill.

So... in light of problems 1 to 4, the only way San Jose can really densify is if existing single-family neighborhoods get bought, demolished, and redeveloped... and for THAT to happen, you have to get past the impenetrable wall of NIMBYs. The one place where the NIMBYs are semi-ambivalent about new development (the waterfront) is too expensive (even by Bay Area standards) relative to the people who'd actually want to live there. A shitty 3/2 ranch house straight out of the 1970s might cost $1.3 million... but it's still a lot bigger, more desirable, and more convenient than a shitty 900sf 2B/1.5b condo that doesn't even include deeded parking spaces in the garage & would cost almost as much.

San Jose's problem is kind of like Brasilia's... the city isn't as big or dense as it "ought" to be (to optimally house everyone who wants to live there, at a cost they can halfway afford), but any changes made to increase the size or density would objectively diminish the quality of life for everyone who already lives there... and those residents have veto power they aren't the least bit hesitant to use in order to preserve THEIR OWN quality of life. In Brasilia's case, the city's planners literally went out of their way to make it "impossible" for more than ~500,000 people to live there by creating artificial corners, then intentionally painting themselves into them. In San Jose's case, the corners were more unintentional and organic (basically, tall mountains and a seismically-unstable bay hemming them in), but the outcome was basically the same.

by Anonymousreply 41July 20, 2021 4:39 AM

It was rural until long after the other cities developed their colorful histories. When I was a kid along for the ride with my family from SF to Santa Cruz, it was nothing but a bunch of dusty orchards.

It's suburban, not urban. It's urban center is newer, not historic like SF, SD, or LA

The downtown is small

It is inland and although not a huge distance from the coast it's separated by a mountain range

There is no there there

It's not horrible, but its no SF, LA, or SD

Apart from Silicon Valley and the wealthy small towns and suburbs, there's not much to make the area notable.

by Anonymousreply 42July 20, 2021 4:59 AM

You can really breathe in San Jose. They've got a lot of space. There'll be a place where I can stay.

by Anonymousreply 43July 20, 2021 5:19 AM

Its name means “Saint Jose.”

by Anonymousreply 44July 20, 2021 9:55 AM

San Jose is so basic and unattractive. It is insane that the little tract house my husband lived in there as a child is worth almost $3 million now.

by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2021 11:04 AM

OP San Jose is a suburb of San Francisco. San Francisco is one of the most famous cities IN. THE. WORLD. Even if SF is small, it will always eclipse San Jose like Los Angeles eclipses Long Beach.

by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2021 11:57 AM

Baltimore, Philly and even Oakland have more clear identities than San Jose.

by Anonymousreply 47July 20, 2021 12:14 PM

[quote]San Jose's problem is kind of like Brasilia's... the city isn't as big or dense as it "ought" to be (to optimally house everyone who wants to live there, at a cost they can halfway afford), but any changes made to increase the size or density would objectively diminish the quality of life for everyone who already lives there... and those residents have veto power they aren't the least bit hesitant to use in order to preserve THEIR OWN quality of life.

That's not a problem, that's a strength. There is no reason a municipality should have to accommodate every loser who shows up and wants to live there. Same problem with the entire state. Guys, you're out of water. The answer is really clear. No new residential construction. Not for a long, long time. As old housing is taken out of service, buh-bye to it. Don't replace it. Because you're out of water.

The Central Valley of California feeds our nation. California does not need more affordable housing. It needs more farm land and plenty of water to irrigate it. If people forced to exit almighty California and live in Nevada, no one cares.

by Anonymousreply 48July 20, 2021 12:32 PM

Even though it's larger San Jose is a suburb of San Francisco. In 1950 San Jose didn't even have 100,000 people. It was merely a center for agricultural goods. This is the same way Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia but it's really a suburb of Norfolk.

by Anonymousreply 49July 20, 2021 12:41 PM

San Jose has always been a town to drive through on the way to somewhere else. Either down 101 heading south toward LA and Disneyland or heading west on 92 toward Santa Cruz. When I was a kid in the early '60s, San Jose was a whole lot a fuck nothing. And it remains thus to this day.

by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2021 12:50 PM

[quote]it's definitely not the most amazing city but it's 100x better than Stockton,

California has two major cities, San Francisco and Los Angeles. The 400 miles in between are a whole lotta dinky boring buttfuck bergs whose sole raison d'etre is to provide fuel and food for the mob wisely passing through to somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2021 1:00 PM

The gay scene in San Jose is tragic, as are its participants. As we always said, they are too unattractive to make it up north in the big city.

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2021 1:14 PM

Sausalito, BABY!

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2021 1:19 PM

The comments on this thread remind me of when my partner, who grew up in San Jose back when it was trashier than it is now, had some co-worker who apparently said something rude about San Jose and all my partner could think of to say in return was, "At least it's not STOCKTON."

by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2021 1:30 PM

San Jose is the Tacoma of California.

by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2021 2:21 PM

Agriculture accounts for the OVERWHELMING majority of California's water use. California doesn't even need desalination, it just needs a cheap way to send fresh water to cities FIRST, then pump the filtered (and poop-enriched) sewage water back uphill to inland farmers for watering crops.

"Making deserts bloom" is great 1970s agitprop, but stupid as an economic policy.

Farming makes a few plantation-like farming conglomerates richer. Silicon Valley makes 10x as many people into billionaires, 100-1000x as many into millionaires, and a million times as many people middle-class or above (compared to farmworkers).

by Anonymousreply 56July 20, 2021 2:38 PM

Silicon Valley has done nothing but widen the gap between the rich and the poor while threatening our constitutional rights.

And these techbro doucheholes voted for every rule and regulation that drove mediocre tract homes over the million dollar mark.

All those vegetable farms that employ migrant workers are the closest thing to slavery in the modern United States outside of prison labor. And think of how many animals are killed to grow heads of quick-wilting lettuce just so some thunder-thighed Karen can have a salad drenched with HFCS-laden dressing.

by Anonymousreply 57July 20, 2021 2:43 PM

[quote]Farming makes a few plantation-like farming conglomerates richer.

Central Valley feeds this country.

[quote]Silicon Valley makes 10x as many people into billionaires, 100-1000x as many into millionaires, and a million times as many people middle-class or above (compared to farmworkers).

You can't eat billionaires.

[quote]All those vegetable farms that employ migrant workers are the closest thing to slavery in the modern United States outside of prison labor.

All made worse by last week's Supreme Court decision, 6 to 3, making it harder for union organizers to reach farm workers. Write your Senators and Representative now and demand a living wage for farm laborers.

by Anonymousreply 58July 20, 2021 2:51 PM

Still amazing how most people don’t realize how much of their food is grown in California’s Central Valley.

California basically exists because of the bizarre accident of nature which provided the Central Valley with ideal growing conditions.

But not for long, because of global warming.

by Anonymousreply 59July 20, 2021 3:01 PM

[quote] Why does San Jose seems less well known than other California cities

Because people don't know The Way To San Jose.

by Anonymousreply 60July 20, 2021 3:06 PM

The surrounding suburbs in the hills are nice and more affluent. . San Jose is a concrete pit, not nice, horrible traffic. N Cal native here

by Anonymousreply 61July 20, 2021 3:07 PM

I have a friend there. She's from NYC and has lived in the San Jose area for more than three decades. She loves it for the climate (no San Francisco fog and no east coast harsh winters) and for the great restaurants and diversity.

by Anonymousreply 62July 20, 2021 3:13 PM

"You can't eat billionaires."

I suggest we try.

by Anonymousreply 63July 20, 2021 4:03 PM

No body knows the way to San Jose

by Anonymousreply 64July 20, 2021 4:05 PM

frankie doesn't

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 20, 2021 4:08 PM

The Osmond brothers don't

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 20, 2021 4:09 PM

Jim O' rourke got lost

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 20, 2021 4:09 PM

Connie gave up too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 20, 2021 4:10 PM

and Jonathan is not even trying

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 20, 2021 4:11 PM

Burt is still searching

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 20, 2021 4:12 PM

Maybe Rita will be lucky ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 20, 2021 4:13 PM

where the Avalanches have failed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 20, 2021 4:14 PM

Kiki Dee could tell you why OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 20, 2021 4:15 PM

Because it's a mediocre city with no distinguishing features.

by Anonymousreply 74July 20, 2021 4:17 PM

Because Michelle opted for Knot's landing instead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 20, 2021 4:18 PM

While Sandi and Sally will die trying

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 20, 2021 4:20 PM

But if even Neil can't fing it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 20, 2021 4:22 PM

Could Jimmy Dorsey ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 20, 2021 4:23 PM

R55 Fucking NAILED it.

So over the, oh, parts of it are just charming, and...the kicker of LIES...: "what perfect weather!", the real estate poodles here are trying to sell.

It's a fucking hell hole. And not even in a fun Spinal Tap way.

by Anonymousreply 79July 20, 2021 4:41 PM

In San Jose all seems to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 80July 20, 2021 4:47 PM

Sandi and Sally couldn't even take San Jose. They moved on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 20, 2021 5:06 PM

[quote] I lived there in 1974--when I first got out of college and started my first job. Back then, you could buy a decent condo for only $30K

Amazing how much things change in 50 years.

I bet you could have bought large plots of land for $30K in 1924

by Anonymousreply 82July 20, 2021 5:24 PM

Does San Jose have its own broadcast TV stations or do you just get say the NBC affiliate in San Francisco?

Can you pull in SF radio stations?

And do the San Francisco newspapers cover San Jose as part of their "metro" coverage?

by Anonymousreply 83July 20, 2021 5:30 PM

r83 yes to all

by Anonymousreply 84July 20, 2021 5:31 PM

Thanks R84! So, to clarify, it looks like San Jose and San Francisco share TV stations, e.g, the NBC affiliate is based in San Jose but called "NBC Bay Area"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 20, 2021 5:36 PM

I grew up there and thought it was dumb even as a kid. We would take the bus to SF in order to do something other than visit the Egyptian Museum or a strip mall. Everything already said here is accurate.

Now as a decrepit guy circling the drain I appreciate the unpretentious blandness and safety of the place. Plus there was a large hispanic culture. Spanish was taught in public schools. I loved that.

by Anonymousreply 86July 20, 2021 5:55 PM

Good cheap Mexican food to be had all over San Jose.

by Anonymousreply 87July 20, 2021 6:16 PM

WRONG r87 Once upon a time,perhaps, but San Jose can't even get Mexican food right these days. They can't get anything right and they don't even try.

Chains, chains and more chains. "Upscale" ones like that shitty quasi Italian dump Il Fornaio.

Gross.

by Anonymousreply 88July 20, 2021 10:04 PM

I remember back in the 90s being impressed by their timed traffic lights that allowed cars to travel in a wave of traffic on local streets for several miles before hitting a red light. It was not something found elsewhere in Bay Area.

by Anonymousreply 89July 20, 2021 10:41 PM

San Jose, keeping it classy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 21, 2021 1:11 AM

r85 That only happened because the former NBC affiliate (KRON in San Francisco) balked at continuing its affiliation with the network, so NBC switched to KNTV in San Jose, which was a secondary ABC affiliate serving the south Bay and points south (like down to Monterey/Salinas.) Then NBC bought the station outright.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 21, 2021 3:01 AM

The San Jose die-hards are adorable, except for the adorable part.

by Anonymousreply 92July 21, 2021 5:08 AM

Well, it is better than Stockton. Stockton used to be kind of an okay farm town, but now it's a hot dump with a lot of crime. San Jose is bland and sprawling, but the weather's decent and crime isn't a huge problem. It's just kind of bland. People don't go to San Jose to do things. They go to San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Napa, Berkeley, even Palo Alto which has a downtown about three streets wide. But San Jose? Nah.

So, nice enough to live there, but you wouldn't want to visit.

by Anonymousreply 93July 21, 2021 5:41 AM

San Jose is a great place. All you mincing queens would die to live here if given a chance. It has great restaurants, great shopping malls, very little crime, close to some of the most scenic places in the world (Big Sur, Redwoods etc) , excellent climate, friendly and very liberal crowd. Probably the only city in the US where I can feel safe walking alone at 1 AM.

It has no culture, history, character ? Yeah, big deal. I'd rather have good food, good people around me, great weather, great places to hang out than some imaginary character that you stupid queens made up in your messed up head. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 94July 21, 2021 5:47 AM

I like Stockton. That said, I get that it is... "Stockton". You know your city is shite when basically what you have to say about it is that it is "better than Stockton". I mean...where do you even go with that?

Modesto...It's better than Stockton.

Ew.

by Anonymousreply 95July 21, 2021 6:22 AM

Irvine has charm? Lol.

It only did way back when Irvine was nothing more than a gas station, a store and a billion orange trees delineated by lines of massive eucalyptus trees, and the only thing happening was Rex Heflin taking pictures of UFOs, people driving through Lion Country Safari and kids scaring each other with tales of "Old Lady Irvine."

Now, it's just another corporate-suburban San Jose. The headquarters of Taco Bell...

by Anonymousreply 96July 21, 2021 6:39 AM

Nobody knows the way to San Jose, Dionne, because nobody has a reason to go there.

by Anonymousreply 97July 21, 2021 6:40 AM

~12 years ago, I had a fantastic Friday night at a bar in San Jose learning how Intel bootstrap mode (where the CPU uses its cache as RAM) works, before going home with the guy & his husband and taking turns with him fucking his husband's brains out.

The next night in San Francisco, I spent 3 hours pretending to give a shit about some celebrity so I could fuck some leather guy with purses falling from his mouth every time he opened it.

San Jose was a lot more fun & intellectually stimulating.

by Anonymousreply 98July 21, 2021 6:43 AM

And physically stimulating too, by the sounds of it!

by Anonymousreply 99July 21, 2021 6:47 AM

R88 you don't know what you're talking about, there's plenty of good Mexican food in San Jose... that being said it's probably not any better than SF or Oakland and not as good as SoCal

by Anonymousreply 100July 21, 2021 7:10 AM

[quote] Because Michelle opted for Knot's landing instead

She made the right choice.

by Anonymousreply 101July 21, 2021 11:21 AM

R94 "great shopping malls" ????????? That tells us all why we NEVER need to go to San Jose.

by Anonymousreply 102July 22, 2021 5:52 PM

r102 Bitch, this place is too good for you. You aren't needed here.

by Anonymousreply 103July 22, 2021 10:31 PM

How do Fresno and Bakersfield compare with Stockton, Modesto and SJ?

by Anonymousreply 104July 23, 2021 8:05 PM

r104 One of those is not like the others. San Jose is not in the Central Valley and is nothing like the other four.

by Anonymousreply 105July 23, 2021 8:06 PM

ok r105. That should say "How do Fresno and Bakersfield compare and contrast with Stockton, Modesto and SJ?". Happy now?

by Anonymousreply 106July 23, 2021 8:09 PM

Yeah it sucks

by Anonymousreply 107July 23, 2021 8:53 PM

I don't want high density living where I live. Why would I want that? To get more fucking people around me? To see my quality of life go down because I have no backyard and many neighbors? No thank you.

I have an idea. Take one of your desired high rises, and shove it up your butt.

by Anonymousreply 108July 23, 2021 9:09 PM

'Cause it's fucking impossible to find or to convince complete strangers to stop and give you directions to it, bitch!!!"

by Anonymousreply 109July 24, 2021 5:16 AM

Modesto has and edge over Stockton because of its association with the wine industry. Ernest & Julio Gallo’s winery is located there. I’ve never heard of a Stockton wine.

by Anonymousreply 110July 24, 2021 5:56 AM

There's a wine industry in Lodi, just north of Stockton.

by Anonymousreply 111July 24, 2021 11:46 AM

Yes put more people in Stockton or Modesto. Leave San Jose alone.

by Anonymousreply 112July 24, 2021 2:20 PM

[quote]it is one of the wealthiest major cities in the world. It has the highest percentage of million-dollar (or more) homes in the US. The metropolitan area has the most millionaires and the most billionaires in the US per capita. Households in the city limits have the highest disposable income of any city in the US.

And?

by Anonymousreply 113July 24, 2021 2:33 PM

Yes, of course r111, but it says Lodi on the bottles not Stockton. Stockton wine I’d imagine being something like Night Train or Thunderbird.

by Anonymousreply 114July 24, 2021 4:53 PM

Lol@114

by Anonymousreply 115July 24, 2021 6:07 PM

The only reason to go to San Jose - the Water Garden bathhouse - is gone now. Alas.

by Anonymousreply 116July 24, 2021 6:16 PM

[quote] There's a wine industry in Lodi, just north of Stockton.

Please. Why not just drink grape cola out of a can?

by Anonymousreply 117July 24, 2021 7:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!