Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pick my Premier League ⚽️ team

For ethical, social and emotional reasons I can no longer support Chelsea Football Club, so my fan services are available to a different PL team—ideally one with a low-key but fierce reputation, a sort of scrappy throwback loyalist outfit. I already support a National League team (atm Level 6, sadly) so I’m not in the market for that as well.

Tell no-one, but I’m also semi-boycotting the Premier League (not paying subs or giving clicks to official media channels), but also I’m not naive enough to think that the pyramid will collapse without one fan, so I’ll still pirate-stream games and follow results of whichever club I choose next.

by Anonymousreply 66August 26, 2021 1:19 PM

No-one here had a dad who neglected them to watch the football? I find that hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2021 3:52 PM

Brentwood have been promoted to the First Division for the first time ever, so I suppose they’d be a good choice as a fan starting over. Can’t be accused of bandwagonning or gloryhunting by support for an obscure team who only just walked in the door and desperately need a growing fan base.

Then again, their kit this year is atrocious and they don’t have any fitties playing for them. And their nickname is the Bees, which is too ridiculous to credit—how are Bees going to sound taking on Hammers & Wolves & Spurs? (well, actually they might do ok there—“lads, it’s Tottenham”).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2021 3:56 PM

It’s too gay to support Brighton, isn’t it? It’s too gay.

Plus I hate seagulls. I was divebombed by one as a kid at the seaside and never got over it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2021 6:47 PM

Forgot to include West Brom in the poll! They’re actually one of my nearest local big clubs, but shamefully I’ve never bothered to have a close look at them.

Hmmm, their vibe seems healthy and positive. They finally came up to the Prem last year along with Leeds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2021 10:43 PM

Wolverhampton are another team close by me geographically, and they are reported to be entertaining and passionate as a midtable club.

However, looking over their fanclub boards their fanbase seem a bit homophobic. And they seem to hate your fantasy boyfriend and mine Jack Grealish, which is unacceptable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 8:44 AM

Most of you are saying West Ham. How come? My old shameful fave Frank Lampard used to play for them long ago, so there’s that.

Southampton & Palace have also got a few votes from DL, but I assume that’s because they are the poshest and prettiest sounding names.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 8:19 PM

Leicester City!

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 8:53 PM

R7 ‘Jamie Vardy is having a party....’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 8:56 PM

R7 well, I do love Foxes. Only rural ones, though; the scabby urban types aren’t so lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2021 10:08 AM

West Brom was relegated at the end of last season R4, they're back in the Championship.'

Everton not included as a poll choice? Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2021 11:43 AM

Wanker Alert!! #2 It's not Brentwood, it's BRENTFORD.

It's not about the kit, or how the players fill their shorts, it's about the spirit & how they play, you dolt.

Doubt you're English, but if you are you'll know what I mean when I say you've got Victoria Sponge crumbs on your chin, you Cottager, you..

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2021 11:50 AM

[quote] Everton not included as a poll choice? Hmmmm.

R10 errr yeah about that...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2021 12:44 PM

R11 typo on my part. Wrote the poll when I was slightly banjoed and only realised the spelling mistake a day later. Also, given I don’t follow Championship, I had no idea who they were until last week. Sorry to Brentford, no disrespect meant to the lads😆

Afraid to say I am actually English and with a basic reasonable intelligence; I’m just very out of the loop of the game. It’s been a few years since I followed the football closely; mostly because life & finances got in the way, and a bit due to the fact the late 2010s Premier League was the most tedious overdone ticky-tacky shite to watch (and that’s being kind). But now everyone’s saying that for some reason the League is picking up and looking fun again (maybe due to La Liga & Bundesliga taking a nosedive), plus the recent Euros have everyone back in the mood for it, so I thought now might be a timely moment to jump back in. Also I’m currently trying for a career/job change, and it is such soul-crushing activity that I need a consuming distraction, and I find football does the trick for me (following Chelsea in the mid-late 2000s got me through a hellish school experience). My father is a Man United stalwart, the rest of my family either West Brom or Chelsea, and I grew up seeing games on telly as a tiny toddler. So I know very well what the sport is all about, ta. If I make jokes about the players’ looks or kits, it’s just in the spirit of flesh-and-fashion obsessed DL.

Really I’m not really looking at following any of the Big Six clubs, for the same reason as I’m eschewing Chelsea—too much obvious corruption to overlook. Yes, I know the whole League is complicit and benefits from said corruption, but it’s nicer not having it shoved in one’s face as the billionaire owners tend to do. If it weren’t for my wobbly sensitivity when it comes to that, I’d be a Man City fan just so’s I had a weekly excuse to admire John Stones’ face, or a Liverpool fan so I could enjoy Jordan Henderson doing manful heroic things.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2021 12:57 PM

Are there any English teams that are still owned by the English? I’d start there.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2021 12:58 PM

[quote] any English teams that are still owned by the English?

R14 well, in the current PL that would only leave Brighton, Newcastle, Stam & Spurs. Arguably and technically Crystal Palace & Everton for half a point each as well, if we’re counting split ownership. Burnley had always had Brit owners until last year when an American bought them; overwhelmingly, PL clubs are owned by American backers (8 or 9 clubs, at last count?). Middle Eastern & Chinese investors are also creeping in, which probably only spells certain doom.

In the subsequent lower tiers: just under half of the EFL owners are English, and the same is true of League One (did you know that former Disney exec Michael Eisner owns Portsmouth? I didn’t until I looked it up just now). However, League Two still has a majority of English owners, more or less 90%—obviously CEOs with millions to play with are not that arsed about buying and backing the likes of Cambridge United, Newport County FC or Swindon Town.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2021 1:22 PM

the struggles of Harry Kane are apparently so bad right now that he literally wants Spurs to sell him to like Brighton Hove Albion tomorrow for £40 M&S vouchers and a packet of Wrigleys chewing gum😔

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2021 9:55 AM

Here we go again. This is for the Dumb & Dolt.

Brentford is owned my Matthew Benham, ENGLISHMAN. He has been a Bees supporter since childhood.

Built them the new stadium Brentford Community Stadium, to replace much loved old wreck Griffin Park. Had a pub @ each corner, only one in UK w. this thirst quenching claim.

Brentford was in the Top Division, known as the First Division just before & after WW2. So, this promotion to the PL is pretty awesome.

Now as to those who say 'Oh the Bees' what a lame name compared to Wolves, Spurs, etc. Remember your science, No Bees no food.

PS. The Bees just signed a 6'6" blonde adonis center back. I'd hit it!

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2021 1:12 PM

[quote] The Bees just signed a 6'6" blonde Adonis center-back

And no half-naked pics to back up that statement? R17 must be new here.

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2021 3:27 PM

[quote] Brentford was in the Top Division, known as the First Division, just before & after WW2.

Interesting. First Division lore is so wild to me, especially comparing it to Premier League. The hierarchy has changed so much.

In the 1946-7 season of the Football League (the season of fateful relegation for Brentwood, sorry), Liverpool won the League (their 5th cup) and Manchester came second in points, which isn’t a remarkable result in today’s landscape. The clubs who followed them in points, however, are none of other ‘Big Six’ clubs—Wolves came 3rd in the table, followed by Stoke, Blackpool, Sheffield United, and Preston North End (who today barely cling on to their place in the EFL, let alone qualify for the Premier League). Furthermore, despite coming 19th in the table, Charlton Athletic still won the FA Cup that season. Truly they were different times.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2021 11:10 AM

Solskjaer just got hammered in a pre-season against QPR hahahahaha

fuck being a Man United fan tbh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2021 5:18 PM

Once again with the Brentwood. Its BRENTFORD. As in the ford of the River Brent (The River Brent is a river in west and northwest London, England, and a tributary of the River Thames. 17.9 miles in length, it rises in the Borough of Barnet and flows in a generally south-west direction before joining the Tideway stretch of the Thames at Brentford). Sheesh!

Also, I am no one's personal internet search agent. If you want to see photos of Kris Ajer..do it yourself.

As to the old days. Check out the stats for First Division of Arsenal during that time period. The first PL game is BrenFORD v. Arsenal, old history there, will be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2021 3:36 AM

R21 nice trivia, thanks. Truly the Thames is the hardest river in England.

But really mate, you’re getting wound up deliberately by autocorrect. Just take this thread off watch, pop a vike, and go and have a sit down somewhere before your heart explodes, yeah?

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2021 8:49 AM

Not me psychically whispering to Hendo asking him to leave Liverpool and come to a non-B6 club so I can stan him🤫

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2021 9:02 AM

Go Bees!! BRENTFORD (not wood) tied Manure in friendly today. Of course Manure had to hack down one of Bees when things weren't going as planned. Thought they were going to roll right over the Bees. Ha Ha! Got stung. Hammers next.

by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2021 10:45 PM

Absolutely creasing me that no-one has voted for Leeds. Of course fucking not.

As a teen I went to a few of the festivals, and that was enough of Leeds for me mate.

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2021 10:53 PM

[quote] Of course Manure had to hack down one of Bees when things weren't going as planned.

R24 Man United have always played like dirty shitkicking little scumbags with no touch. Fergie used to dress it up as ‘psychology’, but really they’re no better than Burnley or an EFL team in that regard. No style, no skill, no class—just pure grinding down of the opposition. It’s why glamourous show-pony Becks had to leave (though even he succumbed to their rude ethic).

And I love that they aren’t winning titles or making the Top Four anymore, and that even as they buy expensive players and run shapes with a fury still they’re slowly sinking down the table with horror; the hubris is delicious.

Now, I’m no great fan of Liverpool or Everton or Man City, but I can acknowledge that those teams always did have something else to go on than just kicking lumps out the opposition and chatting shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2021 8:33 AM

Have to love the fan spirit of Liverpool. They love their team full stop but without the hooliganism of Manure or even Chelsea.

Feel like Everton just can't get a break(latest stuff w. their player.accused of sexual weirdness...ouch!), so always root for them.

But my heart belongs to the Bees! Such a major deal..waiting till 1947 to come back up. How nice if there is some old boy who got to see them go up before he dies.

So, its Go Bees!! for me

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2021 7:36 PM

Native Scouse LFC fans are adorable in their infectious enthusiasm and bubbly chattiness. They don’t half spout, though! (and I still wouldn’t cross one....)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2021 8:18 PM

r27 - Liverpool fans love their team WITHOUT the hooliganism? It's Liverpool fans who got English teams kicked out of Europe and more recently attacking other teams coaches, shooting fireworks at a building starting a fire (building owned by Everton's owner) For me you don't get much worse fan behaviour in the PL than the Kopites

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2021 9:20 PM

[quote] shooting fireworks at a building starting a fire (building owned by Everton's owner)

R29 sometimes the very existence of terminally-unlucky Everton just makes you want to weep into your hands, doesn’t it? They’re such Calamity Janes.

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2021 10:49 AM

Not going to support LFC (tempting as Hendo is), but nevertheless I’m proud of the fact that today I conceptualised a football hooligan Drag King persona called Virgin van Dijk.

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2021 10:54 AM

Pep still on his tradesies bullshit at the dirty oil club. I hate it here😖

Poor Aguero....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2021 8:17 AM

For context, Guardiola has spent £1bn in just 4 years on 64 players, half of which he didn’t even use. Ridiculous spending and ridiculous turnover. Asset-stripping and pricing out everyone else in your League as well as your fans is not how you run a football club well or sustainably.

Hope those police investigations into his shady backroom deals bear some fruit..

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2021 10:23 PM

messi leaving barca, real madrid releasing an official statement 10 minutes later (just for it to be about bookkeeping), grealish signing with city for 6 years, kane moving into a trailer in florida, juventus women posting their player being racist on socials, and liverpool literally not having a kit ready, all in the same week. what’s good

by Anonymousreply 34August 5, 2021 10:05 PM

actually I will ever let go Jack....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 6, 2021 9:44 AM

Brentford..No loses in any of their friendlies. This Friday first real match v. Arsenal.

Turns out there are few old boys who were kids & saw Brenrford the last time they were up in 1947. How lovely is that..

Go Bees!! Umm & a few of the lads are sweeter than honey!!

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2021 5:36 PM

AFC Richmond

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2021 5:45 PM

R37 if only they were a real team! They’d be mid-table at least in the actual current Prem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 10, 2021 9:18 AM

Bielsa is the most interesting coach in the EPL. Plus everyone has almost Millwall level historical bad blood with them. I’m a Kopite, but I respect Leeds.

by Anonymousreply 39August 10, 2021 9:53 AM

R39 Leeds have the gorgeous Kalvin Phillips, lucky bastards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 13, 2021 10:24 AM

@the Brentford troll—do you fancy yourselves vs. Arsenal tonight?

Aubameyang & Lacazette aren’t playing (they’re ‘injured’ i.e. pulling a Kane and holding out for transfers), so that helps you out a bit. Plus you’ve got the home ground advantage, and the underdog new-kid-with-something-to-prove momentum behind you. On paper, it’s the kind of banana-skin that Arsenal being Arsenal are likely to trip on.

There again, you’ve got injuries in Dasilva & Jensen, the Gunners’ rising star Ben White will probably start, and Arsenal are unbeaten in their last seven games (five wins, two draws. Not to mention, history isn’t on your side—in a bit of unbelievable synchronicity, Brentford’s very last match in the Prem (in 1947...) was a 1-0 loss vs. Arsenal....

Rooting for your Bees, though I’m not a supporter. It’s such a romantic story you’ve got going—50th team to join the League, first to open the 30th season, and all in such times as these.

by Anonymousreply 41August 13, 2021 1:37 PM

Go Bees, here ..How the hell do you think I am?

Biting my nails. Having to watch on Telly in US(Grateful those wankers have it on). Counting the time till it's on. Trying to stay busy to distract myself. Sending waves of hate to that bunch at Arsenal.

Saw Bees CRUSH Nott.@ Griffin Park, first live match in London. Bus ride home filled w. Bees supporters singing & joyful. Good times.

Thanks for your interest & support. Bees fans are magical.

by Anonymousreply 42August 13, 2021 1:52 PM

[quote] How the hell do you think I am? Biting my nails. Counting the time till it's on. Trying to stay busy to distract myself.

This is exactly how I felt all the way through Euro 2020. Never before had I experienced a summer of sport that anxiety-inducing and exhilarating.

Chin up, your boys are going to do magnificently win or lose.

by Anonymousreply 43August 13, 2021 2:01 PM

Yeah, the Euros..don't remind me. Oh God, broke my poor little heart, so close so damn close. Poor Saka.

Yes, the Bees will be loved by the fans no matter what...But God(please please please..I'll be good all week..promise) a win would be AWESOME

by Anonymousreply 44August 13, 2021 2:09 PM

Too agitated here, meant Norwich not Nott.

Yes, Bees did loose last game to Ars., but check the complete record of Bees v. Ars.

by Anonymousreply 45August 13, 2021 2:30 PM

carragher on sky sports fucking ripping in to arsenal for that goal!!!! then calling them bullied weakling boys against men!!! lmao gwan jamie lad

by Anonymousreply 46August 13, 2021 9:08 PM

OMG: Brentford 2 Arsenal 0. Brentford top of the league.

Best moment?? Brentford fans giving Saka a standing ovation when he came on as a sub. Camera showing Brentford fans standing next to of a huge sign saying 'Bees Against Racism'. Manager & players giving Woody super loyal fan who has downs syndrome & just had brain surgery some love. 88 year old fan who saw their last game against Arsenal in 1947. Seeing loads of older fans with tears in their eyes at the end singing..Hey Brentford. Well, just to be a bit snarky, Seeing Arsenal fans leave early.

Go Bees..CP next..Let's crush em'

by Anonymousreply 47August 13, 2021 9:10 PM

R47 that’s genuinely really touching and inspiring. It was a well-deserved victory, and almost everyone else in the League is so chuffed for the Bees and their fans. Onward and upward, eh?

by Anonymousreply 48August 13, 2021 11:22 PM

Chelsea are the favourites to challenge City for the League this season, followed by Man United. Besides that, Villa & Leeds & Leicester are tipped to stay up in the table or even climv, while the likes of Spurs & Everton & Arsenal are expected to sink. Liverpool are in question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 13, 2021 11:25 PM

Go Bees, yes.. CP next...Hope its televised here as well.

Stateside so we don't get Sky Sports, so thanks for the update on what Carragher said. Made me LMAO too!!

by Anonymousreply 50August 14, 2021 12:36 AM

Brendan Rodgers says that his medical staff inform him COVID “isn’t contagious”. No words.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2021 12:59 AM

Kane is a KUNT

by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2021 3:33 PM

R52 yes, and a lazy spoiled expensive cunt at that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 15, 2021 4:33 PM

Spurs v. Manshitty..Yes, they were shitty. Not a fan of either, but loved that Kane was in stands to see Spurs don't need him. Traitor. Raised up thru the ranks of the Spurs & wants to leave. Kunt Kane. Loved fans singin..Are you watching Kane' as Spurs did better & better.

Grealish the same. Glad to see Manshitty lose on Grealish's debut. Looked like a prat w. that hair. Like a Lhasa. Then when they were losing he turned Milk/Hall monitor crying to ref. He's another traitor raised thru Villa & get too big for his boots & leaves, another cunt.

I'm old school. Look at Gerard @ Liverpool. Stayed w. gratitude where he was raised. I know one in a milliom. But how much $$$ do these cunts need. Kane & Grealish don't have enough. Hope that both have shit seasons.

And the best gift, Thank you Grealish My Brentford Bees are alove Man shitty in the table!! Go Bees!!

by Anonymousreply 54August 15, 2021 5:35 PM

[quote] Glad to see Manshitty lose on Grealish's debut.

Mate, I know what you mean. Fuck C*ty wankers and their toxic blood money. It’s always so satisfying to see them bottle it, and prove that throwing money at a problem isn’t a guarantee of anything. It speaks volumes that they were first in line for the Super League...

Though, strictly and technically-speaking I must point out that this match wasn’t Jack’s debut. He came on for last week’s Community Shield loss to Leicester.

[quote] Jack looked like a prat w. that hair. Like a Lhasa. Then when they were losing he turned Milk/Hall monitor crying to ref. He's another traitor raised thru Villa & get too big for his boots & leaves, another cunt.

Grealish is prone to using his questionable charms to get his way, and I predict that is going to rile some of his teammates before long. That said, refereeing the game isn’t exactly a new phenomenon invented by Millennial show-ponies; I can still remember Jamie Carragher doing the same back in the ‘00s Prem.

As for Jack....his hair is iconic and it does suit his face, even if it is the most attention-seeking Spiceboy style he could possibly choose. He’s a prettyboy and a flash cunt, that’s what they do. It’s shallow to admit this, but honestly I prefer Jack to Kane because at least Jack is entertaining and gives us something sexy to look at during awful matches with awful teams.

Jack he has wanted to leave Villa for anywhere else that would take him since 2014, and has made no secret of the fact. I will concede that the speed and desperation with which he made this particular move is tacky and off-putting, and the price-tag for which he sold is obscene and tone-deaf in this economy. But to say that he owes Villa his entire life and a blood-debt and his first-born just because he went to the Academy and made the Captaincy is too extreme. AVFC were relying on him too much and dragging him down, frankly, and even if he is a pigshit thick footballer cunt he has the same right as anyone to a self-interested promotion.

[quote] I'm old school. Look at Gerard @ Liverpool. Stayed w. gratitude where he was raised.

Fair play to Stevie sticking it out to the bitter end, but by now we know the truth is that he actually didn’t want to stay that long. During the last several years of his career, he got offers from all corners, and the one he was entertaining and came close to accepting came from Chelsea. Gerrard could see himself playing under Mou and alongside several of his England teammates (foremost Frank Lampard), and was a hair’s breadth from requesting a transfer, until the Scouse mafia (affiliated with Alex Curran’s drug dealer...) caught wind of the proposal and went round to Stevie’s to ‘convince’ him to stay.

by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2021 5:58 PM

ooh thanks for that gossip about Gerard, guess I drank his Kool-Aide. Still hate Grealish & Kane.

I'm just a romantic & want someone to be loyal, but I will just have to keep basking in the romance of My Brentford Bees. Don't I sound sweet..Hope they CRUSH Palace. Whoops went back to Normal Vicious Fan

by Anonymousreply 56August 15, 2021 6:33 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 15, 2021 7:32 PM

varane announcement, sancho debut, mason greenwood❤️, bruno hatrick, pogba monsterclass, leeds disasterclass, benrahma goal, city loss w/kane not playing but in the stands getting abuse, what a fucking kickoff weekend mate

by Anonymousreply 58August 15, 2021 9:25 PM

And Brentford beat Arsenal!!! They are also(for the moment above Manshitty in the table. A wonderful weekend, indeed!!

by Anonymousreply 59August 15, 2021 9:48 PM

genuinely obsessed with brighton winning exactly nine games every single season they’ve been in the prem.

just nine. every year. no more, no less, rarely in the beginning or end of a season. its such freaky synchronicity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 16, 2021 7:14 PM

It’s just been alleged that back in the 1980s & 1990s Chelsea FC coaches were getting away with physically assaulting black youth players (presumably to drum them out of the game). It’s said that cases of these attacks went to the High Court, but were quickly hushed up and thrown out...

Every year, I feel worse and more guilty for having once long ago been a Chelsea fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 19, 2021 3:09 PM

[quote] Gerard, guess I drank his Kool-Aide

Yeah, me too—uh, I mean—what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 25, 2021 2:21 PM

Who have we got for the top of the Prem table 2021 then?

Personally I think Chelsky will nick 1st place from C*tty, though I really want Liverpool to do it again (they’ll actually end up coming 3rd I reckon).

In 4th I can’t decide—either Man United (though I think they’ll struggle hard to hold it and I want them to struggle), Stam, Leeds, Wolves or Villa (who have something to prove now...).

Though if I had my way in a fantasy world, it would be Burnley, Newcastle and Brentford in the upper half of the table instead...

by Anonymousreply 63August 25, 2021 7:15 PM

A Yank rooting for Brentford to stay up in the premier league. On my one and only visit to England, I used priceline to book a hotel. I searched for London and got a bargain for a hotel within X miles of the city. Plus the hotel was a decent walk to the train station. Penny wise and pound foolish, I booked the deal. Only after booking it was revealed Brentford was the location of this "London" hotel. Again, being penny foolish, I stuck with the bargain. As it turns out, Brentford was pleasant and the train trip into London was fine but obviously it wasn't the London experience I had imagined. In any case, based on this very tenuous connection to the town, I will be rooting for Brentford, whomever they play.

It is odd to think of this small place as home to team in the multi-billion football league. But it seems this is the case for the smaller teams in England and it's one of the charming quirks of English football.

by Anonymousreply 64August 25, 2021 9:35 PM

R64 North London is alright. Certainly not as dangerous, seedy, decrepit and depressing as South or East London.

The Capital is mostly a shithole, though, with a few hyper-gentrified areas that sold out to foreign investors.

by Anonymousreply 65August 26, 2021 8:29 AM

OK Yank rooting for Brentford, loving called the Bees. As in 'Go Bees!' They are the best. Little, but mighty..Just like a bee. All these rich clubs who think they are soo bloody 'ard, get a bee down your pants & see how 'ard you are.

The fans are everything @ Brentford. Loyal with a capital L for days. Some old boys waited 74 years to see them go up into the top league again. Imagine that staying with a team for 74years. Seeing some old boys w. tears in their eye at the first game..And they won against Arsenal who 74 years before beat them in their last game in the top league...

Next game this SAt. against the Villains(Aston Villa). Go Bees.

by Anonymousreply 66August 26, 2021 1:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!