Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Here are the Oscar nominees for Best Picture 2022

Looks like Lady Gaga is getting her 2nd Oscar nomination and might even win this time. Here are the top10:

1. "House of Gucci"

DIRECTOR: Ridley Scott

SYNOPSIS: The story of how Patrizia Reggiani, the ex-wife of Maurizio Gucci, plotted to kill her husband, the grandson of renowned fashion designer Guccio Gucci.

STARRING: Lady Gaga, Adam Driver, Al Pacino, Salma Hayek, Jared Leto, Jack Huston, Jeremy Irons

2. "The Power of the Dog" (Netflix)

DIRECTOR: Jane Campion

SYNOPSIS: A pair of brothers who own a large ranch in Montana are pitted against each other when one of them gets married.

STARRING: Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons, Thomasin McKenzie, Kodi Smit-McPhee

3. "Don't Look Up" (Netflix)

DIRECTOR: Adam McKay

SYNOPSIS: The story of two low-level astronomers, who must go on a giant media tour to warn mankind of an approaching comet that will destroy planet earth.

STARRING: Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Cate Blanchett, Rob Morgan, Meryl Streep, Jonah Hill, Timothée Chalamet, Ariana Grande, Himesh Patel, Matthew Perry, Tyler Perry, Ron Perlman, Chris Evans, Mark Rylance, Michael Chiklis

4. "The Tragedy of Macbeth" (A24/Apple TV Plus)

DIRECTOR: Joel Coen

SYNOPSIS: A Scottish lord becomes convinced by a trio of witches that he will become the next King of Scotland, and his ambitious wife supports him in his plans of seizing power.

STARRING: Denzel Washington, Frances McDormand, Brendan Gleeson, Corey Hawkins, Sean Patrick Thomas, Ralph Ineson, Brian Thompson

5. "King Richard" (Warner Bros)

DIRECTOR: Reinaldo Marcus Green

SYNOPSIS: A look at how tennis superstars Venus and Serena Williams became who they are after the coaching from their father Richard Williams.

STARRING: Will Smith, Aunjanue Ellis, Jon Bernthal, Saniyya Sidney, Demi Singleton, Tony Goldwyn, Dylan McDermott

6. "Nightmare Alley" (Searchlight Pictures)

DIRECTOR: Guillermo del Toro

SYNOPSIS: An ambitious carny with a talent for manipulating people with a few well-chosen words hooks up with a female psychiatrist who is even more dangerous than he is.

STARRING: Bradley Cooper, Rooney Mara, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, David Strathairn, Willem Dafoe, Ron Perlman, Mary Steenburgen, Holt McCallany, Clifton Collins Jr, Richard Jenkins, Tim Blake Nelson

7. "Being the Ricardos" (Amazon Studios)

DIRECTOR: Aaron Sorkin

SYNOPSIS: Follows Lucy and Desi as they face a crisis that could end their careers and another that could end their marriage.

STARRING: Javier Bardem, Nicole Kidman, J.K. Simmons, Nina Arianda, Alia Shawkat, Jake Lacy, Clark Gregg, Tony Hale

8. "Blue Bayou" (Focus Features)

DIRECTOR: Justin Chon

SYNOPSIS: As a Korean-American man raised in the Louisiana bayou works hard to make a life for his family, he must confront the ghosts of his past as he discovers that he could be deported from the only country he has ever called home.

STARRING: Justin Chon, Alicia Vikander, Mark O'Brien, Emory Cohen

9. "CODA" (Apple TV Plus)

DIRECTOR: Sian Heder

SYNOPSIS: As a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) Ruby is the only hearing person in her deaf family. When the family's fishing business is threatened, Ruby finds herself torn between pursuing her love of music and her fear of abandoning her parents.

STARRING: Emilia Jones, Troy Kotsur, Daniel Durant, Marlee Matlin, John Fiore, Eugenio Derbez, Ferdia Walsh-Peelo, Amy Forsyth, Kevin Chapman

10. "Encanto" (Walt Disney Pictures)

DIRECTOR: Jared Bush, Byron Howard, Charise Castro Smith (co-director)

SYNOPSIS: A young Colombian girl has to face the frustration of being the only member of her family without magical powers.

STARRING: Stephanie Beatriz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 27, 2021 4:53 PM

I refuse to concede an Adam McCay film will get an oscar nomination. I, and Twitter, really, really hate him.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2021 9:22 PM

Best Actress contenders:

Lady Gaga - House of Gucci

Jennifer Hudson - Respect

Frances McDormand - Tragedy of Macbeth

Olivia Colman - The Lost Daughter

Nicole Kidman - Being the Ricardos

Jessica Chastain - The Eyes of Tammy Faye

Karen Grassle - Not to Forget

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2021 9:27 PM

Karen Grassle from Little House on the Prairie?? I thought she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2021 9:30 PM

I see Fraud Fraud's publicist has found DL.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2021 9:33 PM

[quote] Frances McDormand - Tragedy of Macbeth

No thank you! I mean, I'm sure it will happen, but I am so sick of seeing this woman nominated over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2021 9:34 PM

Early reports suggest the only thing Don't Look Up will get is a possible screenplay nomination for McKay and maybe an acting nomination for DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2021 9:35 PM

Bitch, please. Not only is the year barely half over; we hardly had any films in its first half! Also more than a bit of a stretch to be citing Ridley Scott's Gucci biopic as some sort of "guaranteed Oscar," at least if you remember he's made all of one decent film in the past decade, alongside a slew of shitfests like the two "Alien" prequels.

Also, this list is way too white – at a time when the Academy is rather obviously still going out of its way to bestow accolades to Black, Latinx and Asian actors/filmmakers (Frances McDormand excepted). Guess Variety still hasn't gotten that memo.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2021 9:37 PM

So we'll be getting more of Adam Driver? Uh that's great.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2021 9:40 PM

So a bunch of films and performances no one has seen yet are getting all the nominations? Yeah, that totally makes sense and isn’t artificial buzz at all.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2021 9:45 PM

Why, R1? What's wrong with McKay?

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2021 9:51 PM

I had no idea Guillermo del Toro has remade Nightmare Alley. I just watched the original starring Tyrone Power yesterday and it was phenomenal. It was nearly a perfect film noir except that stupid Hollywood ending. Helen Walker should've received an Oscar nomination for her performance as the corrupt psychologist.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2021 9:59 PM

I want to like this performance, and it seems she could be on the way to a nomination, despite it being a little too "Oh, golly, gosh, dontcha know!" I hope it's a fantastic movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2021 10:02 PM

I will believe the Academy’s “inclusive” outreach when someone like Ranveer Singh is nominated for Best Actor.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2021 10:13 PM

These all look awful with the possible exception of the Guillermo del Toro flick and the Macbeth.

Kidman as Lucy? No.

Gaga? The delectable Adam Driver aside, No.

Chastain as Tammy Faye? No. There was only one Tammy Faye.

This list is decidedly MEH.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2021 10:15 PM

No TWOC?

Prepare to die.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2021 10:23 PM

Simon Rex vs Adam Driver for Best Actor. Talk about a dick-measuring contest.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2021 10:28 PM

R3, ironically, while Karen Grassle is still alive, two of her co-stars in this movie are not: Olympia Dukakis and Cloris Leachman.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2021 10:39 PM

R17 They could get posthumous supporting nominations.

Tatum O Neal is in it and could get oscar nominated as well.

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2021 10:42 PM

It seems too early, but at least it gives time for McDormand to change the oil in her hair.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2021 10:50 PM

'Not to Forget' looks like classic DL fodder. How are we just hearing about this? And/or, when was it filmed since Olympia and Cloris were in it? The cast is full of DL faves like the above two, Tatum, & George Chakiris. And Louis Gossett, Jr!

Update: A quick Google search shows it was filmed in the fall of 2019 in Kentucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2021 10:52 PM

r14 Why are you so hateful ? Are you like this in real life ? Throwing tantrums and bitching about everything everytime. SAD.

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2021 10:54 PM

I love Jessica Chastain so much. I really think she can do anything so I'm going to reserve judgment. And definitely (!) Not To Forget sounds fabulous. (RIP Cloris and Olympia) I'm also amazed that I haven't heard of so many of these. Gaga probably knows this is a do or die role for her and it sounds like perfect casting. Can't wait to see all the films. There's a lot there. Something to look forward to.

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2021 11:05 PM

[quote]8. "Blue Bayou" (Focus Features)

I couldn't make it through the trailer & Viklander's southern accent is *terrible!*

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2021 11:15 PM

If they give that ugly NomadDormand a 4th best actress win, I think I'm just gonna kill myself.

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2021 11:16 PM

Three BA Oscars are too many…this is…offensive

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2021 11:18 PM

[quote] [R14] Why are you so hateful ? Are you like this in real life ? Throwing tantrums and bitching about everything everytime. SAD.

1. I'm not, this was fairly mild by DL standards.

2. Um.. yes?

3. No, no and no.

4. I'm sorry you're sad. Cheer up buttercup and have a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2021 11:27 PM

I also like Jessica Chastain. In the movie trailer, she does a really passable Tammy Faye Bakker. I was definitely a Tammy Faye fan after she divorced Jim and got far away from the televangelist route. A fascinating lady who died too soon.

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2021 11:32 PM

R25: Bitch, you have 2 BA wins one of which you stole from me!!!

by Anonymousreply 28July 18, 2021 11:35 PM

"Also, this list is way too white – at a time when the Academy is rather obviously still going out of its way to bestow accolades to Black, Latinx and Asian actors/filmmakers"

Not quite.

In case you did not notice, there's been nothing but inclusion in the last few award seasons and guess what? American audiences - in the form of the box office and streaming services - did not give a shit. Award show ratings have plummeted because no one saw the films and loathed the phony emphasis on diversity above entertainment

I am a 57 year old white gay man and I don't think I have even seen Regina Belle in any films. Last year I saw the Viola Davis film and the Frances McDormand movie. Nothing else was of any interest to me or anyone else I know.

Besides, there will.be diversity this year - you just know Lin-Manuel will get his EGOT this year for that Disney film.

by Anonymousreply 29July 18, 2021 11:38 PM

If G and M sucked more cocks, they would have as many Oscars as I do.

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2021 11:38 PM

[Quote]Award show ratings have plummeted because no one saw the films and loathed the phony emphasis on diversity above entertainment

Hon, TV ratings for everything are down r29. This includes all award shows. Watching live TV at a scheduled time has become less and less a thing.

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2021 11:40 PM

I know sweetie, but those shows have tried to get back audiences and their ratings decline is way beyond what every other show has experienced.

by Anonymousreply 32July 18, 2021 11:43 PM

Gaga is not a movie star. She should go away.

by Anonymousreply 33July 18, 2021 11:48 PM

Gaga might be able to pull it off with Ridley Scott reining her in.

by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2021 11:53 PM

They better nominate some popular films and stars or their ratings will be in the tank again.

by Anonymousreply 35July 18, 2021 11:56 PM

No "CRUELLA"?

Then this is a CRAPPY list!!!!

by Anonymousreply 36July 18, 2021 11:58 PM

Nightmare Alley has some of my favorite actors and actress: David Strathairn, Ron Perlman, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins, and Toni Collette. Awesome.

I don’t care for Bradley Cooper or Rooney Mara, but what can you do?

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2021 12:15 AM

Forgive me if I steer this thread slightly off-topic. Are Criterion DVDs superior enough to be worth the premium price? It's not like I have an in-home theater system or lots of spare cash, but the original Nightmare Alley looks interesting.

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2021 12:22 AM

Yes r28 if you buy them right now at Barnes and Noble - it is their semi-annual Criterion half price sale.

Although some say the regular dvd from Fox more accurately captures the darkness of the black and white photography.

Every.time I see the film, I notice a way in which the filmmakers got something past the Hays Code censors.

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2021 12:40 AM

The thought of Rooney Mara keeps me away from anything she's in. Her sister is tolerable.

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2021 12:54 AM

Bradley Cooper in the Tyrone Power role is major miscast. One of the reasons why Tyrone worked so well in Nightmare Alley is because his character used his looks and charm to manipulate and con people throughout the story until he finally met his match. Cooper simply doesn't have the sex appeal or charisma to do the role justice.

Richard Jenkins and Cate Blanchett are pitch-perfect casting, though.

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2021 1:52 AM

I sincerely hope Lady Gaga is excellent in it. I thought she was just OK in ASIB but this really is an amazing opportunity for her.

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2021 3:47 AM

Movies? In theaters? Do they still have that?

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2021 3:59 AM

Chastain seems a bit too sedate (likes she always is) as Tammy Faye.

I think that one won't make much of a splash.

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2021 4:05 AM

r44 shut up, shitstain troll.

by Anonymousreply 45July 19, 2021 4:06 AM

Not everyone is a troll r45. Don't be so paranoid. (is there a Jessica Chastain troll? Seems like an obscure person to troll.)

by Anonymousreply 46July 19, 2021 4:08 AM

Will it be held in a bus depot again. I mean can you imagine a bus station?

I've never been to one and I don't intend to start now.

by Anonymousreply 47July 19, 2021 4:26 AM

Variety puts "Tick, Tick....Boom!" at #11, so it has a great chance at a nomination, as does Lin-Manuel Miranda.

West Side Story is at #14, but I can't imagine that it would be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2021 4:33 AM

These lists are so stupid when no one has even seen the films.

by Anonymousreply 49July 19, 2021 4:34 AM

[quote] The Tragedy of Macbeth" STARRING Denzel Washington

This can't be right. I don't think desultory Denzel is capable of speaking complete sentences with more than ten syllables.

The version with Fassbender completely failed because his mumblings were inaudible behind all the thumping wind and rain sound effects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 19, 2021 4:50 AM

I'm sure Encanto will be a beautifully rendered film. And LMM is having his moment right now (although the shine is starting to wear off a little). So it will probably walk away with Best Animated Feature.

Which is a shame, because The Mitchell's vs. the Machines was fantastic. The animation was creative and the story was clever. It had rapid-fire pacing, lots of humor and a good message. If I were an Academy member, I would vote for it.

by Anonymousreply 51July 19, 2021 5:06 AM

[quote]The delectable Adam Driver aside, No.

"delectable"??

I've seen mandrills' asses that are more "delectable" than Adam Driver's homely puss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 19, 2021 5:11 AM

Toni Colette is playing the supporting role Joan Blondell was so wonderful playing in the 40s version of "Nightmare Alley," and I hope she'll be even better. I would love to see Colette win an Oscar--she is long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 53July 19, 2021 5:12 AM

Gaga's team is super smart in how they're shaping her acting career. A Star is Born was a no brainer. Now an Italian murderess with ties to a major fashion icon? Even if it isn't Oscar worthy (why do they even have these lists so early?) it will surely be loads of fun. And it's just screams Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 54July 19, 2021 5:18 AM

Mercy r52, that face looks put together with odd pieces from a Mr. Potato Head set.

And you made me scream with laughter.

by Anonymousreply 55July 19, 2021 5:19 AM

Best Picture

Editor’s Picks:

Don’t Look Up (Netflix)

Soggy Bottom (MGM/UA)

The French Dispatch (Searchlight)

Nightmare Alley (Searchlight)

West Side Story (20th Century Studios)

Canterbury Glass (20th Century Studios)

The Power of The Dog (Netflix)

House of Gucci (MGM/UA)

Being The Ricardos (Amazon)

Eternals (Marvel Studios)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 19, 2021 5:35 AM

West Side Story------are the Puerto Rican actors dark enough or will this be another In the Heights controversy?

by Anonymousreply 57July 19, 2021 5:37 AM

Why doesn’t she start using her real name if she wants to be taken seriously. Lady Gaga was fine for when she was wearing a meat dress but she wants to be all grown up now.

by Anonymousreply 58July 19, 2021 5:40 AM

Didn't we just have the Oscars a few months ago?

by Anonymousreply 59July 19, 2021 5:41 AM

Will Al Pacino get another Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2021 5:41 AM

r58 initially she was going to use her real name on A Star is Born but then they switched back to Gaga. I think they were afraid no one would know who she was. It's hard to change your name once you are a public figure. It's why people like Susan Sarandon are stuck with their long ago ex-husband's name.

by Anonymousreply 61July 19, 2021 5:43 AM

I bet Gaga will kill it and win the Oscar. The Tammy Faye movie looks good too. Please, no Frances and no Nicole.

by Anonymousreply 62July 19, 2021 5:55 AM

R50 Marion didn’t fail in it!

by Anonymousreply 63July 19, 2021 6:09 AM

r1 = Boris the Nazi Incel, who simply hates the fact that McKay always calls out Republicans for their crimes and bullshit.

Exposing right-wing corruption just BURNS r1 up because he's pro-crime, pro-con artist and pro-Kampf. Sad loser thought his constant spamming of DL with right-wing propaganda would save Shitler, but now they're both Sad Losers kicked out of three branches of government power while r1 still doesn't have a job.

#EPICFAIL

by Anonymousreply 64July 19, 2021 6:20 AM

R51 Luca is also going to be in the running for Best Animated. It's not the best Pixar film ever made, but it's beautiful, fun, and better to look at than the Mitchells.

by Anonymousreply 65July 19, 2021 7:20 AM

[quote] initially she was going to use her real name on A Star is Born but then they switched back to Gaga. I think they were afraid no one would know who she was.

R51 The word gaga is used to describe a person who's demented or insane. Quite appropriate, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 66July 19, 2021 7:28 AM

[quote] I am a 57 year old white gay man and I don't think I have even seen [bold] Regina Belle [/bold] in any films

Ooh R29, gurll, you need to broaden your horizons and explore a bit. There's a whole new world out there. A dazzling place you never knew!

by Anonymousreply 67July 19, 2021 7:29 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing The Power of the Dog. I loved the book and think Jane Campion could do great things with it. There a four strong characters in the story, and a good script could give amazing opportunities to the actors.

by Anonymousreply 68July 19, 2021 7:50 AM

How can any of these be known already? Just because of big names? What if some of these movies will be terrible? Or the acting?

by Anonymousreply 69July 19, 2021 8:21 AM

For a director of his calibre, Ridley Scott hasn't generate many acting nominations from his films.

Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon, Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix, Ruby Dee, Matt Damon and Christopher Plummer.

Compare that to Clint Eastwood, Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg.

by Anonymousreply 70July 19, 2021 8:38 AM

I love Toni Collette and Del Toro, but B. Cooper and R. Mara? No thank You.

And who the hell keeps pushing fucking Gaga on us, I am still horrified by her G.G. win and Oscar nom.

by Anonymousreply 71July 19, 2021 9:05 AM

The quintessentially American Fran McD and Denzel in Macbeth? Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 72July 19, 2021 9:37 AM

Ha R67, yikes, what a mistake on my part. Obviously I meant Regina King. Not the lovely singer Regina Belle.

I am surprised no one else bothered to correct me! This place is sure changing.....as evidenced by all of these morons asking "how can you make these lists already the films haven't been released." Are you all so naive as to think the industry does not know, or at least suspect - even when in production - a film is a hit? One year before she won every actress Hollywood knew Emma Stone had the Oscar for Best Actress for La La Land.

Do you think they conceive Oscar campaigns in November and book film festivals the week before they open? If anything, these lists are late this year.

by Anonymousreply 73July 19, 2021 1:40 PM

Gaga is fun? I guess if rabid desperation is your thing.

by Anonymousreply 74July 19, 2021 2:18 PM

I loved Luca too, R65. It is a beautiful film, both in its artwork and in its sweet message about friendship and belonging.

But I loved the Mitchells as well. I found it to be very clever. I thought its commentary on social media and the way it incorporated the social media aesthetic into its artwork was very creative. I also loved that they included Talking Heads "(Nothing but) Flowers" in the soundtrack as a compliment to Rick Mitchell's desire for a world with less technology and more nature. The irony, of course, is that the narrator of the song ultimately misses "the honky tonks, Dairy Queens and 7-11s" and hates being stranded in the natural world.

by Anonymousreply 75July 19, 2021 4:40 PM

Both Frances and Meryl are strong contenders to win their 5th Oscar. Meryl is earning raves for her performance in Don't Look Now from audiences who've seen the movie. I think she's a lock for a supporting nomination. Leo could also win his 2nd Best Actor Oscar for the same film.

I think Hollywood would give Meryl a 5th Oscar before they would Frances.

by Anonymousreply 76July 19, 2021 8:53 PM

Meryl doesn't even have a fourth much less a fifth.

And another Best Supporting trophy for the so called "Greatest actress of all time"?

by Anonymousreply 77July 19, 2021 8:57 PM

Anybody but McDormand please

by Anonymousreply 78July 19, 2021 9:44 PM

This is either Gaga's or Chastain's year or may be for both (Gaga in supporting, Chastain in leading). The stars are aligning for them. I can feel it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 19, 2021 10:22 PM

No way is Lady Gaga going Supporting!

by Anonymousreply 80July 19, 2021 10:36 PM

Chastain is sort of like Meryl: click click click

by Anonymousreply 81July 19, 2021 11:41 PM

The Gucci movie will either horrifically bomb or land Gaga an Oscar nod. Ridley Scott is mostly misses with the occasional hit. I think Al Pacino and Jeremy Irons, the old farts, probably have minor supporting roles compared to say, Jared Leto (kill me now.....)

Bradley Cooper is a self loathing closet case who lacks any and all on screen charisma. Maybe PTA will be able to derive something from him?

Also Adam Driver has so many fucking movies coming up - Gucci, The Last Duel (another Ridley Scott), the new Leos Carax. Sure, he's a good actor when you stack him against the current crop of duds, but a poor imitator of the "unconventional" leading men of the 70s - Dustin Hoffman (especially), Al Pacino, Robert De Niro - that he is being pushed as the modern equivalent to.

by Anonymousreply 82July 19, 2021 11:52 PM

Ga Ga sticks in my craw craw.

by Anonymousreply 83July 19, 2021 11:52 PM

[quote] Are you all so naive as to think the industry does not know, or at least suspect - even when in production - a film is a hit?

1. You must obviously work in "the industry".

2. Any delusional person in "the industry" who ignores the audience is very foolish indeed.

3. Delusional people in "the industry" who ignore audiences need to be forced to watch the 'Cats' movie every night..

by Anonymousreply 84July 19, 2021 11:57 PM

[quote] Mercy [R52], that face looks put together with odd pieces from a Mr. Potato Head set.

Uh, you’re not supposed to use gendered pronouns for this or did you not get the memo from Hasbro? It’s just Potatx Head now. Or Mx. Potato Head.

by Anonymousreply 85July 20, 2021 12:05 AM

[quote] The quintessentially American Fran McD and Denzel in Macbeth? Yuck.

Wait, MacBeth is going to be black now? In 17th century England? Is this going to be like a Bridgerton thing?

by Anonymousreply 86July 20, 2021 12:08 AM

The Millennial SJWs will insist that the Scottish King Macbeth was descended from the Nubian Queen Anne Boleyn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 20, 2021 12:16 AM

Denzel Washington is a great actor but I don’t know if I can suspend my disbelief like that.

by Anonymousreply 88July 20, 2021 12:38 AM

I would like to see Frances win again. Plus another one before she retires. So she'll beat Hepburn as the greatest actress ever.

by Anonymousreply 89July 20, 2021 12:53 AM

I still can't bring myself to watch Nomadland because of that bucket scene I've heard talk of.

by Anonymousreply 90July 20, 2021 1:26 AM

The scene where she pours the bucket over her head like an ALS ice bucket challenge and wore it like a bucket hat?

by Anonymousreply 91July 20, 2021 1:28 AM

Ah fuck it who do I have to blow?

by Anonymousreply 92July 20, 2021 3:59 AM

I didn't like a single movie last year. I mean it might have been covid stress but everything seemed dull and overrated. Even all the Oscar winners and nominees.

by Anonymousreply 93July 20, 2021 4:01 AM

Do they do this list every year and how accurate is it when the films are actually released? I would like to know that. Does anyone know and have proof? I imagine with the Gucci film it will all depend on the script as Ridley is totally capable of making incredible films. I will be the first to see it. This will definitely stretch Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 94July 20, 2021 4:23 AM

I think I'd be a little afraid of being the front runner. Remember what happened with "A Star Is Born" a few years ago and the foregone conclusion that it would run away with all the Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 95July 20, 2021 4:29 AM

Gaga is caca.

by Anonymousreply 96July 20, 2021 4:29 AM

Yeah there are tons of websites and all the Hollywood trade papers do Oscar predictions all year round now. Tons of the films bomb and quickly plunge down the list.

G was considered a shoo-in for Hillbilly Elegy.

by Anonymousreply 97July 20, 2021 4:30 AM

Let's stick as many talentless, inappropriate-for-the-role "actors" as possible in a film to appease the "diversity" whingers.

by Anonymousreply 98July 20, 2021 4:40 AM

What a weird thing to be concerned about

by Anonymousreply 99July 20, 2021 4:42 AM

My friend who has done a bunch of British TV and had tiny roles in some Hollywood films like 3 lines maybe was invited to join the academy.

She was shocked. She joked that they must have needed more fat black women and they somehow found her.

by Anonymousreply 100July 20, 2021 4:43 AM

Gaga? No. Oh she might get nominated because the awards are a fucking joke and she will play the HW game because her only validation is awards. She’ll buy a nom. She’s not good. She played herself in that Bradley movie. Woah! She was laughable in AHS. This thread is meant to get the buzz going, though, because that’s what she needs and OP put her first on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 101July 20, 2021 4:46 AM

Glenn still made it in despite the awful reviews for the film and even a Razzie nomination, R97. That’s actually a testament to the power of early buzz.

by Anonymousreply 102July 20, 2021 4:47 AM

True r102. I think people also thought she got a raw deal as did the film. The critics were reviewing Trump not the movie.

by Anonymousreply 103July 20, 2021 4:49 AM

Here's one from a few years ago that didn't exactly pan out. They did get a few right though but not many.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 20, 2021 4:53 AM

They’ll forever push LGaga on us like Jennifer Hudson. Both are annoying asf and LGaga is so desperate to be seen as this huge star but she doesn’t resonate. For one, she’s too ugly and too try hard. It’s a turn off.

by Anonymousreply 105July 20, 2021 4:53 AM

[quote] It’s a turn off.

I’m turned off.

by Anonymousreply 106July 20, 2021 4:56 AM

I thought Gaga delivered in ASIB. That moment when she hits that big note in Shallow was worth the price of admission.

by Anonymousreply 107July 20, 2021 5:06 AM

R107 It was awful. Her voice is like a foghorn.

by Anonymousreply 108July 20, 2021 5:13 AM

nah r108

by Anonymousreply 109July 20, 2021 5:19 AM

I knew about 15 'Little Monsters'.

They now refuse to admit that they were 'Little Monsters'. Because they know now that they were being used.

The woman is a USER!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 20, 2021 5:27 AM

It feels incredibly strange that Serena and Venus Williams will be supporting characters in their own biopic.

by Anonymousreply 111July 20, 2021 6:01 AM

Oh no. I don't want another supporting. It's so humiliating. Last time I had to sit next to J-Lo. I was pulling body glitter out of my hair for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 112July 20, 2021 6:05 AM

"Don't Look Up" sounds annoyingly one-note. Basically, the Chicken Little story. The sky is falling. For two hours. No wonder they felt the need to puff it up with so many cameos. Barf. Some of the others sound interesting.

by Anonymousreply 113July 20, 2021 6:11 AM

I wouldn’t call Vice or especially The Big Short, one note, which Adam McKay directed previously. But whatever.

by Anonymousreply 114July 20, 2021 6:19 AM

Will Smith is playing Richard Williams?? Couldn't they find a better actor? Smith is a smug shit who thinks smirking constantly is a mark of good acting. Who plays Oracene? Jada?

Don Cheadle would have been a better choice.

by Anonymousreply 115July 20, 2021 6:21 AM

[quote] It feels incredibly strange that Serena and Venus Williams will be supporting characters in their own biopic.

Spare a thought for me then. My job is to support a supporting character. And I don't even get a screen credit.

by Anonymousreply 116July 20, 2021 6:24 AM

Macbeth is the one with the guy holding the skull, right?

by Anonymousreply 117July 20, 2021 6:36 AM

R114 Good point. Those were good movies. Maybe it's just the summary of Don't Look Up that's lacking. Maybe it will ultimately be about climate change and the fact that we're not doing anything about it. Oscar would like that very much.

by Anonymousreply 118July 20, 2021 6:56 AM

R3, R17, & R20 I've only just heard of this film, and it goes without saying that I adore Leachman, Dukakis, and Grassle. I WOULD FUCKING LIVE for a Karen Grassle Oscar win. What are the odds? I have no idea. I haven't seen the film. But I'm looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 119July 20, 2021 7:01 AM

Where is Our Lady of Eternal Suffering? Has she no upcoming releases? If she doesn't get nominated there are going to be a lot of (snot) tears. Will the suffering never end for our beloved saint?

by Anonymousreply 120July 20, 2021 7:05 AM

Gags can’t act. She preens. She has very little stage/screen presence. Like Hudson, she can be used for specific projects but this new movie doesn’t look like she’ll have a lot of acting. She’s so basic.

by Anonymousreply 121July 20, 2021 12:09 PM

Dr Shagaga

by Anonymousreply 122July 20, 2021 12:37 PM

[quote] I wouldn’t call Vice or especially The Big Short, one note, which Adam McKay directed previously.

Really? To me, those films are the definition of "one note": strident, biased, holier-than-thou. McKay is worse than Stanley Kramer.

by Anonymousreply 123July 20, 2021 1:39 PM

Gaga was OK in ASIB. It was a character that's been done to death and she brought nothing new to it. Her Oscar nom is a mystery. Chalk it up to good PR and the love the Academy seems to have for Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 124July 20, 2021 1:43 PM

And the Oscar for ugly Jew Boy du jour goes to.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 20, 2021 2:00 PM

R125 Adam Driver is not even fractionally Jewish. Look it up. His ancestry is Dutch, English, German, Scottish. But you are clearly a stupid Nazi.

by Anonymousreply 126July 20, 2021 3:05 PM

I was expecting a lot from Gaga in ASIB. I was disappointed. Her big singing moment. So what. She hit that note. Okay. She isn’t attractive and I didn’t see anything Oscar worthy but getting nominated now is a joke. Fucking Mark Walberg has been nominated FFS.

by Anonymousreply 127July 20, 2021 6:19 PM

I have read somewhere that there is impossible Ana de Armas is not winning this year with her impersonation of Marilyn in “Blonde”. Cannes wanted this film to be in their catalogue but Netflix refused.

by Anonymousreply 128July 20, 2021 6:25 PM

[quote] I wouldn’t call Vice or especially The Big Short, one note, which Adam McKay directed previously.

The Big Short and Vice got 13 Oscar nominations and won for Best Screenplay. People who were at the test screening for DLU are comparing it to Paddy Chayefsky, so that doesn't sound not one-note to me at all.

I feel like Alicia Vikander is going to be a front-runner for Blue Bayou. I also wouldn't count out Nicole as Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 129July 20, 2021 7:34 PM

R100 Is Your friend Lolly Adefope by any chance? If so, then good for her! I think she is very talented.

by Anonymousreply 130July 20, 2021 7:49 PM

It would be nice if Kirsten Dunst finally gets a nod.

by Anonymousreply 131July 20, 2021 9:13 PM

R100, R130 yes, Lolly Adefope has the chops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 20, 2021 9:17 PM

Now that I know it is all about campaigning and who kisses the most ass I am over the Oscars. It is all about buzz. Now that ratings are dropping it will only get worse. The noms and wins are meaningless now. Hell, they’ve been bad since the late 90s.

by Anonymousreply 133July 20, 2021 9:20 PM

One of the Datalounge Eldergays decreed that The Oscars have been garbage since the year 1969.

These Oscar nominees for the year 2022 are definitely garbage.

by Anonymousreply 134July 20, 2021 9:20 PM

Nobody is watching the Oscars anymore. Their Woke propaganda doesn't work and the majority of the people are fed up watching rich, priviledged people complaining.

by Anonymousreply 135July 20, 2021 9:21 PM

R135 It is not about Woke ness. It is about the bullshit behind the scenes campaigning and ass kissing. None of it is about merit. It’s a damn joke.

by Anonymousreply 136July 20, 2021 9:23 PM

R136 It also about their wokeness. They were called out about that at the last Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 137July 20, 2021 9:24 PM

If it’s such a popularity contest, how did a virtually unknown Korean actress win supporting last year?

by Anonymousreply 138July 20, 2021 9:25 PM

Last Oscar ceremony: 26/04/2021 · After the 2020 Academy Awards spurred reports of an “all-time low” last year with a mere 23.6 million viewers, Sunday’s 2021 ceremony shattered that dubious record, dropping by 58% to a mere 9.85 million viewers.

by Anonymousreply 139July 20, 2021 9:32 PM

Someone rightfully said about the last ceremony: "The tragic truth is that the Oscars as we know it died last night - woked to death by a craven collective desire from those involved to preach not entertain, to lecture rather than make us laugh and dream, and to virtue-signal instead of perform.

The fact Sir Anthony refused to have anything to do with last night grotesque farce just makes me respect him even more."

by Anonymousreply 140July 20, 2021 9:42 PM

R138 Shit happens. Maybe a vote split? Noms, esp, are about campaigning and back room dealing and fake buzz.

by Anonymousreply 141July 20, 2021 10:04 PM

^^He's in his early 80s, there's a pandemic going on and he already has an Oscar. That, and he didn't think there was a chance in hell that he would win last year. It's unlikely that disdain for the Oscars had anything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 142July 20, 2021 10:06 PM

Hopkins wanted to participate but the Academy stubbornly wouldn't let him appear virtually. He couldn't get to the London hub where they were doing it in-person.

by Anonymousreply 143July 20, 2021 10:08 PM

They need to start putting on a show again. Bring bank dance numbers, performances and all the pomp and circumstance people enjoy with an actual host. That's what people liked from shows of the past. I don't know where they got this idea that people just want people see rich people talk.

by Anonymousreply 144July 20, 2021 10:08 PM

I haven't watched an oscar show in almost twenty years. The oscars went to shit when the red carpet became a business and everyone started dressing like they were going to a formal ball at a Connecticut country club. Boring.

Also knowing who all the winners were going to be weeks in advance drained all the enthusiasm out of watching as well.

But I will say last year, was probably the most entertaining since the late 90's, because of McDormand and Hopkins wins.

[quote]They need to start putting on a show again. Bring bank dance numbers, performances and all the pomp and circumstance people enjoy with an actual host. That's what people liked from shows of the past.

And who are you getting to do all of this? The entertainers who were made for that type of show really aren't around today. It takes a certain kind to do it and do it well.

by Anonymousreply 145July 21, 2021 6:05 PM

"Tragedy Of Macbeth," Starring Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand, to Open 2021 New York Film Festival:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 23, 2021 2:56 AM

^

[quote] "a work of stark chiaroscuro and incantatory rage...an anguished film that stares, mouth agape, at a sorrowful world undone by blind greed and thoughtless ambition."

The press release is almost as grandiose as Shakespeare's prose. But it ISN'T Shakespeare's prose.

by Anonymousreply 147July 23, 2021 3:23 AM

Every year they do these lists and some of the movies don't even come out because they end up being terrible.

by Anonymousreply 148July 23, 2021 3:42 AM

[Bold] Karen Grassle in "Not to Forget" would be mind blowing if she wins. WOW! That would be a comeback for the ages!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 149July 23, 2021 4:19 AM

It would redeem the name Karen too r149.

by Anonymousreply 150July 23, 2021 4:21 AM

Karen and Louie G Jr. Sweet in Not to forget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 23, 2021 4:21 AM

Agree, r150.

by Anonymousreply 152July 23, 2021 4:22 AM

That should read, Karen and Louie G Jr. in Not to forget. Sweet

by Anonymousreply 153July 23, 2021 4:23 AM

In the Heights will probably get nominated for Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 154July 23, 2021 5:21 AM

no r154 the cast not being dark enough got it cancelled by the woke mob

by Anonymousreply 155July 23, 2021 5:22 AM

The only thing still interesting about the Oscars is seeing if Glenn will finally get one.

by Anonymousreply 156July 23, 2021 5:23 AM

Lady Gaga will win an acting Oscar before Pitiful Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 157July 23, 2021 5:38 AM

Is the Lange Loon here yet? Bitch finds her way everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 158July 23, 2021 7:02 AM

I just want to Gaga to win to drive you Madonna queens crazy. Cracks me up how much you all hate her.

by Anonymousreply 159July 23, 2021 7:43 AM

Apparently Lady Gaga makes a shitty performance in House of Gucci according to the few people who saw it already.

by Anonymousreply 160July 23, 2021 12:39 PM

[quote] In the Heights will probably get nominated for Best Picture.

Doubtful. It flopped and there was the whole "colorism" controversy.

by Anonymousreply 161July 23, 2021 1:29 PM

Only foaming at the mouth QAnon use the term 'woke' anymore. Thanks for outing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 162July 23, 2021 3:03 PM

by Anonymousreply 163July 23, 2021 4:15 PM

Timothee Chalamet has a chance to get 3 nominations next year--A Best Actor and 2 Supporting. I don't think anybody has ever done that before.

by Anonymousreply 164July 23, 2021 4:32 PM

r164, an actor cannot receive more than 1 nomination in a category, so the best he could do is both a Lead and a Supporting nomination, which has happened many times.

by Anonymousreply 165July 23, 2021 4:38 PM

R165 Yeah, most recently, Scarlett Johanson for Marriage Story(BA) and JoJo Rabbit (BSA)

by Anonymousreply 166July 23, 2021 4:49 PM

The last male actor who did it, I believe, was Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman (lead) and Glengarry Glen Ross (support) in ‘93.

by Anonymousreply 167July 23, 2021 8:43 PM

Jamie Foxx did it the year he won for Ray. He also received a supporting nomination for Collateral. Those were 2004 releases. It's a lot more common for actresses.

by Anonymousreply 168July 23, 2021 8:58 PM

Are Sigourney Weaver, Julianne Moore, Cate Blanchett and Scarlett Johansson the only actors to lose both of their double nominations in the same ceremony?

by Anonymousreply 169July 23, 2021 9:45 PM

Emma Thompson also lost her double nominations for The Remains of the Day and In the Name of the Father.

by Anonymousreply 170July 23, 2021 9:48 PM

Emma Thompson and Holly Hunter received double nods in the same year.

by Anonymousreply 171July 23, 2021 10:13 PM

And Sigourney lost her two same-year noms.

by Anonymousreply 172July 23, 2021 10:49 PM

Has America's favorite actress Miss Julia Roberts weighed in yet? Miss Roberts was weirdly expected to bd

by Anonymousreply 173August 5, 2021 7:05 AM

THR reviews Aretha Franklin biopic "Respect":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 9, 2021 3:19 AM

The variants will shut down theaters again this fall and probably drive most movie theaters out of business.

by Anonymousreply 175August 9, 2021 4:12 AM

Is Jen Hudson going to mouth breathe her way to a second Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 176August 9, 2021 8:03 AM

I refuse to believe The French Dispatch won't be one of the frontrunners. I can't take Variety's list seriously without it.

by Anonymousreply 177August 9, 2021 1:21 PM

Wes Anderson films do not become “frontrunners” at the Oscars, fangirl at R177.

by Anonymousreply 178August 9, 2021 3:57 PM

I'm looking forward to watching "The Power of the Dog".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 27, 2021 4:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!