Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you tried New Coke Zero Yet?

Please tell me it doesn't suck. It's the only thing that I drink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 15, 2021 5:00 AM

I love regular Coca-Cola.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2021 4:13 AM

I didn't like it

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2021 4:14 AM

Did they learn nothing from the New Coke fiasco of the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2021 4:15 AM

It taste like unwashed dick

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2021 4:15 AM

It tastes like an uncircumcised dick.

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2021 4:17 AM

Drink some water you ignoramus OP.

by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2021 4:36 AM

[quote]It tastes like an uncircumcised dick.

YUM!!!

by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2021 4:39 AM

Maybe this explains why I've had a hard time finding the old Coke Zero in recent months.

by Anonymousreply 8July 17, 2021 4:42 AM

[quote] It's the only thing that I drink.

How many cavities do you have in your teeth, 0P?

by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2021 4:42 AM

i haven't seen the new out yet, but this is my favorite drink and if it sucks, i'm going to be pissed

by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2021 5:03 AM

the previous recipe was perfect, I have no idea why the hell they changed it. I didn't like this new one at all. But, on the bright side, this horrendous taste may cure me of my coke zero addiction

by Anonymousreply 11July 17, 2021 5:53 AM

I tried Coke with coffee this week. Honestly, not bad at all, although I can't see drinking it as a coffee substitute. It was a bit too sweet. It was an impulse purchase.

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2021 3:21 PM

I tried the new version and I thought it had less of a cola taste - blander.

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2021 3:58 PM

I didn't care for Coke Zero much but it had that trademark caramel-ish Coke taste to it. If they got rid of that to make it blander, they're idiots.

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2021 4:01 PM

When this stuff was new in the US in 2005, I could swear it was made with Splenda, and it came in a white can, not silver like Diet Coke. A couple years later they reversed the color scheme to the current one and began using the usual aspertames.

I found one example of the old can design online. I can't find anything about the use of Splenda. I had the new version purchased in Mexico a couple months ago. I don't remember it being very different than the current Coke Zero, but Mexican products always taste different than US ones anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2021 4:03 PM

Coca-cola went 100% woke and they now hate America.

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2021 4:04 PM

r15, they apparently changed from white to black cans because the white wasn't "masculine" enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 17, 2021 4:07 PM

I love Coke Zero. It's the only soda for me. I tried an actural real Coke with all the calories and that tastes like crap to me compared to Coke Zero. I just hope they haven't fucked this up.

by Anonymousreply 18July 17, 2021 4:07 PM

I do not get the love for carbonated beverages.

by Anonymousreply 19July 17, 2021 4:30 PM

Do you have anything of substance to add, R19?

by Anonymousreply 20July 17, 2021 4:49 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 21July 17, 2021 5:04 PM

[quote] I tried the new version and I thought it had less of a cola taste - blander.

I was in Mexico yesterday and had a Coke Zero. It did indeed have less of that original "caramelly" flavor and a hint of citrus acid flavor. Didn't care for it. I like Coke Zero for tasting very close to real Coca-Cola, which the latest iteration before now matched just fine.

by Anonymousreply 22July 17, 2021 5:11 PM

I used to love zero coke, but I gave up soda for good last year. Though I started drinking crystal light and I’m not sure that’s much better.

by Anonymousreply 23July 17, 2021 5:12 PM

^ Coke zero

by Anonymousreply 24July 17, 2021 5:13 PM

Is this gonna be New Coke all over again?

by Anonymousreply 25July 17, 2021 5:14 PM

You're in good company, r23:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 17, 2021 5:15 PM

I wish Coke would stop trying to "simplify" its core sodas (while simultaneously releasing stupid added-flavor variants nobody cares about), and recognize that there are three non-overlapping target markets for diet colas:

1. People who like Diet Coke as-is, and don't want it to be sweeter or smoother.

2. People who prefer the taste of (Classic) Coke, but drink diet versions for various reasons, and liked Coke Zero in its previous form.

3. People who absolutely LOVED "New Coke", and would be THRILLED if Coke made a sweet, smooth variant that's basically Diet Coke, sweetened with AceK+Sucralose to taste like New Coke (and Pepsi ONE) used to. And for Coke to do it WITHOUT sabotaging or torpedoing #1 or #2. (Trivia: "New Coke" was LITERALLY "Diet Coke's formula, with HFCS replacing the aspartame & the overall sweetness increased to a notch ABOVE Pepsi's").

Coke just didn't GET that the problem wasn't that people didn't like "New Coke", the problem was that Coke was the sole source of "Classic Coke", and people who really LIKED "Classic Coke" were OUTRAGED about having it taken away (seemingly forever).

IMHO, there's a perfectly good market for THREE sugar-free diet "Coke" products... one that's less-sweet and based on traditional "Diet Coke", one that attempts to perfectly replicate the taste of "regular" (classic) Coca-Cola, and one that's basically Coke's "Pepsi ONE"... based on the formula for Diet Coke, but sweetened with sucralose + AceK to achieve the taste of 1980s "New Coke". Some people WANT a smoother, sweeter "Diet Coke", some people absolutely don't, and some people prefer the taste of "real" Coke (even if they're stuck with diet). We don't need more fucking fruity permutations of the diet colas, we just need three core versions of Diet Coke... classic, less-sweet, and more-sweet.

by Anonymousreply 27July 17, 2021 6:14 PM

Classic Coke doesn't taste like Coke did before New Coke. The glass bottles from countries who don't use HFCS, like Mexico, taste like Original Coke.

by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2021 6:17 PM

Anybody try the orange vanilla diet Coke? It tastes filthy but it's addicting.

by Anonymousreply 29July 17, 2021 6:56 PM

Now that Dr Pepper has its "zero sugar" version (which tastes like real Dr Pepper more that Diet Dr Pepper does), I'll switch to that if Coke fucks up Coke Zero. Unfortunately Dr Pepper Zero isn't available in fountains like Coke Zero is.

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2021 2:42 AM

I am not a fan of the fountain version of Coke Zero. Something seems off about it.

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2021 3:00 AM

My 7-11 Coke Big Gulp loving partner was able to successfully switch to Coke Zero. I have been a Diet Coke drinker, but loved the less bitter Coke Zero. I remember the last time Coca Cola screwed around with the original version, and it tanked. Please, no deja vu.

by Anonymousreply 32July 18, 2021 3:13 AM

I stopped drinking soda last year but Coke Zero was my go-to when I was eating out. Seems stupid to revamp it now but Coca-Cola has been down that road before

by Anonymousreply 33July 18, 2021 3:14 AM

I wish someone would start making refrigerators with built-in postmix soda dispenser capable of using normal bag-in-box syrup like restaurants use, and something like 3-5 different syrups. I mean, fuck, they already have the "cold filtered water dispenser" part, all they need is the carbonizer & syrup tubes (using gravity + ~10lb weight plate to squeeze the syrup out of a syrup bag on top of the fridge, or in the cabinet above it).

Then... they could sell the syrup in slightly smaller containers (say, a size that corresponds to 2 liters/day of mixed soda for 3-4 months), using "bottled" formula sweetener (ie, splenda, ace-k, sucralose) instead of "restaurant" formula sweetener (ie, saccharin or saccharin blend) at a price that comes out to ~$2/gallon (~50c/liter). Then, instead of having to buy 30-50 2-liter bottles when they go on sale & trip over them for 3 months, we could just buy syrup every 3-4 months & have our own fountain at home.

Going a step further, they could do things like cherry/orange/lemon/lime/grape/coffee/whatever as add-in flavors. Want Cherry-Coffee Coke Zero? Slide out the "flavor drawer" (that works kind of like the liquid detergent dispenser in a washing machine), add 3 squirts of cherry, 1 squirt of coffee, then dispense normally (with carbonated water washing through the drawer to mix & flush the flavor).

Over time, manufacturers & smaller companies could improve it once the "big" standards (for concentration, connectors, etc) were set. If you're into "complex" multi-part flavors, you could buy empty containers to pre mix your desired flavor into. Someone could make a retrofit mixer for flavor add-ins that goes inline with the water & injects them for you upon selection, with varying degrees of automation.

Eventually, they could also go step further, and get Coke or Pepsi to sell sweetener-free syrup intended to be mixed with any sweetener combo you prefer to customize your own syrup (and vastly extend its shelf life). If you want Classic Coke with cane sugar, you'd go to Publix (or Amazon) & buy concentrated cane-sugar syrup (or dissolve your own). If you want splenda+aceK at double the normal sweetness, so be it.

Hell, if the system were officially (or could be unofficially adapted & programmed to be) fully-interoperable between Coke, Pepsi, and other brands, you could have "Classic Coke", Pepsi ONE (ultra-sweet, w/splenda + aceK), Diet Mtn Dew, 7-Up, and Diet Dr. Pepper. Maybe even Red Bull, RC, Fanta Grape, and Canada Dry Diet Cranberry Ginger Ale, all at your convenient disposal.

Amazon would have 400 "remix recipe books" with offbeat flavors made from unapproved combinations (some of which might actually be good).

The hard part isn't the technology, it's getting Coke & Pepsi to go for it & make their raw syrups available to consumers. In theory, their actual flavors could all be reverse-engineered (though Coca Cola would be problematic without their cooperation, since it requires de-cocanized coca leaf extract that's sold to them by the DEA and not available to anyone else).

The big problem would be dancing around the trademark minefield. If anyone, even a warehouse janitor, were documented saying "xxx tastes like Coke Zero", Coca-Cola would unleash their lawyers and sue them & the company itself into oblivion.

In theory (Classic Coke coca-leaf extract notwithstanding) consumers could mix their own flavors too, but getting them would be nearly impossible because they're only sold in industrial quantities, and the FDA wouldn't allow some of them to be marketed directly to consumers (some are perfectly safe when 50ppm in a beverage, but would be hazardous if inhaled, or consumed at a million times their intended concentration. Popcorn artificial butter flavoring is a major example. In trace quantities, it's perfectly safe... but inhale plumes of the pollen-like dust, and your lungs will be injured).

by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2021 3:01 PM

[quote] Did they learn nothing from the New Coke fiasco of the 80s?

That was different. That was when they changed the formula for their flagship drink out of fear that Pepsi was going to continue to take market share from them. The public reacted negatively and they changed it back.

by Anonymousreply 35July 18, 2021 4:01 PM

drink water fatso

by Anonymousreply 36July 18, 2021 4:14 PM

There's this thing called Sodastream, R34. It's about as consumer friendly as syrup, water and pressurized CO2 can get.

If you're wealthy like my stepbrother, you can get your own soda fountain installed in your backyard bar and kitchen for about $3K. Service is a hassle though, because all the major syrup sellers want you to be on a refill/service contract. You'll end up having to DIY and buy the syrup at Costco. You'll spend your weekends cleaning the machine or your children will gag when chunky mold comes out instead of Mountain Dew. Then you'll shut. it. down.

by Anonymousreply 37July 18, 2021 6:23 PM

I liked Coke Zero but the new version tastes like day-old Pepsi.

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2021 4:22 PM

I love Mexican Coke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2021 4:26 PM

Love the can. All red with a bit of black is hot right now.

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2021 4:41 PM

R27 You are a great analyst of the soda company problems and I agree with you 100%.

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2021 7:47 PM

Coke Zero is fucking delicious. I was able to shake my addiction for years, but I've started buying it again.

I hope they don't screw it up.

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2021 8:32 PM

Why not use the healthy sweetener Stevia instead of use ones linked to fat gain and diabetes?

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2021 8:44 PM

r37, the problem with SodaStream is that its entire design, pricing, and rationale is based on assumptions that are valid in places like Europe and Israel, but fall flat on their face & completely miss the point in markets like the United States.

Let's start with price. SodaStream is EXPENSIVE. Point-blank, even if you pretend the hardware itself is free and your only expense is the syrup and CO2, it costs MORE to make 2 liters of SodaStream's second-rate sodas than it costs to buy a 2-liter bottle of soda from somewhere like Publix or Walmart. Compare SodaStream's price to 2-liter bottles when they're ON SALE (like $1.25/2L, or $1.89 as "buy 2, get 2 free"), and SodaStream ends up being OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive by comparison.

This isn't a uniquely SodaStream problem. For god knows what reason, bag-in-box syrup actually costs MORE per ounce of prepared soda than 2-liter bottles, and sometimes less than 12oz cans & smaller bottles. A 5 gallon BiB of Diet Coke retails (at Sam's Club) for anywhere between $129 and $180, and if there's literally ZERO waste, is equivalent to LESS THAN 60 2-liter bottles (5 gallon BiB makes 30 gallons of soda... 1 gallon is slightly less than 2 x 2L). So, even if you get the equipment for free, and pretend the CO2 costs nothing, a $129+ BiB of Diet Coke syrup actually ends up costing MORE than buying 60 2-liter bottles of Diet Coke AT NORMAL GODDAMN FUCKING EVERYDAY PRICE.

Now, apparently, the amount restaurants like McDonalds pay is ENORMOUSLY less... I've read that McDonalds and BK pay something like $25/BiB. But wait, it gets worse. Not only is Diet Coke syrup from Sam's Club OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive per ounce of prepared soda, it's not even the same THING... you're getting charged extortion-rate prices for Diet Coke syrup that's made with fucking SACCHARIN, because only McDonalds and (some) Burger King restaurants are even ALLOWED to buy all-aspartame Diet Coke syrup.

But in any case, getting back to SodaStream, their whole core target market (primarily, Europeans & Israelis) consists of people who are willing to pay premium prices for an inferior product to save storage space, reduce the amount of stuff they have to haul home from the grocery store, and/or give two shits about "reducing waste". In America, where statistically everyone has a pantry, two refrigerators, a large vehicle & easy access to warehouse-sized grocery stores, SodaStream's "advantages" all kind of just fall on the floor with a dull thud, with nothing to really redeem it as a viable product here.

If SodaStream were even marginally CHEAPER than buying 2L bottles not-on-sale, it might partially make up for it. But as noted, SodaStream soda is EXPENSIVE.

If SodaStream's non-Coke/Pepsi sodas were BETTER, it might make up for it. But frankly, all the ones I've tried basically tasted like Publix-brand soft drinks. If I'm getting Publix-grade soda, I expect to pay Publix-brand prices (ie, 50c/2L, not almost $1/liter).

Oh... and their bottles apparently aren't dishwasher-safe. What-the-unholy-FUCK?

IMHO, SodaStream is one of those things that's a wonderful idea that unfortunately, fails miserably in execution.

Given actual US pricing, it almost seems like HERE, someone like SodaStream would be better off forgetting about their whole carbonizer apparatus & special bottles, and instead focus on making & licensing niche variants of soft drink syrups (like caffeine-free cherry-orange Diet Coke Zero) intended to be added directly to store-brand "sparkling water". Say, via a dispenser that holds enough concentrate to make 10-20 liters, and a tip where you turn it one click per liter & squirt it into the bottle (possibly, after draining a bit off the top) before putting it in the refrigerator to diffuse & get cold.

Somewhere like a small town in Alaska, it would mean that even a backwoods convenience store could stock 1 and 2 liter bottles of generic seltzer water, then sell syrup syringes for almost every Diet soft drink known to exist (because they wouldn't take much shelf space due to being hyper-concentrated).

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2021 8:51 PM

R27 will love this email I got today from Coca Cola, their reply after I wrote their customer service about not being able to find Blue Sky soda, which I learned is a Coca Cola brand:

Thank you for contacting us regarding the availability of your favorite Coca-Cola beverage!

We are sorry you are having trouble finding what you are looking for. Due to high demand of certain products and supply disruptions, we’ve had to temporarily shift our focus toward producing the products with the highest demand.

At this time, we can confirm that In the U.S. we will be phasing out AHA Black Cherry+Coffee and AHA Apple+Ginger, Odwalla, ZICO, TaB, Fresca Unsweet Strawberry, Coca-Cola Life, Barq's Creme Soda, Dasani Strawberry, Fanta Mango, Fanta Green Apple, Fanta Wild Cherry, Gold Peak Blueberry Tea, Gold Peak Unsweetened Lemon Tea, Gold Peak Unsweetened Raspberry Tea, Honest Tea Green Tea with Jasmine & Honey, Honest Tea White Peach & Apricot Black Tea, Mello Yello Cherry, Mello Yello Peach and regional brands Northern Neck, Delaware Punch and Mendota Springs. Our Hansen’s brand will only be available in restaurants and eateries that choose that carry it. Regarding Sprite Lymonade, while some packaging options are being discontinued, the product itself is not. There will not be an option to purchase any of these products directly from Coca-Cola. blah blah blah blah

Should you have additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely, The Coca-Cola Company Consumer Interaction Center, North America"

Basically, Coca Cola owns everything now. They've owned Blue Sky Soda since 2015, but it still isn't listed on their website product finder.

by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2021 3:41 AM

Honey is the only sweetener you should consider.

by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2021 3:44 AM

Er, r46, you DO realize that half of the sugar in honey is fructose, right? If you're comparing molecules, honey is basically like a 50/50 blend of HFCS and cane sugar, with added impurities related to the honey itself.If you think it deserves brownie points for being "natural", that's your prerogative... but don't kid yourself. It's not WORSE than HFCS, but it's really no BETTER than HFCS, either.

And people who moan about "artificial sweeteners" are like people screaming about the dangers of vaping vs wholesome all-natural cigarettes. Sweeteners like aspartame, sucralose, and aceK might not be absolutely "100% safe", but if you're going to consume the equivalent of a pound or two of sugar dissolved into your beverages per day, it's absolutely insane to argue that one or two pounds of cane sugar or HFCS (and thousands of calories) is somehow healthier than the equivalent amount of aspartame, sucralose, or aceK just because they're "natural".

by Anonymousreply 47July 20, 2021 5:00 AM

They hate America.

I refuse to drink their poison.

by Anonymousreply 48July 20, 2021 8:45 AM

Omg I didn’t know about this. Coke Zero is my favorite soda. I’m very concerned now.

by Anonymousreply 49July 20, 2021 8:52 AM

I think 99% of Coke Zero drinkers will be happy, because most of them really WANT it to taste like "normal" Coke, so anything that nudges it closer is likely to be a net improvement.

Present-day Coke Zero Sugar is ENORMOUSLY better than original Coke Zero was. To me, original C-0 tasted like hypothetical "Tab, but with Aspartame" (and the fountain version literally still tastes like I remember Tab tasting).

Fingers still crossed that this will goad Pepsi into letting us have Pepsi ONE back (maybe as "Pepsi Sweet & Sugar-Free", or whatever "fresh" new name they come up with.) I'm tired of dumping 2-3 packs of splenda into Diet Pepsi to try and re-create the sweetness of Pepsi One glass-by-glass.

by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2021 3:27 PM

Each pack of Splenda is one carb.

by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2021 3:30 PM

Splenda is tied to weight gain

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2021 3:41 PM

r51, Z0mg, THREE WHOLE CALORIES! Oh, the horror!

If six calories are the cost of soda that's casually-indistinguishable from "regular" soda, that's fine with me. It's still better than 300+ calories per can.

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2021 3:42 PM

[quote]You'll spend your weekends cleaning the machine or your children will gag when chunky mold comes out instead of Mountain Dew. Then you'll shut. it. down.

Wouldn't the maid or handyman do that? Maybe you could hire a kid from McD's who does their machines.

by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2021 3:45 PM

If you have only diet drinks, cleaning isn't as big of a deal, because there's almost nothing IN them to feed bugs, mold, or bacteria.

I worked for a fast food restaurant in high school. I think the drink dispenser got a real tear-down cleaning once or twice a year, max. Once a week, we "Brix'ed" it to verify the mix ratio, and soaked the nozzles in a pail of bleach-water. The syrup lines were literally NEVER, EVER flushed, cleaned, or sanitized.

Really, you're supposed to clean your refrigerator's water & ice system weekly, too. Nobody does it. Most people are lucky if the filter gets changed after a year or two. We live.

by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2021 4:56 PM

Well i tried it today and it's not too bad. It does taste "flatter" than the old coke zero, but not by much. I don't see why they changed it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 56July 20, 2021 10:54 PM

I know a Saudi prince who, when he was young, had McDonalds from Switzerland and Coca Cola from Macedonia flown to his summer palace in Marbella.

by Anonymousreply 57July 21, 2021 1:35 AM

R54, he's not that kind of wealthy. Well, he is, but he's not the type to hire full time maintenance. There's a certain male pride in being able to do at least some of your own shit.

He's an engineer that got in early on a business that tests the electronics and monitors the payout algorithms of slot machines.

Having your own soda fountain is one of those things that sounds like a good idea and when you do it it's far worse than you imagined.

His children take riding lessons. He has a vacation home in Turks and Caicos.

He also knows a lot about product development in China. Basically he says it's for suckers because if your idea is any good the Chinese will steal it within weeks.

by Anonymousreply 58July 21, 2021 2:48 PM

I do not like it. It doesn't have enough bite.

by Anonymousreply 59August 14, 2021 12:27 PM

That’s the only thing OP drinks? How is she still alive and cogent?

by Anonymousreply 60August 14, 2021 12:31 PM

Drink water, fat unathletic Americans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 14, 2021 12:39 PM

I'll stick with Caffeine Free Diet Coke.

Wish they still made Diet Cherry Coke.

Occassionally I also like a Fresca. Very low in carbs.

by Anonymousreply 62August 14, 2021 1:15 PM

My favorite was Diet Coke With Splenda, although Diet Cherry was a close second.

by Anonymousreply 63August 14, 2021 1:35 PM

It's all much of a muchness.

by Anonymousreply 64August 14, 2021 2:04 PM

I've tried it and I don't hate it, but it lacks the bite of the old formula.

by Anonymousreply 65August 14, 2021 2:05 PM

Who drinks soda?

by Anonymousreply 66August 14, 2021 2:07 PM

I finally tried it.

Verdict: better than the previous version & closer to the taste of "regular" Coke, but I still prefer Diet Pepsi (and OVERWHELMINGLY preferred the taste of PepsiONE and Diet Pepsi w/Splenda circa 2016).

I wish they'd make a hypothetical "Coke Zero.1" using Diet Coke's flavoring ("New Coke" was LITERALLY Diet Coke made w/HFCS instead of aspartame), but sweetened to 1980s "New Coke" levels with Splenda + AceK. In other words, a Diet Coke like Pepsi ONE with all the smooth sweetness that got people to prefer New Coke over Pepsi in blind taste tests.

by Anonymousreply 67August 14, 2021 3:32 PM

Diet Coke with Splenda is basically as you describe. They keep bringing it onto and off of the market.

by Anonymousreply 68August 14, 2021 4:14 PM

Who actually owns Coke? I assume they live on a Superyacht and have bought the rights to the first plots of Terraformed land on Mars.

by Anonymousreply 69August 14, 2021 4:24 PM

I had no idea people took soda so seriously.

by Anonymousreply 70August 14, 2021 5:02 PM

R70 yes. Don’t mess with peoples soda. Seriously.

People literally were losing it in the 80s when Coke changed their formula.

by Anonymousreply 71August 14, 2021 7:12 PM

Black can Coke Zero was delicious. The new formula isn’t as good.

Coke with Splenda was not Diet Coke or Coke Zero. It was Coke/Diet Coke with Splenda, and Green, not red or black.

by Anonymousreply 72August 14, 2021 7:13 PM

Sorry. Splenda one was silver can, Stevia one was green.

by Anonymousreply 73August 14, 2021 7:17 PM

Diet Coke with Splenda, boo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 14, 2021 7:51 PM

R74 I clearly corrected myself at r73

by Anonymousreply 75August 14, 2021 7:53 PM

I’m loyal to battery acid beverage Diet Coke.

by Anonymousreply 76August 14, 2021 7:59 PM

From what I recall, Diet Coke with Splenda was a small step up from regular Diet Coke, but still wasn't as good as Pepsi ONE.

IMHO, Pepsi ONE (circa 2014, before it briefly became "Diet Pepsi (Splenda formula)" was the best drink we've ever had. Most of the time, if you didn't TELL someone what it was, they knew "something" wasn't quite right (if they were expecting regular Pepsi), but couldn't quite put their finger on what it was. If anything, its biggest problem was the fact that it was SO CLOSE to "regular" Pepsi's taste, people who WANTED Diet were prone to thinking you'd given them "regular" Pepsi by mistake.

I will honestly never understand the people who bitched and moaned about Pepsi ONE becoming the "official" Diet Pepsi. Aspartame-formula Diet Pepsi still tastes... well... "Diet". Pepsi ONE was what Diet Pepsi SHOULD have tasted like, if NutraSweet hadn't been so expensive in the 80s, Pepsi had to value-engineer it to use less in order to keep it affordable. Hell, even back when Pepsi ONE used aspartame (circa 2000), it still had most of regular Pepsi's sweetness... all the move to Splenda really did was make it last longer before going bad. If Pepsi had gone from Splenda-formula Diet Pepsi to 2000-formula (still-ultra-sweet) Pepsi ONE, I wouldn't have minded as much... but no, they had to completely ruin it and go back to making it taste like gross 1980s-era under-sweetened Diet Pepsi.

by Anonymousreply 77August 15, 2021 12:35 AM

[quote]If you have only diet drinks, cleaning isn't as big of a deal, because there's almost nothing IN them to feed bugs, mold, or bacteria.

That's because the calories cause those issues.

by Anonymousreply 78August 15, 2021 12:39 AM

I tried Coke Zero tonight for the first time.

I think it is the old formula cause the bottle label was black with white lettering and judging by a billboard the new formula will have a red label with black lettering.

To me, it tasted like Diet Coke with cinnamon added. I enjoyed it and would drink it again.

I bought a 6 pack of the Cherry Coke Zero but haven't tried it yet.

by Anonymousreply 79August 15, 2021 3:43 AM

R79 thats the old formula. My local target still has the black ones too, as well as the new one. I guess they wanna get rid of the black cans too.

by Anonymousreply 80August 15, 2021 3:45 AM

R53, it isn't the calories or lack of, it is the insulin response, which is the same as sugar. The insulin response is what makes people fat and sweeteners including stevia still raise insulin which is exactly why people keep saying that diet is as bad for you as regular. Diet IS as bad for you as regular. Calories don't make you fat, insulin resistance does.

by Anonymousreply 81August 15, 2021 4:17 AM

If you're gonna have junk food, you might as well indulge yourself on the good kind. Why waste your cheat day on artificial sweeteners?

by Anonymousreply 82August 15, 2021 4:25 AM

TL;DR.

Coke Zero was invented because of HOMOPHOBIA of all things! Hetero men weren't consuming "Diet Coke" because it was perceived as a "woman's drink". So the marketing department at Coke came up with an alternate diet drink marketed to men.... Coke Zero!

by Anonymousreply 83August 15, 2021 4:57 AM

Then the death of Tab was a gay-bashing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 15, 2021 5:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!