Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When did the hiring process become so complex?

Why did BS like take home assignments, essay application questions and personality tests start?

by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2021 1:17 PM

When HR departments figured out they could all be replaced with an algorithm and a not so bright monkey.

by Anonymousreply 1July 16, 2021 7:17 AM

This is why I prefer getting hired through the back door via my network. Who has time for all that shit?

by Anonymousreply 2July 16, 2021 2:14 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2021 6:19 PM

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU LAZY WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2021 6:20 PM

What happened to blowing the manager? It gets you in faster.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2021 6:23 PM

R4 = HR Cunt off her meds

by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2021 6:24 PM

As a hiring manager I want the hiring process to be harder. It’s become so hard to fire people. A lot of employees think they are great when in reality many are average and a lot are Sub par

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2021 6:26 PM

R7 You get what you pay for.

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2021 6:27 PM

When people who can barely read and write started graduating from college with undergrad degrees.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2021 6:28 PM

A lot of hiring managers don’t know what they want. They also think something better will come along even if the salary tops out at $55K/year (yeah someone with 7+ years experience will totally work for that)

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2021 6:33 PM

R1 got it right. Making themselves more important in the process. Typical bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2021 6:39 PM

That's why I appreciate not to have to work . It's really horrible.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2021 6:43 PM

[quote]A lot of employees think they are great when in reality many are average and a lot are Sub par

We know.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2021 6:46 PM

[quote]As a hiring manager I want the hiring process to be harder. It’s become so hard to fire people. A lot of employees think they are great when in reality many are average and a lot are Sub par

Considering that R7 is in HR yet doesn't know proper capitalization, spelling, nor punctuation, I'd say her organization is already fucked before any prospective employee's hiring process has even begun.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2021 6:57 PM

R14, there's a 99% chance that R7 is a man because this is DL. I really wish gay guys would stop changing the pronoun to 'her' when they want to insult the person. It happens all the time.

by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2021 7:01 PM

R14 I didn’t say I was In HR. I’m the VP of the company with a lot of direct reports. I interview and hire every direct report and interview those who report in to my direct reports. They make the final call in who they hire. We pay well and have a pension.

Some people interview well and then phone their performance in.

At work I have auto correct. I’m not that pressed to have correct grammar for DL.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2021 7:10 PM

Lol R6.

R4 is definitely off her meds..

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2021 7:13 PM

From "hiring manager" to "VP" of the company. 🙄

Please let us know which Mickey D's franchise you imagine yourself to manage so that we may avoid it at all costs.

Now get to "work," bitch!

by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2021 7:34 PM

why is nobody furious and jealous that I'm not working ?

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2021 7:34 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2021 2:28 PM

I know R12. Glad to be out of that bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2021 2:49 PM

It all changed when Personnel became Human Resources. Before that, there was a more personal personnel department and workers were not just another resource, like pens.

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2021 2:53 PM

I hated working for an American company. You have to explain in the smallest detail what you want an American college to do. 1. Sit down. 2. Turn on the computer. 3. Open you email..... Whereas if it's a Brit or a European you just say "Bob, can you do this for me" 5 minutes later it's done.

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2021 3:05 PM

If they do personality tests, I'm out. Those only work with customer service and sales oriented positions.

I had a recruiter who wanted writing samples, report samples, written test, 3 interviews with RECRUITERS before sending to the company for 6 rounds of interviews, then an on-site presentation and then a group interview with the people who would be reporting to me.

The 'work-from-home' part was 2 weeks a month IF they didn't need me in the office - in Houston.

And no details about the salary until it was finished. NOPE. I'm not putting in 20-30 hours work for that shit.

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2021 3:15 PM

……….

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2021 4:33 AM

r24 even for customer service and sales oriented positions, those personality tests are fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2021 4:41 AM

And to add insult to injury, the recruiters who cold call you act all unimpressed by your resume and experience when you talk to them even though they’ve pre screened you. They will go dark for weeks at a time once you submit an application. It’s such a terrible system.

by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2021 4:41 AM

[quote] what you want an American college to do

"Colleague", R23?

by Anonymousreply 28July 28, 2021 4:55 AM

HR is like cancer in big companies. To remain relevant, they invent all sorts of crap, bloating the hiring process. Now they're also the internal cancel culture advocate. They police what you can or cannot say or do (fortunately, they can't yet control what I think).

by Anonymousreply 29July 28, 2021 5:04 AM

All these complicated HR processes have a rude awakening because we have a 20% no show rate on all new hires now at my company. They need to speed the F up and hire people while they still remember they applied for the position, or gave up and took another job in the meantime. I’ve seen candidates sitting in the system for over 4 months currently, awaiting the completion of pre-hire; and they’re surprised when they don’t show up?

How about doing some real background checks aka making calls yourself and asking the tough interview questions?

by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2021 5:25 AM

I applied for a position at University Health Network in Toronto. As part of the application process, they wanted access to my medical records and permission to cold contact people from prior employers.

by Anonymousreply 31July 28, 2021 5:34 AM

R31 I hope you said HELL NO.

by Anonymousreply 32July 28, 2021 3:22 PM

R31 Hopefully the great resignation brings an end to that shit

by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2021 3:26 PM

[quote] That's why I prefer getting hired through the back door

Gays are very good at that, bottoms in particular ;)

by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2021 3:26 PM

I’m glad I stay at home and JO all day now. Who needs that shit!

by Anonymousreply 35July 28, 2021 3:32 PM

Please answer the following in 300 words as part of the pre-pre-screening process: Describe your greatest weakness and/or professional failure.

by Anonymousreply 36July 28, 2021 3:44 PM

R30 Same thing is happening at my job even in the interviewing rounds. We’ve had so many candidates drop out.

by Anonymousreply 37July 30, 2021 1:00 PM

OP, quit complaining. Letting a teen murderer like you out of the nuthouse to mainstream is a tetchy thing for some people.

by Anonymousreply 38July 30, 2021 1:02 PM

[quote] [R4] = HR Cunt off her meds

I have it blocked. Quelle surprise!

by Anonymousreply 39July 30, 2021 1:07 PM

Previous work samples are acceptable. I draw the line at creating things like a marketing strategy presentation for them.

by Anonymousreply 40July 30, 2021 1:13 PM

Listen up! Human Resources is a PROFESSION just like law, medicine and divinity!

by Anonymousreply 41July 30, 2021 1:18 PM

Most of the time they already have a candidate in mind. This shit is purely for show

by Anonymousreply 42July 30, 2021 1:21 PM

I went through a long hiring process for a job I was 100% qualified for only to have HR tell me I was not qualified for.

Months later, I learned from a friend who works there that the whole interview process had been for show. The department head always intended to hire a friend with whom he had worked at a previous job. They just needed to go through all the interviewing process to make it look legit.

by Anonymousreply 43July 30, 2021 1:28 PM

R42 and R43 are correct. This is what happens almost ALL of the time.

by Anonymousreply 44July 30, 2021 1:36 PM

R43 It’s too bad we can’t do anything to end this. It’s such a waste of time

by Anonymousreply 45July 30, 2021 1:39 PM

When firing people became way harder

by Anonymousreply 46July 30, 2021 1:41 PM

When you make it hard to fire, you make it hard to get hired.

by Anonymousreply 47July 30, 2021 1:42 PM

[quote]When you make it hard to fire, you make it hard to get hired.

And yet they still manage to hire shitty people who don’t know WTF they’re doing.

by Anonymousreply 48July 30, 2021 1:48 PM

R48 I’m always surprised by some of the idiots I see working too.

by Anonymousreply 49July 30, 2021 1:59 PM

[quote]Why did BS like take home assignments, essay application questions and personality tests start?

I don’t do any of that shit. I send you a resume and fill out the application and you either give me an interview or you don’t. And if you give me an interview, have all your questions ready because I’m only doing one interview. I don’t do that second and third interview shit like some of these places like to do for their own twisted amusement, nor do I do these little assessments or whatever homework assignments they come up with. I’m almost 40 and I’m too experienced for you to expect me to jump through hoops like a circus monkey because you have a power trip. Either my experience and accomplishments speak for themself or they don’t.

by Anonymousreply 50July 30, 2021 1:59 PM

R26 - I actually believe you need to have a certain personality to deal with customer care or sales. If you're introverted, sales really isn't for you. However, the rest of the personality assessment crap is just that - crap.

Companies have spent decades trying to 'decode' what makes a person successful in their job and if there's a personality component to it. The Meyers-Brigg bullshit comes to mind. It does not work. It also doesn't allow for growth - as if a personality and preference for specific work is cut in stone forever and that you can't grow into responsibilities or have a different approach to tackle problems.

R27 - YES - the recruiters who hound you and then act like your resume isn't up to snuff and are rude and cut you off on the phone. BITCH - you're getting a cut out of this if you place me, right? Stop acting like an asshole then.

by Anonymousreply 51July 30, 2021 2:09 PM

[quote] Companies have spent decades trying to 'decode' what makes a person successful in their job and if there's a personality component to it. The Meyers-Brigg bullshit comes to mind.

Because none of these assessments take into consideration other people. None of these measure if you’re excellent at your job but working for a manager who doesn’t know how to manage. Or if you’re excellent at your job which makes other team members jealous and they attempt to sabotage your work.

by Anonymousreply 52July 30, 2021 2:32 PM

R52 I think that’s a big reason for the great resignation. People are tired of toxic office politics

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2021 2:35 PM

Right now, employees who are at relatively Junior stages in their career have all of the leverage. They should take every single advantage they can right now. It will not last forever.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2021 2:38 PM

R53 Yep. God forbid people just want to do their job and go home. All this over the top psychoanalysis shit they try to do with employees is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2021 2:39 PM

SloppyH needs to be heavily medicated. What a socially inept moron!

by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2021 3:01 PM

These days, HR is made up of lawyers and psychology majors. The problem is that decision makers listen to these people and some of them are the biggest dopes.

And don’t get me started on performance management sessions. Complete waste of time and emotional energy. There’s one frequently used model that puts one person at the top, one person at the bottom and everyone else shakes out in the middle which is a ridiculous method if you’re trying to promote team work.

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2021 3:21 PM

It’s absolutely ridiculous. It’s to justify having huge HR teams.

by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2021 3:41 PM

HR has become a monster.

by Anonymousreply 59July 30, 2021 3:52 PM

The only thing HR is remotely competent at is sending Outlook calendar invites.

by Anonymousreply 60July 30, 2021 3:57 PM

And planning parties, ordering birthday cakes and other meaningless bullshit to avoid doing any real work.

by Anonymousreply 61July 30, 2021 4:56 PM

A lot of youvguys are so bitter because you have bad jobs, no job, no money, feel inferior, etc.

by Anonymousreply 62July 30, 2021 5:03 PM

Trash OP was Red-Tagged today!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 30, 2021 5:57 PM

[quote] When you make it hard to fire, you make it hard to get hired.

Most American workers have no union protection, added to which “At Will” employment makes it very, very easy to fire people. Management can turf you out for no reason at all and without one cent of severance pay.

by Anonymousreply 64July 30, 2021 6:26 PM

[quote] Management can turf you out for no reason at all and without one cent of severance pay.

You had better not fire anybody who is a racial, ethnic, sexual, or religious minority without documenting every single thing that lead to their dismissal. Otherwise, you are looking at a very expensive lawsuit.

Often times when people sue, it is cheaper to settle with them anyway, rather than go through the expense of defending yourself.

by Anonymousreply 65August 2, 2021 2:11 AM

R65 is a right winger

by Anonymousreply 66August 16, 2021 12:12 AM

I had a recent pre screen phone call with an HR cunt a few weeks back. She told me they’d get back to me if I made it to round 1 before labour day then the actual interview would be scheduled for mid September. They anticipated hiring would occur early October.

by Anonymousreply 67August 16, 2021 12:16 AM

R63 works in HR

by Anonymousreply 68August 16, 2021 12:19 AM

R66 was born without a cerebrum.

by Anonymousreply 69August 16, 2021 2:31 AM

After sitting on a few hiring committees, it amazes me how incompetent most hiring managers are.

by Anonymousreply 70August 18, 2021 1:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!