Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Search for missing jogger continues

What say you? Stuck in a crevice somewhere? Fell into a well?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60119 hours ago

If by fell into a “well”, you mean “a PNP party”. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 107/15/2021

Faking his own death?

by Anonymousreply 207/15/2021

While I don't wish this man any harm and I hope he's found eventually, I would like datalounge to take note that this is an example of a TRULY ugly man who would never be able to get laid. 99% of the guys who get made fun of on this site for being unattractive would have no trouble finding sex on a regular basis, including that Yashar Ali guy.

by Anonymousreply 307/15/2021

He looks rather unfortunate. DL won't care.

by Anonymousreply 407/15/2021

^Many extreme, long-distance runners look prematurely weathered and aged.

by Anonymousreply 507/15/2021

Why would someone jog in triple digit weather?

by Anonymousreply 607/15/2021

Real runners have to get those miles in, no matter the weather.

by Anonymousreply 707/15/2021

Real runners are an insufferable lot

by Anonymousreply 807/15/2021

Jogger Motel.

by Anonymousreply 907/15/2021

Why have they said "He may be disoriented" so frequently?

by Anonymousreply 1007/15/2021

Tig Notaro's long-lost sister.

by Anonymousreply 1107/15/2021

It’s those damn illegal Mexicans!!! All Biden cares about is CHINA CHINA CHINA AND RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA! After all I have done for you!!! Many wonderful beautiful things!! You sir are a loser!!! 🤡

by Anonymousreply 1207/15/2021

R3, that's the first thing you thought about when you read the article?

by Anonymousreply 1307/15/2021

This guy has the too-gaunt, sunken eye look that most white long distance runners have.

by Anonymousreply 1407/15/2021

To be fair.. he doesn't look quite as fug in this pic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1507/15/2021

If he collapsed from the heat and died, scavengers could have already eaten him and scattered the remains.

by Anonymousreply 1607/15/2021

I really don't think he is truly ugly. He's actually pretty cute in R16s pic. Plus, he could be hung. Did you ever consider that? The ugly can be hung too.

by Anonymousreply 1707/15/2021

He does not look well. Emaciated, lined, and very bad skin. "Endurance Athlete" is often for the mentally ill. I hope he hasn't succumbed to his own stupid risk taking. For the sake of his family. If he survives, he needs to stop with the bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1807/15/2021

He fell into a slot canyon and needs to saw off his arm now.

by Anonymousreply 1907/15/2021

If he fell and can’t get up, he’s probably got a broken hip or leg and can’t climb out. He’s likely to die of dehydration, poor guy. I hope they find him.

This is why you don’t go running or hiking in triple degree weather. It doesn’t matter how fit you are, you can still get heatstroke.

by Anonymousreply 2007/15/2021

[quote]Screams from canyon offer new lead in search for missing California man

Well, duh!

by Anonymousreply 2107/15/2021

It's weird that the family/wife only wants one photo used.

[quote]I uploaded another picture earlier but this is the one photo Phil's family would like used in publicity about the search. Phil's wife Jen gives permission for this photo to be used in social media and in newspapers.

The official search has been called off, with the Sheriff's Office saying they would have seen something by now, and the volunteer search groups are cunting each other out at the drop of a hat.

I run there occasionally, and while it's true that there are a lot of little sub-trails shooting off here and there, it isn't an easy place to get lost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2207/15/2021

Darwin at work. Really, why would anyone choose to run in triple digit heat.

by Anonymousreply 2307/15/2021

He’s quite handsome, actually.

by Anonymousreply 2407/15/2021

Here's an interview with his wife and father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2507/15/2021

uh oh. Asian wife. Is that canyon cruisy?

by Anonymousreply 2607/15/2021

psychic said he died of heatstroke and they will find him

by Anonymousreply 2707/15/2021

Lordy what a foolish selfish man.

by Anonymousreply 2807/15/2021

R26, not that I've noticed, but there is another parking lot off the trail which is more wooded and has fewer houses overlooking it.

by Anonymousreply 2907/15/2021

[quote]The trail he intended to take a run on was someplace he wasn't familiar with.

What on earth was he thinking? 106 degree run in an unfamiliar area.

by Anonymousreply 3007/15/2021

r27, I basically said the same thing and I'm not psychic.

by Anonymousreply 3107/15/2021

Pack of wild dogs is my bet.

by Anonymousreply 3207/15/2021

Jogging in 100 degree weather? WTF?! I no longer jog, but when I did 85 degrees was the maximum temperature I would run, and it was preferably in limited direct sunlight.

by Anonymousreply 3307/15/2021

I don't understand why he would have left his wallet and phone in his car. Those are two things that I always have with me when I hike. If I get hurt, I need the phone. If I die, I need the ID.

by Anonymousreply 3407/15/2021

Oh he left his phone and wallet in the car. I change my bet.

Faked his own death.

by Anonymousreply 3507/16/2021

My husband always leaves his wallet and phone in the car and it really pisses me off. I’ve gotten to the point where I harangue him hoping he will reconsider, because I will be the one who will take the brunt of the fallout when they are stolen.

by Anonymousreply 3607/16/2021

Early on, I heard a newscast report that his wife said he never carried anything while running because he wanted no extra weight. Like swimmers shaving so they'll be more aerodynamic, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 3707/16/2021

Have they checked the cabins or the brackish water?

by Anonymousreply 3807/16/2021

Funny you should mention that, Naya. Things have gone from "SEARCH THE CABINS!!" (actually barns, sheds, and assorted outbuildings in this case) to "SEARCH THE PONDS! HE JUMPED IN TO COOL OFF!!"

The people making the demands have no idea that the ponds they're marking on their maps, posting coordinates for, and proposing the best routes to have been completely dry for years.

by Anonymousreply 3907/16/2021

He's 37 ?!

He looks at LEAST TEN years older.

by Anonymousreply 4007/16/2021

Going running in unfamiliar HILLS when it is 106? Sounds implausible or extremely stupid. Sad for the family.

by Anonymousreply 4107/16/2021

so he mapped out the route on his phone then left it? he really thought he would remember where to go for 8 miles..

by Anonymousreply 4207/16/2021

Oh, you'd be surprised at the idiots who go running or hiking in 3-digit temperatures. Every summer in Phoenix there's stories about people dying or needing to be rescued by helicopter from a mountain after suffering from heatstroke.

by Anonymousreply 4307/16/2021

R14 is a racist.

by Anonymousreply 4407/16/2021

He's ugly, so better off dead.

by Anonymousreply 4507/16/2021

Apart from the weather that's mountain lion territory. Crazy to run alone.

by Anonymousreply 4607/16/2021

Mountain Lion + ear buds.= Mystery solved.

by Anonymousreply 4707/16/2021

Quite possibly, R47

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4807/16/2021

Or he chose to disappear, either one. Police acknowledge both possibilities.

“We’ve done an exhaustive search over the last four days,” said Sgt. Ray Kelly with the Alameda Sheriff’s Special Operations Group, according to the station. Kelly said the two probabilities were that Kreycik is incapacitated and can’t be found or he is somewhere else entirely."

by Anonymousreply 4907/16/2021

Another interesting statement

"We have yet to identify an eyewitness who saw Philip on that trail." "It kind of seems like he just vanished out there."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5007/16/2021

From post above

His behavior that day seems out of the norm, see this extensive analysis from u/spoingy5 on his Strava activities HERE.

He dropped off a package on the way to the run, and police are investigating the significance of this: "Police told ABC7 on Wednesday that Kreycik dropped off a package at a parcel store in Oakland before he vanished. They are now looking to figure out what was in the package and any witnesses that may have seen Kreycik"

by Anonymousreply 5107/16/2021

This is a good post

TheThunderbird · 1d Berkeley Some counterpoints:

He had planned a route in the area he went missing that he saved on his phone. He had communicated his intention to run that route the day before to the friend he ran with that day. Some people have brought up that he didn't bring his phone with him and start an activity on Strava, but he ran with a Suunto Ambit which would need to be paired back to his phone after completion of the activity to upload the activity data.

He was apparently stopping for the run on his way to Stockton to pick up his family, which is why his wife called and could explain the timing of the run. He easily could have been unwaware of how hot it would have been in that particular location at that time of day; as you mentioned he was used to running in Berkeley.

What's interesting to me at this juncture is that there were a lot of other people out on those trails that day who say it was hot but manageable, and nobody seems to have seen him. My personal speculation is that he didn't get out of the parking lot."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5207/16/2021

"Screams from canyon offer... "

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 5307/16/2021

Oh. ok, we're talking about a person running for exercise and NOT a person of a certain demographic who commits felonies and claims all they were doing was jogging.

Got it!

I don't know what happened to him.

by Anonymousreply 5407/16/2021

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5507/16/2021

Closeted gay who was probably cruising for mountain dick and lost his balance when he turned around to "present hole"!

I'm tellin' ya... Keep to the truck stop bathrooms! They're somewhat safer!

by Anonymousreply 5607/16/2021

There was just another interview with his wife on the local news. Hug your families; nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 5707/16/2021

R3 What are you talking about? I think he is food looking in a nerdy way. He does look old for his age, but that is runners face for you.

He has an Asian wife though. You know what that means, DL.

by Anonymousreply 5807/16/2021

Mountain lions have been spotted several times during the search.

by Anonymousreply 5907/16/2021

The mountain lions must be thrilled at all these extra humans showing up to search -- just like a buffet lunch!

by Anonymousreply 6007/16/2021

R56 has it. Closeted. Stopped off to send $$$ and other valuables to his boyfriend’s place.

Boyfriend picked him up and they had a lovely afternoon tryst.

by Anonymousreply 6107/16/2021

Are you saying his boyfriend lives in the returns department of an online store?

by Anonymousreply 6207/16/2021

Since there is no crueler place than this vile pit of trollery, it should be mentioned that the clothes he wore on a run with a friend the day before were the same clothes he was wearing when he went missing.

by Anonymousreply 6307/17/2021

He could have had more than 1 pair of the shorts, R63 and otherwise he was merely wearing socks and shoes, he was shirtless. Wearing dirty damp clothes from a run the evening before seems quite odd. Do you have a link for this info? It has been a week, with the temps seems likely he is gone and his bones may be found in fall and winter when vegetation dies back. Very sad for the wife and tiny children.

Heat is dangerous, could have been a mountain lion or could have chosen to disappear. Was there ever more info on what he was mailing/shipping?

by Anonymousreply 6407/17/2021

Why does he have scabs on his forehead? His picture is really disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 6507/17/2021

r58 Please explain the significance of an Asian wife. Small dick? Gay?

by Anonymousreply 6607/17/2021

[quote]Do you have a link for this info?

It came from the FB group organizing the searches. I don't have an account, which limits my ability to go back beyond a certain point, but a post I saw at the beginning of the week mentioned a bright blue Suunto watch, gray socks, gray Saucony shoes with worn-down treads, and the same shorts and shirt he was wearing in the photo from the previous day's run. The shirt was found in his car.

I don't think there has been anything new on the package. The police would have gotten the tracking information, if not the package itself.

[quote]Police told ABC7 that Kreycik dropped off a package at a parcel store in Oakland before he vanished.

[quote]They say the package contained a return of some sort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6707/17/2021

Thanks, R67. Very odd, the clothes from the evening before would be damp, no? Long run in the hills? And usually runners are pretty diligent about replacing shoes regularly to avoid injury. Worn shoes could make sliding off a trail, etc, more likely. I would think someone who runs regularly owns more than 1 pair of shorts and one damp t shirt.

I can't put my finger on it but there is a very strange vibe about all of this. And yes, the skin on his forehead is also curious.

Very sad for the kids, esp. I hope he had a lot of life insurance. I knew a woman who lost her husband and she and the kids had to move w/in 30 days due to financial pressures. This man's kids are tiny. I hope the wife has a career and has family to help her.

by Anonymousreply 6807/17/2021

Here's the last photo, from 7/9.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6907/17/2021

He's disappeared so he can complete his transition and asks that you respect his privacy at this challenging time.

by Anonymousreply 7007/17/2021

Did they find him yet?

by Anonymousreply 7107/17/2021

Pings to the moon and back....plus the Asian wife.

by Anonymousreply 7207/17/2021

In happier days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7307/17/2021

[quote] He's disappeared so he can complete his transition and asks that you respect his privacy at this challenging time.

He’s going to chop that big ole dick off??

by Anonymousreply 7407/17/2021

No, R71. I just looked at the FB page, it is super sad.

I have had heat stroke and heat exhaustion and your thinking can get very messed up. I read a post that he may not even have carried water. Trail running or even slower hiking can easily lead to getting lost, w/o a phone and in unfamiliar territory. There is equipment that can send out a GPS signal, trail runners, hikers and campers would do well to get it, esp if solo.

Almost no chance of this ending well unless he did a runner and chose to disappear. I think it is much more likely that a run ended in tragedy.

What is known of the wife? I sincerely hope she has a strong support system.

by Anonymousreply 7507/17/2021

Couldn’t he have worn an Apple Watch to track his whereabouts and call for help?

by Anonymousreply 7607/17/2021

r25, well if it wasn't clear he enjoys the smell of cookies before, it is now...

by Anonymousreply 7707/17/2021

From FB group

David Selinger 18 hrs · IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE: There have been a number of mountain lion sightings this past week. Some by volunteers, some by Search and Rescue personnel, and others in the surrounding neighborhoods. After discussing this with the Kreycik family we want to remind all of our friends and the whole Find Philip family to please be careful this weekend. A few rules we would ask everyone to keep in mind: 1. Please do not go out at night. I am personally guilty of this, but it is the family’s explicit request to not do this going forward. 2. Please search in groups like we would assign—5-10 people, but never less than 2. 3. Stay aware of your surroundings. The family loves and appreciates all of the support. We *ALL* want to find Philip, but this risk is very real and they agree that it is the right thing to mitigate our risks by following these guidelines Please, please, please if you are going to go out and search this weekend please follow these 3 rules.

by Anonymousreply 7807/17/2021

Carry a megaphone with siren.. Mt Lions loathe them.

by Anonymousreply 7907/17/2021

I know this is off topic, but I can’t find the thread. What happened to that guy that had a homeless man living with him and was helping him out. If I recall correctly, no one saw him leave his home but he was not found in his home. Would anyone be kind enough to update me?

by Anonymousreply 8007/17/2021

Here you go...

[quote]Update, Feb. 17: Police said Wednesday they discovered the body of Christopher Woitel in a “three-foot crawl space” above his bathroom inside his residence, as they searched the apartment on Feb. 15.

[quote]“Personnel from the San Francisco Fire Department arrived and needed to cut a hole in the ceiling in order to retrieve Mr. Woitel’s remains,” police said in a news release. “Investigators determined that Mr. Woitel likely accessed the crawl space from the roof of the building and not from inside his apartment.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8107/17/2021

There is a spot where vultures have been seen circling repeatedly over a ravine. The terrain is difficult. Some of the trails are steep. If he was dizzy he could have slipped and tumbled.

He may have been slightly dehydrated from the evening before. That he might not have taken ANY water with him never occurred to me. I used to carry water in a belt trail running or distance running. The area seems quite easy to get lost in, esp w/o a phone. So many risks were taken, would not take much for a disastrous ending. If I am remembering correctly that mountain lions bury their kill, he may never be found.

by Anonymousreply 8207/17/2021

IT WASN’T A MOUNTAIN LION. “Sex traffickers” would be just as likely. Jeez.

Can someone explain to me why this guy wasn’t with his family? Or at work? His wife stuck at home with two very small children and he’s off running with a “friend”? Sorry, I don’t understand the logistics of this story. This guy just gets to go on these long runs during the day and has no other responsibilities?

by Anonymousreply 8307/17/2021

And what’s with the scabs on his forehead?

Something stinks with this story. Maybe the mug-cradlers at Websleuths know something.

by Anonymousreply 8407/17/2021

Asian wife? They'll probably find him bound and gagged, with a dildo up his rectum, at a no-tell motel

by Anonymousreply 8507/17/2021

There have been many sightings of mountain lions even during the search, so, quite possible. Obv, you have not read the thread.

Not sure @ forehead, skin seems clear in other photos.

How do you know the wife does not have her own career?

by Anonymousreply 8607/17/2021

R83, he was apparently supposed to pick his family up in Stockton, after stopping for a run...in two day old jogging shorts. Sounds like a real Prince.

by Anonymousreply 8707/17/2021

At times they have sought volunteers with experience rappelling. It is very possible he slipped on a steep trail in "worn" shoes and ended up in a ravine. It appears he may have brought NO water with him to run on steep trails in 3 digit heat, after having run a hilly route the previous evening. The bottom of ravines has not been searched thoroughly due to terrain and it is difficult for drones to get good images due to vegetation.

If he was injured, particularly, the mountain lion risk goes up.

by Anonymousreply 8807/17/2021

Investigators told KPIX concern over Kreycik is growing. They called Tuesday’s search critical as the area covered widens with a more organized and systematic approach.

“We specifically are going to focus on going about 100 meters off of each linear trail down deeper into the tree lines,” said Sgt. Ray Kelly with the Alameda Sheriff’s Special Operations Group.

Of course, he could be lower than that, but it is difficult terrain. I think they may not find him.

by Anonymousreply 8907/17/2021

[quote] Oh he left his phone and wallet in the car. I change my bet.

[quote] Faked his own death.

Karen, you need to take your Tapatalk ass over to Websleuths.

by Anonymousreply 9007/17/2021

In an update on Tuesday morning Alameda County Sheriff's Sgt. Ray Kelly said that they plan on searching 100 meters off each trail today, and that the volunteers are helping, not hindering the effort. Kelly also said the thermal imaging being used is able to pick up small animals, so it’s "concerning" they haven’t yet located Kreycik. Searchers are still hopeful, though, Kelly said.

Sounds like he is dead.

Small animals were detected with the heat sensing equipment used at night, as were mountain lions.

by Anonymousreply 9107/17/2021

Authorities believe they know the intended route Kreycik was going to run – about 8 miles – and that it is possible to slip off a ridge in the area, but that would not have been likely on his intended route.

“We’re left with basically two probabilities. One is that we’re not finding Philip here in the terrain and that he’s incapacitated. Or he’s not here.”

Given the terrain not having found him certainly seems possible. The latter statement, is that typical in such cases? Do they know something?

by Anonymousreply 9207/17/2021

Mountain lions can't drag anything larger than a deer, so there's no way he was attacked on the trail and then dragged away. On the other hand, if he fell down a ravine and was somehow incapacitated, a mountain lion could have gotten him. Still, someone should have seen signs of that by now. They also need more people who can rappel into the sketchier areas.

Mountain lions as nitpicky as the average baby-taste Datalounger in terms of what they'll eat. They're also meticulous in the way they deal with a carcass. While they like to hide fresh kills, that only applies to small, draggable animals and it usually just means they'll try to drag them under some brush and pile leaves, grass, fallen branches, and any other crap they can find on top. There's no burying involved. The unpalatable digestive organs are usually dragged away and hidden separately, because — Gurrrl, ew! — out of sight, out of mind.

by Anonymousreply 9307/17/2021

Investigators said they have found a watch and a spot of blood, neither of which belonged to Kreycik.

Authorities said at this time there are two scenarios – Kreycik is either “incapacitated,” or parked his car and left the area.

by Anonymousreply 9407/17/2021

It’s been shared that officials took his phone down the scheduled route to see if it would pair with his watch.

by Anonymousreply 9507/17/2021

He's dancing with his Daddy in Ibiza by now.

by Anonymousreply 9607/17/2021

It does not look like there is much shade on the trails. Several days in high heat w/o water, if he IS there seems likely he is deceased. If they could pick up small animals with the heat sensors and no sign of him, I can see where the authorities are going with the 2 scenarios, one not being in that area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9707/17/2021

It sounds like terrain it is easy to get lost in and it connects to another large park/wilderness area. Of concern is reports of people accidentally ending up in areas that were difficult to exit w/o ropes. Not sure how quickly the overnight heat sensing equipment was used, is it possible he was already dead?

"t is easy to get lost up there because the side trails look like the main trails and many of the main trails don't have signs that indicate they are main trails. Even experienced hikers get lost. See Trip Report: Tehan Falls December 2010

Also take a look at a comment regarding the City of Pleasanton managed Moller Ranch trails and the fact that the main trail is largely unmarked with few signs. It is easy to mistake a side unofficial trail (and there are many) with the main trail. The review stating this is on the left side of the page on the bottom. Driving directions to Moller Ranch Staging Area, 8107 Moller Ranch Dr, Pleasanton - Waze

If you take a side trail accidentally you are shortly in the wilderness whether you like it or not. Also regarding the Trip Report concerning Tehan Falls note that one of the commenters named Rob states that he went down a hill with a slope so steep that ropes were needed to get out of there.

Also the official EBRPD maps of the Pleasanton Ridge park don't even show the entrance from Moller Ranch trails which make it very confusing.

There are ravines between the ridgelines that are steeply sloped (not cliffs though) that they are impossible to get out of if you accidentally get in them unless you have climbing equipment.

Homes are only near the entrance in Moller Ranch and in the entrance off of The Preserve and the only homes at the top of Pleasanton Ridge are at the very top of Santos Ranch Road (there are 4), including the controversial 'Hayward Hotel' that was built in the 1990s."

by Anonymousreply 9807/17/2021

[quote]There is equipment that can send out a GPS signal, trail runners, hikers and campers would do well to get it, esp if solo.

Small nit pic, it would be backpackers not campers.

by Anonymousreply 9907/17/2021

I’m sorry, what kind of Harvard / MIT graduate doesn’t bring WATER with them to RUN in TRIPLE-DIGIT heat?

People are endangering their own lives to search for this idiot.

by Anonymousreply 10007/17/2021

Campers as well, Lenny.

by Anonymousreply 10107/17/2021

R82, vultures are never wrong. We have turkey vultures in my neighborhood and they are fascinating, with a remarkable ability to scent carrion:

"Turkey vultures have an extraordinary sense of smell. They have been known to be able to smell carrion from over a mile away, which is very unique in the bird world. The turkey vulture has the largest olfactory (smelling) system of all birds. Vultures prefer meat as fresh as possible and won’t eat extremely rotted carcasses. They can smell carrion only 12-24 hours old."

When you see one circling, it's because there's something dead or almost dead down there. It's usually just a squirrel or rabbit but it certainly could be something larger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10207/17/2021

R102, finally. The first sensible thing anyone has posted. Interesting. Just follow the vultures.

by Anonymousreply 10307/17/2021

R99, thanks, that is, in fact, what I meant.

Found this, if following the poorly marked trails was challenging for hikers, presumably for an elite and fast trail runner it could be that much easier to become lost and end up far out from the intended destination. Since he was supposed to be on a work call, maybe he attempted to cut back / find a shortcut and ran into difficulty?

The timeline seems so short with an 8 mile run in steep and rugged terrain, then a work call, then picking up the family, one place had that taking place at 2? Feeling pressed for time did he take a risk?

by Anonymousreply 10407/17/2021

Apparently (according to Websleuths), his car was parked at a “staging area” that wasn’t even connected to the trail he was planning to run.

Is this thing like Griffith Park, where one can find a trail to run but also a hookup spot?

by Anonymousreply 10507/17/2021

Yes they are, R100, and the SARS effort was also pretty extraordinary. I can't explain it, arrogance? I always brought water on long runs and trail runs, belts can be fairly comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 10607/17/2021

Are these baseball signals from authorities?

“We are definitely at a point where we are a little perplexed as to why we haven’t found Phillip yet. We’ll keep working. Where there’s hope, we’ll keep working,” said Alameda County Sheriff’s Sgt. Ray Kelly.

Although Wednesday’s search operations were scaling down, the investigation is picking up. Every detective in the Pleasanton Police Department is involved. They are currently going through Kreycik’s timeline on Saturday from the time he left his house to when he arrived to Pleasanton.

“We have yet to identify an eyewitness who saw him on that trail. And that’s why we’re asking for the public’s help,” explained Silacci.

by Anonymousreply 10707/17/2021

[quote] Is this thing like Griffith Park, where one can find a trail to run but also a hookup spot?

See, R102? R105 demonstrates trolling. Maybe the vultures will him if he ever leaves the basement. Easy prey.

by Anonymousreply 10807/17/2021

For what it's worth, I just searched Squirt for Pleasanton cruising spots and there is nothing listed.

by Anonymousreply 10907/17/2021

R104, he had a work call scheduled, too?

Sounds like he was pressed for lots of things… wife, small kids, demanding job…

Maybe he dipped out. Sometimes these very intelligent people have mental health issues. I find it plausible that he ran off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11007/17/2021

"They'll probably find him bound and gagged, with a dildo up his rectum, at a no-tell motel"

I still love my wife..

by Anonymousreply 11107/17/2021

Water and toilet paper: long distance runner's essentials.

by Anonymousreply 11207/17/2021

[quote]Is this thing like Griffith Park, where one can find a trail to run but also a hookup spot?

I mentioned above that the parking lot where his car was found is not the one for that. There's another one a couple of minutes away that is more wooded and doesn't have a built-in audience of houses at higher elevation overlooking it.

by Anonymousreply 11307/17/2021

"Officials say he is either 'incapacitated or unresponsive,' or he just isn't up in the Pleasanton hills."

R110, sounds like authorities share your theory.

Just sounds like a LOT going on in a very small window of time.

Those kids are tiny, very sad whatever scenario fits. The demeanor of his father, anyone else have thoughts re: that?

The package was discovered to be a return and he was seen dropping it off on a surveillance camera, very hectic morning.

by Anonymousreply 11407/17/2021

Killed by a soft butch sous chef?

by Anonymousreply 11507/17/2021

THE.CHILDREN !

by Anonymousreply 11607/17/2021

Bringing over from elsewhere. If this scenario happened he could be some distance from where the searches took place. If he ended up in more rugged territory, miles away, with no water in high temps, could easily have had heat stroke.

"So in between the area of the Moller Ranch trail where it comes to a dead end and the actual Pleasanton Ridge park, I believe but am not sure that there is a gated area which they call the "Land Bank" or "Landbank" that indicates the area is closed and not open to the public. The Find Philip Kreycik Facebook page had a poster comment "Don't forget the "secret" way into Pleasanton Ridge, via the Land Bank. May not show up on maps, since not opened to public yet." I am guessing that this is where he went to get from the Moller Ranch trail to the Pleasanton Ridge trail.

This is a more detailed description of the "Land Bank." Ascent of Main Ridge on 2017-11-15 - Peakbagger.com It says: "I parked on Moller Ranch Drive and went up a paved path towards a water tank, then veered right and continued steeply uphill. After crossing a small knoll the trail heads right until it reaches a fence, the right again following the fence line before opening out on a fire road. After about 3/4 mile you pass a park gate noting the edge of the land bank. From there it was another 1.25 miles on fire road to the crest, then right a few hundred feet to the summit."

If he did go through that area and got going the wrong direction, there is a very steep section that leads to Tehan Falls. I still don't know whether he made it onto Pleasanton Ridge trails. Also because the early reports say his scent was lost around the Moller Ranch trail near the water tank, it is possible that when he saw the gate about the closed off Land Bank, he might have turned around to go back.

A reviewer on Yelp refers to the trails through the Land Bank in as a "windy trail." The quote is "You can turn the usual 1.5 loop into a 7-20 mile run if you follow the windy trail through the [closed off?] land bank and into Pleasanton Ridge Park, which stretches all the way to Sunol."

by Anonymousreply 11707/17/2021

If he was dead prior to them using the thermal imaging tech, seems he could be under all this brush?

Or he could have headed down looking for some shade and had a mishap.

After all this time does not seem like this will have a good outcome.

I get that fast and competitive runners do not want to be slowed down by water and phones with maps and GPS but this was not a race, this was unfamiliar, steep terrain on an extremely hot day when he had been running hills the prior evening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11807/17/2021

R114, that’s true. He had a lot going on.

He dropped his package at a “parcel store”? Could there be any significance to that? As opposed to using the post office or scheduling a UPS/FedEx pickup?

by Anonymousreply 11907/17/2021

Why can’t people be microchipped like pets? It would come in handy in times like this and could save lives. I bet the wife wishes she’d microchipped him now.

by Anonymousreply 12007/17/2021

Generally pet microchips need a reader. There are GPS collars however.

by Anonymousreply 12107/17/2021

R119, I often drop packages off at a "parcel store" with a UPS counter, they have a contract with Amazon for returns.

by Anonymousreply 12207/17/2021

R120 A microchip wouldn't do any good in this case until you found the person

by Anonymousreply 12307/17/2021

It was said to be a return, if Amazon, a pick up is not free, dropping it off at a place with a UPS counter (some drugstores even have them) IS free.

by Anonymousreply 12407/17/2021

People really are trying to find him, quite sad all around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12507/17/2021

For his sake, I hope this is a case of him ditching the family for a bf/gf and is starting a new life.

Any all those folks speculating about his forehead…have you never seen zits before?

by Anonymousreply 12607/17/2021

Otherwise seems quite likely he is no longer alive, R126.

by Anonymousreply 12707/17/2021

They found him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12807/17/2021

[quote]Bringing over from elsewhere.

Where is elsewhere? It’s customary to post a link or attribute quoted material.

In any case, the chances of a runner/cyclist living in the East Bay not knowing all the ins and outs of the landbank are slim to none. The EBRPD hasn’t stopped talking about their plans for 10+ years; even giving tours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12907/17/2021

^^ make that “trail runner/cyclist.”

by Anonymousreply 13007/17/2021

How fierce mountain lions can be. One could've attacked him and he could have bled out somewhere in the brush.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13107/17/2021

They like to chase those moving quickly, like cyclists, so an elite runner would seem to fall into that category.

by Anonymousreply 13207/17/2021

What are your theories, R129?

by Anonymousreply 13307/17/2021

Okay, I searched a quote and found out where “elsewhere” is. I guess r117 doesn’t want us to know that she’s a Websleuth.

It’s the post from Friday, 7:30 a.m.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13407/17/2021

You have yet to share your insights, theories and contributions, R134.

by Anonymousreply 13507/17/2021

Are you seriously suggesting this very thin man weighs less than a full grown deer?

by Anonymousreply 13607/17/2021

Mountain lion dragging and burying a deer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13707/17/2021

Guess bear spray would have weighed him down too much too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13807/17/2021

Wake me when the (naked) autopsy photos appear.

by Anonymousreply 13907/17/2021

I have “shared” several times, Frau R135. I’m the one who used to run there.

by Anonymousreply 14007/17/2021

Long interview with wife

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14107/17/2021

Not a frau, perhaps your other observations are more astute. Glad your runs there were less eventful and safer. Was it always so stark or is that due to the drought?

Water, bear spray, a whistle and a phone could have made all the difference. Heat can be really dangerous and can really effect judgment and thinking. I have had heat stroke, with no water, shade or way to cool down, I can't even imagine how it could progress, esp if he was running on inclines before. If they used the heat sensing equipment that first night then maybe he isn't there, but seemed like that came later maybe? They could "see" small mammals, would he stop emitting heat that quickly? Disappearing seems like something out of a movie but he did seem smart enough.

Scary and sad. Glad they are telling searchers not to go out alone.

by Anonymousreply 14207/17/2021

Seems like they are scaling back volunteer search efforts, from the FB page

Tom Wooten > ‎Find Philip Kreycik Update as of 10 PM: As always, thanks to the many volunteers who continue to sustain this effort. Tomorrow, we will NOT be sending out hiking volunteers. We will have a volunteer at Foothill High School with flyers to post if you are interested. We are also beginning to strongly discourage independent searches for Philip at this point, as the ground that can be accessed by hikers has been thoroughly and repeatedly covered and we want everyone to remain safe.

by Anonymousreply 14307/17/2021

If he had been a blonde white woman instead Nancy Grace would have been on the case by now, demanding that all mountain lions in the area be killed immediately to protect "our young women, moms and children."

by Anonymousreply 14407/17/2021

R110, I had never seen that story before. Interesting!

by Anonymousreply 14507/17/2021

R145, isn’t that a wild story? I feel terrible for the family he left behind. Of course it was easier to disappear back then.

I also think about those hoaxers who reappear after going “missing” like this. Got a file full of *them*, too. Usually it’s women, but a few men have done the same thing.

Really, the most likely answer is that he succumbed to heat stroke and is dead off the trail. But there have been quite a few stories where the person has gone missing on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 146Last Sunday at 3:16 AM

R146, the story is interesting enough on its own and the allegations of insurance fraud add an extra layer of intrigue. I was trying to find out whether Myers and his husband had to pay the $800,000 back to the insurance company. I think he was refusing to do so and his ex-wife alleged that he decided to 'return' only to claim his inheritance from his parents.

Call me shallow but I thought he looked kinda hot as an older guy with a shaved head.

by Anonymousreply 147Last Sunday at 4:04 AM

The thing about his forehead thingies is that there is a cluster of those things in one area and none anywhere else. Maybe that’s how acne works. I’ve been blessed with relatively clear skin, so.

by Anonymousreply 148Last Sunday at 4:47 AM

It's common enough that it is on the cop's radar as a possibility, R146.

Seems like he will not be found until the foliage dies back.

I have done solo trail runs and hikes, rethinking safety measures now. Having had heat stroke in an area close to air con, water, etc, I have a LOT of respect for what it can do in more rugged terrain. It fucks up your thinking and decision making. Grateful to have been luckier.

by Anonymousreply 149Last Sunday at 4:50 AM

R66 There is a rumor on DL that closeted gay men marry Asian women.

R120 That isn’t how microchips work. Pet microchips do not have PA technology. You can use them to scan an animal and find its owner, but they do not have tracking technology. That is too expensive and the technology just isn’t there yet.

by Anonymousreply 150Last Sunday at 5:08 AM

Officials believe that Kreycik is either incapacitated or not in the general area, and have not ruled out foul play. "We're not ruling anything out at this time. We have an investigation team who is pursuing all of those leads right now," Silacci said.

There was a SM post that someone had reported to police that they had seen him on the trail that day, otherwise I think there may have been a doorbell camera shot? If neither of those are true there is only the car in the lot and nothing to put him in the park. Not all surrounding land owners have allowed their property to be searched. In a ravine that cannot be searched due to terrain does seem the most likely. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 151Last Sunday at 5:13 AM

[quote] There is a rumor on DL that closeted gay men marry Asian women.

Well, that settles that. So compelling. Let the search team know. Just send a tweet.

by Anonymousreply 152Last Sunday at 5:23 AM

Presumably the rumor applies only to white men who marry Asian women and not to Asian men who marry Asian women?

by Anonymousreply 153Last Sunday at 5:28 AM

Not just on DL, been around for ages

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154Last Sunday at 5:40 AM

Why would they do this soon? Esp if it has not happened already? I could see crowdsourcing to hire a search team to continue but don't recall another family doing this?

"The family said they will soon start a crowdsourcing campaign to help this community, perhaps to help fund other search and rescues."

by Anonymousreply 155Last Sunday at 5:50 AM

"NikSamuelle · 7h UPDATE: They’re calling off volunteer hikers tomorrow (Sunday) and “strongly” discouraging independent searches. Source: Facebook thread, which they have now closed to comments. Very sad. There must have been a development we’re not aware of to prompt them to turn away volunteers on a Sunday, one of the highest-yield days for volunteers."

by Anonymousreply 156Last Sunday at 5:56 AM

Why is holding the poor child upside down in one of the photos?

by Anonymousreply 157Last Sunday at 6:00 AM

Some kids like that, R157.

This case had a happy income after a week but the difference in seasons and temperatures does not bode well. They were elderly though. "Strongly discouraging" continued searching for Philip may be due to accessible areas having been covered and a large number of mountain lion sightings, particularly yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158Last Sunday at 6:07 AM

OUTcome

by Anonymousreply 159Last Sunday at 6:12 AM

From FB page

Neighborhood cameras checked by police could neither confirm, nor rule out, Philip entering the park. Scent dogs tracked him to the start of the trail but no further: many explanations exist for why they may have lost the scent there even if he continued on. Footprints matching his running shoes were found and photographed within the park.

by Anonymousreply 160Last Sunday at 6:34 AM

The terrain makes is seem increasingly unlikely he will be found soon

From FB Search page

Yes, this has been extensively used by rescue agencies using a variety of aircraft. Generally daytime temperatures were too high for it to be useful, and the nature of the terrain made many areas impenetrable to aerial thermal imaging. Handheld flaring and imaging was also done in primary search zones.

by Anonymousreply 161Last Sunday at 6:38 AM

[quote] Not all surrounding land owners have allowed their property to be searched.

Why would someone refuse access to those searching for a lost hiker who might be injured/dead? Illegally growing pot maybe?

by Anonymousreply 162Last Sunday at 6:57 AM

[quote] Why have they said "He may be disoriented" so frequently?

Because he was frequently disoriented.

by Anonymousreply 163Last Sunday at 7:01 AM

That was my thought, R162. Or the property owner may have a type of fence/wall that makes accessing the property from the park exceedingly unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 164Last Sunday at 7:40 AM

If you're going to refuse access to your property for any reason, then I hope you'd go search for him yourself (and do it right). I wouldn't welcome a bunch of strangers roaming around my place but sometimes you've got to think of others instead of just your own interests.

by Anonymousreply 165Last Sunday at 7:47 AM

Someone once posted a video of a cyclist who was being pursued by a mountain lion. You could hear the clicking of his claws on the pavement on camera. It eventually jumped the guy from behind, the man survived but only because his companion scared it off. I can easily imagine this happening to some idiot with earbuds on, oblivious to everything. I can't believe people do this.

by Anonymousreply 166Last Sunday at 7:55 AM

If the terrain/fence/wall makes access from that side near impossible it is more understandable, but, yes, R165. A solid high wall at the top of rugged terrain vs. barbed wire on a downhill, kwim?

If in the park he is likely in one of the ravines with dense foliage that makes searching, drones, thermal sensing, etc, difficult if not impossible. After this amount of time, in high temps, with no water, it is all likely moot, sadly. The missing elderly couple survived a week in February, quite different temps, and they had access to water from puddles.

Safety protocols being promoted in the trail running community could be life saving for others.

Very sad for the family. Maybe he was one of those smart guys who lacked common sense or perception of risk, or maybe it was a bad day that turned tragic.

by Anonymousreply 167Last Sunday at 7:55 AM

Agree, R166 and they pursue fast moving "prey" like cyclists and fast runners. Several mountain lions have been seen during the search in daylight hours. Those who dismissed the risk upthread may be solo hikers or trail runners themselves. They can drag a full grown buck, which weights more than an elite trail runner skinny guy. Or he could just be in a ravine. Often missing are found quite close to trails /trailheads, in areas that were searched repeatedly, but they were not seen due to dense foliage. The ravine the vultures have been seen circling over on multiple days is impassible but a likely final resting spot. At this point, can't imagine him being found soon. And, heading into fire season, maybe, ever.

Given the hectic morning and compressed timeline, an accident seems far more likely than a staged disappearance.

If the family were to do some kind of fundraising for a non-profit cause, promoting outdoor safety seems a good one, unless that would feel like criticizing their loved one. He misjudged the risks though, and with those temps, very little margin for error, esp having run hills the day before. A phone, water, a whistle, a GPS tracker all simple things that could have been life saving. The norms for trail running should change. Heat stroke is no joke. If you have ever had it you will respect how dangerous it is and how it fucks up your thinking. Cannot imagine it in that terrain.

by Anonymousreply 168Last Sunday at 8:04 AM

^Your recollection is slightly off

by Anonymousreply 169Last Sunday at 8:10 AM

Which part, R169? Please link your corrected info so we can all learn.

by Anonymousreply 170Last Sunday at 8:13 AM

Heat stroke symptoms:

The symptoms include:

Body temperature of 104°F or higher obtained using a rectal thermometer Altered mental state such as confusion, agitation, irritability, disorientation, delirium Altered behavior such as slurred speech, staggering Seizures, coma Alteration in sweat leading to dry skin Headache Dizziness or lightheadedness Nausea and/or vomiting Flushed or reddened skin Rapid or fast breathing and heart beat Muscle weakness or cramps

Running on steep terrain in 3 digit heat, particularly if a bit dehydrated from running hills 18 hours before could certainly induce heat stroke. Heat stroke fucks up your thinking. The emergency treatments to cool the body are not available in a baking rugged park with no water.

Becoming disoriented, confused, dizzy and impaired thinking are all common symptoms. Cooling the body with shade, water, air con, ice and cool baths can help bring down internal temp. Falling and stumbling become more likely.

by Anonymousreply 171Last Sunday at 8:20 AM

Common meds such as antihistamines and antidepressants can impair the body's cooling system. Respect that heat can kill. A woman on a hike had seizures and died from heat stroke while even young kids in the group were ok. No indication that meds were a factor for the missing runner but many are unaware of how they can increase risk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172Last Sunday at 8:26 AM

This was another sad case. She was merely hiking, not running at high speed, was not alone and they DID attempt to cool her down. Heat stroke can be fatal. If you regularly take meds and exercise outdoors, check the list at R172. Or, be cautious re: outdoor activity in extreme temps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173Last Sunday at 8:28 AM

Not really R169. I distinctly remember this.

by Anonymousreply 174Last Sunday at 8:37 AM

But if you have that video link pls do post R169.

by Anonymousreply 175Last Sunday at 8:39 AM

I once had heat stroke from just reading and taking sun 45 minutes on my aunt's roof terrace in southern Spain. The whitewashed walls around me created an oven effect.

I noticed labored breathing. I tried to rise but I could not. I crawled to the stairs and called out but my voice was weak. I crawled down the stairs a bit (head first) and was discovered by a cousin. Then all hell broke loose like an Almodovar film. Spanish ladies screaming "Tonto" and "que tonteria" and dousing me with water and applying ice packs.

It happened so quickly. Very unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 176Last Sunday at 8:42 AM

I hope this man is alive, ala Sherri Papini, but the chances are slim.

by Anonymousreply 177Last Sunday at 8:42 AM

Yeah, heat stroke is no joke. It effects coordination and thinking. Even with ice and water nearby it is very serious. Glad you are ok, R176. I am way more cautious myself now having suffered it.

by Anonymousreply 178Last Sunday at 9:12 AM

Not the poster who mentioned the cyclist but there are plenty of vids re: mountain lions attacking cyclists, even in CA. Mountain lions have been encountered during the search for Phil as have their kills.

Here is just one example. I have read that quickly moving prey attracts their attention, so cyclists and anyone who runs that fast, for example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179Last Sunday at 9:16 AM

Our trip lead on a backpacking trip neglected to tell us she had been having GI problems for a week and would have to turn around. We were on a mountain pass well above tree level with nothing around us but granite boulders. Luckily she was in really good physical shape. By the time we boulder hopped our way down to the trees for shade she wasn't making any sense and had quit sweating. She cooled down and we spent the next day resting at the mountain lake.

by Anonymousreply 180Last Sunday at 9:52 AM

Yeah, when you stop sweating it is getting bad. Shade and cooling off in water are ideal. If you carry a daypack, a few of those instant cool packs are light. In the armpits, back of neck and groin they can help a great deal with lowering internal temp. It took me 2 days or so to feel fully recovered. Carrying some salt helps too.

Glad it worked out, R180, granite does such a great job absorbing heat, scary.

by Anonymousreply 181Last Sunday at 1:30 PM

And while law enforcement officials on Thursday afternoon said they would scale back the hunt for Kreycik, emergency personnel resumed the search this weekend, a dispatcher with the Alameda County Sheriff's Office told Patch on Saturday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182Last Sunday at 2:10 PM

R162, maybe they didn’t want to be liable for a bunch of random people on their property. Someone slips and falls and all of a sudden you’re getting sued.

If it’s the police or fire department personnel, sure. Some civilian group of people I don’t know? I would probably say “no”, too.

by Anonymousreply 183Last Sunday at 2:48 PM

R183, when our neighborhood volunteer group cleans the creekbed, they need permission from the owner of each property that abuts the creek. They give the owner written waivers of liability for any injury volunteers might suffer while on the property.

by Anonymousreply 184Last Sunday at 3:01 PM

R175 it's above in an earlier comment

by Anonymousreply 185Last Sunday at 4:01 PM

This seems the most likely scenario to me, bringing over

Where the reports of vultures have been seen circling - is the drop-off/ravine directly next to a trail? Yes, it is close I think. It is near Marker 48 with coordinates 37.6714910, -121.9645460 according to the Facebook post Karen Williams and there were about a dozen vultures. Other groups reported seeing them too. Karen's comment was "The side next to the trail is an extremely steep drop-off; it looked like there might be easier access to the ravine from the other side, but still pretty hairy."

Easy to slip in worn running shoes, he could have been dizzy, etc, from the heat. Due to the terrain, not sure how they will search that area. The vultures have been seen over several days. With the vegetation drones are not of much use now is heat sensing equipment. Of course, it could be an animal the vultures are interested in, but, it is likely he is somewhere in a ravine in that park. They do have a good record of finding people quickly but the unusual heat probably was a huge factor in this particular case, along with no water, no phone, slightly dehydrated from the hill run the prior evening and fewer people out on the trails due to the very high temps. He also was going at kind of an off hour, the trails may have been busier earlier when it was cooler. The number of mountain lion sightings is also notable. Very sad, all around.

by Anonymousreply 186Last Sunday at 4:17 PM

Here is a link to some photos of where the vultures have been seen repeatedly. The area is so open and baked looking, then there is the dense brush in the ravine. Maybe he slipped, maybe he was searching for water, we may never know. The falls there is dry. I can only imagine this was all far more lush prior to the drought.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187Last Sunday at 4:21 PM

People actually go running alone in triple-digit temperatures without WATER?! Am I the only one who’s not comprehending this?

I don’t even feel bad for this man. He was monumentally stupid and arrogant.

I hope his wife has some sort of life insurance policy to help support those poor babies. And I hope they’re not as stupid as their Harvard/MIT father.

by Anonymousreply 188Last Sunday at 4:27 PM

R188 how do we know he didn't have water with him?

by Anonymousreply 189Last Sunday at 4:28 PM

I think his father spoke about it, using the word hydration. He was known to run with only keys. He also left his phone and wallet in the car. Apparently these elite trail runners do not like to be "weighted down." He had also run a hilly course in Berkeley the evening before so may have been slightly dehydrated from that.

Sometimes book smart folks lack common sense. His frame of reference was much cooler Berkeley.

Many runners, bikers and hikers who would frequent the park that day would have gone early, there can't have been all that many around in the hottest part of the day. Had he stayed on or near a trail he likely would have been found in a day or two.

Agree, R188, I knew a woman who lost her husband in an accident and she and the very young kids had to move within a month, could not pay the mortgage.

In a colder climate the vegetation would die back in the winter, there, I am not sure how/when he will be found if in a ravine.

by Anonymousreply 190Last Sunday at 4:59 PM

Apparently the area is full of poison oak that grows up to 10 ft, another search challenge in the ravines. There are also rattlesnakes, in addition to the mountain lions and bobcats.

by Anonymousreply 191Last Sunday at 5:17 PM

Do we even know if he actually went running? That may have been a cover story

by Anonymousreply 192Last Sunday at 5:58 PM

Mountain lions, bobcats AND rattlesnakes.

Get a treadmill.

by Anonymousreply 193Last Sunday at 6:08 PM

SARS dogs tracked his scent to the trailhead. No confirmation past that point. There was a SM post that claimed that someone had contacted cops to say they saw him running but that was not mentioned in any of the media accounts I have seen. Authorities say he is either "incapacitated" or not in the park.

He was supposed to be on a work call shortly after the run and to pick up his family in another town, which is why his wife was said to call him in as missing at 2pm.

by Anonymousreply 194Last Sunday at 6:26 PM

Post on FB Search page, maybe he is in a different area entirely?

"With the information about the girl possibly seeing him ready to cross the street by Walmart on Santa Rita, has the trail there (looks like it leads to Livermore based on a quick map search) been checked yet? Or plans to walk that? Not sure if SAR/police has already done this?"

by Anonymousreply 195Last Sunday at 7:28 PM

Have they checked the nearby motels?

by Anonymousreply 196Last Sunday at 7:38 PM

Have they checked the cabins?

by Anonymousreply 197Last Sunday at 7:38 PM

Have they checked the baths?

by Anonymousreply 198Last Sunday at 9:57 PM

In the photo from R82's post his face looks huge compared to his neck. It makes it look like someone zoomed in on the face, enlarged it and then Photoshopped it onto the rest of the picture.

by Anonymousreply 199Last Sunday at 10:05 PM

[quote] Apparently these elite trail runners do not like to be "weighted down."

These "elite" runners, cyclists, triathletes etc all come off as entitled douchebags. I work with one of those types who considers himself an elite cyclist. He is unbearably precious and pretentious about his cycling.

by Anonymousreply 200Last Sunday at 10:08 PM

This is why I never exercise.

by Anonymousreply 201Last Sunday at 10:29 PM

[quote] He dropped his package at a “parcel store”? Could there be any significance to that? As opposed to using the post office or scheduling a UPS/FedEx pickup?

The package has been retrieved. In it are two passports, a flip phone, some unmarked bills, and a Chapstick. What does it mean?

by Anonymousreply 202Last Sunday at 10:46 PM

In the days before cell phones were common, I'd bicycle from Magnolia to Seward Park in Seattle. 28 miles roundtrip. After a few flat tyres, I never left home without a helmet (duh), my debit card to pay for having a flat tyre repaired, and a quarter (a quarter!) to use at a pay phone (a semi convenient pay phone) to call a cab to drive me home so I could drive to pick up my bike (I had a bike rack that attached to the car). It didn't happen often, but it really was no fun walking my bike back home with a flat.

by Anonymousreply 203Last Sunday at 11:57 PM

The resumed weekend SARS searches found nothing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204Last Monday at 4:11 AM

Maybe he will not be found

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205Last Monday at 4:25 AM

More detail on what was searched yesterday

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206Last Monday at 4:28 AM

Oh well. He died what he loved doing.

It always cracks me up when people credit search dogs for all these achievements, but they never seem to find what they’re looking for. In this case, the dogs just lost the scent a short distance down the trail. Of course, it’s the hot and dry weather that diapered the scent. I saw a FB comment where some frau recommended a particular “K-9 PI”. Said she’d hired the service to find her missing dog, and they didn’t actually FIND the dog, but they’re really good.

No wonder they can’t find the guy.

by Anonymousreply 207Last Monday at 4:31 AM

^^ “dispersed”, not diapered!

Autocorrect thinks it’s really cute, doesn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 208Last Monday at 4:32 AM

What does your post criticizing some rando on SM have to do with the extensive searching by highly skilled SARS teams, R207? Maybe stay off the interwebs and enjoy your life more?

by Anonymousreply 209Last Monday at 4:38 AM

What does SARS mean? The disease?

by Anonymousreply 210Last Monday at 5:16 AM

Yeah, you are exactly right, R210

by Anonymousreply 211Last Monday at 5:27 AM

I've never known a depressive/bipolar to improve with therapy . Instead they've done much better in AA where they have a program of action, group support and sponsorship and, most importantly, the emphasis on freeing oneself from the bondage of self so one can be of service to others.

Therapy goes deeper and deeper into self stirring the same garbage around for years. I

How does this make you feel?

by Anonymousreply 212Last Monday at 5:38 AM

R203, did you ever consider learning how to fix a flat tire? Seriously, if someone has the wherewithal to ride 28 miles, learning a basic bike skill such as fixing a flat is a no brainer. A biker paying someone to fix a flat tire is like paying someone to change a light bulb.

by Anonymousreply 213Last Monday at 5:45 AM

R212, I don't disagree but did you mean to post that in the thread about the runner missing in a park in CA.

by Anonymousreply 214Last Monday at 5:51 AM

^^ DL is on the fritz.

by Anonymousreply 215Last Monday at 6:07 AM

If one is in a thread and the thread is deleted as one is writing the post goes to one's last active thread.

by Anonymousreply 216Last Monday at 6:11 AM

Interesting, R216. I had that happen once and had no idea why.

by Anonymousreply 217Last Monday at 6:15 AM

You see, this is what you get for exercising- you fall into crevices and shit. You don’t see that happening on My 600lb Life, do you?

by Anonymousreply 218Last Monday at 6:18 AM

Fast as he may have run, he could not escape a Beat down with the ugly stick.

by Anonymousreply 219Last Monday at 6:25 AM

Death awaited many of them, too, R218.

Can't imagine how the family goes on if he is never found. Will they hope he abandoned them and is still alive? There have been huge resources devoted to the search. Still seems possible that he could be in a ravine and have been missed or that he was buried by a mountain lion. Remains are often located in previously searched areas.

If the sighting by the Walmart WAS him he could be in a different park entirely from where they are searching.

by Anonymousreply 220Last Monday at 6:27 AM

[quote] Then all hell broke loose like an Almodovar film. Spanish ladies screaming "Tonto" and "que tonteria" and dousing me with water and applying ice packs.

Thanks for the first and surely best laugh of the week.

by Anonymousreply 221Last Monday at 6:34 AM

The guy may not have been hot, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him ugly.

Behold, the true face of ugliness

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222Last Monday at 6:40 AM

He may have been spotted running in the park that day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223Last Monday at 8:13 AM

Running apps are trying to help identify possible witnesses who may have seen him in the park that day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224Last Monday at 8:16 AM

Is he profiled on NAMUS? It's not good when you are entered into that database.

by Anonymousreply 225Last Monday at 8:48 AM

I think if he is found now, it will be happenstance, like this disappearance in the same area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226Last Monday at 10:40 AM

Not the same rescue mission, but damn these people going off into dangerous situations without a decent plan is costing a ton of bucks and unnecessary turmoil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227Last Monday at 10:56 AM

I wonder if R3 is the deranged person who is usually first comment on any board. This troll constantly mocks the appearance of others, as if we can't see whatever it is this asshole is pointing out. Usually it's about them being fat.

While we sit around shitting on woke culture, the best part (in my opinion) is that this type of bullying is frowned upon. It's not "literal violence" and maybe bullying is an imperfect term. But it definitely makes you ask, what's wrong with someone like R3 who lives on this shitty website and is usually the first person to comment on anything, but the only thing he can think to share are his obvious observations about the physicality of the subject (or how sexually unattractive he finds them).

Been noticing this a lot lately. Yesterday or maybe a few days before, someone commented on a gay youtuber and his mom and felt the need to point out they thought the young gay guy was gross (Because he's effeminate) and his mom has some iffy plastic surgery. I'll totally weigh in on boards about a celeb's plastic surgery, but to instinctively, constantly, and quickly respond on every board with unnecessary cruelty is deranged. There's nothing creative about it. There's no joke. Its just poison and I'd bet money R3 hates the way he looks in real life. Am I wrong?

by Anonymousreply 228Last Monday at 11:26 AM

Why not just block the troll and move on, R228? Life is too short.

The outpouring of community support to look for the missing guy is heartwarming. Chose where to put your focus in life.

by Anonymousreply 229Last Monday at 11:31 AM

Why run in that heat? I can’t get myself to run on a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 230Last Monday at 12:00 PM

This dude sounds usefull

Pat McAnaney There are numerous locations where a person could slip off the trail and find himself sliding quite a way downhill and possibly into some of these narrow creekbeds and gullies. I ran up to the ridge today and cut down towards Tehan Cyn Rd. on a very steep side trail. Bushwhacked up the canyon following some circling turkey vultures without result. I've been an experienced back-country hiker and tracker for 37 years and always go with plenty of water and my locator. I plan to return when I can. I don't believe that Philip will be that far from his car. This area has any number of difficult-to-access spots that can still be searched.

by Anonymousreply 231Last Monday at 12:46 PM

Dear Cunt at r209, it’s relevant because lots of times, the “K-9 Unit” is some rando amateur with a rescue dog in a blue vest.

Was the dog who lost Phillip’s scent a SFPD K-9? What are its credentials?

Any frau can hang a shingle and claim to have a “search dog”. Lots of nosy true crime people want to be involved in a case. Doesn’t make them “skilled”.

by Anonymousreply 232Last Monday at 1:42 PM

My city only uses police K-9s, I was not aware others did not, R232. Most who go missing in Bay area parks are found quickly, this did not go that way. Scent dissipates pretty soon esp if he was moving fast and thousands of people have now passed through the area where the scent was lost. Since pretty early on the cops have said, incapacitated or not there, we may never know.

If people have the means they can hire to augment search teams, most take what is on offer, in this case, there are also many volunteers, of varying utility. Lots of tech companies seem to be trying to help too but the terrain blunts the impact of images, etc. In this particular case it was thought that the high heat and low humidity caused the scent to dissipate quickly, who knows? Seems he may not be found until the foliage dies back and even then, sometimes it is years before remains are found, even close to the trail or a parking lot.

The adjoining park with linked trails that also has rugged terrain seems worth a look, the location of the property that refused SARS access may or may not be a significant place to have missed searching.

Hopefully the runner who told a park employee she believed she saw someone fitting his description running on the trail can be found, might help pinpoint his route and possible location or even presence in the park.

He dropped off the package then there was a significant gap in time before he started the run. With the heat, most would have run or cycled earlier so the trails had fewer witnesses. Maybe he hit traffic. But with a work call shortly after the run was due to end and then having to pick up his wife and little kids, it all seems pretty compressed and tight, time wise. And, if he got lost he may have tried a short cut to get back to his phone/car and got into trouble. Still, seems like you would run earlier and then drop off a return to make sure not to be late for the work call. Running very fast on unfamiliar poorly marked trails w/o a phone or map and with a work obligation directly after just does not make that much sense. If his wife and kids were away, he could have run hours earlier, then futzed around. Going out at midday in extreme heat to run on hills w/o water also makes little sense...If it had been a bit cooler he would have had more margin and the heat sensing equipment might have been more effective the first night.

Hopefully other athletes will develop better safety practices for the heat, that would be a positive to come from this.

by Anonymousreply 233Last Monday at 2:04 PM

How exciting this is! My sphincter is clenched to the max, I promise.

by Anonymousreply 234Last Monday at 2:43 PM

R234 Yet, oddly, you are here taking part.

by Anonymousreply 235Last Monday at 2:51 PM

Was he pre-lubed?

by Anonymousreply 236Last Monday at 3:28 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237Last Monday at 5:12 PM

Do scavenger birds go for the moist rectum first?

by Anonymousreply 238Last Monday at 8:50 PM

[quote] Do scavenger birds go for the moist rectum first?

R238 Based on the post-mortem pictures of your father, yes.

by Anonymousreply 239Last Monday at 9:02 PM

Go fund me? Isn't he a wealthy techie?

by Anonymousreply 240Last Monday at 9:15 PM

R233, your city must be full of fraus with search dogs then, fraus who have hung their shingles. Because everyone knows fraus love to get search dogs and 'hang a shingle' in towns without a dedicated K-9 unit. It's their national sport. Right up there with mug-cradling. How could you not know that?

Any time you see random search and rescue coverage on the evening news, you don't see 230lb balding middle-aged men with face-pussy beards with their search dogs do you? No, no you don't. Don't say that you do because I'm telling you, you don't. What you are seeing is see fraus with their rescue coonhounds. Amateur fraus who hung their shingles. You can tell R232 really knows what he's talking about because he said 'hang a shingle'. Seventy years ago when someone used that phrase everyone stood back in awe that they were in the presence of someone who knew their shit! What happened?

by Anonymousreply 241Last Monday at 10:21 PM

R228, i am R3. The reason I posted that is because I'm attracted to overweight, schlubby looking guys, but since I'm only average/sorta cute, they're never interested in me, despite the fact that they're overweight and so thoroughly reviled by the gay community (especially Datalounge) that you'd think they'd be less picky. But nooooo, they are choosy and flaky as hell. Also, I'm not sure why you have an issue with me pointing out someone's physical imperfections; did you miss the "pointless bitchery" sign at the entrance? It's the fucking raison d'etre of this place.

by Anonymousreply 242Last Tuesday at 3:24 AM

[R213], there you go, making sense! You make a perfect point. I always reasoned that if somebody who knew what they were doing replaced the tyre, I wouldn't experience the damn thing going flat again due to some mistake I made. Plus, most of the guys a the bike shops were hot.

by Anonymousreply 243Last Tuesday at 3:29 AM

Shut up, R242. Stop trolling this site. You're only here to cast a wide net and perpetuate stereotypes of gay men.

Go crawl back in bed with your wife. Just straighten her CPAP mask so you both can sleep.

by Anonymousreply 244Last Tuesday at 3:30 AM

Alameda County Sheriff K-9 unit

Don't really look like fraus and no mugs in sight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245Last Tuesday at 5:04 AM

The SAR people may be volunteers but they seem pretty highly trained.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246Last Tuesday at 5:24 AM

R210, SAR stands for "search and rescue". I don't know why the final S is often added on DL and social media -- careless typing maybe, or Autocorrect? I've seen SART used sometimes in published articles, meaning "search and rescue team", but I don't see SARS used in published material.

by Anonymousreply 247Last Tuesday at 5:44 AM

What does the final S stand for?

by Anonymousreply 248Last Tuesday at 9:57 AM

Is that Ryan Gosling? He’s helping too?

by Anonymousreply 249Last Tuesday at 9:57 AM

The police are investigating all possibilities and said financials are being looked at. Horrible for the family, any which way. Hope the wife has an income.

by Anonymousreply 250Last Tuesday at 9:58 AM

Financials are being looked at meaning he withdrew money and ran away?

by Anonymousreply 251Last Tuesday at 9:59 AM

From early on the authorities have said he is incapacitated (or they would have found him, heard him, etc) or not in the park. Which theory is correct is still unknown.

by Anonymousreply 252Last Tuesday at 10:05 AM

Years ago something like this happened near where I live. People go jogging along Mulholland in the bike path area. Apparently, some guy just tripped on something and fell down into the canyon and died. (Or maybe he had some kind of heart attack or stroke while jogging and just took a tumble down into the canyon.) Anyway, I guess his family filed a missing persons report, but no one really knew where to look.

Months later some kids were flying a kite on the nearby overlook and the kite went down. Being little monkeys, they decided to try to climb down and retrieve it. In the process, they discovered the corpse.

When I came home from work that evening, there were all kinds of cops and retrieval people there. The guest house I rented had the closest flat area to set things up, and they wanted access to my back patio. It took them about an hour to haul the guy out in a body bag. Apparently, I'd been living about 50 feet uphill from a dead body for about six months.

by Anonymousreply 253Last Tuesday at 10:29 AM

R248, when SARS is used to refer to a medical condition it stands for "severe acute respiratory syndrome". An abbreviation for "search and rescue" is SAR -- I'm not aware of a final letter S standing for a 4th word after "search and rescue". If the abbreviation SARS is used to refer to a search and rescue operation, I think that's an error.

by Anonymousreply 254Last Tuesday at 10:29 AM

So R211 and his sarcastic ass is actually wrong.

by Anonymousreply 255Last Tuesday at 10:41 AM

R255, maybe I'm the one who's wrong, but I do know that SARS the medical condition is not the same thing as SAR the search and rescue procedure.

This is what's wrong with using acronyms and initialisms too freely -- they're imprecise and can be confusing.

by Anonymousreply 256Last Tuesday at 11:00 AM

It is a common autocorrect. Given the context it is pretty easy to figure out.

by Anonymousreply 257Last Tuesday at 11:08 AM

Wow, R253. Guess it is good that he was found eventually so his family could have some closure. Bodies are often found in areas that were searched. It will likely take the foliage dying back, the park Philp was in has some rugged terrain. If not found quickly it usually is a happenstance thing it seems. Cannot imagine what it is like for his wife and the little kids will likely have no memory of him.

by Anonymousreply 258Last Tuesday at 11:15 AM

The plot thickens, OP, there is some sort of well or mine shaft in that park. There are also caves. Probably hidden by brush/foliage. Not looking good. One more reason to buy a treadmill.

by Anonymousreply 259Last Tuesday at 1:57 PM

He’s dead and his bones are scavenged.

If he were in a heavily wooded area with lots of game, hunters would find his bones.

I’m not sure who or what will find him. Like most others think, he fell and is hidden by rock or foliage.

by Anonymousreply 260Last Tuesday at 2:24 PM

“Shaft” in the park, like cock?

by Anonymousreply 261Last Tuesday at 2:36 PM

Or he could have gotten off the planned trail and ended up in a larger park with even more rugged terrain, some have speculated. I have not hear of that being searched, except one canyon where noises were heard at night. Maybe when the foliage dies back in winter. There are a few people with a lot of expertise who are continuing to search. One guy found a recent handprint in a cave, he assumes it was a searcher. Someone like him, with a lot of tracking and bush experience might be the best bet. Impassible ravines and 10 ft tall poison oak + mountain lions, bobcats and rattlesnakes sounds nightmarish. Treadmills, people.

Hope he had good life insurance. The news coverage has focused, understandably, on the wife and his parents, dunno if the wife is from China or was born here. Hope she has a good support system, those kids are tiny.

by Anonymousreply 262Last Tuesday at 3:07 PM

Lassie will rescue him from the abandoned mine shaft!

by Anonymousreply 263Last Tuesday at 3:08 PM

They found the missing Olympic Ugandan weightlifter in Tokyo today so hopefully this guy could be found too.

by Anonymousreply 264Last Tuesday at 3:11 PM

But he didn’t want to be found ^

by Anonymousreply 265Last Tuesday at 3:33 PM

R253, did you notice an odor or increased vulture or other scavenger behavior during that time?

by Anonymousreply 266Last Tuesday at 3:50 PM

Some are side-eyeing that the Go Fund Me goal was just raised to $100,000. To say that the proceeds are to help with the search seems a bit odd, SAR and cops and volunteers are free. Maybe would be better to say for support of kids or education or something? Dunno much about these accounts but maybe could have been private for friends and family and not public? The idea that the family was going to start a S&R non=profit also seemed kinda odd.

Has anyone seen footage of the wife and father? Seem credible to you? Hate to think worst of people given the circumstances...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267Last Tuesday at 5:18 PM

From the pictures I've seen, he seems to adore his little kids. Good thing are they are too young to know what's going on.

by Anonymousreply 268Last Tuesday at 5:26 PM

I keep hoping for a happy ending, the 3 year old may keep memories of him.

by Anonymousreply 269Last Tuesday at 5:39 PM

The wife works in patent law

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270Last Tuesday at 6:08 PM

They don’t need a GOFUNDME.

by Anonymousreply 271Last Tuesday at 6:15 PM

Those little kids have inherited some smarts. I hope they have more common sense than their educated but reckless father seems to have.

by Anonymousreply 272Last Tuesday at 6:15 PM

Their student loans, oye. His dad does not appear to be wealthy, bad teeth. Living in SF with student loans and 2 kids in daycare and WFH, all sounds quite stressful and expensive.

Hope he turns up alive soon.

by Anonymousreply 273Last Tuesday at 6:40 PM

This has lots of details

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274Last Tuesday at 8:58 PM

Why would a runner leave their phone in their car? Don’t they use it for music? Podcasting? I always have my phone with me for emergencies.

by Anonymousreply 275Last Tuesday at 9:20 PM

COOKIES @ r274.

by Anonymousreply 276Last Tuesday at 9:24 PM

Beware of Gofunds----THIS guy started one...GWM 30....If you look at his FB posts going back months you will see he likes booze and been kicked out of local clubs. He had a place to live until a couple of months ago when he (allegedly) partied away the rent money and posted about it online. My point is be cautious...Even when he didn't have the rent money people posted links and info for him to get the rental assistance program and he was too lazy to apply.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277Last Tuesday at 9:35 PM

Speaking of missing and Gofundmes---still no word on what happened to Brett Butler...?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278Last Tuesday at 9:39 PM

[quote] He fell into a slot canyon and needs to saw off his arm now.

Perhaps he fell into a oversized coin slot and can’t get out

by Anonymousreply 279Last Tuesday at 9:55 PM

And this is what happens in Phoenix when you have heatstroke and have to be rescued.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280Last Tuesday at 10:01 PM

R266 I never remembered seeing (or smelling) anything like that, but then I wasn't really looking, and like I wrote, it had been something like six months. .. I remember my boyfriend saying something like, "Oh that's what those coyotes were partying about back then," as we do see them around and they sometimes whoop it up at night in the vicinity.

by Anonymousreply 281Last Tuesday at 10:08 PM

R280 Bezos' ride was easier.

by Anonymousreply 282Last Tuesday at 10:30 PM

The GoFundMes for people who income-wise HIGHLY LIKELY don't really need the money, bugs the fuck out of me, and they tend to rake in the dough the more affluent they are. I know. What a shock.

Odd paragraph here from the latest GFM update: Have at it, bitches.

Everyone involved in the search continues to hope for a happy outcome very soon. If that comes to pass, Philip’s wife and children will not need most of this money, and they plan to donate it to causes in and around Pleasanton. But given the overwhelming response we have received so far, and given that the money will be well spent no matter what, we have decided to raise the goal to $100,000.

by Anonymousreply 283Last Tuesday at 10:44 PM

I agree with R276. Cookies in every pic.

by Anonymousreply 284Last Wednesday at 12:19 AM

Many elite runners do not run with anything that may weigh them down. Possibly fatal error that day. More common re: men as I recall from club running days, women almost always carry a phone for safety. The device he wore to track his run can only upload when in the vicinity of his phone. I think they did try flying his phone with a drone to see if it would synch with the device before the battery died. No idea how the extreme heat effects things like batteries. The heat was 3 digits in the town, up on the exposed ridge, likely hotter. Most exercise early or late in such heat, I imagine that is why there were few witnesses on the trail then.

Having gone to Harvard and MIT, I imagine many of his friends are doing well financially and want to help his family. His father did not give the impression of being wealthy. In SF, with student loan debt and childcare for 2 I still think they were not rolling in money. They had good jobs but it was not lawyer or doctor money. She works for a law firm but is not an attorney. I would feel better about the GFM if they said it was for the wife and kids to start but initially they were talking @ a S&R charity, search expenses (free to them, I read even local hotels are providing free rooms to family even thought they are all locals, SAR is free, cops are free, etc., snacks & water for volunteers have been donated, etc)

I am not a fan of GFM but hope he is found and it does not turn out to be voluntary or a scam. I read every detective in Alameda is working on this case, and they are not SAR, so everything about his movements that day, finances, etc is being looked into. They said early on he may not be in the park, not sure how common that is for authorities in that local to make that claim.

by Anonymousreply 285Last Wednesday at 5:29 AM

^STARTING a S&R charity, that was super left field

I do wonder if he could have ended in the park to the north that has connecting trails. No searches have taken place there.

by Anonymousreply 286Last Wednesday at 5:31 AM

Bringing over, have seen other similar posts various places. Where he parked is said not to be closest to the trailhead of the route we are told he planned to run. It is all very odd. Guy who used to run there, care to comment?

--------------------------------------------------- Yes, here is the City of Pleasanton map and brochure on the Moller Ranch trails admin.cityofpleasantonca.gov/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=31377

There is no mention of a connection to Pleasanton Ridge, which is an EBRPD (East Bay Regional Park District) managed park.

The only city owned park with trails that connect to Pleasanton Ridge is Augustin Bernal Park. Here is the brochure which includes a map as www.cityofpleasantonca.gov/pdf/AugustinBernalMap.pdf The map clearly shows that there are trails that say "To Pleasanton Ridge Park/East Bay Regional Park" as you can see on the map on page 2.

The Moller Ranch trails in Green in the first link in the first paragraph show no connection to Pleasanton Ridge park on p 2. They dead end. To go to Pleasanton Ridge park from Moller Ranch trails would require trespassing into privately owned land and EBRPD Landbank land that is not open to the public.

The Preserve trails loop around and also show no connection to Pleasanton Ridge park.

by Anonymousreply 287Last Wednesday at 5:51 AM

This article further discusses that he may have entered private property to access the planned route

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288Last Wednesday at 5:52 AM

Someone claims to have seen someone with his description near 1580 much later in the day. If he is out of the park, could be anywhere.

“Did a crude overlay of the (search and rescue) map and the community map,” Tony Orion wrote with his posted map. “If Philip ran the loop clockwise, and got disoriented or otherwise incapacitated around the north end, is it possible he saw i580 below and started heading down there cross country? I know it is mostly private property in that area, but perhaps they would be amenable to a search given the circumstances?”

by Anonymousreply 289Last Wednesday at 5:56 AM

Interview with his dad. The father and wife (I am not clear if it is Philip's mother or step mother) live with them so maybe they are the childcare? Sounds a bit cramped and stressful coming off a year of WFH.

Glad they are branching out into searching surrounding areas, esp if the sighting later in the day near Walmart was him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290Last Wednesday at 7:33 AM

Appears that sighting near the Walmart later in the day, in early evening may be credible.

They are shifting search outside the park (plus accessible areas have been heavily covered). Hope he is found somewhere. Having had heatstroke, I can attest that thinking is impacted, I made decisions that were not wise or the safest, I was lucky to have others help and to have access to ice and air con fairly quickly.

Update as of Tuesday, July 20, 8 pm: We are entering a new phase of the search, and we need your help. Our BIG ASKS for all of you:

• Tips/Info/Leads?: Contact Pleasanton PD: 925-931-5107 and also finding.philip.kreycik@gmail.com • Volunteer: /helpfindphilip • Donate to support Philip’s family: www.gofundme.com/f/support-philip-kreyciks-family

Search update: Recently, we reviewed information that makes the tip about a roadside sighting of a disoriented individual matching Philip’s description on the evening he disappeared seem increasingly credible. No tip is too small, if you have any information, please come forward and share!

by Anonymousreply 291Last Wednesday at 8:06 AM

Maybe he got a serious case of fuck this, or perhaps had a nervous breakdown (or both) and decided to vamoose. Walks (jogs) away from his old life toward a fresh start, and doesn't want to be found?

by Anonymousreply 292Last Wednesday at 8:20 AM

This man will not return, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 293Last Wednesday at 8:26 AM

Possible, R292. Multi-generational living and covid lockdown and tiny kids sounds like a LOT of stress to me. But, possible his father & wife provided childcare. Now makes more sense how they lived in Bay area on their salaries, good jobs but likely student loans too.

by Anonymousreply 294Last Wednesday at 8:32 AM

They appear to live in part of this multi-family home, pretty nice! Not a fan of GFM. Hope shifting the search outside the park allows him to be located. The sighting was of a shirtless disoriented looking runner near the Walmart, if so, he was not disappearing but having a medical emergency. The wife has said that he was supposed to pick them up in Stockton and that he did not return home, wonder which it was. I knew someone who worked for the same utility company, they worked pretty much 40 hour weeks, wonder what the after run work call on a Saturday was about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295Last Wednesday at 8:54 AM

[quote] R280 Bezos' ride was easier.

Is that the next Amazon Prime series - Blast Off with Bezos

by Anonymousreply 296Last Wednesday at 10:45 AM

That clip of the helicopter rescue never gets old.

by Anonymousreply 297Last Wednesday at 11:47 AM

Hopefully local media will encourage people to look outside the park now. If one person saw him along the road by the Walmart others may have well. She claimed to have noticed him because it looked as though he was going to cross in a dangerous spot and she was concerned. She also noted he looked hot and exhausted. He has to be somewhere. That sighting, not sure if it was backed up by video was around 7 pm the day he went missing, 8 hours in 3 digit temps, possibly without water.

Wonder if search dogs were taken to the area she claims to have spotted him. Not sure how scents would linger with the car exhaust and all.

He looks a bit like Adam Lanza to me, not trying to be mean. Hope he is still alive somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 298Last Wednesday at 1:17 PM

Maybe, R292, but if the 7pm sighting near the Walmart was him it would argue more toward a medical emergency/event. 8 hour is very high temps without water is very dangerous. Heat stroke fucks up your thinking processes big time. People have speculated that he lost his keys and went back to look, but if by Walmart would be well out of the one park and near several trails leading to others, 2 hours before dark.

They live in a super nice duplex in Berkeley with his father and wife, seemed to be a nice life. Seem to live in separate units but built in child care.

If he was walking away from it all seems unlikely he would be walking around in that area that evening.

by Anonymousreply 299Last Wednesday at 1:21 PM

Latest update: he told a friend he was making a run for the border so they are no searching the bathrooms of all the local Taco Bells.

by Anonymousreply 300Last Wednesday at 1:51 PM

A shirtless jogger near Walmart and only one witness report? Doesn't seem plausible.

by Anonymousreply 301Last Wednesday at 2:23 PM

"If he were in a heavily wooded area with lots of game, hunters would find his bones."

Not a lot of hunting in that area, or not a lot of legal hunting. Which is kind of a pity as there are feral pigs in those hills, if the Bay Area hunters would make themselves useful and claim some free-range pork, they wouldn't be a problem!

But I've been hiking in that area, been to Pleasanton Ridge many times, but not in summer unless I could go very early in the morning. Doing an 8 hour run there on a hot summer day, without water, is... what can I call it but monumentally stupid? In summer those hills are as dry as dust and as hot as a pizza oven, and while some of the trails there may be partially shaded by oak trees, there's also miles and miles of tick-filled scrub and open dead grass, without a speck of shade, any human habitation within miles to offer help, or any other hikers because most people know better than to be out there on hot days.

by Anonymousreply 302Last Wednesday at 5:21 PM

R302 but where did it say he was without water?

by Anonymousreply 303Last Wednesday at 5:55 PM

Oh, I read several entries on this thread that said he was without water. And if they're wrong and he brought a bottle of water, well, one standard bottle wouldn't be enough for 8 hours in those hills on a hot summer day.

by Anonymousreply 304Last Wednesday at 6:25 PM

Heat exhaustion is the likeliest reason for his disappearance.

You say he lived in the Berkeley Hills? Well FYI, the Berkeley Hills are in a cool microclime, and even though Pleasanton is only about 20 miles away from Berkeley, it can be 20-40 degrees warmer on a summer day. Maybe he didn't realize how searingly hot those hills would be, even if they're just a few minutes away from his cool home.

by Anonymousreply 305Last Wednesday at 6:35 PM

Oh man, the dad and wife live with the runner and his family? I’d bet a million nonexistent bucks that Philip’s wife and the father’s wife don’t get along. Somebody mentioned built-in child care? I wouldn’t bet on THAT. The oldies are probably sick of being tied down with those two kids.

by Anonymousreply 306Last Wednesday at 6:45 PM

The GoFundMe exceeded its $50k goal after one day.

by Anonymousreply 307Last Wednesday at 6:50 PM

This is a very sad story.

by Anonymousreply 308Last Wednesday at 6:53 PM

It’s no sadder than my dad dying from pancreatic cancer.

by Anonymousreply 309Last Wednesday at 7:02 PM

$50k isn’t bad, TBH.

by Anonymousreply 310Last Wednesday at 7:17 PM

R309 - it's so sad your dad died of pancreatic cancer.

Anyone want to outdo this?

by Anonymousreply 311Last Wednesday at 7:19 PM

Sorry for your loss, R309.

Anyone who has watched the interviews with the wife or father have any thoughts?

They live in different parts of a huge house that is now divided into a duplex, so not living in the same space. The wife mentioned thanking a volunteer who did the laundry of the father and his wife which struck me as odd to bring up. The wife talked about her husband as a father. Having a second kid under a year and with cv probably has been a challenging year. The house they live in is linked above, it is NICE.

A shirtless jogger by the side of the road on a hot evening doesn't seem all that notable to me, the person said she took notice because it seemed that he was going to try to cross a multilane road at a risky point. If he is not in the park who knows where he could be or what may have happened to him, esp if he seemed vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 312Last Wednesday at 7:26 PM

Early on the father mumbled, "he was the father I wish I had been."

by Anonymousreply 313Last Wednesday at 7:26 PM

Why does Brett Butler need a GFM? Can she not find work outside of show business like becoming a realtor or something?

by Anonymousreply 314Last Wednesday at 7:35 PM

This seems like such an odd thing to say - why would he continue to run away from his car? Why wouldn't he seek help if he was near stores at 7 pm? So not hurt on the ridge and no disappearing from his life but some other left field scenario?

....his father Keith thinks it’s possible he’s made it out “He’s so strong that we think he could’ve gone a long, long distance. Even if you’re living in an area where you say, ‘he never could’ve made it 20 miles over here,’ in the time period we’re talking about it would’ve been very easy to get 20 miles away from the center of town,” Keith Kreycik said.

by Anonymousreply 315Last Wednesday at 7:53 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316Last Wednesday at 7:57 PM

Why would he run to Berkeley instead of seeking help at the many homes that back to the trail or the Walmart, etc? Why continue away from his car? Hope there is good vid footage, otherwise the sighting does not make much sense and he could be anywhere. If he had been in the park for 8 hours and was not "incapacitated" as the cops said, why was he not seen? I get the family wants to keep hope alive and have people keep searching. Has there been a John Doe case like this that turned out ok? Amnesia, in a psych ward, jail, homeless camp, etc?

by Anonymousreply 317Last Thursday at 3:47 AM

His friend who is running the FB search page and who started the GFM posted this, does not really enhance my opinion of the dude as having good judgment.

In fact his "typical" route is just that, 1k ft/mile with poor footing for large stretches. Also missed is the breadth of terrain Philip has covered in his running, even recently. He definitely doesn't stick exclusively close to home. One of the craziest things about Philip is how he'll take his son on trail runs in a stroller. He manages things like the descent from battery bluffs in the headlands and ramage peak trail in Trampas at good paces *while* pushing his son on that terrain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318Last Thursday at 4:55 AM

Add in the "worn" shoes, surely he could afford to replace them, and the idea of seeking steep trails with poor footing with a child in a stroller becomes even more strange.

Doubt he will be found alive. The interviews with the father and wife have had some odd bits. Her complaining that on hikes she had to carry the 10 month old "who weighs almost as much as the 3 year old" was bitter and off seeming in the context.

by Anonymousreply 319Last Thursday at 5:00 AM

[quote] Having a second kid under a year and with cv probably has been a challenging year.

R312, what does "cv" mean?

by Anonymousreply 320Last Thursday at 5:18 AM

Another request r312 What does "cv" mean? Why do people use obscure abbreviations just assuming we will know them? Is that for attention?

This whole thing is feeling kind of hinky. The family seems a bit nutty and not in an endearing way.

And, I'll say it. Swap black or brown for white, swap Oakland for Berkeley, and this search would have been called off in less than a week.

by Anonymousreply 321Last Thursday at 8:09 AM

CV = corona virus / work from home for most, esp in CA

Challenging with a toddler and newborn.

Crazy risk taking dad to run on steep descents in worn shoes with a child in a stroller. If he was that adrenaline seeking when the safety of another human was on the line, who knows what he did that day in the park alone?

The "friend" who will not divulge the convo from the day before and who started the GFM, runs the FB page and seemed to be leading searching, as well as making posts on Reddit and other media platforms @ PK also seems suss. He also lived with PK's uncle for a year. Odd crew. That the wife would seem a bit bitter and angry in the interviews is sad. The "friend" talks about PK's "adventures" at some point, grow up and mb ride a roller coaster kwim? Descending steep trails with the kid is not some super cool nerd runner feat, it is risking your kid's life and being reckless. Now the kids are left w/o a dad. Sad he's likely dead but he seems like a dick.

by Anonymousreply 322Last Thursday at 8:26 AM

Thanks for explaining "cv", R322. Now, please decipher "grow up and mb ride a roller coaster kwim?".

by Anonymousreply 323Last Thursday at 8:30 AM

R322 MB stp tie ping l ike a phookn Id e ott pweasssse.

by Anonymousreply 324Last Thursday at 8:35 AM

Ooooooo, this sounds like a cover up! How exciting!

by Anonymousreply 325Last Thursday at 8:38 AM

Sold into sex slavery, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 326Last Thursday at 8:39 AM

Grow up and maybe ride a roller coaster for your adrenaline rush/thrill seeking needs rather than run down steep trails in worn shoes pushing a toddler. Clear now? Dude was reckless in many aspects of his life and seemed to have friends that thought it was amazing, his wife seemed less impressed with him. At some point, esp when responsible for another life you don't run down steep descents in worn shoes with poor traction with the kid in a stroller, you do safer hobbies or the risky runs alone. The utility he works for is pretty much a 40 hour week, his wife working for a law firm is likely the one with the more demanding schedule.

Sad but he does not seem like a prudent guy when it comes to risk, which likely led to his premature death. For what, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 327Last Thursday at 8:44 AM

r327 There, now was that so hard?

by Anonymousreply 328Last Thursday at 8:48 AM

Papini vibes.

Who was the last person to see him?

by Anonymousreply 329Last Thursday at 8:53 AM

The worn shoes troll is tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 330Last Thursday at 8:55 AM

His friend's description: " Philip isn't simply "a fast dude", he is a beast of a trail runner who with minimal mileage can keep up with most any elite on any terrain: the more technical the better. In fact his "typical" route is just that, 1k ft/mile with poor footing for large stretches." Given the drop offs from the ridge trail he was on, it sounds more likely that he is in brush in some inaccessible area.

When you are close to 40 with 2 little kids, not a bad time to dial back the running on steep surfaces with poor footing IN WORN DOWN SHOES. The wife knew he was like this, sad for the kids.

Most runners regularly replace shoes to prevent injury. If you were a runner you would get that. This guy ran on steep trails with poor footing by the description of his best friend, in shoes with reduced traction, sometimes with his kid in a stroller, that is risking the kid's safety as well as his own. The thrill could not have been worth not seeing his kids grow up. They live in a huge house in Berkeley, he could afford new trail shoes. And who runs and wears the exact same clothes the next day instead of something clean and dry? So many odd details about this story.

by Anonymousreply 331Last Thursday at 8:58 AM

Good question, R329. And why were the wife and kids in Stockton? How did they get there w/o a car that he needed to pick them up? She said he did not return home, later changed that to he did not pick them up. Which was it?

Was there really a work call? That company is typically a 40 hour kind of job. And if there was a work call, why not take his phone in case he was delayed? I wonder if that detail was true at all.

Whole thing just seems off but if this guy was so thrill seeking, who knows where he could have fallen?

by Anonymousreply 332Last Thursday at 9:02 AM

Snatching a young, pretty blond woman seems more likely than a middle aged dad. Was that story ever debunked re: her or did she just reappear and that was it?

by Anonymousreply 333Last Thursday at 9:04 AM

Maybe the best friend who is helping to set the visual stage a little too well, and the harried wife went in on getting rid of this dude. Keep the nice house, collect what I hope would be a decent life insurance policy, though so many people are under insured and this guy seems to be the type.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong with this plan?

Maybe the "best friend" made arrangements to pick him up at the Walmart, and then took him and tossed him down a ravine somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 334Last Thursday at 9:04 AM

[quote] . And why were the wife and kids in Stockton?

Why is anybody in Stockton ever?

by Anonymousreply 335Last Thursday at 9:05 AM

I posted this earlier thinking it sounded strange. It sounds stranger as they days go on. It's an excerpt from an update they made after they already got their coin. I can hear it now. Shit, that was easy, let's go for more! I'm happy to see that it hasn't exactly exploded since they raised the goal. They are at about 67k now.

"Everyone involved in the search continues to hope for a happy outcome very soon. If that comes to pass, Philip’s wife and children will not need most of this money, and they plan to donate it to causes in and around Pleasanton. But given the overwhelming response we have received so far, and given that the money will be well spent no matter what, we have decided to raise the goal to $100,000."

by Anonymousreply 336Last Thursday at 9:09 AM

Where is the "thrill seeker" narrative coming from? The "best friend?" Is there another source besides that guy? I'm not seeing it in the article posted earlier, or in the description of his GoFundMyDisappearanceAndSubsequentCoverup

Running around in the hills of the Bay Area isn't exactly a "thrill seeking" level of behavior. I may well have missed where other things this guy did was discussed though.

by Anonymousreply 337Last Thursday at 9:23 AM

The friend has super weird vibes and is so in the center of all of it. Dunno, not helping with making him seem like a super risk taker. Less sympathetic if that caught up to him, add in no phone, no water, the high heat, etc. And did the wife expect him in Berkeley or Stockton? And why change the story?

Scroll down for a picture of the friend. Looks a bit wacko. And why is he wearing the kid, not the grandmother or Philip? That is not that common ime. He was the companion the night before but will not divulge convo, he is running every aspect of this and even posting on Reddit, just all seems weird.

Wife should have made a safer choice.

From friend, another weird story, why couldn't they stop to eat or rest?

"I want to share a few stories about how fantastic Philip's family is. Philip has a close, trusting, and joyful relationship with his wife, Jen. Philip is a very gifted endurance athlete, and Jen is less strong but up for a good adventure. Within weeks of when they started dating, Philip and Jen embarked on a ~24 hour tandem bicycle ride from Boston to the Canadian border. They were a perfect team. Whenever Jen got tired, she would stop pedaling and cross her legs over the top tube of the bike. To navigate, she would spread a paper map out across his back and call out directions. She also worked the music playlist for their small, portable bluetooth speaker and fed Philip bananas while he kept his hands on the bars."

In the interviews no bond with Philip comes up from the wife, it is about his job, him as a father, her being a little bitter, no "joyful" anecdotes or vibe from her.

That Tom guy is everywhere in this story. I am not a big true crime person, maybe that is not uncommon. Hope he has discussed the convo the night before with detectives. Seems trolling and attention seeking to have even posted he will not discuss it.

And the father mumbling "he is the father I wish I had been" trying to generate volunteers and paint he missing as sympathetic was the goal of the press time, but he and the wife were revealing other things. The wife did not shed tears either but the press description described her as sobbing. I feel for the kids.

by Anonymousreply 338Last Thursday at 9:23 AM

^ link for R328, friend is even in the middle of Philip's extended family event, wearing PK's baby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339Last Thursday at 9:24 AM

If the wife and kids were away, it may be that super friend Tom was the last one to see him.

His father and "wife" - news article chose that word so maybe a stepmom? live in a separate unit in a huge duplex in Berkeley with them. So if he was out and returning packages, etc early Sat am, my not have seen them, Tom is likely his last contact in person, the night before on their run, beer, hang out session. He also took the photo that is used although not sure how they can know he was dressed the same on Saturday unless someone saw him then? I have never heard of people re-wearing likely damp running clothes, but, maybe he did laundry, I suppose.

The expense spent on searching and the volunteer hours have been staggering, the cops sound like they are side-eyeing and brought up "financials" early on, maybe that it typical there or maybe a tell.

by Anonymousreply 340Last Thursday at 9:39 AM

is typical there in Alameda County

by Anonymousreply 341Last Thursday at 9:40 AM

Some of the recent posters seem to have seen "Double Indemnity" and/or "Body Heat" more than once.

by Anonymousreply 342Last Thursday at 9:46 AM

In a reddit thread with the obv 2 options being discussed, friend Tom says

"runspired · 8h #2 is pretty much as likely as alien abduction. I'm happy to go into all the reasons why at some point (small details of the day, big details of the day, Philip as a person etc.).:

Why not just say, he loves and would never leave his kids, or something. Why make everything center on himself in a strange attention getting way?

Do most "family spokespeople" in these situations act like this? And why be trying to "shape" the narrative on Reddit when his good buddy is still missing and being searched for? They heavily mod the FB page, understandably, why care what others are discussing? People mag even covered this story, it has gotten a LOT of attention and huge amounts of support from SAR, cops, volunteers, etc, but no sign of him.

by Anonymousreply 343Last Thursday at 9:52 AM

So, 3 theories.

He's dead in a ditch, natural causes.

Dead in a ditch, foul play (aka "best friend" and possibly wife)

Made a run for a new life away from freak family and a random guy who keeps calling him his best friend, but he doesn't even know the dude

by Anonymousreply 344Last Thursday at 9:58 AM

R344 I think that covers it

by Anonymousreply 345Last Thursday at 10:27 AM

That seems to cover it, R344. But with the anecdotes from Tom about the risks PK too, seems to be "play stupid games, win stupid prizes." There is a lot of pushing from the friend, etc that he could have "amnesia" or be alive but still disoriented, is that actually likely in real life, not soap operas? After all this time? If it was him by the Walmart at 7, why not seek help?

Why did the wife change her story about where he was supposed to be and why call cops so quickly? Was there a work meeting, not common for utility to have weekend meetings? Lots of questions. Cops claim to have every detective assigned and they are not SAR, they are looking into his morning, financials, etc.

Tom is so front and center, it is just weird and attention seeking, even the photo with himself in the middle in the dorky sunglasses and of course HE was wearing the baby, not the dad or family. Risk catches up with people eventually and they all seem odd and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 346Last Thursday at 10:28 AM

Interesting comments by cops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347Last Thursday at 10:51 AM

This seems to be new info, friend Tom mentioned them running the prior evening but not at that park.

While the runner did not visit the park often, Kelly said the father of two had run there on July 9, the day before he went missing.

by Anonymousreply 348Last Thursday at 10:57 AM

Person who claims to be friend posting about running in Oakland with PK the night before he disappeared, not in same park?

"Also our run the evening before was basically not even a recovery-run level effort, we just wanted to go out and enjoy the evening. We took it extra slow and stopped for 30min at Redwood Peak for a cold beer in the middle. 1600ft over 6+ miles is almost not even hilly for us. For comparison, Philip almost never runs slower than 5:45 GAP and our run that night was like 10:30 GAP. We were seriously just phoning it in and enjoying the evening. The idea that it was fatiguing or dehydrating is ludicrous."

The details do not add up. Seems he is dead or it is a scam, guess time will tell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349Last Thursday at 11:01 AM

r347 Thanks for posting that.

I am now rooting that he took option 3. He said, fuck this life, fuck these kids, screw my asshole in-laws and parents. Let that freaky guy who calls me buddy have my nagging wife. He wanders over to Wal-Mart. Gets a lift by a kindly truck driver who knows the way of strangers and not to ask questions. Drops him off at a truck stop far, far out of town. He has been taken in by a kindly, childless, orphaned lot lizard with a hard past but a heart of gold. And so his new life begins...

by Anonymousreply 350Last Thursday at 11:09 AM

This seems strange too, is this common in such cases?

From the heavily moderated FB, complete with photos:

Some of the volunteers and members of Philips family got together yesterday for some BBQ and much need downtime. Philip certainly comes from an incredible loving and resilient family who continue to be committed to bringing him home. All of the volunteers and members of this Facebook group and beyond have stepped up in so many ways, and his family and friends are incredibly grateful to all. Thank you Cecelia Dougherty Rhodes for hosting, and to the Kreycik family for letting us show you some love💕

by Anonymousreply 351Last Thursday at 11:11 AM

Yep.

My ole buddy Phil, what a thrll seeker he was...um...is. Pass the coleslaw please.

by Anonymousreply 352Last Thursday at 11:14 AM

And people are smiling for the camera in the photos. I don't know much about true crime but these people are hella strange.

2 still seems early to have reported him missing even if he was supposed to be at an in law thing, he started running at 11 and it was a drive with traffic, plus a lot of people would kinda drag their feet. What was he doing before run after dropping the package? Why not start as early as possible given the heat? Cops seem dubious. Hope they checked out that work meeting too, weekend hours are not common at that utility company.

The only bright spots in this tale so far are the cute kids and gorgeous Victorian cottage turned duplex in Berkeley.

by Anonymousreply 353Last Thursday at 11:24 AM

What's with the go fund ne? Like what out if the ordinary or exorbitant expense have they incurred in just two weeks? Its odd they'd ask for money at all then say we dont even need it but then ask for more. Clearly the friend and probably the wife killed him.

by Anonymousreply 354Last Thursday at 11:26 AM

In his two-decade career, Fountain said he has never seen such a “baffling” missing person case.

Will be interesting to see what Alameda County does next. Supposedly every detective is assigned and they are not the searchers, they are combing his life and movements before disappearance.

Pretty sure the statement about him running there the day before is new. Maybe he had dropped the family off in Stockton and ran on the way back, but his friend did not describe them as running there that evening. Running three times in 18 hours really seems excessive. If it was planned you would think they would have it make more sense.

by Anonymousreply 355Last Thursday at 11:28 AM

Any expenses by the family have been covered by the taxpayer or have been donated, reportedly hotels have even comped rooms though the family is local. Food for the volunteers has been donated, equipment, etc. GFM so often turn out to be scams. At one point they said something about starting a search and rescue non-profit, how does that make sense?

by Anonymousreply 356Last Thursday at 11:31 AM

The wife even commented to the media that a volunteer had done the laundry of the father and his wife. So strange. Wouldn't a family friend have done something so personal? Couldn't they have run it while sleeping? Why mention that detail?

There seems to be no connection at all between PK and wife in the photos shared or in her statements. Strange that the friend sold their relationship as "joyful."

Still, even if they are strange, sad if he is dead. And if this turns out to be a scam, people should go to jail and the huge resources spent should be repaid.

by Anonymousreply 357Last Thursday at 11:37 AM

Hang on, is this Reddit user runspired (won't let me post a link) the same person as "best friend"? Because for every plausible question of doubt this person seems to have a ready answer at hand, and seems to know Philip almost too well.

Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 358Last Thursday at 11:44 AM

I thought the same, R358.

He is also the source of the photo from the night before, of the clothes he purportedly ran in again the next day. I used to run with a club and have never known a runner to do that.

If he ran there the day before his car could have been left if he was picked up.

So on Friday, after work, he drove the family to Stockton from Berkeley, ran on the way back and later ran with the friend in Oakland? Then got up, shipped a packaged and ran a third time in about 18 hours? Times do not add up esp with traffic.

by Anonymousreply 359Last Thursday at 11:49 AM

Did anyone see him the next day?

I suppose he worked, drove, ran twice then did laundry so the clothes would be clean for the next day? Not super plausible. Most runners have more than 1 pair of shorts. Who actually saw what he was wearing on Sat? Why did good buddy take the photo on Friday? If I was going to make up a story like this I would try for more logic and realistic timelines.

by Anonymousreply 360Last Thursday at 11:52 AM

Wonder if his good buddy will continue to post now that the cops have put out that new detail that does not fit his story of beer drinking and jogging in Oakland.

by Anonymousreply 361Last Thursday at 11:53 AM

This is getting good!

by Anonymousreply 362Last Thursday at 11:58 AM

The times sure don't add up r359. Also, when there are "cute" details like "shipping a package" What, they don't have package pickup? One of the other people living there couldn't have handled that? It always sticks out to me in a bad way. Like NOTHING TO SEE HERE, INNOCENT PACKAGE EQUALS INNOCENCE! Or if the package was indeed dropped off, or was going to be (I am fuzzy on said package's status), that would be some kind of "timestamp" for his whereabouts?

This shit is getting more tangled and I am here for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363Last Thursday at 11:59 AM

The photo of the evening before looks like well before sunset. Not sure how that would allow for work and a roundtrip to Stockton? Maybe the wife drove herself and the kids earlier on Saturday and he was just supposed to meet them? But why did she say he did not come home to Berkeley and then change the location? If he worked then ran and drank beer in Oakland, how did he have time to run in the other park too? If the wife was home on Saturday and saw what he was wearing, why the kinda red herring photo from "friend" the night before?

Cops have been calling bullshit for a while now, and assigning every detective to comb through his life (they are not same as SAR) seemed striking.

Wife has seemed more bitter and resentful than distraught. And she said she needs him back to carry the 3 yr old on trails (friend talked about him using stroller on trails), after all this, if he is alive, maybe hiking would not be the family pastime, kwim?

There is a vibe that the friend at least thinks he is smarter than other people. Can you imagine the cops looking at the bbq party photos? Social media posts may be their downfall.

Yes, the package seems like a timestamp.

Why did the wife call him in missing SO quickly?

by Anonymousreply 364Last Thursday at 12:03 PM

I am assuming they have him in the park the day before based on phone GPS data. The friend claimed they discussed his plan to run there the next day, he never said he had run there the same day. In his trail running rants on Reddit he never says he ran twice in one day and again on Sat am.

The language the cops are using is pretty interesting.

It was so lucky that none of the SAR searchers or volunteers was injured. If this unravels, they should be charged.

by Anonymousreply 365Last Thursday at 12:05 PM

I don't have FB (yes, I am one of those) can someone please drag a few of the more notable photos over here or is that a no-no?

by Anonymousreply 366Last Thursday at 12:06 PM

Websleuth posted a comment from Reddit: “ "Also our run the evening before was basically not even a recovery-run level effort, we just wanted to go out and enjoy the evening. We took it extra slow and stopped for 30min at Redwood Peak for a cold beer in the middle. 1600ft over 6+ miles is almost not even hilly for us. For comparison, Philip almost never runs slower than 5:45 GAP and our run that night was like 10:30 GAP. We were seriously just phoning it in and enjoying the evening. The idea that it was fatiguing or dehydrating is ludicrous."

Where did they get a cold beer? Is there a bar or cafe there in the middle of Redwood Peak? Although a cold beer is refreshing, it’s not particularly hydrating or conducive to even jogging. Did they bring it with them? Wouldn’t it have gotten shaken and warm explode-y during the run? My husband and his family are all runners - and drinkers - and none of them have ever had a beer mid-run!

What is he talking about?

by Anonymousreply 367Last Thursday at 12:06 PM

Holy hiv face.

by Anonymousreply 368Last Thursday at 12:07 PM

You know, R367, the guy who does not carry a phone or water carried 2 beer bottles. And yes, they would have been FOAM.

I am a former runner and that was hella strange to me too, as was the weird photo. After, sure. Or on an organized drinking run event. But in the middle of a regular run? No.

Have you heard of people re-wearing the same clothes in summer 2 days in a row? Or runners not regularly replacing shoes to avoid injury esp if they run on steep trails?

Maybe the Reddit poster is just larping as his friend. Dunno.

by Anonymousreply 369Last Thursday at 12:10 PM

R364, I, too, think it’s weird that he was reported missing so quickly. People get stuck in traffic. Their ringers get stuck on silent mode. They drop their phones accidentally.

Maybe she was a demanding and controlling Karen who took everything from 0-60 in seconds. But were that the case, she wouldn’t have allowed him to continue his time-consuming hobby away from the family orbit.

I’ve only seen photos of her, so it’s hard to see her demeanor. Maybe I have to look harder.

The friend is being very… involved.

by Anonymousreply 370Last Thursday at 12:11 PM

What's more likely: he's dead and they haven't found his body or he decided to run away?

by Anonymousreply 371Last Thursday at 12:12 PM

R371 Sadly, though I am rooting for the Love With a Lot Lizard scenario, I think he's dead, but they know EXACTLY where his body is.

by Anonymousreply 372Last Thursday at 12:18 PM

I think dead too.

Wonder if he had life insurance?

This is the photo the friend just happened to take the night before, can anyone make out what is in his hand?

There are a few interviews with the wife, Jenn Yao and his father. They may just be odd. But, I did not see an actual tear despite the description saying she was "sobbing." Why did her story change?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373Last Thursday at 12:22 PM

A comment from the GoFundMe: “ Dear Marcia and Keith, Clara and I have so many fond memories of playing with you and Kai at Habitot, Kindergym and Mr Michael's storytime. I am so sorry that this has happened. Thinking of you all and praying for a miracle.”

Keith is Philip’s father. Marcia must be Keith’s wife. Jen is Philip’s wife/Kai’s mother.

I interpret this comment to mean that Marcia and Keith were the ones taking the kid to all those activities. So I guess the “built-in childcare” comment was on the money. Jen has a job, so the grandfather and his wife were taking care of the kids?

by Anonymousreply 374Last Thursday at 12:25 PM

r373 That could be anything in a can really. I can't imagine running/jogging and drinking something carbonated in the middle of the run. Even right at the end of one. Ew.

by Anonymousreply 375Last Thursday at 12:27 PM

[quote] Jen has a job, so the grandfather and his wife were taking care of the kids?

That is not an unusual arrangement with parents of young kids and grandparents these days.

by Anonymousreply 376Last Thursday at 12:36 PM

The Saucony shoes he is said to have been wearing are not trail shoes, so worn status or no, curious choice for running on steep and uncertain terrain, never mind with a stroller as his purported "friend" went on and on about. Trail shoes offer much better traction, when I ran roads and trails I had separate shoes.

by Anonymousreply 377Last Thursday at 12:42 PM

Same, R375, never mind carrying it if you would not carry water in triple digit weather. Why not just stop at a store, bar, home after? How would it even be drinkable? Hope that poster is just a larper.

by Anonymousreply 378Last Thursday at 12:43 PM

Student loans + that BIG duplex in Berkeley, the only way to swing that w/o being lawyers is free childcare.

by Anonymousreply 379Last Thursday at 12:44 PM

R376, perhaps in the Bay Area it’s common. It’s not common in NYC upper middle class. I knew one woman whose MIL was their childcare and she hated it because she couldn’t dictate how the child was cared for the way you can with an employee. The woman was an immigrant and refused to learn English, so they still had to take the baby to doctor appointments.

Come to think of it, the only situations I know of are when the grandparents are immigrants or one parent is out of the picture.

In lower socioeconomic strata it’s more common.

by Anonymousreply 380Last Thursday at 12:49 PM

I'll bet they were in debt up to their eyeballs. Not hard to do in the Bay Area. I don't think this couple was loaded, and as time goes on I have a feeling we are going to find out just how "not loaded" they were.

Where was his very chatty and eager to fork out hand crafted details "best friend" the day of his disappearance? Has that been covered yet?

by Anonymousreply 381Last Thursday at 12:51 PM

Smell R380 over there

by Anonymousreply 382Last Thursday at 12:53 PM

Funny he has not seemed to mention that, R381.

Those kiddie enrichment classes are quite pricey.

That house in Berkeley is BIG, even as a duplex. See link to photos upthread.

How much could he be making as an analyst at a utility company? The dad has messed up teeth, not sure he fronted undergrad at Harvard. They both might have gotten some funding for MIT.

by Anonymousreply 383Last Thursday at 12:55 PM

R380, yes, I cannot possibly fathom the WASPy types of the east coast enjoying that arrangement very much. But to be fair, they're not exactly the warm and fuzzy type and probably resented having their own kids in the first place. It seems rather emotionally dysfunctional, I think.

by Anonymousreply 384Last Thursday at 12:56 PM

The cops have been talking about financials for almost the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 385Last Thursday at 12:56 PM

Just to watch the world burn? What does that mean in this context esp since they have expanded the search?

From Redidt:

Public-Application-6 2 points · 2 days ago if the heat got to him, a. he wouldn't have gone very far, theres a quite a bit of shade under many of the trees, b. He wouldve thrown up for all the place repeatedly. they have found nothing of his at the park. and the fact that the family boils in anger when someone dares suggest he may not be at the park, is concerning. If the father of my children went running in a smallish park and he hadn't been found, I'd be asking the entire state of California, if they'd seen him. No efforts have been made door knock or ask surrounding cities if they've seen him.

runspired 1 point · 8 hours ago out-of-the-park searching is certainly happening, but your description of heat illness only covers a small subset of the behaviors I've seen occur.

Confusion, dizziness, and memory issues typically happen long before vomiting. Those inviting looking trees all sit on steep slippery slopes leading into hard to traverse ravines, but more importantly it's very common for folks with heat illnesses to due unpredictable things. I've seen runners run back-and-forth on the same small section of trail repeatedly due to it, runners who backtracked to aide stations miles previous when the next one was around the corner due to it.

And finally, we did find matching footprints the evening he went missing on his route and in his intended direction.

I'd be dismissive too if someone who didn't know my son/partner/father wanted to jump to unlikely hypotheses just to watch the world burn, but the one thing I haven't seen at all out of the family this week is anger. Truly some of the most appreciative and kind folks there are.

by Anonymousreply 386Last Thursday at 12:57 PM

I hope this is a larper, who could write about a friend of decades like this?

runspired 1 point · 11 hours ago I definitely doubt mountain lion attack was the primary issue, but heat related dizziness and confusion leading to a fall in a ravine, still there in the evening hunting hours...

I'm still hoping I turn a corner out there and find him up against a tree, but I'd also be very unsurprised to find much less of him after all I've seen out there so far.

by Anonymousreply 387Last Thursday at 1:05 PM

Details around deaths are usually bonkers. People are so damn dumb.

And I believe that about 95% of fires are arson. Why don't they treat them as arson first?

by Anonymousreply 388Last Thursday at 1:12 PM

The guy running the FB page is Tom W, who seems to live in Louisiana. He also started the GFM and lived with a Kreycik uncle for a year. The guy he went running with seems to have been a Cali local named Chris T who is well known in the running community. Tom may be doing the social media stuff and Chris is on the ground. I assume it is Chris posting on Reddit. Chris claims he ran with Philip the night before he vanished.

by Anonymousreply 389Last Thursday at 1:13 PM

Reports he has been found dead.

by Anonymousreply 390Last Thursday at 1:15 PM

Link r390?

by Anonymousreply 391Last Thursday at 1:16 PM

Stupid Websleuth cunts like the one stinking up this thread are confusing him with Fred Zalokar.

by Anonymousreply 392Last Thursday at 1:19 PM

This was also just posted, I do not see any articles he was found. This one touches on the bbq.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393Last Thursday at 1:22 PM

This was a comment on the article, who knew?

Triggerhappy Ranch Dirt-Torpedo • 20 minutes ago Wrong. I've lost livestock 4x here to cats and they took their prey off to a kill tree without a trace.

A mountain lion can carry a full grown dear up in a tree per another commenter. Glad I live in a city.

by Anonymousreply 394Last Thursday at 1:26 PM

I saw that too r394. Made me laugh, like that’s your first thought?

by Anonymousreply 395Last Thursday at 1:29 PM

Do we think he will suddenly re-appear?

by Anonymousreply 396Last Thursday at 1:35 PM

Besides Papini, has that ever happened?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397Last Thursday at 1:37 PM

I think we're going to find out that 'running' is a euphemism for 'hooking-up'. The perfect ruse: an hour or two away from cameras or prying eyes. Come back sweaty and stinky- go straight for the shower.

by Anonymousreply 398Last Thursday at 1:43 PM

Double life seem possible

by Anonymousreply 399Last Thursday at 1:52 PM

2 hookups and 1 run in 18 hours seems a lot more feasible than 3 runs in high temps in that time frame. Most runners pushing 40 are careful to minimize chances of injury by over training.

by Anonymousreply 400Last Thursday at 2:20 PM

The dogs lost his scent not far into the trail. WTF? Yeah, this was a hook up gone bad. If he got in the other guy's car he could be anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 401Last Thursday at 2:21 PM

I presume the wife went to Stockton to visit relatives, there's absolutely no other reason to go to Stockton. It's a shithole.

As for the marriage, I've seen a couple of straight couples where the man is obsessed with fitness and/or extreme sports, and it's always a huge strain on the marriage. Once they've had kids, the wife starts to resent that the husband's time, energy, and focus is spent on something other than his family, she's horrified that he continues to take physical risks when he's got dependent children, and he usually makes her feel physically inadequate because she's not as strong and fit as he is and can't keep up so she's left at home with the sprats. Children always ruin things for people who put the adrenaline first, why they want to breed I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 402Last Thursday at 2:41 PM

Seems to fit, R402. She must have thought he would change as they got older.

If it is true that he ran on steep trails with poor footing with a stroller, gonna bet she did not know that. But, Reddit poster Chris could be a larper. He sounded admiring of the risks he took with a stroller in tow. Hope he wore trail shoes on those outings.

2 runs in 18 hours sounded unlikely, 3, no way. There were 2 park "excursions" and 1 run with friends. The cops have his phone and have held back a lot of info. Chris has some splaining to do if he knew, maybe this is the stuff he said he would not disclose?

by Anonymousreply 403Last Thursday at 2:49 PM

Die frau cunts !

by Anonymousreply 404Last Thursday at 2:51 PM

If the wife and kiddies were away, depending on when he ran with the friends, the sun was up in the photo, it is possible he went to PR on Friday evening and his car was there since. Someone else could have dropped off the package, wonder if they have camera footage? He could have been picked up on Friday quite possibly.

by Anonymousreply 405Last Thursday at 2:51 PM

If he was picked up would explain why there is no trace of him in the park. The cops have been sending a lot of signals since very early on, probably when they got the phone data.

Guess it fits with the friend not sharing their discussion. But supposedly there were others on the Fri eve run, did they all know?

by Anonymousreply 406Last Thursday at 2:54 PM

Cops said the shipped package was a return, maybe they are fudging that info or withholding it too.

No way did he run 3x in less than 2 days in the heat. Looking ore like a double life. And maybe not even a hook up gone wrong, maybe he noped out of his life for a different one. He may be alive and elsewhere which is a theme the cops have harped on since very early on.

by Anonymousreply 407Last Thursday at 2:56 PM

This is likely not true, but if it is, was called here early on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408Last Thursday at 3:13 PM

If a man actually goes trail running three times in 18 hours, then he was a man who didn't want to go home.

As for not finding a body, IMHO it's possible in that area. Some of you will find it hard to believe that there could be that much undeveloped land so close to a major urban area, but those hills are high and dry, with miles and miles where there are no roads or trials except the rough fire tracks, or maybe a dirt track on dessicated private rangeland where hikers have no right to go. And as for hiding a body, a lot of the hills around there are mixed scrub oak forest and plain old scrub, and there is NO better place to hide a body than in this kind of low or medium scrublands! Even if the manzanita or creosote bush are only a couple of feet high, a human could still lie down in this kind of cover and be invisible to someone a few feet away. A corpse-sniffing dog would have a good shot at finding a corpse in that kind of country, but the only way a human team would find a dead man in Coast Range scrub is if the got lucky, or had the sense to look under circling vultures. But the vultures will have finished by now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409Last Thursday at 3:16 PM

He went back to the UFO Mother Ship, they called him home.

by Anonymousreply 410Last Thursday at 3:19 PM

[quote] ... after all this, if he is alive, maybe hiking would not be the family pastime, kwim?

R364, what does "kwim" mean?

by Anonymousreply 411Last Thursday at 3:52 PM

This sounds like a suicide to me.

by Anonymousreply 412Last Thursday at 4:42 PM

Kwim = know what I mean?

by Anonymousreply 413Last Thursday at 4:50 PM

Lmao @ the hookup theories! I love how this is bringing the community together!

by Anonymousreply 414Last Thursday at 4:52 PM

Have they checked the Days Inn?

by Anonymousreply 415Last Thursday at 5:01 PM

Thanks, R413. In return, I'll tell you in advance what this means, so you won't have to ask: SAAIATFROLA! = Stupid Acronyms And Initialisms Are The First Resort Of Lazy Assholes!

by Anonymousreply 416Last Thursday at 5:04 PM

I am on a Twitter thread about this and I straight up called Chris a murderer. He did it. We only have his word for the run the day before. He is in every fucking picture instead of the missing man! He is lead search volunteer, wife emotionless unless it is anger for her missing husband, Phil in the same clothes as the day before, Chris is deleting any questions he doesn't like and kicking people from the FB page. He seems like he is on a manic high, really enjoying this attention and being in control. Told people not to speculate about what happened!!! Eyewitness saw two cars the night before. He killed him. Just think about it: what better way to get away with murder? The wildlife will destroy evidence of the crime, no cause of death possible. Watch Chris find some torn clothing so they can cash in the insurance policy. The GFM is insulting to all who donated. This little pissant sociopath killed him and the wife is in on it.

by Anonymousreply 417Last Thursday at 5:45 PM

Just to add the ridiculous story about a beer run in the middle of a run. I think not. That creepy picture of him and supposedly Phil but only Phil's shoe is pictured. That photo is really disturbing. Something is very wrong there.

by Anonymousreply 418Last Thursday at 5:50 PM

I’ve seen some things a woman ain’t supposed to see…

by Anonymousreply 419Last Thursday at 5:57 PM

R411 know what I mean.

Suicide or double life. If former, was scoping out place on Friday. Really curious what was in the mailed package.

by Anonymousreply 420Last Thursday at 6:02 PM

Link, R417?

Chris does figure awfully prominently in ALL of this. When he started shaping the narrative on Reddit he jumped the shark.

by Anonymousreply 421Last Thursday at 6:03 PM

R418, Phil is in the center of that photo, I think? So we can see the clothes he ran in twice on Friday and again on Saturday.

Dude had to own more than 1 pair of shorts.

by Anonymousreply 422Last Thursday at 6:09 PM

This statement by the cops is also a bit unusual. Seems they are signaling voluntary disappearance.

"Detectives have continued to parse the runner’s whereabouts in the days and minutes before he went missing. They have interviewed family members, friends and colleagues, but have found “no indicators that there is any criminal activity afoot,” according to Fountain from the Pleasanton Police Department."

by Anonymousreply 423Last Thursday at 6:14 PM

If a body is not found will life insurance pay out?

by Anonymousreply 424Last Thursday at 6:15 PM

Chris is doing a Reddit AMA

Update as of Thursday, July 22, 5:30 pm: Tomorrow, our lead searcher Chris Thoburn, who has been spearheading the volunteer search for Philip for 12 days, is going to do a live Ask Me Anything (“AMA”) session on the page from 12:00 to 1:30 PM. Find the AMA post when you log onto the Find Philip Kreycik Facebook Group at noon, type your questions in the comments section, and Chris will answer them in real time.

There were no major breakthroughs today. Volunteers continued to knock on doors in neighborhoods near the trailhead to solicit security camera footage that might show Philip heading into the park. Members of our volunteer search also spoke to business owners and reviewed video footage from the area around the potential evening sighting of Philip, but they have found no additional evidence to corroborate that lead. Thanks so much to today’s volunteers, some of whom are featured in these pictures. We want to leave no stone unturned; the remaining push is to make sure we have collected all of the security camera footage we can.

All seems odd for a civilian friend, no?

by Anonymousreply 425Last Thursday at 6:19 PM

Chris does not appear to have a current job per his linked in. Maybe it was his idea to "start a search and rescue nonprofit."

An AMA on Reddit is usually for authors or actors or something. He likes adrenaline and attention for sure.

by Anonymousreply 426Last Thursday at 6:23 PM

The FB group is claiming the run at PR park on July 9th is inaccurate

"Sadly, there are some incorrect facts there. Wondering if it was the reporter who got it wrong... or her "sources." For example, Philip did NOT run in Pleasanton the day before; he ran in Oakland."

I would like to hear Alameda Sheriff clarify and give a basis for that info.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427Last Thursday at 6:30 PM

He will agree to answer questions, but only the ones he chooses. Any questions he doesn't like he boots the person asking out of the group. He also forbid any speculation as to what may have happened!!! I asked a runner about the two runs so close together in record heat, also the beer, and he absolutely not on both. If you notice, any information or statement comes from Chris. If Phil has other friends they have been shut out of the search. He has changed his story now? I have to finish cooking dinner, damnit, lol.

by Anonymousreply 428Last Thursday at 6:37 PM

Bet the Alameda Sheriff's will be watching that AMA closely.

He really does want to be very controlling of the search, wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 429Last Thursday at 6:45 PM

R429- Good question. Why is the wife allowing him to control every aspect of this search? Isn't that strange?

by Anonymousreply 430Last Thursday at 6:55 PM

The cops are watching it all, it is a common trope for murderers to show up to the funeral, as a volunteer searcher, etc.

The GFM when I saw that HUGE house in Berkeley of all places, yikes. And so much money and volunteer time has gone into this and it may be a scam.

Chris is older than Phil. What happens to these adrenaline junkies when their knees go?

by Anonymousreply 431Last Thursday at 7:01 PM

How do others read the interviews? Why crowdfund when Alamada County and SAR have used unprecedented expert resources. Is unemployed Chris trying to fund a new line of work?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432Last Thursday at 7:07 PM

The FB appears to be run by a guy Tom, who is not in CA, but, I think, in Louisiana. Chris is also involved with a heavy hand.

by Anonymousreply 433Last Thursday at 7:11 PM

I stand corrected, Chris does not seem to have a FB account, at least it is not linked to the Search FB page. I do not see him listed as a mod.

Ok that is another strange thing. Even if he did not have FB I would think given his involvement he might set one up to be an account on the search page.

The FB is Tom as is the GFM. There are quite a few additional mods but Chris is not listed there. Chris seems to be posting on Reddit thus far. The photo wearing Phil's son is Tom not Chris. Tom lives in MA and is a longtime friend, Chris is a runner in Berkeley who knows Phil and saw him the night before he vanished. He has declined to share details of their convo that night. Hope he was forthcoming with cops.

GFM is close to $70k. If people saw their beautiful and huge house in Berkeley they might think twice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434Last Thursday at 7:21 PM

"Have they checked the Days Inn? —Chris Burrous"

Or the Sunshine Motor-In?

by Anonymousreply 435Last Thursday at 7:30 PM

If Chris knows anything he may give it away in the AMA. Wonder if it will just be him or if Tom from FB will also be involved? Or someone from Alameda County Sheriff?

by Anonymousreply 436Last Thursday at 7:40 PM

This is trippy. I did not see someone named Chris Thoburn on the FB page but he IS an admin per this twitter thread.

So Chris is not the guy wearing the kid, that is John, but Chris is heavily involved on FB as well as Reddit. Wonder what he might let slip during the AMA? 90 min is a long time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437Last Thursday at 7:47 PM

A reporter covering the search DM'd me on Twitter. She read my posts and thought I had insider info, lol. Anyway, we started talking and she told me they all-the investigators as well- think he is lying and knows what happened to Phil.

by Anonymousreply 438Last Thursday at 7:50 PM

Lol, R438.

He could have just said nothing they spoke about was out of the ordinary. But instead he said he would not discuss but maybe would at a future time. So manipulative and attention seeking.

Both Chris and Tom seem like huge narcissists.

Curious if the wife and kids were home Friday night?

by Anonymousreply 439Last Thursday at 7:54 PM

The SF Chronicle story seems to have been updated and no longer says he was at PR park on Friday. That was a huge error.

So back to his first time at PR park was Saturday and only one run on Friday.

Wonder if Chris planned to meet him on Saturday. Wonder what his alibi is. Someone should ask him on Reddit tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 440Last Thursday at 8:16 PM

I think he’s an aspie who hasn’t grown up yet and the wife does all the work.

by Anonymousreply 441Last Thursday at 9:38 PM

[quote] And, I'll say it. Swap black or brown for white, swap Oakland for Berkeley, and this search would have been called off in less than a week.

Aren't the adrenaline junkies, "elite" runners, triathletes and risk takers almost always white men though?

by Anonymousreply 442Yesterday at 12:00 AM

What? black/brown have no friends?

by Anonymousreply 443Yesterday at 12:09 AM

I saw an interview with his wife and she was trying hard to keep from losing emotional control. At one point she began crying and fought hard to regain her composure.

by Anonymousreply 444Yesterday at 1:08 AM

70,000 DOLLARS for this fucking family on crowd funding?....What the Literal Fuck!!! You DO know the WIFE has a job---right?....Maybe she shouldn't have so many brats if she is begging strangers to foot the bill...

by Anonymousreply 445Yesterday at 1:21 AM

R441, she has a job. Philip’s father and his wife seem to be shouldering a lot of the childcare. So these three people seem to be doing the work while he’s running and messing with his Strava and his weird running buddies. I bet she’s had it up to here with his times and routes. Not that I think she has anything to do with his disappearance, but every photo of him and his kids is on a trail. Did he ever take his kids to a water park or anything kid appropriate? No. He was obsessed with TRAILS.

by Anonymousreply 446Yesterday at 1:30 AM

So there are TWO obsessive guys controlling the narrative here? I’m in the FB group but just read. It seems to be hyper local and the vibe is odd. My request to join was instantly approved.

This is a weird one. I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

by Anonymousreply 447Yesterday at 1:34 AM

[quote]wife emotionless unless it is anger for her missing husband

Not yesterday, she was obviously a mess.

I suspect that at first she thought he'd just run off and was angry about it, maybe a little in denial. As time has passed she's gotten more upset and less angry and that seems perfectly normal to me.

by Anonymousreply 448Yesterday at 2:31 AM

[quote] wife emotionless unless it is anger for her missing husband

Are there any dingos in their town that could have got her husband?

by Anonymousreply 449Yesterday at 2:44 AM

Guys. Phillip’s father and his wife are cyclists. She has a blog about it. Headliners for me are where she talks about jettisoning gear for their trips when it gets to be cumbersome. I guess we know where the idea of speed before safety comes from…

Also, they’re religious? “ Keith is taking over leadership of Earth Ministry at Northwest and is busily figuring out his role. Marcia will continue as leader of Social Justice Ministry”. Tons of mentions of “Freedom Worship Church”.

by Anonymousreply 450Yesterday at 3:09 AM

This is Marcia Kreycik, Keith’s wife. According to their blog, they’ve been married for 33 years (as of 2015).

Am I crazy to think that this is Philip’s MOTHER? They sure resemble each other. Why is she referred to as Keith’s wife and not Philip’s mother? And why hasn’t she said a word? Her son is missing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451Yesterday at 3:45 AM

Those reddit comments from the friend are definitely weird.

by Anonymousreply 452Yesterday at 3:54 AM

His father said Philip was the father he wishes he had been, so maybe he left when he was a baby?

by Anonymousreply 453Yesterday at 4:08 AM

Wonder how Chris will do with the AMA, 90 minutes is a LONG time.

Tom and Chris are both really odd.

I think Philip is dead.

by Anonymousreply 454Yesterday at 4:09 AM

R450, Unitarians are not necessarily "religious" many are secular humanists.

by Anonymousreply 455Yesterday at 4:14 AM

Many gays are Unitarians.

by Anonymousreply 456Yesterday at 4:21 AM

R455, yeah, I didn’t realize until I went deeper that they were Unitarian. They’re very chill and liberal. If Philip had been gay, they wouldn’t have been too mad, eh?

R453, I think the family was intact, but maybe the father wasn’t as involved when he was raising Philip? Maybe he had a drinking problem or something?

by Anonymousreply 457Yesterday at 4:23 AM

The father talked about Philip frequently throwing his little kids up in the air. Wonder how much closeness and downtime there was with the wife, she often is slightly behind in the photos. She has a more demanding job.

Father and son both concerned re: the environment.

by Anonymousreply 458Yesterday at 4:37 AM

So if they have now been married 39 years and he is 37, seems likely she is his mother. Not sure why she has been referred to as father's "wife" in articles. They lived in a separate part of the large duplex in Berkeley.

by Anonymousreply 459Yesterday at 4:49 AM

R459, exactly. I thought this was a second wife/stepmother situation. She seems to be taking a back seat/silent position in all of this. She is an admin on the FB page, but never posts, never is even *mentioned*. I think it’s odd that the mother of a missing man (who shares an address with him!) is completely absent. The father doesn’t even mention her. I find it odd.

As for the AMA on Reddit: I’m assuming it’s noon, PST? Yes, locals probably make up a large part of the audience, but this story has East Coast interest, too. So it’ll be 3:00 EST, right?

by Anonymousreply 460Yesterday at 5:08 AM

Volunteers have mentioned interacting with the mom so I thing she is out at the park, hanging flyers, etc.

In the interview with the dad and Jen, they never even looked at one another. Wonder if she blames his whole family for encouraging risk taking behavior? Or if there was tension. Often having family care for kids is fraught, the mom feels she cannot direct or criticize the way you would with an employee. But, no way they would have that house, never mind in Berkeley w/o family support with childcare, it costs a fortune. And, they live in separate areas of the duplex.

Dead or disappeared on purpose still seem the 2 options. Wonder how much cops know from his phone, computer, etc?

by Anonymousreply 461Yesterday at 5:16 AM

And financials, cops have mentioned focusing on them several times.

I suppose the scenarios are dead by own hand, dead by misadventure, dead at someone else's hand, alive with amnesia or alive and chose to leave.

by Anonymousreply 462Yesterday at 5:31 AM

R460, America is on Daylight Saving Time at the moment, so the times are PDT and EDT.

by Anonymousreply 463Yesterday at 6:01 AM

Have the police contacted Chief McGinnis of River Heights? He can put them in touch with the most famous amateur girl sleuth in the world, the titian-haired beauty, Nancy Drew. She could uncover [italic] The Shocking Secret of the Missing Jogger [/italic] in a matter of days.

by Anonymousreply 464Yesterday at 6:14 AM

It looks like it is not a Reddit AMA but an AMA on the Facebook page.

by Anonymousreply 465Yesterday at 6:51 AM

R465 and r463, thank you for the corrections and clarification. I’ll try to peek in.

by Anonymousreply 466Yesterday at 6:55 AM

It should be a doozy. This guy is really full of his own importance.

by Anonymousreply 467Yesterday at 6:56 AM

Reddit would have had much greater reach. Chris & Tom have already blocked a lot of folks asking questions from the FB page, so that limits the asks too.

Those amnesia cases where someone shows up in another state after weeks, I always thought were hoaxes, maybe not? With the high heat and exertion could see that could fuck up your brain. Dude is pretty non-descript looking, might be anywhere.

Did he stay with Chris in Oakland, is that why he was wearing the same clothes? Is that how Chris knew what he was wearing? Was Chris the last one to see him alive? Doubt those are the types of questions he will answer. Or, what did they talk about that he has declined to disclose, teasing, maybe later?

If crashed with Chris assume unplanned due to sweaty clothes issue. He was gonna turn up at inlaws for family event in running clothes he had worn twice? Seems odd. It all does.

by Anonymousreply 468Yesterday at 7:01 AM

What is the benefit in trying to drive traffic to their FB page? Seems a self selected group w/many having been blocked for asking off script questions.

Platforms with more reach, like the People magazine story, will inform new folks and could be game changing if this is one of those show up across the country weeks later deals.

Really curious what Alameda County Sheriff may do/say next. They are using some curious language.

Crazy that we may never know what happened to this guy.

by Anonymousreply 469Yesterday at 7:13 AM

"Wonder how much cops know from his phone, computer, etc?"

I bet they're hunting-down Grindr ho's as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 470Yesterday at 7:20 AM

Could have a double life, his parents take care of the kids and his wife likely works more hours in a law firm than he does at a utility company. "Running" could account for a lot of time doing other things...cops keep using the word "financials" but who knows, R470. Dudes who like risk might like it in multiple areas of their life, no?

by Anonymousreply 471Yesterday at 7:23 AM

R468, I was thinking the same things. He was going to jump in his car, all sweaty in the previous day’s togs and rush to his in-law’s? That’s gross. No time to shower? No change of clothing in the car? Were there car seats for the kids?

And re the hoaxes where people turn up all scratched and sunburned… those usually wind up being cases of drug binges or mental health breaks. Or as a coverup when they’ve done something bad. There was a woman found on a cliff, who’d gone missing, with a daring rescue. Turns out she had been caught embezzling from her employer. Maybe Philip was doing something bad and needed to disappear.

At any rate, I think he’s dead.

by Anonymousreply 472a day ago

I’m a little surprised that the DailyFail hasn’t picked this up.

by Anonymousreply 473a day ago

By the standards of a dad with young kids he had relatively low pressure - big house with parents helping with free childcare and financing of the duplex, wife had good job, stable career with regular low hours, time for friends and hobbies, etc. The wife seemed to be under a lot more stress and to have a more demanding job.

Guess he still could have noped out on it all, esp with his penchant for big adventures or jaw dropping adventures or however buddy Tom put it. And his middle aged parents rode bicycles across the US. Lots of people would have been grateful for his life but maybe he sought other thrills. Maybe disappearing would seem exciting to a person like him?

Chris and his "I won't disclose what we discussed" is a tool. There were several other guys there so most of the time it could not have been that personal.

If he did NOT crash in Oakland on Friday night, why the repeat sweaty clothes? Who was the last to see him?

by Anonymousreply 474a day ago

[quote]There was a woman found on a cliff, who’d gone missing, with a daring rescue. Turns out she had been caught embezzling from her employer.

Embezzling from my employer didn't work out well at all for me.

by Anonymousreply 475a day ago

R474, that’s the big question no one has answered: who was the last person to see him? (Besides the staff at the “parcel store”)

And where did he spend the night before he disappeared? And where did his wife spend the night? I’m assuming she and the kids spent the night at her parents’ in Stockton. It’s possible they all were home and went their separate ways early in the morning, but it doesn’t sound that way. What if the wife huffed off after an argument and said “That’s it! I’m taking the kids and going to Mother’s!” ?

by Anonymousreply 476a day ago

I have read reports the last person to see him was Chris, the lead searcher. Wonder if he will entertain questions about that during the AMA on FB later today or if he and Tom will continue to block questions that do not advance a particular narrative.

There seemed to be some anger from the wife early on, I wonder about all of it. She likely had the more time demanding and stressful job too. I am guessing he was to MEET them in Stockton rather than pick them up. She called cops so quickly/early wonder what that was about? Had SHE thought going running in triple digit heat was a bad idea?

At some point the thrill seeking had to get old from her perspective. It seemed like he ran dangerous trails with the kid in a stroller and they all hiked, with him leaving her behind, struggling more with the weight of the large baby. The grandparents got to take the kids to classes and do the fun stuff. Wonder how much relaxed downtime there was for the 4 of them, the wife did not mention it. In the one photo, the toddler is held upside down, was it him or dad who enjoyed that and the being thrown in the air? All that go go go wears on the people around them.

by Anonymousreply 477a day ago

I asked this some time ago, but hasn't only running buddy/reddit guy "best friend" been the one pushing the "thrill seeking", "risk taker" narrative? I still only see the one source. While I'm at it, I'm having a hard time keeping track between this guy and the guy who started the GoFundMe (are they "best friend A" and "best friend B"? Is Chris, referred to by r477 as the "lead searcher", also runspired on Reddit?

I need a fucking scorecard here and an aspirin.

by Anonymousreply 478a day ago

R477 Holding kids upside down has been a "thing" for "family fun photos" for a while now. Personally, I always hope they drop the kid, which is likely yet another good reason I would never entertain having one.

I get less of a go, go, go vibe from the other family members and more of an oh, no, no; they are going to find out we are as broke as a Real Housewife vibe.

I'll repeat myself from an earlier post. I think we are going to find out these guys were/are up to their eyeballs in debt.

by Anonymousreply 479a day ago

R477, we are thinking the same things. I’m guessing the wife is a rather ambitious person, in her sphere. Just this one peek into their Saturday is exhausting to me. This couple seems highly educated, very well-employed, lots of action all around. The parents’ cycling blog impressed me with the activity that two (possibly retired) older people were doing.

It seems to me he had the most time to indulge his obsession. Were they all enabling/coddling him?

by Anonymousreply 480a day ago

The cops certainly have used the word "financials" a LOT, R479 and from very early on.

I think Tom is the college friend who is pictured wearing the baby and who lived with Philip's uncle for a time. He started the FB page and the GFM. He lives in Massachusetts it appears.

Chris is a local runner friend, software geek, who per his LinkedIn has been unemployed for a year. He is in his 50's and is the "lead searcher" and the Reddit poster pushing the thrill seeker narrative.

Both Tom and Chris have blocked many on FB who are asking reasonable questions.

Chris is doing an AMA on the search FB page later today.

It does get confusing, both have big and aggressive personalities. Chris ran with Phil the night before, photographed him and claimed others were along. Wonder if any of those runners have made posts about Friday evening. The voices of Tom and Chris have drowned out a lot.

by Anonymousreply 481a day ago

R480, Philip had glitzy academic credentials but a pretty standard seeming job at a utility company that is in a precarious position due to its role in wildfires, it does not seem like a super ambitious job to me?

The wife had a specialized patent related job in a big law firm. She seemed stressed by life even before his disappearance.

The HUGE house in Berkeley would have been out of their reach without family buying the rest of the duplex and providing free childcare. But, was there tension? The wife described him as young and full of energy when they met but did that change? Of the 4 adults, he did seem the most coddled by the other 3. Hard to get a sense since so much is coming from Chris and Tom.

by Anonymousreply 482a day ago

This point has been made a few times. Where his car was found does not directly connect to the trails it is said he was planning to run on. In fact, to access that trail would require going on private land and through the land trust per people who run there. The staging area for the trail he was said to be planning to run on was elsewhere. Wonder if any of the landowners in between were the ones who refused SAR access? Was his car in the lot or on the street, there are a lot of contradictory details.

midforty · 46m There are a few things wrong with the park description. I have lived in Pleasanton until a year ago, and I am a trail runner. I know that park well, and went running there for years, so I had a lot of time to explore it.

There is no official route from where he parked to Pleasanton Ridge Park. From the small parking lot you first need to cross though the smaller Moller Ranch preserve on single track trails, then over through private land and then through land bank area - part of the Pleasanton Ridge Park, but not open to the public. If you are not familiar with the area (he wasn't), and have no phone with a map it's easy to get lost. There are lots of small wooded canyons on that side of the ridge. But if you find the route using a partially very steep fire road, after two miles total you'll reach the public part of the park, where you have to hop over a gate. Then, when you have reached the park, you are in a rather remote part of it. Water fountains exist, but the next one from there is a few miles south and you'd need to know where. You may meet people there but not many, and because it's far from official trailheads mostly mountain bikers. Most times I was there I didn't see anybody.

by Anonymousreply 483a day ago

In my opinion the wife’s behavior initially rules her out as a suspect. A woman trying to hide guilt would appear very upset and constantly discuss what a perfect life and family they had to throw people off.

Her irritation likely stems from his risky behavior which she obviously did not approve of, she probably wasn’t thinking to herself that she should change her demeanor because cops might think she’s a suspect.

I think that now reality is sinking in that he’s gone and she’s upset by the loss.

by Anonymousreply 484a day ago

Agree, R484, I don't think she or his parents are involved in whatever happened.

Which does make me think the controlling friends may have known of plans to bounce and are trying to steer the narrative to obfuscate.

The callous way Chris posts about him maybe being eaten by wild animals is not something I could see a caring friend doing in such detail.

Uber runner, 50+ Chris, software geek, unemployed for about a year, what does he do with his time? Where does his beer money come from? Perhaps his LinkedIn is not up to date but otherwise handy that he has so much free time.

by Anonymousreply 485a day ago

If this is true, where is he?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486a day ago

Reportedly was a flip/burner phone. If true, like a movie.

If true, are Tom and Chris hiding his whereabouts? Alameda County Sheriffs are watching it all, presumably.

by Anonymousreply 487a day ago

GFM over $70k now.

I think early on the police said they had retrieved the package, elsewhere was said to be a return.

If he did bail, could have gotten a head start on Friday evening, no? Someone else could have dropped the car. Or picked him up.

by Anonymousreply 488a day ago

The Love With a Lot Lizard dream lives on!

Go Phil!

by Anonymousreply 489a day ago

I don't think the Gerard guy quoted at r486 is legitimate, there are always "media strategists" and "social media gurus" who jump into these things, pretending to have inside info. They're just trying to up their likes and followers.

by Anonymousreply 490a day ago

[quote]Had SHE thought going running in triple digit heat was a bad idea?

I'd bet that's exactly what she thought. If she told him the weather was bad for the run but he insisted anyway, and then he was late, and if he had a history of being stubborn and/or a slacker with family responsibilities, she may have gotten really angry with him. May have even thought she'd call the cops on him to teach him a lesson.

by Anonymousreply 491a day ago

Wonder how the police knew he mailed a package so quickly?

by Anonymousreply 492a day ago

This article says the package he mailed was a return. The guy saying it was cash, passport etc. is making it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493a day ago

Bet there will be lots of blocking during the AMA there are a lot of admins on that FB page.

The police have not said too much about video evidence, phone evidence, anything like that. Since early on it seemed that they thought he may have left the area. Is that common for them to say in disappearances? Seemed a bit jarring to me. Almost as jarring as buddy Chris posting about his corpse being eaten by animals.

by Anonymousreply 494a day ago

Is anyone here willing to commit to bringing the choice bits (likely all none of them) of the AMA over here? I'm the asshole who doesn't have FB otherwise I totally would. I was hoping some of the picnic photos would be posted over here, too. Or is that something Muriel frowns on? I'm not as in sync with her moods as I used to be.

by Anonymousreply 495a day ago

Besides we have not found him, and that is quite unusual, seems like the Alameda County Sheriff has not said much. Since they assigned all detectives to the case and since they are separate from SAR, seems that they would know a lot by now. But, they are not sharing. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 496a day ago

Why would P enter the park in such a strange way? Why not park in a lot at a trail head?

by Anonymousreply 497a day ago

I tried to post a BBQ pic for you, R495, but could not get it to load. I do not go on FB much so am not sure how to carry over those links. The FB page is public, not sure you need an account?

by Anonymousreply 498a day ago

Exactly, R497.

by Anonymousreply 499a day ago

r498 Thanks anyway. What is the link? I'll see if I can figure something out.

by Anonymousreply 500a day ago

Chris was fangirling over this, bet his wife had other thoughts, if she even knew.

One of the craziest things about Philip is how he'll take his son on trail runs in a stroller. He manages things like the descent from battery bluffs in the headlands and ramage peak trail in Trampas at good paces *while* pushing his son on that terrain.

And P did not even wear trail shoes, when I ran I had a pair of them and street shoes. The difference in traction is significant. And I was not running on " In fact his "typical" route is just that, 1k ft/mile with poor footing for large stretches" nor was I pushing a dependent on me for safety human in a stroller.

P was/is a guy who likes to push the envelop. Not only was he not more cautious as a father, he was reckless with the kid's safety too. He is like a dad who not only will not sell the motorcycle but who straps a toddler to the back. If he was like that, who knows where he could be, if in the park or elsewhere? And was he really chafing at the perceived restrictions of family life with another kid added?

by Anonymousreply 501a day ago

What is the link to the FB page that is.

by Anonymousreply 502a day ago

Here is the FB page, I do not see a link for the AMA yet? 90 min is a long time.

Find Philip Kreycik

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503a day ago

r501 is that your opinion or a quote from someone. I am having a hard time understanding it.

by Anonymousreply 504a day ago

Can others see a link? I did not "join" the group, is that why I can't see it? Or is Chris not on yet?

by Anonymousreply 505a day ago

R504, based on this post by his friend Chris on Reddit. Chris ran with him the night before and is the "lead searcher."

unspired · 1d the person who wrote that "analysis" post doesn't understand trail running let alone Philip's abilities and fitness. Philip isn't simply "a fast dude", he is a beast of a trail runner who with minimal mileage can keep up with most any elite on any terrain: the more technical the better. In fact his "typical" route is just that, 1k ft/mile with poor footing for large stretches. Also missed is the breadth of terrain Philip has covered in his running, even recently. He definitely doesn't stick exclusively close to home. One of the craziest things about Philip is how he'll take his son on trail runs in a stroller. He manages things like the descent from battery bluffs in the headlands and ramage peak trail in Trampas at good paces *while* pushing his son on that terrain.

Also our run the evening before was basically not even a recovery-run level effort, we just wanted to go out and enjoy the evening. We took it extra slow and stopped for 30min at Redwood Peak for a cold beer in the middle. 1600ft over 6+ miles is almost not even hilly for us. For comparison, Philip almost never runs slower than 5:45 GAP and our run that night was like 10:30 GAP. We were seriously just phoning it in and enjoying the evening. The idea that it was fatiguing or dehydrating is ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 506a day ago

Chris earlier this afternoon, wonder how the AMA is gonna go for 90 minutes

Chris Thoburn I was blunt with someone who needed bluntness, and only because that person kept reposting their nonsense. Just how much nonsense that person was full of was pretty clear by the way they kept attacking the volunteers out here. Hopefully folks will not be such trolls later but if they are then we’ll handle it.

by Anonymousreply 507a day ago

Surprised this woman was not blocked already for this

Trish Fuzesy Chris Thoburn I read the exchange and agree it got heated. One item does stick out to me though. The person posted a summary of his analysis of Philps’s public running data after a review. I don’t know if it was accurate but he did state his reasoning for conclusions drawn. I don’t recall you pointed out errors in his analysis. Rather it was dismissed as nonsense without stating why (other than you disagreed). While exchange was heated I did not understand why you dismissed as nonsense. Like · React · More · 15 minutes ago

by Anonymousreply 508a day ago

I am now reminded why I quit Facebook in the first place. It is a DISASTAH to navigate. At least for me. Using my long suffering husband's to see what there is to see. I joined the group but I am not seeing a link to the AMA.

I'll keep refreshing or something...

In the meantime, here is one photo of their little picnic...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509a day ago

Chris was arguing with someone in the comments 3 min ago, don't think the AMA is live yet.

Curious why he would do it on FB to the "faithful" as it were and not on Reddit with a MUCH larger reach, esp since he uses Reddit a lot? Is it about raising awareness or controlling a narrative?

by Anonymousreply 510a day ago

Karen Fontana Tom Wooten thank you for organizing. Will you, or another Admin and Moderator be on the session to help facilitate? I’m sure Chris would appreciate the support. I’ve seen some recent fiery messages lately; I’m sure everyone is tired and emotionally exhausted. 💕🤗 Allison Rogers Edited · 1 · Like · React · More · Today at 1:59 AM Hilary Wunderlich Karen Fontana We will have a few sets of eyes on the post, thank you for your concern. 1 · Like · React · More · 11 hours ago Karen Fontana Hilary Wunderlich uh... it's not the comments/ questions I'm concerned about..... the fiery comments have come from the presenter… Edited · 2 · Like · React · More · 3 hours ago Chris Thoburn I was blunt with someone who needed bluntness, and only because that person kept reposting their nonsense. Just how much nonsense that person was full of was pretty clear by the way they kept attacking the volunteers out here. Hopefully folks will not be such trolls later but if they are then we’ll handle it. 3 · Like · React · More · 2 hours ago Trish Fuzesy Chris Thoburn I read the exchange and agree it got heated. One item does stick out to me though. The person posted a summary of his analysis of Philps’s public running data after a review. I don’t know if it was accurate but he did state his reasoning for conclusions drawn. I don’t recall you pointed out errors in his analysis. Rather it was dismissed as nonsense without stating why (other than you disagreed). While exchange was heated I did not understand why you dismissed as nonsense. 1 · Like · React · More · 25 minutes ago Chris Thoburn Trish Fuzesy his errors had been pointed out previously and he kept re-posting the same (very) faulty pseudo-analysis. Like · React · More · 6 minutes ago Chris Thoburn (which ftr I'm not even sure was his, unless he goes by multiple names) Like · React · More · 5 minutes ago

by Anonymousreply 511a day ago

Chris' extended unemployment - wonder if it is linked to being a hothead, know it all and having a less than charming personality?

If my friend or loved one was missing doubt I would want to be calling people names on the internet, kwim?

And the cops have already raised voluntary disappearance so nothing anyone raises is "new."

by Anonymousreply 512a day ago

I know people need to eat, but the people in the picnic picture look far too relaxed, happy, and laid back. I would never guess in a million years they were searching for a missing guy. I'd think 60th high school reunion.

by Anonymousreply 513a day ago

They had media reach out about the AMA and that is what their "lead searcher" is doing that delays the start? How professional and focused on Philip. This dude is sketchy AF.

by Anonymousreply 514a day ago

Please stop with the "kwim" shit. Please.

by Anonymousreply 51521 hours ago

Agree, R513, imagine the cops had the same response. "Much needed downtime."

Jenn shoulda picked better. Living with pushing 40 Peter Pans is bad enough but add in adrenaline junkie and putting kid at risk and cheerleading by adrenaline junkie friends and it is a mess. Guys I have known like this blow out their knees eventually and turn to booze and chasing young women.

by Anonymousreply 51621 hours ago

Quite a few questions but he has not answered one in almost 15 minutes. Probably would have been more enlightening to have one of the sheriff's dept involved too.

by Anonymousreply 51721 hours ago

It may be that only those approved to "join" the public group can see the AMA, there does not seem to be a separate post about it.

by Anonymousreply 51821 hours ago

They started late. It is on the public page.

Really good questions, not one reply from Chris. Huh.

by Anonymousreply 51921 hours ago

He's not going to answer fuck all. He's doing this for the headpats and attention and he's getting plenty.

by Anonymousreply 52021 hours ago

Chris is posting the answers in a google doc. Chris Thoburn 7/23 AMA Q&A Responses - Google Docs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52121 hours ago

His answers so far are even stranger than what I expected. There are a lot of excellent and pointed questions that he has not touched, yet. Chris uses the word "I" quite a bit, shocker.

by Anonymousreply 52221 hours ago

A google doc? Makes perfect sense. Do the mods know about this because they seem confused too.

I think this is more of a fact finding mission to discover what questions the public has, so Chris and the other guy can spin an answer that fits their narrative.

I hope the PD are having a good giggle right now watching this asshole who knows better than ANYONE dig himself into a hole he likely won't get out of.

by Anonymousreply 52321 hours ago

He just posted this, dude has SUCH a Dexter vibe.

It's certainly a possibility that he's been dismantled and cached (buried) by various forms of wildlife, and most of our searching at this point is looking for smaller parts and odors that might reveal this.

by Anonymousreply 52421 hours ago

Ah, now he is getting to what they talked about on Friday eve...finally. The big reveal?

by Anonymousreply 52521 hours ago

R523, yes.

And the Eileen person gatekeeping and telling people their questions have been answered in the FAQ.

I guess they don’t know that “AMA” means “Ask Me ANYTHING”

by Anonymousreply 52621 hours ago

r524 You beat me too it.

Was it hard dismantling him Chris?

by Anonymousreply 52721 hours ago

He speaks of him in the past tense

by Anonymousreply 52821 hours ago

Q: What did Philip and I discuss the night before he went missing?

I'll start with the text thread and fill in the in-person conversations after. I think our texts leading up to his disappearance show a lot about who he was as a family-first man, and the level to which he took his responsibilities to his family very seriously.

I haven't wanted to share them, or our in-person conversation, publicly before because in it we talk about many other places to run: places he ultimately chose not to run, and it made no sense to accidentally direct search efforts and resources to areas he wouldn't be.

by Anonymousreply 52921 hours ago

He stopped typing. Is he actually going to paste in their texts? What is up with him?

by Anonymousreply 53021 hours ago

He's answered 3 questions. Or should I say given his side, because these are hardly answers.

Poor baby must be exhausted.

by Anonymousreply 53121 hours ago

Why would he literally paste in the texts? This is so creepy..

by Anonymousreply 53221 hours ago

If they were demolishing the "tenant unit" did his parents live with them in their part of the duplex or had they moved out?

by Anonymousreply 53321 hours ago

The way he writes with the extraneous details is so off seeming given his friend may be DEAD and all.

We ran the first part of our loop, Waterloo Staging to French Trail to Redwood Peak Trail to Redwood Peak. We sat there for about 30min enjoying a warm breeze on a pretty much perfect evening and drinking the beers I'd packed in my running vest (with ice, they were still perfectly cold :D).

by Anonymousreply 53421 hours ago

I mean... isn't it obvious at this point?

by Anonymousreply 53521 hours ago

Keep updating please

by Anonymousreply 53621 hours ago

I brought three different beers, Philip chose first and drank Fort Point's "Villager". The fitingness of that selection for the weeks that have followed has stuck with me.

What does that even mean?

by Anonymousreply 53721 hours ago

Is it me, or did the texts get more and more blurry as they progressed?

by Anonymousreply 53821 hours ago

Is it me, or do the texts get progressively more blurry?

by Anonymousreply 53921 hours ago

Chris KNOWS the guy is dead (because he did it) but keeps forgetting he shouldn't know yet.

"While on this run we discussed *a lot* of things, a few of which I won't share because they are conversations about life decisions (relocating sort of things) he and his wife were planning that clearly will have changed now. But two conversations we had do matter:"

by Anonymousreply 54021 hours ago

While on this run we discussed *a lot* of things, a few of which I won't share because they are conversations about life decisions (relocating sort of things) he and his wife were planning that clearly will have changed now. But two conversations we had do matter:

First, we talked a lot about how his work was going and how life with Kia was going (his daughter is only 8 months old). Philip was excited. Happy. Content.

He felt work was going great and was proud that a big project he'd been hired to work on was nearing completion, which seemed to give him a sense of satisfaction as he approached taking his next 4 weeks of parental leave in August. We discussed the possibility of he, Jen and the kids joining my wife and I in Mammoth Lakes for the month where I'm considering (and now maybe not considering since I want to continue searching) spending a period of time for altitude training before taking a shot at the JMT FKT.

He was adjusting well to having two children, was impressed by how much Jen could juggle but also highly aware that anything he could do to lift a burden from her was something he wanted to do.

by Anonymousreply 54121 hours ago

Somebody ask him if he ever fucked Philip in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 54221 hours ago

I dunno, he may have bailed, Chris is selling it a bit too hard.

Suffice it to say Philip was his usual loving, humble, and kind self with a very selfless dedication to his family.

by Anonymousreply 54321 hours ago

It sounds like Philip had reservations about the Saturday morning run, and was very conscious of needing to get his wife and kids. And the Chris dude was trying to lure him, offering a ride.

And then I can’t read the last texts.

by Anonymousreply 54421 hours ago

He was adjusting well to having two children, was impressed by how much Jen could juggle but also highly aware that anything he could do to lift a burden from her was something he wanted to do. There's a few personal stories about Philip, trail running, and his wife and kids I'll try to fit in later but those were older conversations. Suffice it to say Philip was his usual loving, humble, and kind self with a very selfless dedication to his family.

Finally, we talked a lot about running plans for Saturday. Our initial thinking of Mt. Um had fallen through for logicistal reasons (mostly because he needed to pick up his wife and kids from her parents' new place in Stockton early afternoon and Mt. Um was too far for that). We talked more about Sunol, Ohlone and Del Valle as potential running spots.

Side note: Sunol park is *not* adjacent to Pleasanton Ridge and other than sharing the name is *not* where the town of Sunol and Sunol Ridge (which is in our search zone) are located.

by Anonymousreply 54521 hours ago

Oh god he took the time to change the font style in his side note to italics.

He's in a burning hurry to get your questions answered kids!

by Anonymousreply 54621 hours ago

If these even ARE from Philip.

This Chris guy is, as the kids say, sus.

by Anonymousreply 54721 hours ago

Is Chris angling for a new career?

Sabrina Kylie Bass Not a question, just praise. I was a private investigator(before I settled down and started a family) and I have never seen such an organized and sophisticated civilian search. I was reading through the Google docs and looking at the Instagram page last night in shock and awe. You have accomplished so much in 2 weeks. Philip is a lucky man to have a village such as this running behind him. Praying for his return. 16 · Like · React · More · 26 minutes ago Stephanie Haller Sabrina Kylie Bass this should be the gold standard for civilian searches going forward. I hope there is a plan to get this kind of action implemented nationwide with a foundation of sorts.

So much good can still be done for others.

by Anonymousreply 54821 hours ago

R546, what must the cops think of that?

by Anonymousreply 54921 hours ago

He was going to sleep in? Then why wear the same running clothes if he was coming from Berkeley?

Her parents had just moved to Stockton, wonder if they were in half the duplex and P, Jenn, kids and his parents were in the other half? If so, bit tight with working from home during covid with a toddler and newborn. But, would make it hard to have money problems with all that family support.

by Anonymousreply 55021 hours ago

R548, well, LUCKILY there is a big fat GoFundMe that Jen Yao won’t be needing. He can just use that. It’s what Philip would have wanted.

by Anonymousreply 55121 hours ago

An interesting thing (unrelated to the search but was a moment of joy in our run) was that despite both Philip and David enjoying beer and running neither had ever gone on a run before in which they paused midway to drink one. If you haven't taken the time to go for a run with the intent to just stop and sit and enjoy nature, especially with a beer, I highly recommend it. Philip now would too.

by Anonymousreply 55221 hours ago

Cop: Hey buddy, thought you were in a burning hurry to get back to "your" search team? An AMA huh? 4 questions? No, still on the 3rd? Nice touch with the italics in real time, pal. You'll be a treat teaching other inmates your typing skills. LOCK HIM UP BOYS!

by Anonymousreply 55321 hours ago

I can see all of the texts clearly but am on a laptop. Try another device?

by Anonymousreply 55421 hours ago

Pushing the fucking beer angle again. Why?

"An interesting thing (unrelated to the search but was a moment of joy in our run) was that despite both Philip and David enjoying beer and running neither had ever gone on a run before in which they paused midway to drink one. If you haven't taken the time to go for a run with the intent to just stop and sit and enjoy nature, especially with a beer, I highly recommend it. Philip now would too."

by Anonymousreply 55521 hours ago

He's trying to BORE us off his scent. It is almost working.

by Anonymousreply 55621 hours ago

Wonder if Chris' unemployment has anything to do with him being a creepy and disordered motherfucker?

The beer is in the photos too.

by Anonymousreply 55721 hours ago

Cut or uncut, Chris?

Go Datalounge on Creepy Chris.

by Anonymousreply 55821 hours ago

Philip’s answers remind me of myself when aim trying to politely avoid something without saying “No” outright. And Chris just keeps plugging away.

I feel bad for Philip.

Also, why are people asking Chris things that only police would know? It must be inflating his ego (maybe that’s the intent).

by Anonymousreply 55921 hours ago

Did someone say beer?

by Anonymousreply 56021 hours ago

Well, good job, Chris. I no longer think that Philip disappeared himself. I think you killed him.

by Anonymousreply 56121 hours ago

Ooh, look at his indented sub points. He acts like he is writing an essay in jr. high on various topics. Chris is creepy. He is not the longtime friend from college, that is Tom.

Wonder what others close to Phil think now? In the texts Phil does come off as pretty dedicated to his family, more than I expected. Chris does not communicate like a guy, why so many words?

by Anonymousreply 56220 hours ago

Maureen Spranza Has anyone followed up on the lead from the woman who was posting there might be foul play involved regarding runs in which the winner is illegally determined in advance ($$) She mentioned this because two other ultramarathoners also disappeared in California this month.

by Anonymousreply 56320 hours ago

Something about our friend Chris stinks.

by Anonymousreply 56420 hours ago

Quite the raconteur, our Chris

A great story I heard this week from a runner I know who suffered heat exhaustion earlier this year (and who thankfully had his phone, had water, and was in familiar territory) was that only 15min after his last stop for aide and supplies he realized he was cooked. So he sought shade thinking he'd cool down for a bit. He sat there for almost 4 hours, watching hikers go by who didn't ask nor asking for help. He eventually texted his wife to pick him up only a mile away (downhill), and it took him nearly 2 hours to make that descent because of his need to pause for rest and bring his heart rate back down.

No one writes like this for AMAs and no one who is trying to draw in help to find your possibly dead friend. The past tense gives it away every time.

by Anonymousreply 56520 hours ago

All of this will be part of his book to launch for X mas.

by Anonymousreply 56620 hours ago

places I've been re-checking

Yep, whoever called it upthread, Chris will find the body

by Anonymousreply 56720 hours ago

This said, I feel

Lots of grandiosity.

by Anonymousreply 56820 hours ago

Reading Chris’s dissertation on heat exhaustion, we learn that Philip was NOT heat-adapted. (Why was he trying so hard to get Philip to run with him, then?) It’s a condescending little lesson.

Chris mentions in his blog that he had a collapsed lung a whole back, and had surgery for it. He seems to be explaining why he can’t run as well as he used to. Maybe he was trying to sabotage superior runners and went too far with Philip.

I’m only half serious. This guy is a grade A creep. I’m sure the cops are watching him.

by Anonymousreply 56920 hours ago

Part 2 is at the ready...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57020 hours ago

R567, I didn’t write that, but I think it’s going to happen that way. Creepy Chris is going to find poor Philip’s body.

And, like r562, i think Philip did come off as caring about his wife and kids more than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 57120 hours ago

Phil did not mention any work meeting in the texts, just needing to meet his wife and kids at his in-laws. That utility is typically a 40 hour per week job. Wonder where that detail came from?

Jenn did call it in very quickly, maybe worried about the weather, maybe a 6th sense? Phil also seemed very time conscious and concerned about running in the heat, etc in the texts, not some crazy daredevil.

I cannot imagine posting practically whimsically about a friend being eaten by wild animals, Chris is a sick pup who is getting off on his role in this in multiple ways. Wonder what the 3rd runner along on Friday night thinks?

by Anonymousreply 57220 hours ago

He was texting about cleaning and picking up and putting away groceries after work and being on kid duty w/o resentment. I do not think he disappeared himself, which was my initial guess. I do think it was odd of Chris to post their texts.

by Anonymousreply 57320 hours ago

r572 I wonder if the 3rd runner was Chris' "helper" the next day?

Not that manly man know it all Chris would ever NEED help, mind you.

by Anonymousreply 57420 hours ago

It was mentioned upthread before, but how do we really know these texts are from Philip? I mean, Chris has had a lot of time on his hands what with pretending to search and doing some well deserved picnicking. Maybe these are fakes. I wouldn't put anything past this freak at this point.

by Anonymousreply 57520 hours ago

R573, I agree. I was projecting some things onto him that don’t seem to be borne out in those texts. And I did think it possible that he took off to escape the pressure. Now it seems to be a very distant possibility.

Datalounge seems to be the only place to discuss this story freely. Websleuths is not allowing any more discussion of the AMA because it’s on social media and not an approved source of information. Tricia should get together with Muriel and go bowling.

by Anonymousreply 57620 hours ago

I wondered that too, supposedly he and Phil had never met.

I thought it was supposed to be 90 min but it started late and he is still slowly typing. This dude is why I could never get into following true crime stuff, it just makes my skin crawl. The way he thinks, there are little tells, is so off. Wonder what Chris' former co-workers when he had a job thought of him?

I had a similar thought, R575, Chris has an IT background.

by Anonymousreply 57720 hours ago

I have had heatstroke and posted about it early on in the thread. No blog needed. It fucks up your thinking and can kill you. The end.

by Anonymousreply 57820 hours ago

Has this info about footprints been put out before?

The ravines that do lead into this property would require Philip to have made a series of especially bad decisions. Not impossible for someone in his potential state, but of the various probabilities I'd go with *extremely not likely*. To get into these ravines he'd have to make a series of uphill wrong turns away from landmarks after leaving his route. He'd also likely have had to have doubled back over his loop after missing both his turn and the 3 next best turn options. This is because in part his footprints that were found were heading up on Mariposa Trail, indicating he'd cut the loop short at exactly the point he needed to in order to stick to the time budget he had. Police searched the buildings on the property.

by Anonymousreply 57920 hours ago

Crazy @ WS, these are direct statements by the lead searcher in the case. Not ramblings of a rando.

by Anonymousreply 58020 hours ago

r579 Where is that info from?

by Anonymousreply 58120 hours ago

Chris' Google Doc.

He seems to have stopped typing now.

by Anonymousreply 58220 hours ago

Okay, lemme guess: Chris disposed of Philip’s body somewhere on a “grouchy” landowner’s property… he’s sad he won’t be able to make the discovery himself.

by Anonymousreply 58320 hours ago

Wait — Philip had never met Chris before that “group” run?

by Anonymousreply 58420 hours ago

David Lam had never met Phil before Friday nite per the texts.

by Anonymousreply 58520 hours ago

r582 I'm not taking a single period from Chris' pwecious Google Doc as truth at this point.

by Anonymousreply 58620 hours ago

This is a very good question, these groups have a lot of expertise, unlike Chris. And why use donations to create something duplicative, re-inventing the wheel, when these groups exist. Unless Chris is unemployed and creating a job for himself? SAR also has a great deal of training and begins working with and teaching teens. Why have know it all know nothing Chris get in their lanes?

Cyndi Jo Have the community volunteer search leaders and/or family considered contacting or utilizing the services of seasoned missing persons organizations? Ex. Texax EquuSearch, The Center for Search & Investigations (CFSI), The Doe Network, etc.

by Anonymousreply 58720 hours ago

Chris is now rambling @ trail safety and male privilege. He is some piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 58820 hours ago

OK Websleuth refugees (I am assuming). PLEASE be clear in your posts as to where your information is from. Cite the source, or better yet provide a link. If it is simply your own conjecture, great, just make that clear as well.

Don't Frau up the joint, basically.

by Anonymousreply 58920 hours ago

You just did.

by Anonymousreply 59020 hours ago

From Chris’s “AMA” answers in the Google doc, linked in the FaceBook page, today, 7/22/21 (did I do that correctly, r589?):

“… I suspect Philip just bit off more than he could chew. I also worry a bit about the conversation I'd had with him and whether that made him under-prepare: the forecast for Mt. Um would typically be hotter than for Pleasanton in my experience, so having told him the temps we were expecting at 9-noon-ish there (had we gone there) was 85F may have meant he didn't check too hard.”

This guy REALLY makes it about himself, doesn’t he? Yeah, Chris takes credit for absolutely everything.

by Anonymousreply 59120 hours ago

Fuck off, R589. I have been here since the 90s, how about you? I have a dick, I just don't act like one. The hall monitoring is ridiculous. If you don't like the thread, block posters or scroll on by.

Most of the info re: this comes from the Search FB or from lead searcher Chris' Reddit posts, FB posts and google doc. Happy now?

by Anonymousreply 59220 hours ago

R591, I need to get on a work call or I would do a search for the number of times he uses the word "I" in that doc. He is really off.

So is he claiming he is there now? Is that where he stashed him?

by Anonymousreply 59320 hours ago

^ ^ triggered big frau.

by Anonymousreply 59420 hours ago

Love how Chris dated the AMA, does he plan on doing multiple editions?

by Anonymousreply 59520 hours ago

r592 I asked for nothing that isn't asked on crime threads all of the time. We don't know if it is conjecture, Chris, The San Francisco Chronicle, the cops, etc., if the poster does not tell us.

And MOST of the info we have here are from a number of different sources. Not just the two you mentioned.

So, settle down Beavis.

by Anonymousreply 59619 hours ago

Q: Is there evidence he actually drove himself there / etc.

Yes. In addition to UPS Store cameras (which is how we know he changed clothes in his car afterwards), his car's journey was tracked via various FastTrak and traffic cameras from leaving that store (where he dropped off a return item) until getting to the trailhead. He'd also called his wife that morning before setting out with his rough plan, and texted her

He really put himself front and center for all of it, eh?

by Anonymousreply 59719 hours ago

Reminder, Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59819 hours ago

So strange that all of this is coming from Chris and not the Alameda County Sheriff.

by Anonymousreply 59919 hours ago

Now it appears he is posting texts between Chris and his wife Jen in the Google doc?

by Anonymousreply 60019 hours ago

The great thing about Websleuths is that mainstream media sources are the only acceptable source of information, no one can be discussed as a suspect unless the police announce they are one, and your opinion must be explicitly explained as one. And you can’t sleuth family members on social media and discuss it there.

The great thing about Datalounge is that we can say whatever the fuck we want.

by Anonymousreply 60119 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!