Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

COVID Again

So, I had COVID in the late fall, got vaccinated in January, and now I have it again.

This Delta variant is not a joke. Please keep wearing your masks.

In spite of all of this, I'm giving full credit to Moderna that I feel generally fine. Nothing like the first time, just a very mild cough and something like pinkeye.

by Anonymousreply 293July 29, 2021 12:57 PM

I’d sure hate to make an antivaxxer sick

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2021 8:47 PM

I was so rundown last week. Tired, achy, my joints hurt, tiny cough/congestion. This week, fine.

I'm vaccinated for months, but I thought, "Again?" (had it bad in Spring '20).

Vaccines are miracle drugs.

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2021 8:52 PM

Not all of us are sociopaths, R1.

Thanks for sharing, VON, I hope you're completely better ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2021 8:52 PM

Glad you’re doing pretty well, VOTN.

Good to see you posting!

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2021 8:58 PM

You’re in health care, right? Do you think you got it at work from an unvaxxed patient?

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2021 9:03 PM

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2021 9:04 PM

Ugh this is why I don’t want to back to the office. I just know I’ll get it.

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2021 9:04 PM

Do you live in a state where pot is legal, OP?

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2021 9:04 PM

Does pot help with Covid symptoms?

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2021 9:06 PM

Glad to hear it's not as bad as your first bout, VotN.

Thanks for the info.

by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2021 9:09 PM

[quote]Do you live in a state where pot is legal, OP?

I'm in NYC, so yes.

[quote]You’re in health care, right? Do you think you got it at work from an unvaxxed patient?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I actually feel more or less fine. I worked out for an hour last night, and I was bored and doing push-ups in my office today. I just read about people with Delta variant getting conjunctivitis, and got myself tested out of paranoia.

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2021 9:09 PM

[quote] I just read about people with Delta variant getting conjunctivitis,

Ooooh. That sounds good. What restaurant has that?

by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2021 9:14 PM

Thanks for sharing, this is why I will keep my mask on.

by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2021 9:19 PM

It's sounding like masks are not getting the job done against the Delta variant this time around.

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2021 9:20 PM

R14 that’s because most people don’t wear them anymore. Thanks to the CDC.

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2021 9:22 PM

There certainly seems to be a lot of breakthrough infections for something the CDC characterizes as "rare."

by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2021 9:27 PM

that sucks!

by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2021 9:34 PM

Conjunctivitis? Now I’m going to be on the lookout for anyone with pink eye.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2021 9:52 PM

Glad it’s mild VOTN.

by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2021 9:58 PM

R11 Please post a link to what you read about Delta and conjunctivitis. I tried a Google search but couldn’t find anything. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2021 10:03 PM

It wasn't a scholarly article, it was a former E! reporter talking about her experiences with it on Huffington Post. I just happened across it because Apple News suggested the article. She talked about having a "weird pus" coming from her eyes.

I did find a few ophthalmology websites recommending screening for COVID for patients presenting with conjunctiviti.

by Anonymousreply 21July 14, 2021 10:28 PM

Masks forever! Even when sucking cock!

by Anonymousreply 22July 14, 2021 10:33 PM

I read some time ago that conjunctivitis was one of the less common coronavirus symptoms but I haven't seen anything about it specifically in conjunction with Delta.

by Anonymousreply 23July 14, 2021 10:40 PM

I'm in the UK and Delta is tearing through the country. I know several vaccinated people who have gotten it. One is an older gentleman in his 70s who has it pretty bad. He keeps saying thank goodness he's vaccinated or he probably wouldn't have survived it. Other younger (middle aged) people I know who have it liken it more to having a cold more than anything else. All of a sudden our community seemed to have loads of people with colds and lo and behold, we have a Covid Delta outbreak here.

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2021 10:44 PM

R20 Thanks. While not as specific as loss of smell and/or taste, I agree it’s worth testing folks with conjunctivitis for COVID to alert them to their positivity.

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2021 10:46 PM

When you say 'vaccinated' are you specifically meaning both injections? Even so, in such an outbreak as much as 10% of double-jabbed could certainly have weaker (true flu-like maximum) cases.

by Anonymousreply 26July 14, 2021 10:49 PM

r24, then why is the UK opening back up without any protocols? Here in California we opened everything up on June 15th and now we are totally fucked!

by Anonymousreply 27July 14, 2021 10:54 PM

A small fraction of 1% infection = "totally fucked"?

by Anonymousreply 28July 14, 2021 10:56 PM

Didn’t the majority of the Uk get AstraZeneca? That one’s not as effective as Pfizer or Moderna, so it’s really apples and oranges comparing them situation there with the US.

by Anonymousreply 29July 14, 2021 10:58 PM

How do you get covid twice? I live in a city, haven't worn a mask for 2 months and I've never had it. Are you going orgies, OP?

by Anonymousreply 30July 14, 2021 10:59 PM

He mentioned working out and push-ups earlier, so if he is I want to be there.

He sounds sexy.

by Anonymousreply 31July 14, 2021 11:04 PM

[quote]How do you get covid twice? I live in a city, haven't worn a mask for 2 months and I've never had it. Are you going orgies, OP?

I have a diminished immune system because of the medication I take for my RA (which, I guess I won't be taking this week). I always have a problem with viral illnesses. I know I responded to the vaccine because I was in a study for immune suppressed people, and had antibodies out the wazoo.

My husband is negative, so it speaks to the vaccine preventing transmission as well, since we've been in close quarters.

by Anonymousreply 32July 14, 2021 11:57 PM

[quote] He sounds sexy.

He's not.

by Anonymousreply 33July 15, 2021 3:38 AM

Wishing you a speedy recovery OP.

by Anonymousreply 34July 15, 2021 4:02 AM

[quote]He's not.

I'm not the prettiest you've ever seen, but I have my moments.

by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2021 4:23 AM

One needn’t be pretty to be sexy.

Jolie laide

by Anonymousreply 36July 15, 2021 4:35 AM

Glad to see you posting, VOTN.

I have not stopped wearing a mask in public, indoors. I just bought a couple of dozen N95 masks on Amazon. The real ones that we could not buy because first responders could not get them.

The real deal has the horizontal head straps not the vertical ear strsps. Flu season is coming. Stock up.before we can't buy them agsin.

by Anonymousreply 37July 15, 2021 4:36 AM

You must have a delicate immune system OP. In CA today I saw a statistic in the news that 100% of the patients in the state hospitalized with COVID are unvaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 38July 15, 2021 5:04 AM

R38, VOTN hasn't been hospitalized. The point of the vaccine is that it develops antibodies so that you can handle covid better - it doesn't mean that you won't get it. So few people seem to understand this.

by Anonymousreply 39July 15, 2021 5:15 AM

I understand it completely R39. I was pointing out that "having COVID again" used as a way to portray a serious situation is misleading. The vaccine, as you said, prevents serious illness in the vast majority of cases. So there is no need to panic.

by Anonymousreply 40July 15, 2021 5:18 AM

Hey, VOTN, haven't been on here regularly for years. Aren't you the guy who got into medical school long ago (albeit an osteopathic med school)? What happened since then? How has that been going? Have you finished? Residency now? I vaguely recall that you were into soap operas. I'm a research scientist (immunology) and we engaged in several (positive) conversations here on the DL as you were applying to med schools.

COVID infection last Fall and vaccination in January tells me that you are working in health care. But how did you contract the Delta variant?!

I find this news to be disturbing and will be double masking again.

Sending socially distanced, virtual hugs.

by Anonymousreply 41July 15, 2021 5:35 AM

Remember back in the days where masks were not to protect yourself, but to protect others from getting germs from you? Now they protect the person wearing the mask? Is this science or media people running their mouths? Just asking. Everything seems to keep reversing. This raises credibility issues for all of it.

by Anonymousreply 42July 15, 2021 5:43 AM

The masks afford a percentage of protection for those who wear them, but the whole thing was- wear a mask because you may be asymptomatic and you'll keep from spreading it.

by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2021 5:45 AM

Masks offer some protection from large droplets. It's not an either/or scenario.

by Anonymousreply 44July 15, 2021 5:52 AM

The N95 mask removes Covid from ingestion by first line workers. It is the reason they were reserved for front line medical workers. Not all masks are equivalent.

The crappy little blue folded masks only removed large droplets. And shields are simply decorative.

by Anonymousreply 45July 15, 2021 7:20 AM

Every time I wear an N95 mask for more than a few minutes, I get respiratory itchiness for the rest of the day. If I'm just hopping around my building, getting mail or doing laundry, I'll wear a regular mask, but if I have to do a doctor's appointment or something like that, I'll go full N95.

by Anonymousreply 46July 15, 2021 7:27 AM

Real-world data suggests Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines are equally effective, with no real difference in the level of protection offered. Whatever you're offered, take it, if you haven't already done so!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 15, 2021 7:34 AM

I have become quite used to the N95 and when I go out, it is usually to a store or the gym, where you could not pay me to use a lesser mask.

I wonder if they are going to mix a booster into the flu vaccine this fall?

by Anonymousreply 48July 15, 2021 7:37 AM

R48 I believe Moderna is working on that, and Novavax’s ongoing phase 3 clinical trial includes groups that get combined COVID and flu vaccines. That may have slowed down the Novavax trial because it made the trial larger and more complex than if they had limited it to COVID.

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2021 7:46 AM

I thought I had pinkeye when I had COVID last year but it's been recurring ever since then and it responds to home blepharitis treatments, so I think that's what it is. Both my partner and I have gotten styes a few times since we got COVID, too. I'm not pleased. I hope yours is just pinkeye and not something that lingers, OP.

by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2021 8:09 AM

50 And I believe pink eye is pretty contagious too.

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2021 9:53 AM

[quote] VOTN hasn't been hospitalized. The point of the vaccine is that it develops antibodies so that you can handle covid better - it doesn't mean that you won't get it. So few people seem to understand this.

While this is true, it’s a little misleading. For the large majority of people who are fully vaccinated, they are protected from catching COVID at all. While it’s true, a vaccinated person CAN still catch a breakthrough case, that has happened to only 2% of vaccinated people so far…and so far, the vaccine is preventing serious illness in that 2% (as you said). I’ve heard some anti-vaxers say they’re not getting vaccinated because they can still catch it anyway. They are missing the fact that’s it’s a very small percentage who have gotten a breakthrough case an exponentially smaller number of that 2% who have had significant complications (0.4% of the 2% of vaccinated people who catch breakthrough Covid develop serious complications).

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2021 10:48 AM

R52, A King's College, London study of UK cases has found that 47% of new cases in the UK are people who have had at least one vaccine. I assume this is mainly because of new Covid variants.

"Vaccinated Britons make up almost half of Covid cases in the country, a symptom-tracking study suggested today — but there are signs the third wave may have already peaked.

King's College London scientists estimated 33,118 people were catching the virus daily in the week ending July 10, compared to 33,723 in the previous seven-day spell.

But 47 per cent are now among those who have received at least one dose of the Covid vaccine, surging upwards from around a quarter at the start of June.

This does not mean the jabs do not work. Scientists have always been honest that they are not perfect and millions will still be vulnerable to infection even after getting both doses.

Professor Tim Spector, who leads the study run with health-technology firm ZOE, said the shift in trend was likely because the virus was 'running out' of non-jabbed Britons to infect, with nearly 90 per cent of adults now given at least one dose.

Studies show a single dose is less effective at preventing infection, although it still drastically slashes the risk of hospitalisation and death. Jabs are also slightly weaker against the Indian 'Delta' variant, which triggered the third wave."

by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2021 12:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2021 12:53 PM

Thanks for sharing, R54, I was waiting for renowned medical expert Zuby to weigh in on masking.

by Anonymousreply 55July 15, 2021 12:57 PM

The poster who posted Zuby's thoughts reminded me of the academic teaching in Texas who referenced Jenny McCarthy when I was discussing vaccines with her a couple years ago. She was taking the anti-vax stuff seriously because of Jenny. Fucking. McCarthy. Why? I metaphorically wanted to kill myself there and then.

by Anonymousreply 56July 15, 2021 1:04 PM

I just saw this so will drop here. Lady fully vaxed but breakthrough of variant.

Bonus, Jake reporting….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 15, 2021 1:09 PM

Another interesting thing about the King's College study is that they found that double jabbed people with Covid were reporting different symptoms to those who weren't vaccinated, as well as fewer symptoms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2021 1:11 PM

I was in Whole Foods yesterday and maybe only 25% of the crowd was wearing a mask, including me. On Tuesday I was in Trader Joe's and basically almost EVERYONE was wearing a mask.

by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2021 1:16 PM

Our hospital is full of COVID patients again but they were all unvaccinated. The one person we were told was a breakthrough case turned out to have had a faked vaccine card! The county health department won't confirm it but rumor is that he's the 50-something guy who died from COVID last week.

by Anonymousreply 60July 15, 2021 1:24 PM

The vaccines are definitely keeping people out of hospital, which is really good news.

by Anonymousreply 61July 15, 2021 1:26 PM

I'm not going back to masks until either the CDC or my local health officials require it and I just don't think they will. After I've played by the rules and done everything I was supposed to since March of 2020, I'm not going to allow crazy people who refuse to get vaccinated to control my life.

by Anonymousreply 62July 15, 2021 1:27 PM

R62- Has stated HER BOUNDRIES.

by Anonymousreply 63July 15, 2021 1:34 PM

R62 then don’t!

by Anonymousreply 64July 15, 2021 1:41 PM

R62, what you wrote doesn't actually make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 65July 15, 2021 1:44 PM

R62 Do be careful hunny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 15, 2021 1:47 PM

There was a one-week period where I had stopped wearing my mask indoors, because everyone else seemed to have abandoned them as well (and I live in an area with relatively high vaccination rates). However, I don’t care if I’m the only person wearing a mask…until infection rates plummet to a negligible number, I’d rather be as safe as possible.

Who gives a fuck if the vaccines ensure you only get a mild form of COVID if you do contract it? The goal should be not to even get it in the first place, because the long term effects are still unclear.

by Anonymousreply 67July 15, 2021 1:48 PM

I don’t want Covid, mild or not

by Anonymousreply 68July 15, 2021 1:53 PM

Well damn. My young co-worker (who had mild COVID in the spring and recently got her first dose of vaccine) mentioned this week that she'd been diagnosed with conjunctivitis. I assumed she caught it from her kid who goes to daycare. So it could be a new COVID infection, or a lingering issue from her previous case?

Thank god I can milk working from home for another few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 69July 15, 2021 1:54 PM

[quote]Hey, VOTN, haven't been on here regularly for years. Aren't you the guy who got into medical school long ago

Seems like forever. 8 years now.

[quote](albeit an osteopathic med school)?

Sigh.

[quote]What happened since then? How has that been going? Have you finished? Residency now?

Yep. Decided to take leave of my senses and do a fellowship. Probably in the specialty you're thinking. Getting tantalizingly close to the finish line, though.

[quote[I vaguely recall that you were into soap operas.

Oh, yeah. Haunting a thread about the recent passing of GH's Stuart Damon. I miss having that kind of time, although it turns out that I get bored easily now, given that I'm facing at least a week of being stuck inside.

Everyone, seriously, keep the masks on. I'd been not wearing them in stores, and here we are. And it's not so much for me, this is just annoying. I feel guilty that I could have spread it to someone else.

by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2021 1:55 PM

I don't want Covid to kill me, so I got vaccinated. I don't want the flu, so get annual flu shots. Life comes with some risks.

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2021 1:55 PM

I wish you a speedy recovery VOTN. Hard to believe you went to school to be a DO 8 years ago at this point (I remember when you were batting around the idea).

by Anonymousreply 72July 15, 2021 2:03 PM

I live in an area that was very much mask compliant. Of course, now I'm seeing more and more people without them indoors. I was one of the first to wear masks in March 2020 in my neighborhood so I pretty much don't care what people think about masks. I do go to restaurants indoors, but for stores and public transportation, I'm still wearing my mask. I work from home, so the time I have to wear masks is pretty limited. Sure, sometimes it's a hassle when I forget my mask and I have to run back in my apartment to grab one. But wearing it for 20 minutes at the supermarket or on the train isn't a big deal. The tradeoff for being more protected against new variants is worth it.

Not having to wear masks outdoors (I live in an area with a small crowded downtown) was the biggest bonus anyway. That was the most freeing and again, it makes wearing them for little bit indoors seem such a small inconvenience.

by Anonymousreply 73July 15, 2021 2:05 PM

Nuke China.

by Anonymousreply 74July 15, 2021 2:06 PM

My brother who lives in Houston told me about 3 guys he knows who are fully vaccinated. Early 50's all work out. All take care of themselves. All 3 got Covid this past week. Sick as hell. The doctor told them that if they hadn't been vaxx'd they would probably be on a ventilator. This Delta variant is not to be messed with. I am going back to wearing masks everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 75July 15, 2021 2:10 PM

My cousin's sister's hairdresser's nephew's uncle is double vaccinated and got Covid yesterday. I'm putting myself in a plastic bubble from now on.

by Anonymousreply 76July 15, 2021 2:14 PM

Yes R76 by all means lets once again make light of the virus and its effects. It worked out so well the last time didnt it.

by Anonymousreply 77July 15, 2021 2:20 PM

R76 has a flatulence of the mouth problem so I say we just sit back and let him get into that big plastic bubble.

by Anonymousreply 78July 15, 2021 2:21 PM

Can't wait to get my first shot on Tuesday. That means I can finally travel again. I'm a Millennial (34), so I would have probably only gotten mild symptoms if I got infected, but I do it to protect not only myself, but others too. Also, with how this is panning out, you kinda need it to be able to travel. Well... not really, but it's easier to travel if you're vaxxed. I'm sure this is part of the reason why 90 % of people say yes to getting vaccinated here in Norway.

by Anonymousreply 79July 15, 2021 2:22 PM

I'm supposed to go on a cruise (leaving from Jersey) in October. We picked it because we wouldn't have to fly, and the mask restrictions are fairly tolerable. I had flown to California back in April for my birthday, and having the mask on for the entire flight was miserable.

I'm wondering if we should cancel now.

by Anonymousreply 80July 15, 2021 2:25 PM

R76- That would make you the GAY BOY in the plastic bubble.

by Anonymousreply 81July 15, 2021 2:26 PM

R80 you are going on a cruise? Why? Can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 82July 15, 2021 2:38 PM

[quote] London study of UK cases has found that 47% of new cases in the UK are people who have had at least one vaccine. I assume this is mainly because of new Covid variants.

Interesting, r53. I’ll check out that study. Isn’t the UK vaccinating mostly with AstraZeneca, which has a lower efficacy rate than Pfizer and Moderna? That plus single jabs not being “fully vaccinated” don’t make me more concerned for my own health as a fully Pfizer vaxed person. It makes me want to keep an eye on the data and follow guidelines, though.

by Anonymousreply 83July 15, 2021 3:00 PM

R53, you should have cited your source. The Daily Fail is hardly a reliable place to be getting your COVID information from. I wouldn’t even wipe my arse with that rag.

by Anonymousreply 84July 15, 2021 3:12 PM

R83, do you have a source for that? I googled and the studies I found say that they are about equally effective. However, of course, if you only have 1 jab, the efficacy is a lot lower. Both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines were only 33% effective against the Delta variant three weeks after the first dose compared to being 50% effective against the Kent variant.

by Anonymousreply 85July 15, 2021 3:12 PM

R84, the source is King's College, of course. Linked below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 15, 2021 3:13 PM

[quote] Now they protect the person wearing the mask? Is this science or media people running their mouths? Just asking. Everything seems to keep reversing. This raises credibility issues for all of it.

The prevalence of this attitude points to the piss-poor state of science education, particularly in the US. Scientific conclusions change as more information becomes known. That’s how science works. This is a novel coronavirus. Novel, as in never seen before. So conclusions about it will inevitably change as we learn more.

It only raises credibility issues if you’re an idiot and/or prone to buying into conspiracy theories.

by Anonymousreply 87July 15, 2021 3:19 PM

[quote] do you have a source for that?

R85, the Daily Mail article posted at r53 goes on to talk about the difference in vaccine efficacy in the paragraph subsequent to the one r53’s post stops at. DM isn’t a great source, so I’m looking for a better one.

by Anonymousreply 88July 15, 2021 3:20 PM

Can you link the specific study, r86? You link just goes to a research and data hub. I’d like to read more about the 47% who are supposedly vaccinated and infected with CV.

by Anonymousreply 89July 15, 2021 3:25 PM

R89, Tim Spector, the lead of the study has tweeted the graph himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 15, 2021 3:37 PM

Thanks r90.

by Anonymousreply 91July 15, 2021 3:54 PM

Another second COVID infection here. Interestingly, also had bad conjunctivitis with it. My first was in December and was hospitalized. I got the Pfizer vaccine and thank goodness for it - I was only down for a week this time.

by Anonymousreply 92July 15, 2021 3:59 PM

I had covid right when the vaccine came out. A very mild case. Had to wait a bit to get vaccinated but finally got around to it yesterday. I got the Pfizer

by Anonymousreply 93July 15, 2021 3:59 PM

Here’s the study about the Delta variant in the Uk.

by Anonymousreply 94July 15, 2021 4:05 PM

Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 15, 2021 4:06 PM

Good Lord, I’m not leaving the house ever again!

by Anonymousreply 96July 15, 2021 4:06 PM

[quote]I’d sure hate to make an antivaxxer sick

Not everyone can get vaccinate: Children under 12 and those with certain medical conditions.

by Anonymousreply 97July 15, 2021 4:06 PM

d*

by Anonymousreply 98July 15, 2021 4:07 PM

[quote]The prevalence of this attitude points to the piss-poor state of science education, particularly in the US. Scientific conclusions change as more information becomes known.

And while the vaccines are in their experimental phase, as the currently are, it'll be interesting to see if conclusions about their efficacy and safety change...

by Anonymousreply 99July 15, 2021 4:11 PM

R80, if it’s important to your husband I think you two should go.

Sylvia, are they making you return to the office? I know you had hoped to be permanently work from home.

by Anonymousreply 100July 15, 2021 4:19 PM

R80, it'll be bad again by October, and you're going to be on a boat full of other people who thought it was a great idea to go on a cruise and probably signed up for that one because of the lax mask restrictions, which should tell you a lot about the people you'd be on board with.

But it's your life!

by Anonymousreply 101July 15, 2021 4:21 PM

I'm almost positive I had it twice last year, once in July when I first got conjunctivitis at the same time as a constant headache and fever and sore throat, then again in November when my partner tested positive. Had conjunctivitis again and a headache but no other symptoms, maybe I still had some antibodies helping me out.

On top of that, two of the nicest people I ever knew died of COVID just days before we got the vaccine here in town.

You couldn't have paid me to NOT take the vaccine. I would have brought a purse full of bricks to hit anyone who tried to keep me away from it. These people who didn't get the vaccine make me SO angry.

by Anonymousreply 102July 15, 2021 4:32 PM

R99 usage of mRNA for vaccinations is being developed since the fucking 90s ... this has been the longest trial in vaccination development EVER.

by Anonymousreply 103July 15, 2021 4:32 PM

R103 Fine.

Let's hope they get full approval by the FDA and are no longer experimental.

by Anonymousreply 104July 15, 2021 4:39 PM

R100 My university administration is talking out of both sides of its mouth, again. They're on record as supporting fully remote or hybrid work, but are leaving it up to individual departments to decide what is best for their staffs. My department head is at best willing to give me 50% remote.

I might be ok with that, but the university is not requiring vaccines and it's up in the air whether or not they'll even require masks in the fall. So I'm job hunting.

by Anonymousreply 105July 15, 2021 4:52 PM

"What began as 'vaccine hesitancy' has morphed into outright vaccine hostility, as conservatives increasingly attack the White House’s coronavirus message, mischaracterize its vaccination campaign and, more and more, vow to skip the shots altogether.

The notion that the vaccine drive is pointless or harmful — or perhaps even a government plot — is increasingly an article of faith among supporters of former president Donald Trump, on a par with assertions that the last election was stolen and the assault on the U.S. Capitol was overblown."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 15, 2021 4:57 PM

Mutch strengrh to you VOTN you have been on the DL for so long that I don't believe COVID can get you.

If DL can't shut you up some silly virus won't either

by Anonymousreply 107July 15, 2021 5:03 PM

Depending on vaccines to rescue us from Covid was great PR for pharmaceutical companies, but in reality it was always going to be a race between our ability to engineer effective vaccines and the virus's ability to mutate significantly enough that it could sidestep those vaccines. We didn't win that race. I hope we can find some additional techniques to fight Covid out of our population entirely very soon.

But as for protecting against Delta? If you are around people who are immune-compromised /high risk, you'd be doing them a favor if you wore a mask in their vicinity. Enough people are symptom-free when they have Covid that you can't depend you're not contagious.

And if **you** are immune-compromised/high risk and want to protect yourself from Delta, you're going to have to keep wearing a mask AND WEAR GLASSES. One of the biggest reasons masks are getting an unfair reputation for being ineffective barriers to viral transmission is because people aren't combining them with eye protection. It's this basic: you have to keep the viral particles out of your eyes and nose and mouth. Wearing a mask takes care of only 2/3 of those zones. If you leave your eyes unprotected and someone with contagious Delta Covid coughs near you, it is almost certainly going to get into your eyes.

by Anonymousreply 108July 15, 2021 5:27 PM

Why are you such an attention whore OP cunt?

by Anonymousreply 109July 15, 2021 5:40 PM

Who keeps calling Percy?

by Anonymousreply 110July 15, 2021 5:44 PM

R105, Sylvia dear, get your fat ass back in the office, it is only 50% of the time and your fat ass could use some movin'.

by Anonymousreply 111July 15, 2021 5:44 PM

Line up the jealous trolls ready for attack... Line them up

by Anonymousreply 112July 15, 2021 6:07 PM

R75- They ALL work out 💪

They ALL take care of themselves

They sound like GAY men

by Anonymousreply 113July 15, 2021 6:52 PM

How does one know they've been infected by the delta variant? Or is this an assumption?

by Anonymousreply 114July 15, 2021 6:57 PM

R114 The sample has to be sent for genetic analysis.

by Anonymousreply 115July 15, 2021 6:59 PM

Yeah, R115, but how does one access it? My doc laughed when I asked.

by Anonymousreply 116July 15, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote] The prevalence of this attitude points to the piss-poor state of science education, particularly in the US. Scientific conclusions change as more information becomes known. That’s how science works. This is a novel coronavirus. Novel, as in never seen before. So conclusions about it will inevitably change as we learn more.

It only raises credibility issues if you’re an idiot and/or prone to buying into conspiracy theories.

^^ the raging of a bitter troll

by Anonymousreply 117July 15, 2021 8:24 PM

[quote]COVID Again

Sequels always suck.

by Anonymousreply 118July 15, 2021 8:28 PM

R116 Ahh, for that I have no idea. I don't know if the information ever gets back to the patient, or if they're only collecting the data for public health officials. Basically, if you catch COVID in summer-fall 2021, I'd just assume it's Delta.

by Anonymousreply 119July 15, 2021 8:30 PM

VotN, so good to hear from you. For an old timer like me, it's nice to hear from another DL geezer.

Thrilled you weren't too sick. Yeah, this Delta SHOULD drive the home the need for every person to get vaxxed. But it won't. This nightmare should be nearly over. But now it's just gonna keep on keeping on.

by Anonymousreply 120July 15, 2021 8:58 PM

32 people have given WW to OP. Does that mean they don't like him and are happy he's a double douchebag for not only being irresponsible once, but twice?

by Anonymousreply 121July 15, 2021 9:20 PM

Cheers from another ancient authenticated, VOTN! I'm glad you're recuperating. Good to hear that, otherwise, things are going well.

by Anonymousreply 122July 15, 2021 9:20 PM

Good on you VOTN, you crusty old ass you!

by Anonymousreply 123July 15, 2021 9:27 PM

Sorry to hear all that Sylvia. Your supervisor sounds like a meanie.

Good luck on the job search. (If you can teach yourself the new NIH other support guidelines I am sure you’ll have an annoying, but secure, fully remote job in no time.)

by Anonymousreply 124July 15, 2021 9:37 PM

R47, I wouldn't believe anything that comes out of Australia at the moment. We have a huge problem here with Delta because our shit federal government relied solely on AstraZeneca and refused to purchase any mRNA vaccines. The recommend age groups for AZ were changed so many times, people have become suspicious about advice.

by Anonymousreply 125July 15, 2021 10:02 PM

More breakthrough infections:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 15, 2021 11:31 PM

If someone is fully vaccinated then I think having to show up at work 50% of the time is more than reasonable and quite generous. If the school is not requiring vaccinations or masks, there are no reason why you can't return to work if you are protected and are wearing a mask and social distancing. If someone is still concerned, then that person should ask for plexiglass installed around their work area.

by Anonymousreply 127July 15, 2021 11:58 PM

Get well soon, OP.

My best friend has a co-worker and long-term acquaintance who's a deplorable and an anti-vaxxer. Nearly three weeks ago, she, her husband, and her kids all came down with Delta. She rushed to her doctor to get monoclonal antibody therapy so she wouldn't die (for a couple of days it looked like she was going to have that outcome; she was headed for a ventilator). Across this past weekend her husband took a turn for the worse, and she took him for the therapy on Monday. After said treatment, both of them have improved; it looks like they're gonna live.

They're my best friend's acquaintances, and I've never really gotten along with her, so I don't ever talk to them. But I've been dying to ask her: what exactly is it about monoclonal antibody therapy that makes it acceptable for her to get, but the goddamned vaccine somehow isn't?

by Anonymousreply 128July 16, 2021 12:18 AM

As a public health announcement:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 16, 2021 12:48 AM

Except, r129, the one that has a 3M logo on it has a bunch of reviews saying they are counterfeit and smell like chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 130July 16, 2021 2:33 AM

r130, that is why I included the search and not a specific recommend. I assume the cunts here know how to read critically and come to their own conclusion.

Personally, I bought the BNX N95s. They are twice as expensive as the KN95s and the search was for N95s but...Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 131July 16, 2021 2:50 AM

Did you like the BNX, R131? Did they have any odor?

by Anonymousreply 132July 16, 2021 4:01 AM

Hey, r49. It is unlikely that we haven't met each other or at least know many of the same colleagues. I'll go first: 1980's: UCSF/HIV; 1990's-2010's: Biotech/autoimmune diseases; 2010's - present: immuno-oncology.

Your turn... :)

by Anonymousreply 133July 16, 2021 7:34 AM

Do not suffer to peer pressure she says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 16, 2021 12:11 PM

R134 I like her new walk

by Anonymousreply 135July 16, 2021 12:58 PM

Nuke China.

by Anonymousreply 136July 16, 2021 1:21 PM

r132, they replaced some KN95s I have. They have no scent to me, and I can tell that there is a little extra drag pulling air through them.

I like the BNX N95s.

by Anonymousreply 137July 16, 2021 2:13 PM

I've been getting masks from here. I like the Honeywell brand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 16, 2021 3:24 PM

The point is to get the N95s NOW as we are ahead of the EPSILON variant and the Flu vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 139July 16, 2021 4:02 PM

Flavors of Covid...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 16, 2021 4:10 PM

I was the first one to warn you to stock up on supplies when Covid started. All I'm going to say is start stocking up again.

by Anonymousreply 141July 16, 2021 8:01 PM

Feel better OP. That's scary. I'm in NYC too. Glad you are feeling okay.

by Anonymousreply 142July 16, 2021 8:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 16, 2021 8:51 PM

R133 I have a B.S. (1970s) and a Ph.D. (1980s) in Microbiology and Immunology, and I have been in academia my entire career.

by Anonymousreply 144July 16, 2021 9:00 PM

OP, you are lucky you got Moderna. But lotsa us here in some shithole country which only gives shithole Chinese vaccine Shino-fucking-vac to people under 60. And people are still being infected and very sick and many have died even though they were fully vaxxed. Just disgusting fucking Chinese shithole vaccine. I'm furious!!!

by Anonymousreply 145July 16, 2021 9:09 PM

r145, where are you located?

by Anonymousreply 146July 16, 2021 9:11 PM

[quote]Covid still killing Americans faster than guns, cars and flu combined.

We can do better! Let's go out and shoot more people!

by Anonymousreply 147July 16, 2021 9:37 PM

r145 My cousin lives in Mexico -- she told me she was lucky to get the Astra Zeneca vaccine, when most of the people are stuck with that Chinese one you mentioned--especially if they're under 60.

by Anonymousreply 148July 16, 2021 9:38 PM

If it makes any difference, the Chinese vaccines have a less than 50% efficacy rate 🤣

by Anonymousreply 149July 16, 2021 9:51 PM

OP's story is highly sus, as the kids say.

by Anonymousreply 150July 16, 2021 9:55 PM

So I expect our capable Pres and Congress can pull the trigger on actually getting some quality PPE made and distributed?

by Anonymousreply 151July 16, 2021 9:59 PM

r132 I'm not the person you asked, but when I got the BNX's from Amazon, they had an odor to me. They did not have any odor when I bought them previously from the Accumed.com website.

by Anonymousreply 152July 16, 2021 10:14 PM

[quote] [R132] I'm not the person you asked, but when I got the BNX's from Amazon, they had an odor to me. They did not have any odor when I bought them previously from the Accumed.com website.

Thank you. I have read a lot of complaints about all different kinds of masks being sold on Amazon being suspected as being counterfeits, so I always try and buy them from the manufacturer. I'll give them a try.

by Anonymousreply 153July 17, 2021 2:49 AM

[quote] OP's story is highly sus, as the kids say.

The OP / Voiceofthenight is a long time, and respected, poster on DL, r150, you ignorant cunt.

by Anonymousreply 154July 17, 2021 6:37 PM

[quote] I’ve heard some anti-vaxers say they’re not getting vaccinated because they can still catch it anyway. They are missing the fact that’s it’s a very small percentage

They’re missing a lot of facts, but facts don’t matter to them.

by Anonymousreply 155July 18, 2021 1:13 PM

[quote] but in reality it was always going to be a race between our ability to engineer effective vaccines and the virus's ability to mutate significantly enough that it could sidestep those vaccines. We didn't win that race.

Uh, we did. There has been no mutation to date that has sidestepped the vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 156July 18, 2021 1:15 PM

[quote] (albeit an osteopathic med school)?

[quote]Sigh.

I feel you, brother.

by Anonymousreply 157July 18, 2021 1:16 PM

[quote]—Sean Conley, DO, Former First Doctor

Biden's doctor is also a DO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 18, 2021 1:38 PM

VOTN!

I'm glad your symptoms are mild. Be well.

by Anonymousreply 159July 18, 2021 1:39 PM

R158, VOTN, two things:

One, it was a joke;

Two, Dr. Conley did nothing to exemplify the medical profession, regardless of type of practice.

(Indeed, my personal physician is a DO.)

by Anonymousreply 160July 18, 2021 2:16 PM

[quote]Two, Dr. Conley did nothing to exemplify the medical profession, regardless of type of practice.

Oh, he was just another Trump sycophant. But in the news, it was all about the degree.

Bad enough to be dumped on by Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell, but getting shit from Cher? THAT hurt.

by Anonymousreply 161July 18, 2021 5:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 18, 2021 7:01 PM

Interesting thread on Long Covid in Breakthrough cases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 19, 2021 1:39 AM

Hero

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 19, 2021 2:16 AM

R163 Be sure to read the comments to the first and last tweets in the thread. There are serious questions about the design of the study that affect how meaningful the data actually are. Based on a PubMed search, the author of the tweets has never published anything in a scientific or medical journal.

DL eldergay microbiolgist/immunologist

by Anonymousreply 165July 19, 2021 3:41 AM

Just a pro tip: Maybe you shouldn't be getting medical advice or scientific information from Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 166July 19, 2021 3:52 AM

I made no comment other than it was interesting. I was wondering who they used as their sample base because the earliest of us have only been fully vaxxed for seven months, and breakthrough cases have really only begun to ramp up with Delta recently (though were certainly happening before Delta became prevalent). So to say someone has had long covid is a little premature.

But if they have been looking at people who were part of the test group from last year who then got Covid after being fully vaxxed, that's a different story. Still, they don't say, so I don't know what to make of the study. But the fact that we don't KNOW the repercussions of getting breakthrough Covid in terms of the long haul is enough to make me keep masking and distancing. I know a few people who got Covid last year and still aren't doing well. I do not want to wind up an invalid because I couldn't be bothered to take 10 seconds to put on a mask.

by Anonymousreply 167July 19, 2021 5:46 AM

Omg the level of hysteria......

by Anonymousreply 168July 19, 2021 6:21 AM

R168- Shithead moron who thinks he's a victim because he wasn't able to go to Puerto Vallarta and do meth this NYE, so he's gonna have his FREEDUMB come hell or high water this year!

by Anonymousreply 169July 19, 2021 6:55 AM

R169 is an obvious TROLL. Block him.

by Anonymousreply 170July 19, 2021 6:57 AM

What's the matter, R168/R170, truth hurt?

by Anonymousreply 171July 19, 2021 7:12 AM

Pfizer and Moderna better snap it up with those updated vaccines for Delta!

by Anonymousreply 172July 19, 2021 7:22 AM

The current versions are effective against Delta.

by Anonymousreply 173July 19, 2021 7:33 AM

Is it because it's a muslim vaccine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 19, 2021 1:02 PM

But what about Epsilon?

by Anonymousreply 175July 19, 2021 1:02 PM

I'm Oh dearing myself...

by Anonymousreply 176July 19, 2021 1:03 PM

[quote] DL eldergay microbiolgist

Psst. You misspelled your, ahem, title.

by Anonymousreply 177July 19, 2021 1:18 PM

I don’t like the words “gay” and “micro” in any sentence.

by Anonymousreply 178July 19, 2021 1:19 PM

R133, yes we get it, you are both OLD.

by Anonymousreply 179July 19, 2021 1:57 PM

[quote]How do you get covid twice?

By being exposed to it on two different occasions.

What kind of idiocy is this? How can you be stumped by this? Are you admitting your own ignorance of how the virus spreads and proliferates? Are you too dumb to know that infection doesn't actually prompt immunity, just like colds and flus and multiple other viruses that reinfect us year after year?

Are you really this stupid?

by Anonymousreply 180July 19, 2021 3:34 PM

Gosh 180, you don’t have to be so harsh.

by Anonymousreply 181July 19, 2021 3:37 PM

I mean, I don't understand how I managed to avoid being exposed during our redeployment in the spring of 2020, but got it in the community twice.

I'm being a good boy, staying in the bedroom and starting to binge shows. I am SOOOOOOO bored.

by Anonymousreply 182July 19, 2021 4:01 PM

I have heard of three people in the past two weeks with break through infections. A married couple, each got the Pfizer shot in April, both doses. The wife lost her sense of smell as went and got tested. She was positive so her husband, who was asymptomatic, got tested as well and is also positive so they are quanantining.

Another person I know, a 49 year old woman with no underlying conditions, got the JJ shot in March and has full blown symptoms: high fever for 5 days, chills, relentless cough and breathing issues, and pink eye. Her doctor told her to go to the ER and her county’s health department has been in touch.

Scary shit.

by Anonymousreply 183July 19, 2021 4:23 PM

[quote] I am SOOOOOOO bored.

That's what your penis is for VOTN.

by Anonymousreply 184July 19, 2021 4:27 PM

[quote]That's what your penis is for VOTN.

Be more fun if I could have someone else play with it instead.

by Anonymousreply 185July 19, 2021 8:15 PM

[quote]If it makes any difference, the Chinese vaccines have a less than 50% efficacy rate

I've read that. Apparently they intended to play a joke and put pee-pee in the poke.

by Anonymousreply 186July 19, 2021 8:49 PM

Sum ting wong

by Anonymousreply 187July 19, 2021 10:58 PM

R177 Whoa, good thing I didn't leave out a letter when I was designing the genome sequence of that mutant virus.

(IT'S A JOKE, FOLKS.)

by Anonymousreply 188July 19, 2021 11:00 PM

Good one, R188!

by Anonymousreply 189July 20, 2021 2:21 AM

Anti-vaxxers love to do their "I told you so" dance whenever they hear of breakthrough infections, but none of the vaccines ever claimed a 100% efficacy rate.

I know so many people who rushed to throw their masks away as soon as they were immunized. They started going to bars, clubs, malls, and restaurants without masks...and frequently. A lot of the people who are getting sick after getting vaccinated are only telling the part of the story that makes them the victim. OP is a doctor, so that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 190July 20, 2021 2:39 AM

[quote]I know so many people who rushed to throw their masks away as soon as they were immunized.

As the CDC told them they could do.

by Anonymousreply 191July 20, 2021 2:59 AM

If the CDC told you to jump off a bridge, would you do that, too?

Anyone with half a brain knew the CDC was jumping the gun with that shit.

by Anonymousreply 192July 20, 2021 3:15 AM

that’s because most people don’t wear them anymore. Thanks to the CDC.

And every unvaccinated person who thinks the pandemic is over who follows advice for THE VACCINATED,

by Anonymousreply 193July 20, 2021 3:22 AM

Thanks for the thread VOTN - also thanks to the poster who recommended the Primis Medical site. Just ordered more masks, seems some will be needed for the smoke in air, too, very soon, which is why when the pandemic broke out I had some N95s on hand already due to wildfires.

Here we are again, on both counts.

by Anonymousreply 194July 20, 2021 4:13 AM

r194, My masks from Primis came yesterday, I think they only took 3 days. I only ordered 10 for 2 of us. I should probably order more.

I'm in the PNW and expect smoke soon too. I need to change my furnace filters too.

by Anonymousreply 195July 20, 2021 4:19 AM

[quote]VOTN

CUNT

by Anonymousreply 196July 20, 2021 4:21 AM

R192: [quote]If the CDC told you to jump off a bridge, would you do that, too?

I dunno. Lemme ask Dr. Walensky’s children what to do.

(IT’S A JOKE, FOLKS.)

by Anonymousreply 197July 20, 2021 5:06 AM

^^So much for code. I’m going back to quotation marks.

by Anonymousreply 198July 20, 2021 5:08 AM

Gentle r198 [quote] only works if it is the beginning of a line such as:

[quote] [quote] only works if it is the beginning of a line.

by Anonymousreply 199July 20, 2021 8:17 AM

R199 Thanks. I thought I did, but I’ll try again here.

[quote] quote only works if it is the beginning of a line

by Anonymousreply 200July 20, 2021 9:35 AM

R199 To quote Tessie Tura, one of the strippers in the musical Gypsy, when she got her costume to bump when she did: “Hey, the damned thing worked!”

by Anonymousreply 201July 20, 2021 9:56 AM

Actually R180 influenza virus immunity is very durable. Seasonal influenza mutates very quickly so every year we face what is basically a “novel” flu. But most people are immune to every flu they’ve had for life. That’s one of the reasons that there is such urgency to create a universal flu vaccine before the occurrence of a 1918-type virus. The folks who had survived that pandemic served as a buffer for the rest of us. But now they are all gone.

Coronaviruses are a whole ‘nother ball of wax.

Is it a standard 10 day quarantine VOTN?

by Anonymousreply 202July 20, 2021 11:11 AM

[quote]Is it a standard 10 day quarantine VOTN?

Sadly, yes. I spoke with my hospital today, and begged, but they told me it has to be until Friday.

The city wanted me to do that anyway. It's so stupid. I feel fine.

by Anonymousreply 203July 20, 2021 11:27 AM

My wife was so frustrated during her quarantine too. Thank goodness you only have a few days left.

by Anonymousreply 204July 20, 2021 11:34 AM

Thanks, ElderLez. I'm basically confined to my bedroom at this point, so I've just been binging shows and working out. I feel guilty about the last part, since I should be doing something to contribute to society.

by Anonymousreply 205July 20, 2021 12:20 PM

You aren’t overburdening city ERs and ICUs by breathing on idiot antivaxxers with your COVID breath. I’d say you are contributing a lot.

by Anonymousreply 206July 20, 2021 12:31 PM

VOTN and ElderLez need a podcast

by Anonymousreply 207July 20, 2021 12:41 PM

[quote] If the CDC told you to jump off a bridge, would you do that, too?

Are you really using 1970s Mom Logic?!

by Anonymousreply 208July 20, 2021 1:17 PM

I believe that Mom Logic has been around a lot longer than the 1970s r208.

by Anonymousreply 209July 20, 2021 1:21 PM

Oh, I’m sure it has, I just don’t think I’ve heard it used other than ironically since then.

by Anonymousreply 210July 20, 2021 1:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211July 20, 2021 3:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212July 20, 2021 3:38 PM

I believe r212, that when Gov DeSantis mentions "seasonal flux" he is referring to his IBS.

by Anonymousreply 213July 20, 2021 3:52 PM

I got my first vaccine shot today. And before you ask why I waited so long, it was literally the first available slot for my age group.

by Anonymousreply 214July 20, 2021 3:57 PM

R214 Are you 50?

by Anonymousreply 215July 20, 2021 4:09 PM

R215 No, I'm 34.

by Anonymousreply 216July 20, 2021 4:10 PM

Congratulations, R214 Have you scheduled the second shot?

by Anonymousreply 217July 20, 2021 4:33 PM

No masks recommended for the vaxxed, from CNN Fortunately, unlike 2020, we actually have a tool that stops the Delta variant in its tracks: It's called vaccine."

by Anonymousreply 218July 20, 2021 4:46 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219July 20, 2021 4:53 PM

Another fan of TheVoiceoftheNight from way back when, even before I was hatched here. Sorry you are going through this, but thank you so much for sharing what you know. It's truly invaluable.

Thanks also to the fabulous Lezzie-Lez-Lez for the mask recommendation and where to get them. Those are the first masks I've seen that look wearable/comfortable and priced well. So I grabbed 10.

I want to warn people off of anything from Amazon at this point. Their "quality" of goods to put it politely gets worse each month. I got some shaving cream last week, that I've always purchased from them before, that was clearly counterfeit. I mean...Shaving fucking cream?

by Anonymousreply 220July 20, 2021 4:54 PM

R217 Yes, 12 weeks from now. They increased the time between the first and second dose because we don't have enough doses available here in Norway. We stopped using AZ and J&J so we only use Pfizer and Moderna, and we aren't getting enough, sadly. According to the news they don't even know if they have enough to give people their second dose. They same some might have to get Moderna as their second dose, because we get more Moderna than Pizer in the upcoming months.

by Anonymousreply 221July 20, 2021 5:06 PM

Continue to be careful for those twelve (plus two) weeks because you are still vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 222July 20, 2021 5:09 PM

R222 Does that mean no anal?

by Anonymousreply 223July 20, 2021 5:35 PM

It's still unbelievable that Europe is having trouble vaccinating people, the US even with Trump did so much better, I just can't understand Europe's problem. It's like idiots are in charge there.

by Anonymousreply 224July 20, 2021 5:54 PM

R224 I blame our conservacunt government, they agreed to EU's vaccination deal. They refuse to disclose if they could have gotten a better deal outside the EU. Thankfully our conservacunt government which is up EU's ass (despite Norway not being part of the EU), will get the boot this fall after the election. Can't stand them. It's been 8 looooong years. 8 years of privatizing state own companies, including our rail, is enough. They gave tax cuts to the rich while everyone else have been suffering. Fucking cunts. I'm a social democrat and will gladly vote for Labour.

by Anonymousreply 225July 20, 2021 6:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226July 20, 2021 7:42 PM

Update to R128: The acquaintance's husband died a little over four hours ago, just before 12 noon Central.

by Anonymousreply 227July 20, 2021 8:55 PM

From the link at R226: "That's why cases are going up in some places with high vaccination rates"

Vaccinated people are catching the virus and spreading the virus.

It wasn't supposed to be this way.

by Anonymousreply 228July 20, 2021 9:14 PM

[quote]It wasn't supposed to be this way.

When the vaccine was first being rolled out, there was given the specific warning that the vaccinated could still catch it, carry it, and transmit it. Nobody made any secret of that. Hence the admonition to continue to wear masks. The only difference is that, if you've been vaccinated, Covid won't kill you. But it can still potentially kill the unvaccinated to whom one transmits it.

The decision to stop wearing masks was always a political one, not a medical one, both when the Trump Administration announced it, and when the Biden Administration announced it. Those paying attention to the facts about the disease and how it was transmitted knew better, and kept their masks on, especially in public indoor spaces.

by Anonymousreply 229July 20, 2021 9:43 PM

And though vaccinated people may not get very sick from the virus, they may still be left with long term effects.

by Anonymousreply 230July 20, 2021 9:55 PM

A paraphrase from a comment I heard today:

“We’ll all need to get used to getting colds again and for the vaccinated some of those colds will be COVID-19. “

If we continue to test for COVID-19 in the asymptomatic, barely symptomatic population there’ll be a lot of super annoying quarantining and nonsense for the idiot anti-vaxxers to point to further undermine vaccination rates amongst those with poor reasoning skills. If we say no testing unless you are really sick the ERs are overwhelmed again and the people who legitimately can’t get the vaccine for medical reasons are put at risk. It’s a conundrum.

by Anonymousreply 231July 20, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote]When the vaccine was first being rolled out, there was given the specific warning that the vaccinated could still catch it, carry it, and transmit it.

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 232July 20, 2021 10:07 PM

A few days ago the UK government's chief scientific adviser Patrick Vallance said that 60% of hospitalisations were double vaccinated people.

Oooops!

He later "corrected" himself and now says the number is 40%.

Still, that is very high.

It was not supposed to be this way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233July 20, 2021 10:16 PM

R229 doesn’t know what he/she is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 234July 20, 2021 10:18 PM

R232 you didn’t ask me, but here’s your link.

Control-F attenuating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235July 20, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote]R232: Link please.

[quote]R234: R229 doesn’t know what he/she is talking about.

R232/R234, kindly link where it was promised that anyone taking the Covid vaccine would not catch Covid. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 236July 20, 2021 10:27 PM

I just got over it. I had covid in Feb 2020. It was a very mild case didn't get it again even though I couldn't keep a mask on due to severe asthma. Got vaccinated in Feb and March 2021 and 3 and a half months after I got vaxxed with Moderna, I got it again. I had a nasty cough for about 9 days and my feet swelled up so much I could barely walk. finally, the cough is gone and my feet are not swollen anymore. Delta is bad news. Fortunately, it was not life-threatening.

by Anonymousreply 237July 20, 2021 10:29 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238July 20, 2021 10:30 PM

R225 you know perfectly well that Norway isn't even part of the EU - stop blaming the EU if your conservacuntist government is too dumb to get vaccines.

Here in Austria (EU country!) we've got plenty of vaccines, even more vaccines than currently needed at this point since too many people here are sheer idiots refusing to get vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 239July 20, 2021 10:42 PM

*just because, not if

by Anonymousreply 240July 20, 2021 10:44 PM

[quote] He later "corrected" himself and now says the number is 40%. Still, that is very high.

How many of those fully vaxed with breakthrough got the AstraZeneca jab, which we’ve known is less effective than Pfizer and Moderna from the beginning? I wish there were consistent, honest, and reliable data, but it seems most of the data lately is presented with an agenda.

BoJo fucked this up from the jump with his ludicrous “herd immunity” quest. I still remember picking my jaw up off the floor when I watched him on live TV say, “Some of you will unfortunately die, which will be very sad of course…”. WTF? I don’t understand how Brits still have any confidence in him. Nicola handled it way better.

by Anonymousreply 241July 21, 2021 12:58 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242July 21, 2021 2:16 AM

[quote] BoJo fucked this up from the jump with his ludicrous “herd immunity” quest. I still remember picking my jaw up off the floor when I watched him on live TV say, “Some of you will unfortunately die, which will be very sad of course…”. WTF? I don’t understand how Brits still have any confidence in him.

When he was gasping for breath, hospitalized with Covid, wonder if he had any cognizance of the words he uttered relating to “herd immunity”? Or that he could have been one involved in “thinning the herd”?

BoJo does not strike me as an individual with much self-awareness, so likely not.

He comes across as a dithering dolt.

As with other countries (ahem, Trump; Scotty from Marketing; Putin; Bolsanaro, etc.) the world seems to have a fascination with entitled, egocentric idiots in “leadership” positions.

by Anonymousreply 243July 21, 2021 2:57 AM

The Olympic variant will wipe us all out, vaxxed or not.

by Anonymousreply 244July 21, 2021 12:00 PM

R233 The UK chose the less effective AZ. Maybe that's the issue. We knew Pfizer was more effective. I assume that's the case for the different mutations too. AZ is simply not that effective against Delta. Also, the different vaccine producers are saing they will tweak the vaccines, so they'll be more effective against the mutations. Remember, the vaccines were developed before the mutations. Many people will likely need a third booster shot. And that's ok. Still better than getting covid.

by Anonymousreply 245July 21, 2021 12:32 PM

R239 Did you even read what I posted? I did blame our conservacunt government. They made a mistake going for the EU deal, which in hindsight turned out to be a bad deal. Even the New York Times criticized the EU for the slow vaccine rollout.

by Anonymousreply 246July 21, 2021 12:36 PM

There's something about seeing people posting photos about going to big events, even outdoors ones, that's making me homicidal. I mean, I can't fault anyone for going to Pride, because at that point, it really did seem like we were always there, but now people are posting pictures at big gay events. Even my gay doctor friends are talking about Guernesville, P-Town, Fire Island, and the pool parties in San Diego. And I'm not even the only fully vaxxed person who's gotten sick.

I have hardly been perfect, but this is never going to stop if we can't keep it in our pants a bit longer.

It's a shame MichFest is finished. If anyone could successfully navigate an event during a pandemic, it's the sisterwomyn.

by Anonymousreply 247July 21, 2021 1:28 PM

*almost there

by Anonymousreply 248July 21, 2021 1:31 PM

I'm very discouraged. Just looks like an endless cycle of getting vaccinated against new mutated variants. Endless lockdowns due to unvaxed morons. Wash ,Rinse, Repeat .I think nature will outwit us with this virus. Time to cull the human overpopulation pestilence. Keep in mind the Bubonic Plague killed millions for 300 years.

by Anonymousreply 249July 21, 2021 1:59 PM

J&J recipient looking forward to a mRna booster...

by Anonymousreply 250July 21, 2021 2:09 PM

I got my first jab yesterday. Today I feel sick. If covid doesn't make you sick, the vaccine will. Still, I'd rather get sick for a few days from the vaccine than catch covid. I will probably catch it eventually, but by then I'll hopefully be fully vaxxed and only experience mild symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 251July 21, 2021 2:18 PM

R247 Same. With an extra helping of homicidal from my employer's posturing that there will be absolutely NO hybrid classes this fall. Stated policy is "Everything WILL be normal, goddamnit! Lalalalalalalaaalalaa"

by Anonymousreply 252July 21, 2021 2:49 PM

Op , thank you for sharing. I had moderna and my second shot nearly killed . It started with flu like symptoms them progressed to projectile vomiting and dehydration . My puking was so sever I ruptured. I was lucky to make it to the hospital.

Even after, I am still so grateful to be vaccinated. This disease is a killer.

And I adore you Silvia.

by Anonymousreply 253July 21, 2021 2:59 PM

[quote] My puking was so sever I ruptured.

So sever you severed?

by Anonymousreply 254July 21, 2021 3:24 PM

[quote] If covid doesn't make you sick, the vaccine will.

Yeah, no.

by Anonymousreply 255July 21, 2021 3:25 PM

Sorry to parade on various posters rain, but I think there are going to be fabulous vaccines approved in 2022. Get what can be gotten now vaccine wise, engage in reasonable risk reduction and send mental well wishes to the researchers.

(Sylvia I still think your boss is a big meanie and short sighted to boot. Forcing people who can and want to work from home into the office is only a good plan if your staff are overpaid and don’t have specialized skills.)

VOTN, any unexpected Netflix finds?

by Anonymousreply 256July 21, 2021 9:37 PM

Since they have so many vaccines that half the population don't want, I wonder if they will allow the people with lower immunity to get a 3rd booster shot. I have some health problems that may make the vaccine less effective for me, I wouldn't mind a third shot if it can give me some peace of mind.

by Anonymousreply 257July 21, 2021 9:44 PM

Why should vaccinated people wear masks? UCSF expert gives his take.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258July 21, 2021 10:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259July 21, 2021 11:43 PM

Yes, R259, we've established that deaths from breakthrough Covid are few and far between, thank you. However, we've also established that it's not simply "Death or nothing."

by Anonymousreply 260July 21, 2021 11:50 PM

Hey VoTN - I used to chat with you about the horrors of medical school and residency.

Hope you went into rad, derm, or opthomology. Only decent specialties. Otherwise medicine sucks as a career.

by Anonymousreply 261July 22, 2021 12:19 AM

[quote]Hope you went into rad, derm, or opthomology. Only decent specialties. Otherwise medicine sucks as a career.

Not a ROAD kind of guy. But I like where I ended up.

[quote]VOTN, any unexpected Netflix finds?

I actually fell down a YouTube rabbit hole and found this channel, which has all kinds of weird retrofuturist and public domain things. One of their subchannels, called Sleepcore, completely recreates my experiences as an insomniac in college, flipping through weird stuff on late-90s cable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262July 22, 2021 12:59 AM

I went to Vegas with a radiologist friend, for a conference with other radiologists. Holy shit, they were a fun group of drunks and coke heads.

by Anonymousreply 263July 22, 2021 1:10 AM

Yes radiologists have great schedules, 9-5, and they make good money.

I took a radiology course in my 4th year as I knew it would be an easy ride.

When I was a resident at UCLA, a peds resident misread a XRY and threaded a feeding tube into a kid’s lung. Kid died. The family didn’t want money - they said there should be radiology residents on call to prevent these tragedies.

So now at major medical centers, rads have to take call.

by Anonymousreply 264July 22, 2021 1:16 AM

OTOH, with modern tech and those $50K computer monitors, most of rads call can be done from home in one's underwear.

by Anonymousreply 265July 22, 2021 1:19 AM

VotN, I've been reading and appreciating your comments for, iirc, over a decade now, and am truly glad you're well. Thank you for posting to share your Covid experiences and helping to see that we stay well.

by Anonymousreply 266July 22, 2021 1:54 AM

Question for the medical peeps on here- I got the J&J vax back in March (no side effects at all) but I’m getting nervous with the new Covid variants that are popping up…would there be any harm in starting over with one of the other 2-shot mRNA vax’s? What do you all think?

by Anonymousreply 267July 22, 2021 3:08 AM

Found out that someone at a work event last Monday tested positive. Took a test yesterday and it came back negative. Will take another one next Tuesday

by Anonymousreply 268July 22, 2021 3:17 AM

I'm feeling depressed this week. Sometimes this all feels endless. MARY! I know, I am being a drama queen. It's just a fucking mask. I just don't have a good gut feeling.

by Anonymousreply 269July 22, 2021 5:51 AM

I understand, R269. I feel similarly. I know it won't last forever, but I'm just frustrated at the number of people who still won't get vaxxed. What more has to happen to convince them?

by Anonymousreply 270July 22, 2021 5:56 AM

R261, he's like a chiropractor.

by Anonymousreply 271July 22, 2021 6:17 AM

[quote]most of rads call can be done from home in one's underwear

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 272July 22, 2021 8:15 AM

R250 Are you worried about gorilla syndrome from JOhnsen x JAhnsen?

by Anonymousreply 273July 22, 2021 9:44 AM

.,.!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274July 22, 2021 9:46 AM

[quote]Time to cull the human overpopulation pestilence.

What exactly is the difference between Matt screaming "Kill them all!" in a thread and people like this guy always saying that millions or billions of humans should die? This isn't the way normal people talk or behave.

by Anonymousreply 275July 22, 2021 10:05 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276July 22, 2021 10:05 AM

[quote][R261], he's like a chiropractor.

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 277July 22, 2021 11:59 AM

R275 Agreed, and this seems an appropriate place to note that UK prime minister Boris Johnson actually said, “Let the bodies be piled high.”

by Anonymousreply 278July 22, 2021 7:55 PM

Yeah, but it sounds much nicer with a British accent.

by Anonymousreply 279July 22, 2021 8:25 PM

R279 True, even Caligula sounded nicer with a British accent when portrayed by John Hurt in "I, Claudius" (ancient gay reference).

by Anonymousreply 280July 23, 2021 5:43 AM

Back to work. Mostly hiding in my office today. Thankfully, my schedule is fairly light.

by Anonymousreply 281July 23, 2021 12:02 PM

R281 cube or office with door?

by Anonymousreply 282July 23, 2021 12:36 PM

What are the symptoms of Delta in the vaccinated population? I can't tell if I have mild Delta or Hypochondriac Delta.

by Anonymousreply 283July 28, 2021 10:56 PM

In vaccinated people, there are no symptoms, just a viral load that could take out a small Third World country, like Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Florida...

The vaccines do not kill the virus, but give it safe harbor to replicate.

Add this to the fact that Delta has the farthest distance for transmission, and you have what we have.

by Anonymousreply 284July 28, 2021 11:19 PM

R284 The next big breakthrough may be a vaccine and/or antiviral compound that provides sterilizing immunity, i.e., prevents the virus from replicating in humans. The treatment might be given intranasally to prevent viral replication in the nose, which is a major reservoir.

by Anonymousreply 285July 29, 2021 2:44 AM

R285 Yeah. Sure. And I’m sure it will be as successful as these current vaccines.🙄

by Anonymousreply 286July 29, 2021 2:47 AM

Intranaly?

by Anonymousreply 287July 29, 2021 4:23 AM

R287 Perhaps you jest, but infectious SARS-CoV-2 virus has been isolated from the feces of 35% of COVID-19 patients in a series of research studies. So keep your nose AND your ass clean!

by Anonymousreply 288July 29, 2021 4:54 AM

VOTN - sorry you got Covid again. I've seen your posts and it sucks because it seems like you've done everything right.

Off topic, but since your a doctor, and I'm bored, when you went to medical school, did you actually have to take that dead people class? And if so was it like scary or weird for you? I've always admired doctors and could not see myself being one. TIA

by Anonymousreply 289July 29, 2021 5:06 AM

“If anyone could successfully navigate an event during a pandemic, it's the sisterwomyn.”

As a fat womyn, would I be useful on corpse detail?

by Anonymousreply 290July 29, 2021 6:20 AM

I don't even want to imagine what the vagina cape maker would have done with her specially created face mask.

by Anonymousreply 291July 29, 2021 6:29 AM

[quote] Add this to the fact that Delta has the farthest distance for transmission, and you have what we have.

Yeah, we’ll take epidemiological advice from someone who doesn’t know the difference between farther and further.

[quote] Off topic, but since your a doctor, and I'm bored,

If you’re bored, read a grammar book.

by Anonymousreply 292July 29, 2021 12:54 PM

RIP, OP. Happy cunting.

by Anonymousreply 293July 29, 2021 12:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!