Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Apple’s Hit Series Ted Lasso Breaks Glee’s Record for Freshman Comedy Emmy Noms

[QUOTE] In Ted Lasso, which Sudeikis co-created, the actor stars as a warmhearted U.S. football coach who heads to the UK to manage a London soccer team, despite his limited understanding and experience of the sport.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 13, 2022 3:11 PM

It’s a terrific show.

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2021 7:07 PM

R1 is right... we were simply blown away by it.

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2021 7:08 PM

I’ve had a free year of Apple TV Plus for months now and never bothered to watch a single thing on there, but I’ll give Lasso a try.

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2021 7:09 PM

It really is, R1. Ted's optimism and the way it uplifts other characters is so refreshing in a sea of dark and cynical entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2021 7:09 PM

NOW you tell us!

by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2021 7:11 PM

Has Lea Michele shit in any wigs this morning?

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2021 7:15 PM

It's a great show. Brett Goldstein is hot, and even hotter when he bares his hairy chest in the locker room.

by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2021 8:48 PM

I thought DL said Apple TV Plus was dead on arrival?

by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2021 8:48 PM

Has Hannah Waddingham been nominated, too? She's amazing as Lasso's frenemy turned ally at the end.

by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2021 8:50 PM

Yes, she was, R9, along with Juno, her co-star.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2021 8:52 PM

I think every cast member on the show was nominated.

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2021 8:56 PM

"Glee" was a comedy?

by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2021 9:00 PM

Does that mean the cunt wife/girlfriend is begging to be taken back ?

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2021 10:47 PM

It's not that great but what it does have going for it that it doesn't have a crime/mob/drug trafficking/murder mystery theme like practically every other new show. Ted is far too left to be a convincing yokel from the good ol' U.S of A.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2021 10:52 PM

Just caught up on the first show of Season 2

This is such a great show, too bad most DLers seem to be avoiding it because of the sports theme.

Lots of hot guys too- Brett Goldstein and Phil Dunham stand out

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2021 9:44 PM

There’s probably very few DLers with Apple TV Plus.

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2021 9:47 PM

Pretty much everyone who had apple+ got it free with the purchase of a phone or iPad. I tried shows at the beginning and then forgot about the service until Ted Lasso kept showing up on the ‘best shows you’re not watching” lists. It’s based on a series of ads run during sporting events, so why would I have started watching it?

The shows on those lists are always worth watching at least one episode to see if you like it. And I don’t think any of their other shows are on anyone’s list

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2021 10:33 PM

OK what's the deal with this show? I have ZERO interest in sports, my straight brother got the sports gene, I got the Show Biz genes...SURPRISE right? I hear nothing but wonderful things but people like shows about sports. The closet I ever got to a baseball game is watching "A League Of Their Own". How much focuses on sports? Curious minds want to know.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2021 3:38 PM

This show has been promoted so fucking much and had so many commercials it’s ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2021 3:42 PM

Season one was great R18, think humans, not sports.

Season two....not terrible.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2021 3:42 PM

It's a cute show. It's a little thing but I always chuckle when the fans start signing Jamie Tartt's name to the "Baby Shark" song.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2021 3:43 PM

You are all free to attack me, but I don't get what is so great about this show. It's not witty, it's predictable and it's built around one "fish out of water" premise that gets old pretty quickly. And I say this even though I love all of the actors in the show.

This is one of those shows that only escapes being a total trainwreck due to the talent of its actors.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2021 3:46 PM

R21, singing, not signing. Le sigh with a lack of edit feature on DL.

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2021 3:48 PM

[quote]You are all free to attack me, but I don't get what is so great about this show. It's not witty, it's predictable and it's built around one "fish out of water" premise that gets old pretty quickly. And I say this even though I love all of the actors in the show.

It’s not just you - I don’t get it either. It’s lowest common denominator humor, with even tired skid marks in underwear “jokes.”🙄 I guess people are just easily amused these days.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2021 4:47 PM

[QUOTE] You are all free to attack me

Good. FUCK YOU, R22!

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2021 5:45 PM

You know how every single character in The White Lotus was unlikeable? For me, this is the opposite. Every single character (except maybe Jamie) you want to root for. It’s a nice change of pace and a bit refreshing. Do I want every show to be this upbeat? No. Is it a nice escape from modern problems. Yes. The Christmas episode - I mean, nothing special or new or unique about it. It’s all been done before. But somehow it worked and it just made me so happy. I don’t know why. But it did. Hard to explain.

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2021 4:28 PM

[quote]t’s a nice change of pace and a bit refreshing. D

Like Jr. Mints!

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2021 4:48 PM

R24, the show is not about a "fish out of water" in the sense of Ted being the American "yokel" in Britain. It is too clear from the start that under his optimism and kindness he's very smart, and that those characteristics are choices.

It IS, however, a "fish out of water" story in the sense of Ted being virtually alone in the world in offering up openness, kindness and optimism to be the first things you notice about him. It's a story about how the world could be better if we'd all "do better", to use one of his coaching terms.

I observe that going into the pandemic the "must see" thing was Tiger King, which was a show that invited us to look down on horrible people doing horrible things. In the middle, the "must see" was The Queen's Gambit. Coming out of it, the "must see" is the totally uplifting Ted Lasso. Although there were lots of popular shows during the illnesses and lockdowns, none stood out as world sweeping fads but these three. My question is - has the pandemic changed the way we want to look at the world, and if so, will it stick after we're free?

by Anonymousreply 28September 12, 2021 3:38 PM

I just caught up this weekend. I am oddly attracted to Roy Kent.

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2021 2:25 AM

Now I am waiting for season 2 of The Morning Show. I was skeptical about it but I really enjoyed that too, even Reese's bad wigs.

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2021 2:26 AM

Lasso continues racking up the awards, winning the TV Critics Association Program of the Year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2021 7:29 PM

Well they snagged the big boys, including the first streaming show ever to win Outstanding Comedy Series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2021 1:03 PM

Ted Lasso is not all that, believe me.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2021 1:05 PM

Too bad I fucking hate football, so will never watch it.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2021 1:09 PM

Your loss r34

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2021 1:24 PM

I won’t watch because I heard there’s no gay characters.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2021 1:32 PM

I cried my eyes out

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2021 1:33 PM

[QUOTE] Too bad I fucking hate football, so will never watch it.

It’s about soccer, R34, not football.

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2021 1:50 PM

Soccer IS football, R38.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2021 1:52 PM

It's not about soccer. There is very little actual football played in it, and even less that isn't in the background of a conversation. It is about someone who is able to make EVERYONE he meets do better at life, not just his team at some stupid game. I think watching any sport is equivalent to watching paint dry, and I loved Ted Lasso.

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2021 1:58 PM

[quote]It is about someone who is able to make EVERYONE he meets do better at life, not just his team at some stupid game.

That was what the first season was about, but I’m not sure the second has been about anything.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2021 3:19 PM

'That was what the first season was about, but I’m not sure the second has been about anything."

I totally disagree. If anything I think the show has only gotten deeper and the characters more rich. You realize that Ted and his happy go lucky attitude is a mask for something deeper. Ive really enjoyed this season.

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2021 3:34 PM

Ted Lasso is Huckleberry Hound.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2021 4:53 PM

I love the new therapist character and I hope they delve into her too.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2021 5:25 PM

R38 No, it's about football.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2021 6:19 PM

They need a gay player.

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2021 6:37 PM

^ Oh, he's coming alright given the topics they've taken on. But I bet they want to stay as close to reality as possible given there is still no out gay player in top-flight football.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2021 6:49 PM

No, R39, “fútbol is life”

😬😬

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2021 6:54 PM

[quote]I thought DL said Apple TV Plus was dead on arrival?

DL saying that about a company is always a good sign to buy their stock.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2021 6:54 PM

[QUOTE] It's not about soccer. There is very little actual football played in it, and even less that isn't in the background of a conversation.

If I was in charge of the show, soccer would be involved, alright. As in a closeted romance between two star players, featuring several long love scenes of passionate, sweaty muscle entanglement.

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2021 7:12 PM

So is it like Friday Night Lights ,where you don't have to like or know sports to enjoy?

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2021 7:17 PM

[quote]So is it like Friday Night Lights ,where you don't have to like or know sports to enjoy?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2021 7:23 PM

The Ted character was apparently created for NBC Sports ... can you think of other cases where a "character" from another situation became a series? The GEICO cavemen or Max Headroom possibly?

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2021 7:27 PM

I had always thought Max Headroom was derived from a commercial, but it wasn't. It was originally a British music series, and the character was then put in ads, then the U.S developed a series.

"While Max would serve as the spokesman for Coca-Cola, the show itself was based on the British telefilm"

The article points out Jim Varney's Ernest character developing from ads, the Geico Cavemen and Baby Bob - which I completely forgot about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2021 7:53 PM

It’s a great show, and Brett Goldstein is up there as one of the hottest. He’s shirtless in many scenes.

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2021 8:52 PM

Thank you, R52. I will check it out. Sports aren't my thing, so I avoided it on site. Same with FNL, and I ended up loving that.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2021 10:54 PM

[quote] This is such a great show, too bad most DLers seem to be avoiding it because of the sports theme.

I'm avoiding it because I hate Jason Sudeikis but I am open to torrenting it. The last time I checked out a DL recommendation it was Schitt's Creek, which is unwatachable syrupy crap.

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2021 10:56 PM

r57 I have always thought Sudeikis was a smug jerk but when he becomes Ted Lasso when he is that character. I don't like sports but I enjoy this show.

by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2021 1:46 AM

[quote] I just caught up this weekend. I am oddly attracted to Roy Kent.

Oi bitch, stand in line!

We've been talking about his furry ass over at the main thread for ages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 21, 2021 1:50 AM

Thanks r59 from r29

by Anonymousreply 60September 21, 2021 1:52 AM

R57 I agree Schitt's Creek just wasn't funny. Ted Lasso is not meant to be hilarious, but it is funny and heartwarming without sentimentality. And it's really constructive.

R41, I think Season 2 is a deeper dive into dealing with failure and, worse, your own failings by still applying the rules of kindness, respect and optimism. The episode that just aired, about Beard's dark night of the soul, was like a tiny Divine Comedy. What happened to the three whiny fans at the end of it was sublime, and that gesture was Beard's gateway to heaven.

by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2021 9:11 AM

Ok, r61. I have torrented it and I will check it out on your recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 62September 24, 2021 2:01 AM

I tried a couple of episodes but it is too saccharine sweet and Jason Sudeikis' accent is terrible. I can see the story is structured and paced well but it's just not believable. No coach at the D-2 or higher is "nice."

by Anonymousreply 63September 25, 2021 1:50 AM

r63 probably why he loses, he doesn't have the killer instinct. I do enjoy the show even though I do find it a bit far fetched.

by Anonymousreply 64September 25, 2021 1:52 AM

Interesting, r64. Thinking about it, Coach Taylor on FNL was nice but he was dealing with kids and he was really driven to win. If he lost then he would have to uproot his family again, so there were actual stakes that mattered to him even if he was under it all a nice guy. But as a rule coaches are assholes. There's just too much money involved for it to be otherwise. I will say it's a decent show that's family friendly and it did make me hate Jason Sudeikis a little bit less. I'm going to go watch Judgment at Nuremburg instead.

by Anonymousreply 65September 25, 2021 1:58 AM

r65 Coach on FNL was better eye candy. I don't even watch sports but I loved FNL. I am watching the final season of Goliath, it came out today on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 66September 25, 2021 2:00 AM

You're all looking at it through the prism of football, which is only a metaphor in the show. It's about what happens to people when someone persistently attends to and is kind to them.

Believe it or not, Russell Crowe tried a similar thing when he took over ownership of South Sydney football club, which had already been "relegated". He did heaps of stuff to build up the self esteem and cohesion of the players (many of whom were Indigenous and from low socioeconomic backgrounds), steeped them in the history of the club. Before games with scary teams he would tell them stories of the plays Souths had used to beat that team in the past. It took three or four years, but they got back in the premier league and dammit if they didn't end up winning the Cup.

by Anonymousreply 67September 26, 2021 3:38 AM

Lasso gets the extremely rare back to back Best Comedy win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 13, 2022 3:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!