Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Scorching Hot Summers Could Last for Six Months By the End of the Century

[QUOTE]Climate change is making summers hotter and longer, while shrinking other seasons. Winters have gone from 76 to 73 days with spring and fall similarly contracting. Meanwhile summer has grown from 78 to 95 days since 1952.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 5, 2023 2:17 PM

Fortunately, I will be dead by then. I fucking hate summer. It is 99 degrees out today.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2021 8:52 PM

So glad to be child free and not leaving them and their children to deal with this shit.

Human beings suck.

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2021 8:58 PM

80 degrees with a light breeze. I guess I will take the convertible to dinner tonight.

Glad to old and child free too.

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2021 9:05 PM

Plan on being around to see it, OP?

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2021 9:06 PM

It's 57 degrees in Anchorage right now. I want to go to there.

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2021 9:07 PM

This planet will become a fucking literal HELL.

And we'll all be burning in it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2021 9:34 PM

^^We'll be long dead, and burning in our own DL Hell^^

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2021 10:18 PM

It won’t take 80 years to feel like hell, R7. Same goes for R4. Things will get progressively worse between now and then. 20 years from now will make this summer feel like a nice cool breeze.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2021 10:35 PM

As someone who is immortal,I'm sorta dreading the future.

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2021 10:48 PM

What’s happening in New York City right now with the flooded subway stations is frightening.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2021 11:37 PM

Really? One subway station’s pumps fail and it floods in a major rain and that’s frightening to you?

You don’t live here, do you?

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2021 11:39 PM

As outlandish as the killer heat wave that struck the Pacific Northwest was, it fits into a decades-long pattern of uneven summer warming across the United States.

The West is getting roasted by hotter summer days while the East Coast is getting swamped by hotter and stickier summer nights, an analysis of decades of U.S. summer weather data by The Associated Press shows.

State-by-state average temperature trends from 1990 to 2020 show America’s summer swelter is increasing more in some of the places that just got baked with extreme heat over the past week: California, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Oregon and Colorado.

The West is the fastest-warming region in the country during June, July and August, up 3 degrees on average since 1990. The Northwest has warmed nearly twice as much in the past 30 years as it has in the Southeast.

That includes Portland, Oregon which set a record 116-degree high that was 3 degrees warmer than temperatures ever recorded in Oklahoma City or Dallas-Fort Worth.

Although much of the primary cause of the past week’s extreme heat was an unusual but natural weather condition, scientists see the fingerprint of human-caused climate change, citing altered weather patterns that park heat in different places for longer periods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 10, 2021 11:42 AM

How to Survive Hell On Earth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 10, 2021 8:29 PM

What if they found a way to “paint” the now ice-free zones in the Arctic in a way to make it reflect the sun’s rays instead of absorbing them, which is one of the reasons that the temperatures are higher?

by Anonymousreply 14July 11, 2021 4:10 PM

I don’t think that’s feasible, R14.

by Anonymousreply 15July 11, 2021 10:25 PM

We need to focush on a feashible sholushion!

by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2021 10:30 PM

[quote]The West is the fastest-warming region in the country during June, July and August, up 3 degrees on average since 1990.

Luckily, the American West is where all the water is...oh, wait. Hope they all like living in a real desert. Not the cushy desert where things like sprinklers and air conditioning exist because, between the drought, fires, and overburdened electrical systems, they won't have sprinklers, AC, or, ya know, water of any kind. The migration to the south and west is going to reverse as people head back to the northeast and midwest.

by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2021 10:57 PM

R14= Rep. Louie Gohmert (R), TX

by Anonymousreply 18July 11, 2021 11:01 PM

[quote]The West is getting roasted by hotter summer days while the East Coast is getting swamped by hotter and stickier summer nights

So lots of opportunity for schadenfreude in the rest of the country.

by Anonymousreply 19July 11, 2021 11:01 PM

And desalination is not as practical as hoped either. Too expensive and you waste water trying to make water!

by Anonymousreply 20July 11, 2021 11:10 PM

That's all we need to do, R20, suck the ocean's dry.

by Anonymousreply 21July 11, 2021 11:13 PM

r14 I think giant satellites with mirrors to reflect the sun would do the trick

by Anonymousreply 22July 11, 2021 11:17 PM

How’s that work r22? How many would we need, I wonder?

by Anonymousreply 23July 11, 2021 11:20 PM

[QUOTE]This final option, of geoengineering, is not without risk. Most of the solutions involve altering Earth’s surface or atmosphere further, with largely unknown, unpredictable consequences. Of all the geoengineering options, however, the least risky is the one put forth by Tony: to fly something in space, far from Earth, to simply block a portion of the Sun’s light. With less solar irradiance, the temperatures can be controlled, even if the atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations continue to rise. If we wanted to completely counteract the effects of all the global warming that has happened since the industrial revolution, we’d have to block out approximately 2% of the Sun’s light on a continuous basis.

[QUOTE] But this is easier, at least theoretically, than you might intuit. There’s a gravitationally quasi-stable point, in between the Earth and the Sun, which will always effectively dim the light from the Sun. Known as the L1 Lagrange point, it’s the ideal location for a satellite that you wish to remain directly between the Earth and the Sun. As the Earth orbits the Sun, an object at L1 will constantly remain in between the Earth and Sun, never straying at any point throughout the year. Its physical location is in interplanetary space: approximately 1,500,000 kilometers closer to the Sun than the Earth is.

[QUOTE] At that distance, even an Earth-sized object wouldn’t cast a shadow on our planet, as its shadow-cone would come to an end well before it reached our world. But a single shade, or a series of smaller shades, would effectively block enough light to reduce the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth. To achieve the reduction we’d want to counteract global warming, i.e., to reduce the received solar irradiance by 2%, we’d need to cover a surface area of 4.5 million square kilometers at the L1 Lagrange point. That’s the equivalent of an object that takes up half the surface area of the Moon. But unlike the Moon, we could divide that up into as many smaller components as necessary.

[QUOTE] One proposal, put forth by University of Arizona astronomer Rogel Angel, propsed flying a constellation of small spacecrafts at the L1 Lagrange point. Instead of a large, heavy structure, an array of approximately 16 trillion structures, each one a thin circle about 30 centimeters (one foot) in radius, could block enough light to provide us with exactly the reduction of irradiance that we require. It wouldn’t create a shadow anywhere on Earth, but would rather reduce the total amount of sunlight striking the entire surface of our planet by an even amount, similar to an enormous array of tiny sunspots placed on the surface of the Sun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 11, 2021 11:28 PM

[QUOTE] In principle, this sounds like an easy strategy, and potentially a low-risk, high-reward solution to our global warming problem. But there are two problems with it.

[QUOTE] 1.) Launch costs. To send any object to the L1 Lagrange point is well within the scope of what humanity’s spaceflight program is capable of. We’ve done it numerous times: it’s where the majority of our Sun-observing satellite missions go. But even for a series of very thin, very light spacecrafts, the launch costs would be tremendous. If Angel’s proposal of a transparent, thin film were flown, with each flyer only 1/5000th of an inch thick and weighing no more than a gram, the total mass required would still add up to 20 million metric tonnes. Even if next-generation launch technologies like the Falcon Heavy can get costs down to under $1000-per-pound (a factor of 10 improvement over what they presently are), we’re still looking at hundreds of billions of dollars to launch an array like this. And that’s not even getting to the second problem.

[QUOTE] 2.) Orbital stability. The L1 Lagrange point is only quasi-stable, meaning that either everything we launch there needs to be maintained (with rocket boosts) in order to remain in its current orbit, or it will eventually drift away, ceasing to block the sunlight from reaching Earth. This happens, unfortunately, way too quickly for our comfort: on the timescales of years-to-decades, depending on how well the initial orbital insertion works. This means, for the light-blocking approach, we’d need to have an ongoing cost hovering in the tens of billions of dollars per year just for maintenance launches alone: comparable to NASA’s entire annual budget. And that’s if the launch costs are lowered by the factor of 10 over what they are today.

[QUOTE] The big advantage of blocking the incoming sunlight from afar is that there’s no risk of long-term negative effects on planet Earth from geoengineering solutions. Other ideas, such as large-scale modification of the atmosphere, a constellation of satellites in low-Earth orbit, or the injection of cloud-forming materials or reflective particulates into the skies or oceans, have potentially hazardous unforeseen consequences. But the big problems of costs and long-term instability, right now, are the largest barriers to implementing such a solution.

by Anonymousreply 25July 11, 2021 11:30 PM

At this point, I’m willing to do anything to save the planet. I shudder every time I see a glacier break up on television or see once full and fertile lakes and rivers drying out all over the world. I’ve also read that there is a possible link between climate change and pandemics. Certain microbes cannot survive at lower temperatures. But now they are thriving because of the heat.

by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2021 11:37 PM

R24, that shit is the start of about 100 sci-fi disaster movies! "And then it all went wrong..."

by Anonymousreply 27July 12, 2021 1:27 AM

Well there’s always colonizing another planet and moving everyone there.

by Anonymousreply 28July 12, 2021 1:44 AM

R28, why do you think all the billionaire's are so busy going to space all of a sudden?

by Anonymousreply 29July 12, 2021 4:41 AM

I hear you, R29.

by Anonymousreply 30July 12, 2021 11:25 AM

R29 & r30, they must know something that we don’t…like in that preposterous film [italic]2012[/italic]!

by Anonymousreply 31July 12, 2021 11:55 AM

[quote] I think giant satellites with mirrors to reflect the sun would do the trick

I can donate an old compact if that’ll help.

by Anonymousreply 32July 12, 2021 12:25 PM

Barely 21 degrees here in Norway today. That is 70 degrees for you Americans. This summer has actually been colder than normal so far. Then again, it's better than last year. I remember we had a few days of 12 degrees in July... yikes. That was bad. At least this year when it's been cold it's still been like 17-19 degrees.

by Anonymousreply 33July 12, 2021 12:34 PM

Well, most of us won't be here for that shit and it may he worse given the lunatic right's denial of global warming. My parents are housebound or in the car all the time in LA these days and my poor sister got heat exhaustion just because she wanted to take a walk outside a bit (hat, water, slow pace, etc.) didn't help. I am essentially melting in 88 degrees (with a "real feel" of 94) in Transylvania where it's supposed to be cooler. Is the Bulgarian guy around? Is it hot there too?

by Anonymousreply 34July 12, 2021 12:46 PM

Northern Europe will become the new Mediterranean.

by Anonymousreply 35July 12, 2021 12:51 PM

[quote] At this point, I’m willing to do anything to save the planet.

I know what you meant to convey by this r26.

May I respectfully and gently remind you, and, if there one thing I've learned by watching NOVA on PBS, it is that Earth was many billions of years old before we evolved.

But, It's just like us hubristic humans to think we can destroy the planet. Don't get me wrong. Climate change deniers are right up there with flat-earthers. Anybody who denies the science and facts of climate change is deliberately avoiding the facts or they ain't playing with a full deck.

I know George Carlin gets mixed reviews here but he was right when he observed, "When Earth has had a belly-full of us, she'll shake us off like a bad case of the fleas."

The point is that us humans won't and can't save ourselves. Earth doesn't need saving by us.

And then, after we've completely circled out own self-built drain consisting not of water, of course, but of dry tepid air, Earth will "shake us off", heal, and recover from the little injury we've inflicted on it and go on for many more billions of years without us.

Good. We've had a very mixed run.

by Anonymousreply 36July 12, 2021 12:55 PM

I know that climate change is serious, but the continual alarmist stories is the media do not move me.

by Anonymousreply 37July 12, 2021 12:55 PM

I wish I chose a better headline. People see “end of the century” and think “I don’t have anything to worry about since I’ll be dead.”

Again, it’s not going to suddenly happen in the year 2100. Summers will become longer and more brutal with every year that passes in the meantime.

And 2100 isn’t even that far away.

by Anonymousreply 38July 12, 2021 12:59 PM

90% of the people on DL will be dead by 2100. This tells me not to live in the sun belt and make sure I have AC. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 39July 12, 2021 1:10 PM

R35 good thing they installed AC at Windsor Castle. Could you imagine what Queen Cate’s hair would look like boiling in there under a hot Summer? Governments in these countries need to encourage residents to get air conditioning now. Same in the American North West. It’s 2021, stop loving like it’s the Victorian Era and protect yourself from the climate.

by Anonymousreply 40July 12, 2021 1:12 PM

Yeah, R39. But unfortunately, FREON from air conditioners chews up the ozone and is responsible for a good amount of climate change. In the 1960s and 70s, we didn't have air in my house (NYC suburbs), and didn't care about the one week of heat wave in July of every year. This week we'll be in heat wave #4, and I'll use my air conditioner during it, sparingly on other days.

But think of the change since the 1980s - ALL cars have air conditioning, at least 75% of all houses and apt buildings have air conditioning. Think of all that Freon being spewed into the atmosphere. No matter what we do, this will not change. I'll probably live another 20 years or less so it won't affect me much...but really.

by Anonymousreply 41July 12, 2021 1:13 PM

I blame Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 42July 12, 2021 1:27 PM

[QUOTE] I'll probably live another 20 years or less so it won't affect me much...but really.

I’m sure you have loved ones who will be affected, R41. Nieces and nephews. Children or grandchildren perhaps. Young cousins. They’re the ones who will have to deal with this havoc.

And summers will be increasingly worse by the time you do kick the bucket. It may not be 2100 bad, but we’ll be getting there and you’ll feel it.

by Anonymousreply 43July 12, 2021 1:30 PM

I’m not r41 but I have no children and honestly don’t care Mitch for other people’s kids. Honestly, this isn’t an individual’s problem to fix. It will take a joint effort and new laws. I don’t go out of my way to waste but I’m not going to lose sleep over something out of my control.

It’s like world hunger. I can sponsor some families but that’s not going to save the world or do much compared to government action. With climate I could reduce all of my emissions and it won’t do shit to save the world.

by Anonymousreply 44July 12, 2021 1:46 PM

We probably need to let diseases like covid naturally run their course and thin out the herd more. Over-population is killing the planet.

by Anonymousreply 45July 12, 2021 1:51 PM

R45 it annoys the shit out of me that population control is never mentioned with climate folks. You want to save the future? Reduce the number of people.

People waste. We create waste to produce and transport things or people. Reduce the number of people, reduce the amount of pollution.

by Anonymousreply 46July 12, 2021 1:57 PM

R43, that's their problem to solve. I'm not going to spent my life worrying about future generations. If you do, you'll be consumed with endless anxiety which helps NO ONE and makes you miserable. I do as much as I can as an individual, and I VOTE.

R44 is right. We can all do our part, but everyone must be in for anything substantial to happen.

The air conditioner issue is still open.

by Anonymousreply 47July 12, 2021 1:59 PM

[quote]Reduce the number of people. People waste.

In the past 18 months, we've been able to eliminate 4 million by Covid-19

by Anonymousreply 48July 12, 2021 2:04 PM

They're wising up and stopping doom predictions for just five years in the future. Fifty years of unfulfilled prophesies was getting people to laugh at them. Predicting disaster to people who will then be dead of old age gets just as much publicity, and nobody will be around to around who remembers to point and sneer when it doesn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 49July 12, 2021 2:29 PM

[quote] It’s like world hunger. I can sponsor some families

👋👋

by Anonymousreply 50July 12, 2021 5:10 PM

[QUOTE] We probably need to let diseases like covid naturally run their course and thin out the herd more. Over-population is killing the planet.

You’re saying we shouldn’t have created the vaccines, R45? We should’ve just let COVID ravage the world population, wiping tens of millions off the planet?

by Anonymousreply 51July 12, 2021 8:43 PM

There is no future!

by Anonymousreply 52July 12, 2021 8:45 PM

Well, there’s still tomorrow at least.

by Anonymousreply 53July 12, 2021 8:46 PM

There is a future, R52, but it looks very bleak. At least on earth.

by Anonymousreply 54July 12, 2021 8:58 PM

How much you want to bet that half the people who bitch about winter are the same ones bitching about the heat now? I’ll take winter any day over this summer shit!

by Anonymousreply 55July 12, 2021 9:11 PM

I thought that AC systems no longer used freon? R41, R47...no?

by Anonymousreply 56July 12, 2021 11:13 PM

I am willing to explore other planets, R54. With or without Bezos or Branson.

by Anonymousreply 57July 12, 2021 11:24 PM

R56:

To help protect the ozone layer, the EPA has mandated that the production of Freon be stopped by January 2020. The good news is that new air conditioning systems made since 2010 no longer rely on Freon. Most newer AC units use a refrigerant called R410A, or Puron.

by Anonymousreply 58July 12, 2021 11:26 PM

Wait a minute, new air conditioners don’t use Freon? Does that mean they’re not contributing to global warming?

by Anonymousreply 59July 12, 2021 11:32 PM

R59, yes, no more Freon. PURON is less damaging to the ozone than Freon, but it still damages. And how many old A/C units are still being used in houses and cars? My car is 15 years old, my home A/Cs are eight. Freon, Freon, Freon - still out there causing problems.

by Anonymousreply 60July 12, 2021 11:36 PM

They will also have their hands full with Y2.1K by the end of the century.

by Anonymousreply 61July 12, 2021 11:42 PM

You have to find a planet that not only supports life, but has water.

by Anonymousreply 62July 13, 2021 12:09 AM

Did someone say "Scorching Hot Somers?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 13, 2021 12:20 AM

[quote]What if they found a way to “paint” the now ice-free zones in the Arctic

It would take till the end of the century for all the gays to agree on a color.

by Anonymousreply 64July 13, 2021 12:29 AM

We were already polled, R64, and we voted chartreuse.

by Anonymousreply 65July 13, 2021 12:41 AM

It would have to be white to reflect the heat from the sun’s rays r64.

Of course, we’d have to change it after Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 66July 13, 2021 3:05 PM

July 2021 is officially the hottest month on record.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 14, 2021 11:11 AM

We'll ALL be dead and the ones living will ALL be used to it by then.

by Anonymousreply 68August 14, 2021 11:31 AM

For the hundredth time, R68, it won’t take 79 years. It doesn’t happen all at once. Summers will gradually get hotter, drier and longer while you’re still alive. They’re already 95 days long now, up from 78 in 1952. It won’t take long before we’re at 100 days of summer, for example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 14, 2021 11:46 AM

R69 I know, but "End of the Century" was used in the title and the gives fodder for comments like mine.

by Anonymousreply 70August 14, 2021 12:06 PM

It is so hot these days that I am staying indoors and in bed all day like a lunatic. At least I can console myself that I went on 2 trips but otherwise, total summer shut in.

by Anonymousreply 71August 14, 2021 12:20 PM

Has anyone seen a Twilight Zone episode where a couple of people are trapped in a non-airconditioned apartment during a "end of the world" heatwave? It turned out to be a dream, and they were actually trying to survive an end of the world icy cold wave.

by Anonymousreply 72August 14, 2021 1:48 PM

thongs will be So different by that time. They will have come up with ways to combat it. Many countries will be uninhabitable by that time though so the entire world will be a much different place than what we know

by Anonymousreply 73August 14, 2021 3:04 PM

[quote]thongs will be So different by that time.

They can't get much thinner.

by Anonymousreply 74August 14, 2021 8:18 PM

Mine can.

Or at least appear to.

by Anonymousreply 75August 14, 2021 8:22 PM

Well they just announced 48.8 degrees Celcius in Spain and all of Southern Europe is a disaster. The fires in Greece have been devastating this year.

by Anonymousreply 76August 15, 2021 10:14 AM

And it’s only going to get worse, R76.

by Anonymousreply 77August 15, 2021 12:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 15, 2021 1:19 PM

6 Arizona counties may be uninhabitable in 30 years due to climate change:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2021 12:39 PM

Good. It’s too freaking cold.

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2021 12:43 PM

Yeah, they told us the same thing about the 20th century. Never happened. Stop falling for this shit. They’re trying to get more funding for their pet projects.

by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2021 12:44 PM

[quote] I’ll take winter any day over this summer shit!

You’re on your own with that one. I hate cold.

by Anonymousreply 82November 21, 2021 12:45 PM

Glad I live in New England and have central air.

by Anonymousreply 83November 21, 2021 1:09 PM

[quote] Northern Europe will become the new Mediterranean.

Already done, with all the migrants from northern Africa.

by Anonymousreply 84November 21, 2021 1:14 PM

2,000 cattle dead from heat wave in Kansas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 16, 2022 7:25 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 18, 2022 1:12 PM

Europe is roasting with wildfires across France, Spain and Portugal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 18, 2022 4:04 PM

Not in the far north. Winter is 6 months here.

by Anonymousreply 88July 18, 2022 4:36 PM

You’ll be effected somehow one way or another, R88.

by Anonymousreply 89July 19, 2022 10:31 AM

Actually, I think R36 is right. There is an inevitability about it.

Ultimately, humans, as we have evolved, are incapable of coexistence - with the planet or each other.

We'll have our run and then fade away totally or in significance. Earth will continue to evolve.

And I think that's ok.

by Anonymousreply 90July 19, 2022 10:55 AM

The UK has officially hit its hottest day on record.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 19, 2022 11:32 AM

UPS driver collapses while trying to deliver a package in sweltering Arizona.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 19, 2022 3:00 PM

Uh, we already do. It's called Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 93July 19, 2022 3:12 PM

Brits flee as houses catch fire in London

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 19, 2022 3:20 PM

Right now, there are millions and millions of people across several continents suffering because of this sweltering, unbearable heat.

And, yet nothing is going to change. I’d like to be wrong, but I don’t think I am. We will just continue to endure this as it becomes more and more hellish. And soon it will be September with cooler temps and this will be forgotten — until next summer.

🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 95July 20, 2022 6:45 AM

Op, we’re already there.

by Anonymousreply 96July 20, 2022 8:20 AM

This spring/summer in the Pacific Northwest has been abnormally cold and wet so far (we’re just starting to shift into our typical “Mediterranean climate” summer weather this week), but this time last year, there were 800 “excess deaths” in my province due to the heat dome. In November, an immense rainstorm wreaked havoc (I lived in a hotel for two months last winter after my house was flooded). A road near my house still hasn’t been repaired after being completely washed away.

It’s not all about heat - it’s about extremes and unpredictability: the disintegration of established weather patterns. Many people are removed from agrigulture, but with floods, droughts, and cold, wet springs, etc., you can count on food becoming more expensive or even harder to come by.

As someone living in a water-rich area, I actually fear the possibility of “water wars” eventually, as the U.S slides into authoritarianism, the western U.S. grows ever drier, and the human population continues to grow unchecked.

by Anonymousreply 97July 20, 2022 9:47 AM

[quote]You’ll be effected somehow

The heat obviously affected your ability to spell. Hydrate, now!

by Anonymousreply 98July 20, 2022 1:43 PM

European energy buckling under the high demands from hot summers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 18, 2022 4:51 PM

Feel bad for my nephews. I'll be long gone.

by Anonymousreply 100August 18, 2022 4:53 PM

I wonder if everyone painted their roofs white (every building on the planet) it would help mitigate the loss of Arctic ice. The other worry about climate change is it could get too hot to grow food.

by Anonymousreply 101August 19, 2022 1:23 AM

Another record hot summer coming up.

by Anonymousreply 102February 15, 2023 6:27 PM

The only way to survive is to find a previously cold place and move there with your livestock. This is seriously horrendous for anyone with a farm with livestock. Totally and completely FUBAR.

by Anonymousreply 103February 15, 2023 6:42 PM

For the past decade winters have been exceptionally mild here in Ohio...and getting milder each year. In Cleveland my daffodils are already 3 inches high and my Hostas are starting to break through the ground. IN FEBRUARY. That usually doesnt happen until late March/early April.

by Anonymousreply 104February 15, 2023 9:27 PM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 105February 15, 2023 9:30 PM

We’re fucked. The short Latino landscapers are already out mulching in the middle of fucking February. Does that mean summer will now start in the middle of May?

by Anonymousreply 106February 15, 2023 9:37 PM

Heat waves around the globe already in May.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107May 28, 2023 8:43 PM

Southeastern US already seeing record heat, and it’s one week into summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 28, 2023 11:16 PM

Sounds good to me, bring it on.

by Anonymousreply 109June 28, 2023 11:18 PM

We had a summer in California like that a few years ago six months of Blazing sun. Five is normal.

by Anonymousreply 110June 29, 2023 12:01 AM

I guess the troll talking point on climate change is to make dark jokes about dying before the worst of it happens and not having kids to care about and just laughing it all off because who cares about anyone else but yourself?

Datalounge sucks so bad these days.

by Anonymousreply 111June 29, 2023 12:20 AM

I worry how my 138 year old body will react.

by Anonymousreply 112June 29, 2023 12:36 AM

At least gay people can fuck in good conscience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 29, 2023 12:38 AM

What's going to happen when the AI robots figure out the easiest way to end Hunger, Famine, Disease, and Global Warming is to destroy 90% of the human population? It's coming. Wait and See.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 29, 2023 12:53 AM

I can believe it. The additional fringe of summer on either side is fine, but the longer "peak summer" will suck. Plus it effects a lot of things.

by Anonymousreply 115June 29, 2023 3:37 AM

"If global warming continues unchecked." It will continue unchecked.

by Anonymousreply 116June 29, 2023 3:39 AM

We are not in the garden of Eden any longer tree huggers. I’m afraid it’s time to spray aerosols into the atmosphere and block out the sun a little bit. What could go wrong.

by Anonymousreply 117June 29, 2023 4:37 AM

@ R111

Yes there is a species of Debbie Downer troll / negative energy troll that posts negativity all the time, in a kind of psychological trolling. Obvs, the intent is to make everyone miserable and a malcontent. They can be difficult to distinguish from the sour old ladies who live with their cats and hate everything.

Both kinds deserve a kick in the cuntbone.

by Anonymousreply 118June 29, 2023 10:35 AM

Texas could become too hot for humans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 1, 2023 7:50 PM

July 3rd was the hottest day on record (so far)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 5, 2023 10:39 AM

Doomsday Addiction: Celebrating 50 years of Failed Climate Predictions

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 5, 2023 11:46 AM

Searing heat around the globe with no sign of relief

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 21, 2023 7:47 PM

We're barely having a summer at all in London. 66° right now. Forecast won't go above 70° for the next week plus plenty of rain.

by Anonymousreply 123July 21, 2023 8:00 PM

“We quite possibly are already living in a climate that no human has lived through before and we are certainly living in a climate that no human has lived in since before the birth of agriculture,” said Bob Kopp, a climate scientist at Rutgers University.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 21, 2023 8:10 PM

Jesus Christ, summer is too long already! FUCKING END! Sick of the heat!

by Anonymousreply 125September 10, 2023 9:05 PM

Humanity will adapt.

by Anonymousreply 126September 11, 2023 1:51 AM

*Could*

Next.

by Anonymousreply 127September 11, 2023 1:55 AM

Now that's what I call hot scoop.

by Anonymousreply 128September 11, 2023 1:58 AM

R127 you friggin idiot, it’s ALREADY HAPPENING. Summer is getting longer and longer! The OP’s article shows that it’s expanded an extra month since the 50s. What the fuck do you think, summer days might suddenly start contracting for no reason?

by Anonymousreply 129September 11, 2023 2:39 AM

We used to say we had only three months of summer. Six months is an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 130September 11, 2023 2:47 AM

Where is live, it used to turn cool the third week of September. Now it doesn’t. I’m okay with that.

by Anonymousreply 131September 11, 2023 2:48 AM

You’re okay with this planet hurling toward hell on earth, R131?

by Anonymousreply 132September 11, 2023 4:37 AM

I love heat. If it were ecologically sustainable, I'd wish for it to never go below 65 degrees F everywhere. Obviously, that's not sustainable for the environment overall, so I just have to work to move to a location where that's the normal climate. I literally get an attitude once the temperature drops 65 degrees and below.

by Anonymousreply 133September 11, 2023 6:10 AM

NYTimes: Why Summers May Never Be the Same

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 5, 2023 12:05 PM

My 140s are going to be uncomfortable!

by Anonymousreply 135October 5, 2023 1:05 PM

And a Soylent Green Social Order ensues. They'll have to do SOMETHING with all those people dropping dead from the heat and a parched world where crops can't be grown.

And In Our Next Scene: Rep 9: (downs the Death Becomes Her potion) Lisle: Now a warning. You and the world are going to be together for a long time. Take care of the world.

(Naturally, rep9 trashes the world. The world falls, or was she pushed, down a long staircase and isn't killed but suffers a broken environment that isn't worth living for a normal lifespan, let alone an immortal one)

He didn't heed the warning!

by Anonymousreply 136October 5, 2023 2:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!