Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How many of you Whores are watching SOPHIE, on Netflix?

Really good true crime documentary. This here hoe strongly recommends!

And no, not M’s “Sophie”. Just “Sophie”.

by Anonymousreply 17April 2, 2022 6:59 PM

I'm watching it you cunt.

It is in fact well done, albeit a bit slow in places. The County Cork cops are morons, but that's not a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2021 10:40 PM

R1, correct-o-mundo. Very well done.

The Garda were complete and utter morons. They took SKETCHES of Bailey’s face and hands instead of photos.

Unfuckingbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2021 10:44 PM

Right, the Captain chuckled about what a hassle it would be to come back with a camera. And they LOST the large bloody gate after removing it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2021 11:01 PM

Sophie’s death was due to opportunity. I have not finished watching as of yet, however, the murder wasn’t executed as a professional hit nor was it even bumbled in order to look like a crime of opportunity, which I believe, it was.

Whoever crushed her skull with that large piece of cinder block did so because he or she was strong enough to pick it up and drop it on her head. Whatever it is she saw or caught her assailant doing, was bad enough for the person to believe in haste, that this was his or her only option.

Everyone here had horribly poor procedural protocols and if they (the Garda) were themselves not involved, or protecting their own, and were acting in good faith, their instincts were steered awry due to hubris and profoundly dulled detective skills.

The lead detective and Bailey were both highly egotistical men who lied their way through the investigation thus far, and had they challenged their own poorly directed instincts, the missteps I’ve witnessed so far as this unfolds, would not have taken place.

My money is on the ex husband or the ex lover or a new lover. Or… on some stow away drifting from port to port. Whichever it is, it wasn’t planned and done in a fit of rage.

This is why you do not run around trusting strangers or even your own neighbors. You really don’t know who you’re dealing with and not only did Sophie allow a wolf into her proverbial hen house, but so did the towns people with their ridiculous gossip and story telling used for the purposes of bonding in a sole purpose for the creation of fear mongering and confusion.

Smart people who acted stupidly all the way around, and someone lucked out because they got away with murder in a place where everyone believed that their own wits and virtue would protect them from a craven lunatic who may have killed any of them instead of Sophie.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2021 3:25 AM

Someone said that the doc was done by the family and biased. They recommended some podcast series about it. I think they said there were other suspects. No idea.

by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2021 9:46 AM

Obviously the dyke killed her.

by Anonymousreply 6July 10, 2021 9:46 AM

R6 = Ian Bailey

by Anonymousreply 7July 10, 2021 9:47 AM

Watched it, loved it. But now I need to find and watch Jim Sheridan's 5-part series he made for British TV that aired about six months ago - supposedly much more sympathetic to Ian Bailey and his monstrous hips.

by Anonymousreply 8July 10, 2021 10:10 AM

I didn't think the documentary was unsympathetic to Ian Bailey. At first I believed it would be a hit job on him since he was English but when they finally got to his domestic violence history I wanted him jailed whether he did it or not. He BEAT HIS PARTNER TO A PULP PEOPLE. She needed reconstructive surgery in hospital. His alibi fell apart.

I'll watch the Sheridan thing anyway and get back to you.

by Anonymousreply 9July 10, 2021 4:26 PM

A friend recommended it to me. I think I'll check it out.

by Anonymousreply 10July 10, 2021 4:45 PM

I finished the James Sheridan Sky TV "Murder at the Cottage" and while it was clearly more open to the possibility that Bailey was not guilty than was the Netflix doc, Bailey does not come off well at all. Neither version gets anywhere with the Garda (police) about the missing evidence and the sloppy investigation. If the Garda WAS trying to frame Bailey they couldn't have done it with less competence.

The Sky tv version shows pictures of the battered face of Bailey's partner. Once again, he should be in jail for that alone. He's a monster. They finally split up at the beginning of this year, purportedly because her 3 daughters refuse to visit her as long as he is there.

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2021 8:30 PM

Perhaps Sophie caught Ian lurking about and peeking in her windows. She went out to confront him and he attacked her.

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2021 7:27 AM

Just finished watching it. Like any other Netflix murder investigation series, I felt it was obviously biased and manipulative, therefore difficult to get a sense of whether Bailey was such the obvious murderer, and the Garda so totally incompetent, or whether there is more to the story that the series won’t show because it doesn’t fit in the narrative they're trying to push. Either way a very sad story, and Bailey’s obviously a creep whose history of violence against his partner Jules should have sent him to jail.

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2021 2:53 AM

It wasn't bad, but the podcast "West Cork" from 2017 (I think) was much more exhaustive and went into the background of the characters other than Sophie much deeper. Bailey came across as a REALLY creepy guy, much more so than in the Netflix mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2021 3:09 AM

Your Sophie, your choice, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2021 10:49 AM

Bumping this thread; just watched it last night. It made me think of DL since there are frequently threads romanticizing getting a seaside cottage in Ireland or Scotland. It kind of hit home that living in some isolated, wind swept placed has problems you don't necessarily anticipate.

First of all, Sophie's family was weird - no wonder the poor woman went off to spend Christmas by herself. Ian Bailey is a creepy & weird individual, but I didn't think the program made a good case that he was the killer. Rather, it was just like - well, all the other leads didn't add up, so it had to be him. His behavior was terrible towards his partner, but that was domestic violence - there wasn't any indication that he'd gotten aggressive with any of the other villagers, who clearly disliked him & would've gladly spilled some outburst from him.

To leave her door unlocked & go outside in her pajamas & boots and walk some distance from her house, it had to be someone that she knew well. Otherwise, just lock the doors & call the Garda. I think it was some lover, maybe one the family knew nothing about. But it was a very weird story all around.

by Anonymousreply 16April 2, 2022 5:43 PM

[quote]To leave her door unlocked & go outside in her pajamas & boots and walk some distance from her house, it had to be someone that she knew well.

Not necessarily. It could be someone you knew only slightly which in a small town is someone it would be rude to ignore.

I didn't think her family was weird--they're French! Clearly she was adored by her son.

by Anonymousreply 17April 2, 2022 6:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!