Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Val” Trailer - Val Kilmer Documentary comes out 7/23

Wow it breaks my heart that he has throat cancer. So scary.

This man was one of the most beautiful in the 90s. An overnight sensation. Sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186September 5, 2021 1:28 AM

I found him hilarious in “Real Genius.”

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2021 6:53 PM

One of his best, r1.

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2021 7:10 PM

Wow, this looks really good. I've always enjoyed him as an actor. As a face, he was simply gorgeous in his prime.

I don't think he came out of the Hollywood machine unscathed. I hope he isn't doing this because he fears the worst? I hope his cancer is doing better.

I'll be watching.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2021 7:19 PM

I have a bad feeling about him

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2021 9:06 PM

"I'm your huckleberry."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2021 9:34 PM

He was a good choice to play Jim Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2021 9:56 PM

Copiers get cancer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2021 10:00 PM

He really was. He had a stunning resemblance to Morrison.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2021 10:00 PM

Loved him as John Holmes in Wonderland.

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2021 10:48 PM

36 seconds in is a clip of legendary director John Frankenheimer telling Kilmer, "Shut the video camera off" while on the set of "The Island of Dr. Moreau."

Frankenheimer was brought in as a replacement director for this troubled movie. The experience was so negative that Frankenheimer flatly refused to discuss it in interviews through the rest of his life. He is cited as saying, "I don't like Val Kilmer. I don't like his work ethic and I don't want to be associated with him ever again." When Kilmer's final scene was completed, Frankenheimer declared, "Now get that bastard off my set."

All that said, Kilmer was fantastic in "Willow," "Tombstone," "The Doors," and "Heat." Honorable mention for his hotness in "Top Gun."

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2021 10:56 PM

Kilmer and Brando clashed and had diva tantrums on that set

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2021 11:14 PM

Brando reportedly told Kilmer, "Your problem is you confuse the size of your paycheck with the size of your talent."

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2021 11:36 PM

[quote]The experience was so negative that Frankenheimer flatly refused to discuss it in interviews through the rest of his life. He is cited as saying, "I don't like Val Kilmer. I don't like his work ethic and I don't want to be associated with him ever again." When Kilmer's final scene was completed, Frankenheimer declared, "Now get that bastard off my set."

You can see in that clip Frankenheimer was pissed Val was documenting everything which from the rest of the film you see he did from a kid. Good for Val. Wish him well,

A review...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2021 2:05 PM

I wish I had been interviewed for this film, even in death. I have lots to say.

by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2021 4:50 AM

I watched Tombstone yesterday. He stole every scene he was in.

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2021 4:57 AM

R5 That was the name of his memoir. But of course he didn't say anything about his bisexual adventures.

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2021 4:58 AM

Many of us got our first look at him back in '82 when the only entry on his resume was "Cher's boyfriend."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2021 5:05 AM

Wow, I didn't know he dated Cher.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2021 5:21 AM

Cher got him when he was young and fresh.

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2021 2:32 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that his "bad behavior" rep had a lot to do with always having a camera in his hand.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2021 3:53 PM

No r20. He was a diva who would throw tantrums and refuse to leave his trailer if he didn’t have his way

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2021 4:17 PM

You were there?

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2021 4:37 PM

I went to high school with Val Kilmer. We never crossed paths as far as I can remember. Same with Kevin Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2021 4:41 PM

R22 it’s something that’s been reported about him for years. Hence why his career died. No one wanted to work with him.

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2021 4:51 PM

It’s no secret that Val Kilmer was a nightmare to deal with, which destroyed his career.

Especially after Batman Forever was a massive success. His ego was bigger than Gotham.

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2021 4:57 PM

r9, the crewmembers HATED him on that film- when the film wrapped, they found the interior of his trailer totally destroyed, including the television smashed on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2021 5:31 PM

A friend of mine who coincidentally is an actor recently beat throat cancer

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2021 6:54 PM

Throat cancer is becoming more prominent. More and more people are getting it than ever, even though people smoke less etc.

Supposedly oral sex is a big factor.

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2021 6:56 PM

It wasn't just Frankenheimer, even his own brother doesn't have nice things to say about Val:

[quote]"Richard Stanley, who directed Kilmer for three days in The Island of Dr. Moreau before being fired, recalls, 'Val would arrive, and an argument would happen.' Says John Frankenheimer, who replaced Stanley: 'I don’t like Val Kilmer, I don’t like his work ethic, and I don’t want to be associated with him ever again.' And Batman Forever director Joel Schumacher calls his onetime star 'childish and impossible.'"

[quote]The shock value in that Entertainment Weekly article, though, came when Kilmer's own brother, Mark, called his brother a narcissist who couldn't be helped.

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2021 7:07 PM

Difficult he may have been, but I loved him in "Tombstone" and "Willow."

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2021 7:23 PM

I loathe Willow. Always have.

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2021 7:25 PM

[quote] Supposedly oral sex is a big factor.

Dafuq?

by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2021 8:47 PM

I feel so bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 33July 14, 2021 3:08 PM

He was so hot in Top Secret!

by Anonymousreply 34July 14, 2021 3:22 PM

You all claim anyone and everyone is hot

by Anonymousreply 35July 14, 2021 3:25 PM

Not you R35.

by Anonymousreply 36July 14, 2021 3:29 PM

And just like that—bam!—r36 and I are sending out wedding invitations.

by Anonymousreply 37July 14, 2021 4:04 PM

Sad. He was beautiful back in the 1980s. Cher got some good dick (besides Sonny, Allman and Simmons).

by Anonymousreply 38July 14, 2021 4:17 PM

I agree he was great as Jim Morrison. He had his look and mannerisms down.

by Anonymousreply 39July 14, 2021 4:24 PM

IMO, His role as Jim Morrison, and the turn he did as Doc Holliday in Tombstone are iconic. No one else will ever be able to play those roles. When you think of the characters (real people) you think of him. I have to wonder if, by the time he worked with Pacino and De Niro in Heat, he had settled down some. You can't act out when you're dealing with those two.

by Anonymousreply 40July 14, 2021 4:26 PM

He was one of my first crushes in Real Genius. Hot, smart, and funny.

by Anonymousreply 41July 14, 2021 4:35 PM

uncircumcised fellows spread HPV, which causes cancer.

by Anonymousreply 42July 14, 2021 5:08 PM

I understand why he didn't want to divulge that he had throat cancer - it's his business, but I think he was in denial because there was no way he should have been working when his speech was in such disrepair. THE SNOWMAN (2017) was already a terrible film but what made it even more of a mess was that they obviously had to dub Kilmer's voice or sweeten it. A few times he was shot from the back so you don't have to see his face because it was obvious he wasn't speaking. It was distracting.

by Anonymousreply 43July 14, 2021 5:18 PM

He was so attractive in the Eighties, and he had genuine acting talent. But his narcissism really was destructive.

He was like a male Debra Winger, in that no matter how talented they were, at some level people just stop wanting to work with people who are that disruptive and badly behaved.

He now has the face he deserves.

by Anonymousreply 44July 14, 2021 5:22 PM

I can't wait to see this. He was supremely hot and talented. Hopefully, he has developed some hubris.

by Anonymousreply 45July 14, 2021 5:56 PM

[quote] Hopefully, he has developed some hubris.

"Hubris" means "arrogance" or "excessive pride."

I think the word you actually wanted to use was "humility."

by Anonymousreply 46July 14, 2021 7:09 PM

Fom what I read, Val Kilmer was deep into Christian Science and for way too long when he first noticed problems, he refused to get legitimate medical teatment. Finally, his son insisted as his condition worsened. It took a lot for him to say those words "I have throat cancer..."

by Anonymousreply 47July 14, 2021 7:15 PM

I never found him attractive, but I can appreciate some of his performances.

by Anonymousreply 48July 14, 2021 7:27 PM

Top Gun and Top Secret - the best tops of the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2021 12:44 AM

I was a huge fan. R15, I agree. The ones I enjoyed most were Tombstone, Heat, Top Gun, The Doors, Real Genius, Spartan, The Saint, Batman, Thunderheart, the African tigers movie, The Ghost and the Darkness. Every single one of those is worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2021 12:48 AM

[quote] Supposedly oral sex is a big factor.

Oral sex on vaginas cause cancer. Men and women that perform oral sex on vaginas on a regular basis have a disproportionate higher risk of developing throat cancer

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2021 1:00 AM

I was about to say. As homophobic as this nation is, don't you think if sucking dick caused cancer, some rat faced homophobe would have commissioned a study to give out the stats on Gay men with oral cancer the implication being clear ? I say suck away. If it worries you gargle with Listerine.

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2021 1:07 AM

Someone at Sony Pictures / Columbia clearly didn't like him. This might be the worst DVD cover of a major movie and was not part of the art work for the "Real Genius" theatrical release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2021 9:07 AM

Was "Red Planet" (2000) that bad? I don't know how I missed it- I've always like Mars movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 21, 2021 1:30 PM

Sometimes big dicks are Big Dicks.

by Anonymousreply 55July 21, 2021 2:00 PM

Now streaming on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 56August 7, 2021 1:29 AM

Definitely gonna watch this.

His hair was the star in top gun!

by Anonymousreply 57August 7, 2021 2:24 AM

Val really shows sensitivity and humility. He’s very vulnerable. He’s quite funny and i think a terrific method actor . What a career he had . I will pray for him . Poor guy 😩

by Anonymousreply 58August 7, 2021 5:47 AM

The doc has a lot of melancholy in it . His son narrates and sounds identical to Val .

by Anonymousreply 59August 7, 2021 5:48 AM

This made me cry

by Anonymousreply 60August 7, 2021 6:01 AM

I watched it not being a Kilmer fan in any way.

The doc was very moving. Very well made.

by Anonymousreply 61August 7, 2021 8:01 AM

Same here R61. Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 62August 7, 2021 8:19 AM

I was a fan. Now I’m an air conditioner.

by Anonymousreply 63August 7, 2021 8:30 AM

Concur with Kilmer's memorable performance in Tombstone. Also Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. How Kilmer's ego the size of LA county and atrocious behavior got together with petite, professional Brit Joanne Whaley remains the mystery of the ages. Something about love being blind, deaf and dumb, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 64August 7, 2021 8:56 AM

Son did great job narrating. Almost lost it when they were going to the funeral and he inter cut movies of them in the car as a kid.

He was quirky for sure, messy, funny, difficult, but I liked him. Felt bad at the Comic Con. He felt humiliated having to do it but then appreciates all the love given for his work.

by Anonymousreply 65August 7, 2021 9:51 AM

He was gorgeous. Top Secret is one of my favorite “dumb” movies. I hate Top Gun, but he was good in it.

Bonus points for the footage at the beginning of a young, shirtless, frolicking Rick Rossovich.

by Anonymousreply 66August 7, 2021 2:55 PM

Surprising he wasn’t Oscar nominated for The Doors or Tombstone.

by Anonymousreply 67August 7, 2021 3:25 PM

Schumacher tried to suck him off and got rebuffed. That's where those stories got started.

by Anonymousreply 68August 7, 2021 3:29 PM

The Comic-Con scenes were sad.

by Anonymousreply 69August 7, 2021 3:37 PM

He was never humble. Ever. I feel for him, but let’s not lie.

by Anonymousreply 70August 7, 2021 4:22 PM

I enjoyed the documentary. Interesting to see him dealing with his cancer and talking about meeting fans.

by Anonymousreply 71August 7, 2021 4:26 PM

Insufferable overrated narcissist. He got the face he deserved.

by Anonymousreply 72August 7, 2021 5:28 PM

You can count his good movies on one hand. The other hand can be used to strangle him out of his and our misery.

by Anonymousreply 73August 7, 2021 5:50 PM

Hasn’t he had this cancer for like 15 years?! Jesus, you’d think he’d either be in the clear or dead by now.

by Anonymousreply 74August 7, 2021 6:09 PM

R72, I can’t imagine what it’s like to live inside your body and soul. To call you an uncaring asshole is an insult to callous assholes .

by Anonymousreply 75August 7, 2021 10:49 PM

R74 his cancer is probably in remission but the damage was done. He will always need that breathing apparatus; that doesn’t get better.

by Anonymousreply 76August 7, 2021 11:21 PM

Liked the ass shots of young Sean Penn and Kevin Bacon.

by Anonymousreply 77August 8, 2021 3:22 AM

Val Kilmer is very lucky. My boyfriend died of Esophageal Cancer. He went to the VA in OKC over and over again and they kept finding nothing. We went to a Hospital Emergency Room and THEY found the cancer. My boyfriend was dead 6 months later.....As far as Val Kilmer is concerned---he can keep saying cancer wrecked his career all he wants, but his BEHAVIOR ruined his career. The stories about his behavior on the set of Batman Forever sank his roles.

by Anonymousreply 78August 8, 2021 3:29 AM

R78, why did they want him back for sequel ? He declined

by Anonymousreply 79August 8, 2021 4:53 AM

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is one of my favorite movies and Kilmer is great in it. I wonder how he and Downey got on.

by Anonymousreply 80August 8, 2021 5:04 AM

I liked Wonderland although it didn’t have critical success

by Anonymousreply 81August 8, 2021 5:08 AM

R79 = For the same reason Johnny Depp kept getting acting work and Bryan Singer directed Bohemian Rhapsody = Bad Behavior is ignored in Hollywood until it cannot be ignored or swept under the rug. You must be new.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 8, 2021 9:26 AM

[quote]The stories about his behavior on the set of Batman Forever sank his roles.

Honey, did you see debacle "Batman Forever"? Kilmer had every right to be a pain in the ass. He clearly states he couldn't move in the suit and the doc shows footage. No one in Hollywood could design it better? Joel Schumacher had no business anywhere near that franchise. And as stated above, Kilmer turned down the next one and Clooney up next and, under Schumacher again, hated his experience too

by Anonymousreply 83August 8, 2021 9:37 AM

[quote]Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is one of my favorite movies and Kilmer is great in it. I wonder how he and Downey got on.

I agree KKBB is so wicked and funny. Brilliant comedy and amazing performance by Downey, Michelle Monaghan and Kilmer, who's playing a straight gay detective.

I think Downey and Kilmer are still good friends and hang out.

by Anonymousreply 84August 8, 2021 10:54 AM

Downey appears to be part bitchy queen and part total sweetheart who gets along with everyone. Hes very interesting.,

The only person I’ve heard him straight up clashing with was David Fincher..

by Anonymousreply 85August 8, 2021 2:15 PM

RDJ is sweet to people on his level… not everyone else. He can be a diva and complete POS to those “beneath” him.

by Anonymousreply 86August 8, 2021 2:18 PM

It wasn’t Batman Forever that tanked his career. Critics panned it but the public ate it up, and it made a shit ton of money and sold more merchandise than the previous two films, which is why Batman & Robin was rushed into production.

Batman Forever made more money than Batman Returns.

Batman Returns didn’t make what the studios expected, and the film was criticized for being too dark and serious in tone, with parents upset over how dark the movie was to the point the McDonald’s happy meals with the toys for it were recalled etc. it was a mess.

That’s why the studio decided with the next film they needed to make it more light and fun to be more kid friendly, which is why they hired Schumacher, because they knew he would be perfect to lighten the franchise and make it a more “feel good” experience, and he did just that. That is also why they cast Jim Carrey as Riddler, for his humor (to Tommy Lee Jones dismay).

What ruined his career was The Island of Dr. Moreau.

by Anonymousreply 87August 8, 2021 2:27 PM

Brando seriously looked like a demon in that movie . Brando was a creep

by Anonymousreply 88August 8, 2021 2:49 PM

Val was gorgeous and a real intellectual

by Anonymousreply 89August 8, 2021 2:51 PM

Brando and Kilmer were unintentionally trying to out-diva the other. The whole film, set, etc. was a mess. Everything about that film was a mess. Didnt they go through like 3 directors? None of which the two leads liked.

I remember there was a day Kilmer wouldn’t come out of his trailer until Brando would, and Brando refused to come out of his trailer before the likes of Kilmer, who he felt was not on his level and should be thankful and respectful to a big star like him who had been acting since the golden age of Hollywood. Neither of them came out of that trailer that entire day, stalling filming even more.

Brando could get away with those diva antics because he was Marlon Brando, a Hollywood legend. Kilmer couldn’t. And he’s the one who paid the price.

by Anonymousreply 90August 8, 2021 2:55 PM

Brando was so overated .

by Anonymousreply 91August 8, 2021 3:00 PM

You misspelled overweight.

by Anonymousreply 92August 8, 2021 3:04 PM

Part of Brando’s behavior was because his daughter killed herself shortly before filming began. He was still recovering when he had to begin filming because he was contractually obligated to. On top of that, the first day of filming the French government set off an underwater atomic bomb near Tahiti, where Brando owned an atoll.

Add that onto his already being a difficult diva and asshole, and you had yourself a huge mess.

As for Kilmer, he had an ego even bigger than Brando’s without Brando’s stature etc. he thought he was the bigger star on that film set, and Brando wasn’t having it.

by Anonymousreply 93August 8, 2021 3:07 PM

I'm sure Val was a pain in the ass with a lot of childish behavior. It doesn't justify it but at least it was because he was striving for something better. The batman situation sounds awful for everyone. Why continue to make a suit that is so restricting?

by Anonymousreply 94August 8, 2021 3:09 PM

Exactly r94. Brando’s daughter died and son died after killing daughter boyfriend. Brando’s daughter was borderline

by Anonymousreply 95August 8, 2021 3:12 PM

I'm a bit surprised that someone as smart as Kilmer thought he could go toe-to-toe with Brando in the ego Olympics. I'm not a Brando fan - but come on. He is a legitimate pillar of Hollywood history, like him or not. That's like any given contemporary actress having a big boobs competition with the ghost of Jayne Mansfield.

by Anonymousreply 96August 8, 2021 3:15 PM

Cher also fucked Tom Cruise in his prime. Or so she claims.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 8, 2021 3:28 PM

He shouldn’t have eaten out Catherine Zeta.

by Anonymousreply 98August 8, 2021 3:29 PM

Interesting that Kilmer couldn’t even wrangle a golden globe nomination throughout his career, especially for the Doors, even from the starfucking HFPA, nevermind not one Oscar nom. He probably thought he was above kissing ass in those days. His diva ways did him no favors.

by Anonymousreply 99August 8, 2021 3:35 PM

But he was beautiful. I stayed with my high school boyfriend way too long because we shared a dog and he looked like Val Kilmer

by Anonymousreply 100August 8, 2021 3:44 PM

Wow, he was one of my favorites from the 80s and 90s.

by Anonymousreply 101August 8, 2021 3:50 PM

Even all thru that documentary I never got an ego out of control. He was a true total eccentric, they really exist. He was willing to look goofy and play around but he really strived to be good.

by Anonymousreply 102August 8, 2021 3:52 PM

R102 the throat cancer probably has brought him back down to Earth a bit. Guys that look like Kilmer did think the world revolves them. He was a big movie star who thought his shit didn’t stink until his movie career dried up. I like him in the doc, but make no mistake he was a horror on movie sets in his peak.

by Anonymousreply 103August 8, 2021 3:56 PM

I assume it's something he's lived to regret.

by Anonymousreply 104August 8, 2021 5:19 PM

R102 he’s been humbled since then. I’m sure he’s great now, but his behavior during his peak was atrocious, and many couldn’t stand working with him, which is why he stopped being cast.

Once he pissed off the directors, the studio and Brando while filming Dr. Moreau, and then the film was a critical and financial bomb to boot, he was done as an A-Lister. He became hard to hire.

by Anonymousreply 105August 8, 2021 5:32 PM

Val Kilmer frustrated director John Frankenheimer so much that, after shooting Kilmer's last scene in the movie, Frankenheimer said, "Cut! Now get that bastard off my set."

by Anonymousreply 106August 8, 2021 5:51 PM

From IMDB

Actors playing Moreau's creations would spend hours in makeup, only to find out that they weren't needed. At one point, a day's filming was canceled when Marlon Brando and Val Kilmer each refused to come out of their trailer until the other did.

by Anonymousreply 107August 8, 2021 5:52 PM

Wow, r106! We didn’t know that. Now that’s what’s called “breaking.”

(We really didn’t believe it all the way back at r10 when he told the exact same story.)

by Anonymousreply 108August 8, 2021 5:58 PM

Actor David Thewlis has stated that he would like to give a real account of the film's production, but fears that if he did he would never work again.

Also, David Thewlis skipped the premiere. He has said the experience was so negative that he vowed never to watch the finished movie.

He never watched the film he also starred in because of how negative an experience it was.

by Anonymousreply 109August 8, 2021 6:02 PM

Did Val get the cancer from cigs or eating pussy?

by Anonymousreply 110August 8, 2021 6:04 PM

I think Val is a good actor but as others have stated, let's not pretend he wasn't a complete asshole on the set of a number of films. There's a reason his career never quite reached its potential. To be fair, some of the people he clashed with - Brando and Schumacher - were also complete divas and egomaniacs, but that doesn't negate how horrible he behaved.

His performance in Tombstone should have won him a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 111August 8, 2021 6:05 PM

I just finished watching this and came away from it feeling like Val was a huge asshole who has been humbled by his illness. I am glad I didn't pay to watch it; it was rather boring to me.

by Anonymousreply 112August 8, 2021 6:26 PM

The Valerie Perrine doc about her Parkinson's held more interest for me, and she was actually well-liked in the industry. But I didn't want to spend 2.99 on my debit card to watch it!

by Anonymousreply 113August 8, 2021 6:33 PM

[quote]Val Kilmer frustrated director John Frankenheimer so much that, after shooting Kilmer's last scene in the movie, Frankenheimer said, "Cut! Now get that bastard off my set."

It's right in the doc where Frankenheimer tells him to put down the camera. Val was recording behind the scenes stuff and Frankenheimer wasn't having it. Seems the director was a bit of a pain in the ass too. Of course DVD's were still a year away from being introduced and now behind the scenes footage is standard fare on them. Val was before his time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 8, 2021 6:34 PM

I've never thought of Val Kilmer one way or another - I was very young when he was a big star - but I found this documentary to be very moving. No matter what kind of person he may have been years ago, nobody deserves what he's going through, esp. at such a relatively young age.

by Anonymousreply 115August 8, 2021 6:47 PM

He should've been nominated for an Oscar for The Doors, but you have to remember at that time the Academy was heavily made up of geriatric old farts from the WWII generation so it's not surprising he didn't get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 116August 8, 2021 8:29 PM

I was an extra on the Doors. There was a scene involving a little person or midget whatever you wanna call them ,and then Oliver stone immediately called “cut” for some reason. I was standing in the vicinity of a little person a mail and suddenly Val in full Jim Morrison in Venice Beach ,it was filmed on the boardwalk walks up to him and with the funniest grin says “ you scene stealing son of a bitch.” It was all said with warmth and fun. It made the midgets day

by Anonymousreply 117August 8, 2021 8:48 PM

I’m stoned forgive me. The little guy was a male (duh) my vibe and memory of Val was not of a controlling asshole, but of a diligent actor who gave his all. I’m not condoning any of the asshole moments on sets but I didn’t witness that and I think that scene that I Saul real life was the real Val

by Anonymousreply 118August 8, 2021 8:51 PM

I'm a big fan but I found the documentary kind of boring. Is it about his life? His sad decline? His reputation? His career? All of the above and more. They should have picked one subject.

by Anonymousreply 119August 8, 2021 9:40 PM

His performance in The Doors is incredible but unfortunately, it's a campy movie about a campy rock band. That's why it didn't get any awards--no one took Jim Morrison seriously so of course they aren't going to take Val as Jim seriously either.

by Anonymousreply 120August 8, 2021 9:41 PM

The reason he didn’t get a nomination for The Doors is the same reason J Lo didn’t get nominated for Selena.

by Anonymousreply 121August 8, 2021 9:43 PM

JLo didn't get nominated for Selena because she's a talentless cunt.

by Anonymousreply 122August 8, 2021 9:49 PM

Loved watching his relationship with his kids. Daughter lives right next door. Very hard to watch him do those autograph show especially when he wasn’t up to it physically. He seems like a nutty but sweet guy.

by Anonymousreply 123August 8, 2021 10:32 PM

When he said “ I miss my mama.” I lost it with emotion. That was raw real .

by Anonymousreply 124August 8, 2021 10:53 PM

Val is more memorable in the Doors then Warren Beatty in Bugsy or Robin Williams in Fisher King. He could’ve easily taken one of those slots. Wonder if he listened to Oliver Stone or they out pricked each other on that set?

by Anonymousreply 125August 8, 2021 11:42 PM

The doc was ok. I was really hoping for more insight into the filming of Heat. I was surprised how little time was spent talking about one of his more successful and well received films. I realize it was the Pacino and Deniro show but Val was definitely had a good chunk of time in the film.

by Anonymousreply 126August 9, 2021 4:23 AM

I really love him. Always have. God bless Joanne Whaley for putting up with that shit

by Anonymousreply 127August 9, 2021 4:24 AM

How did he & Cher meet?

by Anonymousreply 128August 9, 2021 4:33 AM

What I got from the doco (which is available for online free streaming) is that Kilmer was a creative who felt stifled and underserved by the roles that he was offered. That he was a pretty boy didn't help his acting choices.

I would also have liked to hear more about Kilmer's filming "Heat" with Pacino and De Niro.

Given the excesses and egos of "Hollywood", and the fact that Whalley publicly accused Kilmer of being a "deadbeat dad", he and Whalley seem to have done a commendable job raising their two children, both of whom look completely like their mum.

by Anonymousreply 129August 9, 2021 5:02 AM

Awwww, look, Disney made a cartoon of Val. How sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 9, 2021 8:05 AM

He sure was a beauty in his youth.

by Anonymousreply 131August 9, 2021 8:22 AM

Oh my god, I cannot understand anything he says.

by Anonymousreply 132August 9, 2021 9:46 AM

I never knew he had that big mole on the side of his face

by Anonymousreply 133August 9, 2021 10:16 AM

Did anyone here see his Mark Twain show? It looks to be pretty awful and hammy.

by Anonymousreply 134August 9, 2021 11:51 AM

no, i didn't

by Anonymousreply 135August 9, 2021 12:04 PM

I thought it was sweet that Joanne attended his mother’s funeral. I always thought she should have had a much bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 136August 9, 2021 2:11 PM

Joanne who?

by Anonymousreply 137August 9, 2021 2:38 PM

R137, his ex-wife.

by Anonymousreply 138August 9, 2021 3:20 PM

He was really hot when he was younger.

his house is a mess.

His son isn't cute.

by Anonymousreply 139August 9, 2021 3:25 PM

r132 I had to turn on the subtitles when Val spoke.

by Anonymousreply 140August 9, 2021 3:30 PM

R140 I had to do the same. I can't understand the choice to not have them on there to begin with from the film makers. Is that disrespectful?

by Anonymousreply 141August 9, 2021 4:33 PM

I don't know why they didn't include subtitles r141, I couldn't understand a word he said without turning on the Amazon subtitles. I feel very bad for him, he's still relatively young to be going through such a terrible illness/disability. He did smoke for years, though.

by Anonymousreply 142August 9, 2021 4:47 PM

He was also a prolific pussy eater, R142.

by Anonymousreply 143August 9, 2021 5:13 PM

Not sure if it's true but I heard that he did nothing about his condition due to this religion, Christian Science. What a dumb cunt if true.

by Anonymousreply 144August 9, 2021 5:15 PM

In all fairness not much can be done about throat cancer, even if it's caught early.

by Anonymousreply 145August 9, 2021 8:05 PM

[quote]Did anyone here see his Mark Twain show? It looks to be pretty awful and hammy.

It was a work in progress.

by Anonymousreply 146August 9, 2021 8:07 PM

Does anyone remember when Val played Moses in a musical version of The Ten Commandments? I think it was videotaped.

by Anonymousreply 147August 9, 2021 8:22 PM

A white actor would get canceled for playing Moses today.

by Anonymousreply 148August 9, 2021 8:49 PM

In all fairness not much can be done about throat cancer, even if it's caught early.

Michael Douglas had it, caught it early and fully recovered.

by Anonymousreply 149August 9, 2021 9:07 PM

This is the first time I've ever seen the Doors described as a camp act.

by Anonymousreply 150August 9, 2021 9:09 PM

I like Val!!

by Anonymousreply 151August 10, 2021 12:16 AM

That's because The Doors are not camp in any way, shape or form, R150.

by Anonymousreply 152August 10, 2021 4:10 AM

R145 is talking out his ass, my friend had throat cancer and fully recovered!

by Anonymousreply 153August 10, 2021 2:49 PM

Kilmer voiced Moses in the animated musical Prince of Egypt, r148.

by Anonymousreply 154August 10, 2021 2:53 PM

R153 that’s beautiful, but most Dont. It’s one of the most deadly cancers

by Anonymousreply 155August 10, 2021 3:08 PM

I always thought he was a pompous ass though gorgeous and a decent actor. However, he seems quite humbled by his illness and circumstances. I came away really feeling for the guy.

The documentary was a little ambling but it seemed to mirror the ebb and flow of life’s journeys in the way it was broken into vignettes. We don’t always grow immediately after a watershed incident but rather through the sorting out of psychic debris that comes afterwards. Self-knowledge generally arrives piecemeal rather than in a “Eureka!” moment.

by Anonymousreply 156August 10, 2021 4:48 PM

Wow, the films cited as Kilmer's best were so forgettable. Just like Kilmer! Sucks that he has cancer and I wish him well but his acting was nothing special and his film legacy was about as memorable as Molly Ringwald's.

by Anonymousreply 157August 10, 2021 4:59 PM

Wow, Molly Ringwald and her films are legend to a whole generation of girls who grew up in the 80's. Just because it's not your history doesn't make it not true.

by Anonymousreply 158August 11, 2021 4:29 PM

Val was great!

by Anonymousreply 159August 11, 2021 4:42 PM

All this talk about the making of the Island of Dr. Moreau movie makes me want to see if it's really that awful. Sometimes really bad movies can be fun. Is it worth a look?

by Anonymousreply 160August 14, 2021 2:25 PM

Oh, that's a shame.

Now he looks like the evil paining from Ghostbusters 2.

by Anonymousreply 161August 14, 2021 2:33 PM

He appeared as himself in "Life's Too Short" mockumentary w. Warwick Davis, produced by Ricky Gervais & Steve Merchant, 2011-2013.. TOTAL piss take on Val. Funny, scathing. Not a particular Val fanboy, but he was great in it. Mocked Batman, his weight, being a STAR..you name it..Great stuff. Think its on Amazon & maybe bits on You tube,

If he was such a overblown narc, no way would he have appeared in it, no matter how much it might have paid. It was a real send up. Doubt it did pay much since it was a bit niche.

by Anonymousreply 162August 14, 2021 2:57 PM

R160, watched it when it came out. It wasn't great. I don't remember much.

by Anonymousreply 163August 14, 2021 3:14 PM

[quote]If he was such a overblown narc, no way would he have appeared in it, no matter how much it might have paid. It was a real send up. Doubt it did pay much since it was a bit niche.

Even in the new doc, you could tell he was very serious about the work, but not at all about himself.

by Anonymousreply 164August 14, 2021 3:42 PM

his house looks like a shit hole! such a mess!

by Anonymousreply 165August 14, 2021 3:43 PM

Every house in every clip thru the years was like that. It is just who he is.

by Anonymousreply 166August 14, 2021 4:25 PM

We allowed Miss Kilmer to shit in our mouth in 1984.

It was delicious. But she was very rude afterward.

by Anonymousreply 167August 14, 2021 5:23 PM

Just because he's a sick of Christian Scientist, it doesn't mean he always has to look like shit (which he does) and crazy (which he is).

Why doesn't someone clean him up?

And why didn't someone get him treatment at the start of his cock-induced HPV throat cancer?

These people are just another form of anti-vaxxers.

by Anonymousreply 168August 14, 2021 5:26 PM

R168 Maybe he likes looking like that or it's comfortable for him since he is ill/recovering? There was that scene in his documentary where he is sitting on a bed (his mother's?) after his mother's funeral where he is crying and putting on his mother's Southwestern jewelry. He appears to wear some of that jewelry daily and perhaps some of the scarves belonged to his mother as well.

by Anonymousreply 169August 14, 2021 5:44 PM

Do his home movies include footage of him beating his wife, Joanne?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 14, 2021 6:14 PM

Did Val beat Joanne? Also, what are the stories of RDJ being a diva with underlings? Someone mentioned this about RDJ in previous comments.

by Anonymousreply 171August 14, 2021 6:19 PM

He was in the Richard Stanley version of “The Island of Doctor Moreau.” Stanley got booted from that trainwreck of a project.

In the documentary about the movie Kilmer comes off like a vain, pompous idiot.

by Anonymousreply 172August 14, 2021 6:23 PM

Ok now that I’ve read the thread I apologize for rehashing the discussion — I do recommend the documentary though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 14, 2021 6:27 PM

Anyone else think Val resembled Cher's daughter/son Chastity?

by Anonymousreply 174August 14, 2021 6:39 PM

[quote]And why didn't someone get him treatment at the start of his cock-induced HPV throat cancer?

He's straight and was a smoker for decades, dear.

by Anonymousreply 175August 14, 2021 6:43 PM

[quote]n the documentary about the movie Kilmer comes off like a vain, pompous idiot.

In the new doc he has his own footage.

[quote]Do his home movies include footage of him beating his wife, Joanne?

Well, they were divorced for a while and she showed up for his Mother's funeral and they looked amicable.

by Anonymousreply 176August 14, 2021 10:13 PM

Did he beat her?

by Anonymousreply 177August 15, 2021 7:09 AM

Joanna is pretty

by Anonymousreply 178August 15, 2021 3:54 PM

He's no stranger to the homosex

by Anonymousreply 179August 16, 2021 11:36 AM

I’m only vaguely familiar with his work, but I thought this was really well done. I felt like you could see glimpses of a personality disorder in there somewhere (or maybe just narcissism), but it was overall really moving. I cried during the funeral portion, but the most touching parts were when he was at the Texas screening and at Comic-Con. He’s obviously doing those events for money, but he had a lot of self awareness in those scenes that surprised me. I never thought he was particularly talented, but he seemed to take acting pretty seriously. I wouldn’t wish that cancer on anyone, how awful.

by Anonymousreply 180August 28, 2021 11:16 PM

I always thought he had an ugly mouth. I guess there was an underbite at play as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 28, 2021 11:24 PM

Cancer is an equal opportunity devil.

by Anonymousreply 182August 28, 2021 11:29 PM

I'd still fuck him

by Anonymousreply 183August 29, 2021 12:40 AM

he pings

by Anonymousreply 184August 29, 2021 1:10 AM

In an interview where Val's kids were promoting the movie, the interviewer closed with, "What do you hope audience members take away [from this movie]?" The kid--totally seriously--responded, "That John Frankenheimer is a phony and the truth will come out about him and hopefully people will see that."

This comment kinda tells me everything I need to know about Val Kilmer, his kids, and his little movie.

A "phony" and that "the truth will come out." Sure, kid, really big of you to attack one of Hollywood's most accomplished and respected directors (and someone who never once publicly criticized your dad) now that he's been dead for almost two decades.

And THAT'S what you want people to take away from the movie? Sounds like Val is still holding a grudge... and it kinda makes me wonder if the stories about his on-set antics were all true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185September 5, 2021 1:21 AM

[quote]The kid--totally seriously--responded, "That John Frankenheimer is a phony and the truth will come out about him and hopefully people will see that." This comment kinda tells me everything I need to know about Val Kilmer, his kids, and his little movie.

Why? I just read that quote and I saw the film weeks ago and understand what they were talking about. Frankenheimer said things to hurt Val's career and in Val's tape it shows Frankenheimer being the agressor. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 186September 5, 2021 1:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!