Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are You A Friendly Person?

Do you initiate greetings and say 'Good Morning' to people regularly or do you usually wait to respond to someone else?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 30, 2021 8:02 AM

If I say hello to someone and they don't respond or stare blankly, it bothers me longer than it should and makes me reluctant to do it again

by Anonymousreply 1July 1, 2021 3:35 AM

No, I'm unbearably shy and often try to stay silent and in my own lane, which ironically makes people think I'm rude and standoffish.

by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2021 3:36 AM

As I've gotten older I will greet people if they look at me when passing on the street.

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2021 3:37 AM

I'm from Minnesota, famous for "Minnesota Nice", which means we mind our own business and don't intrude on strangers. In our culture, it's more friendly that way.

by Anonymousreply 4July 1, 2021 3:37 AM

Friendly as a flower but if you cross me unprovoked I will cut you a mean one.

by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2021 3:40 AM

I greet people if we pass in close proximity. I think it pleases (most of) them. It pleases me when I’m greeted by strangers. But no offense taken when people don’t respond to my greeting.

by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2021 3:47 AM

Nope.

Just let me have my coffee. I'll be civil after it kicks in.

by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2021 3:48 AM

No in generally actually.

by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2021 3:48 AM

While walking my dog, sometimes I dread for an entire block passing a seemingly aggressive couple or person and they will end up being VERY friendly and animated and I would have felt bad ignoring them

by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2021 3:52 AM

I only greet others if my gaydar signals lgbt, otherwise I am on “do not disturb.”

by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2021 4:11 AM

Let's just say I enjoy social distancing and wish the distance were greater.

by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2021 4:16 AM

Yes, more so than years ago. I used to be so quiet and shy but have managed to come out of my shell. But still working on it.

by Anonymousreply 12July 1, 2021 4:20 AM

I’m not as sweet as I used to be…

by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2021 4:32 AM

If i know the person (like back in the days when we had to work in the office), i will definitely say hello or good morning.

If someone makes eye contact (shudder the thought!), I feel obligated to at least nod or half-smile to acknowledge their existence.

For the most part, i stay in my own lane. But i'm not unfriendly, i just tend to be a bit on the shy side. i wouldn't ever not respond if someone actually greeted me or nodded hello.

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2021 4:37 AM

I am cordial towards most people unless you are an obnoxious asshole (or annoying Frau).

by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2021 4:41 AM

Yes, I'm friendly when I first meet people. I like to start off on a good foot. If things go bad, I have no problem changing my M.O. with that person. Call me petty, but I always remember it when people are not friendly to me when we meet. I hate it when people think you have to prove something in order to be on friendly terms.

by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2021 4:46 AM

It's confusing when (straight) people will be really outgoing and friendly one day and cold and aloof the next.

I'd rather not play the daily mood guessing game and just set to ignore all the time.

by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2021 4:50 AM

R14 I'm the same way, I'll greet people I know if I run into them in public.

by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2021 4:51 AM

I like to be polite but I can also be shy which due to being quite good looking could come across as being rude

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2021 4:53 AM

It doesn't come naturally to me responding based on the time of day, like Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening. and I awkwardly respond with "HI!"

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2021 4:57 AM

Me too, r20. Part of the reason I may not always initiate a greeting is because I sometimes fumble with what to actually say.

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2021 4:59 AM

Fuck off OP. You fucking little worthless piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2021 5:05 AM

If I make eye contact first, I usually just do a head check.

But if they say something I'll definitely say something bad.

by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2021 5:08 AM

There's nothing worse than an approaching straight couple making unyielding eye contact

by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2021 5:18 PM

No

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2021 4:22 AM

Honestly it depends on my mood. Have I had coffee, yet? Have I gotten enough sleep? Do I like the person? A lot of different variables come into play. On average, though? I am pretty friendly.

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2021 4:24 AM

I’m from the south so I greet everyone, friend or stranger, with “Well good morning, sweetheart!” And if they fail to respond I follow up with “Well what the fuck is wrong with you, sugar?’

And I lean in.

by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2021 6:40 AM

Yes, very. But *do NOT* poke the bear.

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2021 6:56 AM

Good morning, Miss Davis!

by Anonymousreply 29July 25, 2021 7:31 AM

[quote] I’m from the south so I greet everyone, friend or stranger, with “Well good morning, sweetheart!”

And then HR writes you up.

by Anonymousreply 30July 25, 2021 7:32 AM

My mother was a very cold private person, “aloof” is a good word to describe her- and discouraged me making any friendships while growing up. She had postpartum depression and cut off all communication with her own friends. Before she wound up in a nursing home, she sat in anguish all alone snd she had been left forgotten by many of her old friends, She only had a homecare person three times a week and spent all week in isolation in her apartment.

It’s the primary reason I decided to put her in a home- so she’d have people around.

I went 180 as a teen and became a club kid in the mid 80’s . By the late 90’s I was a bartender in a club. Here’s what I’lll say- I’m friendly but reserved in my old age. It takes two to be friendly, and if someone is warm to me, I’ll be warm to them. I can count on. One hand how many true friends I have nowadays and keep them close. I’ve had my heart broken and had coworkers become vengeful.

But I’ll never forget how alone my mom became.

by Anonymousreply 31July 25, 2021 7:42 AM

I’m described by my doctor as being extremely friendly

by Anonymousreply 32July 25, 2021 7:43 AM

Yes. "It doesn't cost anything to be friendly" was drummed into me at an early age. Friendly doesn't automatically translate to an American sense of inordinate disclosure, or boring those around you. However, a kind word and some genuine pleasantries may well make someone's day. There are many lonely people who often feel invisible.

Just the other day I was in a wine shop I frequent, and there was a new cashier. I said hello, how are you...and that I hadn't seen him before... You must be knew I said. (I had noticed they had hung a help wanted sign on their door a week ago.) He had just begun working there, and said he was doing well, and thanked me for asking.

He asked about the wine I had selected, and we had a nice conversation. His entire demeanor brightened up when I asked about him. Take an interest in those around you, and at least attempt to be friendly to those whom you do business with regularly.

by Anonymousreply 33July 26, 2021 5:28 AM

I'm friendly to honest people. If I detect an ounce of dishonesty in someone though, I'll cut you into pieces.

by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2021 5:38 AM

The risk of a rude response is too great

by Anonymousreply 35July 28, 2021 2:34 AM

I'll mutter "Hi" if provoked, or at least nod in acknowledgment.

What I will never understand are people who greet you with "How's it going?" as they pass. The fuck? Why ask an open question as a greeting in passing? They obviously don't expect me to stop and elaborate on the current state of my life, so why?

by Anonymousreply 36July 28, 2021 2:47 AM

R36 Why I never understand the passing "How are you?" that you everywhere

by Anonymousreply 37July 28, 2021 2:49 AM

R36 Its pretty much unofficially agreed upon that "How's it going?" is just another form of "Hello".

by Anonymousreply 38July 28, 2021 2:53 AM

R27 LMAO. You gave me a good laugh. I WW'ed you very hard.

by Anonymousreply 39July 28, 2021 2:57 AM

A friendly pershon alwaysh wearsh a shmile!

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2021 2:57 AM

R38 and how I'm supposed to response to that question? saying "How's it going" back?

by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2021 6:49 AM

The people around me say i am, but they all work for me.

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2021 8:18 AM

Overly friendly and chatty. Sometimes it's good because it helps me make friends everywhere and it can be bad because you sort of become the one they all bring their problems to or the one people try to take advantage of. Some read it as weakness...the dense ones. However, most people respond positively and even some of the bitchiest queens I have met have become friends over time.

by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2021 8:42 AM

I'd like to think I'm friendly in general. I'm extremely friendly these days to anyone who works in a service industry. I always smile, ask how they're doing and make sure to thank them. The vast majority are thankful and smile back.

by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2021 12:01 PM

I do not care how anyone is doing and I don’t want to put out an opening for any further interaction.

by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2021 12:04 PM

Are you lost?

by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2021 12:28 PM

Am I a friendly person? Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2021 12:55 PM

My roommate has an anti-harassment order against a younger gentleman. When I see him, I grab Mama’s Boy(painted club with rhinestones), and walk him two blocks from the house. This time is filled with me reciting the terms of his 7 restraining orders, “son, this isn’t 1,000 feet.” I threaten to smash his teeth in. While I walk back to the house, I greet my neighbors just like I’m on an early morning walk. “Howdy!”

by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2021 1:41 PM

^^^ well, my career as a thread killer is intact. Sorry, everyone.

by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2021 6:31 PM

I’m very outgoing, some say too outgoing.

by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2021 6:36 PM

Me, too, R50!

by Anonymousreply 51July 28, 2021 6:44 PM

Yes, I prefer strangers over my family, they’re interesting because I don’t know them yet.

by Anonymousreply 52July 28, 2021 8:03 PM

It's just common courtesy to say "hello," "good morning" and "have a great evening." I usually smile when I pass strangers and mouth or say "hello." Mean people suck as they say.

by Anonymousreply 53July 28, 2021 8:31 PM

I’m a “three strikes and you’re out” person especially when it comes to work colleagues and people who live in my apartment building.

I will say hello and acknowledge people but if they don’t respond by the third time, they are DEAD TO ME.

Basically the same when holding a door or an elevator. If you don’t even bother to mumble a “thank you”, you can bet it’s never happening again.

by Anonymousreply 54July 28, 2021 8:36 PM

It depends.

by Anonymousreply 55July 28, 2021 8:41 PM

I can be. I work with the public and at work I'm very friendly but when I'm not working I tend to be introverted as this is my natural state. I enjoy talking to others in public sometimes, but other times I do not.

by Anonymousreply 56July 28, 2021 9:10 PM

Fuck no!

by Anonymousreply 57July 28, 2021 9:30 PM

[quote]What I will never understand are people who greet you with "How's it going?" as they pass. The fuck? Why ask an open question as a greeting in passing?

Hu? The proper response is I am doing good how about you? Not hard. It's not really a question. They don't really want to know that you have a head cold, constipated and just lost your job.

by Anonymousreply 58July 28, 2021 9:46 PM

Some cultures are just rude. I live in a high-rise building in Los Angels. It's kind of an unwritten custom in the building to say hello to anyone who enters the elevator because basically you are neighbors even if you never met before. It's a pretty divers group of people. There's people from other countries like the UK, Japan, Australia etc. For the most part, everyone plays along except for Russian immigrants for some reason. Always rude, no response when you say hello to them. They just keep talking to each other like you are not even there.

by Anonymousreply 59July 28, 2021 9:50 PM

People always ask me for directions or is this right train to take so I must be a friendly person.

by Anonymousreply 60July 28, 2021 9:53 PM

When I am shopping in a department store which is rare I have had woman in stores ask me to try on a shirt or sweater for them because they say they a son my size. It's happened more than once. I guess I look that friendly?

by Anonymousreply 61July 28, 2021 9:59 PM

R58, even when passing a stranger in a hallway?

No, it’s moronic.

by Anonymousreply 62July 28, 2021 9:59 PM

It's not moronic R62, if you are the only two in the hallway not to ignore each other its actually odd to PRETEND you dont see each other. If I am taking out the trash down the hallway to the trash shoot and pass by someone I dont know who lives on the same floor it's still common courtesy to at least say hello. If they say how is it going, I just say "fine thanks". It's not that hard. You never know when you might actually need to rely on each other in an emergency like a fire for example.

You sound more like the moron.

by Anonymousreply 63July 28, 2021 10:05 PM

My building is brand new, so no existing cliques. So far, everyone makes eye contact with at least a perfunctory greeting.

by Anonymousreply 64July 28, 2021 10:15 PM

I cuss out Jehovah’s witnesses who keep showing up at my door, so nope.

by Anonymousreply 65July 28, 2021 10:23 PM

Yea whenever people ask me for directions I don't know if it's because of my good looks or whether I seem like a non threatening, friendly person.

by Anonymousreply 66July 28, 2021 10:28 PM

I am fine with a greeting. However, when it turns into a small talk situation, I regret saying anything at all.

by Anonymousreply 67July 28, 2021 10:29 PM

GET OFF MY LAWN!

by Anonymousreply 68July 28, 2021 10:33 PM

I am friendly. I also tended bar for a decade, so when I say hello, it actually means “I am aware of you being here, and if you fuck around I am going to kick yer fucking teeth in.”

by Anonymousreply 69July 29, 2021 1:22 AM

No, but I'm English so it doesn't really mean anything if I totally ignore you or look at like you as if you're a deranged stalker.

It's normal for us.

by Anonymousreply 70July 29, 2021 1:36 AM

R58 you've illustrated the pointlessness of the entire exchange

by Anonymousreply 71July 29, 2021 5:49 AM

[quote]Yea whenever people ask me for directions

This old man once stopped me and asked for directions. I told him I didn't know where he was trying to go and said sorry couldn't help him. That old fucker yelled at me and said "don't you know where you are going!"

So call me jaded when people stop me for directions.

by Anonymousreply 72July 29, 2021 5:55 AM

Yes, in public. I smile and wave, always say thank you cheerily or nod in appreciation if I am wearing a mask. I have to fake being friendly with strangers, perfectly perfected in all the preferred political views and terminology. Then I get home, put on my red hat and log into Q Anon.

by Anonymousreply 73July 29, 2021 7:06 AM

R70 - that's odd. I have found the opposite to be true. The English are more likely to be friendly. Everytime I have met an English person, be it at the gym or in travels or even by consequence (as in my roommate's cousin's husband with whom I talk to now every week about news, travel, music), we become pals right away. Oh well, guess blood it thicker than water.

by Anonymousreply 74July 29, 2021 7:26 AM

No, I'm quite an anxious person. I was bullied a lot at school so I think all people are evil.

by Anonymousreply 75July 29, 2021 7:38 AM

R75 - there must have been at least one nice person.

by Anonymousreply 76July 29, 2021 8:55 AM

Saying hello to strangers you pass by is stupid and kind of creepy when it’s old or ugly guys doing it.

by Anonymousreply 77July 29, 2021 8:55 AM

I greet most people but not if I am walking in the city. I am not offended if they don't respond, but usually they do.

by Anonymousreply 78July 29, 2021 9:05 AM

[quote]the trash shoot

Messy.

by Anonymousreply 79July 29, 2021 9:15 AM

Finger guns and a wink for all who cross my path.

by Anonymousreply 80July 29, 2021 11:52 AM

I've never considered myself particularly outgoing, but people trust me. When something has gone sideways in the lives of certain friends and acquaintances, I'm the one who hears confessions - in person, by phone, or even online. Two o'clock in the morning stuff. I've dealt with two threatened suicides, when I actually had to call in the police.

by Anonymousreply 81July 29, 2021 12:19 PM

I present hole to every stranger I meet. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 82July 29, 2021 12:23 PM

In some ways yes, in others no.

I'm pretty shy (always have been) so I rarely speak to someone I don't know unless they do to me first. If they do I'll respond and even have a conversation with them for a bit if that was what they were wanting. I'm not one of those smiley people always happy (so not me!).

I do try to be polite and say things like "thank you" and "have a nice day" to service workers. And I try to do little acts of kindness when I can. Holding doors open for people, especially older or disabled people, helping random people out with things if they ask if and can, ect.

by Anonymousreply 83July 29, 2021 12:43 PM

I like to model myself after Kate Middleton. Smile, shake a hand and then move quickly on. Always stay above the fray.

by Anonymousreply 84July 30, 2021 6:07 AM

R84 - she can pull that off based on who she is, whoever grooms her to the nines and her dental glamour.

by Anonymousreply 85July 30, 2021 8:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!