Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The original version of "Alone"

I did not know Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly - who have cowritten so many popular songs for Cyndi Lauper, The Pretenders and the Bangles - also wrote this (under their band name i Ten).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2021 4:01 PM

I didn't know this until fairly recently either. I always presumed that Heart wrote that song. I'm so used to the Heart version with Ann's vocal acrobatics, but the original is also very moving.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2021 1:26 AM

Did not realize all the songs they wrote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2021 4:13 PM

[quote] Tom and I were standing on an outdoor terrace talking to Stephen Bray. Stephen collaborated with Madonna on some of her early dance hits, like “Into The Groove.” Madonna, with Warren Beatty in tow, came walking toward us. It felt like the perfect opportunity to be introduced. Stephen said, “Madonna, this is Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly, who wrote “Like A Virgin.” Warren Beatty started to laugh, thinking it was a joke because Madonna would have surely already known the writers of her signature song. I gave her my biggest smile and said, “Madonna, I’ve wanted to meet you for so long.” She said, “Well, now you did,” grabbed Warren and walked away. I was devastated. Tom started to laugh. I can’t remember what Stephen’s reaction was. I think it’s funny now. And I’ve never met Madonna since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2021 4:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2021 4:21 PM

Surely everyone knew Steinburg and Kelly wrote Alone?

They had Billiboard #1s over 6 consecutive years - Like A Virgin - True Colors - Alone - So Emotional - Eternal Flame.

Steinburg also had a successful writing partnership with Rick Nowels. kd lang's The Consequences Of Falling is sublime, Mel C's I Turn To You is a banger and Robert Miles' One And One is perfect.

I will now forever associate Alone with Nighty Night and the funeral of Terry Tyrell. For some reason they replaced it with I'll Stand By You on the dvd version which most people have seen. Another Steinburg Kelly song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2021 4:44 PM

Male cover #1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2021 5:11 PM

Male cover #2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2021 5:15 PM

[quote] Surely everyone knew Steinburg and Kelly wrote Alone?

How absurd. Many people cant even remember who sang it.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2021 5:21 PM

Wow Madonna comes off as an absolute cunt in that story in r3.

Makes me feel less sorry for the mess she's become, since she kinda deserves the face she has now.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2021 3:54 PM

Madonna by that time had gone on to much better things. I can't blame her for not wanting to be associated with Like A Virgin, when she had such classics as 'Into the Groove,' 'Live to Tell,' "Like A Prayer' and Vogue under her belt.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2021 4:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!