Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When Was The Last Time A Song Written For A Broadway Show

Became a pop hit? I know most music these days is rap but how far back do you have to go to find a top ten hit?

I mean a song written specifically FOR a show, not a song written and later interpolated into a show.

by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2021 4:39 AM

One Night In Bangkok, 1984?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2021 2:23 PM

The shun comesh up... I shink about you... the coffee cup... I shink about you...

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2021 5:50 PM

By “pop hit” do you mean Billboard Top 40?

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2021 6:30 PM

Top Ten songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2021 6:58 PM

The Neil Diamond version of “I Dreamed A Dream” got a lot of play at least on Adult Contemporary stations back in the 80s. It did not make me want to see the show.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2021 7:41 PM

To reach #1 the last is "Aquarius"/"Let The Sunshine In"

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2021 8:02 PM

Somehow everyone in America knew the words to at least phrases from "Tomorrow" and "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," even though I don;t think those were top 10 hits.

by Anonymousreply 7June 24, 2021 12:49 AM

LIAR!

by Anonymousreply 8June 24, 2021 12:53 AM

I remember stations playing " Don't Cry for Me, Argentina," and hearing people sing it on tv shows. I thought it was the most ridiculous thing to sing.

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2021 1:59 AM

Case in point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2021 2:00 AM

Abba sings One Night in Bangkok.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2021 2:06 AM

Rent tried to make Seasons of Love a pop hit by having Stevie Wonder record it. One critic said it sounded like Stevie was being castrated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2021 4:25 AM

Jay Z's "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)" was a top 10 hit in many countries in 1999.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 24, 2021 4:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!