Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Only 29 percent of Mississippians are fully vaccinated against COVID-19

Delta is going to hit the deplorables very hard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 24, 2021 7:18 PM

Delta in the Delta.

Seems fair.

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2021 2:01 PM

Seems deadly.

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2021 2:02 PM

It’s Kamalas fault that Steve is a thief and a crook along with the rest of the Republican gang of thugs?

How is that democrats fault. You see how they operate. How they brainwash entire districts going door to door with Kock money and Fox need and AM radio brainwashing the jury pools.

People need to wake up and realize that republicans are stealing everything under the sun, including votes, while they catch everyone up in these fake social wars.

They are cleaning America’s clock with the help of their foreign friends.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2021 2:04 PM

Wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2021 2:05 PM

At this point I don't even care. Except that I live in Georgia and work with two morons who think the vaccine is dangerous or some shit.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2021 2:07 PM

They are going to get us all killed. Where does this mutation go from here? They will turn Delta into something even more deadly. The south will be decimated.

Deplorables are going to be the death of us all

You couldn’t have planned this better (from a foreign think tank)

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2021 2:09 PM

[quote]Wrong thread—R3

The thread isn't the only thing wrong. You have a herd of "Oh dears" in that reply.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2021 2:09 PM

I'd like to see a breakdown of the unvaccinated Mississippians by age and race.

I think that would be illuminating.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2021 2:09 PM

R6, MARY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2021 2:10 PM

[quote]They will turn Delta into something even more deadly.

Excuse me? Excuse ME? EXCUSE ME?

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2021 2:17 PM

these sloths are going to make the virus mutate into something that could not be protected by the vaccine.

How hard is it to be a decent citizen? Deplorables are so lazy. They drag this country down and hold everyone else back.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2021 2:17 PM

Great that this is an anonymous board.

I would love to see these people die from Covid. Darwinism at its best. However... it also means that our health system will be overcrowded, that doctors and nurses will suffer, and worst, the kids of these idiots will also suffer just because their parents are morons.

Still...

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2021 2:20 PM

Mississippi is America’s very own third world shithole.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2021 2:24 PM

By the time this virus gets to Gamma, we’re all goners.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2021 2:25 PM

What’s wrong with the state leadership? They have been given enormous support from the feds.

There is no excuse for putting neighboring states on jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2021 2:26 PM

[quote]I'd like to see a breakdown of the unvaccinated Mississippians by age and race.

The percentage of each race that had received at least one shot in MS by May 21:

• 55% of MS Asian Americans

• 30% of White Americans

• 28% of Black Americans

• 23% of Latino Americans

• 11% of Indigenous Americans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2021 2:28 PM

That’s a high rate for minorities considering the state most likely put out the shots in only white neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2021 2:30 PM

R6, I have some news for you about the demographics of the Mississippi Delta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2021 2:34 PM

R16, you know that every single person on that list is a Democrat.

It’s a shame that republicans care so little for others, regardless of race.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2021 2:37 PM

I'm in Mississippi...The vaccination sites were in easily accessible places (the minor league baseball park, schools, etc. I got both of my vaccinations as soon as I could. Most of the college educated that I know, did likewise. It's the willfully ignorant MAGAt dumbasses who have not.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2021 2:38 PM

Covid finally hitting Africa, but reporting is inconsistent because of poverty and lack of communication.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2021 2:39 PM

Whenever the deplorable do something antisocial and against the norm of DL, DLers would say that they would die en masse from this and that. Well, I still don't see the decimation of the deplorable just yet after so many stupid and reckless mass gatherings during the pandemic peak. Probably a wishful thinking of the snowflakes, just like that of the conviction of Trump.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2021 2:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2021 2:43 PM

[quote]Only 29 percent of Mississippians are fully vaccinated against COVID-19

I don’t see the problem. They’ll either get COVID and recover and have some immunity, or they’ll die. As long as the rest of us are vaccinated, it won’t affect us.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2021 2:45 PM

The problem is that every time the virus replicates, there is the chance that it will mutate into something more resistant to the vaccines. The MAGAts letting the virus replicate in them are a problem for us.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2021 2:47 PM

Ignorant much r24?

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2021 2:58 PM

r16 Interesting that Asians (in US) have significantly much higher vac %s than other ethnicities. Is it cultural or proclivity for higher education (esp science)? Do AAs' lower vac % related to Tuskegee "experiment"?

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2021 3:09 PM

[quote] you know that every single person on that list is a Democrat.

30% of whites in Mississippi are not Democrats (alas, I live among these knuckle draggers)

In 2020, 41% of the state went for Biden - while 38% of the state is African-American.

I saw a breakdown once in 2008 -- only about 7% of white men voted for Obama, maybe 9% of white women.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2021 3:18 PM

Oops, R16! You weren't supposed to reveal those stats. It spoils OP's narrative that it was "deplorables"' that weren't vaccinated. The truth is Mississippi has one of the highest percentages of black populations of the 50 states, and they are hardly deplorables.

Of course, racist OP probably knew that.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2021 3:29 PM

The townfolk used to call me Missy Sissy. But I'd say, 'The dogs bark but the caravan rolls on' *snap*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2021 4:00 PM

Sometimes, you just need to hit the reset button.

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2021 4:01 PM

The unvacinated numbers are highest among black and Latinos in Mississippi. Rural areas have been less cooperative. There has been extensive outreach to all areas of the state. Mobile units, pharmacies in small towns, health centers in each county, have vaccine available.

The narrative that black and Latinos residents have less access and priority is nonsense.

Yes, there are white MAGA and anti-vaxxers refusing the shots. That is evident most everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2021 4:17 PM

Cue Nelson Muntz, deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2021 4:17 PM

Most a these unvaccinated people are probably black who voted for Biden, so you put your fucking overused "deplorable" label back in the draw where it belongs.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2021 4:25 PM

I thought that The South Will Rise Again?

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2021 4:25 PM

It will. In Covid deaths.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2021 4:43 PM

[quote] Most a these unvaccinated people

Oh, dear!

[quote]so you put your fucking overused "deplorable" label back in the draw where it belongs.

Oh, DEAR!

An illiterate magat. Who would’ve thought?

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2021 4:56 PM

Religion is also at fault here. I bet if the pastor or whatever they're called encouraged all of these people to get vaccinated, they'd all do it in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2021 4:58 PM

The lates national figures from the CDC:

Asian: 59%

White: 45%

Hispanic: 36%

Black : 32%

The group with the most vaccine hesitancy is the Dem's most loyal voting block.

And the idea that access to the vaccine is somehow difficult is bullshit.

But keep talking about the "deplorables".

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2021 5:06 PM

R34 the 70% unvaccinated whites are black Biden voters? That's some trick.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2021 5:06 PM

[quote]Interesting that Asians (in US) have significantly much higher vac %s than other ethnicities. Is it cultural or proclivity for higher education (esp science)?

Yes, it’s both. They are better-educated and more intelligent. But they are also more submissive to authority… so if the government says people should get vaccinated, they will do it.

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2021 5:10 PM

[quote]They will turn Delta into something even more deadly.

We’re not deadly. We just slide off a runway every now and then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2021 5:29 PM

R38...Yes, the bible belt. They don't lean towards facts and science. Religion is huge.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2021 5:47 PM

I'm not surprised African Americans are not getting the vaccine. Kamala and Joe both told them not to when they were running.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2021 6:08 PM

It's not that people mistrust science. That is such a common misperception from liberals about conservatives. It's that many people don't trust the PEOPLE BEHIND THE SCIENCE not to lie or be politically motivated in their proclamations. COVID was totally politicized on both ends of the spectrum, and that is fact. And it's not just Republicans who don't trust the people behind the science, but plenty of minorities who vote Democrat as well. The Tuskegee experiments are still justifiably fresh in the minds of many African American people.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2021 6:18 PM

I live down in Memphis, TN and since that's close to parts of Mississippi and Arkansas I wear a mask in public and use hand sanitizer. I'm not antisocial nor reclusive by nature at all but I still stay cautious. Memphis is almost exclusively blue in an otherwise red state but there's obviously no way to tell who's from either Arkansas or Mississippi or an antivaxer just by looking at them.

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2021 6:29 PM

R45 is correct. It's the AA population that isn't getting vaccinated.

In NOLA last month, my very nosy partner, a health care worker, was randomly asking locals we'd meet (all black) if they had received or were planning to receive their shots and every last one of them said no.

And unfortunately, I'm sure every single one of those locals is a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2021 6:36 PM

Let's look at actual math here, morons. Using the following data, tell me which group is larger.

White: 55% unvaccinated out of a population of 234,370,202 = 128,903,611 unvaccinated white people

Black : 68% unvaccinated out of a population of 37,144,530 = 25,258,280 unvaccinated black people

I bet even deplorable idiots in Mississippi can figure out which number is bigger. Well, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2021 6:51 PM

Is there any chance to parachute supplies of Fentanyl into the state to take care of any stragglers COVID fails to finish off?

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2021 6:54 PM

r48, you're trying to manipulate the data to fit your narrative. Yes, in terms of raw numbers, more White people than Black people remain unvaccinated. But the true story lies in the percentages, with a significant percentage of Black people unvaccinated compared with White people.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2021 6:57 PM

R16 That’s good, crunchy data. Happy to see that Travis County is 63% one shot and 53% fully vaxxed, though those numbers should be higher.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2021 7:06 PM

WHITES!

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2021 7:19 PM

R48. You’re trying to manipulate data. I’ve stated my boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2021 7:21 PM

[quote]I'm not surprised African Americans are not getting the vaccine. Kamala and Joe both told them not to when they were running.

Nope. Kamala said that she would gladly take the vaccine once Dr. Fauci said that it was safe to do so… which he did last December.

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2021 7:24 PM

Black people in MS are not getting the vax bc as a whole, they do not trust the people/system that want them to get it. In fact, most of them hold a deep mistrust doctors/hospitals too. Most of them aren’t organ donors bc they believe if they’re an organ donor & they get sick, the hospital will let them die so that their organs can go to a white person. Yes, I’m in healthcare & yes, I bc work in the Delta. Those of you that think this is about democrats/republicans are simpletons, bless your hearts

by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote]Black people in MS are not getting the vax bc as a whole, they do not trust the people/system that want them to get it.

Which is perfectly fine because they’re black.

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2021 7:28 PM

Actually you're both right; you do need to evaluate both absolutes & %s. In this particular case, unvac whites outnumber unvac AAs by >5X in MS. But the high vac hesitancy % of AAs also is a contributing factor.

by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2021 7:30 PM

[quote]Actually you're both right

I’m right?

by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2021 7:33 PM

Shameful.

by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2021 8:32 PM

[quote] I live down in Memphis, TN and since that's close to parts of Mississippi and Arkansas I wear a mask in public and use hand sanitizer.

Why did you get vaccinated, then? Doesn’t your vaccine work?

by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2021 9:17 PM

[quote]Why did you get vaccinated, then? Doesn’t your vaccine work?

"Nearly a third of the new Israeli cases in the past week have been vaccinated individuals, and many of the new infections are with the delta variant."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 23, 2021 9:27 PM

R60, he either thinks the vaccine doesn’t work against Delta (it does), or he doesn’t understand how to evaluate risk.

[quote] Black people in MS are not getting the vax bc as a whole, they do not trust the people/system that want them to get it. In fact, most of them hold a deep mistrust doctors/hospitals too. Most of them aren’t organ donors bc they believe if they’re an organ donor & they get sick, the hospital will let them die so that their organs can go to a white person.

Do they think that when people go to get vaccinated, there is a separate container for “black vaccines” and “non-black vaccines”? Because we’re all getting the same vaccines. If this was some government eugenics plot, it would have revealed itself by now. Enough Black people HAVE gotten vaccinated for the holdouts to safely access the situation.

It’s utterly retarded conspiracy thinking. Makes zero sense.

by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2021 9:36 PM

*safely assess the situation

by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2021 9:37 PM

It's not surprising that ethnic minorities in MS distrust taking a vaccine.

Let's face it the whole apparatus of government is and has been against them for decades.

No wonder they distrust the vaccine if they distrust their state government.

by Anonymousreply 64June 23, 2021 9:43 PM

Damn, the fucking excuses. ^^ Just disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 65June 23, 2021 9:47 PM

Successful public health programs need to be authoritative, consistent, trustworthy and accountable. You can't go around weaponizing public health for political reasons. Trump really, really fucked the Covid effort up in ways that may never be fixed.

The Black community, unfortuantely, doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of reason to trust either the medical establishment or government public health authorities. Other Americans may have forgotten about atrocities like the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment and forced sterilization, or never learned about them in the first place, but African Americans sure as hell know all about it.

by Anonymousreply 66June 23, 2021 9:50 PM

Duterte is amoral, murderous psychopath - and even he understands that mass vaccination is necessary to curb COVID.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 23, 2021 9:52 PM

[quote]Do they think that when people go to get vaccinated, there is a separate container for “black vaccines” and “non-black vaccines”? Because we’re all getting the same vaccines.

Who knows what they’re thinking. Blacks have higher rates of almost every disease than other ethnic groups. They die at much higher rates of diseases that are preventable or can be treated if dealt with early. Their “distrust” of the medical establishment isn’t working out well for them. But then they blame “systemic racism” as the cause of why they die at high rates of entirely preventable and treatable diseases. It’s never their own responsibility to take care of their health.

by Anonymousreply 68June 23, 2021 9:55 PM

[Quote] Interesting that Asians (in US) have significantly much higher vac %s than other ethnicities.

Because they’re not fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 69June 23, 2021 10:34 PM

[Quote] Blacks have higher rates of almost every disease than other ethnic groups. They die at much higher rates of diseases that are preventable or can be treated if dealt with early. Their “distrust” of the medical establishment isn’t working out well for them. But then they blame “systemic racism” as the cause of why they die at high rates of entirely preventable and treatable diseases.

If the diseases are preventable, what could be the reasons they’re not being prevented in black people? Could it be that smoke spewing industries, bus depots, and sanitation sites are opened in black neighborhoods? Could it be that you can’t find good food stores in black neighborhoods? Could it be that schools are underfunded? Could it be lead in the water of black neighborhoods? Factory spillage? Lack of doctors and hospitals in their neighborhoods? Red states didn’t expand Medicaid and made Medicaid very difficult to qualify for.

Having a poor, disenfranchised population is a societal choice. Stop blaming the victims

by Anonymousreply 70June 23, 2021 10:39 PM

[Quote] It’s never their own responsibility to take care of their health.

So did you blame your dad for his heart attack and mom for her cancer? It’s was their responsibility after all

by Anonymousreply 71June 23, 2021 10:40 PM

[Quote] Do they think that when people go to get vaccinated, there is a separate container for “black vaccines” and “non-black vaccines”?

Would you blame them? In the not so distant past, we have black water fountains and white water fountains. Blacks were told they were getting treated for syphilis when in fact they were given placebo and studied instead. They were euthanized when told they had genital problems. They were operated on without anesthesia.

You see, blacks have constantly been told one thing, when the truth is something completely different

by Anonymousreply 72June 23, 2021 10:42 PM

Fuck off R72.

by Anonymousreply 73June 23, 2021 10:45 PM

R37 doesn't have the credentials to be bigoted. "Oh, dear", is as far his sheltered existence can take him.

by Anonymousreply 74June 23, 2021 10:52 PM

R73, poor thing. can’t deal with the truth

by Anonymousreply 75June 23, 2021 10:53 PM

You’ll hear the “truth” when Republicans win next year and in 24. And it’ll be DeSantis. You’ll hear that “truth” loud and clear—poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 76June 23, 2021 10:56 PM

Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 77June 23, 2021 11:00 PM

Blacks also are less likely to have a favorable outcome if they do get Covid. Blacks have a higher percentage of jobs where you have to face the public in person. If I was a bus driver or saw customers at the post office all day long, I’d take anything they could give me. Not because I thought it was perfect, but because it was better than nothing.

Blacks saying, Covid is an acceptable risk, but getting a vaccine isn’t, is no different than Qanon followers saying it. Both groups will end up getting Covid and spreading it to vulnerable people. Viruses aren’t some unknown thing that’s never happened before. People know how measles works, it’s a contagious disease and if somebody with it breathes on you and you’re not vaccinated, you could get it. So why is this different? Do blacks refuse to get measles vaccinations because white people are trying to kill them with measles vaccines? Sounds to me like blacks are listening to Qanon vaccine conspiracy propaganda so they won’t get the vaccine. The Tuskegee Experiment ended fifty years ago, Putin is flooding the internet with vaccine propaganda right now.

by Anonymousreply 78June 23, 2021 11:05 PM

R60 I trust the vaccines and quite selfishly hope I'm in the clear but I'm not taking any chances in public. I'm looking forward to the boosters. The South has things a great deal differently in regard to their overall Covid-19 response as well as the vaccines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 23, 2021 11:05 PM

Good news indeed. Praise the Lord.

by Anonymousreply 80June 23, 2021 11:08 PM

Blacks are so racist they will only get the vaccine if some black pastor tells them to do it. They are certainly not going to listen to some whitey like Dr. Fauci who acts like he's some expert on viruses.

by Anonymousreply 81June 23, 2021 11:20 PM

Every convenience has been made for anyone who wanted a vaccine to have it; it's free, late, and early morning hours at sites, free rides to and from sites, loads of information about how and when the shots were available. Anyone still refusing to be vaccinated, excepting those who for LEGITIMATE medical reasons cannot, should be forced to surrender their right to any kind of health care related to catching Covid. Why should health care workers put their own lives at risk to treat them? Why should hospitals be overrun by them, meaning people with medical issues NOT of their own making cannot access care. Fuck them. I hope they die in droves, and I will happily pitchfork their fetid, bloated corpses into a plague pit in a potter's field. I have no humanity left at all for MAGAts.

by Anonymousreply 82June 23, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote]I have no humanity left at all for MAGAts.

And blacks. But you wouldn’t dare say that. Too woke.

by Anonymousreply 83June 23, 2021 11:34 PM

Black, white, purple - I don't give a shit. Get the fucking vaccine, idiots. I know there are historical reasons why black people don't trust the medical establishment, but millions upon millions of white people have already gotten the vaccine and nothing has happened to them. So seriously, get the fuck over it.

by Anonymousreply 84June 23, 2021 11:40 PM

Have the gays been getting the vaccine? I heard that if you have a compromised immune system or if you're on immunosuppressants, the vaccine is not very effective.

by Anonymousreply 85June 24, 2021 12:10 AM

It didn't help that Black people were given Johnson and Johnson vaccine and that's the one that turned out to be clotty

by Anonymousreply 86June 24, 2021 12:15 AM

[quote]Have the gays been getting the vaccine? I heard that if you have a compromised immune system or if you're on immunosuppressants, the vaccine is not very effective

Oh because of the gay cancer?

by Anonymousreply 87June 24, 2021 12:17 AM

[quote[It didn't help that Black people were given Johnson and Johnson vaccine and that's the one that turned out to be clotty

What about black Republicans who refuse the vaccine? How do you feel about them? Sympathetic?

by Anonymousreply 88June 24, 2021 12:18 AM

Putin is happy to kill off hundreds of thousands of Americans with his internet propaganda, but why should we listen to him? He’s sitting there rubbing his hands together with glee, celebrating what a genius he is for helping to kill 600,000 Americans without firing a shot and having plausible deniability. Where do you think Trump got the idea? He was Putin’s lackey, and he’s never had an original thought in his life.

by Anonymousreply 89June 24, 2021 12:19 AM

[quote] Interesting that Asians (in US) have significantly much higher vac %s than other ethnicities.

[quote] Because they’re not fucking stupid.

They even wear masks without someone having to fucking force them to!

by Anonymousreply 90June 24, 2021 12:29 AM

[quote] What about black Republicans who refuse the vaccine? How do you feel about them? Sympathetic?

I hate all seven of them.

by Anonymousreply 91June 24, 2021 12:32 AM

And those black people, who R91 just loves so much, would all unanimously vote against gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 92June 24, 2021 12:39 AM

R91, there’s only six now. Herman Cain is dead.

by Anonymousreply 93June 24, 2021 1:11 AM

Some people (by no means all) are reluctant to take the vaccine because it’s not yet been fully vetted and approved by the government.

So far, it’s only earned emergency use authorization. The long term risks (which could or more likely could not) be greater than Covid for some people, haven’t been sufficiently determined for standard governments approval: which is why they make you sign disclaimers to get vaccinated.

I thought the gamble was worth it, and, over time, have been SMH at those who still don’t. But I don’t think they’re all stupid - just scared and misguided.

Blame our crumbling inner city educational system. . . Trump . . .

by Anonymousreply 94June 24, 2021 5:07 AM

R94, people saying that are liars. They also don't know what they are talking about. Full approval is basically just a procedural stamp at this point.

[quote]According to the Kaiser Family Foundation's latest vaccine monitor report, nearly a third -- 32% -- of unvaccinated adults are waiting for full FDA approval of a vaccine before getting it.

These people will just find another excuse. They are ignorant. People who refuse to get vaccinated should be kept locked up under quarantine while the rest of us go about our lives. That is the only way these morons will learn. They must be treated like toddlers because that's their intellectual capacity. But, yeah, I'm sure they've diligently studied the minute bureaucratic differences between emergency use authorization and full approval and those differences, which the experts say are non-existent in this case, are driving their decision. I'm sure the overlap with Trumpanzee political leanings and tin hat wearing is just coincidental.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 24, 2021 6:07 AM

I totally get why blacks might be wary after Tuskagee, but come on. This is a totally different situation. It's just an excuse at this point. And a weak one at that. Time to buck up and get the shot!

by Anonymousreply 96June 24, 2021 6:31 AM

If the “minute” differences are “non-existent” there would be no reason to force to recipients sign a waiver.

by Anonymousreply 97June 24, 2021 9:05 AM

[quote] Time to buck up and get the shot!

Unfortunate use of the word buck.

by Anonymousreply 98June 24, 2021 11:18 AM

What motivates people to do things? People who look like them or people they want to be.

One solution is then blacks talking to blacks. This is a moment for the Obamas to step forward, as an example, and Magic Johnson and any other number of prominent, successful, trusted black leaders. Even what's left of Oprah's reputation might help. And whoever said black church leaders was absolutely right. It doesn't matter the reasons, it doesn't matter the irrationality... this is the situation, this is the reality and the outcome we all need is more people vaccinated - maximum people vaccinated - for obvious reasons.

by Anonymousreply 99June 24, 2021 11:38 AM

Watch this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 24, 2021 11:45 AM

And this.

Mississippi whites overwhelming support the GOP, though there are pockets of DEM-voting whites in Mississippi, usually the better educated.

Plenty of non-college educated whites in Mississippi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 24, 2021 12:04 PM

Let's do what the Chinese do. Wall them up in their apartments.

by Anonymousreply 102June 24, 2021 12:54 PM

[quote]What about black Republicans

Let’s see, there’s: Clarence Thomas, Tim Scott, Ben Carson, Condaleeza Rice, Lil Wayne. Any others??

by Anonymousreply 103June 24, 2021 2:07 PM

Another "M" state feeling the heat:

As the U.S. emerges from the COVID-19 crisis, Missouri is becoming a cautionary tale for the rest of the country: It is seeing an alarming rise in cases because of a combination of the fast-spreading delta variant and stubborn resistance among many people to getting vaccinated.

Intensive care beds are filling up with surprisingly young, unvaccinated patients, and staff members are getting burned out fighting a battle that was supposed to be in its final throes. The hope among some health leaders is that the rest of the U.S. might at least learn something from Missouri’s plight.

The state now leads the nation with the highest rate of new COVID-19 infections, and the surge is happening largely in a politically conservative farming region in the northern part of the state and in the southwestern corner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 24, 2021 2:33 PM

[quote]Doesn’t your vaccine work?

New study finds "significant" immune evasion with Delta.

Summary: The Delta variant has significant immune evasion and fitness compared to Alpha. Vaccines will prevent severe disease/death in *most* people, but special measures may be needed for those who respond poorly to vaccination. Infection in vaccinated HCWs needs to be considered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 24, 2021 3:08 PM

Honestly, I really don't see how it'll be that bad in rural places where you don't see other people for days and days. Covid spread in thickly populated areas with lots of through-travel. This does not describe Mississippi at all.

And because there is no God, it will be poor Black people who suffer. The comparatively richer white Mississippians will be fine.

by Anonymousreply 106June 24, 2021 3:21 PM

[quote] Vaccines will prevent severe disease/death in *most* people,

Exactly. So what’s the issue?

And by “most,” we’re talking 90th percentile.

by Anonymousreply 107June 24, 2021 3:38 PM

[quote]Exactly. So what’s the issue?

Unvaccinated people who get mild or asymptomatic cases of covid can have complications months later. Will that happen with vaccinated individuals who get it? We don't know.

by Anonymousreply 108June 24, 2021 3:43 PM

R106 -- the rural South is rife with poorly educated white peckerwoods.

(If you don't know the term, look it up.)

They are the reason the South shifted dramatically from blue to red from the mid-'60s --> today.

by Anonymousreply 109June 24, 2021 3:51 PM

AP: Nearly all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. now are in people who weren’t vaccinated, a staggering demonstration of how effective the shots have been and an indication that deaths per day — now down to under 300 — could be practically zero if everyone eligible got the vaccine.

An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 853,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 0.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.

(Only about 45 states report breakthrough infections, and some are more aggressive than others in looking for such cases. So the data probably understates such infections, CDC officials said.)

by Anonymousreply 110June 24, 2021 3:55 PM

I hope the Delta variant goes all Delta force on those fucking Repugnicans. Mississippi Masala, indeed. Don’t fuck with India.

by Anonymousreply 111June 24, 2021 3:57 PM

I'm a native Mississippian, (live in Massachusetts now, by way of New York, but was born and raised in rural Mississippi).... I can assure people here that it isn't "deplorables". There is a great deal of apprehension about these vaccines and yeah, it's unfortunate and not well justified. But it isn't just Trump supporters. (and could we PLEASE stop referring to all rural white people as "deplorables"? I'm so fucking over that.)

Mississippi is our poorest state, always has been. Like, since inception. There may be other pockets of poverty in America but Mississippi has always been last in everything positive, and first in everything negative. And that's due to a lot of factors, not least of which is the prevailing politics of the state and a poor job by its elected leaders. But it's also the people . Most people here forget that rural America has it's own culture too. Both black, white and native American. Mississippi is home to a lot of indigenous people who don't use it as something to brand or market. And an old culture like that, full of various flavors of Christianity along with a distrust of many East Coast institutions and principles, (not all totally unfounded), it creates a perfect storm of both fear and naiveté.

In the same way most of us here would give deference to the apprehension of the black community back east or in the innercities of America, you forget that rural areas have their own hang-ups, and it isn't always, like some people here would have you believe, due to partisan politics. Lighten up on these people. Feel pity for them. They're being careless, maybe even stupid. But it isn't out of any intention or to offend your favorite politician. While some of it may be the Trumpster types, that isn't what it's all about. Mississippi needs your help and understanding, maybe even pity, not your run-on, decades old, incessant snark and classist mockery.

by Anonymousreply 112June 24, 2021 4:13 PM

Thank you, R112. Beautifully said. And let’s not forget, there are no doubt a lot of WELL-HUNG Missourians with Irish-Scots heritage.

by Anonymousreply 113June 24, 2021 4:39 PM

Deplorables and ignorant blacks, a hot mess combination for sure.

R112 is full of shit, I'm nextdoor in Louisiana and it's the same here, it's just politics and ignorance, give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 114June 24, 2021 4:44 PM

r46, I'm in Memphis too. I'm still being cautious when I go out. I also have to go into Mississippi a few times a month for work. I haven't been inside anywhere in MS other than the workplace since March of 2020.

by Anonymousreply 115June 24, 2021 5:26 PM

What's the vaccination rate for the City of Memphis? Couldn't be that much better than Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 116June 24, 2021 5:38 PM

R106, read R104's link about rural Missouri to see that you are wrong about it not spreading in more spread out, rural areas.

R97, you have to sign a waiver for all vaccinations and medical procedures. This is the most litigious society in the world. You sign a waiver for everything. You'll have to sign one after full approval, too. Did you even bother to read the article I linked to where it explains that full approval is, at this point, a procedural exercise? Of course you didn't.

by Anonymousreply 117June 24, 2021 6:09 PM

R112,

[quote] I'm a native Mississippian, (live in Massachusetts now, by way of New York, but was born and raised in rural Mississippi)

Sorry to stray off topic, but my curiosity got the best of me. You’ve lived in three different states that all have a distinctive accent. Do you still have your southern accent?

by Anonymousreply 118June 24, 2021 6:52 PM

I don't think this thread is going the way OP hoped.

by Anonymousreply 119June 24, 2021 7:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!