Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Live like a "Private Sanitation" Heiress in this Brooklyn Abode

All for just $6.2M.

As someone who group up in the neighborhood, the only good thing I can say is that there's a firehouse about four blocks away, so take a walk over to stare at the hot firemen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 25, 2021 6:20 AM

grew* up

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2021 6:22 AM

The outside is surprisingly nice. The inside -- well, the less said, the better.

Is the owner an Orthodox Jew? Is that why there are two kitchens?

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2021 8:29 AM

it has a very dated decor, though the bones are fab.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2021 8:54 AM

r2, probably Italian. Dyker Heights has a very Italian population and many Italians have two kitchens.

by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2021 11:38 AM

Actually, r2, from public records, the owner may be Greek. The listing agent appears to be Greek as well...family?

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2021 11:44 AM

But 6 million is insane. No one is paying 6M to live there. If I were paying that much to live anywhere around there, I'd just go to Shore Road and have a view of the water.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2021 3:16 PM

Who is going to pay 6 million dollars in dyker heights???

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2021 3:19 PM

Insane, I know ^

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2021 3:27 PM

And BTW, for anyone unfamiliar with the area, it is absolute hell to live there for about 6 weeks around Christmas. It's a tourist destination. The traffic is hell on earth. Thousands and thousands of people, tour buses, police. Crazy.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2021 3:30 PM

I’d guess Italians lived here if I didn’t know better.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2021 3:33 PM

Since you know better, r10, who do you think lives there?

I looked at the immediate neighborhood on Street View, and saw that this is part of a cluster of large houses built in 1995. Had there been smaller houses there that were torn down to make room for these monstrosities?

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2021 3:36 PM

What makes it touristy? Christmas lights?

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2021 3:42 PM

Nice landscaping and pool.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2021 3:44 PM

Yes. "Dyker Lights" Christmas

Tourists from around the world who've already seen Rockefeller, want something different. It's crazy. It's a very quiet neighborhood and then it just becomes packed with thousands and the traffic is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2021 3:45 PM

I was asking "what is going on?" in nearly every room. What is going on with that stairwell? What is going on with that narrow window? What is going on with that archway? The bedrooms are so tiny, I don't understand what lead up to this house being this way.

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2021 3:50 PM

"Private Sanitation" Heiress = Meadow Soprano = Italian

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2021 3:52 PM

Not as tacky as I expected.

In my experience, the Mediterranean types have two kitchens. One is for show and preparing things like coffee and snacks and lunches. The other is a workplace, where the smelly, messy food is prepared. We had Portuguese neighbors who used their basement kitchen to slaughter and prepare rabbits and fry fish. It was very utilitarian, with a huge porcelain slop sink with two basins and a high faucet. Big stock pots and the like. The upstairs kitchen was all doilies and pretty pottery.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2021 4:40 PM

So I'm guessing the sanitation trucks stopped at the house on their way to the dump, so see what the heiress needed.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2021 5:01 PM

Almost as bad as I expected.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2021 5:24 PM

A friend grew up across the street from this garish pile. I saw his family's home in one of the pictures (white Victorian).

Dyker Heights is heavily Italian-American, and several reputed gangsters lived/live there. Dr. Fauci grew up there. His father's pharmacy is two blocks or so down from this house. The next block over is the street that regularly appears on newscasts at Christmas with all the neighbors outdoing themselves in lights and decorations.

I know the neighborhood well. My grandmother lived a couple of blocks away. She and my grandfather bought the home in 1934. It was set on a hill with a garage at street level with access to basement (like the one at OP). The people who bought it after her death in the early 1990s tore the house down and built a garish monstrosity (a temple to marble and brick) in its place.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2021 6:20 PM

R20, and the the price they're asking is insane.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2021 7:09 PM

-the*

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2021 7:09 PM

R21, I completely agree, but prices here in the the Northeast are insane. When I see the prices of a large home with acreage around the US and prices in New York, California, or New Jersey (where I live now), my mind boggles.

There is no property to this house. One of the pictures of the side of the house (with the grill, aka outdoor stove and oven) abuts the neighbor's home.

My grandmother's house (two blocks over between the same cross avenues) had a nice backyard, front and side yards with grass that were perfect for kids to run around. Now, all these goombahs are bricking , marbling, and cementing everything up!

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2021 7:29 PM

HA, believe me, I know, R23.

I grew up in Brooklyn, too. I'm saying even for Dyker H., that price is crazy. 3-4M tops.

No one is paying that much to live in that house. Like I said earlier, if it were like Shore Road, I could understand. The houses there are much nicer and you've got the views, but that price is just crazy. If I'm being honest, the only people who would pay that much are probably Chinese and they'll immediately put on those steel fences. I'm sure the realtor has been told not to sell to them.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2021 7:35 PM

[quote]Plus, they were all married to girls named Marie. And they named all their daughters Marie.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2021 7:42 PM

Yes, R24, I agree. That part of Bay Ridge between 83rd and 79th and up to Colonial Road might fetch that price. Still, someone will shell out the bucks for it

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2021 7:46 PM

Fancy!!! But I never hate this kind of taste. I just want it to have better colors and fabrics. The ersatz lux can remain.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2021 8:37 PM

We're VERY offended by the name of the neighborhood and would like to file for an immediate and substantive cancellation.

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2021 8:59 PM

You'd think they would hire a home stager given what they're asking? Horrid wall paint throughout with the exception of what I think is the basement living room, dated main kitchen, cluttered living areas, to say nothing of that dining room.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2021 9:02 PM

As noted above, they could have filmed The Sopranos here. The place screams Italian Mafia.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2021 9:07 PM

I love the "showy" parts of the house, dated and tacky ik, but its my type of dated and tacky.

The bedrooms and the I guess "living" parts of the house are hideous tho, and the christian iconography as decoration screams "mediterranean catholic".

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2021 9:11 PM

I thought the outside looked nice but then the interior gave me the vapours. How can people live like this? Its so fancy and overdone. How do you clean it?

Two kitchens is fairly common for people who like to entertain or do a lot of preserving and jam making. My current house has a huge garden, the old couple that built the house just lived for making preserves from the garden and entertaining, and I knocked out the second kitchen to make a large dining room. As far as I know they were snooty protestants, it was a vacant possession sale but I found photos and documents of theirs in the cellar.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2021 9:14 PM

I'm not sure this link will work, but this was the lot in the Tax Photo Census that was taken between 1939-1941.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2021 9:17 PM

You guys got me curious about Shore Road and this monstrosity was revealed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2021 12:34 AM

LOL, R34. I'm embarrassed to admit I know the owner. One of the sons is really good friends with a relative.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2021 12:38 AM

R34 I adore it. It's a mini palace. Are they a nice family?

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2021 12:40 AM

The dad owns a ton of dealerships. I actually got a deal on my car because of my cousin's relationship. I don't know them well, but my cousin has been friends with them for years.

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2021 12:45 AM

The island bench in the kitchen has four portholes in it?

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2021 12:54 AM

R33, thanks...I found the house I grew up in (1990, when my parents still lived there and in 1940...Wow), my grandmother's home (1990 when she was still alive and in 1940 when my Mom and her siblings were kids), and the house where my Dad grew up (1940). R34, my bet is that they're Greeks. I know the property. R35, are they Greeks?

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2021 1:01 AM

It's like if Carmela Soprano was inspired by Versailles.

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2021 3:16 AM

Taxes $2,200/mo.? That's about the yearly rate in my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2021 3:26 AM

This photo says it all. The lots are so tiny. Unlike the original house, they build on every square foot of the lot. You can walk from your deck through the second floor window of your neighbor's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2021 4:18 AM

Ohhh, it's real klassy

reminds me Teresa Giudice's mansion - not that place was loaded with good taste

by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2021 4:31 AM

Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens... it is fairly common to find a second kitchen in basement. Growing up back in the day our house, both grandmothers, countless aunts, and homes of school friends had second kitchens down there. Italian, Irish, German, Blacks.... Everyone did it.

For one thing in days before air conditioning became common many housewives preferred cooking in basement because it was naturally cooler. Our house had entire second dining/living area down there so that's usually were we at during summer. Also on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas the second kitchen can handle over flow.

It's not just a NYC thing either. New Jersey, Conn, Philly, etc...

Many homes have totally finished basements with those second kitchens that can (and often do) become apartments. Homeowners rent them out, or it becomes the apartment for a adult son or daughter that lives at home.

by Anonymousreply 44June 24, 2021 4:40 AM

Wow, the old house at r33's link is MUCH nicer than the monstrosity there now. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2021 7:51 AM

Homes on either side of that for sale in OP link well as up and down that block are all new. Nearly all the homes from before WWII have been torn down and lots redeveloped.

Just use address from linked house for sale to search Goggle street maps.

Curb cuts, driveways and garages were kept obviously, though they usually were redone when property was redeveloped.

These tear downs of old homes and building new that take up nearly entire lot isn't new, nor limited to Italians or whoever in Dyker Heights.. In Bayridge, Bensonhurst, Flushing and other areas of Queens and Brooklyn Asians (mostly Chinese) have been tearing down old homes and putting up lot sized mansions for years now. In an area of Queens it is some Eastern European Jews (IIRC) who are doing same. The locals aren't always thrilled, but zoning allows so there isn't anything city can do to stop it from happening. Only way to truly put an end to that sort of thing is to change zoning.

by Anonymousreply 46June 24, 2021 9:26 AM

This house has 3 kitchens inside and probably has a 4th more or less by the pool.

by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2021 10:36 AM

When I was growing up in the suburbs, even modest middle class houses of Italians had 3 kitchens. 1 on main floor. 1 in basement, and 1 outside for the father.

by Anonymousreply 48June 24, 2021 10:38 AM

I actually dont mind it, apart from all the can lights. Flatmate has said though that I have "Greek" taste when it comes to interiors and such

House was built in 1995, and it could have been far worse. It isnt really quite my thing, but I dont found it objectionable generally. I would have dialled back the marble though, and added my ornate gilt trim

by Anonymousreply 49June 24, 2021 12:16 PM

R39, Italian.

by Anonymousreply 50June 24, 2021 3:22 PM

"Private Sanitation" means they collect garbage from business. NYC Sanitation does residences. Years ago, Tom's was a junk yard in East New York, now his business is "Recycling."

by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2021 3:31 PM

Checking Property Records, until 1992 a two-and-half story Victorian with wrap-around front porch stood at 1151 83rd Street, owned by an Italian. In '92 bought by a Greek who built the current McMansion in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2021 3:49 PM

R52, I was referring to the owner of the house on Shore Road that R34 linked to. They are Italian.

by Anonymousreply 53June 24, 2021 4:34 PM

By law DSNY (read NYC) has right to collect all trash placed out on city streets. This is well, because city owns said streets.

Private carting companies have licenses to collect refuse from commercial and or industrial establishments of all sorts including but not limited to supermarkets, office buildings, shops, grocery stores, bars, restaurants, etc.....

There is just no way city could cope with trash collection otherwise. There's just too much of it generated on a daily basis for DSNY to cope. Keep in mind DSNY also sweeps/cleans streets, deals with recycling, picks up trash in parks and along city streets, and other things.

by Anonymousreply 54June 25, 2021 6:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!