Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Republicans blocked the Voting Rights Act.

No Republican voted for the Voting Rights Act.

Remember, we had the Voting Rights Act, until John Roberts struck it down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2021 2:10 AM

Chief Justice Roberts “Had It In for the Voting Rights Act”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2021 2:38 AM

How can they block it if they don't have a majority?

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2021 2:41 AM

I think they need 60 votes for it to pass.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2021 2:44 AM

i am posting article with this information

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2021 2:46 AM

Advocacy groups and activists expressed disgust with Republicans for obstructing the reforms. Stephany Spaulding, a spokesperson for Just Democracy, said: “Senate Republicans’ filibuster circus today was shameful, and a direct attack on the millions of Black and Brown Americans who this broken body denied equal voting rights.

She added: “It is equally shameful that a handful of Senate Democrats turned their backs on the very people who elected them, and permitted Republicans to use the Jim Crow filibuster to inhibit progress on equal voting rights, instead of eliminating this procedure.”

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2021 2:47 AM

Thank you R3.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2021 2:48 AM

this is why there is discussion about getting rid of the filibuster.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2021 2:51 AM

Where’s the infrastructure bill? Is Biden still touring the country and promoting it? Not sure why he needed to do that…

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2021 2:58 AM

Last week, Manchin proposed a compromise bill that would make voter registration automatic, set Election Day as a holiday, require at least 15 days of early voting for federal elections and prohibit partisan gerrymandering, but also require voter IDs with several ways to prove an individual’s identity, which many Democrats oppose.

Obama has announced (yes obama) that we should do it. Voter ID is controversial, though having something like this may get a few Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2021 3:05 AM

manchin and sinema shouldn't be able to leave their homes without people screaming at them

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2021 3:18 AM

Perhaps if they didn't frame it as a fight for black votes and instead framed it as a fight for all Americans voters, it might have passed. I mean, its not only black people effected but this.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2021 3:21 AM

It’s working.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2021 3:22 AM

Fucking republicans. What is the point of having a majority in the Senate if we can't get landmark legislation passed?

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2021 3:25 AM

The US requires every able bodied male to register for the Selective Service System within 30 days of turning 18. If the US can do this for military purposes, why can't it do it for democratic ones? In fact, just add voter registration to the Selective Service registration process and it's half done.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2021 3:26 AM

Sure R11. 🙄

What color is the fucking sky in your world??

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2021 3:27 AM

[R14] or social security.

How many people do not have an address, a past voting record, Social Security or driver's license/ID? Just give these people a voting card or something.

This is not hard. If you want people to vote, this is easy to fix this issue with this subpopulation.

Moreover, we had a Voting Rights Act, but the republican overturned this law on the US Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2021 3:34 AM

Pass the voting rights act already. This is straightforward legislation that needs to pass to protect our DEMOCRACY.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2021 3:38 AM

Dems gonna have to find another way to steal the next election now.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2021 3:46 AM

R14, you have to show ID to register, and it is a well known fact that only white people have ID.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2021 3:47 AM

the government is going to have to give voter IDs to people. It will cost more money, but the republicans can finally S T FUCK UP about this. IF people do not have a passport, drivers license/id, then they should get a voter id. How many people in this? I do not know. Cannot be many.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2021 3:56 AM

let's make joe machin head explode, your voter id will be your government guarantee single payer insurance card.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2021 4:02 AM

We’ll vote for the Voting Rights act when it helps 3 old white white people in Wyoming!

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2021 4:30 AM

The filibuster should not be used when voting on whether or not to debate an issue, which is all today's vote was. If the filibuster is used, it should only be used when voting on an actual bill...not the goddamn debate of a bill. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2021 6:49 AM

we really have to get rid of the filibuster, then pass:

- anti fascists and anti military industrial complex bill

-voting rights act

-campaign financial reform

-financial reforms

-universal health care

-etc.

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2021 7:27 AM

these republicans are fucking fascists and fucking sadistic. We are going fall into the dark ages the next time the republicans sweep the elections. We are in serious trouble. We need better laws and institutions to stop this.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2021 7:40 AM

It wasn't even THE BILL they blocked - it was merely DEBATING the bill. They're horrible.

Not even a lowly 10 of them, not even the "good ones," would even vote 'yea' to debate the bill. That does, also, essentially kill the bill but the fact that none of them even voted to go ahead and publicly debate the bill is super fucked up... and depressing.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2021 8:38 AM

R10 Her fellow Arizona Democrat,Senator Mark Kelly, voted more with Trump than KS did. Never forget that fact.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2021 10:19 AM

Mark Kelly was elected in 2020 you gaslighting ass R27!

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2021 11:24 AM

As usual, Democrats overreached on this bill. Election Day does not need to be a national holiday.

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2021 11:28 AM

[quote] As usual, Democrats overreached on this bill. Election Day does not need to be a national holiday.

Yeah. If they removed that, then I am sure the Republicans would have voted for it.

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2021 11:33 AM

What the Democrats need to do is play reverse psychology on the Republicans since all they seem to do is just play Opposite Day with no actual logic for their policies.

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2021 11:39 AM

That's the point of having a debate on the bill, R30. That is what the rePubs refused to do...debate the bill. I'm sick of elected officials not doing their jobs and getting paid well to do so.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2021 11:50 AM

Democratic Fail. Act like Republicans and pass this in any way possible.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2021 11:51 AM

R9 But see...why are do WE have to compromise and they NEVER do?

I mean...I get it but that's some bullshit. And FUCK Manchin. They got to him.

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2021 12:03 PM

I have a question. Why is it that whenever McConnell is Senate majority leader, he himself will nuke the filibuster in order to pack the courts with judges and get other nefarious Republican legislation passed, but Schumer cannot or will not do the same thing? Why can't Schumer just say, ok, this is voting rights we're dealing with here, so as the Senate majority leader, I will strike down the filibuster?

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2021 12:08 PM

Because Manchin and Sinema, r35.

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2021 12:10 PM

Oh, R18... DIAGF.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2021 12:13 PM

R34 & R36, Manchin and Sinema came through yesterday and voted in favor of bringing the bill to the floor.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2021 12:20 PM

Sinema was seen limping down the halls of Congress yesterday, surrounded by reporters and cackling when asked about the filibuster. This woman is evil. Manchin is evil too, but he's also stupid. The two historic Georgia senator wins in January are pretty much nullified by these two assholes. If Schumer had a backbone, he would pull the two of them into a room (along with any other Democrat currently wavering on filibuster reform) and tell them in no uncertain terms that if they do not work with the other Democrats in abolishing the filibuster for voting rights, then they will surely regret it.

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2021 12:23 PM

[quote] Manchin and Sinema came through yesterday and voted in favor of bringing the bill to the floor

Yes, but isn't it all moot because the two of them won't agree to kill the filibuster?

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2021 12:23 PM

[quote] Manchin and Sinema came through yesterday and voted in favor of bringing the bill to the floor.

Manchin and Sinema refuse to kill the filibuster.

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2021 12:26 PM

SINema's constituents were outside of her AZ office in droves yesterday protesting her, and there's a TV ad running there touting how she's failing them. I'm convinced the bitch is a Republican plant. That clip of her on the Senate floor doing her cutesy thumbs down from last year makes my blood boil.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2021 12:37 PM

Any voter rights bill must be accompanied with free voter ID. What kind of crazy honor system is it when you do not need an ID to vote. It is harder to get a library card in this country then it is to vote.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2021 12:52 PM

Republicans will never try to compromise and work with Democrats. It's their way to stop any progress, especially if it would make Democrats look good. That's what they do. They have no solutions....only want to block and oppose. They're worse than a brick wall. At least you can take a sledgehammer to the wall. I'd like to take a sledgehammer to a lot of repub heads...starting with Bitch M.

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2021 12:56 PM

Why doesn't he donate that 2 yards of baby skin under his chin to a burn unit?

Oh I forgot, he's never done anything for anybody.

by Anonymousreply 45June 23, 2021 12:59 PM

This is evil

by Anonymousreply 46June 23, 2021 1:02 PM

"What kind of crazy honor system is it when you do not need an ID to vote."

Every fucking time I've voted in person- in three different states for the past 40 years- they've asked for my driver's license to let me vote. With absentee voting, they ask for my dr. lic. # on the envelope.

Where you people live, Guam?

by Anonymousreply 47June 23, 2021 1:05 PM

R41...That's the problem. The filibuster has to go...otherwise, nothing will get done.

by Anonymousreply 48June 23, 2021 1:07 PM

I hate politics ……..

by Anonymousreply 49June 23, 2021 1:33 PM

[quote]Any voter rights bill must be accompanied with free voter ID. What kind of crazy honor system is it when you do not need an ID to vote. It is harder to get a library card in this country then it is to vote.

Fuck you, Rethug troll at r43 - I've been voting for 49 years and I've never had to show any ID other than my signature, which is on the voter roll.

by Anonymousreply 50June 23, 2021 1:35 PM

R44 And THAT'S what kills me about Manchin. He says "I don't want any more division"--while actively participating in it. WHY in the universes would he want to keep the filibuster? It doesn't help us.

by Anonymousreply 51June 23, 2021 1:35 PM

Fuck if I know...^^ Manchin represents one of the reddest states in the country...the only way for him to get votes is to veer towards repubs...I'm guessing. He is useless for his party.

by Anonymousreply 52June 23, 2021 1:43 PM

And Democrats, with no back-up plan because they want the Republicans to help them pass this legislation. Typical of my party. Dumb and lazy, but typical.

It's nice we have so many idea people in the Democratic party but it would be better if we had a lot less talkers and more ass-kicking DOERS. Tired of the talking and the tweeting and the "clapping back" on social media while failing at things like this while we see McConnell's potential return to power getting closer and a Republican super majority in the Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 53June 23, 2021 1:55 PM

YES! A thousand times....YES!^^^ Dems have no backbone or "street fight" in them..repubs are dirty bastards. So nice to be so polite...

by Anonymousreply 54June 23, 2021 2:01 PM

[quote] its not only black people effected but this.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 55June 23, 2021 2:18 PM

Something like 70% of Manchin's constituents support this fucking bill. They also support, in almost the same number, getting rid of the filibuster.

If they won't get rid of it, they need to return it to the type where you have to literally stand there and talk, continually, for days to stop whatever you want to stop. Not just say the word "filibuster" and magically the vast minority of the country gets to stop everything the vast majority wants.

by Anonymousreply 56June 23, 2021 2:42 PM

R50 A signature that anyone can fake! Lack of voter Is crazy. Almost all other major democracies require a voter ID. We should make voter ID free so that everyone can get one, not just letting people vote without any ID doesn’t make any fucking sense. No one can give one good reason why voter ID should not be a thing that doesn’t boil down to “black people are too stupid to get an ID” which is offensive as shit.

by Anonymousreply 57June 23, 2021 2:56 PM

R57, in the Repug states that kept making more and more laws about voter ID, they also, simultaneously moved and/or closed the places near minority communities where you could get a voter ID. They also then made the laws to get the ID more difficult. I really can't believe that anyone would so readily buy into the racist Repug arguments and then parrot them unless they are a fucking Repug themselves.

Isn't is strange to you that there is so much focus on voter fraud that doesn't exist? Do you ever question why they don't need to prove there's ever been any fraud that needs to be corrected by more stringent requirements? Also, requiring an ID you have to pay for is a poll tax. Illegal. Start thinking for yourself instead of parroting Repug bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 58June 23, 2021 3:06 PM

R58 Then fix that issue. But don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.

by Anonymousreply 59June 23, 2021 3:10 PM

WHY IN THE FUCK AM I BEING MADE TO PAY FOR THESE RACIST, MOOCHING, FACIST PARASITES WHO DON'T EVEN HAVE THE POPULATION TO JUSTIFY THEIR POWER?

by Anonymousreply 60June 23, 2021 3:13 PM

FASCIST*

by Anonymousreply 61June 23, 2021 3:13 PM

How do you still not get that Republicans won't allow you to fix that issue?

by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2021 3:16 PM

R59, the entire point is that there is no baby in the bathwater. How do you not understand this? There is no problem to fix. The entire "problem" is that old white male Repugs can't get the votes from anyone but other old white males, so they have to disenfranchise everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2021 3:18 PM

R60 - because your team didn't sufficiently convince independents - the plurality of US voters - where it mattered.

Next time, either present hole or whip out huge cock to make the difference.

by Anonymousreply 64June 23, 2021 3:18 PM

R57, no one has EVER attempted to fake my signature in 49 years of voting in - primaries and general elections at the local, state and federal levels.

This voter "fraud" requires voter ID meme is just bullshit peddled by the right wing to deter turnout.

by Anonymousreply 65June 23, 2021 5:34 PM

We're not racists, but Blacks and Latins always vote the wrong way, which proves they're not competent to vote. We're just helping!

by Anonymousreply 66June 23, 2021 5:38 PM

When will that turtle vanish from DC?

by Anonymousreply 67June 23, 2021 5:41 PM

Now explain handing out water, purging impartial observers and selecting their own, and the state legislature overturning the will of the people if they don't like who the majority for - aka a DEM.

The only examples of voter fraud in 2020 were TRUMP supporters and they got CAUGHT. One idiot trying to vote on behalf of his dead mother.

All of this is based on a lie. How many fucking court cases must deplorables lose before you recognize how stupid and psychotic you look?

by Anonymousreply 68June 23, 2021 5:45 PM

Also explain the one where they don't want to open early voting places on Sundays until after 1pm because black churches would go to church and then all go en masse to vote right after.

by Anonymousreply 69June 23, 2021 6:18 PM

[quote] Manchin represents one of the reddest states in the country...the only way for him to get votes is to veer towards repubs...I'm guessing

That's bullshit. I guarantee you that 90% if the people that voted for him don't even know what the filibuster is. And couldn't care less about it. I'm tired of the stupid fucking press telling this "tale"

It's not like anyone is calling his office, "we voted for you Joe Manchin, you BETTER keep that filibuster"

by Anonymousreply 70June 23, 2021 9:13 PM

The Poor People's Campaign were in WV last week marching for voting rights, and many of Manchin's constituents were there protesting him.

by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2021 2:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!