Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anybody was familiar with One Step Beyond ?????

So, a few weeks ago, épisodes from that show started to appear as a suggestion for me on YouTube.

At first glance, I really thought it was kind of a Twilight Zone parody. Then I quickly realised it was serious, but there are elements eerily similar to the Rod Serling show. The presenter introducing the story, giving his opinion in conclusion. The music is reminiscent of the first season of TZ, so is the image during the generic.

The stories are bit like a mix of TZ, Hitchcock Presents and Tale of the Unexpeted. Some of the premises are very good, but the execution is a bit less dynamic than in the other shows mentionned and seemed to be inspired from a radio play. The stories lack the bite and the social commentary some of the TZ had, but are still interesting.

The tone is more like they are introducing a real story but want to let you decide if there is an explanation or if we are dealing with supernatural. It is obviously supernatural.

I' m not American, so maybe this is why I never heard of it. It was broadcast in the U.S. from 59 to 61. Anybody is familiar with this ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 4, 2021 5:42 PM

I remember seeing reruns on the low-rent UHF channel in the early 70s (the theme music was pretty memorable) before it disappeared from television altogether. For a Twilight Zone ripoff, it's not too bad.

I believe it's in the public domain, so it's on a lot of the fringe "retro tv" streaming channels.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2021 4:55 PM

Thanks R1. I think they are all on YouTube. The pace is a bit off and I'm always left with the feeling that with the captivating premise, each episode should be a lot better. It looks like a TZ herzatz but it was produced between 59 and 61, so it can't really be a rip-off.

Some stories are good in spite of the pace and it is well acted in general.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2021 5:25 PM

It broke the ground for TZ. The stories are good and Harry Lubin's music is spot on. You can get the soundtrack online.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2021 5:36 PM

Yes!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2021 6:31 PM

OP - if you haven't already, try to catch the episode about the falling chandelier. It has haunted me to this day.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2021 6:51 PM

Unrelated, but Twilight Zone is on Netflix now.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2021 7:00 PM

The two episodes I remember (without giving away the endings). A woman has a recurring dream about a plane crashing into her house. In the other one, a crippled woman is stuck in her house and a tornado is coming.

Eerie show; I liked it!

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2021 7:21 PM

It premiered months before TZ did

BTW, I love this show

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2021 7:22 PM

What do you know, R4, I wasn't aware of that "step beyond" either !

Thanks R5 and R7, I will look out for those.

I saw the one with the tiger toy. A good idea, but I wish there had been more suspens, that it had been scarier.

The story with the villa with an elevator is good, even if nowadays, you have a good idea of what will happen.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2021 8:05 PM

The whole vibe of that show scared me as a child, especially the theme music. Don't get me started on the intro to "The Outer Limits," which was sheer terror.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2021 8:37 PM

A lot of episodes are up on youtube:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2021 8:44 PM

If you enjoy all the Ouija board threads....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2021 8:47 PM

Featuring a young Suzanne Pleshette and the recently departed Norman Lloyd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2021 8:53 PM

Even earlier TV. I love this show's intro, which annoyingly seems to have been clipped off most of the other episodes on youtube.

Live broadcasts back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2021 9:20 PM

The only show I remembered from it was the one with the clown. Anyone who saw it knows which one i mean. It started the whole “scary clown” thing, even though the clown wasn’t supposed to be evil, but sympathetic.

The series was over the top in terms of narration, acting and padding the story. It was very melodramatic. The acting was very theatrical at times, as if the actors were playing to a full theater….stage-y. The 4th season of Twilight Zone fell into that trap of enormously padding the story, but at least TZ was padding so much because they’d switched from a half hour to an hour format. It was not a good idea. They did the same thing with Hitchcock. Too much of a good thing. But One Step Beyond was only a half hour show, so it didn’t have an excuse for so much padding. Apparently there were “horror” and “thriller” anthologies on radio which used lots of sound effects…footsteps on stairs, doors creaking open, a few seconds of silence followed by a scream, distant murmuring (“what was that?”)…and One Step Beyond was a tv continuation of that genre, but it didn’t translate well to the screen.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote] even though the clown wasn’t supposed to be evil, but sympathetic.

I'm good with television trivia but I have no clue what your refer to. Might it have been a local station kids's show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2021 9:26 PM

Disagree that the acting was bad....they had plenty of good actors on the show

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2021 9:48 PM

10 year old me loved it in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2021 9:53 PM

50 year old me loved it too, R18!

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2021 9:56 PM

I bought a dvd of the OSB episodes several years ago. I'll have to revisit it.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2021 9:59 PM

Hosted by John Newland who also directed and produced the show.

I always suspected that he may be family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2021 10:01 PM

I like this one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2021 4:31 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2021 2:49 PM

A young Warren Beatty was in one, co-starring DL fave Joan Fontaine

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2021 5:10 PM

This one is cool:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2021 2:39 AM

Cloris in Dark Room

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2021 3:08 AM

Just the title "The Dead Part of the House" gives me chills.

Not a horror fan anymore because they give me nightmares, although I realize this isn't "horror" exactly, it's in that area like the Twilight Zone where if you see certain episodes they can damage your reality, and I don't want that.

I can remember every episode of shows that I watched with that effect like The Outer Limits, from decades ago when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2021 3:18 AM

I remember 2 episodes in particular:

In one, a painter was driven to paint a picture of a passenger liner sinking and it foreshadowed the real event.

In another, I think it took place in Hawaii. A crippled woman lived in a house and was hearing warnings sounding to evacuate because of an upcoming storm/tsunami, etc. She became more and more frantic because she couldn't get away by herself and there was no one else home. The second character was a late to middle aged man, who was lost, driving around her neighborhood, looking for an address. He was deaf, so couldn't hear the loudspeakers blaring the alarm. I won't tell you the ending.

by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2021 3:27 AM

Beyond Step One!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2021 3:32 AM

"In one, a painter was driven to paint a picture of a passenger liner sinking and it foreshadowed the real event."

That's The Night of April 14th, which I posted a link to upthread

"In another, I think it took place in Hawaii. A crippled woman lived in a house and was hearing warnings sounding to evacuate because of an upcoming storm/tsunami, etc. She became more and more frantic because she couldn't get away by herself and there was no one else home. The second character was a late to middle aged man, who was lost, driving around her neighborhood, looking for an address. He was deaf, so couldn't hear the loudspeakers blaring the alarm. I won't tell you the ending."

That's Tidal Wave, which I'm linking to below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 25, 2021 3:36 AM

Oh no, the woman lived, according to the YouTube summary.

Although in the film adaptation she could have been eaten by a grue, I guess.

If only there was some way to find out!

by Anonymousreply 31June 25, 2021 3:40 AM

Radio lets you imagine a much real stage then early television studios.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 25, 2021 4:58 AM

Our 12-step group discussed this. We were going to add it, but decided against it. A thirteenth step would have been…

by Anonymousreply 33June 25, 2021 5:18 AM

I’m watching now! Thanks everyone.

by Anonymousreply 34June 25, 2021 5:32 AM

O.P., is English your primary language? (Sorry. “English Is Your Primary Language?”)

by Anonymousreply 35June 25, 2021 5:36 AM

It was a great series but the spin-off blew my mind!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2021 6:00 AM

One Step Beyond stories were said to be "real" stories of supernatural events - all said to be based on true events.

Another series of the 1950s was Science Fiction Theater, hosted by Truman Bradley. Very fun and interesting series if you like science fiction.

by Anonymousreply 37June 25, 2021 8:33 AM

R35 if you read even a LITTLE of the thread he mentions he's foreign

by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2021 9:52 AM

Good show

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2021 5:07 PM

What a great thread.

by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2021 5:18 PM

The one where John Newland does magic mushrooms is pretty awesome

by Anonymousreply 41June 25, 2021 8:10 PM

My mom thought John Newland was very, very attractive. He wasn't really my type.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned a lot (because I haven't read every line of every post), but I thought what set it apart from the other shows mentioned here is that it was based on true stories. Every episode was based on something that had purportedly happened to someone. So that is completely different from The Twilight Zone.

by Anonymousreply 42June 25, 2021 8:38 PM

*Oops sorry I missed the post where it said "real events" (hey I'm at work).

by Anonymousreply 43June 25, 2021 8:43 PM

I was raised by television and I remember watching this show in the ‘50’s. Scared and fascinated me! Can you imagine a five year old watching this show?

by Anonymousreply 44June 25, 2021 9:27 PM

R44, what was your favorite episode?

by Anonymousreply 45June 25, 2021 9:41 PM

I'd forgotten all about OSB.....Those shows freaked me out--OSB, TZ, The Outer Limits....even their names scared me.

by Anonymousreply 46June 25, 2021 10:18 PM

The original opening sequence to the first season of The Outer Limits freaked me out enough to turn the channel.

by Anonymousreply 47June 26, 2021 12:00 AM

The theme music for OSB is really cool

by Anonymousreply 48June 26, 2021 12:14 AM

R45 mostly what I remember is the host’s voice and the creepy music. But I do remember the episode where President Lincoln had visions of his upcoming death. Thanks for asking.

by Anonymousreply 49June 26, 2021 3:28 AM

Abraham Lincoln episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 26, 2021 3:30 AM

I have a couple of favorites. The episode with the ever-growing spot on the wall and the episode with the murderous necklace.

by Anonymousreply 51June 26, 2021 5:22 PM

The killer necklace one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 26, 2021 7:06 PM

I was just reading in a book about Elizabeth Taylor that she was in love with and wanted to marry Sean McClory. I couldn't place him, but now I know who he is.

by Anonymousreply 53June 26, 2021 7:48 PM

As mentioned above, the gimmick was that the episodes were allegedly based on true stories. But some of them were just urban legends and the writers took extreme liberties with the others.

But I liked it as a kid back then and still do. Fabulous theme music.

by Anonymousreply 54June 27, 2021 6:00 AM

I enjoyed this one. Bohemian Greenwich Village setting, trippy premise. For a moment I thought the title might be another interpretation of DL’s favorite “An Open Window” from ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, but no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 28, 2021 2:05 AM

^ That one has a young Louise Fletcher in it

by Anonymousreply 56June 28, 2021 2:07 AM

Creepy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 28, 2021 2:48 AM

This one is super freaky:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 28, 2021 2:57 AM

Featuring Rhoda Penmark

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 28, 2021 2:58 AM

R35, sorry for the late answer. No it is not my first language. Not that I'm hiding it, but what " gave me away" in the structure of my sentences ?

by Anonymousreply 60July 4, 2021 5:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!