Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I need to get a new car. Any advice?

I have to get a new car. I'd like to get a pre-owned one since I'll be able to afford a nicer car if I get something used.

I've never been big into cars and my last car was a Nissan Altima. This time, however, I'd like to go a bit more upscale and get something nicer than the Altima. And I want it to be comfortable and get good highway milage. Does anyone have any good advice?

Sincere thanks.

by Anonymousreply 174July 4, 2021 8:28 PM

Carmax

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2021 3:58 PM

I prefer German and British automobiles but the Koreans and the Japanese give more value for the money and less trouble. Many of these cars are not that bad looking anymore. I still consider Audi and Rover to have the best design. But, you will become best friends with your mechanic if you buy one.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2021 4:02 PM

I would love to get an Audi, but you hit the nail on the head...I'm not eager to be on a first name basis with my mechanic. Do Audis have frequent problems?

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2021 4:04 PM

Get a Maxima, used they're cheap and being a Nissan it will be an upgrade, but still very familiar to you

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2021 4:09 PM

If you don’t absolutely need it right now, OP, I would wait. The Chip shortage has severely restricted new car inventories.

Used car prices are inflated, too-that inventory is reduced because rental car agencies weren’t purchasing cars last year. This is driving used car prices up-take a look at Thermo.

It will probably smooth out by late fall, but unless you have a critical need, I’d wait.

That said, what is your budget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2021 4:10 PM

R4 I always had a Maxima from 1992 until 2002 when I got myself a preowned Nissan 240sx Convertible...I wouldn't recommend any Nissan now as the CVT transmission Nissan uses is the worst one on the market...when they get the bugs out, I'll consider another

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2021 4:33 PM

Saab?

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2021 5:56 PM

Audi's are perfectly reliable cars R2

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2021 6:09 PM

^ Liar

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2021 7:38 PM

I'm thinking of a Mercedes. Their engines are supposed to last forever.

Any thoughts about this?

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2021 12:46 PM

I think quality cars are a thing of the past. You don’t get much variation anymore. Cars last about a year or two and then start falling apart. No matter the brand. And that’s not counting the defects.

It’s best to get on a schedule where you BUY (not lease) every two years and eat the inflation.

It’s either that or get ready for constant repairs after 36k or so.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2021 12:55 PM

*eat the depreciation

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2021 12:56 PM

Kia Soul

1. South Korea is the new Japan

2. The Soul is actually made in South Korea, rather than Mexico, USA, or Canada.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2021 1:02 PM

Get the newest car with the most advanced safety equipment you can.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2021 1:12 PM

Chevy Malibu

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2021 1:14 PM

Consider a Lexus. Great cars. Don't think I'll ever drive anything else.

Rated highly by Consumer Reports, if that's a consideration.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2021 1:16 PM

The used car thing hasn’t been a deal for a long time. You end up paying more in maintenance that you save. The algorithms have figured out humans and now they just have to build something that is just good enough to sell off the lot.

Brands mean nothing.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2021 1:17 PM

Any thoughts on the Mercedes GLK 250 Bluetec?

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2021 2:07 PM

Mercedes are fine R18 if you have money to burn. They don't hold their value and they are expensive to repair. Oil changes alone are over $100. If you want a good, reliable vehicle get a Toyota.

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2021 2:21 PM

If you don't have to have a luxury brand and comfort/reliability is more important than sporty handling or styling, the Toyota Avalon is worth a look. It has near-Lexus comfort and quiet and the buyer profile (OLD) makes it a very safe bet as a used car (probably very well-maintained and responsibly driven).

The Kia K900 (full-size luxury) and Kia Cedenza (mid-size near-luxury) are very good cars, but were not sales successes, so they have depreciated massively. This makes them a good buy as used cars and they have great warranties. The flagship Acura RL is another car that wasn't embraced by the market, but is a solid proposition.

On the used market, sedans are going to be a better value than SUVs/CUVs.

The comments about cars being less reliable and durable compared to the past are incorrect. Newer cars may be more complicated to repair because of the electronics and other complicated systems, but most cars are MUCH better and safer than "the good old days." American cars, especially, were quite terrible for several decades and they have improved significantly. You just need to research specific models and potential problem areas.

Personally, I prefer European cars, but there is no denying that they are more expensive to maintain and repair. I had a 2009 Porsche for 9 years and while it was awesome, the prices for parts/service were insane. We had five Mercedes between 1997 and 2011 and they were all pretty reliable. We had a CLK 500 coupe and a CLK 350 cabriolet that were totally trouble-free.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2021 3:07 PM

Try Volvo, OP. They’ve become very elegant cars and there’s a uniqueness to them that BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Lexus lack.

This certified used one is at a dealer by me and it’s gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2021 3:12 PM

I thought that about Volvo until I owned one. Insane repair costs, bad MPG - no better than my Honda CRV. I fell for the “high end” car thigh once and never again. I’ll take a new car every 3 years instead.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2021 4:33 PM

Maybe the Toyota Avalon?

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2021 11:55 PM

A BMW or Mercedes’s warranty will require you to get regular maintenance, and repairs, to be handled at the dealership. Big bucks!

I suspect this is true with other high-end imported models.

There are many nice, high-end domestic models, but as others have said, the chip shortage and rental car purchases have driven both new and used cars prices sky-high.

Wait if you can.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2021 12:45 AM

R11 gives the worst and most wrong advice I've ever read on this site.

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2021 12:52 AM

Kias are a great value but they are not luxurious. I just leased one and am getting ready to lease another. Their design has improved in the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2021 1:00 AM

Once you drive a Suburu, you’ll be hooked for life,

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2021 1:04 AM

Subarus are so ugly though.

by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2021 1:06 AM

^ Truth. And so very boring. Only would recommend if you must have AWD. Otherwise, I'd pick a H/K over a Subaru every day of the week.

by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2021 1:08 AM

When I get a car I love I’m happy to drive it for many years. If I just get something because the price is right then soon I’m bored with it and wanting something different. So for me it’s worth it to get something I love and take good care of it over the years until it wears out.

by Anonymousreply 30June 25, 2021 1:09 AM

R2- You like German and British cars- that means you like MONEY PITS.

by Anonymousreply 31June 25, 2021 1:16 AM

I liked my Honda CRV more than my Subaru Outback. I think Subarus are overrated - and overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 32June 25, 2021 1:18 AM

‘Do you have any needs other than it being nicer than an Altima? Storage capacity, sporty features, family features, mileage, looks, bells & whistles?

I have a lot of ‘stuff’ sometimes and found that a small SUV was a good fit, but most weren’t my style. Too ‘mom’ looking, until I tried out the Acura RDX. Just enough storage room, nice and sporty, comfy and easy to drive like the Hondas I was used to driving since the 80s. Good price too.

by Anonymousreply 33June 25, 2021 1:21 AM

OP- According to Consumer Reports ( I've been a subscriber since 1987) the best value in a car is a three year old used car. It's depreciated greatly but it's still young enough to have a lot of the latest safety features and many more years of reliability. A Toyota Camry is dull but new or used they're generally EXTREMELY reliable.

I drive a 2017 Toyota Camry LE.

by Anonymousreply 34June 25, 2021 1:22 AM

I also need a car. I've always driven a stick and want to continue driving a stick. I have a Civic right now. What car should I get to replace it?

by Anonymousreply 35June 25, 2021 1:23 AM

Look at the Buick line-up, OP. Affordable luxury.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 25, 2021 1:29 AM

Really bad time to buy a car. Try for a lease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 25, 2021 1:38 AM

Here you go, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 25, 2021 1:43 AM

My dad's side of the family have always been semi-loyal to Volvos. My dad never owned one himself, but his parents drove them all throughout my dad's childhood, and some other family members did too (my ancestry on that side is almost all Swedish, which maybe had something to do with it).

In my early-20s, I ended up with an early-'90s Volvo sedan, which I drove all through college, graduate school, and beyond. It eventually needed enough work (all age-related stuff) that I didn't want to put anymore money into it. However, I loved that car so much—it was well-built and reliable. It was also very comfortable; it had plenty of leg room, which is a necessity for me because I am tall and have long legs. It sounds ridiculous, but I was legitimately upset when I got rid of it. Last year I finally decided to throw in the towel and get an upgraded, newer (but used) Volvo. I ended up with one of the higher-end 2014 XC70 wagon models, and I absolutely love it. It had one owner and was meticulously cared for. It's a great car—super comfortable and spacious, luxurious but not ostentatious.

The only Volvo models you have to really look out for are the early-mid-2000s ones, which were manufactured when the company was owned by Ford. Those ones are notorious for having garbage transmissions and all sorts of electrical problems. The Volvos produced post-2010 are all pretty much golden.

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2021 1:51 AM

R38 at least 75% of the cars on that list are driven exclusively by bulldykes

by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2021 1:53 AM

I bought a Honda CRV 15 years ago and have been very happy with it. The only problem is that the headlights burn out very often. 2 or 3 times a year. My mechanic told me it was a problem with that year’s model. I have over 140,000 miles on it but the current car prices are scary. I don’t want to spend over $30,000.00 for a new car.

by Anonymousreply 41June 25, 2021 1:55 AM

I drive a Jeep Wrangler because 1) I look cute in it, 2) I like going to the gas station twice a week and 3) I’m having an affair with my mechanic.

by Anonymousreply 42June 25, 2021 2:05 AM

The only place to start looking for a new car is online. You google "car lease deals June 2021" or whatever month it is and go through all of the lists compiled.

The lists will show you which cars are being leased at rates far below the actual value of the car. Go test drive the cars with amazing lease deals. See if you find something you like. If not, expand your search.

This works for open minded people and can put you in a car $10k more expensive than what your actual budget is. You may not find anything you love, but if you do, that's how you get a crazy deal. This month they were giving out new Camaros with zero down for $200y something per month and only the expensive model. Why Chevrolet is leasing a $36,000 car at a cheaper rate than the same car with a shittier engine and shittier features, I don't know. Sometimes there's logic to it, sometimes not.

A few years ago, there were people leasing the BMW electric car for under $100 per month. There was a huge federal or state rebate for electric cars and all of it could be applied to a lease. So if you bought the car, you got a $7000 discount. But if you leased it, the entire $7000 was treated like a downpayment and the monthly rate came out to a stupidly small number since a three year lease only cost around $10-12k total.

There is always a lease deal available that makes you think "how the fuck are they giving that car away so cheap?" But consumers are idiots. Right now somewhere in America, someone signing a lease for a Toyota Carola or a Honda Civic that costs more than the luxury car I leased.

by Anonymousreply 43June 25, 2021 2:26 AM

OP- Another excellent car is a Toyota Corolla. A 2018 Toyota Corolla is an excellent value according to Consumer Reports, it's VERY reliable and has pre collision braking and some other desirable safety features as standard equipment.

by Anonymousreply 44June 25, 2021 2:30 AM

Hyundai fan here.

by Anonymousreply 45June 25, 2021 2:51 AM

Get a Hyundai Sonata, OP. They're good cars with lots of features, like driving a rice Buick.

by Anonymousreply 46June 25, 2021 3:04 AM

2003 Honda CRV I leased for 3 years than bought at the termination of the lease. It now has 184K miles and still runs well and costs me little. Besides new tires and battery I spent about $400 for a new compressor (2014) $400 for a used alternator (2017) and $350 on a new water pump (2019) I have to open the rear cargo door with a key because the remote no longer works for that door only.

If you lease a car you are paying about half the price of the car to have it for 3 years and a maximum of 36K miles

Buy a good used car and checkout the Carfax. Preowned cars that are 3 years old and have the lease allowed 32-36K miles are a good choice. You can find a luxury at considerably less than new and have it for many years and many of them have warranties up to 70K. That's what I'll do when the time comes and the way my car feels and runs that won't be for a couple of years at least and probably when I want a newer car with back up camera, heated exterior mirrors and a few other luxuries mine doesn't have.

by Anonymousreply 47June 25, 2021 3:12 AM

On my 3rd Subaru Forester (gay man). I can slide my bike in the back. It drives like a dream in the snow, and the mileage isn’t bad. I’ve never had a single problem with any of them. My French bulldog looks cute in it. We roll down the windows and open the sunroof and cruise to the park. I ask Alexa to play Calling You (today) and it’s like car heaven.

by Anonymousreply 48June 25, 2021 4:34 AM

I frankly don't understand why people are so keen on leasing cars, other than to have the latest and greatest, newest model of something. Leasing is cheaper than the cost of buying a brand new car (especially when it comes to luxury vehicles), but it's not cheaper than the payments you'd make on a decent used one. You also have to worry about paying for any cosmetic damage when the lease is up on the vehicle. I'd rather put money toward something I can keep longterm, but I guess that's just my personality.

by Anonymousreply 49June 25, 2021 5:14 AM

Your new car will depreciate 15-25% a year for the first 5 years; and after 5 years will probably be only worth 40% of the purchase price, if not less.

Don't buy new. Buy the oldest preowned used car with the lowest mileage used car with the best ratings and Carfax reports you can. If someone had it as a second car or vacation car, garaged, that would be ideal. I'm still driving a 2004 Toyota.

The poster above mentioning the chip shortage right now is absolutely correct. If you can wait until more stock becomes available, it will be far more advantageous to you.

by Anonymousreply 50June 25, 2021 5:28 AM

R49 I like leasing because 1) you can get an insane deal, as I discussed at r43, 2) you end up putting some money into a used car that you don't on a lease--new brakes, tires, and whatever else breaks down that you weren't anticipating and that may or may not be covered on the warranty by the time it breaks--Lots of people also buy extended warranties on used cars, which eats into the "savings" of buying a car....also the tax on the car can equal out to a nice chunk of time on a lease.

When it comes down to it, leasing and buying can come close to each other in cost, so you might as well have a brand new car with new features and not have to worry about maintenance costs that pop up on older cars.

by Anonymousreply 51June 25, 2021 5:32 AM

As R50 notes, for the vast majority of people, buying a brand new car off the lot is one of the stupidest financial decisions you can make. I suppose if you are loaded and have the kind of money where you could buy something outright, it would be a fun "fuck you" gesture—and you would get the novelty of being the first person to ever drive it—but still, in the end, you're taking a loss. Leasing makes more sense than buying brand new.

by Anonymousreply 52June 25, 2021 5:40 AM

The closest I've ever come to owning a set of wheels was when I spotted a pair of old fashioned steel roller skates, circa 1956, at the local Goodwill store. Unfortunately, the skates weighed more than I did so I knew that was a definitely not a workable solution for my transportation issues.

by Anonymousreply 53June 25, 2021 5:55 AM

r52 I was the one writing about the benefits of leasing but i agree the dumbest thing to do is to buy a brand new car. It ties up so much money that could be invested elsewhere.

Plus, you can always buy out a car after a lease. you agree to a purchase price on the car on the lease contract, which you can choose to exercise or not. Sometimes it makes sense to buy it out. Sometimes you're ready to upgrade or get better technology. Sometimes the car got into an accident and doesn't drive perfectly after being fixed--that's the car dealerships problem on a lease.

the one thing you can count on is that any car featuring great lease rates is assumed to hold value better than its competitors. A great lease deal often means the depreciation will be minimal on that model. Sometimes a car salesman will say "that car doesn't lease well" which is code for "the depreciation on that model is so high that we can't afford to lease it for the same price as other models in the same class"

by Anonymousreply 54June 25, 2021 6:49 AM

[quote] *eat the depreciation

Thanks but I had the depreciation for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 55June 25, 2021 7:00 AM

I LIVED THROUGH THE DEPRESSION AND THERE WASNT A LOT OF EATING LET ME TELL YOU!

BLESS,

by Anonymousreply 56June 25, 2021 7:01 AM

About 12 years ago I got a Jetta. It was the best car I ever owned. I sold it to upgrade to a Tuareg and kick myself for making such a dumb choice. The car is good, but the fuel efficiency and general sturdiness can't compare with the Jetta. Old shop bottom I sold it to hasn't had a single issue with it and he thought it was a temporary car until he got a better paying job and could buy a BMW. Still drives it and saved his money.

by Anonymousreply 57June 25, 2021 8:41 AM

Do the used car queens factor in getting their car fixed every other week?

Some people are busy and don’t have time or money to waste fixing up cars. The hassle of it all.

by Anonymousreply 58June 25, 2021 10:28 AM

Late model fully loaded Honda Accord, if you can find one.

by Anonymousreply 59June 25, 2021 12:19 PM

R51- You have to make a big down payment for a leased car plus monthly payments for three years ( the length of a typical car lease) and at the end of the lease you own NOTHING. If you BUY a late model used car that's very reliable such as a Toyota Corolla then you will have very few repairs for YEARS and you can keep a car like that for 10 years or more.

by Anonymousreply 60June 25, 2021 12:33 PM

[quote] I'm thinking of a Mercedes. Any thoughts about this?

Great if you are planning on invading Poland.

by Anonymousreply 61June 25, 2021 12:36 PM

People in this thread still think it’s 1985.

by Anonymousreply 62June 25, 2021 12:50 PM

R62- That's not true. I think it's 1979. OP- Why don't you consider a brand new 1979 Chevrolet Caprice Classic. It's a reliable comfortable family sedan.

by Anonymousreply 63June 25, 2021 12:52 PM

Lexus - any model. It will last for years and you'll like the way it drives.

by Anonymousreply 64June 25, 2021 1:02 PM

R62 - bitch please, I am still happy with my Model T.

by Anonymousreply 65June 25, 2021 1:02 PM

R65- I'll out BITCH you. I 'm still happy with my Horse and Buggy.

by Anonymousreply 66June 25, 2021 1:04 PM

R66 - oh, honey if you wanna go there...I still drive the chariot good 'ole Al drove into Persepolis.

by Anonymousreply 67June 25, 2021 1:07 PM

R60, never put money down on a lease.

by Anonymousreply 68June 25, 2021 1:17 PM

I bought a Hyundai Elantra 8 years ago. It still looks good and runs great. I plan on buying another one when this one gives me a reason to complain.

by Anonymousreply 69June 25, 2021 1:27 PM

R49, I have a tragigay friend who must have a nice new car. But in late 2019 his Passat, only 4 years old, was falling apart. He was making less money than before. I begged him to buy used, buy Asian, and save a bunch of money on payments and insurance. But no. Next thing I know, he's taken a large distribution from his retirement, using it to pay cash for a new ... Nissan Maxima.

The distribution increased his taxable income so that he didn't qualify for the 2020 stimulus. A Maxima and no stimulus. Nice job.

by Anonymousreply 70June 25, 2021 3:53 PM

2003 Bentley Arnage

by Anonymousreply 71June 25, 2021 3:59 PM

R57- In March 2009 I bought a 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit which is built off the same platform as a 2009 Jetta. Twelve years later I'm still driving the car. It's sturdy too and it's been very reliable.

by Anonymousreply 72June 25, 2021 4:04 PM

Consider cost of ownership as well as purchase costs.

Insurance on specific types of cars is a lot more.

Repairs and maintenance on BMWs is much higher than on a Toyota or Lexus.

Final note - Toyota has been buying up used cars for parts. Toyotas (especially Camrys) are usually very high on lists of stolen vehicles. The same reliability that keeps them on the road is the same reason that parts are in such high demand.

by Anonymousreply 73June 25, 2021 4:15 PM

R58 is right. If you’ve ever had a car not start on you, no amount of money is worth is worth that interruption of your life. Buy a new car, keep it maintained and drive until the wheels come off. It’s not unusual to have a Japanese car get up into the 400k mileage range with regular oil changes. That’s about 25 years worth of car. You buy used, you’re buying someone else’s problems. No, I don’t work for the auto or bank industry and I don’t have tons of money to throw away. I just hate car problems.

by Anonymousreply 74June 25, 2021 4:47 PM

Having a brand new car doesn't guarantee you won't have problems though. A used modern car that's been well-maintained (and from a reputable dealership) is fine in most cases, and considerably cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 75June 25, 2021 5:43 PM

Buy a bike, fat ass. Your heart will thank you.

by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2021 5:57 PM

I'm not driving a cunting bike to work every day.

by Anonymousreply 77June 25, 2021 6:25 PM

If you're going to buy a used car, I know several people who have had excellent experiences with Shift.com.

by Anonymousreply 78June 25, 2021 6:29 PM

1959 DeSoto Fireflite ragtop. Made with real metal...not paper mâché. Seriously though....Honda Accord Hybrid. Peppy enough and comfy while getting 41 mpg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 25, 2021 6:33 PM

Jesus.. how hard do you people drive your cars? I've had 5 BMW's and have never brought any of them in for anything other than scheduled maintenance, which was covered under warranty.

by Anonymousreply 80June 25, 2021 7:07 PM

Sorry R80 - but even Consumer Reports joked that BMW stands for Break My Wallet

by Anonymousreply 81June 25, 2021 7:09 PM

That writer was clearly poor R81

by Anonymousreply 82June 25, 2021 7:15 PM

Bought a 2017 Audi A4 certified with low miles and has been totally reliable, just regular maintenance .

by Anonymousreply 83June 25, 2021 7:27 PM

I like Mazda. Fun driving experience and nice interiors for the same price as a Toyota.

by Anonymousreply 84June 25, 2021 7:37 PM

Try finding a new cars these days. Dealerships are out.

by Anonymousreply 85June 25, 2021 9:17 PM

If you want to upscale, I'd go with a Lexus of some kind. I can't afford it, am on my fourth Camry (boring, I know), but they drive well and are reasonable to operate.

by Anonymousreply 86June 25, 2021 9:23 PM

Get rid of your old car when the cost of your last repair is near the Kelley Blue Book residual value.

by Anonymousreply 87June 25, 2021 9:29 PM

I really want a new car, but I’m trying to hold out until this fall when the new Corolla Cross comes out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 25, 2021 9:43 PM

Right r88?! Who isn't holding their breath waiting for that beauty to drop!

by Anonymousreply 89June 25, 2021 10:30 PM

R89- Is that a sarcastic remark?

by Anonymousreply 90June 26, 2021 3:40 AM

r60 You're wrong. Yes, some poorly informed consumers (or wealthy people who are OK with spending some $$) put big down payments on a lease. I specifically suggested finding the monthly deals and seeing which cars have the tiniest down payments as part of special deals. There is always a car company looking to lease a car at a stupidly low price.

The issue of owning nothing at the end of a lease is totally separate.

The issue of wanting to drive a 10-12 year old entry level car is also separate. If your goal in life is to pay as little as possible for your car, maybe that's the way to go. There is NEVER a guarantee the car will last that long. You never hear people on these boards talking about the reality of cars which is that they fall apart over time. Many don't make it to ten years. But on a board like this, you'll inevitably find people talking about the dream scenario--"i bought it used at three years and it ran another 10 years with very little maintenance!" Maybe I'm bitter because the one time I bought a car to drive forever it ended up getting totaled by a hit and run driver. But that happens too

by Anonymousreply 91June 26, 2021 4:14 AM

R91- You need to read what Consumer Reports says about leasing. They said the best value is not leasing nor buying a new car it's buying a low mileage three year old car with a reputation for reliability such as a Toyota Camry or a Toyota Corolla.

by Anonymousreply 92June 26, 2021 4:28 AM

r92 If your goal in life is to spend as little money as possible, then Consumer Reports is right. There is potential amazing value in driving a three year old Corolla if you want to be driving a three year old Corolla. Or later, an eight year old Corolla. The value comes in years 6-10 so keep your fingers crossed that it's still driving around then with minimal costs. There is no guarantee on that. There is no warranty on that. There is no guarantee your car will not be destroyed by an act of nature or another vehicle. I'm in my 40s.

My friend drives the same vehicle I do. He purchased it used and bought the extended warranty. The taxes and extended warranty cost more than my lease down payment.

The past 15 years have also added lots of great technology to cars. Some are not minor things. I went years without a backup camera. They're cheap aftermarket add ons now but haven't always been cheap. The backup camera on my new car changed my experience driving. Some of the warning signals that new cars give with lane changes and cameras that show the car from all angles, I forget what its called but that is also a mind blowing, life altering, and potentially life saving feature. I may change cars in the next year just to have that feature that I didn't even know I wanted until I drove a car with it for a few weeks.

There is nothing wrong with someone finding the world's greatest deal on a car lease and going for it if they like the car. They can always get a three year old Corolla when their lease is up.

Right now, there are no crazy lease deals. There are some good ones like always....Thats because we're in a post pandemic market with a bottlenecked supply chain. Six months from now hopefully things will be back to normal. I check car lease deals every single month just to get a sense of whats out there.

by Anonymousreply 93June 26, 2021 5:16 AM

Probably more like 18-24 months before they sort out the supply chain issues. It might not be a buyers market for even longer. The car companies will get meaner and leaner from this experience.

As for the supply chains... It’s like a traffic jam, even if it’s clearing up at the origin, the reverb goes on for a while.

by Anonymousreply 94June 26, 2021 5:40 AM

r94 I'm nearing the end of my car lease and wasn't looking forward to a new lease or puchase in this current market. Then it turns out i can extend my lease for an entire year. And at the end of that year, i can choose to buy out the car. If you do it right, leasing doesn't add a lot of cost on to a car that you end up buying anyway...but you have so much flexibility. I could get rid of the car in a few months when lease ends, or take up to 12 months on a month to month basis waiting for an amazing deal to come along on a car I'd like. if it doesn't and the car market still sucks for buyers, I can just buy my car out at the agreed upon price (which actually lowers the principal amount each month during this extension). I could even buy the car, turn around and sell it for more and use the profits to get myself into another lease or towards a downpayment on a used car.

by Anonymousreply 95June 28, 2021 5:35 AM

Gurl, don’t let it be a Toyota. They are in deep doo doo right now.

by Anonymousreply 96June 28, 2021 6:05 AM

R96 what do you mean

by Anonymousreply 97June 28, 2021 6:06 AM

R97, supporting Republican congress members who objected to the election results.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 28, 2021 6:16 AM

My Honda CRV lease is expiring and my contract purchase price is $8,000 below Kelly BB value for a private sale. Hmmm . Worth the hassle?

by Anonymousreply 99June 28, 2021 6:40 PM

Try a used (after the recent used car panic subsides) Toyota/Lexus or the Koreans Genesis/Kia/Hyundai. Buy rather than lease-a lease gets you no equity. A Lexus barely depreciates. If you want a sports car, Mazda Miata and Corvette are both reliable. Lexus RC 350 is nice as well. Avoid turbo engines.

by Anonymousreply 100June 28, 2021 7:21 PM

Infiniti Q50 - try to get a cpo one with low miles - Should give you a long warranty with a Japanese car that has good reliabiity.

by Anonymousreply 101June 28, 2021 7:49 PM

OMG, these are all the cars I see at the rest stop and reservations. I would NEVAH let a guy who pulled up in a Volvo suck my cock in the woods.

by Anonymousreply 102June 28, 2021 8:02 PM

Team Lexus. I live in Los Angeles - cars, traffic, driving freeways, congestion, blah blah blah. I like a car that delivers on looks, reliability, and has luxury features. Lexus has them in spades and used ones that are properly maintained are a best bet.

Also, make sure to shop online first before going to a dealership. I found my current car a Lexus ES, online. I called the Lexus dealership to see if it was available, it was. Great. I’m at the dealership lot i couldn't find the one I saw online. Perplexed I asked for help, the salesman took me to a car that looked like the one I wanted but the sticker price was $7,000 more. Turns out it was the same car I saw online but this dealership had a sales policy of two prices; an online price and a on the lot. So do your online research first, you’ll save money.

by Anonymousreply 103June 28, 2021 8:27 PM

R95's comments about "doesn't add a lot of cost ..." are nonsense. My favorite comment on this topic was by my sister, regarding her imminent divorce from her husband. When asked why she was divorcing, she said, "Jim leased a freaking Corolla for 3 years, paid the mileage overage, and then financed the purchase for another 6 years. He's an idiot!"

by Anonymousreply 104June 29, 2021 3:53 PM

Get a Miata if you want to show the world you're a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 105June 29, 2021 3:55 PM

Do they make automatic Miatas now? I can’t drive a stick.

by Anonymousreply 106June 29, 2021 4:17 PM

Do Mazda's still have the rotary engine? Loved my RX-7, but hated the engine. Some mechanic really messed mine up and it wouldn't pass inspection. Went for an SUV after that and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 107June 29, 2021 5:17 PM

The rotary was only in the RXs I believe. There were some Mazda concept cars that had them but the RXs was the only ones that were public.

by Anonymousreply 108June 29, 2021 6:07 PM

Thanks R108

by Anonymousreply 109June 29, 2021 6:13 PM

I bought a late model Jaguar XF 3.5T Prestige for 24k. It had 2 years and about 36K left on the warranty. Looks brand new, people go "ooh you drive a jag.." little do they know they depreciate like crazy. So far only one issue - the second battery for the stop-start failed - they replaced it. Free maint for the first 5 years (so 2 years for me.) - Been a fucking great car other than that, and all the chachet of driving a BMW or Mercedes with the cost of a Chevy Malibu lol.

PS my warranty is up soon so looking myself - guess what? My trade in value/? 24K Thanks chip shortage! Basically been driving it for free for two years lol

by Anonymousreply 110June 29, 2021 6:24 PM

r104 you're an idiot. Your example is humorous but you don't pay for milage overages when you buy the car. And if you finance buying it out after, you are only financing a fraction of the sticker price.

I get that there are some situations where leases don't make sense--such as someone who wants a sports car, a specific model despite depreciation issues (like Jeeps, which lose 70% of their value in 3 years), or someone who drives way more than 15,000 miles per year. But I'll never understand the morons who can't wrap their heads around the benefits of a crazy, cheap lease deal. It's like they read an article back in 1978 and just keep repeating the same bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 111July 1, 2021 12:34 AM

Those are a dime a dozen R110. It is like a Mercedes, they just don't hold their value. Why would someone pay top dollar for a used vehicle when they can pay a few thousand more for a new one? That goes for all vehicles. I see used Toyota's and they are not much cheaper than a new one.

by Anonymousreply 112July 1, 2021 12:43 AM

I love my Jeep Wrangler, which is apparently #10 top LGBBT vehicle) but I live in the Hudson Valley and need those big wheels and 4WD. I also like how I can put the back seat down, and put a big dog bed back there so my doggie is comfy on short and long trips.

by Anonymousreply 113July 1, 2021 1:00 AM

And to the poster who said Jeeps depreciate steeply - NOT the Wrangler

"This is where the Jeep Wrangler shines. Not only is it friendly on your wallet, but it also has a killer resale value. Even after just three years of use, the Wrangler can retain nearly 70% of its MSRP. The number drops to just below 60% for five years of ownership."

by Anonymousreply 114July 1, 2021 1:09 AM

R113, thank you for not saying 'doggo'.

by Anonymousreply 115July 1, 2021 1:15 AM

I have had five cars in my life – a shitbox in college, a used Jetta GLI, a Ford Explorer XLT, a Volvo S60R, and a Mercedes E-Wagon.

Setting aside the college beater, the Jetta was super fun but after four years the transmission and AC failed. I replaced the starter four times in six years and the alternator twice. There was an electrical system problem that took two VW service departments 8 months and two batteries to identify and fix. Thankfully it was really easy to work on, so I did most of the work myself (except the tranny and the mystery short problem).

The Explorer was exactly what I wanted when I bought it. I drove it cross country and back eight times. When I sold it after eleven years, it had 288000 miles on it. The 02 sensors were poorly engineered, so I had to replace them at least once a year. But the brakes were the worst. They were the same discs and pads as the Taurus, but on a vehicle almost three times heavier. I don't remember how many times I did the brakes.

The Volvo was also exactly what I wanted. The driver seat was the most comfortable I have ever been in and I'm 6'6". But mine was from the era when Ford owned Volvo, and the quality was not Volvo standard. The fit and finish were awful. The cooling system was total crap and the automatic transmission was cheaply designed. The best part of the Volvo was the Yamaha inline 5 cylinder engine.

Finally I graduated to my lifelong dream car – a Mercedes station wagon. At 6+ years, I have not had to repair or replace anything except consumables (tires, oil, filters, brake pads, etc.). When I had the brakes done at 80K miles, the discs looked brand new. I firmly believe that you get what you pay for.

As for advice: find 2-3 cars that you would be perfectly happy with. Research them exhaustively. Watch for incentives (manufacturer, financing, dealer) religiously. Keep an eye on their inventory online. When you decide that you need to purchase, email the Internet Sales or Fleet Sales person. Tell him/her which exact vehicle you are interested in buying and ask what the bottom line, out the door price will be if you come in tomorrow.

I bought my last two cars using this strategy and have been extremely happy with the process. I do not like the negotiation, the "let me check with my manager," or the "how much do you want to spend each month?" crap. Come in pre-approved for a certain amount from your bank or credit union. Most times, the dealership's finance department can match or beat the financing you already have, but in case they cannot, you have your backstop. Sales floor people might give you the stink eye or try to claim that they gave you a test drive and deserve a cut of the commission. (This happened at both Volvo and Mercedes.)

Good luck!

PS: It is impossible to know how much a dealer paid for a used car or how much, if anything, they put into it before selling it. I loathe being taken advantage of and this lack of knowledge prevents me from being comfortable buying a used car. The Jetta was the only used car I bought. But I keep cars for 10+ years, so I not worry much about depreciation.

by Anonymousreply 116July 1, 2021 1:19 AM

R116- EVERY car you mentioned SUCKS. If , all those years ago you had bought a Toyota Camry you’d still be driving the same car now .

by Anonymousreply 117July 1, 2021 1:24 AM

R113- I LOVE my sewing machine.

by Anonymousreply 118July 1, 2021 1:25 AM

R117 One man's trash...

by Anonymousreply 119July 1, 2021 1:26 AM

r112 - because usually, a late model CPO luxury car comes with a good if not a better warranty than the new econobox you are getting. My Jag is way better than any shit box I could buy new for 24k, has a better warranty, and has more stuff on it than any new car you can get for 24K.

by Anonymousreply 120July 1, 2021 1:46 AM

Miatas come in automatic as well as MT.

by Anonymousreply 121July 1, 2021 4:35 AM

Toyota or Lexus are solid choices. The Mazda, Honda and Koreans afterward. A Jaguar XK (2007-9 & 13 and up) are solid cars and look like Aston Martins. The earlier ones with the 4.2 litre engine are very reliable and durable. Mazda Miata is always fun and reliable-the Fiat 124 Spider is a Miata withdifferent styling and a turbo Fiat engine-Fiat dealers are desperate.

by Anonymousreply 122July 1, 2021 4:41 AM

I just pointed out R120 that your car and the price you paid is a dime a dozen. What year was it? You even said "they depreciate like crazy." Why do they depreciate so much compared to a Toyota? BTW, Toyota's are one of the most reliable vehicles are the market.

by Anonymousreply 123July 1, 2021 8:41 AM

Is the Jaguar cheap to repair? I thought the opposite. They do look good - but I always thought they had crappy reliability. I’m a fan of a modest functional car, 3 years old with less then 25k miles. Though lately it seems you may as well buy new as the used cars have gotten insanely expensive.

by Anonymousreply 124July 1, 2021 4:52 PM

r123 2017 24K it is an XF Prestige AWS 3.5t v6 supercharged. Every option but digital dash and 825 watt meridian sound system. It is a CPO and when I got it it had 30K miles. They come with a 5 year 60K mile bumper to bumper warranty - the CPO extends that to 7 years 100K. So I am covered under warranty until 2024.

r124 any luxury car is going to be expensive to repair which is why I ALWAYS get a late model with a warranty left and possibly a CPO warranty.

by Anonymousreply 125July 2, 2021 12:12 AM

What is your point R125? BTW, you sound needy for attention.

by Anonymousreply 126July 2, 2021 12:17 AM

R125- Why get a luxury car at all. They're expensive to purchase, maintain and repair. Buy a 3 year old Toyota Camry with low mileage. They're VERY reliable and when , on rare occasions you do need a repair on them, it won't cost a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 127July 2, 2021 12:17 AM

But it's a still fucking Camry. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 128July 2, 2021 1:16 AM

If your self worth is in what type of car you drive you got problems.

by Anonymousreply 129July 2, 2021 1:22 AM

r126 I was answering r123...the point is - you can spend 24k on a toyota or 24k on a jag - same warranty, same service, sometimes better warranty - completley different driving/owning experience.

Now if you want a car that lasts 20 years and you very rarely have to repair it get a honda civic.

by Anonymousreply 130July 2, 2021 3:20 AM

R130 I am R123 and R126.

by Anonymousreply 131July 2, 2021 3:31 AM

What happened when your 3 year old Camry decides to have a break down in the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Cars are reliable but previous owners are not. You just never know what a used car has been through it how it was driven.

Which is fine if you have a mechanic in the family or don’t drive it outside of a 3 mile radius.

by Anonymousreply 132July 2, 2021 5:35 AM

R132, there’s not much damage that can be done to cars today—it’s not like years ago when cars broke down often. And you can see the history of the car and whether it had accidents.

I’ve always bought used cars that are no older than 2 years (just out of principle), and I’ve never had an issue.

by Anonymousreply 133July 2, 2021 3:54 PM

R132- You sound like a straight woman FRAU who only wants to drive a new car.

by Anonymousreply 134July 2, 2021 4:17 PM

I tried to do R116's pre-approved money, internet negotiation strategy. There is no match for greedy car salesmen. My bank pre-approved a loan for a specific car at a specific price at a specific dealership, after the price was negotiated and approved by the dealership.

When I showed up to conclude the purchase, they made me sit around and wait for 45 minutes. Then they said they didn't have the car I arranged to buy. I explained that I would not be able to purchase anything except the car referenced in the paperwork, down to the VIN. The dealership said, "No problem, we have this car over here - for $5000 more - and we can finance it for you." I said no, and the salesman disappeared, left me waiting another half hour, and I left.

My bank said they couldn't require the dealership to honor the pre-agreement. Then what is the point?

Like an idiot, I went through this aggravation twice - first with my bank, then with Costco, where the dealer also would not sell me the car I had arranged to buy.

I pretty much will only do private sales now.

by Anonymousreply 135July 3, 2021 7:01 PM

R135 I'm sorry that happened to you. But what you describe is not exactly what I do. For my last car, for example, I called my credit union and asked them for up to $75000 to purchase a new car. They emailed me a few hours later with approval. I then searched the local Mercedes dealerships' inventories and found six such vehicles at three different locations. I emailed all three fleet/Internet sales managers, agreed on a price, and went in to pick it up. Because the preapproval was not for a specific vehicle, I had plenty of leverage. At first, the guy said the car I was emailing about was no longer available, but they had this other one. I pushed my chair back and walked toward the door. He caught up with me before I stepped outside.

Of course he tried to get me to add on prepaid service, tire/wheel coverage, etc. etc., all of which I declined. But that's his job.

Since I did not yet have the funds from the credit union in my account, I had to sit down with the finance manager. It turned out that she was able to beat the deal I had arranged with my credit union, with my credit union, so it worked out very well. Other times when I used the strategy, the terms the finance department offered were not as good as those I arranged, so I signed a standard financing contract and returned the next day with a check.

by Anonymousreply 136July 3, 2021 8:03 PM

R136- Someone who would spend $75,000 on a car should not be giving advice to ANYONE.

by Anonymousreply 137July 3, 2021 8:07 PM

R137, really? Some people like luxurious cars, some people don’t.

by Anonymousreply 138July 3, 2021 10:25 PM

As long as you can afford it, why not?

by Anonymousreply 139July 3, 2021 10:30 PM

R139- As long as you're a spend thrift, why not?

by Anonymousreply 140July 3, 2021 11:25 PM

R140, are you a cheapskate? Sounds like you are.

by Anonymousreply 141July 3, 2021 11:41 PM

There are many wealthy people R141 that don't drive expensive cars.

by Anonymousreply 142July 3, 2021 11:42 PM

R142, that’s incredibly stupid logic.

by Anonymousreply 143July 4, 2021 12:00 AM

The classics, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 4, 2021 12:02 AM

I buy cars the same way R136 does. Through my credit union using a preapproved loan. Once I find the car I want, they make the bank check out to the dealer and mail it to me. The last couple cars that I have purchased had to be ordered in advance so there was plenty of time to haggle with dealers.

Dealerships don’t like it when you show up ready to pay.

by Anonymousreply 145July 4, 2021 12:06 AM

Obviously you are not wealthy and/or don't know anyone wealthy R143.

by Anonymousreply 146July 4, 2021 12:08 AM

R146, again, stupid logic. Many, many wealthy people buy extravagant things. who the hell else is buying those Mercedes, BMWs and Jaguars? It’s no anyone working at Walmart. Just because you can’t afford a luxury car, you’re trying to disparage those who can.

by Anonymousreply 147July 4, 2021 12:16 AM

^it’s not…

by Anonymousreply 148July 4, 2021 12:17 AM

You don't know what I can and can't afford and what I drive R147. Many extremely wealthy people don't drive expensive cars. A lot of people driving the Mercedes, BMW's and Jaguars are mortgaged up to the hilt. No one is impressed with your so called wealth R147

by Anonymousreply 149July 4, 2021 12:19 AM

Hey dodo, many, hell most wealthy people drive luxury cars. Seriously you’re going to argue they don’t? Hey, believe what you want in your fantasy world. And no, people are not buying 75k cars today and getting credit without serious bank. If you believe that i have some swamp land in Florida—nay, some great condos—I can sell you.

by Anonymousreply 150July 4, 2021 12:28 AM

R149, please just shut the fuck up already. Your priorities are not my priorities. Just because you are content to drive around town in some boring, utilitarian death trap does not mean others are compelled to feel the same. Some people like cars and want to drive a nice one. Who are you to judge? It’s not your money.

I think the other poster is right — you are probably just bitter. There is literally no other reason to give a shit about the car buying decisions of others.

by Anonymousreply 151July 4, 2021 12:29 AM

I grew up in a wealthy family R150 and R151. Most wealthy people don't advertise their wealth. It is the poor trying to act wealthy that think their car is the most important thing while they live in their moms basement.

by Anonymousreply 152July 4, 2021 12:31 AM

R152, horseshit. You’re not wealthy at all. So people don’t advertise their wealth according to you? Then why did you just declare you grew up in a wealthy family? Yeah. Horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 153July 4, 2021 12:35 AM

Most of my friends are wealthy. They almost all drive luxury cars, but nothing too flashy. I drive a Honda.

by Anonymousreply 154July 4, 2021 1:47 AM

Get a Volkswagen Golf! A smooth drive and so much torque.

You can buy it as a hybrid.

by Anonymousreply 155July 4, 2021 1:49 AM

Wealthy people buy cars outright, not financing them,

by Anonymousreply 156July 4, 2021 3:44 AM

R136- Do you want to be POOR? Act RICH

Do you want to be RICH? Act POOR

by Anonymousreply 157July 4, 2021 6:21 AM

r137 Hard to believe people like you exist. You don't know any people doing well in life?

by Anonymousreply 158July 4, 2021 8:37 AM

Camry

Camry

Camry

There I summarized this thread. No need to look at any other car for the next 2 decades.

by Anonymousreply 159July 4, 2021 12:38 PM

[quote]I need to get a new car. Any advice?

You're on the Datalounge. Why do you need a car?

by Anonymousreply 160July 4, 2021 12:40 PM

R159- That's right BABY

CAMRY

CAMRY

CAMRY

I currently own a 2017 Toyota Camry LE in Dark Blue. It's my FOURTH Camry and I'm happy as a clam with my Camry.

by Anonymousreply 161July 4, 2021 12:47 PM

R155- I drive a 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit which I bought brand new in March 2009. I've had few repairs in twelve years- although they were expensive. The emissions problem couldn't be fixed by my mechanic so I had to bring it to the VW dealer- ALL dealers are a rip off. It was about $1,100 or so to fix it.

by Anonymousreply 162July 4, 2021 12:50 PM

Don't buy a Infiniti. They are a total piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 163July 4, 2021 1:07 PM

R163- ALL Nissan products SUCK.

by Anonymousreply 164July 4, 2021 1:11 PM

Infiniti is actually a prime vehicle with excellent reviews r163.

by Anonymousreply 165July 4, 2021 1:34 PM

Most people I know who drive expensive luxury cars by late model used cars because they all depreciate like crazy. (teslas are the exception). Unless you are leasing and writing of the expense or just insanely rich (like 1% rich) and don't care. My boss just got a Mercedes E class land cruiser - it is a 2018 he told me he paid undeer 40K for it and then showed me the window sticker...jesus it was close to 100K new.

by Anonymousreply 166July 4, 2021 1:52 PM

Just don't buy a Toyota.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 4, 2021 2:18 PM

You should only consider an EV. Any socially aware person would only consider electric. Don't even think about a hybrid. That is more white trash than diesel.

by Anonymousreply 168July 4, 2021 2:24 PM

R168- EV's require HUGE battery packs. To extract the precious metals required for the HUGE battery packs causes a lot of environmental damage. Less damaging to the environment is driving a conventional gasoline powered car such as a Toyota Corolla.

by Anonymousreply 169July 4, 2021 2:37 PM

How does one charge an EV - unless you live in CA? Maybe I’m missing something - but I don’t see Ev charging stations anywhere on roads near me. I guess you have one built and installed at your house and never drive beyond a certain range of your house? Nah - I’ll stick with hybrid.

by Anonymousreply 170July 4, 2021 2:53 PM

[quote] That is more white trash than diesel.

Is diesel white trash? I have a Mercedes diesel...I never knew.

by Anonymousreply 171July 4, 2021 8:08 PM

I’m thinking about a Honda Insight which these days is pretty much a hybrid Civic.

by Anonymousreply 172July 4, 2021 8:20 PM

Yes, the Mazda Miata does come in automatic transmission. Here's the link for "building" the most basic Miata (there are three starting points, price-wise) for the Miata. This one (at the link) starts at ~ $25,000.

First question is: auto or manual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173July 4, 2021 8:27 PM

Actually, sorry, starts at ~ $27,000.

by Anonymousreply 174July 4, 2021 8:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!