Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Delta variant of COVID-19 a rising concern in Los Angeles County

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- While overall COVID-19 rates remain relatively low in Southern California amid continuing vaccination efforts, officials are increasingly worried about a growing threat from the delta variant.

Public health officials are reporting dozens of cases of the COVID-19 delta variant in Southern California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 25, 2021 8:30 PM

I'm unhappy with these findings.

I have been vaccinated but I continue to social distance and wear face coverings.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2021 12:38 AM

Why are there so many threads started about the Delta variant, yet not a single one of them mention in the title nor the OP that Delta is of little concern at the moment for those who are vaccinated? It's almost as if someone is trying to perpetuate unnecessary COVID fear or something . . .

Get the vax. Stop worrying.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2021 12:38 AM

I'm actually surprised Delta hasn't been acquired by American or United.

It's a shit airline that could be picked up on the cheapcheap.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2021 12:40 AM

From your article: "Health officials continuing to stress the importance of getting more shots in the arms of Americans, ***saying vaccinations are effective against the variant.***"

Get vaccinated and STFU already.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2021 12:40 AM

Unfortunately, several of my family members won’t get the vaccine. I’m frustrated with them.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote] several of my family members won’t get the vaccine. I’m frustrated with them.

Look on the bright side. If they keep refusing the vaccine, you won't have to stay frustrated with them for much longer.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2021 12:42 AM

Can you get tested for the Delta after you’ve been vaccinated?

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2021 12:46 AM

Dozens of cases out of millions of people

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2021 12:57 AM

R8 The issue is the millions of UNVACINATED people spreading the Delta variant. What part do you not get dummy?

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2021 12:59 AM

[quote] The issue is the millions of UNVACINATED people spreading the Delta variant. What part do you not get dummy?

What don't you get, jackass? If you have been vaccinated, you don't need to worry about the fucking Delta variant or any other version of COVID right now.

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2021 1:05 AM

No, you do need to worry that viral exchanges among unvaccinated will create the Epsilon mutation that Pfizer and Moderna [italic] won’t[/italic] be able to stop.

Long term consequences, if you survive, could be lifetime brain fog.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2021 1:39 AM

How do we convince the rest to get vaccinated? Most of these people are acting like the virus is over.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2021 1:44 AM

[quote]How do we convince the rest to get vaccinated?

We don’t.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2021 1:46 AM

"Excuse me! EXCUSE ME!"

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2021 2:11 AM

Call me when they have a United. Or Southwest. Or American.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2021 2:14 AM

And the centuries-old flu doesn't have variants and mutate each year, too? Yet each year before, WHO and the international medicine community research and estimate which next year's emerging new variant will be worst and tailor the newly developed vaccine version towards that--and it works (i.e., again, it helps you either not get the flu that year, or you're likely to experience much reduced symptoms of it, and neither guarantee that you won't get the flu). What don't people get...once/if they perceive that a certain variant rises to the level of not being helped by the far-reaching main Covid vaccines in use, they will develop ones they're constantly working on that cover that and those other variants, too, and we will be offered them, survive, and continue to live. People, take off the tin hats and sheep costumes and start following the logic of the science, and not the paranoia offered purposely by the likes of CNN and the New York Times!

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2021 2:25 AM

I need a drink.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2021 2:44 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2021 4:23 PM

[quote]No, you do need to worry that viral exchanges among unvaccinated will create the Epsilon mutation that Pfizer and Moderna won’t be able to stop.

Please reread R16. First, the vaccines have proven themselves equal to every mutation of the virus so far, and there's no reason to think that will change. Second, it's not difficult to develop booster shots to address any new mutations that might get out of control. Start trusting scientists and stop promoting hysteria (and stop it with these shrieking updates about what the Delta variant is doing today).

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2021 4:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2021 4:56 PM

Floriduh government workers got sick, died, but the vaxxed one didn’t contract it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2021 4:58 PM

[quote]And the centuries-old flu doesn't have variants and mutate each year, too?

Yeah, it does, that’s why each year’s vaccine for the flu is different and why we are VAXXED every year for the flu.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2021 4:59 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2021 3:38 PM

[quote] vaccinated? It's almost as if someone is trying to perpetuate unnecessary COVID fear or something . . .

So exhausted by the Covid Pollyannas. “I’m sick of my mask so I declare covid OVAH.”

These variants that are still being defeated by the vaccines are canaries in a coal mine. They show that the virus is still circulating. Why? Not enough people are vaccinated. The dumbasses who aren’t vaccinated are allowing the virus to continue to spread and to percolate in communities, and what else do viruses do when that’s the case?

They mutate.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2021 4:59 PM

Here goes R11 scaring people, super AIDS!, dangerous super strains will take over!

Who cares, get vaxxed, if you don't and die then you deserve it.

Has anyone noticed that there has been NO super strain of covid or of HIV yet? You hear that it MAY be more virulent but you never actually hear that it actually is.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2021 5:02 PM

Hmm, R8, how did COVID start in this country again?

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2021 5:15 PM

[quote] The issue is the millions of UNVACINATED people spreading the Delta variant.

Spreading it to who? Not the vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2021 5:17 PM

[quote] but many of them got heart inflammation from the vaccine. Not good.

Which resolved itself in a week or so.

Stop with this “the sky is falling!!” bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2021 5:17 PM

There is a delta plus strain, R25, so don't count your chicken just yet.

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2021 5:30 PM

For all you anti vaccs fanatics?

Did you get polio? Why not?

Waiting.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2021 5:39 PM

[quote]Spreading it to who? Not the vaccinated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2021 5:44 PM

Exactly R30

I am pro vaccine for a good reason.

My older brother (by 4 years, born 1947) contracted polio and was hospitalized for almost two years. Totally unable to move, but after many long months came home. His right arm palsied, much shorter than left arm and practically useless. Few years later, polio vaccine was available, younger brother and I were vaccinated. Seeing "crippled" (yes, that's the term people used in the 50's) kids was not very unusual in my generation. Seeing my brother's difficulties and resulting life long health issues made a lasting impression. People who refuse this vaccine are foolish.

by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2021 5:49 PM

Isn't it striking that poliovirus and smallpox virus have never mutated after all decades of vaccination? But this fucking Wuhan coronavirus just keeps on mutating every month!

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2021 6:20 PM

[quote] Isn't it striking that poliovirus and smallpox virus have never mutated after all decades of vaccination?

Because they’ve largely been eradicated. A virus can only mutate if it has a new host. If no one can get polio, it has no host nor opportunity to mutate.

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote] but many of them got heart inflammation from the vaccine. Not good.

Averages out to 12.9 incidences of this per 1,000,000 vaccinations.

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2021 6:56 PM

jesus fuckin christ on a pony…..I’m sick of these stories….can’t we have just this one summer to enjoy before the Covid-19 Variant alarm starts blaring again…..please

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2021 7:01 PM

With the news that 50% of new infections in Israel are amongst the vaccinated, the country is reinstating its indoor mask mandate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2021 7:07 PM

R37

Gee……….. thanks for that….you fuckin sadist

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2021 7:21 PM

What vaccine are the Israelis using?

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2021 7:24 PM

Oh, never mind, I see it in the article.

[quote]Israel is one of the most vaccinated countries in the world, immunizing 57% of the population with the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

Damn, that's the one I got.

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2021 7:25 PM

Perhaps they are "exercising an 'abundance' of caution"? 100/9,000,000 including children under 12. Sounds as though vaccines are working as they should.

by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2021 7:32 PM

From Australia:

“With the Delta variant, we’re seeing very fleeting contact leading to transmission. At the start of this pandemic, I spoke about 15 minutes of close contact being a concern. Now it looks like it’s five to 10 seconds that’s a concern. The risk is so much higher now than it was only a year ago.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2021 8:09 PM

It's coming for all of America JUST like the British variant.

by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2021 8:12 PM

R37, how much you want to bet it's the ultraorthodox that started it by refusing vaccines and masks

by Anonymousreply 44June 24, 2021 8:15 PM

Much of Australia is not yet fully vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2021 9:11 PM

Up next is Epsilon because this is one of the most aggressive viruses ever seen. It's relentless and will mutate over and over again as long as there are hosts, most of which have not been vaxed.

And with EVERY new mutation there's an increased risk to the already vaxed population. They might as well get going on formulating the next vaccine because this virus ain't close to being defeated.

by Anonymousreply 46June 24, 2021 9:12 PM

[quote] They might as well get going on formulating the next vaccine because this virus ain't close to being defeated.

They haven’t needed a different vaccine yet for the first four variants, why are you so certain they’ll need one for the fifth, Chicken Little?

Or are you Henny Penny?

by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2021 9:15 PM

[quote] And with EVERY new mutation there's an increased risk to the already vaxed population. They might as well get going on formulating the next vaccine because this virus ain't close to being defeated.

Thanks, but if it's all the same to you, I'll listen to the advice from the science community rather than rando fear-mongers on an anonymous message board.

by Anonymousreply 48June 24, 2021 9:28 PM

Here's your science. Start listening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 24, 2021 9:46 PM

[quote] Here's your science. Start listening.

"A Public Health England study published on 22 May found that a [. . .] second dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine boosted protection against Delta to 60% (compared to 66% against Alpha), while two doses of Pfizer’s jab were 88% effective (compared to 93% against Alpha)."

I've have a double dose of Pfizer. I'm not worried.

I do wish there were a way to get more vaccines to people in countries without it, though. That's the heartbreaking part-there are people around the world who would gladly get the vaccine, but it's not available to them.

by Anonymousreply 50June 24, 2021 10:01 PM

There's MATH involved and people are ignoring it. 60% means 4,000 out of every 10,000 vaccinated with Astra are open to infection from Delta. Even with a double dose of Pfizer, 120,00 of every million people vaccinated can get and potentially spread Delta. In countries where vax rates are so low, you see the variants efficiently developing.

Why would anyone assume the virus will stop at Delta or Delta Plus in the global unvaccinated community. Plus it's clear Covid knows no borders and as people move around the planet, it can't wait to drop into your nasal cavity as you burn your masks and ride the metro.

by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2021 10:18 PM

You really don’t understand how efficacy percentages work, do you?

by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2021 10:27 PM

[quote] There's MATH involved and people are ignoring it.

I was told there’d be no math.

by Anonymousreply 53June 24, 2021 10:28 PM

Della say: get that shot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 25, 2021 4:48 PM

[quote]Damn, that's the one I got.

Thank God I got the Moderma.

by Anonymousreply 55June 25, 2021 8:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!