Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Philly’s 2021 LGBTQ ‘Pride lite’ festival canceled as group dissolves after backlash

Roiled by community backlash, the organization behind Philadelphia’s largest annual LGBTQ Pride parade and festival for the past 28 years has abruptly dissolved and canceled its forthcoming Pride festivities, the Inquirer has learned.

The organizers behind Philly Pride Presents did not respond to multiple phone calls, voice mails, e-mails, and Facebook messages — which were shown as having been read before the group took down its Facebook page late last week.

The disbanding of the decades-old LGBTQ organization and cancellation of its September “Pride Lite” festival — moved from the typical date in June, Pride month, due to coronavirus restrictions — is the latest chapter in a tumultuous saga for Philly Pride Presents.

The most recent controversy began with a Facebook post from the nonprofit group on June 10, which drew swift castigation from some members of the community for using transphobic language to describe patrons of the Stonewall Inn, whose actions during an uprising against police on June 28, 1969 are widely attributed as the birthplace of the modern LGBTQ rights movement. The post also drew scrutiny for casting police officers as victims, when LGBTQ people were subject to police abuse. Within hours, the post, and others regarding Pride month vanished from the group’s page without explanation.

On June 17, the group posted an apology to its page, saying its senior adviser in charge of making Facebook posts had resigned and that Pride organizers were “deeply sorry that these posts unintentionally offended and hurt the LGBTQ+ black, brown and trans community.” Then again, within hours — after mounting online criticism, an earlier column from Philadelphia Magazine, and questions from a reporter — the group’s Facebook page disappeared altogether, and large portions of its website were removed from public view. By Monday, Philly Pride Presents’ phone line was disconnected.

A city spokesperson said Philly Pride Presents “does not have a formal relationship with the City of Philadelphia” nor did the non-profit 501(c)3 organization receive any funding from the city.

But, Celena Morrison, executive director of Philadelphia’s Office of LGBT Affairs, said that the office “has heard and shared the community’s concerns regarding Philly Pride Presents’ social media presence.”

“While this recent development is still unfolding, we understand the community’s need for a new vision of what LGBTQ+ Pride looks like here in Philadelphia,” Morrison said. “The Office of LGBT Affairs has been in conversation with community leaders and activists as they prepare to reimagine Pride, and we look forward to supporting the many celebrations, rallies, protests, and programming already happening across the city, as the future of Pride in Philadelphia emerges — one that is reflective of the many diverse experiences of our city’s LGBTQ+ communities.”

The group disbanding, is “definitely a win, for the community collectively,” said Abdul-Aliy Muhammad, a West Philadelphia-based writer, organizer, and cofounder of the Black and Brown Workers Cooperative, who for years has fought against racism in Philadelphia’s Gayborhood and worked to hold the Office of LGBT Affairs accountable to the concerns of many Black and brown members of the community.

Black and brown LGBTQ organizers are in the process of planning an event in the place of the September pride, with details to come, they said.

“It allows for something new to be born,” Muhammad said. “It allows for something resonant with Black and brown queer and trans people in the city, for all LGBTQ folks in the city, to have a space that’s truly held by the people in our community.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 28, 2021 3:24 AM

I just know to vote this stuff out. That’s all.

by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2021 12:19 AM

I'm not surprised.

Sydney's Mardi-Gras Pride Parade is infested with Virtue-Signallers, Heterosexual freeloaders and Corporate Freeloaders wanting cheap advertising exposure.

They're not fun and gay anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2021 12:19 AM

The times they are a-changin', it's a-blowin in the wind. You can't stop the beat.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2021 12:32 AM

Philly Pride Presents disbanding, is “definitely a win, for the community collectively,” said Abdul-Aliy Muhammad, a West Philadelphia-based writer, organizer, and cofounder of the Black and Brown Workers Co-operative (BBWC), who for years has fought against racism in Philadelphia’s Gayborhood and worked to hold the Office of LGBT Affairs accountable to the concerns of many Black and brown members of the community.

Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2021 12:32 AM

Abdul = trouble-maker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2021 12:35 AM

[quote]Philly Pride Presents disbanding, is “definitely a win, for the community collectively,” said Abdul-Aliy Muhammad

Fucking conservatives could only dream of what these assholes are doing—this Islamic garbage Muhammed, whatever the fuck.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2021 12:35 AM

'Cause you cant stop the motion of the ocean /Or the sun in the sky/Or the Next generation just doing what they wanna doo.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2021 12:37 AM

[quote] Roiled by community backlash… …

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2021 12:40 AM

Our city council if our college town agreed to establishing a truth and reconciliation committee in response to BLM. The committee has imploded with calls for resignations and do-overs and patience from the community.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2021 1:52 AM

r2, only freeper idiots use "virtue signaling" as an insult

What kind of gay organization pretends that homophobic cops are victims?

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2021 2:03 AM

[quote]The committee has imploded with calls for resignations and do-overs and patience from the community.

This is good to hear.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2021 2:05 AM

Ernest Own is an ass. I can’t believe the Inquirer hired him. He’s like a Tucker Carlson for the left - making huge drama out of minor issues purely to get attention for himself. Why doesn’t Ernest run it then? He is so perfect and criticizes everything - but offers no support or work to actually improve the Philly gay community. Expect more unnecessary, ridiculous, self promoting “scandals” from Ernest. He is a worthless left wing version of Milo.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2021 2:51 AM

Gays and lesbians should reclaim our flag and reclaim the words gay and lesbian. Forget LGBTQIA2+. Forget trans. Forget making race an issue at gay events. We were always welcoming to people of all races and to the trans community. Trans and racial minorities can have their own organizations where they can talk about their unique issues, and they can be a part of our community, but they can’t take over our events. We are being erased.

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2021 3:05 AM

Any comment yet from DL fave Brian Sims?

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2021 3:06 AM

Now we can't just be gay. Do we now need to add our race after "gay". I think Philly pride was trying to send a message.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2021 3:14 AM

The end is near for gays.

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2021 3:16 AM

In terms of marketing and brouhaha, what is the actually percentage of the community trans, black and brown. Is this the majority, there is serious gay erasure happening for Pride and it's all reflected in the marketing from major corporations.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2021 3:18 AM

Vote all the Ds next year—FTW!

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2021 3:19 AM

Vote OUT!

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2021 3:19 AM

I'm beginning to think that the trans community is actually a secret plot by some nefarious power to destroy the gay and lesbian community.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2021 3:20 AM

[R10], only imbeciles think "virtue signaling" is something wonderful and meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2021 3:21 AM

Someone got pissed off royally after gay marriage was legalized, R20.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2021 3:22 AM

what r20 said.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2021 3:30 AM

They couldn't get all those egos in one room.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2021 3:35 AM

R10 that actually isn't true. Just like "snowflake" it's being used by people on different sides. What you really mean is that you accuse anyone of using language you personally have decided is right-wing and therefore they are right wing as well.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2021 3:44 AM

What exactly did they post that was "transphobic"? Did they post the TRUTH about the Stonewall riots, that they were not, in fact, started by trans women of color?

They caused the organization to implode, so presumably the future festivals will be centered around trans, which is the goal for everything it would seem.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2021 3:46 AM

Fuck off with that, r18. The Republicans are far worse on every level. The Democrats are not ALL homophobic bigots, it's just a matter of reclaiming the LGB from the rest of the alphabet soup again. The trans rights activists have piggybacked off of gay rights and organizations and taken them over, - the Trevor Project, Stonewall, HRC, GLAAD - all are how focused on trans issues to the detriment of gays and women.

This isn't like the UK where you have multiple parties to choose from. We have two parties here in the US and have to take back the conversation from trans, not vote in a party that is abhorrent to gays AND trans, and pretty much everyone and everything else. That's just idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2021 3:50 AM

Trans ruin everything.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2021 4:03 AM

[quote] The end is near for gays.

Yes, I think you might be right

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2021 4:06 AM

Someone said here that other groups are weaponizing the gay and lesbian communities' tolerance against them.

That's the most concise and real statement of all of this drama.

They want their own flags, their own spaces, and prominent promotion from the gay and lesbian community and in all of our events. Then they turn around and call us all bigots.

I recognize that this happens because of a vocal minority - but nobody seems to be telling them to shut the fuck up or stop being disrespectful either.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2021 4:07 AM

We're not allowed anything of our own anymore - fuck the TQ+

The sooner we get rid of the alphabet 'lead balloon' tethered to our resources and identity, the better.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2021 4:41 AM

I'm in total support of Trans folks. And I recognize the role some particular folks played in sexual/gender minority history. I wouldn't ever deny that.

But I also can't help but notice that a lot of "LGBTQ+" discourse, especially in social media, now basically has almost made gay and lesbian an afterthought, or like we're being completely written out of our own record. As if gay men and women, and particularly gay men (of all shades and colors, masc and fem, etc.), did nothing for themselves and somehow had it all done by someone else. I've even seen sentiments saying gay men should basically just get out of the way and shut up because "you had your time". Also, the amount of disrespect from some of the younger folks who don't seem to understand that the word 'Queer' still holds a hell of a lot of pain and darkness for certain folks (particularly of a certain generation), and that it wouldn't hurt to be a little more mindful of how/where/when you use that term. Or that even 'gay' is considered privileged now...

Our history was pushed forward by a diverse set of identities for the last century...and yes, many folks haven't gotten their just due in the historical record. Perfectly understandable. And yet the historical gatekeepers seem to think the answer to that is wash out the 'gay' through some sort of historical revisionism. I find that concerning. There's a deep seated internalized homophobia in the LGBTQ+ "community", and it's time to address that.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2021 5:50 AM

A few weeks ago, I was in Portland visiting the family of a friend of mine and they were all lovely people and about as progressive/left/whatever as can be. I mentioned some of my concerns I have over current trans ideology and its implication for gays, women, etc. and I was swiftly canceled and my position was called a 'hot take'. They were all heterosexuals, mind you.

I am getting a bit discouraged as a gay man even talking about this sort of thing anymore.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2021 6:14 AM

As a gay man, I can't begin to tell you all how grateful I am that I have others who are NOT under the gay and lesbian umbrella, like the trans and non-binary and heterosexuals, to tell me what I should and should not be offended by, and what I am allowed and not allowed to say. /sarcasm

I get really tired of living in this world sometimes.

R32, agree with your entire post.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2021 6:52 AM

You MUST wear a dress to Pride to show us solidarity and decide not to is LITERAL VIOLENCE!

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2021 7:02 AM

R31 right? Instead of *that woman who wore men's clothes in the 1800s was a trailblazing Lesbian" they turn them trans. It is incredibly homophobic. "She wasn't really a gay woman, all! She was a man in a woman's body!"

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2021 12:13 PM

R33 it's insane. There are actual biologist doctors on Twitter who talk about science and rationality and all that and then once the t-subject is broached they say TRANS WOMEN ARE WOMEN and run away from the conversation. I just saw a conversation where a blue check doctor was saying that there was no difference between men and women in sports and that everyone should be sorted based on ability, like a 200 pound woman is the same as a 200 pound man.

Someone said "the man would be stronger than the woman, are you going to test for strength too?"

The doctor runs away with a "if you're going to refer to trans women as men, I'm bowing out of this conversation."

Of course the real reason was likely because he knew he didn't have a scientific leg to stand on when he was debating someone on his level. But that doesn't stop him from saying "I'm a doctor, this is all fine" to the masses.

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2021 12:18 PM

[quote]I'm in total support of Trans folks.

I’m not and that’s not terrible to say. People assume it’s “terrible” because it’s leftwing, but I have news for you: many of these individuals, maybe even more than even I realize, are rightwing. I am not in support of this just like I’m not in support of the ex-gay movement. I will try to stop this movement by voting against Democrats who support it but if they win, then I hope they legalize the ex-gay movement again. It’s only fair.

by Anonymousreply 38June 22, 2021 12:24 PM

There will never be justice in the land until underage disabled black trans pedophiles are seen as PEOPLE with NEEDS!

Why can’t people give RESPECT to those it is due, just as you would to any other tinted teenaged crumpled tranny?

by Anonymousreply 39June 22, 2021 12:25 PM

[quote] The group disbanding, is “definitely a win, for the community collectively,” said Abdul-Aliy Muhammad, a West Philadelphia-based writer, organizer, and cofounder of the Black and Brown Workers Cooperative

See? Communists actively ruin our movement (and the good will we worked for) and hate us. Gay rights are not about race issues, and they are not about fucking trannies!

by Anonymousreply 40June 22, 2021 12:27 PM

It took several members of my family more than thirty years to fully accept my homosexuality. Now I sense some are scratching their heads trying to keep up with all this extra nonsense.

I don't want to be lumped in with this clown show.

by Anonymousreply 41June 22, 2021 12:50 PM

[quote]Now I sense some are scratching their heads trying to keep up with all this extra nonsense.

Are they kind of for it? Have they asked you if you were trans?

by Anonymousreply 42June 22, 2021 12:51 PM

[quote]It took several members of my family more than thirty years to fully accept my homosexuality.

And why would you still associate with these people? Meh. Everyone’s different.

by Anonymousreply 43June 22, 2021 1:00 PM

R41 it's like we couldn't just be happy with gay marriage for a nice period of time, and immediately jumped into trans and nonbinaries and other gender stuff. I guess all the formerly gay orgs wanted to keep existing so they switched to a new trend to get donations.

by Anonymousreply 44June 22, 2021 1:03 PM

[quote] What exactly did they post that was "transphobic"? Did they post the TRUTH about the Stonewall riots, that they were not, in fact, started by trans women of color?

I recently challenged someone on FB (an acquaintance of a friend) who claimed that Marsha P. Johnson “started Stonewall.” I cited him two interviews where she said she wasn’t even there when it started and The NY Times article about her involvement in the movement — but not that she started the riot. He went apeshit. It then became “gay, white men have denied Marsha’s involvement for decades” and apparently we are still doing it today — even though I acknowledged that she was involved, but didn’t start anything.

This myth has taken a very firm hold. I, for one, refuse to sit silently by and let it continue to be perpetuated.

by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2021 1:57 PM

I don't think they challenged the history rewrite / fantasy account of Stonewall - I believe they referred to the participants as "trannies".

by Anonymousreply 46June 22, 2021 2:03 PM

R45 I've noticed this a hell of a lot lately. It's scary as hell. No one is denying Marsha's incredible role in gay history, and at Stonewall...but it's been documented multiple times that she didn't start it the first night. Nobody knows who actually did. Many say it was a lesbian, possibly, but no respected institution or individual has been able to say for sure. Why they keep trying to rewrite this is just unnecessary. Doesn't take anything away from Marsha's place in history.

by Anonymousreply 47June 22, 2021 2:04 PM

"It allows for something resonant with Black and brown queer and trans people in the city, for all LGBTQ folks in the city, to have a space that’s truly held by the people in our community.”

Like what exactly? You take away a Pride festival for hundreds of thousands of people because of a few people's demands?

This is just like what happened in Canada a few years ago (Edmonton?). I'd like to read the minutes of the meetings and see what went down.

Let them start their own thing then. They want white gays and lesbians to be GUESTS of their own Pride festival. This isn't about inclusivity.

by Anonymousreply 48June 22, 2021 2:12 PM

[quote] The Democrats are not ALL homophobic bigots

True, not all.

by Anonymousreply 49June 22, 2021 2:18 PM

I've given up on this toxic community. If the LGBs don't draw their own conclusions and consequences from these types of attacks, nobody can help them.

I'm just curious what will come after the grifters and Twitter activists have taken over however. My guess is nothing will come of it... These people are unable to build anything, they only tear everything down.

by Anonymousreply 50June 22, 2021 2:29 PM

[quote] Why they keep trying to rewrite this is just unnecessary.

R47, this is a way of erasing gay men and lesbians from our own history. The underlying subtext is to elevate trans people over LGB — even though Marsha never claimed to be trans — by granting her this mythical status as the instigator of the seminal fight to end our oppression. “You owe it all to us.” By appropriating this position for a person who said they weren’t there, people perpetuating this falsehood rob all those who were there and who fought during the riots and the early days of the movement of the credit they are due.

by Anonymousreply 51June 22, 2021 2:38 PM

R51 - not just pre-Stonewall or the early days after Stonewall - it took DECADES of hard fighting by hundreds of thousands of people.

And if we don't stand with them and their demands, then they'll turn it around and call us racists and transphobic and how THEY supported gays and lesbians all these years. Did they? How?

The most disturbing is how many - young and old - are just blindly going along with all of this.

by Anonymousreply 52June 22, 2021 2:40 PM

[quote]No one is denying Marsha's incredible role in gay history

He did not have "an incredible role in gay history." It's a fucking apocryphal lie; stop perpetuating it.

by Anonymousreply 53June 22, 2021 2:41 PM

[quote] I believe they referred to the participants as "trannies".

A stupid, dunderheaded, insensitive, idiotic thing to do. In print? 🙄 What a moron.

by Anonymousreply 54June 22, 2021 2:41 PM

I wonder if the remnant can just reform and call themselves Real Gay Pride or something and have their own event. It's sad it comes to this, but it seems the only way. Trans welcome to come, but not to lead.

And I seriously doubt that Trans event will ever happen, as it would involve actual effort beyond shrieking on twitter.

by Anonymousreply 55June 22, 2021 2:49 PM

No one wants to come and hang with trannies. 0 people would come to a Tranny Pride because it would just be a communist circle jerk.

You can name at least 5 positive stereotypes of gays/lesbians that were cultivated through hard work and interpersonal relations. This is why Gay Pride went popular and mainstream.

Name ONE positive stereotype about trannies. Fucking one. You can't.

by Anonymousreply 56June 22, 2021 2:52 PM

[quote]A stupid, dunderheaded, insensitive, idiotic thing to do. In print? 🙄 What a moron.

Well they call us “dykes” and “queers”.

by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2021 3:01 PM

This is only going to get worse.

by Anonymousreply 58June 22, 2021 3:02 PM

[quote]This is only going to get worse.

Then you vote them out. And if they get violent, you’ll have “law and order” Republicans who’ll take care of it.

by Anonymousreply 59June 22, 2021 3:03 PM

R48, it was Edmonton where something similar happened. I've seen this happen in women's organizations as well. The Ts and 'gender queers' will use minorities/POC like a shield, so you can't criticize them because then you'd be criticizing POC and that would make you a racist. It's no accident that they glommed on to Marsha P. Johnson and Silvia Rivera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 22, 2021 3:32 PM

When transwomen started getting women's only events and lesbian only events cancelled, a lot of us said we'd be next.

by Anonymousreply 61June 22, 2021 3:40 PM

In stead of taking over Pride, I don't understand why the trans and "queers" just don;'t start their own parade. Yeah I know, they want all of our money and funding but maybe we should just start over and let them have the tatters of what will inevitably devolve into mismanagement and infighting.

by Anonymousreply 62June 22, 2021 3:48 PM

When Heritage of Pride in NYC banned police and the gay police organization there was a Zoom meeting of the members who reversed it by a vote. The leaders of Heritage of Pride met immediately afterward and voted to reverse the reverse.

by Anonymousreply 63June 22, 2021 3:53 PM

[quote] Well they call us “dykes” and “queers”.

Not really the same when you have lesbians, calling themselves “Dykes on Bikes,” leading many Pride parades around the country. As far as queer, the word has a complicated history, especially with the use of the word in titles such as Queer as Folk and Queer Eye For the Straight Guy.

by Anonymousreply 64June 22, 2021 5:20 PM

But I don’t like those either. Oh well. Guess I have to live with it.

by Anonymousreply 65June 22, 2021 6:10 PM

R54 uh, it's not THAT bad. It wasn't until maybe 7-8 years ago that "tranny" became a swear word. It's also totally ridiculous because trans use "TERF" like the n-word, and have no problem labeling everyone the offensive "cis", "queer" and throwing around the f-slur.

They are just looking for things to be offended by. First they decided transvestite was bad, then tranny, then "sex change operation", and on and on and on.

I guarantee you something common in the language around sex and gender right now will be declared offensive by a trans in the next year and everyone will be forced to use whatever new term they come up with.

by Anonymousreply 66June 22, 2021 8:20 PM

R64 queer isn't the same in the US as in the UK. It's offensive to many older gay men in the US. And don't get me started on the f-slur, which younger gays now are using as a perjorative for other gay men, and somehow that's okay now, even though many have said they are still uncomfortable with it.

And Lesbians can call THEMSELVES dykes. However I don't think they care nearly as much about it and it's not as offensive a word to them.

However, if you call a trans a tranny or misuse someone's neopronouns, you are LITERALLY ERASING THEIR EXISTENCE now. Come on.

It's all part of the culture of extreme narcissism that has overwhelmed the west with the rise of social media. All is about the individual and their feelings above everything else.

by Anonymousreply 67June 22, 2021 8:24 PM

[quote]The group disbanding, is “definitely a win, for the community collectively,” said Abdul-Aliy Muhammad, a West Philadelphia-based writer, organizer, and cofounder of the Black and Brown Workers Cooperative

Nothing needed to be written or read after that sentence. It explains everything.

by Anonymousreply 68June 22, 2021 8:32 PM

Is there a copy of the original Facebook page that started the squabble?

by Anonymousreply 69June 22, 2021 8:36 PM

I believe this is the original post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70June 22, 2021 8:45 PM

Thanks R70. I guess the phrase "those dressed as women" was the kicker.

by Anonymousreply 71June 22, 2021 9:04 PM

It probably was r71, which of course is monumentally stupid. It was illegal to be dressed as a woman, and I assume that is what the poster was talking about. But what's the point of being a crazed and bitter activist if you can't be mortally offended every day by something you are too stupid to understand?

by Anonymousreply 72June 22, 2021 9:10 PM

But how many were dressed as women? A vast majority of the pictures show men. White men.

by Anonymousreply 73June 22, 2021 9:14 PM

R66 and R67, I stand by my original statement that if an LGBT Pride organization used the word “tranny” in June 2021 it would have been a very stupid thing to do in just about every context, but especially if the piece is intended for wide distribution. (Although if R70 has posted a link to the original blurb, that word was not used.) It doesn’t really matter if people on Twitter use all manner of slurs against gays and lesbians — which are awful and should be condemned — because that is not license to use that term.

[quote] However, if you call a trans a tranny or misuse someone's neopronouns, you are LITERALLY ERASING THEIR EXISTENCE now. Come on.

I am a gay man and I don’t like the word queer and I loathe and detest the use of the word “cis.” But I just don’t think that it is that onerous of a burden for people to refrain from using a term that is objectionable to members of the Trans community regardless of whether some Trans people use terms offensive to those of us who are gay.

by Anonymousreply 74June 22, 2021 9:14 PM

Both political parties have sold out to the radical elements.

by Anonymousreply 75June 22, 2021 9:37 PM

The centrists to keep fighting and not give up. Keep running for office, even if you lose. Keep fighting!

by Anonymousreply 76June 22, 2021 9:40 PM

I just went to the Wikipedia page to see how it is described and the phrase is used. "The raid did not go as planned. Standard procedure was to line up the patrons, check their identification and have female police officers take customers dressed as women to the bathroom to verify their sex, upon which any people appearing to be physically male and dressed as women would be arrested."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77June 22, 2021 9:41 PM

That post actually seems very defensible r70. But of course there is a pattern to these things: the perpetually aggrieved go into full shriek mode, everyone else goes into lockdown and craven apologies. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 78June 22, 2021 9:43 PM

So, they didn't use the word "tranny" like someone claimed up thread.

No one was trans back then. They were transvestites and drag queens.

Yet somehow it's "transphobic" to describe the transvestites and drag queens as... Men dressed as women. Because they were, actually, men dressed as women.

They're nuts. I expect the disbanding was the head guy (who likely wrote that) saying, "you know what? Fuck all of this" and throwing in the towel. Why deal with that mess?

by Anonymousreply 79June 22, 2021 10:02 PM

R77 LITERAL VIOLENCE!

by Anonymousreply 80June 22, 2021 10:05 PM

R74 you're in luck, they didn't use the word tranny!

by Anonymousreply 81June 22, 2021 10:06 PM

R75 no, they haven't. That is why we don't have President Bernie Sanders. Democrats may have some issues with this, but Republicans are wholly terrible on just about every aspect, so it's just not valid to "both sides" this.

The issue with trans being rulers of the lgbTqia+ was slow and insidious, and didn't reach a head until the past ten years when it seems as if everyone just went totally insane.

You add in social media mob justice and cancelling, and it's been taken too far, they have way overstepped, and people are starting to fight back. It didn't happen overnight and won't disappear overnight.

by Anonymousreply 82June 22, 2021 10:11 PM

The problem with the T community was that they saw that we were having such a good time and we were getting funding for Pride events, that they got on our coat tails and had some of that action. With the funding came paid 'campaigning staff', who then needed offices and all sorts of government funded projects to work on to justify their funding.

The essence of Pride was lost some time ago, I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 83June 22, 2021 10:32 PM

R74, your "it's bad for young LGBTQ people to use slurs against gays but we should never say tranny" argument has a quasi-doormat sound to it. I wonder when was the last time you condemned one of these jerks for saying "faggot."

by Anonymousreply 84June 22, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote] argument has a quasi-doormat sound to it

Hardly. You misconstrued my argument. Simply because some people have used a slur somewhere on social media, even multiple times, doesn’t give anyone license to respond in kind and use a slur that the other group finds offensive. Where does that get us? You demean yourself by using those words knowing that they are disparaging terms, and you offend members of that other community who have never used a term that you find offensive.

I haven’t heard any young LGBTQ people using that word. But the last time someone hurled the “faggot” epithet at me, I told the fucker off. And the time before that, and the one before that.

by Anonymousreply 85June 22, 2021 11:18 PM

R85 I've heard and read the Ts and Q's use the f-slur, quite frequently, as a perjorative. Because they don't consider themselves to be gay.

However I'm not going to kill myself over it. Use the word tranny, and you're LITERALLY KILLING THEM and causing them to commit suicide. It's the sense of proportion that is totally off.

by Anonymousreply 86June 23, 2021 3:55 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 23, 2021 3:55 AM

So dumb.

"The problems came to a tipping point last week when the group posted a description of the Stonewall Riots on Facebook, which made reference to "those dressed as women."

Stephens says the wording was transphobic.

"These were Black and brown trans women who helped kickstart the Stonewall Riots from which pride was birthed," she said.

With backlash building, the group posted an explanation, apologizing."

by Anonymousreply 88June 23, 2021 4:10 AM

[quote]They are just looking for things to be offended by. First they decided transvestite was bad, then tranny, then "sex change operation", and on and on and on.

"Front hole."

"Chest feeding."

"Pregnant people."

by Anonymousreply 89June 23, 2021 4:18 AM

R89 how dare you say our choice of forced language to redefine the female sex is offensive! That is so transphobic I could suicide myself right now!

by Anonymousreply 90June 23, 2021 4:29 AM

Let's be frank: The current trans movement is homophobic, illiberal, manipulative, anti-intellectual, anti-science, anti-history, anti-facts (actually anti-reality), verbally (and sometimes physically) violent, disingenuous, kink-obsessed, sex work-obsessed, grifting, narcissistic, and always looking to be offended. I'm sure that there are still many lovely, old-school transsexuals out there, but they don't have anything to say anymore.

I don't know why people are still surprised by it. We've been trying to tell you for years.

The "few bad apples" excuse simply doesn't work anymore if, year after year, the idiocy continues to grow at an exponential rate.

by Anonymousreply 91June 23, 2021 4:56 AM

[quote] A few weeks ago, I was in Portland visiting the family of a friend of mine and they were all lovely people and about as progressive/left/whatever as can be. I mentioned some of my concerns I have over current trans ideology and its implication for gays, women, etc. and I was swiftly canceled and my position was called a 'hot take'. They were all heterosexuals, mind you.

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 92June 23, 2021 5:06 AM

To (R30)(R31) and (R32)...I agree with you ...Fuck them!! They are trying to erase the white gays and Lesbians, and re-write Stonewall(revisionist History, just like dtrump tries to do every time he opened his mouth). They figure if they scream loud enough, the white gays-lesbians will back down scared(you not allowed to upset them-disagree with them). It's interesting whats happening in Philly, these people are crazy. Wait until they try to start talking to the "Money people" in Philly to try to fund their tranny parade!! More to cum

by Anonymousreply 93June 23, 2021 5:41 AM

Ernest writes shit in his bio like Ernest Owens the III, award-winning President of Ernest Owens Media Empire. He pads his resume like a two-year-old. He knows he’s a fraud and not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 94June 23, 2021 8:20 AM

[quote] I believe they referred to the participants as "trannies".

No they didn’t. It was their take on police and not claiming that a trans woman of color started it.

by Anonymousreply 95June 23, 2021 8:25 AM

R92 hasn’t talked to any of today’s heterosexual white woke liberals. I totally believe that this happened because I’ve witnessed this shit firsthand.

by Anonymousreply 96June 23, 2021 8:26 AM

R89 The terms they use to describe women always make me picture something out of a body horror movie. Seriously calling someone a "front hole" sounds very Cronenberg.

by Anonymousreply 97June 23, 2021 11:20 AM

This is the new normal.

by Anonymousreply 98June 23, 2021 11:34 AM

This is extreme liberalism at play folks

It's just as bad as extreme conservatism

by Anonymousreply 99June 23, 2021 11:59 AM

Ernest Owens is the "Useless black version" of Crazy crippled Miss Madison Cawthorn, the useless home-schooled neo-nazi congressman from N Carolina. He was the CEO of his own company...which had one employee-Miss Madison Cawthorn. These stupid people in his district knew this and still elected this"cray-cray depends wearing cripple into office" Both Ernest& Miss Madison really believe their Shit don't stink.

by Anonymousreply 100June 23, 2021 5:27 PM

And that's it, the biggest mistake of all was adding the T on LGB, and now we're paying a huge price for this.

Women being erased (including spaces, sports and language)

Gays and (especially) lesbians being erased.

Our homoSEXuality is considered "phobic".

Our spaces being taken over by narcissist fetishist heterosexuals.

Our history being erased/rewritten by the trannies.

"cis", "genital preferences".

Biology is "transphobic", etc...

And there are people here who still think that the "progressive" left STILL care about us LGB people or women... the fact is the things will get even more worse, and being gay is not lucrative as being trans, since big organizations and media support the nonsensical tranny ideology and the pharma behind it. Times have changed, it's not only conservatives against us and our rights.

We're literally alone politically, and there are no one to fight for us and our sex-based rights.

The future look scary for us.

by Anonymousreply 101June 23, 2021 6:49 PM

The new Philly Pride parade is gonna be a "SHITSHOW" (if it happens at all) Wait until they try to raise money for the "black trans parade"

by Anonymousreply 102June 23, 2021 7:16 PM

There will be no black trans parade.

by Anonymousreply 103June 23, 2021 7:17 PM

R101, it's fucked up, but I also see an opportunity here.

Radicals are shitty at keeping power or influence. The vast majority of people in Western society doesn't care about minority identity politics. These people are political moderates, they just want to live their mainstream lives and secretly want others to just conform to their mainstream lifestyle as well.

In my experience, at least in Central and Western Europe, homosexuality has become so normalized, we have so many moderate and conservative gay and lesbian role models, that even most of our conservatives don't really worry about gay and lesbians anymore, as long as they conform to society's norms. (Sure, there is still homophobia, but it's much less open now, and even conservative parties will pay lip service to gays and lesbians.) Gays and lesbians have become stock characters in TV shows, they have positive stereotypes associated with them, and most importantly they are not perceived as a threat. All in all, gays and lesbians have made strides in gaining a relatively good standing in mainstream society--as long as they don't get their freak on. In contrast, the T and Queer crowd is perceived as a weird and pitiable freak show. They do provoke all these negative reactions, not only because their politics are outlandish but because they have not arrived in mainstream society yet (and probably won't for a long time).

So, my advice is: Get over the old LGB reflex to take the side of the underdog; especially, if the underdog will bite you as soon as it's opportune. No, instead, stick to the straight mainstream majority. Openly distance yourself from the freak show. Show the mainstream straight people that you don't care for all these absurd political demands. My experience is that, compared to the clown show, you will be welcomed with open arms, even by conservatives (except for hardcore right-wingers, but fuck them!). If we manage to form this type of alliance, the fringe freaks can reee as much as they want, they will never get very far.

by Anonymousreply 104June 23, 2021 7:26 PM

I would be delighted to attend and contribute money to a parade called Gay Pride, with Dykes on Bikes, trannies on floats, no corporate sponsors, gay and lesbian police, both in the parade and providing security, and one rainbow flag for everyone of any color, sex or subculture. Until that happens, the rest of this shit isn't worth my attention.

by Anonymousreply 105June 23, 2021 7:39 PM

Do we have to have the trannies on floats?

Also let's make sure bi people are excluded, because they don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 106June 23, 2021 9:33 PM

R106 The Tranny float can be street whores trying to drum up trade, then rolling said trade,and doing drugs.

by Anonymousreply 107June 23, 2021 9:35 PM

R107 OHHHH, I understand now. The old guard transsexuals who were tough and cool, not the new ones who shriek over "dead names" and pronouns and threaten to suicide themselves if they're misgendered.

Anyone with blue or purple hair should also be banned as they are clearly nonbinary.

by Anonymousreply 108June 23, 2021 9:38 PM

R108 Sylvia was a car wash cunt, who with her boyfriend rolled and beat up gay men. Pile of worthless shit.

by Anonymousreply 109June 23, 2021 10:29 PM

I just watched the finale of Drag Race s11 and there's an homage to gay rights - RuPaul specifically shows a photo of Marsha while she voice overs "threw the first brick".

Gay history is erased.

by Anonymousreply 110June 23, 2021 10:41 PM

Time to stop watching, R110. It really is the best thing you can do.

by Anonymousreply 111June 23, 2021 10:44 PM

I tried to warn you.

by Anonymousreply 112June 23, 2021 10:58 PM

"Squirrels. Death." really was a cry for help!

by Anonymousreply 113June 23, 2021 11:03 PM

That's why I love JK Rowling, a true LGB ally. The first and only big name against this homophobic/misogynistic madness.

by Anonymousreply 114June 24, 2021 12:39 AM

JK Rowling really helped support the pushback that had already started in the UK with things like the LGB Alliance. She is a truly amazing woman.

Now the gender insanity continues to unravel in the UK, and hopefully it will progress across the pond to where it started, in the US.

by Anonymousreply 115June 24, 2021 1:09 AM

There a number of issues here, all from a Perfect Storm.

When Gay Marriage became legal in the Western World it quickly became apparent that Gay Rights advocates and charities could no longer count on substantial donations, they needed to find another cause.

It would have made sense to fight for homophobia internally or even take the fight overseas to the many countries with imprisonment or even the Death Penalty, but no they went internally. Remember charities need money and pay executives. They are not going to say “ That’s all folks” . Itis about the money and power.

The second thing that has happened is that this Generation has grown up with the anything is possible motto. You can be anything you want to be. Your Pansexual ? Your a Pansexual. You want to be a Merman ? Power to you. You have problems fitting in at school, going through puberty? May be you are in the wrong body? You want the highest victim points? Go Trans.

I have never met a Trans person I have not liked, but in my experience they tend to shy away from being pushed to the limelight.

Mark my words there are lawsuits waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 116June 24, 2021 1:39 AM

[quote] I would be delighted to attend and contribute money to a parade called Gay Pride, with . . . . no corporate sponsors

Good luck with that. The costs for producing a parade are exorbitant.

by Anonymousreply 117June 24, 2021 1:52 AM

We didn't need corporate sponsors in the 80s.

They're freeloading virtue-signallers.

by Anonymousreply 118June 24, 2021 1:59 AM

[italic]"The most recent controversy began with a Facebook post from the nonprofit group on June 10, which drew swift castigation from some members of the community for using transphobic language to describe patrons of New York City’s Stonewall Inn, whose actions during an uprising against police on June 28, 1969, are widely attributed as the birthplace of the modern LGBTQ rights movement".[/italic]

The article states that the catalyst for the dissolving of the Pride Organizers group was this specific Facebook post (linked). I'm just not sure where the transphobic language is?

What am I missing here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 24, 2021 2:24 AM

The "transphobic" language is "those dressed as women" rather than "black and brown transwomen."

by Anonymousreply 120June 24, 2021 2:46 AM

The other "transphobic" language is because it didn't center "transwomen and especially transwomen of color" above everyone else in the celebration of Pride, mention how transwomen have a 50% suicide rate (or whatever the ridiculous number they keep increasing is) and how all should praise them for all gay rights, forever.

There's a reason they are eating the gay pride rainbow on the new flag.

by Anonymousreply 121June 24, 2021 3:23 AM

It used to be the rainbow represented all of us, similar to Fred Hampton's and Jesse Jackson's rainbow coalitions. Since it looks like the pride flag will require even more colors for the sub-groups within sub-groups that never divided us before, why don't we adopt the colors of the handkerchiefs which symbolized what we enjoyed with each other. We looked for connections, and it didn't matter who you were to find people who were like-minded without cause for argument.

There are over 100 Crayola colors, there's one for everybody. I'll relate to a bodybuilder with pierced nipples, a Prince Albert and a big, untamed bush. I was looking for him anyway, and it would be so much easier to find him.

by Anonymousreply 122June 24, 2021 3:26 AM

RuPaul really pushed the Marsha bullshit on to an entire ignorant generation. This started over ten years ago. Thanks Ru!

by Anonymousreply 123June 24, 2021 6:58 AM

[quote] Your Pansexual ? Your a Pansexual.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 124June 24, 2021 6:58 AM

R116 I'm less well off than a lot of people here, and so are my friends. After gay marriage was legalized, so many gays I knew thought we'd take on economic issues regarding us, like the large number of gay homeless youth.

But that's not a "sexy" enough issue I guess.

by Anonymousreply 125June 24, 2021 11:49 AM

Yup. I remember when RuPaul started that shit on one of the early Drag Race seasons, R123.

I wonder if he regrets it, since she was devoured by her own woke beast. Trannies now all over the show, woke city, etc. Ah well. He can just collect paychecks and die in peace so he probably doesn't give a fuck anymore.

by Anonymousreply 126June 24, 2021 2:56 PM

"The "transphobic" language is "those dressed as women" rather than "black and brown transwomen."

Except not all "those dressed as women" were black and brown. Many weren't.

by Anonymousreply 127June 24, 2021 9:55 PM

And of course, not everyone "dressed as women" is trans. There is a difference, as everyone will acknowledge when they are not at full shriek and demanding adulation and compensation. Drag Queens dress as women without necessarily being Trans. This whole fiasco gets stupider by the second.

by Anonymousreply 128June 25, 2021 12:01 AM

[quote]Yup. I remember when RuPaul started that shit on one of the early Drag Race seasons,

What shit exactly R126? I remember RuPaul getting viciously cancelled by trans people for using the term "shemail" and removing the terms usage from the serious.

But what did RuPaul do to enable this fiasco to the point of where we are now?

by Anonymousreply 129June 25, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote]Except not all "those dressed as women" were black and brown. Many weren't.

LITERAL ERASURE AND VIOLENCE!

by Anonymousreply 130June 25, 2021 12:48 AM

You're 100% correct R128. Agree with everything you say.

How to fix this? What I would do: All the remaining Stonewall rioters (attendees), remaining police, plus authentic and noted Stonewall scholars and researchers should sit down together in a 2 day conference and craft a "once and for all" definitive and 100% agreed account of exactly WHO was there and WHAT happened on that night. The account should be factually supported by as much evidence as possible such as police reports, photographs and personal accounts of people who were there (including accepted and reputable personal account from those who have died).

This project should be an absolute LGBT priority for all letters of the LGBT. It should be agreed upon, factual and it should end all the disputes. It must be concrete. Once completed, it should be published in book and digital format for anyone to purchase and then be heavily promoted and relied upon as factual by all LGBT organizations, bodies, committees and websites as the one source of the truth.

It's the only way I can think of where we can legitimately end all of this filling in the blanks with assumed emotional bullshit and cancellation of one group by another when they disagree. Like what has happened with Philly’s 2021 LGBTQ ‘Pride lite’ festival.

This has to be done.

by Anonymousreply 131June 25, 2021 2:21 AM

^ Half of the participants are dead.

by Anonymousreply 132June 25, 2021 2:36 AM

Yes. I said [bold]remaining[/bold] R132.

by Anonymousreply 133June 25, 2021 2:39 AM

The doco made about ten years ago.

The men being interviewed described it as an "uprising" rather than a "riot".

And they were conscious that people were trying to re-write and subvert their story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134June 25, 2021 2:55 AM

To (R131), Great Idea!! The trannies would never go for it. The black-browns trannies love to scream all the time, and lately the white gay and lesbians are backing down(and taking their money with them). These trannies are ignoring the History and the pictures,making up their own shit(and they believe it)

by Anonymousreply 135June 25, 2021 3:06 AM

Yes that was excellent R134 - but unfortunately it needs to be done again.

Anything prior to today needs to be revisited with the view to developing one source of the truth. And it needs to be revisited because all stakeholder parties need to attend and agree. They currently don't agree and because they don't/won't there is room for exaggeration, mistruths and concocted fantasy to creep in. Which is what has happened and why we are all in this situation. It's only going to get worse and more divisive. Stonewall was a pivotal moment for the LGBT community and until we all agree with what happened we will see more of what has happened here - cancellations and the dissolving of LGBT groups in disgust.

Thanks R135. It is the only logical solution to this problem that I can think of. They would have to go for it. All LGBT would and then the final agreed report would be the one source of the truth.

by Anonymousreply 136June 25, 2021 3:20 AM

R136 = R131.

by Anonymousreply 137June 25, 2021 3:22 AM

Straights and corporate ruined pride. Too many hall monitors. There's no going back.

by Anonymousreply 138June 25, 2021 3:24 AM

R136 if it didn't focus on trans the uproar would be deafening because people think they know the true history, and to suggest otherwise would be called transphobic.

They are not looking for facts. They are myth-making, and the trans managed to rewrite the story of Stonewall into a trans myth.

What we should do is take stock of all the gay history and freeze it in time with a researched book or documentary, and then give it away to all the formerly gay organizations.

The idea is to lock the stories down before they get twisted any further.

This is just one event in gay history but it's seen as such a big one that it eclipses everything else. Surely there are other events that can be brought up to equal footing.

On shows like Drag Race RuPaul always admonishes the stupider queens that they need to learn "gay history and pop culture".

Why not write a book that does just that? Cover gay history and the cultural influences that shaped it, break it down by decades and major events. There's enough authors and academics on the DL that someone could do it.

The thing that will make the younger generation read it is the pop culture, and it can be given as gifts to young gaylings so they can have a grounded education in gay history and culture. It'd have to be fun, with lots of photos and illustrations, and include enough pop culture icons to attract a wide range of people.

by Anonymousreply 139June 25, 2021 3:32 AM

[quote] They are myth-making

Stupid people love to make myths.

I'm surrounded by myth-makers in my country of Australia. I think that all those Lapsed Catholics and other lapsed religionists are now making up stuff to fill the vaccuum.

by Anonymousreply 140June 25, 2021 3:38 AM

R140 myths are important to a society, and historical events often get mythologized the further and further away from the events you are.

I remember, though, a gay academic who was supposedly an expert on gay history, and he refused to say that the "trans women of color" story was actually a myth. He deflected and talked around it and finally admitted - sort of - that it might or might not be true, but that was as much as he would say on it. And then he filled in the next part of the interview with a lot of positive talk about trans.

This was an academic, a historian, someone who should know better. But even he had bought into the myth so much that he wouldn't tell the truth. It wasn't that he was afraid, he seemed to want it to be true so he glossed over the details in his work.

by Anonymousreply 141June 25, 2021 3:46 AM

I don’t need Gay Pride events anymore. I did when I was younger but I don’t need that support anymore but I did need it then. I’m a senior, white, partnered and well off. I could be married if I wanted to. I don’t face any discrimination and if it happens, it’s not obvious to me. The trans members of the community need these Pride events because they are at the point of their struggle for acceptance where we were many years ago. The movement that we were a part of many years ago is thriving but it’s not for us anymore and that’s okay.

by Anonymousreply 142June 25, 2021 3:49 AM

MichFest being canceled was the canary in the coal mine. I remember many of you issuing a warning and you were right.

by Anonymousreply 143June 25, 2021 4:25 AM

The issue is already lost. Everything is seen as relative now. When people talk about “Their truth “ and how hurt feelings are like literal violence, and all history is just White people subjecting other people into slavery you have lost every argument.

The worst part about this is it is us that have done this.

By trying to make everyone feel good we have fucked ourselves royally up the ass.

By saying to everyone there are no losers, only winners. That you can graduate from Year 1 at school, to everyone is special ,we have created the monster.

by Anonymousreply 144June 25, 2021 5:40 AM

Ru stirred up the whole black drag queen threw the first brick shit on Drag Race early on.

by Anonymousreply 145June 25, 2021 5:44 AM

[quote] That you can graduate from Year 1 at school

Year 1?

by Anonymousreply 146June 25, 2021 5:45 AM

[quote]Ru stirred up the whole black drag queen threw the first brick shit on Drag Race early on.

So call the bitch out on it and don't let her get away with it.

Start a Twitter war.

by Anonymousreply 147June 25, 2021 6:14 AM

I am from a Commonwealth country . Grade 1 ?

by Anonymousreply 148June 25, 2021 6:41 AM

R142 you sound totally disconnected from the reality of what trans activism is now. I understand where you are coming from - a light knowledge of trans issues and the drumbeat of "they're our brothers and sisters" and a desire for them to be happy. You've also probably heard the propaganda of high trans suicides and murders and think 'oh, that's bad' but haven't really looked into it. That's most of the people who sound like you on social media.

Trans activists are not "fighting for acceptance" or "the right to exist". They are fighting to bring back forced gender roles, turn femme boys and butch girls trans, colonize women's sex-based protected spaces, as well as forcing people to use pronouns that either don't line up with reality or are entirely made up "neopronouns".

There is no such thing as a "trans" person. It's people with either gender dysphoria - who need therapy, self-hating gays and lesbians, or people who are attention seeking narcissists. There's also a high number of autistic people attracted to the trans movement.

Most cases of gender dysphoria in children resolve themselves by adulthood, but if the trans activists get involved with puberty blockers, sex change surgeries (body mutilation) and hormones - which are touted as the ONLY solution to gender dysphoria (not true) - they don't have the chance to.

It's the natural evolution of a social media culture of extreme individualism, where everyone must be the star of their own series or it's literal violence. The opposite version of this on the right is the idiots like the Proud Boys and the Jan 6th rioters who are bored nobodies but think they have to be a Hero or otherwise they are just an average person, which has become worse than anything among a large segment of the population.

Trans people are not being murdered at unusual rates, either, and they aren't suiciding themselves at the drop of a hat, as they claim. It's all manipulative, narcissistic bullshit for people who either have gender dysphoria or claim to have it for the attention.

Yet you can't say any of the above without getting accused of transphobia, "ERASING trans people" or "invalidating their existence" which as we all know is LITERAL VIOLENCE. I'm not afraid of trans people, I'm afraid of manipulative psychotics with axes and forced speech.

by Anonymousreply 149June 25, 2021 10:12 AM

Don’t you know? A Trans Sharia Muslim Palestinian Woman named Marshalii Pal Johnstiiii threw the first brick at Stonewall with the support of queer pioneer and activist Yasser Arafat! They threw it against apartheid Israeli Stonewalls and Irish 1960s police trained in Tel Aviv!!!! Stonewall Bar & Gay History appropriates Palestinian culture!

by Anonymousreply 150June 25, 2021 10:30 AM

[quote]Don’t you know? A Trans Sharia Muslim Palestinian Woman named Marshalii Pal Johnstiiii threw the first brick at Stonewall with the support of queer pioneer and activist Yasser Arafat! They threw it against apartheid Israeli Stonewalls and Irish 1960s police trained in Tel Aviv!!!! Stonewall Bar & Gay History appropriates Palestinian culture!

As a nonbinary queer Black candidate for Seattle City Council Position 9, I approve of this message!

by Anonymousreply 151June 25, 2021 11:15 AM

That's quite a story you concocted there, R149. You sound every bit as as crazy and as fucked up as the "trans activists" you despise.

by Anonymousreply 152June 25, 2021 11:19 AM

I don’t agree R152. But I get you trying to dismiss R149 with name calling.

by Anonymousreply 153June 25, 2021 11:36 AM

R129 - Drag Race had a small montage in one of the early episodes of “great” and “influential” drag queens and in it Ru started the apocryphal lie that it was a “drag Queen” who threw the first brick - Marsha.

This was taken by the 11 year old girl and dumb twink sets and spread online with “ACKSHULLY…” talk.

Then Trans appropriated it and it became about trans trans trans.

Then Ru is suddenly transphobic and THE WORST!!!

Full circle. He started it though by trying to be too cute about the role of drag by acting like a drag Queen started stonewall. Whoopsies

by Anonymousreply 154June 25, 2021 1:24 PM

R152 do you have anything specific to back up your comment other than an ad hominem attack? Because that's the first thing trans activists and allies go to when they're arguing on the internet. Do you care to disagree with anything I've said or just attack me because you don't really know what you're talking about, but are offended?

by Anonymousreply 155June 25, 2021 2:13 PM

R154 I don't think it was Ru that started that though, they've been saying the "trans gave us gay rights" thing for the past 15 years, haven't they? Ru definitely helped spread it, however, on more than one season.

by Anonymousreply 156June 25, 2021 2:15 PM

[quote]Do you care to disagree with anything I've said or just attack

That’s all they do. Attack.

by Anonymousreply 157June 25, 2021 2:15 PM

Blue Deplorables, I call them. Just mean and hateful.

by Anonymousreply 158June 25, 2021 2:15 PM

R157 it's because they know if people look at their claims too closely they will unravel. That's why the best they can do is ad hominems, deflection, emotional manipulation, lying, and pseudoscience.

by Anonymousreply 159June 25, 2021 2:16 PM

To R149 and all the other pseudo-intellectual jack asses on this thread: you've done absolutely nothing but concoct a word salad that is comprised of nothing but opinions. You offer no facts and it's highly doubtful if you even know what a fact is, even if it broadsided you like a 2x4 to the head.

In that regard, you're much like Trump, Giuliani and the entire Republican party: pulling shit out of your prolapsed assholes and trying to pass it off a fact.

by Anonymousreply 160June 25, 2021 2:25 PM

R160 so in other words, you have no response other than ad hominem attacks, calling us right wingers, etc.

Got it.

by Anonymousreply 161June 25, 2021 2:29 PM

R142:

You’re a selfish, ungrateful prick. You benefited from having gay pride events/centers and now you say it’s ok to take them away from young gays. IT IS NOT OKAY.

Yes, gay acceptance is higher now than it was 20 years ago, but many young gays and lesbians are raised in homes/communities where they are left to believe that they are sinners, despicable, worthless and not deserving of love and happiness. We have to be there to support these young ones and foster a sense of community.

I’m glad you were fortunate enough to find safe spaces when your balls were still above your knees, but we should make sure these arenas aren’t taken away from future generations more than they have been already.

by Anonymousreply 162June 25, 2021 2:32 PM

When you offer up even the most rudimentary fact based/reality based item that has a modicum of credibility outside of your poor tortured, tormented, demented, perverted world view, we'll talk. Otherwise, sit down and STFU.

by Anonymousreply 163June 25, 2021 2:33 PM

R163 all I hear is "block me! I have nothing valid to add, just namecalling, because I was called out on my lack of knowledge and now I'm doubling down, JUST LIKE TRUMP!"

Wish granted!

by Anonymousreply 164June 25, 2021 2:36 PM

Umm…can we return to the issue - the Pride Parade is cancelled without any plan for how or if it comes back.

Perhaps it’s an indicator of the end of gay pride marches. Like gay bars, they were becoming an anachronism. Trying to stuff every variation of sexual, gender and color “pride” onto one event will make it collapse under its own weight. As evidenced by the ever-lengthening LGQBT+, the coalescing identity or purpose is being expanded to the point of incoherence. Gender identity and sexual identity are not the same thing. Trans marches are totally valid - and probably necessary now. But it is a separate issue from sexual identity.

by Anonymousreply 165June 25, 2021 5:44 PM

R165 what will happen is individual pride parades. Everyone now wants to be unique and special and NOT share the spotlight. That's why the pride flag is being eaten by trans women of color.

by Anonymousreply 166June 25, 2021 5:52 PM

Here come the retarded tranny defenders calling us of "right wingers" for not following their nonsensical narrative and standing by our rights.

Fuck OFF and block.

by Anonymousreply 167June 26, 2021 6:20 AM

Why don’t gays just have small get togethers/BBQs at a metro-park, R166? I’d love that.

by Anonymousreply 168June 26, 2021 12:49 PM

But they DO have a plan for the new pride. It’s going to be free of corporate money, free for all to attend, and staff and performers will all be fairly compensated.

(These people couldn’t organize a sock drawer)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169June 26, 2021 3:17 PM

[quote]Black & brown LGBTQ organizers say they’re in the process of planning an event in its place:

Can white gay people help plan too?

by Anonymousreply 170June 26, 2021 3:39 PM

These fucking "points of unity" read like a parody of woke talking points.

Well, let's see if they get anywhere.

I wonder what will happen when the freaks do their thing or if right-wing nutjobs get violent; will they still refuse to talk to or work with the cops?

by Anonymousreply 171June 26, 2021 3:39 PM

Maybe there could be two pride events r170. Two alike, but separate.

Separate but equal. Separate but equal.

Sounds familiar. Not sure where I've heard that before.

by Anonymousreply 172June 26, 2021 5:45 PM

In one of its points it says " We agree that Pride in Philadelphia must be a black and brown-led event. This reflects the demography of our city." Also, "that Pride must center Black, Latinx, and Indigenous people in our storytelling at its core."

So - white people - give us everything and maybe we will allow you to attend as 'guests'. Also - no stories about your past - all stories should be focused around black and Latinx people.

White gays and lesbians are really no longer wanted at the Pride celebrations they created and promoted for decades. They just want us to hand over the keys to the house we built and paid for and wander around aimlessly.

by Anonymousreply 173June 26, 2021 7:14 PM

One of the wonderful things about being gay/lesbian when I was young was a rejection of the rules.

These people are nothing but rules.

by Anonymousreply 174June 27, 2021 12:11 AM

[quote] a rejection of the rules.

Yes I remember. It was called Gay Liberation.

Now it's all subservience to bourgeois middle-class family-worshipping conformism. And we must pretend to be eunuchs.

by Anonymousreply 175June 27, 2021 12:16 AM

[quote]Now it's all subservience to bourgeois middle-class family-worshipping conformism. And we must pretend to be eunuchs.

One of the infinite number of sad things about AIDS is that it took out many of the rebels.

Can you imagine David Wojnarowicz, Cookie Mueller, or Klaus Nomi (just to name a few) fretting over this crap?

by Anonymousreply 176June 27, 2021 1:52 AM

[quote] These fucking "points of unity" read like a parody of woke talking points.

I’ll be shocked if they’re able to accomplish anything. They have so many rules to conform to and so many hoops to jump through, it is highly unlikely that they will be able to pull together any events that would attract the attention or interest of many people.

Plus they will discover very quickly that they will have very little money to work with. I can assure them that trying to raise money by simply holding unsponsored events is a lot like chasing your own tail: completely exhausting and ultimately futile.

I get the nostalgia for the old-time Pride events. I remember them fondly and participated in many of them. They were pulled together on a shoestring and generated a lot of fun and excitement. They were entirely appropriate for the times in which they existed, but it is not likely that they would be anywhere near as successful if replicated today. But, I guess Philly is about to find out just what people are interested in attending. I wonder how long it will be before this crowd realizes how much work this entails and gives up.

by Anonymousreply 177June 27, 2021 2:19 AM

I find the Point of Unity about including Outcasts interesting. Some people who are outcasts like being outcasts. They don't want to belong. What to do with people like them--the happy to be outcast?

One of the conudrums of the woke movements like this, is that they make a big deal about wanting to be all inclusive. But it's impossible to be all inclusive, someone, somehow and someway, will feel excluded and be excluded. And of course there are those who don't want to be included anyway.

by Anonymousreply 178June 27, 2021 2:32 AM

[italic]"We agree that PRIDE must be a Black and Brown LGBTQI-led event" and "We agree that PRIDE must center Black, Latinx, Indigenous people in our storytelling at its core".[/italic]

That's from the Points of Unity list.

I don't usually buy into this discussion on DL because much of it is just pointless trolling and new ways to shit all over trans people - but as a gay male and even worse, a white gay male - I feel totally erased. As if I have done something wrong. As if I am something to be angry at and ashamed of. From people in the LGBT+ community. Did I do something wrong?

I'm the one upthread - R131 - who suggested that all LGBT+ stakeholders sit down, discuss and agree on an official, final, agreed sequence of events regarding Stonewall which would be published, promoted and accepted as "one source of the truth". Now I believe I can see why that could never happen and is almost insurmountable.

I guess the next question that comes to mind is - how did we get HERE?

And now what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179June 27, 2021 2:39 AM

r173 Asians are also excluded, over 7% of the city. So much for #StopAsianHate

by Anonymousreply 180June 27, 2021 2:45 AM

What “Indigenous stories” will be featured? Absolutely none unless they can find some Lenape around. So that part is total bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 181June 27, 2021 3:01 AM

We can expect that there will be a lot of pressure in coming years for this to happen in other cities all around the country.

by Anonymousreply 182June 27, 2021 3:02 AM

I have stopped going to these so-called Pride things.

My grandmother warned me that 'Pride Goeth Before A Fall'.

And those current 'festivals' are falling into an abyss of stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 183June 27, 2021 3:13 AM

Shit like this is why I have no involvement with the community. No good can come of it.

by Anonymousreply 184June 27, 2021 3:53 AM

Just pull all your donations to any organisation that has -TQIA+ attached to it. Let's see how they get anything organised relying on donations from queer, trans and non-binary sex workers.

Empty vessels = empty wallets.

by Anonymousreply 185June 27, 2021 4:57 AM

[quote] Gay history is erased.

If you'd paid attention a lot of that sort of stuff is happening lately. And we were warned.

“𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒓𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒓𝒅 𝒉𝒂𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒚𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒓 𝒇𝒂𝒍𝒔𝒊𝒇𝒊𝒆𝒅, 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒃𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒓𝒆𝒘𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒏, 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒑𝒊𝒄𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒓𝒆𝒑𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒅, 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒕𝒖𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒕 𝒃𝒖𝒊𝒍𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒉𝒂𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒅, 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒅𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒂𝒍𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒅. 𝑨𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒄𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒖𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒃𝒚 𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒖𝒕𝒆 𝒃𝒚 𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒖𝒕𝒆."

by Anonymousreply 186June 27, 2021 5:01 AM

Orwell was SO prescient, it's scary!

by Anonymousreply 187June 27, 2021 5:04 AM

The only thing he got wrong was the date.

by Anonymousreply 188June 27, 2021 5:25 AM

The Philly Pride organizing committee got excoriated and “cancelled” for publishing something — “men dreaded as women” — that is considered to be an accurate account of what occurred at the Stonewall Inn in June 1969.

That should frighten just about everyone.

by Anonymousreply 189June 27, 2021 6:53 AM

☝️☝️“dressed”

by Anonymousreply 190June 27, 2021 12:36 PM

[quote] The sooner we get rid of the alphabet 'lead balloon' tethered to our resources and identity, the better

Yes, the 'lead balloon' seems determined to divide us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191June 27, 2021 12:40 PM

Andrew Doyle hits the nail on the head: “No one cares.”

by Anonymousreply 192June 27, 2021 1:28 PM

All those flags other than the six-stripe rainbow flag constitute sexual imperialism.

by Anonymousreply 193June 27, 2021 3:22 PM

Gay pride has nothing to do about race. If you want to celebrate black heritage or indigenous history or trans awareness. Great. Have a parade. Why do they have to take over gay pride and why did we allow it?

by Anonymousreply 194June 27, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote]Why do they have to take over gay pride and why did we allow it?

Larry Kramer asked the thing back in the 80s regarding HIV/AIDS. I don’t understand the apathy in the gay community. A minority of gays fight back but when you’re asking “why do we allow this to happen” time and time again, you know the majority may just not care. Or are too ashamed and self-loathing. Or all of the above. I feel defeated, personally. I see gay rights as a lost cause.

by Anonymousreply 195June 27, 2021 4:49 PM

*same thing

by Anonymousreply 196June 27, 2021 4:49 PM

R195, you had me up until that last sentence. Gay rights is not a lost cause. They stole our lives. They stole our bodies. They stole our lived experiences. They stole our identity. They destroyed our next generation. This will not go unpunished.

by Anonymousreply 197June 27, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote] Why do they have to take over gay pride and why did we allow it?

Cause you are afraid of them, both physically and politically.

by Anonymousreply 198June 28, 2021 12:21 AM

[quote] you know the majority may just not care.

No one cares as long as each June some group of volunteers do the necessary work to put on Pride events. Most people are happy to participate, but not interested in the political squabbles. I guess we’ll see what the Philly people have in store for the next celebration, and whether the Philly community finds that satisfactory.

by Anonymousreply 199June 28, 2021 1:10 AM

In general, Philly finds pretty much everything satisfactory.

by Anonymousreply 200June 28, 2021 1:15 AM

There were political squabbles about our city's pride events 30 years ago. It's nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 201June 28, 2021 2:09 AM

Since trans hitched their wagon to LGB to get legitimacy and funding, now they've wrung us dry they've moved on to BLM.

by Anonymousreply 202June 28, 2021 2:21 AM

Yeah, this’s a “squabble”, R201. But it’s that apathy that’s so frustrating.

by Anonymousreply 203June 28, 2021 3:23 AM

This isn’t a*

by Anonymousreply 204June 28, 2021 3:23 AM

I think billionaires fund the trans stuff. Especially the ones of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 205June 28, 2021 3:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!