Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Olympics-NZ weightlifter Hubbard to become first transgender athlete to compete at Games

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - Weightlifter Laurel Hubbard will become the first transgender athlete to compete at the Olympics after being selected by New Zealand for the women's event at the Tokyo Games, a decision set to reignite a debate over inclusion and fairness in sport.

Hubbard will compete in the super-heavyweight 87+kg category, her selection made possible by an update to qualifying requirements in May.

The 43-year-old, who will be the oldest lifter at the Games, had competed in men's weightlifting competitions before transitioning in 2013.

"I am grateful and humbled by the kindness and support that has been given to me by so many New Zealanders," Hubbard said in a statement issued by the New Zealand Olympic Committee (NZOC) on Monday.

NZOC chief Kereyn Smith said it was an "historic moment in sport and for the New Zealand team."

"She is our first Olympian who has transitioned from male to female," she told reporters.

"We do know that there are many questions about fairness of transgender athletes competing in the Olympic Games but I would like to take this opportunity to remind us all that Laurel has met all of the required criteria."

Hubbard has been eligible to compete at Olympics since 2015, when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) issued guidelines allowing any transgender athlete to compete as a woman provided their testosterone levels are below 10 nanomoles per litre for at least 12 months before their first competition.

Some scientists have said the guidelines do little to mitigate the biological advantages of those who have gone through puberty as males.

Advocates for transgender inclusion argue the process of transition decreases that advantage considerably, and that physical differences between athletes mean there is never truly a level playing field.

The New Zealand government gave its support.

"We are proud of her as we are of all our athletes, and will be supporting her all the way," Sports Minister Grant Robertson said.

Weightlifting has been at the centre of the debate over the fairness of transgender athletes competing against women, and Hubbard's presence in Tokyo could prove divisive.

Save Women's Sport Australasia, a group opposed to transgender women competing in women's sports, said Hubbard's selection was allowed by "flawed policy from the IOC".

"Males do have a performance advantage that is based on their biological sex," the group's co-founder Katherine Deves told Reuters TV.

"They outperform us on every single metric - speed, stamina, strength. Picking testosterone is a red herring ... We are forgetting about the anatomy, the fast, rich muscle, the bigger organs."

The IOC has consistently said it is committed to inclusion but the organisation is also reviewing its guidelines to take into account the "perceived tension between fairness/safety and inclusion/non-discrimination".

Hubbard's gold medal wins at the 2019 Pacific Games in Samoa, where she topped the podium ahead of Samoa's Commonwealth Games champion Feagaiga Stowers, triggered outrage in the host nation.

Samoa's weightlifting boss said Hubbard's selection for Tokyo would be like letting athletes dope and feared it could cost the small Pacific nation a medal.

Belgian weightlifter Anna Vanbellinghen said last month allowing Hubbard to compete at Tokyo was unfair for women and "like a bad joke".

Former New Zealand weightlifter Tracey Lambrechs said she had to make way in the super-heavyweight category at the Commonwealth Games for Hubbard.

"When I was told to drop the category because Laurel was obviously going to be their number one super, it was heartbreaking, like super soul-destroying," the Olympian told TVNZ.

"And it's unfortunate that some female, somewhere is like, 'Well I'm going to miss out on going to the Olympics, on achieving my dream, representing my country because a transgendered athlete is able to compete."

Hubbard, who injured herself during competition at the Commonwealth Games and thought her career was over, thanked New Zealanders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2021 7:46 AM

"Your support, your encouragement, and your aroha (love)carried me through the darkness," she said.

Another transgender athlete, BMX rider Chelsea Wolfe, will travel to Tokyo as part of the United States team, but is named as an alternate and not assured of competing.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2021 6:52 PM

***BREAKING NEWS***

MAN can lift heavier weights than women can.

Story at 11.

Might as well cancel the event. It's a total fucking farce, now that this man can compete.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2021 6:53 PM

I don't care what you say, the man should have to kill the bug!

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2021 6:55 PM

The silver winner should walk up to the podium and claw that gold medal right off their neck.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote] The silver winner should walk up to the podium and claw that gold medal right off their neck.

HIS neck.

There, I fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2021 6:57 PM

This woman should be ashamed. How could anyone be proud to win knowing they have such an unfair advantage and taken someone else's slot. And she really needs to femme it up per that picture. Wear a pink tanktop, some makeup and get some breasts - that's what being a woman is all about isn't it? C'mon lady.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2021 8:24 PM

And a tutu, r6, or in this case a four-four.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2021 8:50 PM

A beautiful story and a beautiful woman. Everyone hates too much.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2021 8:53 PM

This is OP's THIRD thread about this. So desperate.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2021 8:54 PM

Superb trolling r8

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2021 8:59 PM

Austin Powers says...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2021 9:01 PM

[quote]This woman should be ashamed. How could anyone be proud to win knowing they have such an unfair advantage and taken someone else's slot.

This really is the crux of it for me. I have no objection to Laurel living her life as a woman, but sometimes those decisions come with sacrifices. You'd have to be incredibly self-centered (or misogynistic) to think you can waltz into a women's weightlifting competition after spending 35 years as a man and think you rightfully belong there.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2021 9:03 PM

Apparently they met the requirements when it came to testosterone rate and the time in which they’ve been on hormones for.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2021 9:05 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2021 9:07 PM

This will be hilarious, and sad. It's the death knell for the Olympic Games. Before, they seemed to at least try and make it fair. At least fair enough to make it watchable. This will be like The Emperor's New Clothes, woke edition. It's over.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2021 9:07 PM

An actual response to this from another web site:

It's funny to see gays subscribing to biological essentialism that harms trans women despite the ideology also framing homosexuality as inherently unnatural since a male's testicles' natural function is to produce SPERM for EGGS produced by a female and not to be shot down the hole of some some popper-sniffing twink in a k-hole at pride while "Rain On Me" plays, but I guess cis-ness tricks some gay men into perpetuating reactionary ideologies that frame their existence as a unnatural mistake too.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2021 9:14 PM

I want Laurel to win so badly; if a bio-woman wins it will only “prove” that there is no unfair advantage to a bio-male competing with women.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2021 6:12 AM

Excellent point, r17.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2021 6:29 AM

At 43 Hubbard will be the oldest woman competing in the sport and the overwhelming favorite to win gold [over bio women in their prime physical peak].

What a joke. Gays stay far away from the LGBT+++ train or you'll be dragged with the rest of the freakshow.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2021 6:48 AM

[quote] It's funny to see gays subscribing to biological essentialism that harms trans women despite the ideology also framing homosexuality as inherently unnatural since a male's testicles' natural function is to produce SPERM for EGGS produced by a female and not to be shot down the hole of some some popper-sniffing twink in a k-hole at pride while "Rain On Me" plays, but I guess cis-ness tricks some gay men into perpetuating reactionary ideologies that frame their existence as a unnatural mistake too.

Let me guess, this was written by lady who used to be a gay guy and since her transition has discovered that straight men don’t want to fuck her because she’s so ugly and she’s bitter that gays are getting plentiful dick.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2021 6:56 AM

Athletes participating in the Olympics used to have to undergo sex tests to ascertain that they were indeed the sex they claimed to be to preserve fairness in competition. I guess that's been sacrificed on the alter of political correctness.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2021 6:57 AM

[quote] if a bio-woman wins it will only “prove” that there is no unfair advantage to a bio-male competing with women.

r17 He gets to kill two birds with one stone by doing this. If he wins, good for him. If he loses, he can still advance that TRA propaganda so that more people accept this.

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2021 7:04 AM

OK. I am now a 'woman' and will be competing in the women's singles event at Grand Slams and the Olympics from now on.

Martina Navratilova, start weeping. I am going to win 25 Wimbledons and will be winning until I am in my sixties. Serena Williams, you will never get your #24. Grand Slam every year for me, ladies!

Mirka, you're getting a walk-in closet filled with cakes and bonbons.

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2021 7:08 AM

Perhaps Jonah Lomu should start playing Women’s Rugby

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2021 11:12 AM

If they're letting "her" enter by taking drugs to decrease testosterone, then they should let females take steroids to increase theirs, just like the good old days when Chinese and Russian athletes were doing it. Then the playing field will be level.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2021 11:17 AM

R12 summed it up perfectly

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2021 11:21 AM

I wish her well and cheer her on.

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2021 11:24 AM

Trans is a form of autism.

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2021 11:27 AM

NO! You may not compete using hormones or drugs that enhance performance!! We’ll disgrace you and drum you out for cheating, CHEATER!

WAIT: you use hormones to suppress the gender you born into, to enable a muscular advantage over other competitors?

Step right this way Sir — I mean Madam!

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2021 11:28 AM

Am really looking forward to the Russians and Chinese fielding an army of he-she athletes, with shoulders like linebackers.

by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2021 11:34 AM

All this fuss over three shiny medals.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2021 11:36 AM

Interviewer: “And when did you transition Boris?”

B: “Last veek. Any qvestions!?”

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2021 11:36 AM

Is that cheat Caster Semenya competing at the Olympics again?

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2021 11:37 AM

So Brave!

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2021 11:37 AM

There's a certain amusement in watching a movement almost entirely pushed by women result in women being hoisted on their own petard.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2021 6:01 PM

Did she win? Did she get the gold?

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2021 6:08 PM

Well, I'm now a woman, I identify as a size two and this sheath dress is transphobic.

by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2021 7:30 PM

[quote]There's a certain amusement in watching a movement almost entirely pushed by women result in women being hoisted on their own petard.

No, there isn't, unless you're a woman-hater. And in any case the trans movement is being pushed largely by men who have transitioned to being women.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2021 8:18 PM

Hubbard has to win. It'll be delicious.

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2021 8:21 PM

R38 The trans community is tiny. If every single MTF was involved in 24/7 activism, their voice would still be unheard.

That means they need mainstream support and like all social justice movements, it's mainly pushed by women. And if we want to be more specific, then it's young, college educated, white women. ​No non-trans straight men and at least half of gay men don't care about trans rights (and even if every gay man was pro-trans, it would only account for 2% of the population).

So, yet again, the egotistical, orgasmic suicidal empathy of women leads to more problems for other women.

Aunt Lydia would be proud if she wasn't so Jesusy.

by Anonymousreply 40June 23, 2021 8:38 PM

Just think of how many more medals I could have won, if they had let real women like me compete.

by Anonymousreply 41June 23, 2021 8:52 PM

Not in heels, dear.

by Anonymousreply 42June 23, 2021 11:33 PM

The issue is complicated. I think the worst part is that this asshole will probably win gold.

by Anonymousreply 43June 23, 2021 11:52 PM

In the future, all Olympic athletes will be either men or men in dresses.

by Anonymousreply 44June 23, 2021 11:58 PM

Excuse me? I've been through this shit before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2021 12:05 AM

He definitely hasn't had surgery, lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 24, 2021 12:17 AM

The response to this is universally negative. The favorite going into the Olympics is a Chinese woman who was born in 2000, 22 years younger than Hubbard. For world class female weightlifters the peak age is early to mid 20’s.

While we’re on the subject of frauds could someone please do a Yashar line article on Chris mosier the fake almost Olympian and Charlotte Clymer the fake trans fake feminist.

by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2021 3:45 AM

This Norwegian writer nailed it. Called it unfair. He also said it could mean the death of women's sports.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 1, 2021 9:29 PM

I hope he wins against one or more black women who complain about the unfairness of it all. Just to see whom the SJWs will then side with. Will they suddenly advocate silencing women of color to appease a privileged white person?

by Anonymousreply 49August 1, 2021 9:43 PM

I was happy to see that none of the women's sprint medalists from 2016 were allowed to compete this year. Caster Semenya and the two dudes (I don't know if they are trans or what, but you could tell they were very different from female runners) They apperently all failed the testosterobe requirement, I thought this meant sanity returned to the Olympic games. Not so fast, I guess.

But actual women won the sprint this year at least.

by Anonymousreply 50August 1, 2021 9:54 PM

The sprinters are NOT trans. They are simply women with naturally high testosterone levels. The fact that they are barred and this trans person is allowed to compete is deranged.

by Anonymousreply 51August 2, 2021 6:13 AM

R51, I thought Semenya was also born with underdeveloped testes.

by Anonymousreply 52August 2, 2021 6:17 AM

Semenya is XY

by Anonymousreply 53August 2, 2021 7:04 AM

Yeah, Semenya etc are not women. Exploitation of a loophole.

by Anonymousreply 54August 2, 2021 7:28 AM

BBC calling y'all committing "hate crime"

The same goes for CNN (who loudly talked about "XY [bold]female[/bold]"), NYT, Washington Post, MSNBC, CBS, NPR, not to mention unhinged Guardian and so on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 2, 2021 7:36 AM

[quote]He definitely hasn't had surgery, lol.

r46, Most MTFs don't and have no such desire (keeping their manhood intact). They have POV "lesbian sex" with female partners.

by Anonymousreply 56August 2, 2021 7:38 AM

R54 So in which category should people like them compete? Since they aren't women not men?

by Anonymousreply 57August 2, 2021 7:40 AM

[quote] I hope he wins against one or more black women who complain about the unfairness of it all. Just to see whom the SJWs will then side with. Will they suddenly advocate silencing women of color to appease a privileged white person?

r49 I've seen many fights between Trans/Trans Rights Activists vs. Blacks and/or Muslims. Almost always Trans/TRAs win with woke SJWs' (lots of them who have pretentiously preached against "anti-Black, Islamophobia, etc.") fervent support.

by Anonymousreply 58August 2, 2021 7:41 AM

[quote] r54 So in which category should people like them compete? Since they aren't women not men?

r57 Just like trans-identified males (that are different from XY intersex males like Castor, etc.): Either their own categories (just like Paralympics) or according to their own sex (XY males).

There have been quite numerous cheating going on, apart from Castor. They either refuse to remove their [bold]internal testes[/bold] (no women, including abnormally muscular women with higher testosterone have that) or have testosterone levels that are beyond those of extremely muscular women with some conditions (who are still not intersex).

by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2021 7:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!