Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gunther from Friends has stage 4 prostate cancer diagnosis

James Michael Tyler, the actor best known for playing Gunther - Central Perk's sarcastic coffee shop owner on NBC's hit sitcom Friends - has revealed he's fighting stage 4 prostate cancer.

The actor appeared on Today Monday to discuss his struggles with the disease since his initial diagnosis in 2018, telling NBC anchor Craig Melvin that because he didn't catch the cancer early, it spread more rapidly than usual. During the pandemic, the actor became paralyzed from the waist down due to tumors that grew on his spine.

"For my specific prognoses... it's stage 4. Late-stage cancer," Tyler explained. "So eventually, you know, it's gonna probably get me."

While Tyler's illness kept him from appearing in person at the recent Friends reunion, the actor was determined to remain a part of the event.

"I wanted to be a part of that, and initially I was going to be on the stage, at least, with them, and be able to take part in all the festivities," Tyler told Today. "It was bittersweet, honestly. I was very happy to be included. It was my decision not to be a part of that physically and make an appearance on Zoom, basically, because I didn't wanna bring a downer on it, you know? I didn't want to be like, 'Oh, and by the way, Gunther has cancer.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2021 11:18 PM

How sad. Here’s an article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2021 6:58 PM

The Donny and Marie Show was better than Friends.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2021 7:03 PM

And everybody thought Chandler would be the first to go. Looks like it may be Gunther. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2021 7:47 PM

R2, Fuck off!

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2021 9:20 PM

He’s straight it seems. Always assumed he was one of us. He got divorced from a woman in 2014 after a long marriage.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2021 9:29 PM

R2 not that I even disagree, but certainly not the point of OP's post

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2021 9:30 PM

And this way he doesn't have to share the screen with the six leads.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2021 9:45 PM

Another gay... ( long-term hag wife, no children). Scientists must explore the effect of HIV on Covid.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2021 9:55 PM

Anybody know what his pay for Friends was and what his residuals are?

by Anonymousreply 9June 24, 2021 10:02 AM

A reminder to everyone to get checked...I'm not old enough to have my insurance cover a prostate exam, but I still get my PSA level tested every year. 1 in 6 guys will have prostate cancer; a fact I didn't know until my father caught his prostate cancer very early.

by Anonymousreply 10June 24, 2021 10:09 AM

Well said, R10. My own dad wasn't diagnosed early enough. He was a smart man, but unfortunately seemed to believe that he was indestructible. By the time he was diagnosed, the cancer was beginning to spread to the bones, and his hip fractured spontaneously. He died five months after being diagnosed.

by Anonymousreply 11June 24, 2021 10:18 AM

All that pining for Jennifer Aniston. And all he got was cancer!

by Anonymousreply 12June 24, 2021 10:55 AM

Gunther died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2021 10:26 PM

Cancer is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2021 10:32 PM

Farewell James Michael Tyler...

by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2021 10:35 PM

First Peter Scolari

Second Gunther

Hope there isn't a #3 actor cancer death.

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2021 10:48 PM

[quote]R16: Hope there isn't a #3 actor cancer death.

Why, R16? Because you want to hold out for an actress murder?

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2021 10:59 PM

Just looking at the same cause of death connection for the "comes in 3s" superstition.

Been a rough week in Hollywood, though.

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2021 11:05 PM

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2021 11:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!